PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

MikeDK
September 25th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Dont need games like the ones in m$'s os so i did the switch completely.
Running feisty at the moment on my dv9000 laptop, and Gutsy on my 3800 X2 1˝gb ram 7800 GT

Kind Regards MikeDK

captainkernelpanic
September 26th, 2007, 02:28 AM
I believe windows should here on be known as useless. linux is more effective at everything. the ubuntu community has a solution to offer for almost every hurdle. long live linux

sstusick
September 26th, 2007, 02:32 AM
I don't think Windows is useless... but I do think that Linux is more useful and does things better and more logical than Windows does.

cmarlow84
September 26th, 2007, 03:11 AM
I believe windows should here on be known as useless. linux is more effective at everything. the ubuntu community has a solution to offer for almost every hurdle. long live linux

I disagree captain.......... There is somethings in Nix that dont work like they do in WINDOWS.. Untill they fix that... idk... Windows still has some use.

~ CM~

iamBevan
September 26th, 2007, 03:45 AM
I've recently switched, and can't see ANY reason to go back - I'm having problems running wc3, however i'm confident that it can be fixed, other than that, there is nothing Windows can offer me that Ubuntu can't

cmarlow84
September 26th, 2007, 04:09 AM
I've recently switched, and can't see ANY reason to go back - I'm having problems running wc3, however i'm confident that it can be fixed, other than that, there is nothing Windows can offer me that Ubuntu can't

I cant my microphone to work, my webcam..... stuff like that :(

that and my outlook 2003 that I use for my email.

~ CM ~

Vadi
September 26th, 2007, 01:26 PM
help.ubuntu.com/community

Search in the help files there, you'll definitely get an answer. Or if you need help, make a thread & PM me :)

powerserve
September 26th, 2007, 01:41 PM
i am currently doing the TOTAL IRREVOCABLE SWITCH!!! There's no turning back coz i know it's LINUX UBUNTU OR I'D BETTER GET BACK TO THE STONE AGE!!! :lolflag:

sp0onman
September 26th, 2007, 01:47 PM
im full time ubuntu user now, but i still have xp installed incase i want to play some games. wish i could completely remove xp, but games are never going to be made in a large scale for linux as long as microsoft dominates and people remain ignorant.

cmarlow84
September 26th, 2007, 03:18 PM
help.ubuntu.com/community

Search in the help files there, you'll definitely get an answer. Or if you need help, make a thread & PM me :)

Hi Vad,

I tried all that and I couldnt find NOTHING, Well I found infomation, but I couldnt understand how to fix it.... lol..... The lingo they used was way over my head

~cm ~

Xoanan
September 26th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Completely use Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy on a Dell Dimension L1000R.

I sometimes play with XP on the other pc, but not on the Dell. It only has Xubuntu

Yoooder
September 26th, 2007, 05:48 PM
For home use I am 100% linux, however I may reincarnate Windows for gaming purposes if my free time opens up.

Sadly, my attempts at work to make inroads for Linux have failed. Too many corporate policies require win-only software (whole-disk encryption for my work laptop is the big one right now).

cmarlow84
September 26th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Search in the help files there, you'll definitely get an answer. Or if you need help, make a thread & PM me :)[/QUOTE]

Hey All,

I decided I wanted to give my Mic a try in my Virtural Machine..... what do you know... it shows up but I cant use it bc im in windows.. So I know it works in the vm, that I am using UBUNTU in right now

But heres the thing......... when I had ubuntu actually loaded on my machine on a parititon of its own......

and I clicked on the volume control... I didnt see what I am seeing right now I didnt see the option for Master, pcm, line in, cd, microphone, pc speaker.....

When I had ubuntu loaded On its own partition...... All I had options for was volume.. that was all its showing.. that was my own option and it only said VOLUME CONTROL at the top

now in my Virtural MACHINE i see Volume Control : Intel 82801aa-ich ( alsa mixer )

When I actually had Ubuntu loaded..... it only said volume control.... Nothing more...

~ Cm ~

rhenrick
September 26th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I just deleted Windows last night! It feels good! LOL Kind of the same good feeling i got when i deleted WOW! (c:

I had a couple games, tried them with WINE, didn't work... but that doesn't matter to me. I am looking into getting a Nintendo DS Lite soon so that will be my gaming tool.

I love the feeling of not worrying about viruses and that junk. Linux starts up instantly mostly because it doesn't have to load all of the protection apps!

Linux is fun to learn!

zibi
September 26th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I switched on January to ubuntu. Win what?

sstusick
September 26th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Win-blows :lolflag:

rybu
September 26th, 2007, 10:50 PM
All my computers have been Linux-only since 2002. I started with Red Hat, then moved to Mandriva in 2004, then to Ubuntu this summer. I'm happy with my Vectrex emulation under sdlmess + a few online games like WoP. I'm easy to please.

ShuaM75
September 26th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I haven't booted Windows for four months.

I play UT2K4, Q3, D3, SNES ROMS, and Frozen Bubble. I stay entertained.

My name Shua and I have been M$ free for 2 months now. I have accepted that in the past I have been week, and that each day is a chance to change. My addiction to spending too much of my and my family's income on a product that never satisfies has hurt those around me and in turn the greater population. For that
I'm sorry. I'll say it again...

I'M SORRY!

With your support I can become strong again. It has been two gratifying months since my last M$ 'Boot' and I am a proud survivor.
My only hope is that others will follow, and become clean, free and most of all, have there cup of UBUNTU and drink it too!

Thanks for your support.

Shua

nikoPSK
September 27th, 2007, 02:23 AM
I have. Xp had a pop-up virus so I got the 7.04 disk now I'm hooked. Porblems though. My Sound Blaster Audigy doesn't work..., My Winfast TV200 tuner I can't find drivers (or a program for watching TV on...) and my printer sometimes stops. :confused:

beanco
September 27th, 2007, 08:42 AM
I have but am starting to regret it..

i do not know enough about linux to fix problems I have been having.

I try to get help but not everybody roudn here has time.

Currently I cannot connect to theInternet, which makes using this forum impossible from home... but i hope to get it taken care of.

I hope to learn more.

I have been thikning of going back to XP but I really do not want to.

robi

apmjoshi
September 27th, 2007, 09:40 AM
I installed Ubuntu on my old laptop with the intention of switching completely to it. However wireless networking is very iffy on the laptop I have installed it, so I keep going back to Windows XP. I tried to fix the wireless problem (no replies to my message on the forum) but did not get very far.
I have a utilitarian view of OSs and while Ubuntu is a great improvement over earlier Linux versions, it doesn't 'just work' for me.

glennfelix
September 27th, 2007, 03:33 PM
First, I ain't no computer genius. I got rid of Windows @ 6 years ago because of ideological reasons( can anyone say "information should be free"?)and put in RedHat. Since then I've gone to Suse and now to Ubuntu, sometimes with a dual-boot of Linux and Windows 200 Professional. I've been Windows clean and sober for @ a year, and once in a while I think about having an easier time getting streaming audio. But then I come to my senses.

persev
September 27th, 2007, 03:41 PM

I have been linux only for over three years, started with Mandrake 9.2. And the niggling issue I am having right now is file sharing. Why does sharing a file between two or three linux computers on a home network that is connected to the internet through a hardware router have to be so difficult. One would think that when one chose to share a folder using the share folder option that it would work but it doesn't, don't matter if I choose smb or nfs I get this error "The folder contents could not be displayed.", I'm able to see other computers on my network but can't access the shared folders, no useful error messages. It is ludicrous to me that it is easier to share a folder between linux and windows than linux and linux.

nikoPSK
September 28th, 2007, 12:09 AM
driver issues for some things though and compatibility problems... over all it's great though!:popcorn:

Gordy
September 28th, 2007, 12:26 AM
I have 4 computers ranging from a Xeon 450Mhz all the way up to 2.4GhZ and all are Ubuntu..

I use Windows at work (I HATE IT!) and I spend lots of the time rebooting...

The company I work for uses Windows for running their software and a lot of the problems our customers have is the way Windows behaves.

Windows just is not safe enough to be trusted by any means.

As for Games, Yes Windows is ok but that is all!

jacob01
September 28th, 2007, 12:38 AM
yea i did and i don't regret it i can do more with Linux than i could in ms windows and a lot more secure

RedMist
September 28th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Linux is such a breath of fresh air. Everything is way faster, cleaner, more configurable and most of all completely open. No back doors, software phoning home etc etc. I've been tinkering with linux for a few years now but never used it as my main OS. A couple of weeks ago I just snapped with Vista and installed Kubuntu on my main HD and relegated vista to my older smaller secondary HD. As soon as I get my couple of games working in Cedega, im gonna nuke my Vista installation altogether as all I use it for is those games.

nikoPSK
September 28th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Linux is such a breath of fresh air. Everything is way faster, cleaner, more configurable and most of all completely open. No back doors, software phoning home etc etc. I've been tinkering with linux for a few years now but never used it as my main OS. A couple of weeks ago I just snapped with Vista and installed Kubuntu on my main HD and relegated vista to my older smaller secondary HD. As soon as I get my couple of games working in Cedega, im gonna nuke my Vista installation altogether as all I use it for is those games.

I got a virus so I switched over. Some of my games don't work that ell under wine (eg. starcraft) so is this cedenga you speak of any good?:confused:

cwrann
September 28th, 2007, 06:55 AM
I was a casual computer user who turned full on geek after installing Ubuntu. I would never look back, the OS and the philosophy behind it are to important.

theangryamoeba
September 28th, 2007, 08:29 AM
I have been windows free since 2004.

I use linux on both of my computers. I custom built my server and have never been happier. It took less than 3 hours to have it fully configured. It was $200 cheaper than a similarly equipped vista pc. It is far more stable, and does more things than the vista machine is capable of.

Performance on my laptop is amazing too. I fully charged the battery and ran vista until the battery died.(using the most efficient power saving mode and only listening to music, and surfing the web) I got about 2 hours. under Ubuntu I've gotten about 3 1/2 hours with the same behavior.

The only concessions I have to windows is IE 6 installed under wine for some websites that I need to access for school, and the vista recovery partition in case I ever decide to sell the computer.

ellis rowell
September 28th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I have been linux only for over three years, started with Mandrake 9.2. And the niggling issue I am having right now is file sharing. Why does sharing a file between two or three linux computers on a home network that is connected to the internet through a hardware router have to be so difficult. One would think that when one chose to share a folder using the share folder option that it would work but it doesn't, don't matter if I choose smb or nfs I get this error "The folder contents could not be displayed.", I'm able to see other computers on my network but can't access the shared folders, no useful error messages. It is ludicrous to me that it is easier to share a folder between linux and windows than linux and linux.

Yes, I have experienced the same problems. I have tried to share a printer with no success. I tried to install a Brother DCP135C printer on my Ubuntu machine and just couldn't get the hang of it, so I installed it on a Windows XP laptop, then tried to network the Ubuntu machine to it. No go. I now have four printers, only one of which will work on Ubuntu (and that is the oldest, an Epson Stylus C680). Canon Scanners are another no go. The latest printer has a built in scanner which works OK under Win XP but I cannot get it working under Ubuntu 7.04.

Wireless networking is fine for the internet. I cannot get it working on WLAN or even networking with XP on wired LAN.

Has anyone got the following to work fully on Ubuntu (if so, how?):-
Canon Pixma IP1600 printer
Minolta Magicolor 2400W laser printer
Brother DCP 135C printer/scanner.
Canon Lide 20 Scanner
Canon Canoscan 4400F scanner.

RedMist
September 28th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I got a virus so I switched over. Some of my games don't work that ell under wine (eg. starcraft) so is this cedenga you speak of any good?:confused:

Cedega is a proprietary fork of Wine, designed specifically for running windows games under Linux. You can find out more at their website http://www.transgaming.com/ or check out the Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedega.
While not perfect by any means its an option worth looking at anyway.

