PDA

View Full Version : A list of places where linux is used/going to be used.

barbedsaber
February 9th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I am trying to make a list to prove that linux isn't just a few nerdy kids living in their mums basment's

I can only think of 2 tho

the french police
all russian school by 2009.

can you add to the list?

JeffoOfMetal
February 9th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Businesses like AutoZone and Lowe's.

Two places I know they use some kind of Linux.

hyperair
February 9th, 2008, 08:08 AM
What about web servers? I'm pretty sure Google's web servers use Linux, same goes for many webhosting companies.

barbedsaber
February 9th, 2008, 08:11 AM
As far as I know, almost every server in the world uses linux, and I am pretty sure a lot of small devices use the kernel, I believe the tomtom GPS systems use it.

dnns123
February 9th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Everything thats electronic, even my electric shaver :lolflag:

k2t0f12d
February 9th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Every digital television exported from Asia.

barbedsaber
February 9th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Every digital television exported from Asia.

omg, is he kidding?

dnns123
February 9th, 2008, 01:04 PM
omg, is he kidding?

"Made In China"

fatality_uk
February 9th, 2008, 01:18 PM
There are so many.
For instance Toyota use a vast amount of Linux
My Asus eeePC :D
My TV etc
A good google search will yield better results

popch
February 9th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Munich, Germany

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/80071

scotty32
February 9th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Apparently the US Army (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/05/us_army_linux_integration/)?

popch
February 9th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Solothurn, one of the states ('cantons') of Switzerland, has migrated all servers to Linux and is about to migrate all ~2000 clients from Windows to Linux. Client migration started 06/2006, no end date is given.

Sources: google for 'Solothurn linux'; all sources in German, alas

barbedsaber
February 9th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Apparently the US Army (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/05/us_army_linux_integration/)?

does linux have nuclear wepon control software, and what about when they plug in the missles, and the big red blow up the world butten, some people say linux causing SOME hardware to do craziy things is not the end of the world but ... :lolflag::lolflag:

patagonik
February 9th, 2008, 02:07 PM
The French Parliament migrated to linux a couple of years ago... even if they were discussing to totally block open source software... and some of the major oil companies use RedHat (mainly) to run interpretation and modeling software in geosciences.

barbedsaber
February 9th, 2008, 02:32 PM
was just reaching behind my desk in search of food (lol) when I found this in linux user an developer no 71

"Peugeot in huge desktop Linux rollout

Novell has announced a new deal to supply Europe's second largest car manufacturar, PSA peugeto Citroen, with up to 20,00 linux desktops and 2.500 Linux servers." and so on and so forth. It says somthing about SUSE linux enterprise.

that seems umm big.

El_Belgicano
February 10th, 2008, 10:45 AM
does linux have nuclear wepon control software, and what about when they plug in the missles, and the big red blow up the world butten, some people say linux causing SOME hardware to do craziy things is not the end of the world but ... :lolflag::lolflag:

Don't tell me you were exspecting the US Army to thrust their nuclear weapons to Windows lol, Just waiting for a security update when a new virus comes out ... and when starting the launch procedure ...getting a BSOD ... :lolflag: