PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Circus-Killer
July 28th, 2006, 08:49 AM
personally, i havent completely made the switch. like most others, i keep windows around just for my games, but even then i hardly actually boot windows to play those games. usually too lazy for the reboot. if i could get rome:total war, all the splinter cell games, and gunbound to work in linux, i would switch completely. i hate having to dual-boot. i hate having to have windows. i hate it! if anyone knows of ways to get these games running in linux, let me know. im thinking of trying cedega, but i dont know if its worth paying for something that "might" work. anyways, i read in this thread some people still having issues with dvd, mp3 and all that. just google easyubuntu. anyways, im out.
lATERS.

Ephemeriis
July 29th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Looks like I'm still stuck running Windows for now...

I tried to make the switch about two weeks ago, but it just isn't working as well as I'd like. For anything productive, Ubuntu is terrific. I have no trouble getting any kind of work or surfing done - it works fine. My problem is my games.

I play WoW, which works, but not terribly well. I've got some kind of stability issue that can apparently be resolved by using NvAGP...but it looks like I'll have to recompile the kernel for that to work. And I can't get Galactic Civilizations II to install at all. HomeWorld 2 doesn't seem to work either. And those are just the few (of my many) that I've tried so far.

Looks like I'm going to be keeping a Windows partition around for gaming... Bah!

aeto
July 31st, 2006, 02:56 PM
to add to the list, im another immigrant in Linux. I hope to make Linux my one & only country of residence. Im now a Linux patriot. I occasionally travel to different states like Debian & Mandriva. Im currently staying in Kubuntu :lol:

John Jones
July 31st, 2006, 07:35 PM
I got rid of my XP installation about a month ago, and I don't miss it atall.

Having said that, I do have XP running as a guest courtesy of VMware, as there are a couple of Windows apps for which I haven't as yet found a Linux substitute.

But my main OS is Ubuntu 6.06.

Cheers,

John Jones :D

Josh Kurtz
July 31st, 2006, 10:30 PM
I switched all the way to Debian in 2004. In May of '05 I got an iBook and used OS X 10.4 for about a year. I'm using Kubuntu only on my new nc6000 notebook but I do have another laptop with XP that I use for dvd-shrink so I can easily rip and burn dvd's. I haven't looked into something like that for linux but whenever I find what I need I'll punt that XP notebook on eBay.

I do think that XP has its uses and, if it wasn't for all the virus hassles, I wouldn't mind using it. But I really like the feel of KDE and the ease of apt/aptitude so I'd still use Kubuntu even if Vista comes out stable (yeah right:lol: )

moshuptrail
August 1st, 2006, 03:36 AM
I've been using Ubuntu for about 3-4 weeks. For my laptop, my needs are pretty simple - browser, email, gaim, a few simple games. Ubuntu is great.

But for my office there are still a few things I'm trying to figure out.
The toughest I think is doing multi-page scanning from an ADF (page feed) scanner directly to PDF. If you know how to do that or if it can be done, I would very much appreciate some help. I think it's the last really critical thing I need ******* for. I'd love to recover that disk space from XP.

Multi-page scanning is a function I do a lot, and replacing it with too many steps makes the process too slow to be practical. XSane seems to make great huge jpegs, which is bad, but it does seem to know about ADF scanners. It would be cool if I could take the output of XSane and pipe it to something that would convert to PDF and shrink the image size all in one step.

Any ideas?

I've got an HP OfficeJet V40 and I scan documents that have 2-20 pages fairly frequently. I save the results as PDF so it can be opened and read on just about any PC. I've got about 4-5 years of records kept this way and I'm not too interested in changing formats. My incoming documents are sometimes hardcopy that I must scan, but also come from web pages that I print to PDF.

lennyjames
August 1st, 2006, 05:21 AM
My Win XP is there for only one thing - Flacon 4.0! Anything else is completely Ubuntu and I am loving the switch. :p

gnomeuser
August 1st, 2006, 05:25 AM
Linux for everything, it's been that way for years now. I'm not much of a gamer so I don't feel the hurting as much as others.

Ziox
August 1st, 2006, 05:29 AM
Pure Ubuntu all the way :)

Arkian
August 1st, 2006, 07:44 AM
Ubuntu on my laptop means Ubuntu 8 hours a day (work).

Still run XP on my Desktop at home - but only for gaming. Dualboots with Mandriva Distro which I dislike compared to Ubuntu.

BoyOfDestiny
August 1st, 2006, 10:00 AM
I've been using Ubuntu for about 3-4 weeks. For my laptop, my needs are pretty simple - browser, email, gaim, a few simple games. Ubuntu is great.

But for my office there are still a few things I'm trying to figure out.
The toughest I think is doing multi-page scanning from an ADF (page feed) scanner directly to PDF. If you know how to do that or if it can be done, I would very much appreciate some help. I think it's the last really critical thing I need ******* for. I'd love to recover that disk space from XP.

Multi-page scanning is a function I do a lot, and replacing it with too many steps makes the process too slow to be practical. XSane seems to make great huge jpegs, which is bad, but it does seem to know about ADF scanners. It would be cool if I could take the output of XSane and pipe it to something that would convert to PDF and shrink the image size all in one step.

Any ideas?

I've got an HP OfficeJet V40 and I scan documents that have 2-20 pages fairly frequently. I save the results as PDF so it can be opened and read on just about any PC. I've got about 4-5 years of records kept this way and I'm not too interested in changing formats. My incoming documents are sometimes hardcopy that I must scan, but also come from web pages that I print to PDF.

Well, been using ubuntu 6.06 happily for laptop and desktop. Anyway, I bet for your scanning you could do a simple shell script that would handle it.

in the repos
sane-utils
imagemagick

sane-utils contains scanimage
http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/scanimage.1.html

You can choose the image filetype, and make it increment the image names with --batch-double for double sided scanning

Then use imagemagick to resize

For images to pdf (didn't see it in the ubuntu repos, google turned this up)
http://www.wizards.de/~frank/pstill.html

I don't think it would be too bad to just have a folder of images and tar/zip them.

Anyway, hope this gives you a good start, I'm sure some people on the forums will help you with a script, would be about 3 or 4 lines I think, put a little short-cut on the desktop and you'd be set.

I have a lot of fun with scripting, great for automating reptitive tasks (downloading and building from source, building packages, downloading at specified times, etc.) Don't be afraid to play with it a little bit. I'm still a bit of a newbie myself, but man pages and google are very helpful (bash scripts would be a keyword in searching.)

try
man imagemagick
in terminal
to see the usage and examples.

raja
August 2nd, 2006, 01:11 AM
I am finding Ubuntu fantastic and would love to switch over completely. So what keeps me from removing XP?
1. MATLAB - of which I have only a windows version. On wine it doesnt work as well and though Octave may be OK as a replacement, I am more comfortable with MATLAB.
2. I need to do some work with word documents with a bibliography manager. Bibus works beatifully with Ooffice too, but it does not seem to be possible to work on a document alternately with MSword and Ooffice. And since I have colleagues who will need to read and edit the file with word, I need word for now.
3. A good interface for playing chess on the free internet chess server. Though there are ways of doing it from linux, none of then equals my favourite interface - babaschess.
So I am still going back to XP now and then, but atleast from a dual boot, I have switched to runnung XP inside ubuntu on vmware!

Cyraxzz
August 2nd, 2006, 01:28 AM
100% Ubuntu = )

orb9220
August 4th, 2006, 04:45 AM
winXP? Is that a virus? Oh yeah I had it for a decade before I took my ubuntu meds.

Now feeling fine.

D!mon
August 4th, 2006, 05:08 AM
100% Kubuntu since version 5.10 since beginning of May:)

poloman2
August 4th, 2006, 05:49 AM
I havent switched completely to linux, but will as soon as i find out how to get my mp3 files to play, as soon as i figure out how to install XAAMP, and i how to run dreamweaver in wine...

also as soon as my mom learns what difference between linux and windows is, she doesnt get it yet...funny ain't?

slimdog360
August 4th, 2006, 06:04 AM
I need to play games evry now and again, also linux is not very good with printers. I need my canon ip3000 to work properly in linux, which includes the auto duplexing, one feature I couldnt live without.
Also any sort of scientific software in linux is generally terrible, I need a good circuit simulator and math package. Octave for the math stuff goes alright but could be better, particularly plotting wise.
Basically if I could get a good circuit simulator, which also working in windows, and my printer working I could completely change.
Everything else though in linux is fantastic.

bajara
August 5th, 2006, 09:44 PM
No ******* on my laptop since May...

The 3 desktop computers on my house run ******* because they're used by my family (one runs Debian/XP, the other XP and the last one 98).

abandoned_hussam
August 5th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Over 2 years now windows-free. :)

atrus123
August 5th, 2006, 10:07 PM
We do still have one really old laptop which is running some form of Windows (I forget which). Aside from that, we use Ubuntu, SuSE, and Gentoo, exclusively.

flaak_monkey
August 5th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I have yet to be Windows free, for i do not feel like hassling with trying to find out games that do or do not work on Wine/Cedega. I just want to play any and everything with ease. And i use Macromedia Studio (which is currently or probably never gonna show up on Linux now that Adobe owns them). But other than i use Linux quite often for the most part.

pneaveill
August 6th, 2006, 02:17 AM
All 3 working computers are ubuntu or edubuntu for almost 2 months with no neo-commie/facism from Washington state propaganda

mikeoh
August 6th, 2006, 03:31 AM
I am 99.9% using Kubuntu. The only reason is the university wifi network is incompatible with Linux so I'm stuck having to boot into Windows just to use the wifi network.
Its a horror having to boot into Windows after months not using it and having multiple programs and Windows wanting to update and everything slowing to a crawl. Svchost.exe how I hate thee.

Steve Kinney
August 6th, 2006, 05:35 AM
I tinkered around with Red Hat and Mandrake when they were in 6.x and 7.x, but hardware issues and being broke limited me to just tinkering.

I put a 2nd hard drive in my home box and installed Ubuntu 2 weeks ago. I will leave the Windows OS on the other hard drive for a while just in case I have to scan something before I get around to replacing my WinScanner, but other than that, I do not forsee ever booting from the Windows drive again. Why bother?

Between the Ubuntu docs, archived forum posts, and info available in the shell, I have been able to add every function and solve every problem that has come up so far - and I am a very demanding little user. Ubuntu has exceeded my expectations in every way.

Darth Lukan
August 6th, 2006, 09:47 PM
I use Ubuntu Dapper Drake as my primary OS. I was an avvid Gentooer for about two years, still beleive it is one of the greatest Linux distros of all time, but I like the ease of ubuntu. Besides, with the advents of wine, cedega and vmware, my HL2 and CSS work just fine, not as good as with windows, but i don't mind a few textures tearing here and there ;) besides, it doesn't get any more secure than linux. And I like being able to customize my kernel instead of being given an error that tells me to contact the system admin, I always thought I was the admin...

Felzix
August 6th, 2006, 10:41 PM
I've switched completely to Dapper Drake. It does everything except gaming for me. If I absolutely must game, I use my brother's computer (it has over four times the computing power as my laptop, anyway). I intend to buy a Wii for gaming (and hopefully find a way to use my laptop as the monitor).

timfelgentreff
August 6th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I started using Linux (Suse 7.1) ca. 4 years ago. Been switching from distro to distro ever since. Never had any real problems with any distros. Most games i ever played worked with wine/cedega, so I abandonend ******* shortly after primarily installing Suse. Been on LANs for many years with only linux on my drive and never had to be left out on any game.
You might ask why I always switch distros, thats just because I like to try new stuff, and besides, usually I switch a distro when I get a new PC/Laptop, when it has to be done anyways

matjaz_pirnovar
August 9th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Using Ubuntu (6.06) purely for two months. I'm satisfied.

I will need Win for one & only astrology programme. I think I will install WMWare and run Win virtually just for that programme.

Sbazzeguti
August 9th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I'm new to Ubuntu (actually Kubuntu) and for the first time I don't feel the need to switch to Windows for any reason. I'm a windows user since a lot of time and now I think I found my way to Linux.

I tried many other distributions before, but the internet connection used to be the big problem, since I never use "standard ways" for connecting. Right now it'UMTS and, thanks to a very well done guide found in this forum, I was able to connect to internet in few minutes.

Another good thing in Kubuntu is its selection of well desinged software. You will never be disappointed by a standard ubuntu software.

This does not mean that I will throw away my Windows partition, after all I spent some money on it... and it can be used for some specific reason. But for everyday tasks I will never go back to Windows.

'ntoni
August 9th, 2006, 06:51 PM
100% linux... and 100% ubuntu. I started my linux experience with SuSe and - you know - I tought linux was boring - uh the dependences problems ](*,) old stuff. Then tried debian... and it was pretty, but when I discovered Ubutuntu, yeah, then I decided that Windows was not needed anymore :KS. Why Ubuntu? Because it is built considering the real problem an user will have to resolve when using a computer (and that means: having a computer which works well, with all the applications you need, stable enough to make every test you prefer without risking to be stuck down in shell).

Razer(x)
August 10th, 2006, 10:09 AM
100% linux

Luggy
August 11th, 2006, 06:57 AM
I'll admit I don't play a lot of games on my computer any more after switching to Linux but that hasn't phased me that much.

