PDA

View Full Version : The Ubuntu Forums New Look.

zenwhen
September 25th, 2005, 08:03 PM
I happen to quite like our place's new duds. What do you all think?

karuptdata
September 25th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Actually I like it! Its pretty cool! Except for everyine is ubuntu mocha blend....But other than that it's neat!

Kyral
September 25th, 2005, 08:07 PM
I like it. I think they should somehow integrate LaunchPad into this for us who have accounts (Then we could get "Ubuntite" status things and sign our posts with our PGP keys)

macgyver2
September 25th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Meh...still brown and orange. :( I don't know if it's possible, but I'd like to see a way for users to change the color scheme on an individual basis. The favicon needs to be replaced with the old one, too.

Edit: On the up side, thread ratings are no longer shown by red cabbages. :)

zenwhen
September 25th, 2005, 08:11 PM
It isnt quite done yet. Keep that in mind for the rest of the day. Post any bugs you see in this thread.

benplaut
September 25th, 2005, 08:17 PM
testing smilies:

:confused: :o

<<edit>>
ooh... the new edit dialog is cool!

err, it's moving to the side alot :/

smilies still broken :(

YourSurrogateGod
September 25th, 2005, 08:17 PM
I like the new look. It's spiffy. It'll take me some time to get used to the fact that the buttons are in different places...

Here's what I don't like...
1) Reputations. This is a BAD idea. Having come from a forum that has reputations, I don't like the idea. You get a slew of different problems with them, such as...
a) People pumping each others' reputations up. Egos can get WAY out of control. This could result in some stupid whining on who gets how many ratings.
b) When it comes to egos, people will all of a sudden want to get their reputation up as high as possible, which can lead to some posting crappy responses just in hope that someone will give them a reputation boost (although this doesn't really apply to me because I don't give qualitatively decent responses to begin with :p .)
c) People will start posting the same answers over and over again just so that they can get some of the reputation points too.
Personally, I'd prefer if there was a function that allowed you to opt out of the whole reputation thingy process. You can't rate others and others can't rate your posts.
2) The little button that increases the size or decreases the size of the writing area is gone, why? Not that it was working before :roll: . This was a good idea.
3) Is it just me or is the new one slower?

A small problem.
1) Alot of the smilies don't load

nenotnom
September 25th, 2005, 08:18 PM
The colours are off, but I guess that'll be one of the things that needs to be tuned.

(colours, as in: the threads are now purple, a few are yellow, which doesn't really fit with brown.)

arnieboy
September 25th, 2005, 08:23 PM
thick chocolate brown title bars?? yikes!

benplaut
September 25th, 2005, 08:27 PM
and in case nobody noticed, it's slow as hell!

replying takes about 3 min, on a 2mb line!

benplaut
and in case nobody noticed, it's slow as hell!

replying takes about 3 min, on a 2mb line!

YourSurrogateGod
The colours are off, but I guess that'll be one of the things that needs to be tuned.

(colours, as in: the threads are now purple, a few are yellow, which doesn't really fit with brown.)
True, I've noticed that as well. This seems to be something minor that will be fine-tuned over time, imo, no biggie.

YourSurrogateGod
September 25th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Just a suggestion...
The "Quote" and "Quick reply" buttons would look better if they were the same size, imo.

ubuntu-geek
September 25th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Let me try to kill abunch of stones with 1 rock here :)

We will have another theme available in a few days that will be blue in nature with KDE style icons users will be able to select.

The reputation system has always been there this was implemented and changed a few months ago. You can opt out in your control panel.

We are still tweaking things please be bare with us, the colors used on this theme are the same as the old theme just applied in a different context and are ubuntu colors off the palette.

Smilies are broken, yes I know ..

The server is running some intensive DB processes which are causing a slow down, they will be done shortly and the board will be back to normal speeds.

YourSurrogateGod
September 25th, 2005, 08:46 PM
The reputation system has always been there this was implemented and changed a few months ago. You can opt out in your control panel.
Where exactly is this feature? I couldn't find it.

The server is running some intensive DB processes which are causing a slow down, they will be done shortly and the board will be back to normal speeds.
Seems to be fine now :) .

macgyver2
September 25th, 2005, 08:47 PM
We will have another theme available in a few days that will be blue in nature with KDE style icons users will be able to select.
Excellent!

Hmm...I don't see where. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

matthew
September 25th, 2005, 08:48 PM
I like the new look. The overall feel is very clean, easy to read, and uncluttered. The new search functions are excellent!

Great job, guys.

xequence
September 25th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Looks like vista, but browner.

