PDA

View Full Version : My Seventh Grade Ubuntu Classroom

Prospero2006
February 8th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I work for a program in San Antonio called iMAK. (interactive Media Applications at Krueger.) We are technology magnet within the Northeast Independent School District. I was hired on as a technology teacher last year, and after the first semester I started imaging the Dell 620's in my room to run Ubuntu/--Now Gutsy. It has been challenging creating an independent Linux lab within such a large school district, but it's VERY successful.

The kids, parents, and the other technology teachers I drag in from around the district really like what I've done. Here is a link with pictures:

http://www.neisd.net/imak/Beck/podcasts/Beck/rss.xml (http://www.neisd.net/imak[/URL]
[URL="http://www.neisd.net/imak/Beck/podcasts/Beck/rss.xml)

jan quark
February 8th, 2008, 06:36 PM
it is fantastic to see how open sources changes the world...:)

good job..

abstractcoder
February 8th, 2008, 06:43 PM
That's great. KIds should be exposed to Linux! What do your students think about Linux?

Open source is great thing, and Linux is the best of the best.

Prospero2006
February 8th, 2008, 06:55 PM
That's great. KIds should be exposed to Linux! What do your students think about Linux?

Open source is great thing, and Linux is the best of the best.

There's an interesting answer to that question. When the kids first walk into my lab and have to learn a new interface, filesystem, and set of applications, they initially aren't exactly sure what to make it of it.
The compiz desktop is an instant sell that really ropes them in. I'll have to say that.

However, once they start using it on a daily basis and become familiar with the basics, it takes about 2 months I'd say, +90 percent of them will choose Linux if given a choice. (The system is designed to dual-boot.)

They like it. I'm actually teaching a class next year where I'll teach them to install it at home using a class set of old laptops.

Linuxratty
February 8th, 2008, 07:53 PM
That's great!
What's the average size of your Linux class?

spamzilla
February 8th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I'm an IT techie at a school in England, and I'd love to install Ubuntu on all our machines, but sadly this isn't feasible as we use loads of windows only apps (learning/teaching/admin apps) that we are rather dependant on.

Hopefully MS *do something* which forces us to switch to another OS sand that's when I'll whip out a LiveCD and go crazy with it :D

'Gratz on having the balls to do this and open the kids eyes to other OS's :lolflag:

Prospero2006
February 8th, 2008, 08:06 PM
That's great!
What's the average size of your Linux class?

I have 24-27 kids in each class.
I teach 5 classes a day right now, but next year I'm teaching 6.

:')

Prospero2006
February 8th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I'm an IT techie at a school in England, and I'd love to install Ubuntu on all our machines, but sadly this isn't feasible as we use loads of windows only apps (learning/teaching/admin apps) that we are rather dependant on.

Hopefully MS *do something* which forces us to switch to another OS sand that's when I'll whip out a LiveCD and go crazy with it :D

'Gratz on having the balls to do this and open the kids eyes to other OS's :lolflag:

Actually, that was the challenge I also faced here at Northeast. Here's the solution:

If you have a computer lab that has identical computers, you set one machine up perfectly so it dual boots windows/ubuntu.
Set up your applications, security, user accounts, everything.

Then you use dd and netcat to image the machine next to it.
Then you use dd and netcat to image the two machines next to them.

I can image 30 computers completely in less than 8 hours that way.

spamzilla
February 8th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Actually, that was the challenge I also faced here at Northeast. Here's the solution:

If you have a computer lab that has identical computers, you set one machine up perfectly so it dual boots windows/ubuntu.
Set up your applications, security, user accounts, everything.

Then you use dd and netcat to image the machine next to it.
Then you use dd and netcat to image the two machines next to them.

I can image 30 computers completely in less than 8 hours that way.

Yeah installing any OS isn't a problem (we use Ghost to image all machines) but finding similar apps that we could use should we install Ubuntu is the problem.

For example, we would need Macromedia studio 8 (dreamweaver, etc), different CAD / graphics programs, admin software (this literally is no linux based versions of what we use), french/german language software etc etc etc and no decent linux software exists :(

Prospero2006
February 8th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Yeah installing any OS isn't a problem (we use Ghost to image all machines) but finding similar apps that we could use should we install Ubuntu is the problem.

For example, we would need Macromedia studio 8 (dreamweaver, etc), different CAD / graphics programs, admin software (this literally is no linux based versions of what we use), french/german language software etc etc etc and no decent linux software exists :(

Forgive me if I misunderstand, but what I'm saying is you can give your users a choice.

When they turn on the computer, if you need windows for that class period, you instruct the class to choose windows.

spamzilla
February 8th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Forgive me if I misunderstand, but what I'm saying is you can give your users a choice.