I use Linux everywhere I can ( 100% at home ). I only use Windows at school and I run an image of Win2K at work through VMPlayer ( I'm using Gentoo until I can find the time to wipe it for Ubuntu ) for the few applications that don't support Linux like MPLAB.

alex76gr
August 11th, 2006, 08:13 AM
It's been a month or so that i have completely switched to linux. The problem for me was to find some programs i used in windows like DVDshrink. I finally found K9copy that does the same job as DVDshrink and switched to linux for good. Of course i still use windows but just for the hundreds of games in my collection. Long Live Ubuntu !!!!

dusu
August 11th, 2006, 08:29 AM
200% Linux (100% per computer :D )

dnel
August 11th, 2006, 10:45 AM
I use Ubuntu about 95% for the last few months, I've used Linux for about 9 years and on-and-off as my primary/only OS mostly Gentoo until about a year ago. I still have Windows 2000 installed though for some DirectX 9c games which Wine won't run and also for Usenet downloads because I can't find a decent replacement for GrabIt for NZB files in Gnome/Linux. Someday it will be gone though :)

ZaphodX
August 11th, 2006, 01:28 PM
I started my first steps with Linux in 1995. I think it was a SuSE 2.0 back then.
Then it took 3 more years of pain working with Win95 until I switched to Debian. Since then I boot Windows only to play games, which does not happen that often.
Last year, I started using Ubuntu and I am very happy now :)

Old *ix Geek
August 12th, 2006, 02:29 AM
I use Linux 99.9% of the time; the ONLY reason I ever boot up Mi$erable WinBlows is to use Paint Shop Pro, version 8, which I have been unable to get running under wine. Everything else, such as RollerCoaster Tycoon, runs great under wine, but for some reason PSP8 just won't do it. Although I use the GIMP, I find that PSP has features that the GIMP does not, so I still occasionally need to use it.

pneaveill
August 12th, 2006, 02:51 AM
I use Linux 99.9% of the time; the ONLY reason I ever boot up Mi$erable WinBlows is to use Paint Shop Pro, version 8, which I have been unable to get running under wine. Everything else, such as RollerCoaster Tycoon, runs great under wine, but for some reason PSP8 just won't do it. Although I use the GIMP, I find that PSP has features that the GIMP does not, so I still occasionally need to use it.
Dumb question: does that use the dreaded active-x drivers or similar arch? If it does, then as far as I am aware, you will never get it to run. May I ask what feature(s) this offers that other linux programs don't offer?

I assume you have tried gimp or inkscape and some of the others on www.sourceforge.net

b_martinez
August 12th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I still have Win 95,98,Me, and XP. :-\"
They are all in a cabinet in my computer desk. Totally switched Jan 2005. First distro was Icepack Linux 2.75. Never got it working right, but have never regretted learning Linux.
Currently my primary is FC5, and I have a (highly) modified Kubuntu on the second hard drive. Still learning, and loving the Penguin. :mrgreen:
Bill

gorded
August 12th, 2006, 08:27 PM
I did it and i feel great, no more slow start up or stupid bugs.

:D

ReneSDK
August 12th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I love Ubuntu 6.06. I'm running it dual boot on my laptop (XP/Ubuntu 6.06), and I really don't boot it into Windows, so I could just delete XP if I wanted to.
I would love to run it as my primary OS on my main PC also, and it would be possible, as I only play World of Warcraft and UT2003/2004. The real problem is though that EVERY linux distro I've tried finds errors on my harddive, so it takes ages for it to boot up (I'm talking 15 mins from it finds the harddives until the login screen is loaded (it's a P4 3.2GHz, 1GB RAM and a 80GB Seagate HDD). I've tested the harddrive in every possible way and it doesn't come out faulty in a single test. I have no idea what's wrong :(
If it wasn't for that I'd run Ubuntu 6.06 as my primary OS 100% of the time.
I'm hoping the next computer I assemble won't have that problem :) So basicly the reason why I still run Windows XP on my main PC is because it doesn't error out on me concerning the harddrive :)

infinitepi
August 13th, 2006, 07:00 AM
I just installed and i love it already. i will be deleteing my windows partition as soon as i get 3 things:
1. my sound working (Audigy, no sound, nothigns muted)
2. a replacment for MS Money (to keep track of my checkbook)
3. am able to play World of Warcraft and Civ 4

ajgreeny
August 13th, 2006, 05:46 PM
99.9% ubuntu since some time last year, (Hoary install, which I loved and it's just got better). However my machine came with XP which cost me money, so why bother to get rid of it, it isn't doing any harm, and it is at present the only way I can get my very old (parallel) microtek scanner to work at all, though not very well there either as there are no new drivers for it. I also have a great DTP prog from serif (PagePlus 10) which is unbeatable. Scribus is OK for little things but for 24 page booklets I find it difficult to use; perhaps I haven't tried hard enough yet.
To infinitepi I would suggest the following: Can't help with 1 & 3, but to replace MS Money, try kmymoney2, in the repos. I think it's great. I looked at gnucash some time ago but did not get on with that, but kmymoney2 is terrific.

rlynch
August 14th, 2006, 05:59 AM
I just recently decided it was time to format my laptop. I figured with the buzz Ubuntu has gotten lately, why not try it out. I mean even if I didnt like it. . .or couldnt get wireless working, things like that. I could just format again, and reinstall xp like I had planned.

My laptop still runs Ubuntu, and I'm not looking back. I am a console gamer, so the few cpu games I want to play I play on the desktop that I built for games. I like the thought of having a light-weight OS, with everything I need(cause I still use it more than my desktop).

niplfsh
August 14th, 2006, 07:58 AM
I've been running ubuntu on my laptop for about a week now. My XP gaming box blew up so I sold the remaining functional components. I recently replaced my laptop hard drive, and came across ubuntu pretty much randomly and decided to give it a try. It has been working awesome for me. All my hardware worked right off the bat, including some rather uncommon USB peripherals. I'm very happy with it so far. However, I am going to build a new gaming box in the near future, and it will have to have windows... though I will have it dual-boot and use ubuntu as my main OS :)

.t.
August 14th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I run nothing on my PC except Ubuntu Edgy. I like to bug-test, and so always run the testing distribution. I'm anti proprietary software, so I refuse to run XP; or, come to think of it, any Windows.

%hMa@?b<C
August 14th, 2006, 02:25 PM
I am totally linux. Unless you count my WINE'D designer tools (photoshop/flash) I am totally free from the shackles of M$.

pneaveill
August 14th, 2006, 02:53 PM
I just installed and i love it already. i will be deleteing my windows partition as soon as i get 3 things:
1. my sound working (Audigy, no sound, nothigns muted)
2. a replacment for MS Money (to keep track of my checkbook)
3. am able to play World of Warcraft and Civ 4
First, what features are in M$ money that you cannot live without? Next, have you searched sourceforge.net for some alternatives? As for the other programs, there may be equivelents or whatever there at sourceforge.net also. Finally, have you looked in the forum here for info? We will need the kernel, anything special about the hardware (including exact models and reference numbers) and all that.

Hope this helps and welcome to ubuntu.

Keep in mind, I am suggesting them, not that you will have to compile them, necessarily, but to see what is really available.

Snowmayne
August 14th, 2006, 09:15 PM
While I've jumped into a dual-boot system, I'm still mainly on WinXP for the following:
My palm-pilot (can't find any app to link with it on Ubuntu)
MS Outlook (200+ contacts and over 400 megs in pst files will take a while to convert ;) )
Dark Age of Camelot
Macromedia (pretty much use the whole Mx series for web pages)

While I did like how well Ubuntu took to my Canon A70 & my MP3 player, I still haven't learned/searched enough to find out if there's a way to convert my iTunes or WMP playlists into a linux version.

The biggest frustration so far is trying to figure out how to get wine up and running to launch most of those win-apps. Even after all the forum searches here and just about any other linux forum I can find, I just feel like there's some missing step I can't see that's not getting it to play nice with my PC.

>SIGH<

|nferno
August 17th, 2006, 02:54 AM
I have been using Linux as my os since 2002 and have been running windows free for at least 9 months now with ubuntu. I have just got my father to dual boot. He has been an avid windows user since windows began. I have recently introduced my mother to symphos witch she find unbelievably simple and easy.

jeffthespasm
August 17th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I still have to dual boot my machine. I use an Emu 1820m soundcard for my home studio which is not supported in Linux, and play some games on XP such as CoD2, F.E.A.R, and Red Orchestra. But honestly, I don't game as much as I used to anyways. If I don't have to boot into Windows, I don't. I'm addicted to Linux! :razz:

thoffland
August 17th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I've been using Ubuntu since Breezy on my laptop which is an old P3 with 128mb ram for about a year... and had toyed with Hoary as my first introduction to Ubuntu. I just installed Dapper on my Desktop which I had built for gaming/web design... I love how much faster Ubuntu is than Windows. Hopefully I'll find workarounds to some issues and can remain only on Ubuntu.

Right now I'm cheating a little and using VMware with XP Pro to run Macromedia software and other programs since my school uses MS based software. I love Ubuntu!

iluminate
August 17th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Not completely!
Still using VMware to boot up XP to use some programs. But each time I boot up XP I really hate it and I am thinking to myself "And I used to love XP before (used their products for over 10 year)...now I just hate it." And it is now I realise how stupid and terrible M$ products are, before I did not. Now it just feels like "dinkey toys" when using $M after having been using a real OS for a while- like Ubuntu =)
If only Adobe and some other companies could release *nix versions.

Thinking acctually of phurchasing a Apple box in the near future, to be able to use Macromedia and Adobe products =)

Peace and take care

AndyCooll
August 17th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Well I now consider this household to be Linux only. 1 server, 3 boxes, 3 laptops all have Ubuntu only installed.

I do have an XP VMware image which I need in order to play Football Manager. I've played all the versions of FM over the last ten years. However, I'm finding that even FM isn't enough reason for me to want to start up the XP image and I'm rarely playing it these days.

:cool:

jonah1980
August 17th, 2006, 09:27 PM
i'd never put windows near a computer again. i've got two linux boxes with ubuntu only on them.

tribaal
August 18th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Well I'm mostly windows free (including at work - yeeeepeee!).
I keep a dual boot machine at home (out of my 5 machines) to switch into wintendo mode once in a while.

I guess someday I'll finnally be able to ditch this nonsense :)

- trib'

DJiNN
August 18th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Started using Breezy at the back end of last year, then upgraded to Dapper this year, dual boot with XP (But i very rarely boot into XP anymore.... maybe once every month or so to put some more MP3's onto my Zen).

I now have two machines, one running Ubuntu and the other running Xubuntu, both networked, and also have an old Laptop (PIII 550Mhz with 128mb of Ram) which i'm currently running BFX on (Which is an offshoot of Beatrix Linux). I'm only running that because it uses the Breezy archives & Gnome, and because i can't get Xubuntu onto it for some reason. (Just won't install)

Within the next few months i shall be getting a new laptop, and i shall be putting Ubuntu on that as well...... I'll also be putting Edubuntu onto my daughters computer this weekend..... she's been using XP up until now, but she's seen me messing around with Gnome & changing all the themes etc, and she wants to have a go.... i showed her Edubuntu & explained the whole concept, and she's up for it!

Why use anything else....? Ubuntu Rocks, all the way! :)

DJiNN

pneaveill
August 19th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Started using Breezy at the back end of last year, then upgraded to Dapper this year, dual boot with XP (But i very rarely boot into XP anymore.... maybe once every month or so to put some more MP3's onto my Zen).

I now have two machines, one running Ubuntu and the other running Xubuntu, both networked, and also have an old Laptop (PIII 550Mhz with 128mb of Ram) which i'm currently running BFX on (Which is an offshoot of Beatrix Linux). I'm only running that because it uses the Breezy archives & Gnome, and because i can't get Xubuntu onto it for some reason. (Just won't install)

Within the next few months i shall be getting a new laptop, and i shall be putting Ubuntu on that as well...... I'll also be putting Edubuntu onto my daughters computer this weekend..... she's been using XP up until now, but she's seen me messing around with Gnome & changing all the themes etc, and she wants to have a go.... i showed her Edubuntu & explained the whole concept, and she's up for it!

Why use anything else....? Ubuntu Rocks, all the way! :)

DJiNN
128 mb Ram is not enough to run the ubuntu products. 192 or somesuch is the minimum needed. There are some rather dangerous workarounds, but they tend to leave your computer LESS than stable.

bryhawks
August 19th, 2006, 05:46 AM
A lot of people say they still use windows to play games and thats the only thing they use it for. I personally play World of Warcraft, Half Life 2, Doom 3, Quake 4, etc on a Linux box. I will tell you it took a little time to get it all sorted out but if you notice most of these games can be played natively on a Linux machine.... For the others I have tried Cedega and Wine. Both worked quite nicely.

The deal with Cedega though is that you get into the proprietary trap again and they want you to keep paying a subscription. Get your minimum subscription and don't keep paying, it's not worth it. Wine works rather well also, the only thing I Found that gave any real grief was the handling of multiple install disks (I just copied all the disks to my hard drive and that helped with that).

I know this sounds like rambling but the bigger picture is that Windows is not needed at all... You can do anything on a Linux machine. I have eradicated all the Windows machines from my home a few years ago and haven't felt the need to get any of them back.

The penguin will prevail!

lukketto
August 19th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Only Ubuntu for me! ;)

Paul_UK
August 19th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Well I'm a Linux newbie so Windows PCs still outnumber Linux PCs here. My main laptop now has XP and Ubuntu 6.06 dual boot and I am using Ubuntu more than Windows already. I have masses of email archived in Outlook so need to access Windows for that. I have also used DreamWeaver for years and haven't played with NVU enough to get to grips with it yet, so it's Windows for that sort of web design still.