Dont get mad at me though. Thats a good thing :P

blastus
September 25th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Very nice! Did they do something with the fonts because they look clearer now?

Kvark
September 25th, 2005, 08:59 PM
We are still tweaking things please be bare with us, the colors used on this theme are the same as the old theme just applied in a different context and are ubuntu colors off the palette.
The colors now sure does not feel like the Ubuntu palette.

To use squares as rating icons looks good. But using squares for the sticky and attachment icons is confusing. People will think those icons represent a rating since they are in the same place and of the same chape as ratings. Even after figuring out what they represent it's very hard to keep track of which color means what here. I usually love color coding but this is the wrong place for it.

This new style will look very good after the Ubuntu palette is applied in a way that actually feels like the Ubuntu palette and after people are done pointing out details that needs to be fine tuned. :-)

Perfect Storm
September 25th, 2005, 09:01 PM
The Gallery link is either broken or not activated.

John.Michael.Kane
September 25th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Two Thumbs up!!!!....

manicka
September 25th, 2005, 10:34 PM
I can't use quick reply or any of the editing tools, smilies, code inserts etc in a normal reply or new thread.

Like the look though :D

majikstreet
September 25th, 2005, 10:36 PM
I like it. I think they should somehow integrate LaunchPad into this for us who have accounts (Then we could get "Ubuntite" status things and sign our posts with our PGP keys)

I so totally agree!

The forums are so nice now..

Thanks ubuntu-geek!!! we love you :)

byen
September 26th, 2005, 05:01 PM
wow... beautiful! really really classy! great job guys! Two thumbs way UP!

EDIT: whoa...the edit feature is good too :-) NICE! but as any human would...one thingy..i still hope the "Post quick reply" worked. Not an issue..just a lil itch. ;-)

GoA
September 26th, 2005, 05:08 PM
It works again. :p :) :D

arnieboy
September 26th, 2005, 05:09 PM
yes very nice job indeed except for the brown....

byen
September 26th, 2005, 05:15 PM
lol arnie.... wait a coupla days...seems like we are getting another theme!! One site to scratch everyones itch i guess ! just like this distro ;-)

Orunitia
September 26th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Looks better, can't wait for the blue theme. I've always found brown nasty.

primeirocrime
September 26th, 2005, 06:10 PM
I think they are too clutered, and takes longer to load. I honestly prefered the old forum, graphically that is. The search feature is to much really, the search field in the bottom just doesn't work for me. Although I understand the need for revamp and it certainly has a more gliter feel to a new user I was just satisfied with the previous version funcationality.

YourSurrogateGod
September 26th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Anyone know the specific hardware failure that caused the forums to be down for such a long time?

On more thing, after you hit Preview Post, there is no submit button under the previewed message, it needs to be added, scrolling down further isn't fun.

heimo
September 26th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Anyone know the specific hardware failure that caused the forums to be down for such a long time?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=69161

Sirin
September 26th, 2005, 06:23 PM
This is cool. Reminds me of IPB 2.0 in it's good ol' PF days. Ah, those were good times... (IPB 2.1.1 is out now)

bearbigears
September 26th, 2005, 06:36 PM
not bad!

ubuntu-geek
September 26th, 2005, 06:59 PM
On more thing, after you hit Preview Post, there is no submit button under the previewed message, it needs to be added, scrolling down further isn't fun.

hmm i will look into this.. can you give me the steps to produce, also what browser are you using?

weasel fierce
September 26th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Just letting you know that I really dig the new look :)

It has a certain Ubuntuan (or should that be ubuntian ?) feel to it

TrailerTrash
September 26th, 2005, 08:35 PM
I like the new forum and the color! :rolleyes: Really, I do! :razz:

LongTooth
September 26th, 2005, 08:57 PM
I like the new look. Logging on threw me off for a minute. I saw my 'name' and the space next to it, but with the 'Go' button also there, I thought it might be some sort to search feature. Maybe a Name and Password lable next to those spaces? Other that that, I like the new site.

As far as the colors are concerned, maybe a 'tan' instead of a dark brown. But this color scheme is a hell of alot better then before. A nice clean layout.

Thanks guys. Good job.

YourSurrogateGod
September 26th, 2005, 10:34 PM
hmm i will look into this.. can you give me the steps to produce,
Just reply to any possible thread.

also what browser are you using?
Opera 8.50.

jerome bettis
September 26th, 2005, 10:57 PM
very nice but this color up here ^ should be a little darker.

DJ_Max
September 26th, 2005, 11:55 PM
I like the new forum and the color! :rolleyes: Really, I do! :razz:
Ditto. It's just that the qucik reply or smiles don't work under firefox.