Edago
September 28th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I am a complete Noob at Linux. I am an Ex-Windows User looking for something more Efficient and I can work with. So far I love the Terminal Feature! and the GUI :D

Does the Documentation tell you about the Whole File System folder because I have no clue which Folders are for which. :/

chadlongstaff
September 28th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I had been completely shifted to Linux for two days, then someone gave me a macmini. Poking it a bit, will give os x six months or so on dual boot then it'll be all linux again.

chadlongstaff
September 28th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Does the Documentation tell you about the Whole File System folder because I have no clue which Folders are for which. :/

google "linux file system jpg", second link was my wallpaper for a long while ;-)

savemekaizer
September 28th, 2007, 05:52 PM
I seem to have accidentally fully switched.
I was half-asleep and very frustrated when it finally started installing, so I just wanted it to be done with.
I wanted to dual-boot XP and Ubuntu.
Eh, I'll just use WINE for the older games.

When I get a laptop for college, hopefully I'll be able to run STALKER on it.
If not, then I'm screwed. :)

maybeway36
September 28th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I haven't switched completely to Linux; I still use FreeDOS for playing yahtzee :P

Frak
September 28th, 2007, 10:38 PM
google "linux file system jpg", second link was my wallpaper for a long while ;-)
That's an older Unix like File-system heirarchy, not Linux. All the directory names are incorrect (they are uppercase, so technically wrong, as Unix FS is case-sensitive, and older Unix was uppercase) and Linux has the /proc directory.

Close enough for me though.

frank002
September 29th, 2007, 04:54 AM
If there was a Quicken version for Ubuntu, Bye Bye Windows. Gnucash is horrible compared to Quicken.

notatoad
September 29th, 2007, 05:11 AM
i still need to unwind with a bit of GTA every now and then, but i much prefer ubuntu for normal desktop use. i will buy a xbox360 when GTA4 comes out, and then i can stop using windows for good.

sstusick
September 29th, 2007, 08:26 AM
If there was a Quicken version for Ubuntu, Bye Bye Windows. Gnucash is horrible compared to Quicken.
I think Quicken is horrible. It makes 5 backups of your data file... and the next time you backup, it fails to backup them 5 copies, it just makes another 5 copies.

I can't count the number of times I've had to go through the Quicken files and figure out which file was updated and what wasn't. Not to mention the other files in the backup directory that you have no clue what they are. It's like the program backs up a little bit of data into numerous files. Crazy.

mastersenser
September 29th, 2007, 08:31 AM
I been planning to switch since 2005, but I guess World of Warcraft kept me on windows. Luckily a few weeks ago, I received the ubuntu installers I ordered and finally gave it a try.

Ubuntu installed easily on my system and with almost everything (except for the display drivers). The first week was very troublesome because of me having difficulty installing the Nvidia drivers. Then I tried making WoW and Warcraft III run and hey, it worked (gameplay's much smoother compared to windows in my opinion)!

Then I tried installing Guild Wars and it worked again (although not as smooth as WoW but I guess with more tweaking it could get better).

With everything working smoothly, I can say that I'm a new Linux convert.

nikoPSK
September 29th, 2007, 06:57 PM
WOW works under wine great. my friend uses it.

(Guild wars = better because you don't pay 14$ a month (rip off)):KS

propensity
September 29th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I have completely switched to linux.

I work both on kde and gnome. Currently, I have kubuntu boot splash to start my computer, log in through gdm, and I frequently use kontact, kopete, amarok, kile... under gnome in gusty.

The only times I have problems I am having recently is the docx.

dougmorin
September 29th, 2007, 08:24 PM
I have only been using Linux for a couple years now. Before I was on dial-up and had a lot of problems configuring my card so I was forced to use windows, but now I am on DSL and do not have those problems.

Although Ubuntu is my main os at home, at work I am forced to use windows due to my work as a website designer and my need for adobe and macromedia products. Even at home I find myself booting windows when I need to design (not program) a website. I tried using wine to install dreamweaver but for some reason dreamweaver doesn't load... just freezes.

I can't wait until makers of adobe configure their software to be run as Linux as well, because this is getting ridiculous :)

-Doug

elvis
September 29th, 2007, 09:08 PM

http://geek2live.blogspot.com/2007/09/linux-file-structure.html

Frak
September 29th, 2007, 09:25 PM
http://geek2live.blogspot.com/2007/09/linux-file-structure.html
Look at this (http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/linuxdir.html) instead.

The chart from geek2live is a representation of the old UNIX filesystem, not Linux. There are a lot of differences in old UNIX FS compared to Linux FS.

punkybouy
September 29th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Best of both worlds! I just installed Innotek Virtualbox and then a virtual XP install using a license I had not used in a couple of years. Awesome.

elvis
September 29th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Look at this (http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/linuxdir.html) instead.

The chart from geek2live is a representation of the old UNIX filesystem, not Linux. There are a lot of differences in old UNIX FS compared to Linux FS.

Very good point.

I come from a UNIX background, and totally missed that it was a UNIX-focussed layout because it looked so familiar. :)

rapsatol
October 1st, 2007, 11:39 PM
i change my laptop to ubuntu its great:KS

morleyrees
October 2nd, 2007, 01:19 AM
I use linux 99% of the time now. I've got Vista on my PC but the activation period ran out a few months back!!

Used linux for nearly 10 years started with slackware and then moved on to suse (which I still use in its 10.1 guise)

More recently I've installed Ubuntu on a number of PCs including my daughter's which has filtered web content thanks to dansguardian and is been used as a test bed for a wireless mythtv twin dvb server/pvr which I hope to build once I get the rest of the components past my eagle eyed wife ;-)

My laptop's also got Ubuntu on it but because of some software choices made by work I have to use XP on this sometimes (I've tried to get programs to work in wine)

SAMBA has proved invaluable over the years when I've had to use (ironically) a linux rescue disk to boot up a customer's infected win machine so I can save their precious data elsewhere. Once cleaned/setup/updated I've then used a combination of parted and partimage to backup their pc.

All my current hardware works well (with only some minor tweaking :-) ) on Ubuntu including my webcam, scanner, printers, tv card and wireless cards. I find installing/updating software much easier than suse and the wealth of documentation and expertise available is amazing.

Mike

catfacts
October 2nd, 2007, 01:19 AM
you see this is how being a programmer is great. A text editor and im set! However try an install of wine and see if you get your games working under that. If you can your set too!

foreign-memories
October 2nd, 2007, 02:05 AM
I stopped completely using windows a few weeks ago.
I use Wine to run windows-applications I can't live without and the rest is already in linux :D

Lightstar
October 2nd, 2007, 05:25 AM
I'd say I use Linux for about 90% of the things I do..
But..
I use Linux only 40% of the time I'm on the computer

I only do one thing on my windows, that's playing online games, either FFXI or EQ2... once that gets fixed I'm probably never going to see windows again. I'm gonna keep it on the computer though, since I'm not the only one that uses it.

oromisthewise
October 2nd, 2007, 07:17 PM
i made the total switch the same time as feistys launch :)

it was just this one day when my desktop seized up and i got so annoyed i did an angry german kid and punched the dell badge and whole face in.

so i restarted and went looking for alternatives and there on engadget of all places was feisty. i had a little trouble getting cos it was actually release day and the servers were dying so i had to use a torrent, but i got it on with no problems and deliberately wiped xp and the memory of it off my hard disc and brain.

i now have it on my shiny new laptop too, although unfortunately i missed the boat for the actual dellbuntu machines because i bought it like a week too early :(

and now i am still running the same feisty install on my big desktop and i am running the gutsy beta on my lappy, because feisty did a crappy job of setting a proper resolution for my screen, but gutsy works nicely.

i havent managed to convert any windows-minded folks yet but i have got one guy who will be moving come gutsy's launch.

+1 for the average joe :guitar:

ljonesj
October 2nd, 2007, 07:30 PM
i have not totaly made a switch but i have bought a laptop to use with ubuntu my other laptop is a compaq running xp home i use it as my gaming machine as i have not got a lot of games to work with wine i am going to redo my xp machine back to new install and get it were only my games are being played i dont care about media playback except for my music for my ipod

tlink
October 3rd, 2007, 12:23 AM
My desktop at home is a ubuntu only computer. I left windows behind and am for the most part happy. I'm a gamer as well, to a small extent. I play WoW religiously and it runs beautifully under wine. Neverwinters native client is superb, WCIII Diablo2 Starcraft all run excellent under wine as well.

There have been a couple games though that I wish I would have been able to get running... (Neverwinter 2 though to be honest, I was close, just couldn't clinch it under wine). For what I play it works great, and I have no complaints. I just wish game developers would seriously at least look at making native linux clients for games.

snickers295
October 3rd, 2007, 12:37 AM
i jumped in to deep over my head with linux but i never went back to windows. summer 2006 my windows 98 computer crashed and happened to Google "Computer Operating Systems" and read something about linux so i told my grandpa about it and he gave me a suse linux 7.3 desktop from a friend and that was bugged up then for Christmas he got me Xandros Home-Premium 4.0 which was ok until they signed a deal with Microsoft and then when they released sp1 the whole system was awful so i downloaded ubuntu 7.4 about a week ago so thats were i am today.
the bottom line: Yes I Have Completely Switched Over To Linux.

macmatt
October 3rd, 2007, 03:19 AM
Switched TO Linux?... I tried it for ages, but got rather fed up with the whole fiddle and twiddle business, just to get ANYTHING to work as intended.

Having said that, Linux served me wonderfully as a stop-gap, until my true love came along... Mac OS X!.

Well done Linux - you saved me from Windows, but OS X saved me from you!!.

I have to say though, Ubuntu/Mint are possibly THE easiest to use distros, and VERY well made and maintained... I just prefer to drive my car, not constantly carry out oil changes!.

Frak
October 3rd, 2007, 03:25 AM
Switched TO Linux?... I tried it for ages, but got rather fed up with the whole fiddle and twiddle business, just to get ANYTHING to work as intended.

Having said that, Linux served me wonderfully as a stop-gap, until my true love came along... Mac OS X!.

Well done Linux - you saved me from Windows, but OS X saved me from you!!.

I have to say though, Ubuntu/Mint are possibly THE easiest to use distros, and VERY well made and maintained... I just prefer to drive my car, not constantly carry out oil changes!.
You try Gutsy yet? They have everything down to a science. All the codecs, flash, blah. are in the Restricted Extras Package. Fx plugin install via Add/Remove, and auto-printer detection/configuration. There is more stuff, but I'm on the run as it is ;)

macmatt
October 3rd, 2007, 03:34 AM
You try Gutsy yet? They have everything down to a science. All the codecs, flash, blah. are in the Restricted Extras Package. Fx plugin install via Add/Remove, and auto-printer detection/configuration. There is more stuff, but I'm on the run as it is ;)

Sorry, no. I can't take Linux seriously any more. Mac has saved my *ss many a time, and I know it SOUNDS like a cliche, but it really does "just work" (99% of the time anyhow - all OS' have off days!).

Hobby project on a grand scale?... not so sure, but it isn't anything LIKE what the propaganda paints it to be; Linux is fun, but not commercially ready yet.

Mac saved me from:

1/ The instabilty and ugliness of windows

2/ The inconvenience and protracted, spun-out lengthy setup procedures of Linux.

3/... don't think you're gonna "convert me" back to Linux - sorry, but it just lacks SO SO much, in the way of out-of-the-box simplicity. Ask ANY everyday mac user.

The more flavours there are, the more they change Linux, the more REASONS they give people to not use it, until it settles into a consistent pattern, and narrows itself down to less than 20 varieties LOL. Politics seem to play WAY too much of a part, in something which is a tool for a purpose, not a religion.

KDE vs Gnome? zzzZZZzzz Stallman vs the world... oh please... grow UP!.

Frak
October 3rd, 2007, 03:42 AM
Sorry, no. I can't take Linux seriously any more. Mac has saved my *ss many a time, and I know it SOUNDS like a cliche, but it really does "just work" (99% of the time anyhow - all OS' have off days!).