However most of the current website stuff I am doing is designing templates for online stores using JShop, and it's great being able to run apache, PHP, MySQL and phpMyAdmin on the same machine as I use for developing and testing. I know this is also possible with Windows, but it is so much simpler with Ubuntu where things "just work".

Our file server still runs Windows 2003 Server, but that seems to corrupt its file system regularly so will probably be Ubuntu within a few months (once I'm a bit more familiar with it). It'll also be a mail server etc then.

I have recenty installed Windows Vista beta 2 and MS Office 2007 beta 2 on a PC and am completely unimpressed with both of them. Change for the sake of change. That PC is six months old and is not really adequate for Vista (graphics limitations mainly) though it runs Ubuntu and Windows XP happily.

I tried Ununtu a year or so ago and ran into several problems with hardware etc, and couldn't find the answers in these forums. A year on, Dapper Drake is much better in that regard, and the forums seem much more welcoming of newbies as long as we are prepared to have a go and don't expect Linux to be a Windows clone.

5centcigar
August 19th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I cannot give up Photoshop.

jonah1980
August 19th, 2006, 03:59 PM
i use photoshop 7.0 perfectly with wine. other versions that are newer can be a little more tricky to get going though

justinj100
August 19th, 2006, 06:34 PM
I have switched to Ubuntu and now switched my wifes machine too.

I have played with various Linux distros over the last few years but due to limitations (in various areas) I always switched back.

I am not a gamer and so everything else fits, is faster and no spying from software vendors.

OK, so not everysoftware package is as easy to install as Windows. However, in a funny kind of way, I hope it stays that way. you see, I get a sense of satisfaction when an install did nto work due to a dependancy not being there, researching the problem on the internet or by trial and error and eventually getting it going.

Also, I have found I have been able to get everything working (in the end) that I needed to. I have my printer networked to work on all machines, cross file sharing between the windows boxes of the kids and my wife and I's machines plus even the cameras and external hard drives work first time just like windows does!

The real big thing for me is the performance. Not that I do any big demanding aps. it is just everything happens before you click the mouse!

Thats my two cents worth. Thanks Ubuntu for making things happen!

Justin

geniium
August 20th, 2006, 04:06 PM
I did and am totally happy with Ubuntu. A few things have to be changed/installed/corrected. But I removed windows a few months ago.

Sslaxx
August 20th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Perfectly happy with Linux. Haven't used Windows in anger on this machine for a while now.

jonah1980
August 21st, 2006, 04:40 PM
we're not alone!! fly the ubuntu flag (or logo!! hehe)

http://ubuntucounter.geekosophical.net/

UncleOwl
August 21st, 2006, 05:29 PM
Since 2000.

kwalo
August 21st, 2006, 11:01 PM
When I switched to Ubuntu, I kept Windows for about a year, but I didn't use it very much. Only for playing some freeware games. It was easy to switch for me, because I'm not bound to any Windows app. I program a little, so I had no complaints after switching. Linux is way more developer-friendly.

I don't remember for how long I'm running Ubuntu only. Windows is a bad memory for me :D

lkh
August 25th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Hi,

I'm using Linux since 1999. I started with Slackware (3?), then I used SUSE, Debian and since last year Ubuntu. Windows XP is also installed because of some special software I must use.

Mime
August 25th, 2006, 08:52 PM
I use windows for gaming still, but other than that I've switched over. My main gaming machine at home runs windows with ubuntu running in vmware inside of that. I still have my laptop dual booted with windows and ubuntu also, but I dunno when the last time was that I booted into windows. I believe I even still have the boring clouds wallpaper on there; I never bothered to get rid of it. :p

Rogers
August 25th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Linux rules right?

pinkunicorn
August 25th, 2006, 10:50 PM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

Our home workstation has been all-linux since 1995.

RAV TUX
August 25th, 2006, 11:11 PM
I'm still using winXP as my primary OS because in Ubuntu I can't acces my 240 GB raid array. I don't think I will get it working. So I'm gonna lend some external harddisks and backup all my data. When that's done I will be using Ubuntu as my primary OS. I will keep a dual boot configuration for the time being.

Have you tried other distros for your RAID array?...I simply turned my RAID off via the BIOS menu and I exclusively use Knoppix.

XP sp2 slowed to a crawl even with the RAID array...knoppix is lightening speed faster.

I use Ubuntu exclusively on my old computer....

I use OS X at work...

I am completely windows free...don't miss a thing

(my wife uses XP Tablet Edition on her Fujitsu Lifebook T4120 convertible

Until Ubuntu comes out with a Tablet Edition,...Tabuntu!

pneaveill
August 26th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Linux rules right?

Hope that is a joke and not a question ...... :)

Eckstona
August 27th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.i have cedega, runs almost all good windows games.
http://www.transgaming.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=2&meid=-1

agrabah
August 27th, 2006, 08:41 AM
The only operating system installed on my computer is kubuntu. I recently made a .vmx image windows for the purpose of runing a dictionary software which I was unable to run in wine, and, hopefully running itunes for managing my ipod (some time in the future).

But I think it was a wise decision to switch.

Tine

insane_alien
August 27th, 2006, 01:40 PM
i haven't booted into windows for weeks now. my laptop is completely ubuntu and my desktop has windows on it for my parents.

DaveRowell
August 30th, 2006, 02:32 PM
I have!

But wait! I had to boot XP to find out how to recover when the new version of X borked my system.

I had planned to wipe everything and devote the whole drive to Ubuntu but the X thing was a wake up call. I'll leave XP the little space it has, boot monthly for updates and hope I never really need it!

chaosgeisterchen
August 30th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Complete switch is some impossibility for me. School forces me to use Windows - and my laziness does as well concerning photoshop. I'll try PS7 under wine soon I swear ;)

iZm
August 30th, 2006, 05:44 PM
100% Linux since 1998. I use Linux (Debian (servers) and Ubuntu (workstations)) and Windows server 2003 at work, I remote into all servers from my Ubuntu laptop. The only time I jump on a Windows XP box is when I am helping out the desktop support guys.

I can see the difficulty with letting go of Windows as I went through the withdrawals once, but now I have been with Linux for so long, I could never go back and would be as uncomfortable working exclusively with Windows every day as I was with Linux way back when I first made the switch.

The method for the switch was to remove every copy of Windows from my house and if I wanted the functionality I needed, I had to learn it or do without it ](*,) . Made a Linux man 'o' me. :-D

pneaveill
August 31st, 2006, 03:15 AM
100% Linux....
The method for the switch was to remove every copy of Windows from my house and if I wanted the functionality I needed, I had to learn it or do without it ](*,) . Made a Linux man 'o' me. :-D

I am so glad someone else is willing to admit this. When I did this back in April, several people (in other forums -- NOT here) jumped my case about it. Yes, I am a noob, but learning daily stuff that 20+ years of CP/M, do$, window$ and the like, never allowed me to learn. Other than an audio problem on one machine and an OCR scanning problem on another, I am quite content.

artisan
August 31st, 2006, 06:54 AM
I have!

But wait! I had to boot XP to find out how to recover when the new version of X borked my system.

I use Ubuntu only, but keep a seperate hard drive (sat somehwere under the clutter on my desk) with windows on it "for emergencies". I did like windows 3.1 after that it went down hill, Ive used 95, 98, 98se each one progresively getting worse. I recently got a legitmate copy of windows XP(my first ever legit copy of windows) and it was XP that made me move away. Windows wanted to tell me what to do with my machine and the add on programs can be $100. Unless you want second class service.
:)

DoctorMO
August 31st, 2006, 07:41 AM
I've never really owned a copy of windows, so I melted the pireted vwersions of windows 2000 and my old all in one CDs (DOS, 3.11, 95, 98, ME)

roboghast
August 31st, 2006, 03:12 PM
I did this week. With the information and Microsoft's recent antics with Vista I decided its time for a change. And OMG am I surprized by this operating system. I use computers every day in my work, I also play MMORPGs, I'm 45 so you would think I would stay with Windows. Well I am finally tired of all the Microsoft Crap - here is my Microsoft story, a lesson I should have learned years ago.

I was in College, around 1984-5? With my hard earned money I was able to get a ATT 8086 PC, I also had to scrape together enough money to buy Microsoft Word. Well I installed MS Word but was also using that little memory resident program called Sidekick, you'd do an alt-tab to pop SideKick up - anyways - was using the two applications together when MS Word FARTED - some stupid message came up like "woe to you who bear evil fruit" or some dumb *** message like that - it turned out that Word had this bomb in it that when it detected the memory resident SideKick, MS WORD TRASHED THE MS WORD PROGRAM DISK! that still sticks in my butt.

I should have made the change to Linux earlier.

love ya, mean it,
roboghast

junnu
September 1st, 2006, 02:40 PM
I have been using Linux for a few years now, started with SuSe but didn't like KDE so much. A friend of mine suggested Ubuntu at school so I tried it and liked it. After that I haven't used Windows almost at all. In school, of course, and fixing friends's and our second computers problems with Windows. Personally my Windows using came to an end a few weeks ago when my Windows-HD got busted. It still exists but I'm too lazy to remove it.

I play pretty much but that I do with PS2, GC and VBA.

Only existence of windows I accept is the PC under our staircase, with Win 3.1.1 (still have the original diskettes), Doom2, Heretic and Wolf3D. Nostalgic. Only thing it needs is a keyboard and a mouse.

era86
September 1st, 2006, 06:35 PM
Been windows free for about a week and I must say it is refreshing. I spent much time dual booting, afraid that someday I would go back to windows. I realized that in the past year I only booted into Windows when I had school work to do in MSVS or any other Windows based software for school. Now I use vmware and have no issues with dual booting! 100% linux laptop!

etotehpii
September 2nd, 2006, 10:27 AM
I just built by new PC about a month ago.
My friend had a dual boot of XP and Ubuntu and I thought that was good idea because I wanted to play around with linux. My plan was Windows for gaming and Linux for everything else. I tried to find hardware that was easier to get up and running in linux like my wireless card.
So far it has been frustrating, fun and rewarding experience. I messed something up trying to get quicktime to work within the first 2 days. This resulted in me having to flash my bios and reinstalling windows which somehow was affected with what I did. Ubuntu wasnt working until I flashed my bios. Then Windows got rid of Grub. I researched how to get Grub back and got him back with the forum's help. Ubuntu has been easier to set up wirelessly than windows has been.
The X-Server crash was an interesting experience. The forums were very helpful and I couldn't find out how to install the new xorg files from my cd because of my almost non-existent knowledge of Ubuntu. I was very happy when I was able to fix X with the forum's help. The next trial was getting Ubuntu to print wirelessly with my Canon MP830. I was able to get it running after tinkering around for awhile.
Then I got to trying warcraft III out. I've been able to get it up and running smoothly and online. Funny thing is, is that it runs better online than when I play it in windows. I've changed my theme to an OSX theme and am very happy with it. I've always liked how macs look. (I wish now we stuck with macs instead of switching to PCs with windows in 1997) ME was HORRIBLE! My dad has just recently gone back to mac with a Macbook Pro and he is very happy with how things "just work."
The next trial is getting Java to work. I'm assisting with a class at my college that uses the ALEKS progam. I was offended that it doesn't support Unix/Linux. So far I've been unsuccessful in getting Java to work. I tried installing it through wine with windows firefox with no luck. I tried some wierd tutorial with firefox32 and had no luck with that either. Right now there are only three reason I can think of keeping my windows partition for:
1. In the case something breaks i.e. X-server.(Although I have considered trying another distro as a replacement to windows.) I don't know how to connect to the internet through console. Lynx sounds like something fun to do sometime.
2.ALEKS(unless I can get it working in ubuntu)
3.BF2(I havn't researched getting this to run in ubuntu, I dont think this resource hog will run well or at all with wine)

Overall I've noticed myself progressivily spending more time with the Penguin instead of eh Windows...I would like to use linux soley and am probably using it 75%+ of the time. I'm very impressed with Ubuntu and the great community on these forums. There is a lot of helpful info.

pneaveill
September 2nd, 2006, 08:25 PM
Might say both welcome to Ubuntu and many of the issus are on various places here in this forum. Look around.

faflu
September 3rd, 2006, 12:51 PM
I only use XP at work - no other way (but servers are in 80% Linux). At home I've stopped using Windows (98) about a year ago. For about half a year I'm a happy Ubuntu user :-D

argie
September 3rd, 2006, 04:13 PM
I use Ubuntu all the time, but every now and then my younger brother boots this machine into Windows. Perhaps I should remove the dual boot.

userfriendly
September 3rd, 2006, 05:00 PM
i recently (two weeks ago) installed ubuntu on my laptop (which came with windows xp preinstalled), and haven't booted up windows since then. ubuntu just works.

i have three machines in use, one little epia thing as my home server (with debian on it since the first day), the laptop for every day use (office stuff, www, email, development, hifi), and a workstation for making music - this one is the only machine i'll keep windows on, because the software i use is only available for that os. other than that, i'm now totally content with linux.

