PDA

View Full Version : New user, need a little help....

thredden21
December 2nd, 2004, 09:58 PM
Right now im downloading the iso file to install ubuntu on my laptop.

i've only install linux(fedora core) on one of my desktops before, and didnt bother with keeping windows. but this time i would like to dual boot windows and linux.

i dont mind losing the initial installation of windows thats on here now. can anyone give me a little hint as to where to go for some low level information?

Hendry
December 2nd, 2004, 10:49 PM
I'm also a new user with not so much Linux expierence.. but I just followed the instructions during installation and Ubuntu does it all by it self. There will be no problem when formatting the whole drive when installing...

And when it goes wrong... just look into these forums.. ;)

thredden21
December 2nd, 2004, 10:52 PM
ahhhhhhhh, that felt good to get a little positive reinforcement....

cause for the past 2 hours i've read nothing but horror stories on trying to get things working on a laptop....

yah, i think i'll just reformat, and start from the begining and pray for the best $)

arctic
December 2nd, 2004, 10:57 PM
you can install it for a dual-boot on a lappy. in case you do not use winxp, there is absolutely no problem running windows and ubuntu on a notebook (haven't tested win xp myself, so no comment on that one from me). at the installation procedure, you can simply use the manual partiton tool. it is not complicated. create one partition in e.g. ext3 for / and one ext3 for /home and a /swap. that is all you need.

mark
December 3rd, 2004, 03:42 AM
Just make sure to install whatever version of Windows first. Unlike Linux, it gets kinda lost if it's not at the beginning of your hard drive...