PDA

View Full Version : Should Schools have Rock Bands?

JeffoOfMetal
February 8th, 2008, 06:40 AM
As a guitarist and metalhead, this just makes sense to me. My school's got a band, with brass and woodwind and stuff, and that's great, but it's not really something I'd want to try out. Does anyone else feel that schools, or their school, should have a rock or metal band?

Although, what about the negative attitude sometimes attributed with rock? What's your opinion?

[sorry to waste your time]

SomeGuyDude
February 8th, 2008, 06:42 AM
If they should, you'd have to explain why they don't have a rap group.

I love metal, but it's not exactly a scholastic attitude in terms of music genres.

~LoKe
February 8th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Well...no, not really. Generally what schools do is teach music that has historic influences; something everyone knows and can appreciate to some degree. I don't know how it is where you're at, but at my old school they had certain occasions where students could play whatever they want for an audience so long as it was appropriate for a school.

Whiffle
February 8th, 2008, 06:54 AM
They'd have to find someone to teach it for one thing, and I've never heard of anybody majoring in rock music...And if they did find someone, they'd have to pay them. But, you couldn't have a whole lot of rock band students, which would probably not be enough justify paying a teacher to do it.

Besides, we got to play some rock back in high school...Smoke on the Water is loads of fun on a trombone ;) I'd say join the regular band and learn to play one of those instruments, that knowledge is easily applied to other instruments later on down the line. Who knows, you might end up sticking with it. I actually miss playing my trombone and still pull it out from time to time, much to the dismay of my neighbors.

hhhhhx
February 8th, 2008, 07:02 AM

I love metal, but it's not exactly a scholastic attitude in terms of music genres.
+1

Spike-X
February 8th, 2008, 08:56 AM

To play metal well, one has to be fairly accomplished in terms of both music theory and technical proficiency.

hyper_ch
February 8th, 2008, 08:58 AM

and country bands
and folklore
and this
and that
and yet another different kind of music genre...

padams10001
February 8th, 2008, 09:23 AM
To play metal well, one has to be fairly accomplished in terms of both music theory and technical proficiency.

Not necessarily, look at Motorhead, Soulfly, Eyehategod, Blood Duster, Nile...hardly the height of technicality (and all REAL metal bands, except Soulfly in some peoples eyes)..

Zero Prime
February 8th, 2008, 11:08 AM
We didn't have a rock band at my old high school, but the band teacher did allow the use of electric guitars and a drum set.

frup
February 8th, 2008, 11:38 AM
My school severely restricted the level of heaviness allowed in the talent quest!

LaRoza
February 8th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I am a primarily Black Metal fan (Mayhem (with Per Ohlin), Darkthrone, Burzum, etc).

I would oppose a school metal band. What are they supposed to write about? Anything worth making a metal song about would be forbidden in a school. Which brings up the point that a school is the worst place for creativity.

I am sure they could make "cookie cutter" songs, but that isn't real music. I'd rather hear the music of a band in their basement on old equipment, than the results of a school program no matter how technically equipped they were.

frup
February 8th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I would oppose a school metal band. What are they supposed to write about?

They'd be emo's haha!

Namtabmai
February 8th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Why not, I mean I assume we talk about the difference between a taught class and an extra curricular activity?
Will the teaching should be focused on learning music theory and as well as parts of how this influences the evolution of music, having a school band is a different thing.
Forcing the school band to rock is a stupid idea, but if there are enough pupils that want to form one, why not let them? Same if there are pupils that want to start a rap band. The only problem I can think of is if the teachers and suited to supervise this sort of thing. Not ever music teacher is Jack Black so may not be able to give the students the sort of guidance they require.

Teaching should not only be focused on history/theory but also practical applications, in all disciplines. Physics classes teach you theories old and new, and their applications in the modern world, so why shouldn't a music class as well? I mean how many kids now a days really appreciate where modern rock/metal has come from? They may have heard of Led Zeppelin, but do they appreciate the strong blues influence? What about the way blues evolved from African American work songs?

LaRoza
February 8th, 2008, 01:15 PM
They'd be emo's haha!

Perish the thought.

The last thing I want to hear anyone sing about is their relationships.

Nirevus
February 8th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I'm from the UK, they held events quite often because there were a lot of people in bands at my school, were anyone could play. The problem with your idea is that there are often a lot of people who'd want to play, it's also a problem of numbers, a huge amount of people seem to play guitar, but there are less bassists, drummers and singers.