Cogitoē
September 4th, 2006, 02:16 AM
I've completely switched for a couple weeks now. I wanted to install Windows, but I lost my CD Key so I tried out ubuntu. So far I've sticked with it and now that I got wireless working I see no reason to switch. I only really use it for internet, email, aim, etc. I still need to get media files working well (can't play the majority of movie files) and it'd be nice to get flash working (although that seems not quite as easy). After that once I get skype going I'm happy. Ubuntu is incredibly easy to use. I've only used linux for a couple weeks and I have basically no problems.

hernyman
September 4th, 2006, 02:36 AM
I've completly switched yesterday, running away from Vista RC1 :D

Still keep a Windows partition for my mom, she don't like computers...

markitoxs
September 4th, 2006, 12:27 PM
I use only ubuntu, for one year and a half. Only win app I use, is Photoshop 7, through wine.

BlacKat_K
September 4th, 2006, 04:57 PM
I started using Ubuntu exactly three days ago with no previous linux experience and i'm abolutely loving it.I switched from Windows XP,erased everything that had to do with it, i was tired of formating my system over and over,tired of all the errors and everything](*,) .Ubuntu is great for a change,i installed everything i needed (with a few exceptions that i cant figure out like Java) and it runs smoothly.I can easily call it the best decision i've made in years,computer-wise :D

kaplis
September 4th, 2006, 08:06 PM
i needed to write the finishing paper (work) in university so i bought pentiumIII, but there were several problems wich i dont remember right now so i wrote my paper completely with Ubuntu live CD...witout any installed programm on my box:-D and after that i completely use only Ubuntu \m/

etotehpii
September 4th, 2006, 08:24 PM
I started using Ubuntu exactly three days ago with no previous linux experience and i'm abolutely loving it.I switched from Windows XP,erased everything that had to do with it, i was tired of formating my system over and over,tired of all the errors and everything](*,) .Ubuntu is great for a change,i installed everything i needed (with a few exceptions that i cant figure out like Java) and it runs smoothly.I can easily call it the best decision i've made in years,computer-wise :D

Let me know if you figure out how to get java to work. I've tried various tutorials online with no success. I got java to work but thats through Vmware Player running windows xp home, but I havn't left linux this time!

BlacKat_K
September 4th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Oh yeah i installed java just after posting the message.lol i always do that,finding solutions just after asking for help :)
Well i just turned on repositories and installed sun-java-plugin which came with some other libraries and such.And..thats about it,i can play yahoo games.LOL :)

gabhla
September 4th, 2006, 11:19 PM
I converted almost two years ago. Oh, I still have a Windows partition; but, I haven't boot it in over a year. I'd wipe it; but, just never got around to it and have pleanty of space.

fatsheep
September 5th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Ubuntu is my primary OS, I rarely boot to windows except for two things:

1. TVU Player (Nifty app that lets you get TV on your computer).
2. Rome: Total War (This is a really nice strategy game, don't play it too often though).

In the future I may end up using XP more for Medieval 2 Total War (Rome's sequel), Battlefield 2121, and maybe America's Army. I really wish game manufacturers would include a tarball for us poor linux gamers. :-k

tkaarthi
September 5th, 2006, 12:45 AM
I have three machines at home, 2 are completely Ubuntu one is XP still. I use one low end machine (500 Mhz) as my file server (with Ubuntu) works without any problem. My laptop HP 1.8 Ghz I used to toggle btw XP and Ubuntu ... Now it is completely Ubuntu.

Issues:
I still have issues to connect with my network printer from Wlan .. while my file server which has eth0 connects easily. I have posted a thread and hope to get answers soon.

GAIM - I am not able to get into Yahoo Chat rooms. I am able to get the main list .. but not able to go further.

I had difficulty with my WG111 USB wireless adapter, but with few trials and help from forum I was able to fix it using Ndiswrapper. (Very good tool).

It takes time ... but it is worth the effort. Once everything is setup .. it works very smoothly. I dont keep my computer ON fearing about the shut down and startup time. Ubuntu boots up fast and shutdowns just like that, its like turning ON and OFF a TV.

I have started to spend more time with Ubuntu than the XP machine. There are plenty to explore and I am refreshing lot of what I learned at school. I plan to buy another machine and use it as a internal file server and use the low end machine as remote server so that I can access some files from internet. Ubuntu gives life to low end machines which makes it easier to use inexpensive hardware and the possibilities become limitless.

Thanks and hats off to the Ubuntu team ... I am happy to be part of it. I doing my best to spread the word about Ubuntu to my collegues ... 2 of them are already interested and wanted to install on their kids computer.

Jeffery Mewtamer
September 5th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I did have a 4 GB Windows partition that I was using exclusively for an ATI TVWonder, but recording TV wasn't worth the hassle, and I'm now 100% Linux. Now if I could only convert my family.

bgg71
September 5th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I wish I could completly switch. Unfortunatelly it is not possible. There is a tone of software I use for work that is not available for linux and win4linpro is way too slow to be usable. Wine is not working with all the software I need or viceversa. My webcam doens't work in linux, My cell phone doens't connect. Etc, etc.
I love linux and have been playing with it for the last 5 years. I used just about any major distro out there. I have ubuntu dapper now. I hope one day when wine will be mature enough i can format my windows partitions. Or even better, when software makers will release a linux version as they release a mac version for all software they make. How about that? Let's all hope that day will come soon!

pneaveill
September 6th, 2006, 02:39 AM
I have three machines at home, 2 are completely Ubuntu one is XP still. I use one low end machine (500 Mhz) as my file server (with Ubuntu) works without any problem. My laptop HP 1.8 Ghz I used to toggle btw XP and Ubuntu ... Now it is completely Ubuntu.

Issues:
I still have issues to connect with my network printer from Wlan .. while my file server which has eth0 connects easily. I have posted a thread and hope to get answers soon.

GAIM - I am not able to get into Yahoo Chat rooms. I am able to get the main list .. but not able to go further.

I had difficulty with my WG111 USB wireless adapter, but with few trials and help from forum I was able to fix it using Ndiswrapper. (Very good tool).

It takes time ... but it is worth the effort. Once everything is setup .. it works very smoothly. I dont keep my computer ON fearing about the shut down and startup time. Ubuntu boots up fast and shutdowns just like that, its like turning ON and OFF a TV.

I have started to spend more time with Ubuntu than the XP machine. There are plenty to explore and I am refreshing lot of what I learned at school. I plan to buy another machine and use it as a internal file server and use the low end machine as remote server so that I can access some files from internet. Ubuntu gives life to low end machines which makes it easier to use inexpensive hardware and the possibilities become limitless.

Thanks and hats off to the Ubuntu team ... I am happy to be part of it. I doing my best to spread the word about Ubuntu to my collegues ... 2 of them are already interested and wanted to install on their kids computer.
As for the Gaim, might suggest going with latest and greatest. I am in process of checking out gyachi.

daybreaker
September 6th, 2006, 05:51 PM
I had no choice to go 100% Linux.

My desktop is too old for gaming anyways, so I wiped the HD, and installed Ubuntu and XP dual booting. However, Windows XP stopped booting up a few months later, so the desktop was solely Ubuntu until the power supply or mobo gave out last weekend (dont know which, dont really care. Not worth the trouble to salvage outside of grabbing an external enclosure for my hard drives).

My laptop's WIndows was so filled with spyware I wiped it and just stuck Ubuntu on it. No dual boot.

So now my desktop is dead, and my laptop has just Ubuntu. For someone who has never used Linux before, I was thrown into the deep end, so to speak, and forced to swim. And I'm doing ok.

In fact, my only problem right now is internet videos lagging a few seconds behind the sound. I havent looked into that problem on the forums yet though. Every other problem has either been answered here, or in the wiki.

I've gone from newbie to above average beginner in almost no time. :-P

beko
September 6th, 2006, 11:26 PM
I wish I can take this step to wipe all the windows partition but I have a few problem prevent me from doing this:
1-Games.. I am a gamer & I don't think I can live without them :D ... I tried to get cedega for 3 month to see how it wll do with my games but it can't run the new games as it should be & even the games they said that cedega will run them very well you will find issues with them like slowness & you can't paly online with them.

2- Some programs from microsoft like mirosoft student & some of my e-learning CD's .

3-The video chat programs not good as on windows .

I wish there will be anyway to make them run on ubuntu oneday

Mithrilhall
September 7th, 2006, 06:57 AM
I have 3 computers.

1 - Kubuntu (Dansguardian/Proxy Server)
2 - Kubuntu/XP Pro (Dual booting for gaming reasons...although I haven't actually booted into Windows since I installed it - about 2 months ago
3 - Windows MCE 2005 - Could be replaced with MythTV but I'm too lazy at the moment

ferd
September 14th, 2006, 07:31 PM
MS is extortion. Malware and spyware and the rest are not accidents. They are an income stream for MS though the expensive software needed to try to fight them.

ozmont
September 14th, 2006, 11:04 PM
About 4 months here since I built my bitsa box to be my new linux permanent box. It's a 3.2 Gig with a 120G drive 1Gig RAM and for now runs just Dapper.

I work as a PC tech all day long and working with ******* sometimes makes you feel like a Yugo mechanic! Only there are more windows boxes out there than there ever was Yugos!

It is just such a shoddy cobbled together bag of junk. Thinking bout the BSOD screens I guess M$ is like a bad wedding something borrowed somthing blue something new and a LOT that's old.

Still it was gratifying to see the stack of Ubuntu CD's I put in the front of the shop walk out of there within 3 weeks!

Have Fun
Ozmont:-\"

gabhla
September 14th, 2006, 11:31 PM
I converted about a year ago. I have two up & running systems. Windows is gone completely from one, and hangs around on the other. But, haven't booted into Windows in well over a year. Have no reason to.

LinuxLemur
September 15th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Long story short, if they haven't already, everyone here would love to switch completely to Linux. What's holding them back? Not Linux, but the stubborn industry that only knows what's put in front of them.

Some people who try Linux will start to use it and find out they can't do something and then feel no need to switch (why have 2 OSes?). Why can't you do it? Not because Linux is incapable, but because the mainstream industry doesn't support it. For an OS that doesn't have much help from the mainstream industry, Linux has proven it can keep up with new technology and advancements. It not only has kept a decent pace with Windows, it has continued to exceed Windows in many ways. The only ways that it hasn't has nothing to do with Windows being good really, but because of the industry that supports it.

DaveQB
September 15th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Hit the nail on the head there!

DarkN00b
September 15th, 2006, 06:04 AM
I was going to install Dapper on my laptop last month to dual boot with WinXP. I accidentally erased my Win partition so I had to jump in with both feet. I never looked back.

JSVH
September 15th, 2006, 07:06 AM
I have completely switched over. My Dual-boot laptop broke so I am have been using exclusivly Ubuntu for the past few months. It is great, it just feels so much better.

aie
September 17th, 2006, 10:25 AM
I recently switched to Linux and I must say I am quite happy of the performance.

I dont have the impression that spywares are infesting my machine anymore.

Thanks for open source, it is the future.

Mr Egg
September 17th, 2006, 10:33 AM
100% Ubuntu for just over a month now :D

Magnes
September 17th, 2006, 11:12 AM
I'm using only Ubuntu now, because my WinXP said goodby to me. But I'll be forced to install it one day to finish some work I've started on it.

Crooksey
September 17th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I have been using Linux on my main box for a while now, i use windows when on other computers in the house and at collage. I was using gentoo as the main OS on my desktop, but it was far to much work and hassle. So i went to ubuntu, havent looked back since. This is my main box im on now, running ubuntu and fully tweaked, My other computer dual boots gentoo and slackware, and once my laptop arrives im putting ubuntu on that :p

dnel
September 17th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I finally installed Ubuntu over my Windows installation on my primary hard disk today. I am now completely Windows free. This took some time as I was getting my normal activities moved into the Ubuntu way which I managed for all but some directx games which wont work under Wine, but as I don't game much I needed the hard disk space more than I needed Windows. :)

cornycopious
September 17th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I'm doing my best to stick with Ubuntu only. I had SUSE 10.1 and switched to Ubuntu yesterday. Right now I'm trying to get my Ipod Nano running (GTKPod is having some installation problems), mp3 playback, video drivers installed, and figure out how to access a second hard drive. So far my patience hasn't run out, but if it does that second hard drive is getting XP put back on it. Prior to SUSE, Windows was all I'd ever run. I've always hated it. If Ubuntu ultimately doesn't work out for me at all I'll probably buy a Mac, but I don't think that will be necessary.

Zyith
September 17th, 2006, 08:00 PM
I still have a Windows XP install, but I don't go into it often at all. Maybe twice since I installed Ubuntu at the beginning of August, if that, and not for very long. Between homework and writing, I spend hours a day at my computer and I've spent maybe two hours in Windows in two months.

Before Ubuntu, I had Slackware, and I went six months without even having a Windows install before I got an itching for some games I couldn't quite get running in WINE. I still didn't spend much time in Windows -- the interface of a well tweaked Gnome is just far, far better than Windows.

So in nine months now, I've maybe spent twelve hours in Windows not counting fixing other people's computers that are borked. I doubt I'll ever completely kick Windows, but it is my secondary operating system, not my primary, and shall remain that way unless they suddenly start basing it off of Ubuntu or something.

Just the sheer magnitude of software available in Ubuntu through Synaptic/apt-get is enough to keep me busy for years and years. Between frotz and nethack, dosbox and dgen, zsnes and fceu... I can pretty much play all of my favorite console games and my controller worked out of the box (Logitech Rumblepad). So when I build a new computer (which I am itching to do just lacking the funds, being a college student), I probably won't even bother installing Windows on it.