Hobby project on a grand scale?... not so sure, but it isn't anything LIKE what the propaganda paints it to be; Linux is fun, but not commercially ready yet.

Mac saved me from:

1/ The instabilty and ugliness of windows

2/ The inconvenience and protracted, spun-out lengthy setup procedures of Linux.

3/... don't think you're gonna "convert me" back to Linux - sorry, but it just lacks SO SO much, in the way of out-of-the-box simplicity. Ask ANY everyday mac user.

The more flavours there are, the more they change Linux, the more REASONS they give people to not use it, until it settles into a consistent pattern, and narrows itself down to less than 20 varieties LOL. Politics seem to play WAY too much of a part, in something which is a tool for a purpose, not a religion.

KDE vs Gnome? zzzZZZzzz Stallman vs the world... oh please... grow UP!.
OK, as you notice I am a Mac user also, I just bought 2 more Mac Pro's, so that increases my collection to 2 iMac's, 1 MacBook, and 2 Mac Pro's. Why? I like Mac's :)

I just give everything a chance, be forgiving, and be open to all possibilities.
Heck, if Windows done everything I needed, I wouldn't be typing this now.

Frak

macmatt
October 3rd, 2007, 03:46 AM
OK, as you notice I am a Mac user also, I just bought 2 more Mac Pro's, so that increases my collection to 2 iMac's, 1 MacBook, and 2 Mac Pro's. Why? I like Mac's :)

I just give everything a chance, be forgiving, and be open to all possibilities.
Heck, if Windows done everything I needed, I wouldn't be typing this now.

Frak

Windows:

Does nothing you want, and EVERYTHING you don't want. Fact, or lie?.

Frak
October 3rd, 2007, 04:09 AM
Windows:

Does nothing you want, and EVERYTHING you don't want. Fact, or lie?.
Both
It doesn't do everything I want, but it acts as if it was built to hate me...

CommonClone
October 3rd, 2007, 10:13 AM
I have been M$ free for over a year now...I think that if you have the slightest idea of whats going on inside the magic black box, there is no point in using non-OS software, especially with the kind of linux distros that are coming out now.

sunexplodes
October 3rd, 2007, 10:18 AM
I'm MS-free for now. I'm not too much of a gamer, but I will be loading an XP partition again when Fallout 3 comes out. And if there's ever a KOTOR 3, the same.

anarchist_hippy
October 3rd, 2007, 06:28 PM
I used to use Suse 10.2... But I bought an HP Compaq nx7400 and I installed it (standalone:)) Kubuntu. Why? With Suse 10.2 there's something missing with my laptop's configuration... And I can't solve them :(

Whatever, I must use windows with my PC. No dualboot with anything. 'cause, I'm designer and like Photoshop, Freehand, Illustrator...etc. programs doesn't have Linux support. So, I'm planning to buy a Mac with MacOsX... And Windows will go away from my life forever, I hope :D

nikoPSK
October 3rd, 2007, 08:44 PM
I'm all linux now. Exept I did like the usability and tweaks of xp. oh well, I could just emualate it.:)

orpat
October 3rd, 2007, 09:28 PM
I did on Sunday... I have one application I am still trying to get to run correctly under a windows emulator. I just have to try several until I get the one that works best.
The only hardware problem id my Scanner (canon) No one is even working on a fix, so I'll network my laptop(XP) and use it from there for the little I do use it.

nikoPSK
October 3rd, 2007, 10:31 PM
I did on Sunday... I have one application I am still trying to get to run correctly under a windows emulator. I just have to try several until I get the one that works best.
The only hardware problem id my Scanner (canon) No one is even working on a fix, so I'll network my laptop(XP) and use it from there for the little I do use it.

have you tried wine?:)

elvis
October 3rd, 2007, 10:32 PM
Linux is fun, but not commercially ready yet.

Blanket statements much?

Linux is the perfect solution for the corporate office. As I've said TO DEATH, the corporate office doesn't need a system that's "newbie friendly". In fact, quite the opposite. The corporate office has systems administrators and helpdesk staff to do the system config side of things. Average users should be doing nothing more than logging in to their PCs of a morning, checking emails, writing documents and spreadsheets, and using their supplied software.

MacOSX and Windows are often touted as superior operating systems because of their "ease of use". This might be true for the home users, but has ArsTechnica points out, the world needs to distinguish the difference between home software and work software, and realise that's what is "easy" for home users is not necessarily "good" for business users. (In fact, it's quite the opposite, as "easy" software more often than not is unconfigurable and far too low-end for business):
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070605-product-loyalty-consumers-mistake-familiarity-with-superiority.html

Back to your statement above: Linux is more than commercially ready. It's been that way for quite some time now. Linux does occasionally require a user who knows what they are doing with their system and understands things about computing in a little more detail than your average desktop user. But again, in a work environment where people are payed to be systems administrators, that is the perfect environment.

I've worked in corporate IT for quite some time now. Never have I seen a workplace where the end user was responsible for installing 3D graphics drivers, installing scanner software, configuring the network settings of their machine, etc. All of that is performed by the IT staff employed to do that job. In fact, if things are set up properly, end-users won't even have the system permission/authorization to do those tasks.

I currently help many businesses as an IT contractor, and quite a few now run Linux on the desktop (not as many who run it on the server, but that's not the scope of this thread). For those who do, it's a painless operation because they have paid support personnel (ie: me) to do the tricky stuff for them.

So my suggestion is you should refine your statement. Is Linux ready for the MacOSX/Windows using home PC owner? Well, maybe, depending on their technical skill and interest. I'd say 10% or more of home users are very much ready for Linux on the desktop from my direct experience. Certainly not the majority, but a good slug of them for sure.

And for the 90% who aren't, that's fine. These are the reasons why we have choice, and why choice is good. But it needs to be said that simply because Linux still exists at all is a sign of it's competence. Linux will die only when people stop using it.

But when it comes to businesses, especially those who have full time IT support employed, Linux on the desktop was ready 5 years ago. Why do I say that? Because that's about the time that businesses started asking me to install it on the Desktop for them. I've set up everything from thin client installs for point of sale users through to high end workstations and renderfarms for visual effects operators. Most of what I do is way beyond the comprehension of your average home user. Does that mean Linux is "not ready for commercial use"? Hell no. If it was, then high-end systems like SAP (large enterprise ERP/finance system) and PRMan (Pixar Renderman - rendering software used to make special effects in 90% of films playing in cinemas today) would also be "not ready", and thus "not in use".

"Complex" does not equal "bad". Far from it.

"People who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by those doing it".

LLauranzonIII
October 3rd, 2007, 11:21 PM
almost ready for primetime. i am using it fully on the laptop from which i'm typing. as soon as 7.10 is out i want to dual boot the desktop with it that has vista. vista is such a piece of junk. it'll only be used for itunes when i need to update my ipod with podcasts. though i'll be experimenting with the apps on ubuntu to see what i can get working and try it out.

shrimphead
October 3rd, 2007, 11:36 PM
... quote snipped for compactness...

+1! that was quite possibly the most eloquent rebuttal of that old argument I've read in a long time, thank you.

Frak
October 4th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Blanket statements much?

Linux is the perfect solution for the corporate office. As I've said TO DEATH, the corporate office doesn't need a system that's "newbie friendly". In fact, quite the opposite. The corporate office has systems administrators and helpdesk staff to do the system config side of things. Average users should be doing nothing more than logging in to their PCs of a morning, checking emails, writing documents and spreadsheets, and using their supplied software.

MacOSX and Windows are often touted as superior operating systems because of their "ease of use". This might be true for the home users, but has ArsTechnica points out, the world needs to distinguish the difference between home software and work software, and realise that's what is "easy" for home users is not necessarily "good" for business users. (In fact, it's quite the opposite, as "easy" software more often than not is unconfigurable and far too low-end for business):
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070605-product-loyalty-consumers-mistake-familiarity-with-superiority.html

Back to your statement above: Linux is more than commercially ready. It's been that way for quite some time now. Linux does occasionally require a user who knows what they are doing with their system and understands things about computing in a little more detail than your average desktop user. But again, in a work environment where people are payed to be systems administrators, that is the perfect environment.

I've worked in corporate IT for quite some time now. Never have I seen a workplace where the end user was responsible for installing 3D graphics drivers, installing scanner software, configuring the network settings of their machine, etc. All of that is performed by the IT staff employed to do that job. In fact, if things are set up properly, end-users won't even have the system permission/authorization to do those tasks.

I currently help many businesses as an IT contractor, and quite a few now run Linux on the desktop (not as many who run it on the server, but that's not the scope of this thread). For those who do, it's a painless operation because they have paid support personnel (ie: me) to do the tricky stuff for them.

So my suggestion is you should refine your statement. Is Linux ready for the MacOSX/Windows using home PC owner? Well, maybe, depending on their technical skill and interest. I'd say 10% or more of home users are very much ready for Linux on the desktop from my direct experience. Certainly not the majority, but a good slug of them for sure.

And for the 90% who aren't, that's fine. These are the reasons why we have choice, and why choice is good. But it needs to be said that simply because Linux still exists at all is a sign of it's competence. Linux will die only when people stop using it.

But when it comes to businesses, especially those who have full time IT support employed, Linux on the desktop was ready 5 years ago. Why do I say that? Because that's about the time that businesses started asking me to install it on the Desktop for them. I've set up everything from thin client installs for point of sale users through to high end workstations and renderfarms for visual effects operators. Most of what I do is way beyond the comprehension of your average home user. Does that mean Linux is "not ready for commercial use"? Hell no. If it was, then high-end systems like SAP (large enterprise ERP/finance system) and PRMan (rendering software used to make special effects in 90% of films playing in cinemas today) would also be "not ready", and thus "not in use".

"Complex" does not equal "bad". Far from it.

"People who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by those doing it".

W00t \\:D/

Great Post :)

derekr44
October 4th, 2007, 12:41 AM
I will be moved 100% to Linux as soon as I figure out how to do this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=566652).

twobicycles
October 4th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Excellent question! I first installed Ubuntu 5.10 about 18 months ago and have since used all of the subsequent versions of Ubuntu as well as trying Xubuntu, PCLinuxOS V.TR3, Damn Small Linux, Yoper Linux V.2.1.0, Fedora 7, and open SuSE V.10.2. I now use Ubuntu 7.04 on both my desktop (dual-booted with WinXP) and my laptop (exclusively). It took me a while to figure out how to accomplish ALL of the tasks that I used to do in XP. Actually, I still haven't gotten Google Earth to work properly, but that's about it. I also used Ubuntu nearly exclusively for the past year to finish my graduate degree online. Haven't booted Windoze in several months and intend to remove it entirely because my anti-virus subscription has expired and I don't want to renew it for an OS that I no longer use.

tdrusk
October 4th, 2007, 02:51 AM
I've been using Ubuntu for 2 years, but I fully switched about 3 months ago.

metrorat
October 5th, 2007, 08:46 AM
I'm a total newb to Ubuntu (FF 7.04) but am properly addicted after only 4 weeks. I've hated WinXP for a long time but now have my laptop dual-booted. The only thing I use XP for is to run audio appz like Nuendo with as as many annoying XP features turned off as possible. It doesn't even get a peek at the net. Use Ubuntu for everything else and very happy with it so far. Once I get my EMU1616m working (beta driver is out.., Woot!) I'll be happy as a pig in its underpants.

liegerm
October 5th, 2007, 09:58 AM
I 100% switched around the release of Dapper. The only thing that causes me a pain is my cheap WinPrinter (Canon i250).