The school near the college I'm at currently does have a rock band that anywa can play in, it has about eight guitarists, two drummers and two female vocalists.

LaRoza
February 8th, 2008, 01:19 PM
The school near the college I'm at currently does have a rock band that anywa can play in, it has about eight guitarists, two drummers and two female vocalists.

Music by commitee eh?

DrMega
February 8th, 2008, 01:20 PM
As a guitarist and metalhead, this just makes sense to me. My school's got a band, with brass and woodwind and stuff, and that's great, but it's not really something I'd want to try out. Does anyone else feel that schools, or their school, should have a rock or metal band?

Although, what about the negative attitude sometimes attributed with rock? What's your opinion?

[sorry to waste your time]

Good music brings people together. I remember my school days (a long time ago) we had music classes and they were painfully dull. As far as I'm concerned Quavers are a type of corn based crisp.

Whether schools should have rock bands isn't really the important thing. I would say give kids the freedom to form their own bands (but impose some rules that they have to be musical). It will become their band rather than the education system's band, they will take pride in it and work hard. They will bond (hopefully), it will boost their self confidence and give them a sense of identity.

NovaAesa
February 8th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Maybe you can't have a school metal band...

But there's nothing from stopping you from having one outside of school!!

That's what my brother and his friends did. They recently won the statewide Battle of the Bands, and have just finished recording their first demo album :)

bobbocanfly
February 8th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I think schools should support their kids making any type of music (within limits, i cant see anyone thinking music support neo nazis particularly acceptable) by letting them use school facilities and just turning a blind eye. I dont think there should be school endorsed Metal bands (unlike the Wind bands etc) as there would be massive conflicts between what the kids and the teachers think as acceptable.

Tomosaur
February 8th, 2008, 04:05 PM
My old school has recently built a nice new music building with rehearsal rooms, a recording studio etc. I used to work as a cleaner there for a while so I kinda know the people who maintain the school. I'm gonna ask them to let me and my band use the new building, maybe do a few gigs at the school too.

Bungo Pony
February 8th, 2008, 05:09 PM
My school had a rock band, although it was more extra-curricular (sp?). The teacher held auditions and I made it through as the singer. We practiced during lunch hour, and we even wrote some of our own songs. It was a really interesting mix of people, one punk, one guy into death metal, a couple into classic rock. We even played out in competitions. It didn't last past the school year, but by that time, I had moved into my own band.

I think schools should have rock band if they have the facilities to do it. It was a lot of fun!

ibanez
February 8th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Well here in U.K. most secondary schools have a band or two, they also enter into a yearly comp "Battle Of The Bands", I'm all for teaching kids any kind of music, so rock band funk band whatever , as long as they enjoy it,at least they're gaining a life skill for the future, Its always been my philosophy If you can play an instrument then you wont starve.
Only thing wrong here though is if the guitar or drum lessons etc are taken out of school hours then the cost is huge, this is wrong the outside music teachers who give these lessons charge far too much,its not the LEA or School that pays these fees ,it's the kids.
All the same every year the local heat of battle of the bands is a fantastic night out, its good to see live music becoming so popular again.

jolx
February 8th, 2008, 05:16 PM
my skools really good when it comes to music i play the trumpet in the stage band and the wind symphony but i also play lots of guitar:guitar: && drums. and the school has 5 different rock bands.

:)

aaaantoine
February 8th, 2008, 05:18 PM
My school had an extracurricular Jazz band. Which is kinda like a rock band. Jazz is fun to play, nonetheless.

Mary.Riley
February 9th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Schools should have rock bands as long as they are indie rock...

JeffoOfMetal
February 9th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Schools should have rock bands as long as they are indie rock...

What? How is Indie at all better for a school band??

:mad:

TeaSwigger
February 9th, 2008, 12:59 AM
If the schools in my area had ANY music classes worth calling one, I'd be so glad I wouldn't care if they had wind bands, rock bands, or rubber bands!

As it is, the schools in this affluent California area, they is too po', you know. They cut them all back to virtually nothing, in the cases they didn't cut them out entirely. Except for playing at football games, that's... that's different.

Spike-X
February 9th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Of course! Everybody knows sport is The Most Important Thing In The World.

Nirevus
February 10th, 2008, 12:35 PM
The battle of the bands in my area covers Glastonbury and so Michael Evis is one of the judges, first prize is to play at the festival. It gets a HUGE amount of entries.