Sorry, rambling here. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :biggrin:

fontenot_1031
September 18th, 2006, 06:13 PM

Partition Windows so you can still play games woot!

johanvandermeer
September 18th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I switched to Linux a few months ago. I guess im not a casual user, because for my work i have to do lots of stuff for which a batch is very handy. Also i do some php/html/sqlling.

The ease of getting new software via apt, the support for programming (be it html, php, perl), and the stuff you can do (and batch) with the command line is great. This has quite offset the (kind of) steep learning curve for me.

Laters,
Johan

amgeex
September 18th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Count me in! I switched like... huh... maybe a month or two ago, not sure. Everything's working! :D

drdnl
September 21st, 2006, 01:13 PM
It's been three if not four months now, I use ubuntu almost exclusively minus some unformatted space on one of my hdd's which will eventually hold winxp if I ever get around to it. As far as I can think of every single piece of (important) hardware is now working and I am thoroughly impressed with Linux and especially Ubuntu!

-D

DaveQB
September 21st, 2006, 02:50 PM
Some great little stories coming out of this thread. Awesome to read! Surprised how many have gone "cold turkey".

Keep it up!

martijn hoekstra
September 21st, 2006, 04:19 PM
unfortunately I need windows for Flash and Dreamweaver. otherwise I only use Ubuntu. Im planning to get a BSD partition soon.webcam

DC@DR
September 21st, 2006, 05:36 PM
Yes, finally, I don't have to dual boot Ubuntu with Windows XP since I got permission from boss to get VMware Workstation license and get WindowsXP running virtually inside Ubuntu only. I still wait for the time when my work can completely get rid of Windows-dependent stuffs, I guess that moment will come, sooner or later, but definitely it will come :)

Mapleman
September 21st, 2006, 07:40 PM
I dropped WindowsXP for Ubuntu last weekend, I don't miss the spyware/trojans and adware infestation regardless of cleaners it was still jacked up eh, as for gaming I have a PS2 for that, I like the freedom of customizing my O/S without hitting a "30 day trial then Pay me for this program" nonsense for something that ends up causing registry errors? Good Bye MS yay :-P

redDEADresolve
September 23rd, 2006, 03:34 AM
I switched after 6 six weeks of using Ubuntu, I use Windows XP in vmware for my Sony NW-HD5 and for converting roms for my supercard. But as soon as I get an iPod I think I'm going to have to ditch Vmware.

chinaski
September 23rd, 2006, 05:29 PM
I don't know if I can say I completely switched to GNU/Linux, I feel like I did, but I still use Windows (only for one task)

I own two computers and they both run Ubuntu and only that, and those are the only computers I use/work with, but:

on the desktop machine I have w2k pro in emulation with Vmware Server, the only reason for that is that I keep up to date the blog of a weekly magazine, and they send me articles in freehand format (.FHxx) for which I was not able to find a GNU/Linux application

but apart from that, I don't need windows anymore ;)

nuts11222
September 23rd, 2006, 08:26 PM
I've been using only Linux for the past month.My son and I are in to gaming so,we have the Windows machine.However,my Xandros and Ubuntu are on one seperate system.

lH)4~mK0e
September 23rd, 2006, 08:45 PM
I switched to Linux off and on since 2003 and completely switched when I found I could load the entire Quake series, Doom 3, AA, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein without using the developer friendly wine.

GuiGuy
September 23rd, 2006, 10:59 PM

I have to to stay with Windows because I do like my 16X DVD burner to work at 16X instead of 1.68X, which is the best I have ever managed on Linux. Although, I think I saw 2.5X briefly once :razz: And yes kiddies, DMA is on, 32 I/O is on, hdparm.conf has been tampered with many time etc.

regards

Orin
September 24th, 2006, 04:53 AM
I've got windows on my desktop for gaming purposes, but Ubuntu on my laptop.

MacPC
September 24th, 2006, 05:26 AM
As bad as Windows is, it's hard to think hat Linux will replace Windows any time soon.

I consider myself very computer savvy, I use both Mac and Windows, and I just started to learn Linux. I found that Linux is extremely confusing. Granted that I am new to Linux, I am still learning. I can say that the confusion level is worse then Windows. For example, it involve so much CLI, let's face it, except for the CLI die hards, get real and face it, how many average users have the time, the patience or the will to go though this process? In this GUI age, people come to except that when they turn on the computer, everything they want are few clicks away, who would want to go through the headaches to search for the correct files in order to edit it? It cracks me up that, Linux users laugh at Windows, come on, if Linux wants to beat Windows, Linux would have to do better then that. I am no friend of Bill Gate and I can't wait to the day everyone in the world ditchs Windows and switch to Linux and Mac, before then, not that I want to, but I will have to stick with Windows. On the ease of use scale 1 to 10 (1 as the best.) I will give Mac OS X a 1, Windows a 6, Linux a 9.

MacPC

got_nix
September 24th, 2006, 05:33 AM
100% ubuntu linux user. not a trace of windows on my notebook (only computer i have) i used to dual boot but i rarely ever go into windows so i figured hwy waste my space so 120gig hd all to ubuntu. I dont play video games on my computer i got consoles for that, i'm a webappdeveloper so linux works for me.

croak77
September 24th, 2006, 06:55 AM
As bad as Windows is, it's hard to think hat Linux will replace Windows any time soon.

GNU/Linux is not a Windows. It's not a replacement for Windows. And it's not trying to beat Windows.

envisionthestorm
September 24th, 2006, 04:09 PM
almost.... I have my main pc now entirely linux, it does ALMOST everything I need it to. I just have a second lappy with windows on for video editing cos so far thats the only thing linux struggles with that I need

GordonWright
September 24th, 2006, 08:49 PM
The laptop is now 100% Edubuntu though there are times I wish I'd kept a windows partition. There are a few holes in the available plug ins for browsin (notably Shockwave). I'm sure over the next few months that these will be sorted.

Phatfiddler
September 24th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I had always known about Linux, but had personally never dealt with it. About 2 weeks ago, I had a sever malfunction with XP-pro...missing drivers, booting issues etc, so I saved important files on my external and completely reinstalled from a fresh format.

After almost 2 days of installing, rebooting, updating then repeat, I had the most up-to-date XP-pro will all updates. Then what happened? It crashed less than an hour later, on a fresh install! I just said screw it, and compleltey formatted and installed Ubunutu. I found it by using the quiz at linux.org or something like that. It has been a rough start with about 4 reinstalls because of errors on my part (learning the terminal and playing with settings), but each install took less than 45 minutes so no big deal.

I am a big gamer as well, but I have a seperate PC on which i run XP for FEAR, QUake 4 etc etc. So far, Linux has been a fun experience and I doubt that I will ever switch back to Windows, although a MacOS X dual-boot may be in my future.

Grisen
September 24th, 2006, 10:36 PM
I'm on a two month old dual boot (two drives) together with Win 98 on the desktop, and just XPpro on a newer laptop. I've put a l o t of time into this...

Frankly media in Ubuntu is driving me **nuts**. Just want to do basic things like receive audio/video streams, play mp3 files, other various file formats. Totem with gstreamer didn't work right, switched to xine, tried mplayer, tried EasyUbuntu (my request for support on their site is still unanswered) then went to BUMPS and that didn't install and the designer doesn't have time to give me any tips on WHY.

Don't mean to be a whiner. Many things I like about Linux on first try, like open office, lack of virus attacks, fairly friendly community, free applications software like Gimp-- worth hundreds of dollars.

However, in addition to media (still not working with most file types) gaining access to my FAT32 drive from Ubuntu was a l o n g process. Learning to navigate to directories in terminal (or even File Browser!) has not been easy-- still don't really know what I'm doing there.

I like the idea of leaving the Microsoft world. I'd frankly like to migrate to open source completely, even on the laptop.

Windows is just plain easier to dive into. Even with its problems, Windows is as accessible (with the exception of source code) to a person as s/he wants it to be. One can easily learn incrementally. Ubuntu has not been like that for me. There seems to be a huge speed bump to get over before you get over the feeling of being a total idiot.

Anyone who can recommend resources to make this easier, hey, please message me...

croak77
September 25th, 2006, 04:08 AM
Frankly media in Ubuntu is driving me **nuts**. Just want to do basic things like receive audio/video streams, play mp3 files, other various file formats.

Take a look here;

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Mrmental
September 25th, 2006, 10:34 AM
I first started using linux (Knoppix originally.) when my agp card started to fail in my first year in uni. I couldn't afford a new graphics card, and windows would crash at random. So a friend put me on to knoppix, just as a way of using my pc for a while and being able to type my work.
A week later I had re-partitioned my hard drive and installed knoppix, rather than using it from livecd. The after I got a new card, I decided I wanted my eye-candy back and full 64bit support, so I went to Debian x64. After Debian, Kubuntu, which is my current system.
I still have a Genuine Windows XP disc somewhere. I use it as a coaster.
I love the configurability of linux. I love the fact that I can set up my computer so simply that even my technophobe mother can check her E-Mail. I like the fact that it's free. I like a powerful CLI. I even like WINE.
I like the Ubuntu project because it's a really easy way to get people switched on to Linux.

Rhubarb
September 25th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Ubuntu has been my main OS for the last 6 months, when breezy was around. Now I don't even have a dual boot setup.
I'll have to confess that I do like to poke around trying new and different OS's, like vista and osx, and a few linux distros. But this is generally a brief hobby that lasts a few days. Then always back to Ubuntu.

Ubunutu has effected my standards and patience with other proprietary OS's:
I just get sick of DRM, long installation times (to restore XP on my 2 month old laptop, it takes 4 hours!?!?!?!?!?!), updates, general uselessness of the OS from a fresh install.
My only infantesimally small gripe is that OpenGL for UT2004 doesn't look quite as good as the DirectX version (headlights on the vehicles look better).
The other gripe that I have is that I would've paid for an XP licence with my laptop when I bought it a few months ago, I could've saved some $$$'s.

Eggbanjo
September 25th, 2006, 09:01 PM
after checking out the ubuntu live disks (ive used redhat and mandrake in the past but never got to grips with them) i learnt a few basics with the disc and thought 'screw it'
I knew that if i dual booted or kept a windows box around i would get lazy and go back to windows, so i went full cold turkey and installed xbunutu and kbuntu on 2 machines. Teething problems, but thats more to do with the indoctrinated use of windows.

Doubt ill ever install windows on my personal systems again, but being a windows sys admin, guess i cant get away from it totally!

WalmartSniperLX
September 26th, 2006, 02:01 AM
I did. Win is GONE

mayonaise15
September 26th, 2006, 06:20 AM
I made the switch complete about 2 months ago. Once I got World of Warcraft running with wine, the only Windows that I use now is on my Pocket PC. I'm working on changing that, though. :-D

[h2o]
September 26th, 2006, 07:46 AM
I still have a Windows partition lying around to play Civ4. Apart from the occassional gaming (about once a month) I use Ubuntu. So I would consider myself totally converted.

Tominator
September 27th, 2006, 02:10 AM
I don't have Windows on the machines I use, i do have access on the wife's computer. I'm a Linux novice so I use the Internet primarily to try to make my Ubuntu work better for me, lol. I made the switch last December.

linuxuser28
September 27th, 2006, 02:53 AM
It's about 50/50 for me between Ubuntu and Mac (I only use windows occasionally at work). I think over time I'll be 100% Ubuntu, especially if I get the 56k modem problem solved.

mdsmedia
September 27th, 2006, 03:37 AM
I tried RedHat a few years ago, but only really tinkered with it. It was too hard. I've been a Linux fan for years, without really being able to use it.

Then last October, on a 6 month old laptop, I decided to give dual-boot a go with Ubuntu, but right from the start I wanted to replace XP. I'm not sure if it was XP or Konfabulator, but I had a constant 80% RAM usage, and I was just sick of it.

So I tried the Live CD and just loved the look and feel of it. I didn't understand how to fully use the Live CD and save files etc, so I just toyed with it for about half a day. Then I found some instructions (step by step) for installing Ubuntu alongside XP.

Right from the start I was determined that if I could do it in Linux I would use Linux rather than XP. My next step is to make room for VMware and install XP in Linux. I need it for my tax software which is Windows only (I'm in Australia, and a tax accountant, so US online tax software etc doesn't help me), although I haven't tried to install it in Wine yet. Another project, maybe?

But I find I'm learning to do more and more in Linux, and always looking for ways to do things in Linux that I still boot into Windows for.

I love the Linux and FOSS philosophy and I'm willing to suffer a little pain now and then to maintain and extend my independence from Windows.

mdsmedia
September 27th, 2006, 03:50 AM

I consider myself very computer savvy, I use both Mac and Windows, and I just started to learn Linux. I found that Linux is extremely confusing. Granted that I am new to Linux, I am still learning. I can say that the confusion level is worse then Windows. For example, it involve so much CLI, let's face it, except for the CLI die hards, get real and face it, how many average users have the time, the patience or the will to go though this process? In this GUI age, people come to except that when they turn on the computer, everything they want are few clicks away, who would want to go through the headaches to search for the correct files in order to edit it? It cracks me up that, Linux users laugh at Windows, come on, if Linux wants to beat Windows, Linux would have to do better then that. I am no friend of Bill Gate and I can't wait to the day everyone in the world ditchs Windows and switch to Linux and Mac, before then, not that I want to, but I will have to stick with Windows. On the ease of use scale 1 to 10 (1 as the best.) I will give Mac OS X a 1, Windows a 6, Linux a 9.