YourSurrogateGod
September 27th, 2005, 12:02 AM
test test

YourSurrogateGod
September 27th, 2005, 12:02 AM
Works fine in opera.

ubuntu-geek
September 27th, 2005, 12:07 AM
In firefox to "control-f5" and then try.. There is a bug in firefox from my understanding..

manicka
September 27th, 2005, 12:13 AM
No problems here, everything working as it should with Firefox

Wide
September 27th, 2005, 12:31 AM
I like the soft smooth colors.

Ever since I went to a custom blue theme brown don't look that bad anymore

LucasLinard
September 27th, 2005, 12:44 AM
great

DJ_Max
September 27th, 2005, 12:47 AM
In firefox to "control-f5" and then try.. There is a bug in firefox from my understanding..
I guess so, since it works fine in Safari.

From what I've seen, does vBulletin 3.5 use AJAX?

ubuntu-geek
September 27th, 2005, 01:03 AM
I guess so, since it works fine in Safari.

From what I've seen, does vBulletin 3.5 use AJAX?
Yes AJAX is used alot actually..

DJ_Max
September 27th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Yes AJAX is used alot actually..
Yeah, that's what I thought. My blog uses AJAX, that specific code works fine in Firefox. It seems more like a vB/Firefox clash.

NeoSNightmarE
September 27th, 2005, 02:51 AM
I like the soft smooth colors.

Ever since I went to a custom blue theme brown don't look that bad anymore
I've gotta agree. I'm using a blue window theme and between that and the white of the taskbar...it's ownage. :)

YourSurrogateGod
September 27th, 2005, 03:09 AM
I like the new edit feature...

manicka
September 27th, 2005, 03:30 AM
Well, I'll be a fly in the ointment and say that I don't like the new colour scheme. I find the bluey/grey in the message/post box clashes with the browns and yellows and makes the whole page look pukey.
The general layout and all the other extra features are great though :D

ubuntu-geek
September 27th, 2005, 03:35 AM
Well, I'll be a fly in the ointment and say that I don't like the new colour scheme. I find the bluey/grey in the message/post box clashes with the browns and yellows and makes the whole page look pukey.
The general layout and all the other extra features are great though :D
We are still tweaking the colors. If you could provide me with a screenshot of what you are talking about I will glady fix it :) there are so many variables we have about 95% done..

thechitowncubs
September 27th, 2005, 04:57 AM
i think the title bars need to be slimmed down and the whole forum in general needs to be slimmed down

looks good, like the concept, too big

Goober
September 27th, 2005, 05:17 AM
Hrm, looks ok, looks like Chocolate, actually, which might make me hungry every time I log on. Haven't really noticed a difference in speeds to log in and such.

manicka
September 27th, 2005, 06:28 AM
We are still tweaking the colors. If you could provide me with a screenshot of what you are talking about I will glady fix it there are so many variables we have about 95% done..

It looks like it has been changed slightly. A much nicer shade of grey... looks great :D

Edit: Just noticed the quick edit feature... very nice

primeirocrime
September 27th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Somehow I may have jumped the gun on the New Look. I find easier to spot and read than the last. I still find the search feature to cloggged... It may be usefull for a moderator or administrator to use the infinitude of options, but for a plain user like it's really a drag to click search and then go 413px down to the typing box [don't know the name]

ounas
September 27th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Somehow I may have jumped the gun on the New Look. I find easier to spot and read than the last. I still find the search feature to cloggged... It may be usefull for a moderator or administrator to use the infinitude of options, but for a plain user like it's really a drag to click search and then go 413px down to the typing box [don't know the name]

Yes could not agree more, but then again I suppose I shall get use to it.

-Ounas from the Frozen North:confused:

Kvark
September 27th, 2005, 09:30 AM
It looks like it has been changed slightly. A much nicer shade of grey... looks great :D
Yeah, the new shade of grey fits much better with the brown.

delsdog
September 27th, 2005, 10:23 AM
I like the new look, confused me at first, but that was just me being a bit slow on the uptake. :)

I'm liking the colours too, but I will be interested in seeing how the blue theme looks.

Arktis
September 27th, 2005, 10:40 AM
It looks like a brown variation of the adv4pro theme for windows xp (which is blue, btw, but comes in other colors as well). I like it, but what I really DON'T like is not having the dropdowns anymore (quicklinks, search).

DJ_Max
September 27th, 2005, 01:18 PM
It looks like a brown variation of the adv4pro theme for windows xp (which is blue, btw, but comes in other colors as well). I like it, but what I really DON'T like is not having the dropdowns anymore (quicklinks, search).
What? All the search and unanswered post and such are in the "Search" dropdown.