When they turn on the computer, if you need windows for that class period, you instruct the class to choose windows.

Hmm that's actually a really good idea. It would be interesting to see how many students would use Ubuntu instead of windows if they just wanted to type something up or go on the internet.

Now I just have to persuade my boss (the network manager) that this is a good idea :lolflag:

dca
February 8th, 2008, 09:42 PM
To the OP:

*applause*

macogw
February 8th, 2008, 09:58 PM

Well, if any of those apps include a program to let the teacher take over the students' computers to show them stuff, demo mode (where every computer in the room shows the teacher's screen), monitoring (where the teacher can see what the student's doing), etc., here's a FOSS equivalent for Windows/Linux:
http://italc.sourceforge.net/home.php

spamzilla
February 8th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Well, if any of those apps include a program to let the teacher take over the students' computers to show them stuff, demo mode (where every computer in the room shows the teacher's screen), monitoring (where the teacher can see what the student's doing), etc., here's a FOSS equivalent for Windows/Linux:

Oh wow!! I'm going to mention this to the other techie / network manager on monday :)

Yes we use one of these programs and it costs us an arm and a leg...we haven't got this installed on all the machines we want it on due to extortionate license fees, so maybe this is the answer.

Thanks!

Mary.Riley
February 9th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I think you did a great thing.

It's surprising how quickly we get used to specific paradigms and ways of thinking about programs. We fall into routines in our mind from things as simple as using the same interface or operating system. By allowing kids to break that habit for a little bit will teach them to be more intelligent in the adaptation sense and also more flexible.

Prospero2006
February 9th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Hmm that's actually a really good idea. It would be interesting to see how many students would use Ubuntu instead of windows if they just wanted to type something up or go on the internet.

Now I just have to persuade my boss (the network manager) that this is a good idea :lolflag:

Here's what I did to start:
I formatted out and did a complete install on one machine without asking anyone. (You can always use dd and netcat to image the district image back on to it in a jiffy should it not work out.)
Then I used that prototype to convince my supervisors to let me try it on 4-5 more computers. Once I had 4-5, it was like cancer. Our program now has 90 computers that dual boot.
I started this process a little over a year ago.

Prospero2006
February 19th, 2008, 07:58 PM

Dude, the italc is SWEET!
I got together with a co-worker and we installed it on two labs.
One lab primarily uses Ubuntu, mine, and the other primarily uses Windows. It's essential man. Really nice.

You have to compile the newest version from source to make it work on Ubuntu correctly, and the master computer really takes a CPU hit when it's monitoring +20 machines, but you should see the other computer lab teachers on campus when I show it off.
It's hard to say what the best feature is, but I think I'm going to have my program make a donation to the developers.

spamzilla
February 19th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Dude, the italc is SWEET!
I got together with a co-worker and we installed it on two labs.
One lab primarily uses Ubuntu, mine, and the other primarily uses Windows. It's essential man. Really nice.

You have to compile the newest version from source to make it work on Ubuntu correctly, and the master computer really takes a CPU hit when it's monitoring +20 machines, but you should see the other computer lab teachers on campus when I show it off.
It's hard to say what the best feature is, but I think I'm going to have my program make a donation to the developers.

We haven't had time to fully get this working yet as its a little awkward under windows, but hopefully we get a spare hour or two and have time to test it, and install it around the school.

But yeah, this app looks promising, and its FREE!! Oddly enough, when I mentioned that Italc is free (as opposed to our £1k-£2k current administration tool), my boss and the other techies ears pricked up, and they both seemed rather interested :lolflag:

karlo
February 20th, 2008, 09:49 PM

Doesn't the windows programs runs corrently when you use WiNE?

Prospero2006
February 21st, 2008, 09:43 PM
We haven't had time to fully get this working yet as its a little awkward under windows, but hopefully we get a spare hour or two and have time to test it, and install it around the school.

But yeah, this app looks promising, and its FREE!! Oddly enough, when I mentioned that Italc is free (as opposed to our £1k-£2k current administration tool), my boss and the other techies ears pricked up, and they both seemed rather interested :lolflag:

Just in case anyone is interested I wrote a how to detailing what I did to configure the italc software in my lab:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=702437

spamzilla
February 21st, 2008, 09:59 PM
Doesn't the windows programs runs corrently when you use WiNE?

Without trying we won't know, but I some how doubt all the software will work.

Great tutorial Prospero2006!

liquidfunk
February 21st, 2008, 11:49 PM
Does the iTalc program have to be installed on every computer you want to monitor? Or just your own?

It could be quite amusing to play pranks on people :P