MacPCFunny that at post #1388 in a thread about who has completely switched to Linux, someone comes in with a post on which is the easiest, whether Linux will ever replace Windows, etc. There are plenty of threads out there about that topic. Why hijack this one?

KeithCu
September 27th, 2006, 12:34 PM
I have Windows (installed by IBM) on my laptop, but I never boot into it and haven't for months.

I have Windows on my server, but it also runs Ubuntu and my website, keithcu.com, so it also hasn't been used in months.

Once Ubuntu is setup, its as easy to use as Windows. Using a computer is different from administering a computer.

Gotterdammerung
September 27th, 2006, 02:51 PM
I have no choice at work, but at home I use only Linux for almost 5 years.

sgbeamer
September 27th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Switched completely in late 2002. Turned off my w2k box and never looked back. I still have Crossover Office to run my old version of Microsoft Office but only use that for work stuff since OpenOffice version 2.

Free_As_In_Freedom
September 28th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Maybe I'm a little OT but is there any idea about converting CorelDRAW files in a 100% compatible format that I can edit on Linux? Or a way to make it work under wine? This would be my last step to reach complete freedom...:-k

sysyphus
September 28th, 2006, 11:37 PM
I use Ubuntu exclusivly at home our other pc with my stepson uses for games runs win98

I used to use that a wee bit for running ocr software and photoshop but have got WINE running happily on my laptop so no more windows for me - well apart from where I'm studing which runs just about every microsoft OS from '95 up, OS/2 and Redhat using VMWARE

Narzuhl
September 29th, 2006, 05:49 PM
I have played with Ubuntu, Redhat, Suse and so forth. Ubuntu is the best for what i need. I run Xp and 2003 at work because i have to and i have yet to find something to connect to SQL 2005 to program it, but i have a Ubuntu running on VMware for everyday. At home i have Ubuntu on my laptop and on my main pc it is XP (sigh) i am a gamer. I am resintalling my box to run Unbuntu and will run the games i like either natively or via Cedega. or if i must i might dual boot with a small partition into windows XP. But with windows Vista comming out soon, i have zero desire to dish out more money to MS. I am just amasing the information on the programs i need to replace everything i use in Xp now. What ever i do not find i will live without. Now if i can just convince work.

macogw
September 29th, 2006, 06:04 PM
As soon as I got my own computer I went straight to Ubuntu without a dual boot. When I use my family's computers, I use Windows XP though. I might switch two of the computers to Ubuntu so I can make one be a server and one be a test box.

My main use of Windows has been asking my roommates to let me look at the control panel so I know where to tell people to click when I'm giving tech support (I am the floor's tech support now, it seems). I'm tempted to take screenshots of all the menus and save them so I can just look at the dialog boxes' images instead of having to find a Windows computer to do it on all the time.

usamamunir
September 29th, 2006, 11:03 PM
i have completely thrown windows away. i never thought a Linux Desktop experience could be this awesome.

pgatrick
September 30th, 2006, 02:42 AM
I'm 100% linux.:cool:

Albi
September 30th, 2006, 03:31 AM
I use ubuntu 90% of the time right now, but I still need windows for some things (eg games that won't run on cedega, capturing video from this pci card which Kino doesn't recognize)

online14230
September 30th, 2006, 05:50 AM
I just purchased a Dell Optiplex GX150. Last night, I installed Ubuntu 5.04 (Hoary) because I have the Addon CD and I dont, and never will, have net access on the box. If I could persuade someone to point me to a freedom toaster or at least show me the way to istall extra multimedia codecs for Dapper, Ill upgrade. Ill NEVER install XPain on ANY machine I own. Im forced to use it here at work, so I know its downfalls... Im sending this particular reply via work, and this machine has crashed twice in 6 hours :(
I need help.

xpod
September 30th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Ubunto is now in solitary confinment upon this here pc.
He`s got a kubunto pc right next to him for company though.:D

There is still a mild strain of windows up in the kitchen but it will be given the antidote at some point im sure:twisted:

xboxbman
September 30th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I switched to Ubuntu on my birthday in June and haven't looked back. No wine, no vmware. Just pure Linux. I could never go back. I troubleshoot my friends PCs with windows on it and it drives me crazy. The only thing it's lacking is games, but I have xbox, ps2 and gamecube for that. Long live Ubuntu!! It is the future........

NewRubberSoul
October 1st, 2006, 12:49 AM
I can't believe that this thread has been going for almost two years!

About 8 months ago I had some issue with XP where it wouldn't boot up. I had to reinstall xp but couldn't find my original disc. The result was that I went with Linux. I'm actually really happy that I lost that xp disc, now I'm 100% ubuntu.

I used Suse 10 for awhile, but wanted to see what Ubuntu was all about. So far, I like Ubuntu better. I honestly don't think that I ever want windows again. You're just so limited with it.

Plus, when you look at the long term picture, open source is where it's at.

TheHH
October 1st, 2006, 01:01 AM
I still use windows, because I have a HDTV with a 6600gt card and I can't get to underscan the image, on Obuntu the edges are cut off.. I have read about it and it looks like there is no way to get the screen fix to fit the normal 16:9 size of my 37" hdtv..

That is the only thing I have windows for, Nvidia drivers have a fix for this on windows..

Hope I could underscan the image and say good bye to Micro$oft, so I'll keep on wating for this!

gb7055
October 1st, 2006, 01:59 AM
I use ubuntu 98% of the time now. I use Windows to access HP Scanjet 3970. There are no device drivers that I know of for it.

jeffreyldavidson
October 1st, 2006, 02:04 AM
I installed Ubuntu cold turkey two months ago, leaving Windows totally behind. I have been very happy. Most all my problems have been resolved by carefully researching these forums.

The most difficult job was getting my printer to run off of a print server connected directly to my wireless router. That was a bear and finally found a solution just today.

So now, Quicken 2006 runs fine with Wine (the only Windows probram I had to have) and I can print directly from my laptop to my network print server.

Only one more task...IPod. I cannot reformat it and it appears to have a trash directory full that I cannot free.

I know that I will find the solution eventually and then I will have no regrets leaving Windows in the dust.

JLD

hirotani
October 1st, 2006, 05:23 AM
I stop using windows about five years ago. I went through Slackware, Suse, Redhat and ended up for the last 2 years with Debian. I installed ubuntu on a partition on Debian machine yesterday after I read an article on. My main machine, however, is a mac. I found that while I could do anything on my linux machine that I wanted to do - I also found that anything concerned with digital media took me more time than I had available to get going. My own ignorance being the primary obstacle not the linux software. I also found that with mac osx everything I had learned and developed (with a bit of recompiling) on my linux machine was useable on my mac and on the mac - digital photos, music, movies etc. just - worked with no effort.

I still now use both machines, my linux box is primarily a server (lamp, file etc.) but I run x on it now and again. l enjoy using the environment and am always impressed by the community in the linux world. But for those who work and want their cake and eat it - I also recommend the use of a mac with a ubuntu servier - they really work well together.

GliderMike
October 1st, 2006, 05:31 AM
I use XP on one work machine (my laptop) and even that is set to dual boot with Ubuntu. Everything else is Ubuntu and has been for about 2 years. On and off with various Linuxi for several years prior to that.
For my personal machines, XP (nor anything else MS) will ever taint my hard drive sectors again.

Grisen
October 8th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Take a look here;

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats
Restricted Formats was one of the first sites I referred to in configuring for multimedia-- thanks, anyway.

Thynizpt
November 18th, 2006, 01:15 AM
i have and love it, couldnt have had a better thing done to my machine, hats off to a great suggestion by a great friend.

Thynizpt

kylevan
November 18th, 2006, 01:32 AM
I've been using 6.10 exclusively pretty much since it was released. It was the first distro to have all my hardware working (including my SD card reader!) on my laptop other than having to apt-get 915resolution.

I still have the XP partition right now, but I'm probably going to gparted that into oblivion and move my home directory onto that 60GB during the winter break from Uni.

Of course, my family's 3 other windows computers keep me on my toes...

DJ_Peng
November 18th, 2006, 01:53 AM
I decided to dump Windows a few weeks ago and tried a couple other flavors before turning to Ubuntu. So far I'm pretty happy with it, although as a tester for Mozilla I've decided to use their builds for Firefox 2 and Thunderbird 2.0b1pre. The only time I use Windows now is on another computer to do a radio show for a 'net only station three days a week. I'm working on getting it to work in Wine, but it's being slow going (I really need more RAM in this old box).

My only regret is that I'm really dissatisfied with the web design programs available. I've given Nvu a try but it doesn't like PHP pages and I've recently noticed a ton of blank lines in HTML pages it touches. I've a Dreamweaver user for the last six years so maybe I'm spoiled. I'm going to try to find a version that plays well with Wine because it's the one Windows program (other than SAM Broadcaster, my broadcasting software) that I find is a must use program for me. Okay, I may add Fireworks since I'm so used to it, or maybe PageMaker, although I already own a few install discs for Fireworks in my Macromedia Suite discs.

I'm already working on trying to move a couple of friend over to the Linux side, but theyu're hard core gamers that need Windows for their games. Maybe I can get them set up under Wine and steal them away from the bugfest from Redmond.

DJ_Peng
November 25th, 2006, 05:06 AM
I thought I'd post an update. I ended up dumping Nvu in favor of running Dreamweaver under Wine. I found a great tutorial (http://blog.publicidadpixelada.com/2006/09/04/how-to-dreamweaver-and-flash-8-running-on-ubuntu-dapper/) that let me grab both Dreamweaver and Fireworks from the Windows comp I used to use. The only thing I'm missing is Spacial Audio's SAM Broadcaster which I need for the Internet radio show I do three times a week, but I'm hoping to tackle that particular problem this weekend.

I'm very glad I made the switch from Windows, and I'm even more glad to have found Ubuntu. I look forward to the day that I can stop using Windows for any reason.

cantormath
November 25th, 2006, 05:15 AM
I have completely switched to Linux.

I do have one XP box for help and support, usually via cell phone, but I am switching clients to ubuntu more and more everyday.

My entire family uses linux (ubuntu and SUSE) and they love it.
:D

tomcheng76
November 25th, 2006, 06:08 AM
I am not. I am Gamer and sometimes i need to use visal studio
however, other time i will not use windows anymore.

argie
November 25th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Only one more task...IPod. I cannot reformat it and it appears to have a trash directory full that I cannot free.

I know that I will find the solution eventually and then I will have no regrets leaving Windows in the dust.

JLD
Ah, wait, I had a similiar annoyance with a usb drive. Look for a folder called ".Trash". Then delete that, if you're using Gnome, you'll find View->Show Hidden Files useful there (I don't remember exactly, on KDE right now)

Robert.Zapata
December 6th, 2006, 06:55 PM
My personal machines all run Ubuntu (see signature) being trying to use Linux and cut with ******* since the old Caldera and Slackware days (early 90's) but never satisfied with all the hassle of installing & configuration and going in and out back to *******.
In another attempt to cut with ******* I even bought a copy of IBM OS/2 Warp...!!! Looked promising but a total lack of software available then last year I discovered SuSE 9.0 and seems to worked fine but not 100% to my satisfaction (picky, picky and with a short attention span), then SuSE 10.0 came out and worked 95% out of the box in my Toshiba notebook (my main machine) I was very happy but still some tweaking here and there, then at distrowatch.com I started noticing that Ubuntu was at the top of the list and started researching about it. I got v5.10 but do not like it more than SuSE 10.0, then I got 6.06LTS and everyhting worked 100% out of the box in the Toshiba box. form that point I installed Ubuntu 6.06 in my desktop and 6.10 in the Lenovo box (wireless never worked until I installed 6.10).

My wife's machine (Pentium III 650MHz) was using a pirated copy of *******XP ProSP2 and always crashing and due to the ******* Genuine Software tool M$ found that I was using an invalid serial key and stop performing the upgrades...!!! I installed SuSE 10.0 and worked very fine but no good replacement for MS-Money 2006 that wife use a lot. So went back to ******* but this time installed a legal copy of Windows2000 Pro that works very fine and no issue with the upgrades.

Unfortunately at work due to my job function, from my 5 computers, 2 use ******* XP Pro, 2 use Windows 2000 Server and the fifth computer (used just for web surfing and personal stuff) runs with Ubuntu 6.06LTS.

FractalBrain
March 14th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I have mostly switched (2 months ago) from Windows and Mac OS, but I am tethered to both by MS Word and Endnote, which I am running in a virtual machine. OpenOffice seems promising, but I am using the "outline" view of MS Word to the fullest and OpenOffice Navigator doesnt cut it for me. So, I have somewhat switchedish.

Simon Bridge
March 15th, 2007, 08:38 AM
3 things keep me using xp on my laptop:

my canon i850 printer.http://www.turboprint.de/english.html
http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/howto/CANON-I850-CUPS
alsa is not supported on my sound card(cause it sucks) Have you tried esd? Which sound card?