Arktis
September 27th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Aha, the dropdowns are now back. Excellent. Honest, I swear, they were absent earlier. :smile:

XDevHald
September 27th, 2005, 01:44 PM
I enjoy the new look, very soft and easy to navigate, one issue I am running across is that the Quick Reply does not work when you need to type a message after clicking the button on thebottom far right of the message.

Other than that, everything is deffinently a lot faster and will really improve after the upgrading is complete.

ubuntu-geek
September 27th, 2005, 02:56 PM
I enjoy the new look, very soft and easy to navigate, one issue I am running across is that the Quick Reply does not work when you need to type a message after clicking the button on thebottom far right of the message.

Other than that, everything is deffinently a lot faster and will really improve after the upgrading is complete.
If you are using firefox do a "control-f5" to clear the cache. It has some issues with AJAX from what I have heard.

YourSurrogateGod
September 27th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Umm... where are the private messages?

ubuntu-geek
September 27th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Umm... where are the private messages?
The navigation were to find PM's was not very clear. Thanks for pointing that out I added a link on the top navigation bar.

XDevHald
September 27th, 2005, 03:21 PM
If you are using firefox do a "control-f5" to clear the cache. It has some issues with AJAX from what I have heard.

Thanks geek, helped!

P.S Thanks for the status again!

BWF89
September 27th, 2005, 10:11 PM
I like the forums new look.

mstlyevil
September 27th, 2005, 11:11 PM
I am having trouble getting the smileys to expand and using the quote insertion button and such. I will play with my browser settings and see if I can't find out why.

XDevHald
September 27th, 2005, 11:18 PM
I am having trouble getting the smileys to expand and using the quote insertion button and such. I will play with my browser settings and see if I can't find out why.
Try to do CTRL + F5 like what geek told me to do, it does work :) it clears your cache.

darkmatter
September 27th, 2005, 11:38 PM
The new look is much more professional feeling.

I also like the way that stickies are now instantly identifiable. Makes navigation easier.

TravisNewman
September 28th, 2005, 12:32 AM
This is freakin' sweet!

XDevHald
September 28th, 2005, 12:39 AM
The posting number color should be switched such as #1 and #2 etc, the colors should be switched this way users can see what number it is when needing to copy that link number and they're able to see it.

With the background color to the white it is a bit difficult to see.

manicka
September 28th, 2005, 02:04 AM
The latest tweaks are very nice... very nice indeed :D

mstlyevil
September 28th, 2005, 05:27 AM
Try to do CTRL + F5 like what geek told me to do, it does work :) it clears your cache.

Thanks, that did the trick and I didn't have to troubleshoot.

PhilOSparta
September 28th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Looks great, but what happened to the user blogs?
I made a habit of adding info into my blog about what happened, good and bad, while I upgraded to breezy. I did a search for blogs and couldn't find anything.
Are they still around, of have we lost them?

Thanks for the great work!
Phil

lotusleaf
September 28th, 2005, 04:41 PM
The new ubuntu forums theme/skin/whatever looks very nice!

(licks monitor screen)

yeah

ubuntu-geek
September 28th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Looks great, but what happened to the user blogs?
I made a habit of adding info into my blog about what happened, good and bad, while I upgraded to breezy. I did a search for blogs and couldn't find anything.
Are they still around, of have we lost them?

Thanks for the great work!
Phil
We got something cooking for user blogs.. :P

ubuntu-geek
September 28th, 2005, 05:27 PM
The posting number color should be switched such as #1 and #2 etc, the colors should be switched this way users can see what number it is when needing to copy that link number and they're able to see it.

With the background color to the white it is a bit difficult to see.

Fixed..

Omnios
September 28th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Takes a bit to get used to as all things but things look good so far.

Goober
September 28th, 2005, 07:03 PM
One thing I am finding annoying is the grey box around the coffee mugs that show how many posts we have. It is next to impossible to read the orange writing on top of that fir CIPs and Contributors and such. Might wanna fix that, Admins.

Or perhaps, because I am using IE (damn school computers don't have Firefox:( ), the settings are messed . . .

ubuntu-geek
September 28th, 2005, 07:05 PM
One thing I am finding annoying is the grey box around the coffee mugs that show how many posts we have. It is next to impossible to read the orange writing on top of that fir CIPs and Contributors and such. Might wanna fix that, Admins.

Or perhaps, because I am using IE (damn school computers don't have Firefox:( ), the settings are messed . . .
Yes, IE doesnt like PNG images.. something we are aware of. :(