RobertBlo
October 5th, 2007, 11:54 AM
HI

I am trying to switch to ubuntu completely but i am still learning how to do it, until two days ago i was fully windows user until my Laptop crashed so i decided to install only ubuntu 7.04
I was very annoying always having problem with Windows
there are some things that i would like to know like, how compatible are MS Office with OpenOffice as i use a lot Excel macros and Acces Database that is one of the thing that quite warries me.
so if you know how i can get to work macros and templates in both sowtware it would much Appreciated
another thing is my music on my Ipod, which one do you think is the best Mp3 palyer compatible with ipod

thanks a lot

nikoPSK
October 5th, 2007, 03:15 PM
HI

I am trying to switch to ubuntu completely but i am still learning how to do it, until two days ago i was fully windows user until my Laptop crashed so i decided to install only ubuntu 7.04
there are some things that i would like to know like, how compatible are MS Office with OpenOffice as i use a lot Excel macros and Acces Database that is one of the thing that quite warries me.
so if you know how i can get to work macros and templates in both sowtware it would much Appreciated
another thing is my music on my Ipod, which one do you think is the best Mp3 palyer compatible with ipod

thanks a lot

openoffice can save in .doc format so files between word and oOo can be shared from a windows (blech) pc to a linux box. Access is probably the only thing you won't get in Openoffice. I you want to run some windows programs theres always wine. And iPods I'm not sure about since I don'y own one. this might help:

http://ubuntuguide.org/:KS

boyeut
October 5th, 2007, 04:47 PM
I mainly use it, except one or two software.

And I like ubuntu more and more.

ghostcrab
October 5th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I have......
Linux work's for me I can confidentially say I'm done with Windows
also Linux is very convenient for me all the free software and all the learning I have done. Why would I want to go back to Windows. I feel like this if it wasent for Windows I would have never learned about Linux.
So I guess I owe M$ a thank you for being so shity I think Linux is more user friendly then XP,Vista once you learn it and learn how to their is a bookoo amount of help out their you just have to have patience and take it one step at a time.

BigSilly
October 5th, 2007, 05:04 PM
As soon as Gutsy is out, that's it for me and Windows. Yay!

I've had such a tremendous Linux experience with Feisty Fawn. I cannot underline this enough - I love it, the family loves it, and I'd like to say thank you so much to the developers. I've used other distros (though I'm certainly no expert), but Ubuntu is the one for me. I say 'one', when really when I stick Gutsy over my XP partition, I'm also going to put another Linux on my spare partition too.

Any recommendations? PCLOS? Mandriva?

Sofie
October 5th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I am about to. At my notebook I only have Ubuntu now. And it is perfect! Im still imissing some drivers, but Im working on it. When it works fully, I am going to do the same to my pc. It seems that I can find programs that can fulfill all my needs. Free and with ethic!

I work with grafics: photoediting, animations and html-editing, and it seems that I can do all that with Linux.

Thanks to you all!

joecool362
October 5th, 2007, 08:30 PM
If they get ubuntu a little bit better (easier to use) :)windows is GONE

nikoPSK
October 5th, 2007, 08:35 PM
there should always be .deb packages. the less experienced windows user who wants to give linux a try might be confused with the apt-get and terminal stuff... It wasn't hard at all for me since i used to work with cmd alot. I wish things would work a bit better... My sound blaster audigy isn't being recognized so I'm stuck woth on-board and I had to configure HPLIP manually since ubuntu wasn't recognizing my HP Deskjet 932C... And I still get no sound in TVtime so I'm going to try some tut somebody told me about.:)

ATrentino
October 5th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I have switched completely to ubuntu. There is absolutely nothing for which I need Windows anymore. And while ubuntu is getting better Windows is getting worse (from XP to Vista.....)

Jukums
October 5th, 2007, 10:24 PM
+1 here...

I had (and still have) some issues with stuff on my lappy, but I haven't even switched to windoze for 4 months now...
got dual monitor working,
then i found wine and installed pokerstars, so no need for windows anymore :D
lol...

now i'm trying to get my logitech webcam working... it's working on ekiga, but nowhere else.. what i want really is to get some pictures but... will c...

this is gr8t... tried gnome at first, now i'm in kde :)

oxygala
October 5th, 2007, 10:27 PM
webcams are still tricky, wiped off windows though. windows is so annoying with its crashes and download/setup hassles etc. after you get used to ubuntu and synaptic.

nikoPSK
October 6th, 2007, 12:25 AM
ive only had the blue screen of death 3 times... 3 times too many. And I never had a crash unless it was with one of my blue screen of deaths. I'm comepletely ubuntu now.

gn2
October 6th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Any recommendations? PCLOS? Mandriva?

Sam Linux is worth a look: http://sam.hipsurfer.com/news.php

nikoPSK
October 6th, 2007, 02:43 AM
That looks quite fun... I could give my friends a few copies of this and see what they think. Eh, What would you recommend for a dell latitude cpi with:

128 RAM
267 mgz processor

(yes I know it sucks but I don't know how to install damn small properly giving it another go right now:popcorn:

ellis rowell
October 6th, 2007, 10:36 AM
HI

thanks a lot

You could download Open Office for Windows, then try out the compatibility. It won't cost anything, the other way round would be VERY expensive.

gn2
October 6th, 2007, 10:40 AM
What would you recommend for a dell latitude cpi with:
128 RAM
267 mgz processor

Zenwalk or Puppy should be OK, but I haven't used either myself.

casperfelix
October 6th, 2007, 12:05 PM
99% for the last 6months. It's more stable, faster, looks good (Kubuntu with Beryl) and there are very few Windows specific file types or software that you can't work around.:KS

almancora
October 6th, 2007, 12:11 PM
I completely use ubuntu.
I was having issues with windows when I was trying to copy a cd and my Nero trail was finished. I looked for a crack but got a virus, and it messed everything up. All this crap for a stupid copy of a cd, i bought legaly at a cdstore. So in all my anger I made a ubuntu 7.04 cd on a other computer en got rid of windows, and my eyes to linux were opened.

If I had'nt had the issues with windows, I problably would just have had a dual boot (cause I was allready intrested in linux). Afterwards I'm glad I got rid of it right away

c5QGz8DN
October 6th, 2007, 04:07 PM
.. edit ..

nikoPSK
October 6th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Zenwalk or Puppy should be OK, but I haven't used either myself.

Puppy I tried, Damn small I tried, Both failed miserably
I will try this zenwalk:KS Thanks

BigSilly
October 6th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Sam Linux is worth a look: http://sam.hipsurfer.com/news.php

Hey that looks cool. Where'd it come from, and why haven't I seen it before? :D

I might give that a go. Many thanks. :)

leg
October 6th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I have completely moved to Gentoo Linux at home for a while now. I still use XP at work but there is nothing I can do about that and believe me I have tried. I have Ubuntu installed, in case your wondering, and use it if and when I break my Gentoo.

amac62
October 6th, 2007, 05:03 PM
I switched to ubuntu about 5 months ago after making the huge mistake of upgrading xp to vista. That was the best thing I ever did as it showed just how bad windows has truly become. Farewell Mr Gates...no more crashes, viruses etc...etc... Ubuntu is my only OS now...it's now installed on all computers in our house. :popcorn:

gn2
October 6th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Hey that looks cool. [Sam Linux] Where'd it come from

Sam is an XFCE version of PCLinuxOS.
I used it for a while without any problems, but switched back to Xubuntu when 7.04 came out.

sylecn
October 6th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I still use windows for PES, the best ever football game.

arkara
October 6th, 2007, 07:00 PM
i have a dual boot to xp/ubuntu 7.04 i am testing for a month now. and i will move on to ubuntu after 18 october. i will keep my windows at 45 gb
partition for gaming only and maybe for compatibility reasons..
but ubuntu will be my primary os if you are not a gamer linux can completely cover your needs

gerard scargo
October 6th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I have installed it on my PC , liking it a lot but have many questions about Adobe programs like photoshop. Can I use it?

JParkus
October 6th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I stopped using windows almost a year ago. I use Cedega to play World of Warcraft and ubuntu has everything else. This forum has been the best part of me switcching!!!

myo
October 10th, 2007, 08:24 AM
I use Xubuntu on my desktop for internet/productivity/etc, and Debian PPC on my laptop for music and coding. Between these two, I probably spend 90% of the time in Linux. I am still tied to OS X for a few very crucial apps which will unfortunatly never make it to linux.

senshisteph
October 10th, 2007, 01:10 PM
As I'm not a gamer (unless you count solitaire and 'samegnome') I have no use for windows at all - in fact at the weekend I got a new laptop (actually the first machine I've ever owned that's less than 5 years old!) preinstalled with Vista - within half an hour of getting it out of the box I'd wiped it and installed Ubuntu instead. Everything I've plugged into it so far (scanner, mobile phone, etc.) has worked like a dream. I'm a very happy vista-less bunny!

CVNChaotic
October 10th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I used to game a lot on windows, now I just play a bit of Doom3 and Oblivion on Ubuntu Fiesty.

My home network has an xp file server that I run Corel DraWINGs in a terminal session, 3 Fiesty installs and Gutsy on my computer. My wife had to go back to windows for DraWINGs, but she has been on me to get her back on Linux. Every time something crashes in Windows she goes off on a rant about wanting her linux!

Were it not for the USB lock in DraWINGS we would be 100% Linux.

I've got 2 CentOS servers and 3 Ubuntu servers at work. All of what they will call production servers are running Windows, but even my boss is afraid to expose Windows directly to the net so Linux is on the front lines.

nikoPSK
October 11th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Just got back to gutsy!:KS

nikoPSK
October 11th, 2007, 04:23 AM
...and no im not using osx yet but when i get our new imac with leopard ill put ubuntu on it for certain! (mabye even windows...you never know!~:guitar:)

Frak
October 11th, 2007, 04:30 AM
...and no im not using osx yet but when i get our new imac with leopard ill put ubuntu on it for certain! (mabye even windows...you never know!~:guitar:)
http://www.enews.org/blog/_pics/Apple_Microsoft_desktop1.jpg

red baren
October 11th, 2007, 04:39 AM
hey is it true that the new hp's only can run vista :( Im a gamer and nead to us xp. I wont a now computer but if thay all only run vista Ill forget it.

Frak
October 11th, 2007, 04:45 AM
hey is it true that the new hp's only can run vista :( Im a gamer and nead to us xp. I wont a now computer but if thay all only run vista Ill forget it.
Well, I have a new HP. I am running Ubuntu and XP. (Vista is a bad OS for me)

yuku-aki
October 11th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Count me in... I'm 100% Ubuntu now.

I have been all Linux for about 3 years, but now I'm dedicated to a flavor (Until I think I can master slackware).

Last.Karrde
October 11th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Im just about to switch completely over. My brother plays alot of windows games so i could only ever dual boot. But im buying myself a new computer and only putting linux on it.

klange
October 11th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Just removed Windows two days ago. Should have done it a long time ago...
Saved 60gb of space. My Ubuntu partition only ever had 30gb.

ndefontenay
October 11th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Completely switched to ubuntu more than one year ago.

I'm a gamer but I play mmporg which works on Linux and I live without the big games.

It's part of the Linux effort to boycott.

atihimself
October 11th, 2007, 01:18 PM
about a year without any windows doń't miss it, for games I use PS2 or wine

nikoPSK
October 11th, 2007, 03:45 PM
yes, I know. But id put xp on it not that bloated vista. I thought vista would be grea. Then one day I tried it, It sucked:(

Kappity
October 11th, 2007, 04:35 PM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

If you'll concede that Mac OS X is a Linux distribution ;), I've been using linux exclusively for about a year and a half on my own computers.

I just put Ubuntu on an older laptop, and have been playing around with it, that's what I'm using to type this message. Some problems, mostly due to the older hardware, but basically it seems to be working pretty well.

It's not very likely that I'd go back to Windows. If at some point in the future, I need to buy a new computer, and can't afford a Mac, I'd look at getting a new one with Ubuntu or some other user friendly linux distribution.

Fortunately, I'm not a gamer, unless you count chess. There are excellent chess playing and database programs available for Mac and LInux, some of them even free.

smurphy_it
October 11th, 2007, 04:43 PM
The same day I bought my HP Dv2000 series laptop about a year or so ago now. Played with 4 or 5 different distros, until finally settling with Ubuntu.