Bear
March 15th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Two laptops with Ubuntu only.. :)

use a name
March 15th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I don't use windows anymore, but I still have it around, just in case I really would want to play that game I also have somewhere... (does it count?) Otherwise, it all went a whole lot faster than I imagined it would go. :) No regrets, no looking back.
The only thing windows does better is wlan in my case, but yeah right, I'm gonna boot into windows to download a file needed under linux? I rather plug in the lan cable (which I've kept long enough, just in case...)

thesoothsayer
March 15th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Me! Since about 6-7 years ago but I'm new to Ubuntu. Was using Redhat and Fedora before this, and I still have Fedora on my lab's machine.

jjasonj
March 25th, 2007, 04:01 AM
i switched to ubuntu 3 weeks ago and after 3 days i took windows off my hdd,i still dont know how to install anything but all i do is play ut2004..:confused: :)

Andrej_BB
March 28th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I have completely switched about 3 months ago, when my windows machine crashed. I was using dual boot for another 4 months before that.

lawrens
March 28th, 2007, 07:31 PM
I probably won't totally switch to Linux, I'm kind of a noobie and I tend to like messing with things, linux's flexibility is one reason I'd keep messing with it, I like playing around with things, even I don't boot into xp nowadays, it is still my 'backup' os.

Also I paid for XP, so I'm going to use it til it is obsolete...

Xp is also for gaming needs, but if however games are starting to move to dx10 and vista only, I'll quit pc gaming once and for all and move to linux or osx, I only really play a few games here and there and I don't find the need for dx10+vista since I'll need to upgrade hardwares for that, also I really only play games with friends anyway and some of my friends aren't as big as a geek as me when it comes to computer, they don't actually care to upgrade computer just to play a shooter.

However I doubt every games will be vista only not til another few years, so I'll be keeping my xp until then, and with the "20million sales" of vista, it is highly possible another Windows OS along with even more multimedia/gaming features to be out sooner than we thought by that time, I'm pretty sure MS would like to implement even more of their windows/mediacenter/xbox/mediaplayer connectivity functions, if vista isn't dominating the gaming/media market, they'll most likely try again til you are, but from statistic, I think they are.

MrEgg
March 29th, 2007, 09:08 AM
I'm seriously looking into it! I'm new to Linux : I've tried openSuSE 10.2, and am currently with Ubuntu 6.10, and I'm very happy with it. I'm still using XP though as I still have quite a few issues unresolved at this point, like migrating my accounting software from XP to Linux, being able to use Excel & Access vba under Ubuntu, and my bank secured application which is currently ******* only (but that could change, as I hear). Also looking for a media center solution (LinuxMCE looking promising). And to be really perfect, my scanner would have to work over the network, as it does under xp (Epson Aculaser CX-11NF, which I use wirelessly with my laptop). After all of these issues are resolved, I don't really see what would be holding my back, and that would imply that I would make the switch over at work as well (having the TCO drop is always welcome isn't it). I'm quite hopeful this is only a matter of time.

tzramsoy
April 6th, 2007, 11:23 AM
I am running 100% Ubuntu at boot, but am dependent on Windows for only a subset of programs, such as SPSS (stats software, ease to use and share files with colleagues) and E-Prime (psychology presentation software).

I could wish, however, that the support for 64-bit machines improved. There is still a lot of software that doesn't work properly, or can install at all. Flash is a good and simple example: it's easy to see how lost you are if your firefox doesn't have Flash installed. Had to hack myself to an IE / wine installation with flash.

Also java doesn't really work -- crashes my machine every time.

But anyway, I decided to use ubuntu full time after a virus destroyed my previous IBM Thinkpad with Windows. The only thing that could re-install was ubuntu, Windows restoration (both from disc and CD) crashed. So I'm trying to "sell" ubuntu to everyone, so far with good results, check out the blog post (http://brainethics.wordpress.com/2006/11/14/ubuntu-the-ultimate-altruism/) I made.

Cheers,
Thomas

slimdog360
April 6th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I can't remember if I have posted here yet but I have completely switched to Linux. Well at home at least. Well sort of at least, I still have XP on my laptop but thats just because I couldnt be arsed changing over the hdd, maybe on the weekend.

josephus
April 6th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Haven't completely switched yet, but Ubuntu is my primary os for the last 6 months.

The funny thing is I do go back to Windows every couple of weeks. Why? Because I need to make sure that XP is up to date with its security patches.

sushii.
April 6th, 2007, 03:52 PM
The first time I installed Ubuntu was right over my (pirated, lol) Windoez Vista. I didn't even know anything about Linux, I was just getting sick of Vista.

MrHorus
April 6th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I run Linux exclusively at home with the exception of my mobile phone - it has the misfortune of being Windows Mobile 5 based but it's reasonable enough for what it is :)

DarkStarAeon
April 6th, 2007, 08:23 PM
That's a tricky question for me, I code for all OS's so I have several.

But, Ubuntu is my primary OS. I use it for everything on a daily basis.

I have a computer with two 250 GB hard drives, Ubuntu 6.10 is on one, PC-BSD 1.3 is on the other.

But I also have a 60 GB VMware image of Windows XP for testing (it's 60 GB because I had to leave room for all the patches, bug fixes and other "updates" and "required" softwares).
And I have 10 GB VMware images of openSUSE 10.2 and Fedora Core 6.

When I start up my computer though, I always go directly into Ubuntu. I have the Microsoft Programs I needed running happily on Ubuntu using CrossOver Office, so I don't need to use XP except to test web pages in IE7 and a couple other little things I rarely need to do.

Here's a little tour of my setup...
http://www.itcamefromtheinternet.com/temp/captures/mydesktop.html

For me, learning to use Linux has not only been worth it time wise, it's also helped me save a fortune on software. It can be frustrating at times learning something new, but once you get used to it, it really is better. The best advice on how to avoid frustration is to make sure your hardware is compatible before you install Ubuntu.

I have a laptop with XP, but it's so I can hook it up to my lcd flatscreen television and surf the web from my couch. It's nice when they tell you on a show to go to their website for more info, I just hit "PC" on my remote and I'm online. But again, all I'm doing with it really is surfing the web.

My wife uses Ubuntu too, she is not tech saavy and she has done fine so far, 6 months into it. She much prefers it to Windows. She has a dual boot configuration on her desktop computer too, Ubuntu on one drive, XP on the other. She only has XP still so she can use her Samsung MP3 Player software, and that's it, lol.

We have absolutely no intention of ever getting Vista. Ubuntu works for us, and we only still have XP for a couple things we could easily live without if we had to.

SunnyRabbiera
April 6th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I am 100% under linux now, see no reason to use windows.
sure there are annoyances under linux but nothing wine cant handle

M$LOL
April 6th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Me. :D The only time I'm ever gonna touch ******* again is in a VM.

j0nes
April 6th, 2007, 09:27 PM
I started with Red Hat 7.3 back in 2004, a friend gave me a copy to play around with. At that point i had very little linux knowledge and was a little intimidated. For the next couple years i mainly used Live distros like Knoppix, DSL or whatever i could get my hands on just to gain more experience.

I've been Ubunting now for a month and have no plans to ever go back to Wind0ze.

I would have switched sooner, but my Broadcom 802.11 onboard wifi card was always a hassle to get going under linux... It seems to work fine in Ubuntu as long as i don't have the cable connection running too.

slider2800
April 7th, 2007, 04:53 PM
not completely, but getting near.
At home i am only willing to use Ubuntu. I'm tired of windows.
Sadly, at work we can't switch yet. But hopefully in a couple of months...

bran
April 9th, 2007, 05:00 AM

for me its my campus wireless networking that keeps a windows partition on my machine. That said I am stillin Ubuntu 95% of the time.

jariku
April 23rd, 2007, 08:02 PM
I deleted my Windows XP installation (and the useless PQSERVICE diagnostics partition) from my laptop today and now I'm 100% Linux. :)

If I need Windows for something, I'll just set it up in Xen or VMWare. So far, I don't think I really need it for anything, since all my hardware is working fine in Linux.

lakersforce
April 23rd, 2007, 08:21 PM
I started out having Ubuntu 5.10 as a dual-boot on my machine. But at the time I gamed a lot so I practically never used it. When reaching 6.06 I decided to get rid of my XP partition, and that went fine...for a while. Unfortunately I found out that I can simply not live without XP because my courses at college requires me to use it for some programs. I initially installed XP on a virtual machine, but that sollution is just too cumbersome, especially when you use ressource heavy programs. So XP is back on my harddrive and it will proberly stay there forever. I just got fed up with re-installing it everytime I had to use it for my studies.
But I dont use it for gaming anymore. I get my gaming needs satisfied on Ubuntu (through wine...either its wine or no gaming at all). And for my everyday computer needs I use linux. And thats actually a very nice sollution, because ever since I ditched the games, webbrowsing and torrent use from windows, I have ditched my anti-virus program too. Believe it or not, its just not neccesary anymore and Windows have never run better.

gashcr
April 23rd, 2007, 08:30 PM
I woke up a morning and said to myself... "No more M$!!!". I never used XP, I was using 2000 for a while because I needed some working on 2000 server for college... but once I got rid of that... bum, get out of my PC, freaking damn devil's stuff. I couldnīt stand it anymore. I never used linux before for my PC, but what the hell, it couldnīt be worse than what I had... and guess what, no partition, no backup... I just told Ubuntu installer to take everything for him and till now, no regrets, 100% satisfaction!!! 0% M$!!! Even my family is getting to love the PC now... some time ago they didnīt even stopped for a while in front of it...

Tiwalun
April 23rd, 2007, 08:49 PM
I recently deleted my Win XP partition and since then I only use Ubuntu.

If i need Windows for something, I just use it at school.

samael_
April 23rd, 2007, 08:51 PM
i REALLY, REALLY, want to convert to Ubuntu, compeltly... But, well, since i am a gamer i still need WinXP. Hopefully they release DX10 to XP so i dont need Vista...

Whenever i get the chance i will completly erase Win from me life...

Kunstar
April 23rd, 2007, 09:10 PM
I haven't booted my XP in over a month now....there just doesn't seem to be any need for it because Ubuntu is such a complete system.

Tmi
April 23rd, 2007, 09:15 PM
Got rid of my last dualbooting when Feisty was released. No more Windows for me.

naughtywill
April 23rd, 2007, 09:33 PM
I am officially free from MICRO$UCK$ as of today. Damn it feels so good to be free! Xp crashed on me no less than 10 times in the past month. Dell customer service is a flipping joke and I finally grew tired of their utter ignorant stupidity and took the plunge today. It sucks because I am a hardcore gamer and now I have to try and do what I can do with Linux, but I can take retarded as*holes that have very little clue what they are talking about only so long. No matter, I will be getting a Mac next month and this machine will be just a supercharged PVR/TV entertainment console any damn way. It does feel so freaking awesome to be free and without worry now.

TheNewbie
April 24th, 2007, 04:39 AM
I have officially switched to Kubuntu Fiesty. I had Windows Vista Home Premium before this and Kubuntu is a heck of a lot better. Go Kubuntu!

steven8
April 24th, 2007, 04:48 AM
I have officially switched to Kubuntu Fiesty. I had Windows Vista Home Premium before this and Kubuntu is a heck of a lot better. Go Kubuntu!

Bam! :guitar:

paker
April 24th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Couldn't get internet security suite working in Windows 2000. Out of frustration, tried Ububntu Edgy. Have been hooked since then (4-5 months ago). Now Feisty.

matchstich
April 24th, 2007, 05:29 AM
i was going to go completely ubuntu
and put another linux distro on my 2nd box
but after the last xsane update my scanner quit.
i need to have a scanner so, i have windows on another machine to scan with.

killaray
April 24th, 2007, 05:38 AM
i've been on ubuntu since ive joined these forums... totally loving it and erased my windows partition when i installed it...

yabbies
April 24th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Been strictly with Ubuntu for 4 or 5 months. Since building my first computer. Still have XP on my laptop but I haven't used my laptop in 2 months. I miss MOH but Cube 2 and Action Cube have staved off that addiction.

DJiNN
April 26th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Still using Linux (Both Ubuntu & Xubuntu mainly) full time, and have been for about 2 years now, but i still keep my XP partitions on most of my machines. Why? Because in my experience it's good to have a backup that you're familiar with in case stuff happens (& it does happen) and also because the music software in Linux doesn't match what i'm using in XP (Unfortunately).

I don't think i'll be getting rid of my XP partitions anytime soon, even though it may be weeks or months between booting into XP for some reason or other. But who knows? I think the time is fast approaching when i'll be able to ditch XP altogether.

One thing i won't be doing at all, is upgrading to Vista! :)

Raedwald
April 26th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I pretty much switched a few years ago. Initially it was SuSE (but thanks to Novell not any longer!) then Ubuntu. I keep the main three machines dual-boot with XP for a couple of reasons.

The Laptop because, until Fiesty, ndiswrapper was "unpredictable" on whether it'd work, and the wireless connectivity was sometimes needed. I've not bothered rebuilding it since Feisty install from a Beta meant it worked.

The main system because I play the occasional game (NWN/NWN2/Civ4). That's all that's installed on it. Everything else is done under Ubuntu.

The "dev box" because that's what it is - dev. It's as close as possible built like the main system (even though a much lower spec). So I always upgrade that first, just in case anything gets screwed up.

There are 2 programs I need to use that're Windows-based. One is MS Publisher (I can't find anything OpenSource wise that will read/process Publisher files) and a Bible Study/Reference package. This latter used to work under Wine on Edgy but for some reason under Feisty it doesn't (either upgrade or clean install of O/S or application). So these two programs are accessed under a VMWare XP partition running under Ubuntu. :)

B. Gates
April 26th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I've downloaded a copy. Might install it here at work, see what the others think of it. If it's good enough we'll replace the corporate systems with it.

