PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried Cairo Composite Manager?

Mazza558
February 9th, 2008, 11:42 PM
http://cairo-compmgr.tuxfamily.org/

Basically a composite manager similar to Compiz but a lot easier on resources, and lets you run programs like Screenlets and AWN properly without the loss of performance.

SunnyRabbiera
February 10th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Looks interesting, maybe a good alternative for people with lower specs...

23meg
February 10th, 2008, 01:39 AM
a lot easier on resources

without the loss of performance.

people with lower specs...

As long as it runs with XRender or badly accelerated Glitz on low-end hardware, I don't see how it's easier on resources.

In other news, Metacity now has a compositor built in (which also uses Xrender).

dragobr
February 10th, 2008, 02:04 AM
someone might also use xcompmgr.. one of the first composite managers ive heard about... :)

SunnyRabbiera
February 10th, 2008, 02:21 AM
As long as it runs with XRender or badly accelerated Glitz on low-end hardware, I don't see how it's easier on resources.

In other news, Metacity now has a compositor built in (which also uses Xrender).

well I did use the term "maybe"

FuturePilot
February 10th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Yeah, definitely not lower on resources. Compiz runs ok on my laptop minus the black windows. But I tried Cairo Composite Manager and it was painfully slow and extremely intensive on the CPU

lsd
July 31st, 2008, 07:04 PM
Just a clone of XCompMgr but slower. I've tested it within XFCE and it sucks. Best option (in my opinion) is the XFCE's own compositor. Just try to move a big window like Firefox (not "really" GTK) with each one and compare. And activate shadows, transparency and everything you could to ensure bloating.

picpak
July 31st, 2008, 07:49 PM
After using Metacity's compositor and then xcompmgr, I gave this one a try and didn't like it at all. It was slower and turned my background black. I ended up solving my compositor problem by not using one at all and using SimDock instead of AWN.