PDA

View Full Version : If you couldent use ubuntu...

xequence
September 25th, 2005, 04:39 PM
If ubuntu didnt exist, what OS would you use?

Id probably try fedora core (and hope its better then debian -.-) and dual boot it with windows 2000.

Leif
September 25th, 2005, 04:41 PM
fedora or gentoo. that said, I'm pretty sure there was a thread just like this somewhere before...

papangul
September 25th, 2005, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't use fedora even if there was no other OS in the world. I hate rpm's. I would probably use Archlinux.

Juippisi
September 25th, 2005, 04:45 PM
I would be using Gentoo. But I don't want to think that kind of situatuon, that Ubuntu wouldn't exist :-P.

bootlinux
September 25th, 2005, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=xequence]If ubuntu didnt exist, what OS would you use?

Simply Mepis or Knoppix. I never have much luck installing rpm packages, hence I avoid the distros that use them.

aysiu
September 25th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Mepis.

macgyver2
September 25th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Gentoo.

Qrk
September 25th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Debian or SuSE.

I tried Debian before Ubuntu, and it was perfectly fine. I used it as a desktop for several months. The only problem is the community support is a little scary at times, and I wanted Gnome 2.8, so I switched to warty and never looked back.

OpenSuSE also is looking really good.

23meg
September 25th, 2005, 05:05 PM
debian, without question.

Ampersand
September 25th, 2005, 05:14 PM
I currently use Fedora on my laptop (which is currently acting as a backup, so doesn't require much more than a browser and open office). It does seem to keep most applications up to date, but I'd probably put Debian testing on my desktop due to the range of packages available. I might try out Gentoo as well.

Kvark
September 25th, 2005, 05:21 PM

Id probably try fedora core (and hope its better then debian -.-) and dual boot it with windows 2000.
If Ubuntu had never happend then I'd probably have tried Fedora Core instead. So I'd be using either FC, Windows XP or both. Depending entirely on how well trying FC with no previous linux experience would have gone.

If Ubuntu dissapeared now after getting me addicted to the easiness of debian style package management then I'd jump to Mepis.

Jackster
September 25th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Probably OpenSuse or Mepis

Or maybe go back to my lovley little iMac, OS X Tiger :grin:

majikstreet
September 25th, 2005, 05:23 PM
I'd probably go back to slackware, not install kde but xfce instead, and most importantly try to install apt-get on the system if that's possible :)

I <3 apt-get!

I used to use Fedora when it was like Core1 or around there; I didn't like it.
I've also used RH9, didn't like it either.

Perfect Storm
September 25th, 2005, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't use fedora even if there was no other OS in the world. I hate rpm's. I would probably use Archlinux.

Same here! Archlinux all the way!!!
(I'm Dual booting Ubuntu/Arch)

papangul
September 25th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Same here! Archlinux all the way!!!
(I'm Dual booting Ubuntu/Arch)
So you are not using Mandriva!

Perfect Storm
September 25th, 2005, 05:33 PM
So you are not using Mandriva!

Nope, I used it an year ago. But I'm still a moderator at the board. Mainly we support Mandriva but we also got boards/support for other distros.

Orunitia
September 25th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Probably suse or debian.

PatrickMay16
September 25th, 2005, 05:45 PM

Right now, I duel boot between Windows 2000 Professional and Ubuntu Linux. If Ubuntu didn't exist like you ask, I would just use Windows 2000.

Windows 2000 Professional, a great operating system.

heimo
September 25th, 2005, 05:49 PM
If Ubuntu didn't exist, I would be using Debian Sid.

Ubunted
September 25th, 2005, 06:07 PM
I imagine I would either be still jumping from distro to distro on an XP dual-boot, or settled on Debian.

John.Michael.Kane
September 25th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Debian... or Gentoo

qalimas
September 25th, 2005, 09:03 PM
I wouldn't know how good Debian woudl be if there wouldn't be an Ubuntu, so I'd still be with Fedora, ro switched to OpenSuSE, but since Ubuntu got me into the Debian based, it would take a lot of Debian hype to have gotten me to pay attention and recognize the Dbian communities.

I'm thankful there is Ubuntu, and I'm thankful there is Debain to father all of the wonderful Debian-based distrobutions :)

Omnios
September 26th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Origanaly I was going to try Fedora but someone on a forum recomended Ubuntu for newbies and am glad they did as I have a problem monitor. I was going to try one of the distros so anything other than vista.

Ride Jib
September 26th, 2005, 05:30 PM
slackware

YourSurrogateGod
September 26th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Most likely suse.

Lovechild
September 26th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Foresight or Fedora, maybe in time OpenSolaris.. I'm undecided.

Sahtor
September 26th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Suse definately. I'd try Gentoo for experience and maybe wait if Yoper got any less buggy.

basketcase
September 26th, 2005, 06:25 PM
I had always used Mandrake in the past from 7.2 to 10.whatever. A friend suggested Fedora, so I've had that running on my webserver for over a year now w/o any problems. I thought about changing it over to ubuntu, but if it ain't broke, no need to fix it.

I do love apt-get. I'd have to have a package manager similar to that, rpm-hell is just that.

bearbigears
September 26th, 2005, 06:41 PM
before ubuntu i used winxp, i could not get the hang of any linux distro's. i hope i would try mepis or knoppix.