-Bill

Zero Prime
April 28th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I wasn't planning on it anytime soon, until a lightning storm crashed everything on my PC. It didn't come with a backup copy of Windows and the restore function wouldn't work correctly.....Soooo..in went Ubuntu forever and by it's self. Boots much faster now to.

JerseyShoreComputer
April 28th, 2007, 04:19 PM
I use Linux almost 100% for personal use, and I'm trying to push it into work. But we still use Windows at work - we need Adobe Creative Suite, Dreamweaver, and stuff like that. Who knows what will happen when Ubuntu Studio comes out???

Ripfox
April 28th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I have been Ubuntu only for at least 8 months...can't remember. When I use windows it makes me cringe, really seriously. It feels like I am using a toy computer for children.

Splify
April 28th, 2007, 04:28 PM
I was messin' with Vista Ultimate and locked myself out of my PC (permission denied). I had an Ubuntu disk (PCplus) so i tried it and it installed. I was surprised as I had attempted to install SUSE in several flavours over the years without success. Having used Ubuntu for 2 months now, i am happy with it. I badly need a games fix though (gone back to gamecube) any help with games would be greatly appreciated. If i can get games sorted, Bill and his windows will never see me again.

jkzubu
April 28th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I am about (estimating) 85-90% there.

I still need xp for two primary things. I absolutely need Acrobat for scanning documents to pdf and, in many cases editing those .pdf documents. I am exploring the Linux options for these tasks, but quite frankly, the current status of Acrobat on xp is about as efficient as these processes can get for my needs. Linux alternatives are not there yet. I would sure like to see Acrobat ported to Linux - (which should be relatively easy ?? seeing as Acrobat has been running on OSX for some time). I also have problems with my document feeder and scanning multiple pages in Linux. Again, I am looking into the Linux alternatives. If I were only a programmer!

The second task I will continue to use XP for is income taxes. I am just not ready to completely commit to the full-online option for completing income taxes and I prefer the control I have over the process by using a desktop application.

Washi
April 29th, 2007, 02:24 AM
I only have one thing stopping me from a total switch away from M$ and thats one application I have to have installed for work :(, I work for a Safety company retail etc, and we use MYOB Premier 10 Accounting software, I have it running under wine, however I have to figure out how to mount a Samba share and integrate it into Wine before I can dump windows, as the datafile is stored on a windows machine. Downside is Ive been trying to do just that for 3 weeks now, no success yet, without that im stuck with a windows install for work. Im 100% ready to switch once i get it working.

guitarmaniac
April 29th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Linux still has a long way to go. I suddenly realise this trying to get my girlfriends family to use Ubuntu (because its unethical to use a cracked version of XP and Microsoft might track them down :wink: )
I've been windows free for almost a year now and I've really struggled to stay with ubuntu, I love it but I still manage to break it on a regular basis. At the moment I occasionally get a kernel panic at boot and have to restart and my GDM has to be reconfigured EVERY time I boot otherwise it hangs at login.
I bought a slimline PS2 at Christmas time and have been stocking up on cheap games now that the PS3s and XBox 360s are out, so that settles my gaming needs but theres still the little things leaving me wanting.

Tundro Walker
April 29th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Wow, 148 pages...you should really turn this into a poll...

0) Thought about it, but decided not to try Ubuntu
1) Tried Ubuntu...went back to Windows
2) Dual-Boot...hardly ever use Ubuntu
3) Dual-Boot...use Windows 50%+
4) Dual-Boot...use Ubuntu 50%+
5) Dual-Boot...hardly ever use Windows
6) Ubuntu all the way, Baby!

euler_fan
April 30th, 2007, 12:03 AM
I keep XP on my lappy just in case there is something I desperately need to do and it can only be done on windows. I usually give presentations from my windows install because I know there won't be compatibility issues with projectors that way.

Otherwise I have completely switched over for everything else.

shane4stef
April 30th, 2007, 12:50 AM
UBUNTU 100% for 1 year now....had to dual boot at first...mostly for the wife over something as silly as messenger....as she started getting used to ubuntu and amsn she started booting straight into ubuntu and even started hating windows....These forums have been a great help and I feel like part of 1 big happy family. Without these forums and everyones help and guidance I think I may have been stll using windows (just a little though)..

SO....THANKYOU TO EVERYONE ON THESES FORUMS.....I LOVES YA ALL...lol:lolflag: \\:D/

bobbybobington
April 30th, 2007, 05:03 AM
I just switched several days ago, and ubuntu is incredible. :D Hopefully i can steer clear of any programs that require windows. Mostly everything I do is on the web, so it shouldn't be too bad.

jiminycricket
April 30th, 2007, 05:39 AM
I ended up switching completely because I really like the Mac Menu bar, see here (if you want it, just search the forums for "mac bar" or "Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications! "):
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6968/screenin3.th.jpg (http://img405.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenin3.jpg)

LookTJ
April 30th, 2007, 05:42 AM
I use Linux for everyday use.

I deleted Windows when I installed Ubuntu 6.06 because I don't play computer games as much as I do with consoles.

phidia
April 30th, 2007, 05:42 AM
I never used windows except at work.

n0dl
April 30th, 2007, 05:51 AM
The day i got an ubuntu cd about a year and a quarter ago i dropped windows like a paralyzed fly hit with a horse tranq and its wings pulled off. I dove right into linux cold turkey

onegreenparker
April 30th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Switched completely about 2 months ago.
I am not a gamer so that's no biggie.
With Vista requiring some serious h/w upgrades and the cost of Vista itself, I was simply not able to afford it.
Also, these forums are awesome! I am no PC or Linux techie by any stretch of the imagination, I simply look carefully in the forums and I know I will find the answers.

TitanKing
April 30th, 2007, 10:46 AM
100% moved over now,

With Feisty Fawn the following worked "out the box".

1. Wireless Lan.
2. 3D Drivers.
3. Codecs.
4. Windows Networking.
5. Printer Networking.
6. All my wine applications...

So, I have no reason to use the pest infested Microsoft products :) !

apricot
May 9th, 2007, 10:54 AM
I still use windows, 'cause i have problems on Ubuntu with my Winfast 2000 TV card.

samjh
May 9th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Completely switched two months ago.

The whole process took just over a year. Finding the best alternatives to Windows software, etc. Eventually I ran out of activations on my copy of Windows, so I just got rid of Windows entirely. I didn't want to buy Vista, and had no reason to buy it either (neither work or uni has adopted it yet).

Pros:
Good community
Free
Less worry about malware
Less privacy issues when using software
Usually fast patches to problems

Cons:
Sometimes bad multimedia codec support
Few high quality games
Inadequate documentation on most software
Less stable than properly-configured Windows
File and application compatibility with Windows

rai4shu2
May 9th, 2007, 11:12 AM
I've recently erased Windows on all my machines. I found myself not using it anyway, so what's the point in keeping it?

YoungCthulhu
May 9th, 2007, 11:53 AM
I installed Dapper last September on an old HP Pavillion and started to fiddle around with it. I have always wanted to try Linux and I asked our SysAdmin what was the best distro. He advised me on Ubuntu. I installed it as a dual boot system and found I had more fun on the Linux side than on the Windows 2000. As expected I ended up using Linux more and more.

Even though I am not a tech I was able to sort out a couple of major driver problems with my Wireless router (under Dapper Drake), thanks to the excellent Ubuntu Forums.

I agree fully with onegreenparker (see post above) in that it pays to read the forum posts and call for help if you ever need to do anything. The main strength of Ubuntu is the community.

One thing lead to another and I bought a new Pentium Core 2 duo box in February. Since bringing it home it has never had another OS on it other than Ubuntu 6.10 and now 7.04. It's rock solid, goes like a rocket and I have not missed Window's intrusive and stupid presence.

Everything would be fine, except for MathCad, which I use at work (I'm a structural engineer). It's a great program and I use it extensively but it is only available on the Windows OS. Reading up on the forums, it doesn't seem to work well under WINE. Perhaps I should fire off an email to MathSoft telling them to support the Open Source community. That would really make them sit up and take notice! :lolflag:

Cheers all

dpmccoy
May 9th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Linux 7.04 only, with Windows XP through VMWare for exception programs.

I love Linux! I started out with OS-9 Levels I&II [Unix-like for 6809-based systems] in the 80's, Unix in college, and then Red Hat Fedora/SuSe/Mandrake/Mandriva, and, finally, Ubuntu.

Isaac_x
May 9th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Yeah, chiming in with the rest of the freaks and weirdos. I use Ubuntu exclusively on my PC. Try sorting out ten thousand files automatically with Windows or OSX, why don't you. It's the GNU tool-set rather than the actual kernel that I care about.

Celegorm
May 9th, 2007, 10:47 PM
I just switched over to Ubuntu as my sole OS last week, and I love it! At first I was just excited that it wasn't windows, because I really dislike Microsoft's monopoly and all the annoyance with preventing malware in windows, but I also really love open source things and I like being able to use the command line. I'm learning to program too, and I love Linux as a coding environment, partially because I always used it in school for coding and got really comfortable with compiling things from the command line, and I've never really learned to use any IDE sufficiently to take advantage of all its features. I may be a geek, but I just really enjoy using Ubuntu and playing around with the settings and learning to do new things. The greatest thing about linux is the freedom, and not being tied down to a single OS or distro, and being able to look at the source code is downright nifty.

ceelo
May 9th, 2007, 11:12 PM
For all intents and purposes I've switched over. I still have and probably will keep Windows on this system because at the end of the day it's the most widely supported OS out there and may prove useful in certain situations. Plus I still can't get my printer working in Linux yet (yeah, it's a Lexmark ](*,)).

I installed Linux for the first time back in February and have spent about 98% of my time there since then. I've only gone back to Windows to get files (before I found out about ntfs-3g), print, and one time I had a really big issue with my internet connection, and my ISP wouldn't help me from Linux (see, situations like that). Otherwise, I've pretty much made the switch. There really are no apps on Windows that keep me there as I mainly used open source stuff there or programs such as Limewire which are Linux-compatible. ĩTorrent was the only missing piece, but then I found out about WINE. :guitar: I have actually come to enjoy many Linux apps more than the Windows equivalent (i.e. Amarok > iTunes). I love it here. :)

Tux Aubrey
May 9th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Of six (yes 6) computers in my home:

One high-end AMD desktop is Ubuntu only (18 yr old music and chat addict)
One high-end Pentium desktop is Windows XP only (22 yr old on-line gamer and DJ)
One old P3 desktop runs only Ubuntu (with fluxbox) - my toy for using lightweight distros etc
One 3 yr old desktop runs dual boot XP and Ubuntu (but it is now more than 3 months since it booted to Windows) - this is my main machine.
One 4 year-old pure intel laptop runs Ubuntu only (defenestrated two weeks ago)
One 4 yr old Toshiba laptop runsdual boot XP/Ubuntu (XP used by 18yr old for gaming and Ubuntu used by wife for photo work)

Unfortunately I have no option but to use XP at work.

http://ubuntuforums.org/g/images/167727/1_Defenestration.GIF

Eclipse.
May 9th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I have almost did it completely.Once you find your way about linux it is great.Games are the only thing keeping windows on a partition.

beast2k
May 9th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Of six (yes 6) computers in my home:

One high-end AMD desktop is Ubuntu only (18 yr old music and chat addict)
One high-end Pentium desktop is Windows XP only (22 yr old on-line gamer and DJ)
One old P3 desktop runs only Ubuntu (with fluxbox) - my toy for using lightweight distros etc
One 3 yr old desktop runs dual boot XP and Ubuntu (but it is now more than 3 months since it booted to Windows) - this is my main machine.
One 4 year-old pure intel laptop runs Ubuntu only (defenestrated two weeks ago)
One 4 yr old Toshiba laptop runsdual boot XP/Ubuntu (XP used by 18yr old for gaming and Ubuntu used by wife for photo work)

Unfortunately I have no option but to use XP at work.

http://ubuntuforums.org/g/images/167727/1_Defenestration.GIF

Hmmm, defenistrate.. sounds like something that happens if you dont use the washroom for a long time.

Kevanx
May 10th, 2007, 12:24 AM
I'm running in wuss-mode (Dual Boot) but haven't booted in XP once since I got my FAT32 file partition set up, and moved my fonts across. If things keep up as great as they are with this OS, I'll probably get rid of Windows altogether.

souldances
May 10th, 2007, 02:04 AM
i'm in my first week of ubuntu only, after doing a good bit of research as to whether i could access my fat32 files, network with a winxp machine in the house, etc. i had some experience with command line stuff from when i investigated and bought my first pc 20-some years ago (dos 5 & win3.1, which i had to purchase separately, luckily i was a student so i got a hefty 'discount' - woohoo). i had been using winme, having refused to 'upgrade' to the less flexible, more intrusive versions of win along the way. after micros**t stopped all support for winme, i decided to say f**k micros**t. a little investigation showed that ubuntu and other open source stuff will do all i want and need, to the point that i had no reason to keep winme on my machine, so i wiped it all and went totally ubuntu. it's been great overall, with the few things i've had to grapple with a little being about equivalent to the grappling i've had to do with micros**t garbage anyway. i still have a good bit to learn, to be sure, but so far no regrets - i'm very happy to be micros**t-free. :)

goumples
May 10th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I kept a small (50gb) winxp partition just to play Guild Wars, and a few other games now and then. I use Ubuntu 7.04 (450gb partition) for everything else, including movies, music, pictures, email, internet, etc etc etc