50words
October 11th, 2007, 05:29 PM

Stikz00
October 11th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Just 20 minutes ago I formatted my NTFS partiton containing Vista. Never again. Ubuntu, Compiz Fusion, AWN and VirtualBox is all I need.

junnuh
October 11th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Hello!

I used to have win98 in my old computer but when I bought a new one the only choice was ubuntu. I am using Dapper64 and I am very pleased to it.

Eventhough some programs won't work I would not change this Ubuntu in Windows.

I am just in love to Ubuntu:guitar:

with love junnuh

GhentK
October 11th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I was thinking about making the switch in the form of dual-boot before last christmas, but I decided against it due to several reasons.

I completely switched from Windows XP to Ubuntu 7.04 on June 4 this year with no prior knowledge of Linux. It was a bit confusing at first, but I don't regret it at all now. :)

flawedprefect
October 12th, 2007, 02:56 AM
I've completely switched to Linux on my home PC - kicked the windows habit - when I found all the alternatives for what I normally used on Windows. When Gutsy comes out in a few days, I'm gonna rip out the Windows partition I've only used cos GRUB's on there for good, and install it exclusively from now on.

Of course, I do have a macbook pro which I use between work and home... does that count? ;)

Eric Lee Elliott
October 12th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Windiz free three weeks. Kind of like clean & sober 3 weeks.

Last week Suse 10.3 surprised me by finding & using my Epson CX7800 printer - scanner. Gone is another reason to run Windiz.
Week before last, Kubuntu began using my Sierra AC875 to access Internet thru ATT. Windiz never did torrents @ sustained 100k bytes per second.
This week I am learning Linux programs to use in place of Delorme Street Atlas with GPS reciever.
Motor home monitor program for Caterpillar C9 & Allison 3000 automatic transmission runs in WINE just fine, so motor home is now Windiz free.

All my reasons to run Windiz are gone in last 30 days.

Bought a new Lenovo Z61m Thinkpad laptop. Fingerprint reader could not train. Every update attempt was a crashed failure. Hourly crashes were normal. Windiz Vista color selections were not usable, could not see what was selected. Battery life was too short. Second Z61m was same as first. Clean install of Kubuntu 7.10 cured all except fingerprint reader.
Two old laptops will go clean installs of Kubuntu next for three reasons. 1, both run cooler in Linux. 2, both sometimes crash with Windiz XP. 3, without Windiz, we need not pay AVG for protection from malware.

padams10001
October 12th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I completely switched from Windows XP to Ubuntu 7.04 on June 4 this year with no prior knowledge of Linux. It was a bit confusing at first, but I don't regret it at all now. :)

Same for me. I spent the first 6 weeks frustrated as i didn't have a net connection at home, so had to try and download stuff at work and the transfer it...pain in the a***. Got the net now and things are looking sweet.

Only bad thing now is that i still have to use windows at work.

davesmith
October 12th, 2007, 12:24 PM
I switched completely to Ubuntu exactly a year ago this month. I've never regretted it, though i still have some problems working with my 15gig astronomy picture database on the Ext3 file system.

However, thats as nothing compared to the wonderfull feeling of freedom I get knowing my machine is completely un-contaminated with microshite code

And i'm looking forward to the Gutsy Gibbon release and a 3D desktop!!

Regards to Mark Shuttlworth and the development team

mmichalik
October 12th, 2007, 05:01 PM
we are a 100% Ubuntu Linux shop. All three servers (and any more that will be set up) and all 4 desktops run Ubuntu exclusively.

We run wine on one of the desktops to facilitate running Quickbooks online edition (which was a major pain to get working but works great now)

We will never switch to windows. Our firewall, DNS, VPN, mail server, web server, databases, OpenOffice (which is equal to ANYTHING in MS-Office) and everything else we need to run our business is all (basically) free and have ZERO licensing issues. Why would you want to pay for something, like windows, that is lousy and cumbersome to begin with.

Ubuntu has been and is a great product and we make donations to the cause(s) every chance we can.

Adler
October 12th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Hi Gamers,

I'm not a Gamer @ all. But, would like to play.

What games are ported to Linux, or get going with WINE?

Adler

slira
October 12th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Hi
I changed to linux in my laptop - the one I use to access internt; I still have the XP there, but never use it...

The desktop has a "special" dual-boot: normally it boots in XP (I'm not the only one who uses the machine...) but I have a external HD that boots linux whenever turned on before booting the machine. The XP in this machine is reasonably stable and NEVER access internt - so it has no antivirus, firewall, etc. on boot.

In my USB pen I have a damn small, that I use in most machines at work (all in windows).
Best
slira

climatewarrior
October 12th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I still have Windows Xp bur Ubuntu is my primary OS. But preety soon im going to rid my computer of the original virus ;). Im just waiting to get some things fixed by dell on my computer. I just dont want them to tell me that they cantgive me support because I dont have the Os they installed.

sstusick
October 12th, 2007, 08:01 PM
[...] OpenOffice (which is equal to ANYTHING in MS-Office) I like Open Office, but the only thing I have a problem with is printing envelopes. OpenOffice will not print any envelopes for me.

sc00ter
October 12th, 2007, 08:19 PM
100% Linux for almost a year now. Only use XP in VirtualBox for cross-browser testing and Photoshop.

No regrets.

elvis
October 12th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I switched completely to Ubuntu exactly a year ago this month. I've never regretted it, though i still have some problems working with my 15gig astronomy picture database on the Ext3 file system.

Try XFS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFS) instead.

It was designed by SGI and is focussed on large filesystems holding large amounts of large files.

ext3 is focussed on more mid-range use, and others like ReiserFS perform well with large numbers of small files. XFS is about the only one designed from the ground up for folks who need high speed but reliable access to lots of large files. It's very popular in multimedia circles (indeed, SGI designed it because nothing else could perform as they and their clients desired).

A client of mine in a small visual effects studio uses XFS on a 2TB partition serving roughly 10 users files approximately 30MB to 500MB in size, and never skips a beat. I'm quite pleased with both the reliability and performance compared to ext3.

troy1of2
October 12th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I don't even have a copy of Windows on anything in the house now.

sstusick
October 13th, 2007, 01:20 AM
I'm in the process of getting my friend to switch to Ubuntu. He plays a lot of solitaire and mahjongg and there are plenty of those games for Linux. But he has a few programs that don't have Linux equivalents or the equivalents aren't really equal (they don't run so well in WINE, if at all) and keeps booting back into Windows to use them. He is tired of Windows and M$ and refuses to give them another dime. Maybe when 7.10 is released we'll try again and see how it goes. Maybe I'll install Virtual Box and teach him how to use that.

Thinking about deleting his Windows partition permanently and he'll have no choice but to boot into Ubuntu :twisted: :biggrin:

nikoPSK
October 13th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Quote by me on my how easy was it for you to switch to linux thread.

Talk about simple! I just bought a centrinos 54 in 1 card reader for my SDs and Compactflash in my camera and I plugged it in shoved my compactflash card in and presto! Gutsy found the card as soon as I popped it in and asked my if I wanted to add it to my album. (For Xp it required drivers!!!)

Gotta love the TUX!

Easy peasy pumpkin... whatever.:lolflag:

GhentK
October 15th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Only bad thing now is that i still have to use windows at work. It always sucks when working habits are forced upon you, doesn't it. :\

syczu
October 15th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I moved to ubuntu, because I wanted to stop playing games and wasting time. I wanted to try something different, to learn something and here I am. No windows I can say. I have ubuntu short time and I'm really happy.

vikasmk
October 15th, 2007, 05:06 PM
the only reason i use xp is cos i use photo shop , turbo assembler and age of empires,
i am totally new to Linux so i feel a bit strange to switch to Linux all toghether.
so keeping xp with dual boot. but i surf the net only in Ubuntu because i'm afraid my system is gonna get affected by some malware or something.

StewartM
October 15th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I use WIndows on the job (XP and soon to use Vista in a few months) but since I bought my first Linux Box from Dell, I've come to hate the Windows computers at my job.

So color me 100 % Ubuntu for now. :guitar:

The only way I might change would be to a different flavor of Linux, but as long as Team Ubuntu keeps up the good work, I don't see that happening.

Stewart

arashiko28
October 15th, 2007, 11:10 PM
hmmm... I don't remember anymore... about 4-5 months... 7.04 was pretty new... but i still can't find an answer to my two mayor things that attaches me to windows, my cell phone and my Pocket PC, no one have the answer of how to successfully install the programs and drivers, specially for the Pocket PC, is a Toshiba PPC E330. If I could find how to install linux on the PPC it would be wonderful, then I would be trully windows free!!!

NightCrawler03X
October 15th, 2007, 11:21 PM
I've been using GNU/Linux for year now.

Ever since Windows Me, I decided to ditch Microsoft, for good.

drbob07
October 15th, 2007, 11:23 PM
I completely switched to Linux on my school laptop. Whereas, I only run Linux when I'm not gaming on my gaming PC :)

cobolt01
October 16th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I have never used windows XP. Seeing screenshots on the net, it looks awful! (So ugly and tacky that it seems to hold your attention - like not being able to look away from a mother scolding her children.)

I used to have win98 but I got rid of that in 2002. I first started with mandrake and it made me want to vomit. Debian Woody was released and I installed that. Six months later, it was the only OS on my copmuters.

When someone asks me to install linux on their computer, I instal Ubuntu because I am sick and tired of aswering everyone's questions. Ubuntu just works - or requires only minimal tweaking.

I can't say anything about dvd or video playing since I do not use my computer for that.

The thought of someone who is native to Linux is heart touching:cry: and good :)

Timemaster
October 17th, 2007, 12:24 AM
I agree with you. :) the only reason I have :evil:Windows:evil: in my house is because I need to be able to play games
This is my site:www.freewebs.com/ourubuntu/ please visit my site.:)

theorganloft
October 17th, 2007, 02:24 PM
I loaded Gutsy last night and all I can say is WOW!!.

Good Bye Windows, games or no games. Ubuntu and Linux is going to catch them in the game arena too. Especially when the game developers start creating custom distros just for their games! HINT HINT DEVELOPERS! NO RESTRICTIONS!!! JUST BOOT IT UP AND GO!!

troy1of2
October 17th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I completely switched to Linux around July of last year. Been lovin' it ever since!
:guitar:

Retrograde77
October 17th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Have been using linux only as a sort of hobby since the days you had to know the heads and sectors of your HD to partition it lol.
Also been saying for years that I would like to use linux as main OS but has mainly only been just talk.

bout 3 weeks ago my XP install had developed this god awful stutter that I could not cure, drove me nuts. (to xp's credit had been installed for a hell of a long time) so I decided that I needed a re-install.
Then from out of nowhere I decided, RIGHT this is it, I am going to see if I can use Linux as my main OS.
(have had fiesty and then gutsy on my laptop for longggg time so not going in completely cold)

Has been 3 weeks now and am loving it :) (gutsy rox) even started doing all of my web coding in here now (Bluefish). Pretty much everything works superb, even my W900I phone, which I stick into file transfer mode.

Unfortunately still have a small xp partition for games and Photoshop (CANNOT live without it, though gimps good for small things)
Have also used vista recently and can't stand it. Can say for sure what it is (bar from the crap games performance) I just use it for say 30 mins and cant wait to get the hell out.

Oh and also big thanks to these forums, been a serious help. :)

Tom Mann
October 17th, 2007, 04:10 PM
2 days - I've finally moved the Recording Studio setup over to Linux, though still sitting on the fence over Jacklab/UbuntuStudio, though both need a little work to get it where I want it, both are relatively easy to fix. UbuntuStudio has the edge as my other partition has Kubuntu installed (roll on tomorrow!)

smurtguy
October 17th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I still use windows for gaming and for when networking stops working yet again and again and again...

Until some of these thing actually work out of the box for more than just finely tuned system, windows is a necessity.

