PDA

View Full Version : Domain Name

wharp
February 9th, 2008, 12:38 AM
A question was raised in the meeting about registering a domain name for the LoCo. Someone mentioned that it had been discussed at a previous time, but the team decided to focus on content for the moment.

Is this something we want to pursue? I don't mind spending a few bucks to register it. If it is something we want to do, any suggestions as to what it should be?

palintheus
February 9th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Since registration is really cheap, and we already have space/hosting donated by Mike I think we should. What the actual domain should be...something relevant and very easy to remember, both ubuntula.com and ubuntu-la.com are avail, if thats the way we decide to go.

wharp
February 10th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Wouldn't a .org address be more relevant?

palintheus
February 10th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Sure, although the intended uses for the TLD's aren't really what they are used for anymore.

r2d2rogers
February 11th, 2008, 05:29 PM
What are the rules about habint "Ubuntu" in the domain? I've noticed other teams were not using ubuntu?

-R2

palintheus
February 11th, 2008, 05:34 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

wharp
February 12th, 2008, 04:44 AM
It looks like we'll need to get a license to use Ubuntu in a domain name. I don't see it being a problem unless they want us to wait until we're an officially recognized/approved LoCo.

I think we should decide on the domain name we'd like to use and then have someone start the process of getting the trademark license.

Should we use -la or -louisiana? I always think people will assume Los Angeles when using la on things. What about following the syntax of our irc channel? ubuntu-us-la.org? What do other LoCos have as their domain name?

wharp
February 21st, 2008, 08:11 PM
It looks like we have an answer about what domain name to use: http://www.ubuntu-la.org/

palintheus
February 21st, 2008, 08:21 PM
hmm it says thats for country code LA...is there a country with that code??

wharp
February 21st, 2008, 08:27 PM
Ok, scratch that. I think that's for Laos.

http://www.ubuntu-us.org/

That shows what other teams are using. There seem to be several using state.ubuntu-us.org.

michaelramm
February 27th, 2008, 05:23 PM
It looks like we'll need to get a license to use Ubuntu in a domain name. I don't see it being a problem unless they want us to wait until we're an officially recognized/approved LoCo.

Actually, I don't think that we do:

Permitted Use

Certain usages of the Trademarks are fine and no specific permission from us is needed.

Community Advocacy. Ubuntu is built by, and largely for, its community. We share access to the Trademarks with the entire community for the purposes of discussion, development and advocacy.

I think that we are ok, under this stipulation.

Michael

wharp
February 28th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I think that might be irrelevant. We have been trying to follow other LoCo teams as far as consistency is concerned. I know there were opinions for and against this, but I believe we would have the option of using http://louisiana.ubuntu-us.org/.

But even if we decide against that and choose a different name I would prefer to err on the side of caution and check before registering a domain.

palintheus
February 28th, 2008, 05:41 AM
I still don't see how its consistant when only 4 teams have that style according to ubuntu-us.org. If that is the plan for all the states, then I agree, but I haven't seen anything like that. So, if we can make it as short, rememberable and relavent as possible I think that would be better.

r2d2rogers
February 28th, 2008, 05:21 PM
When in doubt, Ask!

09:48:32 [ r2d2rogers] cross question from me in -locoteams: What seems to be the consensus
about domain name format for a loco team?
09:52:16 [ Zelut] r2d2rogers: state.ubuntu-us.org
09:52:33 [ Zelut] r2d2rogers: once your team is approved we can get you all setup with that.
09:54:46 [ r2d2rogers] Cool
09:54:47 [ Zelut] prior to that it is suggested to use your team wiki as your web presence.
09:55:20 [ r2d2rogers] is is full louisiana.... or is la... ok too?
09:55:57 [ r2d2rogers] if we use that domain is it required that we use the canonical
hosting?
09:56:03 [ Zelut] no
09:57:13 [ r2d2rogers] So we can use our own hosting and use the state.ubuntu-us.org
09:58:18 [ r2d2rogers] is it possible to get the abbriviation as an alias or pointer to the
longname.ubuntu-us.org?
10:16:20 [ Zelut] r2d2rogers: probably
10:16:38 [ r2d2rogers] Great
10:16:58 [ r2d2rogers] our debate in team was wanting to keep it short and easy to share.
10:17:03 [ r2d2rogers] Thanks!

Any Questions?

jms1989
February 28th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Works for me!

droops
March 27th, 2008, 10:21 PM
what if we used, ubuntu.louisianalinux.org?

wharp
March 27th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I think we've decided that we're doing louisiana.ubuntu-us.org once we're approved.

Plus, if louisianalinux.org is going to be a non-LoCo endeavor I don't know that we want to seem to be affiliated. My two cents.

palintheus
March 28th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I think that would be nice redirect, but like Wes said, I think the actual site should be seperated since it has been made clear that that site will be a seperate endevour.

r2d2rogers
March 28th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I'm thinking that it would be a good URL to use until we are an approved team. I really think more can be done with the web presence than a wiki can provide.

I think after the next meeting I'll put up a poll on Launchpad about it.

palintheus
March 28th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I think after the next meeting I'll put up a poll on Launchpad about it.

any reason not to put up a poll now?

r2d2rogers
March 28th, 2008, 09:55 PM
any more options?

- Wait for Approval to get a domain and use ubuntu.louisianalinux.org only as a redirect to the wiki
- Build a website and use ubuntu.louisianalinux.org as the domain until approval then redirect it to the domain under ubuntu-us.org
- Don't use ubuntu.lousisianalinux.org at all

?

wharp
March 29th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Another option:
Go ahead and register a domain name now and setup a website. louisianaubuntu.org?

lisati
April 26th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Thread closed.