PDA

View Full Version : linux distributions

MadsRH
February 10th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Hi
I want to start a discussion about the energy developers put into all the different distributions.
Many users feel that the difference between the different distributions is very small.
I want to know if you think some of the distributions never sould have been "born" and that developeres rather should focus their energy on making one distribution the very best.
Are there too many neglected distributions? Would the result be better if the effort was focused on one?

I hope you'll all join this discussion and share you point of view.
MadsRH

quinnten83
February 10th, 2008, 11:15 AM
survival of the fittest takes care of which distribution remains standing.
also different needs and freedom of choice should be considered here. One distro does not provide the options some people need or want, so it is good that there are several. What I think we need though, is some standardisation, like wich package type to use and where all the files should go in the structure. If installing is the same on all distro's than the "lets make one distro to rule them all" discussion becomes moot!

Incense
February 10th, 2008, 01:04 PM
It really is all about choice here. As much as I love Ubuntu, I would hate if I didn't have a choice to go to OpenSUSE, or Fedora, or Debain... and what would be next? Would Gnome be the ONLY DE because the Devs don't want to deal with KDE or XFCE? Would I have to use APT or YUM?

For now I see the Distro wars as a good thing. Everyone still releases most things under the GPL, and so when release time comes around everyone benefits from the work the other guys are doing.

dnns123
February 10th, 2008, 02:14 PM
The "Underdog challenging the champ" story always intrigues me :P