When you have limited time to work on something (game/study/work) the last thing you want to do have to re-diagnose why something is not working, something that was fixed last time and the time before and so on and something that completely prevents you from accomplishing whatever it is you need to do. Unfortunately that is what linux all too often does.

Its too bad so much effort in linux dev is duplicated. See kde/gnome/xfce or Redhat/Suse/ubuntu/debian/...
There might be enough manpower to really refine linux to the point of noob-user/jaded-sysad user level stability.

btw I say linux, but often times it probably is more correctly the distro or package group that is the problem.

scorpio_digit
October 17th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Like some of the other people on here, I still use XP for games. I have been using Feisty and I love it. Several years ago I tried using Slackware, but it turned out to be to much at the time. I really like the community on this forum and the support they provide.

Eudaimonia
October 17th, 2007, 10:41 PM
I've finally made the switch completely. Windows (WGA) finally caught up with me... As far as gaming goes, I can still run Steam apparently, and it doesn't kill me to play less games. Have tried Mandrake and Kubuntu before, but didn't have my heart in it. Now I don't have a choice and I principally support the linux community. This is my chance to be a part of it!:guitar:

CaptainTux
October 17th, 2007, 10:47 PM
I gave up on Windows in 1997 and went all Mac. I started using Linux in 2001 as a dabbler..started using Linux and Mac equally by 2004 and was all Linux in 2005. Have been ever since.

integr8e
October 18th, 2007, 06:21 AM
I've made the switch and have not missed XP one bit; relatively new to the Linux world (just switched a little more than 2 months ago), I've been very impressed with what I've learned. I run Kubuntu on my system, and have found it to be much more suited to my tastes than any version of M$ has ever been. I LOVE IT!!!

bwallum
October 18th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Well, online shoot 'em up games are the new mush TV in my opinion but I do like puzzle type games of which there are plenty on Ubuntu.

Everything else is much better on Ubuntu, dramatically underlined with the Gutsy release. Except for one small thing. I have some legacy database apps based on MS Access. I use a Windows box just for these. Every time I boot it up I groan, no end of security updates (Defender, Antivirus, Spybot etc) before I get to do anything. I know I have made the right choice and also know that MS have peaked. I will be porting the Access apps as soon as I can find the time.

Time invested in Ubuntu is time well placed for the future. Gutsy is the best release to date and now is a very good time to get on board.

Regards
Bob

Vansinnesvisan
October 18th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I started using Linux in 2001 with Redhat. Switched to Linux with Ubuntu 6.10 as full-time OS.

Looking back now, I waited too long to make the switch.

drimsun
October 18th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I recently bought one of those "ready for vista" notebooks (big mistake!) and started to hate vista with passion after the first couple of sessions.

Then I tried to replace it with XP but unfortunately there are almost no working XP drivers to be found (not even for the NVidia GPU!).

As a last resort I installed Ubuntu and to my surprise everything worked flawlessly (after a manual install of NVidia drivers)!

Ubuntu feels vastly superior to Windows in almost every aspect, not to mention its open-source and community spirit which appeals a lot to me. I'm just keeping a virtual machine XP around for the occasional photoshopping and gaming.

Downloading 7.10 right now :guitar:

zakeen
October 18th, 2007, 01:46 PM
I would have only linux, but I cant get one app to work using both wine and crossover. ok I lie, the app works perfectly but I cant get the USB - serial to work, that I need for this app. So I must keep vista on my machine....for one app!

andrewyoungisgreat
October 18th, 2007, 01:53 PM
I still use Windows 2000, I booted it again last night the first time for about two weeks ago.

I can't find a good MP3 tagger, I've used http://massid3lib.sourceforge.net/ MP3 Tag Tool for several years and can't find anything similar for Ubuntu.

I also use Quark Xpress 6, which is either Windows or Apple. I have now invested in an eMac so I plan to use that with QXP.

I have tried WINE with MP3 Tag Tool and QXP, they both work but have issues. Tag Tools I can't sort the columns and QXP crashes a lot.

Other than that I don't miss MS at all, I use Ubuntu every single day.

Tux Aubrey
October 18th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I installed the Gutsy RC over the Windows partition on my last remaining dual boot machine (at home, that is).

I'm free! I'm free!

Gosh it feels good.

Madmoose
October 18th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I use windows only to play games, so it's just bear bones install. Only what's needed to play the games.

Other that that everything I do is linux

tony.morse
October 18th, 2007, 07:41 PM
The only thing keeping me with a duel boot is talking to my family back in the uk with a webcam on skype. Why oh why can't I use a webcam in skype on linux?? or phone their skype from ekiga or something? there must be a better way round this than xp. Thats it, I'm a relatively new convert but converted I am... bow down to the coffee bar of ubuntu :lolflag:

lyceum
October 18th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I still have a few Macs in my house, but otherwise I am Ubuntu all the way. I have 2 Ubuntu laptops, an Ubuntu desktop and I am turning another PC into an Ubuntu server. The Macs belong to my wife and daughter. My wife is old enough to know better, but my daughter is only 2, so I think she will grow out of it. :)

bwallum
October 18th, 2007, 08:01 PM
You can get Skype for Linux and you can get web cams to work. The best approach is to get Skype and then ask the forums how to set it up. Absolutely Beginners is good for everyone, not just the newbies.

I really like your signature tag!

Rgds
Bob

00ber n00b
October 18th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I'm all linux with my hp laptop. because xp crashed and I lost my disk's, so I've been using linux since

k33bz
October 18th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I had a dual boot on my desktop. Only reason I didnt get rid of XP completly is because of some games. Mainly I use Linux, have been for about 2 yrs. (still a newbie though :( )

But i just got a laptop with a preinstalled Vista OS, Wiped it out and installed Ubuntu right after I laughed at how lame Vista was (2 hrs).

Lord C
October 18th, 2007, 11:32 PM

Linux Gaming FTW :)

I'm Linux all the way now.

sstusick
October 19th, 2007, 01:07 AM
The only thing keeping me with a duel boot is talking to my family back in the uk with a webcam on skype. Why oh why can't I use a webcam in skype on linux?? or phone their skype from ekiga or something? there must be a better way round this than xp. Thats it, I'm a relatively new convert but converted I am... bow down to the coffee bar of ubuntu :lolflag:
You could try running Skype on Windows in Virtual Box http://www.virtualbox.org/

Murrquan
October 19th, 2007, 03:34 AM
A few months ago, I read up about Microsoft's business practices and got so fed up with them that I decided to switch to Linux. No prior experience, no nothing. It was tricky, but a friend helped me out, and for a month or two I used nothing but Linux -- on account of I couldn't figure out how to dual-boot XP with Fedora. I didn't know how to get everything working, but it was clean and elegant, and it did everything that I needed it to.

Right now I'm dual-booting Fedora with XP. Linux does darn near everything. ^.^ It has Firefox. It has Amarok. It has support for my Sony handheld. It runs all my old DOS games, it even runs most of my Windows games. But it doesn't have support for my SiS integrated 3d graphics, and some of my older games it can't run -- like Civ II Test of Time. For the few programs it won't run, I use my XP partition.

My dad's trying to get me to switch from Fedora to Ubuntu. I may give Gutsy a shot when the ShipIt CDs get here ...

Darth Arturito
October 19th, 2007, 10:17 AM
I have 4 computers at home. One is a server running Debian, others are laptop - running Kubuntu (with sweet Beryl), dedicated media server on Ubuntu with MythTV and Microsoft MCE remote control and my main PC also running Ubuntu with dual view and 5.1 audio.

Gaming:
Well I'm quite lucky because I stick to two games only : Quake 3 Arena (bought Linux version) and Starcraft which works using wine.

I also acquired Crossover Office, which runs Adobe Photoshop 7.0 , Flash CS. I do like Gimp but it is still behind Photoshop.

I also installed Kubuntu at workplace (configured evolution to connect to Exchange server) and using Crossover Office I managed to get Crestron Simpl working (which is extensively used in the company). ...So .... I guess the only thing that I'm using Windows for is doing some stuff in C# using Visual Studio.NET.

Windows is a virus but even in real life we do get infected from time to time. ;)

Druke
October 19th, 2007, 10:21 AM
You could try running Skype on Windows in Virtual Box http://www.virtualbox.org/

http://www.openwengo.org/ works great!!! and OSS

fleet
October 19th, 2007, 10:46 AM
I still use XP for the simple reason that Linux does not support a good Web Development tool. Have tried Screem, and currently struggling to install Nvu to try it. Not only this but the LAMP installation can be tricky and so all in all it is not that 'Web Developer' friendly which has always surprised me.

peterbakker
October 19th, 2007, 11:33 AM
I have a dualboot XP and Ubuntu 7.10

For some useful windows programs, i can't find a satisfying linux replacement:
I use windows XP for burning and/or decoding cd's & dvd's, for i prefer working with Nero than Gnomebaker.
I use XP for editing of viewing photo's for there are many photo editing programs i just can't seem to work with.
Some movies i view on my TV i have to do in XP because my TV-Out won't work in Ubuntu (or say: can't get it to work without spending days of trying) Also some movies can't be played back (though i have all codecs etc)
i use XP because the whole %& world uses XP and therefore you just can't do without, how much i would want to. So MSOffice documents i have to read in XP (i found out that lay out compatibility is sometimes a problem in OpenOffice)

i do not use XP most of the time, because of the ugly looks...

I use Ubuntu for daily use, though. Reading mail, office, downloading (P2P, Torrent)
Ubuntu looks great and works great, but not 100% for me...;)

Coombabah
October 19th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I still use XP for the simple reason that Linux does not support a good Web Development tool. Have tried Screem, and currently struggling to install Nvu to try it. Not only this but the LAMP installation can be tricky and so all in all it is not that 'Web Developer' friendly which has always surprised me.

Although I use gnome I have installed and used quanta for web development, mostly php, kdesvn for subversion and sshfs allows editing of files on the dev webserver directly with quanta.
To quickly get php and mysql going you can just check the appropriate boxes in synaptic. Getting Oracle going involves adding the Oracle repository and adding the client and server packages if you need both and a bit of config file editing that is much the same in windows.

The other developers I work with mainly use XP, dreamweaver, apache, php, Oracle client, tortoisesvn for subversion and winscp for file transfers to the server.
I'd find it hard going back to webdevelopment on Windows as is would be a lot slower and not quite the same testing environment.
Windows also tends to cause problems related to case sensitivity of file names resulting in code that breaks when uploaded to the production servers.

I do a lot of database and php coding. If you are just doing WYSIWYG editing the Dreamweaver may be more appropriate.

I haven't tried screem but I found NVU had some of the same problems I had with earlier versions of Dreamweaver when editing php code.

Druke
October 19th, 2007, 03:47 PM

screem is likely one of the worst webpage editors(although its one of the newest, so its not bad, just not old) with nvu right after it IMO. If you want a 'powerful' editor use quanta plus and/or Aptana

Frak
October 19th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Use Quanta, Aptana, Bluefish, or Nvu. They do all I need.

samuraiCat
October 19th, 2007, 03:52 PM

I will refer you to a post downstream: VirtualBox Seamless Windows

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=577897

ellis rowell
October 20th, 2007, 10:11 AM
I
So MSOffice documents i have to read in XP (i found out that lay out compatibility is sometimes a problem in OpenOffice)

I run the website for an organisation and I recommend all our members to circulate documents in .pdf form, then everyone can read them as they were originally intended not as Micro soft-in-the-head wants you to read them.

bluedragon436
October 20th, 2007, 10:19 AM
I still have XP on my desktop, although I use my laptop with 7.10 installed on it more often then not, and the only thing I really find myself using my desktop (and Windows XP) for is gaming every now and then...

Lostincyberspace
October 20th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I have completely switched over to linux at least for the time being i still have a small partition for windows if i have to install

r.a.yarg
October 20th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Ubuntu all the way - first time user and I am completely committed to Ubuntu. The Evil of all that is Windows and its Unholy Spawn disgusts me.
Best, R.A.

