PDA

View Full Version : Hiding your bean count

anewguy
February 8th, 2008, 09:15 PM
If you are like me - able to answer some questions, able to ask more, you may have noticed your bean count going up. I think a lot of people use this to judge the expertise of the person.

If you are like me - you don't care about your own bean count - it's not important, and you don't want people asking "with such a bean count why can't you answer that yourself".

Click on "User CP", then "Edit Options" and select "Hide" under "Post Count Display".

I've just done so, and perhaps it will help some with no judging me one way or the other.

Perhaps you might do the same?

:)

rich.bradshaw
February 8th, 2008, 09:17 PM
As I can't see you bean count, I don't trust your opinion on this matter.

stchman
February 8th, 2008, 09:19 PM
The bean pics and bean description give away someone's bean experience. Also clicking on their profile tells you their bean count as well.

Vadi
February 8th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Yes, that's you look at how many "thanks" the person got :)

Some people post a lot in the community cafe / backyard, so bean count isn't all important/useful.

kellemes
February 8th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Don't care about beancount, never did like "Skinny Soy Caramel Ubuntu" anyway ;-)

Rocket2DMn
February 8th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Posting on those other, non-support forums does not increase your bean count - your posts are ignored in those cases.
And you're right OP, lots of beans != superior. It's more like an outward symbol of your involvement in the community instead.

kellemes
February 8th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Some people post a lot in the community cafe / backyard, so bean count isn't all important/useful.

As far as I know those posts aren't counted.. only when posting in supportforums counts.
Never tested this though..

p_quarles
February 8th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Moved to Community Cafe.

I have my post count hidden as well, but it really doesn't matter either way. There are a lot of very knowledgeable users who post here relatively infrequently.

emarkd
February 8th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I would argue that the "Thanked" count is not a great indicator either. Lots of times those we help are new users who don't know to use the "Thanks" function. I think the best thing anyone on the forums can do for themselves is try and verify what they're told, or at least hit Google and find out what a command does before blindly entering it.

amingv
February 8th, 2008, 09:29 PM
anewguy, with ~683 beans, there's no effective way of hiding post count (that's all beans mean, not expertise) don't bother with these matters.

If anyone wants to feel inferior due to your bean count, I say "let them be"...

misfitpierce
February 8th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I agree. Bean count is useless in my opinion... in fact some people post useless stuff just to raise the count so they get higher and higher. A forum is not for seeing who can get the most beans but rather helping one another like a family for linux. :)

bodhi.zazen
February 8th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Don't forget, beans give you gas ...

Rocket2DMn
February 8th, 2008, 11:34 PM

At 8,341, you would most certainly know
:lolflag:

popch
February 8th, 2008, 11:40 PM

That's all right if you're a balloon.

forrestcupp
February 8th, 2008, 11:58 PM
The bean pics and bean description give away someone's bean experience. Also clicking on their profile tells you their bean count as well.

That doesn't really make sense, though. I've seen people with less than 700 beans that have two cups and people with over 1500 that have one cup.

bodhi.zazen
February 8th, 2008, 11:59 PM
That doesn't really make sense, though. I've seen people with less than 700 beans that have two cups and people with over 1500 that have one cup.

Yea, the title cycles seemingly randomly ...

~LoKe
February 9th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Hiding your bean-count only brings more focus to it and others. Hide 'em all or not at all. =/

fuscia
February 9th, 2008, 12:06 AM
my bean count is up over 2,000, but i think i've only helped six people (and i was wrong twice). bean count is silly.

hhhhhx
February 9th, 2008, 12:58 AM
my count is hidden because i don't want to see it. las i check it was at 60 somthin'

LaRoza
February 9th, 2008, 01:09 AM
I may have a bunch of beans, but I still retain the 0 bean title :-)

I used to have mine hidden, but I wanted to be able to see how much time I spend on the forum.

kevdog
February 9th, 2008, 04:05 AM
My beans are bigger than yours!

kool_kat_os
February 9th, 2008, 04:57 AM
As I can't see you bean count, I don't trust your opinion on this matter.

thats sort of kinda true

anewguy
February 14th, 2008, 09:52 AM
kevdog - you're one of the mnay who have helped me out, and I just LOVED your response!!

I guess if it wasn't real clear from my original post, I should say the reason I wanted to hide my bean count. I have answered some questions on the beginner forum, almost all only about wireless adapters and ndiswrapper. I have asked, and continue to ask, TONS of questions, as I think I am rather stupid ( :) ) [ok, just haven't learned much yet, been doing more using than learning]. So, sometimes I would create a post with a perfectly legitimate question (at least to me) and invariably someone would reply back wanting to know why with my bean count I was asking questions like that. I didn't have the heart to tell them it's because I'm ASKING a lot of questions as well. So, I just thought hiding my bean count might be a way for people to realize how stupid I am!:)