PDA

View Full Version : Does 8.04 have support for desktop effects on ATI GPU?

kool_kat_os
February 7th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Does the 8.04 release have support for desktop effects for the ATI graphic cards....like the ATI Mobility Radeon X700?

Vitamin-Carrot
February 7th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Wouldnt the question be "Will" it have support for desktop effects on ATI

You could Download the alpha and find out that way if you have a spare machine or some extra space.

klange
February 7th, 2008, 02:34 AM
8.04 is currently running on a fairly recent commit of the Git master of Compiz-Fusion. I'm not entirely sure of the status of ATI cards that were previously blacklisted, but I believe the x700 works (Though it may require some setup) - don't quote me on that, I really have no idea. Aside from that, XGL may be needed to get the proper behavior while using frglx.

igknighted
February 7th, 2008, 03:20 AM
All Ubuntu releases should run desktop effects out of the box on that card, the radeon open source driver supports that chipset. Also, the support for your card has nothing to do with Ubuntu, rather it depends on what drivers ATI releases.

macogw
February 7th, 2008, 05:43 PM
All Ubuntu releases should run desktop effects out of the box on that card, the radeon open source driver supports that chipset. Also, the support for your card has nothing to do with Ubuntu, rather it depends on what drivers ATI releases.

I thought the X... cards were fglrx-only? This laptop has a Radeon 9600 which I know has open source driver support. I'm pretty sure the last OpenGL 3D compatible ATI card on open source drivers was the 9250. The X-series is new, isn't it?

forrestcupp
February 7th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I thought the X... cards were fglrx-only? This laptop has a Radeon 9600 which I know has open source driver support. I'm pretty sure the last OpenGL 3D compatible ATI card on open source drivers was the 9250. The X-series is new, isn't it?

The HD series is the new series. I used to have an X800 and that was the cutoff. I was able to use the open source drivers, but not all of the OpenGL extensions worked, so some opengl apps crashed. I think anything before X800 works. I now, unfortunately, have an HD 2600, and the current ATI fglrx drivers are crap if you have any desire to use desktop effects.

Furiattl
March 19th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Does the 8.04 release have support for desktop effects for the ATI graphic cards....like the ATI Mobility Radeon X700?

I'm using 8.04 and Radeon 9250 and all desktop effects working fine on the open source ati driver.