Super Nade
October 20th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I can never fully switch to Linux because aprat from the Electrical CAD stuff I do, I game, overclock and benchmark. However, my X41 is all Ubuntu and for any non-gaming/benching activity, I use Gutsy on my Desktop.

You guys have done a fantastic job with this release.

Cheers,

S-N from OCForums.com

pieisgood4589
October 20th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I myself have, simply because I hate how Bill Gates is trying to steal all of out money...:lolflag:

Dyus36
October 20th, 2007, 09:52 PM
I switched completely around the time Edgy was turing to Feisty, i was a little out of the loop and ran Edgy for about 2 months b4 i even heard of Feisty.
By the time i got around to switiching to Feisty i had figured out Wine, i havent looked back since. Happily running Gutsy as of the beta release :)

liberum
October 20th, 2007, 10:37 PM
total switch at home. turbotax and the kids games i run thru wine... autocad is a nightmare but thats a work problem... love linux... its been 1 year since my conversion :)

mike^_^
October 20th, 2007, 10:45 PM
i use linux only and wouldnt have it any other way, although i may aquire a copy of server 2003 when i start my classes for the MSCE cert ( i'm taking the RHCE too :p)

nikoPSK
October 21st, 2007, 01:23 AM
wow, the urge to dual boot with windows was upon me on the 18th. I always back up my data then do a clean install - no mater what os. I wanted to dual boot but I held the urge back:)

cappii
October 21st, 2007, 01:31 AM
I completely switched all 4 of my home computers, and an office computer to Ubuntu. I even run it on my PowerBook through an emulation proggy. Mind you, MAC OS X is still the main OS on that book, but, It's cool to have Ubuntu on it :) .
The only thing I miss is playing San Andreas :( . Poor CJ... I can see him still standing inside the Johnson's house waiting on me to go buy some more snazzy clothes and mod a few more cars :( .

Beyond that... I love Ubuntu. It is the best Linux Distro that I have used, and as said earlier, M$ is at it's peak, and they will soon be going the way of OS/2. :guitar:

maluka
October 21st, 2007, 01:48 AM
my macbook pro dual boots with osx for video editing and skype video chats. my daughter's laptop is running feisty dual booted with vista for her educational software that only runs on windows.

peatrap
October 21st, 2007, 03:11 AM
I get xp down from the shelf once a month plug it in and update turn it off and put it up. Ubuntu convert all the way.
:)

tropcky
October 21st, 2007, 03:14 AM
will i did that but i still using win xp some tims in virtual box

sstusick
October 21st, 2007, 04:03 AM
I get xp down from the shelf once a month plug it in and update turn it off and put it up. Ubuntu convert all the way.
:)
Why update it if you don't use it? lol

loco cerveza
October 21st, 2007, 05:35 AM
The only reason that I go back in to windows is to update my iPod. If I could get DL.TV, Textra, and a few other podcasts on my iPod with out iTunes I would.

agntsmyth
October 21st, 2007, 06:59 AM
I know this totally defines how much of a newb I am but I dual boot so i have a "stable" os to rely on.

I use ubuntu, I tried suse but i just hate rpm's, but its only on about 30 gigs and then the rest of my hd is windows.

with ntfs3g I dont have to worry about conflicts between filing systems or storing anything. I just put all my schoolwork, pictures, and music on the windows partition and access it from ubuntu. with this method i can always push the proverbial reset button if i screw things up in my endless tinkering.

the dual boot works best for me because if i tried to go all linux my lack of experience would have me lighting my own shoes on fire very quickly. If you know what I mean.

PS I still like some of the things (aka games, im addicted to portal) windows provides but everyday they are a little less appetizing.

hamster_billy
October 21st, 2007, 08:06 AM
I can't! There are things I need for work which need Windows (or Mac). ChemDraw and SciFinder aren't stable on Wine, so I generally run them in a virtual machine, though have Windows set up for dual boot too. The virtual machine gets used a lot; the Windows boot very rarely.

A couple of other things I've failed to get working satisfactorily on Ubuntu, which mean I won't give up on Windows:

Audible: Can't even download files from Audible on Linux as they use their daft download manager thing. They have direct links set up somewhere, which you get to if the download manager breaks, but I can't find them otherwise. Anyone know how?

GPS: I have a Garmin Forerunner 205. Although it's possible to download data and convert it into different formats, I haven't found a program which will store it in an accessible and useful way. On Windows I use SportTracks.

Overall I've been very happy with Ubuntu, and it's certainly my main os now, but I think Windows is staying.

SomethinSnappy
October 21st, 2007, 10:28 AM
Linux has a pretty steep learning curve if you're coming over from windows. I may switch over in time, but until I'm more productive in Linux I have one computer that will stay loaded with windows.

There are times when I just need to accomplish something for work and not spend time ---> ](*,) because I'm a newbie and sudo'd something I shouldn't have :neutral:

rico2k_uk
October 21st, 2007, 10:50 AM
i am a total newbie to linux - its was the original redhat that i last used about 12 years ago! :D

thougth might as well jsut do it - so have completely moved over to ubuntu. well windows vista is on another harddrive ready for dual boot, but i have yet to use it!

just need to fix the damn mouse buttons, volume control and figure out why i get wierd artifacting with my graphics card on the desktop!

ugm6hr
October 21st, 2007, 10:57 AM
Full-time Fiesty user. Planning to investigate Gusty soon.

But still need XP to Sync with my Windows Mobile 5 PDA :( And Access for the database sync.

Would love to get a Linux PDA, but need WM5 for most medical apps.

betrion
October 21st, 2007, 05:12 PM
Im was very experienced xp user when i was switching to ubuntu and it did take me some time to work out everything even though their moto is linux for human beings. First painful partitioning(lost all information in the process), then painful ATI drivers installing (took me 4 fresh ubuntu installs to get it right) then getting xgl/compiz fusion to work...Very painful start but today after 1month i think it was worth it, i never looked back to xp even though i have it as dualboot.

bill45
October 21st, 2007, 05:33 PM
Linux is part of Simplify My Life Project.

Still use WinXP for certain functions not available (that I know of ) in Linux. Still need scheduler auto stream-radio-WEBcast recorder. Oddly enough I like WinXP but dislike Windows avaricious philosophy of money pumping and lack of sense of craftsmanship and DRM delusions. Linux is comparitively maintenance free.

3 boxs one in transition (maybe Linux#2) one Ubuntu and One XP.

moshuptrail
October 21st, 2007, 06:08 PM
18 months - 99% Ubuntu

Programs that require Windoze:
TurboTax (once a year)
scanning with an HP3500c flatbed (hardware is not supported)
scanning multiple pictures from a single scan (specialized program required)
I haven't come across specialized screen capture programs like Snagit, or Hypersnap (used for documentation of procedures at work, but I have Windoze there)

I wish Irfan would rewrite Irfan Viewer for Linux. I loved that program. It is about the best "simple" picture viewer/editor I've ever come across. Gimp can do those things but is really a much more sophisticated program and IMHO more difficult to use.

joe.turion64x2
October 22nd, 2007, 01:34 AM
I can proudly announce that I have completely switched to Linux. All of my stuff can be done in Linux now: email & organizer (Evolution), internet (Firefox), office (OpenOffice.org), image editing (GIMP), music management (Rythmbox), video & DVD playback (Xine), mathematical calculations (Octave, Scilab), scientific typesetting (Kile), instant messaging (Pidgin).

I can't think about any particular action (aside from updating the antivirus) I can only do in Windows, in fact I find the tiny Windows my laptop still has with the same programs (when available) I have in Windows: Firefox, Scilab, GIMP, OpenOffice.org; I also found a nice player called Songbird. But the fact it does not have several virtual desktops, is insecure, and does not recognize my Reiser external HD makes it loose.

Thanks.
Joe.

Adler
October 22nd, 2007, 01:37 AM
Hi All,

I do love all this Linux goodness.

How can you keep people away?

Adler

Lostincyberspace
October 22nd, 2007, 07:00 AM
The only reason that I go back in to windows is to update my iPod. If I could get DL.TV, Textra, and a few other podcasts on my iPod with out iTunes I would.

I know you can download DL.TV from the site and then use amarok to put it on i dont know about any others though

stomponthis
October 22nd, 2007, 08:46 AM
Hmmmm
I am no longer dual booting! I am running vmware with XP, and cranking the gusty!
So I am a virtual windows user only...
Reasons:
pokerroom.com (tried under wine but to no avail....)
dreamweaver package & fireworks & flash (shoot me, but i do use code view!)
games - but not really now that I its virtual,

why I use ubuntu:
less hassles on the whole
find it more fun
no windows stupid nonsense, mcse of microsoft best practises

goodtimes

Nunu
October 22nd, 2007, 08:58 AM
only use MS at work cause its company policy... i tried to get my work PC on linux but alas no such luck

Johnsie
October 22nd, 2007, 09:08 AM
I still use Windows for TVU , instant messaging and video conferencing. Gaim/kopete doesn't quite cut it for me and SteekyTV doesn't have enough premium channels.

liberum
October 22nd, 2007, 12:57 PM
edgy/feisty on all the machines at home
work have to have XP for AutoCAD, but not be outdone I still have a second linux box under my desk that I vnc into so I can say I have linux at work :)

PartisanEntity
October 22nd, 2007, 01:00 PM
I installed Ubuntu 7.10 last night and used the opportunity to kill off the XP partition. Feels good :)

BigSilly
October 22nd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Me too, finally! I've just used Ubuntu 7.10 to remove Windows XP, and I have Mandriva 2008 on my other partition. It certainly does feel good. :)

:guitar:

rock freak
October 22nd, 2007, 02:14 PM
dreamweaver package & fireworks & flash (shoot me, but i do use code view!)

Shoots you they work under wine.... as does Photoshop CS2 ;) albeit you have to refresh the menus every so often but i can live with that!!

sveden
October 22nd, 2007, 02:43 PM
I switched completely 3 months ago. Before I switched I was only using windows for DVD shrink. But after discovering how to configure K9Copy I can safely make backups of my dvds in Kubunutu.

Struggled through the 7.10 upgrade and I have to say I'm loving Dolphin way more than Konqueror.

Pierre Lourens
October 22nd, 2007, 03:52 PM
I completely erased my Macbook's internal hard drive two days ago. I love running exclusive Ubuntu so far; Ubuntu makes me feel in control of my system.

maxxym
October 22nd, 2007, 08:54 PM
Well... I decided to check out Linux last week, so I installed Kubuntu....

Wehn 7.10 came out, I installed it and completely got rid of Windows.

I love it so far! It's been great experience for me.

I have it installed on my work's laptop as well...and managed to get Office 2003 installed too :) so I can do whatever I need to do.

Not planning on switching to Windows ever again.

mnml
October 22nd, 2007, 09:06 PM
I only use debian and ubuntu, I have finaly destroyed OsX and Windows from my hard-drives.

David Oxland
October 22nd, 2007, 10:10 PM
I've been Ubuntu only for more than a year.
Running on desk and laptop
MS discs all in the garbage

sam-c
October 23rd, 2007, 12:08 PM

In the middle of the Night I deleted Windows 98 as it was stuck in any way and Now I am Dual Booting Mandriva LE 2005 and Ubuntu, I got Keir Thomas Book
Beginning Ubuntu Linux
thru amazon with a CD (not DVD). The Book is very User Friendly.

Watch out for me on the Forum
Uncle Sam

Nedux
October 23rd, 2007, 12:39 PM
hi there `, i`m about to get rid of windows for ever, but there are few things that stops me do that.
first one `. I need to install PS cs2, Dw cs2, and illustrator cs2 on Ubuntu, and second problem will be that , when I used the live ubuntu cd, (my first contact with linux) I could`nt chage the refresh rate for my monitor, i need to use 1600x1200 and 60hz refresh rate, ubuntu sets auto 1600x1200 with 75hz, but I think this can be fix.

Please guys , help me with this issues, I don`t want windows any more.
soon I will start to hate computers if I will use windows.

n3tfury
October 23rd, 2007, 01:23 PM
hi there `, i`m about to get rid of windows for ever, but there are few things that stops me do that.
first one `. I need to install PS cs2, Dw cs2, and illustrator cs2 on Ubuntu, and second problem will be that , when I used the live ubuntu cd, (my first contact with linux) I could`nt chage the refresh rate for my monitor, i need to use 1600x1200 and 60hz refresh rate, ubuntu sets auto 1600x1200 with 75hz, but I think this can be fix.

Please guys , help me with this issues, I don`t want windows any more.
soon I will start to hate computers if I will use windows.

you'll get an answer faster in the absolute beginners forum.

b1mmer
October 23rd, 2007, 04:19 PM
switched to ubuntu (no alt windows boot) at work when 7.04 came out.

huggy77
October 23rd, 2007, 05:46 PM
my laptop is a macbook pro which i would never trade - i love it...

i converted all our servers in our office to ubuntu server - LOVE THEM TOO

I have a big dual core 64 bit workstation in my office - i am running GUTSY ON IT...

i would love to get TOTAL WAR: medieval running on there... When i can easily run my TOTAL WAR simulatioins on my linux box i will be a very happy camp....

ic00
October 23rd, 2007, 06:05 PM
I love my Gutsy with desktop effects setup. I think it's better than OS X. What keep me in xp are sound/video editing, photoshop (haven't get along with gimp yet), and stupid work related programs (travel reimbursement, timesheet, etc).

jack handy
October 23rd, 2007, 09:11 PM
when i saw that my wireless card was finally working under 7.10, i switched over completely.

the only two windows-only programs that i used are Pokerstars and uTorrent and they work fine with Wine, so no real sacrifices needed.

i'm really happy with my new OS. thank you to the entire ubuntu community

jezjones
October 23rd, 2007, 09:17 PM
Ubuntu and Debian dual boot on my laptop to support all 64 of my bits...

But.. i have an xbox360 (elite) for games... this stops the "i need windows for games" but it makes me feel dirty :-(

yit
October 24th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Still dual boot XP for these programs:

Sony ACID Pro 6.0
Native Instruments synthesizers
Language Proof and Logic Software package (Tarski's World, etc)
Rosetta Stone language learning software
Windows media center

...ok that last one was a joke

Pierre Lourens
October 24th, 2007, 04:59 AM
...ok that last one was a joke

Do you mean to say you aren't absolutely in love with the completely unbloated Windows Media Center software? -gasp-!

gantengx
October 24th, 2007, 05:12 AM
i've been using kubuntu since 7.04 and love it.

but i still have my xp as dual boot mainly because i play games and i bought my photoshop cs2, i want to use adobe bridge as well.

And i hate to say this but microsoft office run way faster than openoffice :(

e^(i*pi)
October 24th, 2007, 06:07 AM
I still have XP on my laptop, but for only one reason, and that is school. I am a CS major and my university requires MS products for several classes. For instance, this semester we are using Visual C++ .Net in my data structures class and Microsoft Assembler in my Computer Structures class. Whenever I'm not using those though it's all Linux all the time.

teknorah
October 24th, 2007, 07:42 AM

I have heard of quake being ported to linux with many custom open source maps, etc. What can't you play on Linux, even through wine? I play WoW in wine just fine.

animeh
October 24th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I have multi-boot windows xp pro and Ubuntu, But the one system that keeps me alive is Ubuntu so I want to say linux is the way to go. slowly I am fazing out windows. my thoughts are going completly to ubuntu. but there are program that I have that run on windows and can;t find them for ubuntu.

Pierre Lourens
October 24th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I have multi-boot windows xp pro and Ubuntu, But the one system that keeps me alive is Ubuntu so I want to say linux is the way to go. slowly I am fazing out windows. my thoughts are going completly to ubuntu. but there are program that I have that run on windows and can;t find them for ubuntu.

What programs? We may be able to suggest alternative solutions.

Cheers.

theorganloft
October 24th, 2007, 06:42 PM
I miss Norton Antivirus!! :( JUST KIDDING! I DON'T MISS IT AT ALL!

Isn't it funny how PC-DOS, MS-DOS, CPM, IBM-DOS etc was pirated from UNIX and now Unix is taking it all back? You Youngins don't know bout them!

I liked Linux from the beginning. People thought it was a fad!:lolflag:

GO UBUNTU!!

):P

alcatraz678
October 24th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I just installed it today. I'm not a gamer, I just use computer for my job.
So far, I find it superb to Vista. I think I'll stick to it

froy02
October 24th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I am 80% linux user now even though I've only installed Ubuntu two weeks ago on both my desktips. I have been using PC's ever since DOS, win98, winXP and win vista. They are hyped to do better things but I could go back and install win98 and still be able to do what i do with my computers that have XP and vista. Both my desktops are now using Ubuntu (still dual boot with XP and Vista on the other). My hard drives are removable so I could just remove the one installed, plug in another drive and experiment with another OS.

Next is my laptop but it is a pain in the neck to exchange hard drives. I do not want to dual vista and Ubuntu on the same drive yet. I have run in in cd mode and it seem to okay.

I am 80% convert...

iain010100
October 24th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I have an XP machine that I use for music production. But for everything else, it's now Ubuntu. So I haven't completely switched.

It's only been since Sunday, 10/21/07 that I made the switch, but I'm committed to having one of my two computers 100% Linux.

My "office" PC's hard drive died, which had unsupported Windows 2000, and I decided I didn't want to pay for another version of XP or Vista, never mind all the new hardware required to support Vista.

TheAL76
October 24th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Aside from work, I'm 100% Ubuntu right now. For work, I have a Win XP virtual machine in VMWare, and Win 2K on my work computer.

Everything else, though, is all Ubuntu. I've gotten GTA San Andreas to work using WINE; openOffice is great, Gimp is pretty solid. I was already using Firefox and Pidgin when I was a Windows user.

truti
October 24th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Hello everybody :)
Another ubuntu user (since yesterday) Im not going back to xp.
:KS

Lord Landis
October 24th, 2007, 09:28 PM
I can't say that I've switched completely, but I'm 66% of the way there. I use Ubuntu (well, Kubuntu) on my primary workstation and my laptop, but I use Win XP on my media center (chiefly because I also use it to run Morrowind and my old emulators). If I had the time to work out all the specific configurations I'd need for WINE to run every emulator, plus Morrowind & Oblivion, I'd probably dump Windows entirely.

I love linux. It's forced me to learn things about my computer that I didn't know, and it's made me re-learn how to do other things and changed how I think about things. Most people would probably consider this a 'bad thing', but since I love to learn, it's been heaven.

Plus, there's great forums like this one, where if you don't know what to do or how to do it, you can ALWAYS find at least three or four people who can help. Then again, I've been using Ubuntu for a little over a year-and-a-half, and I find myself answering the very same questions that I used to ask.

Even my wife, who is completely computer-naieve, has taken to it like a duck to water. Sure, she doesn't install programs, and she wouldn't know how to troubleshoot a buggy X config, but she can use the apps that are there to do what she wants, and that makes her happy.

crusty_collins
October 24th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I just switched from Windows to ubuntu 7.04 at work! I even got evolution to work (somewhat) with Exchange. I am LOVING life !

Bruce M.
October 25th, 2007, 12:55 AM
As far as "using" my desktop is concerned, it's 100% Ubuntu for about the past month now.
After the big W2K crash of 07/07, I re-installed it along with a firewall and anti-virus program (COMODO & AVG - freeware) and used it to overcome my fear of, and downloaded, that unknown OS: Linux. Installed Ubuntu 6.10 and had problems of my own making. I let my fingers do the walking on the keyboard with a windows-mindset in Linux. A definate NO-NO!! But hey, since I had lost "some of my stuff" that wan't backed up I had room to play and discover.
So after a few more re-installs of W2K and Ubuntu, here I am.
W2K has 10G of space and 1% usage, and Ubuntu (7.04 = I upgraded) 110G and 99% usage.
The only reason W2K is here: My ISP doesn't support Linux.
I'm not a programmer, I don't burn music CDs, or DVD movies. Firefox does what I need most: Online banking, GnuCash looks after that too. Thunderbird allows me to get pictures of my grandson and kids. I finally got TextPad working (font problems) in wine because I can't find a text editor that does "block - cut/paste" like it does, so I can edit PS2 walkthroughs (I don't use the computer for games) and jPilot looks after my Palm.
Other than that, I'm finding I'm exploring and playing a lot more with Ubuntu then I did with that other OS. Oh and another PLUS for Ubuntu: My tired old PIII computer is a lot faster too!
Have a nice day Ubuntuland!

dryder
October 25th, 2007, 01:33 AM
From the 225 or so pages I don't know if this has been said before .

I would dearly love to make the complete switch.

I can not. I hate Windows and I hate dual booting.

But...

I'm running Feisty and got my Canon LBP3000 printer working well. Now I read that in Gutsy a lot of printers that worked OK previously don't work in Gutsy. I have read that the method for installing mine does not work in Gutsy. I can't print on CD's on my 'compatible' Epson R210 printer.

My scanner has never worked - replace that - but with what?

Before I get flamed I realise that drivers are often not supplied by manufacturers. I realise there are a lot of different printers, scanners etc. But there are posts of 'compatible' hardware not working.

The fax software is appalling. Even NTFax (I hate to say this) is far superior. Put an NTFax lookalike in Ubuntu - why not? The chip drivers are not that many. OK, I admit my attempts in getting HylaFax working failed but something less 'sophisticated or complicated' is needed. Efax is not as good as NTFax and the modem drivers are not the best. Too many failures in Ubuntu against virtually none in NTFax.

Software: OK, I bought it for Windows so why wouldn't I buy it for Linux? (Dragon Naturally Speaking, Photoshop CS, Garmin et al) Because it is not made for Linux. Why? Presumably because the commercial profitability is not there.

Too many bugs remain uncorrected from release to release - why? To satisfy the hunger for the latest release syndrome?

So which comes first - the horse or the cart?

Until Linux is sold installed in boxes like Windows the commercial incentive will be difficult to get. Catch 22 - in truth, IMHO anybody running a business will need some things only available in Windows.

No offence to Linux at all - I love it - and hate turning to Windows for anything.

I would be interested in knowing where I am wrong in the above - seriously. It will help me.

Also, do the iso's, say for Gutsy, get updated as bugs are corrected throughout Gutsy's LTS life?

David
Linux addict allergic to Windows

Adler
October 25th, 2007, 01:36 AM
I finally got TextPad working (font problems) in wine because I can't find a text editor that does "block - cut/paste" like it does

Bruce M.,

Have tried the native Linux Text Editors @ http://www.panix.com/~elflord/linux/editors/index.html? They might help.

Put an NTFax lookalike in Ubuntu - why not?

dryder,

I don't fax any more, but have been always looking for this also!

Adler

Bruce M.
October 25th, 2007, 02:53 AM
Bruce M.,

Have tried the native Linux Text Editors @ http://www.panix.com/~elflord/linux/editors/index.html? They might help.

Tried them all from there.
I still have GVim (with Cream) and Emacs ... I'm told they can do what I want ... but it's easier to fly the shuttle to the space station. Remember ... I'm new, it will come with time. :)

Adler
October 25th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Remember ... I'm new, it will come with time.

Bruce M.,

OK, it is all new to me also after setting up Web Sites, Blogs, and running scared with new Linux distributions.

As I used to say in the SuSe Forums - All Good Clean Fun!

Adler

jflaker
October 25th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Bought a new Dell 3Ghz HT with Vista........vista takes about 3 minutes from power to login and another 3 minutes after login before I can actually do something. This time has been creeping up so I dove into the Ubuntu Pool and I hope I need not go back!

Ubuntu takes about 6.7GB where windows and Office took about 20-25GB......and I have only 384MB of my 1GB RAM being used.

hMmm........looks like I am here to stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!