PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

brim4brim
April 14th, 2006, 12:14 AM
I will probably always have windows installed for programming/games but I have plans to switch to Ubuntu as my primary OS for work, once I get a stable Internet connection in a rented house or in other words, after college when I get a job.

threethirty
April 14th, 2006, 01:58 AM
all of my rigs are strictly linux, a mixture of distros, but all linux. the only WinXp boxes in my apt. are my girlfriends but even one of those is a dual boot (Fedora Core 5 and XP).

Xilon
April 14th, 2006, 09:23 AM
I'm using Ubuntu 90% of my time for a couple of days now. I still need a good replacement for uTorrent, Adobe Photoshop, Konnekt, foobar2000 (Listen is pretty nice though) and a few others that I havn't actually searched for yet (Notepad++). When uTorrent and Konnekt (will never happen) get ported, I will definitely switch 100% and maybe try using GIMP (I hate the GUI:-& )

Am installing Apache, PHP, Mysql atm so I can hopefully continue developing my websites on Linux, I have noticed a few problems with fonts and font sizes in terms of the CSS :)

esteban2x
April 14th, 2006, 01:01 PM
I started running Linux about 10 years ago. I quit and now recently, within the last two weeks, I've been running Ubuntu. Windows ALWAYS crashes eventually. I had been running win98 for the past three years. It got so slow, and I did all the maintenance etc, it would hardly run. Finally, it crashed bigtime and I said **** it. I'm off to Ubuntu. Of course there is a learning curve but compared to Win, it's screaming fast.

Goatee
April 14th, 2006, 02:15 PM
I think that the person who said K3B wasn't as good as Nero was wrong because my ubuntu disk burnt fine under K3B but Nero messed it up. Also I like the verify written data function, it allows you to test your disk so when burning distros USE IT!:mrgreen:

macdo
April 16th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I only use Windows XP if I have to translate stuff in Trados or SDLX, and send trados/sdlx files back. Otherwise, it's all Ubuntu, Gnome on the desktop and KDE on the laptop (mostly because KDE is less frightening if somebody is thinking of converting and asks me to show them).
Games? Wesnoth, and even then, rarely. My G/F is hooked on the default Gnome games, though - even though she uses Windows (graphic design - Photoshop is what she knows..) I haven't given up though!

Dambrosio
April 16th, 2006, 03:11 AM
I have decided to switch from Windows to Linux full time. It's a hard step since im a noob but i think in the long run it will pay off.
L^3
Long Live Linux

caaron
April 18th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I would be 100% linux but.... FFXI has me hooked lol and it still won't work in wine so windoz must stay for now oh and Chessbase9 and Fritz9 yes I'm a big chess player and when you pay that much for software you need it to just work. However on my laptop I only use linux oh and my GF is ummm not good with computers so I don't want to confuse her seeing that she only uses windoz at work. So my baby is stuck on windoz for now a Dual Xeon system suffering from XP :(. Thank the gods I have my new laptop :D

funkyade
April 19th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Been using Lx since RH7. Have a selection of BSD, Gentoo, and Ubuntu/Debian boxes. Run Ubuntu on PPC machines.

Hate ******* with a passion... My partner had to switch after I refused to do yet another reinstall of windows after it trashed itself (or got trashed!), and refused to try and recover another word document that had been corrupted. Not happy that I ended up having to refuse to support her anymore, but we've got lives, and linux just works, is safe, and fast...

Dr. Feelgood
April 20th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Windows crashed on me for the last time a few months ago. I've been soooo fed up with Microsofts crap that I jumped into Linux with both feet. I had been wanting to learn it for a while now and this was my opportunity. Ubuntu is the one and only OS on my laptop and I'll never go back.

Abandon
April 20th, 2006, 07:58 AM
I switched full time to Linux on the 3th of december 2004. Never missed Windows for 1 second. Been using Red Hat 7.3/8/9 Mandriva and since october 2005 Ubuntu. I also made an dualboot Apple Powerbook with Ubuntu (Dapper Drake). Never use the OSX features ;-)

aktiwers
April 20th, 2006, 09:56 AM
There are no more Windows PC's in my house! The 2 PC's we have here, are both running Ubuntu, and are staying that way :)

T31
April 20th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Here one more! I got a mini g4 and has no mac os x anymore and planing to build me a GNU/Linux media center so I will have a 2nd computer this time x86 and with no ms-windows on it :) for at least the 10th part of the cost of the windows equivalent using old pc pieces ;)

T31
April 21st, 2006, 06:40 PM
cost of windows media center here around 1350e

cost of my LHMC with by far less hardware requirements

mobo abit nv7m bought in ebay------------------------------20.25e
micro duron 800 (option to use my old 1700+ k7)------------5e
ati all in wonder rage 128 32mb bought in ebay-------------10e
hdd samsung spin series 80gb (I already had)---------------0e
slim dvd burner (auch)-------------------------------------50e
standard tv remote controler and usb irda------------------7e
memory 768mb ddr 266mhz (I already had)--------------------0e
box hipergroup it really looks like a slim dvd!!!!---------87.5e
cpu cooler spire really thin but 27db :(-------------------5e
silver paste for the cooler--------------------------------2e
================================================== =========187e

I dont know how looks for you but for me looks like 1163 euros cheaper ;) and looks gorgeous, we are just playing films watching pictures checking weather and in the future telephone VoIP ;)
Who would need a p4 dual core with 2gb mem for that, if it is not for run the heavy bloated windows?

ops I forgot the soft cost? ubuntu-minimal+mythv(in the ubuntu repositories) GATOS driver mmmmmm 0 euros? and the security your system is as safe as you want to

I said I save 1163e?! :cool:

zaddik01
April 22nd, 2006, 01:10 AM
I have been using Linux personally for about 4 years. I have been exclusive to Ubuntu for the last year. I am forced to use windows for my job, but since I have moved into Java, I am trying to push for a desktop test program!!

da5id
April 22nd, 2006, 04:28 AM
Surely you jest. The Ubuntu DL page leads the AMD64 AB user to to the AMD64 BB 5.10 edition. Don't Linux users read? See the gory details here. (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=158821)

--Completely Disgusted

PS: I am beginning to believe the typical Ubuntu expert is either knowingly dishonest or unknowingly dishonest, i.e., out of touch with the reality of the average PC enthusiast. It is unfortunate because the latter group comprises the largest pool of potential Ubuntu converts. The prevailing attitude of the experienced Ubuntu user seems to be, "I got mine . . ." :(

bartekk
April 22nd, 2006, 12:30 PM
I've made the switch ...

No more Window$ for me, at work there is still Window$ but I'm trying to get them to switch as well

richbarna
April 22nd, 2006, 08:41 PM
I have had a windows dual boot with various Distros for about 5 years, only now do I spend all my time on Kubuntu.
I use windows for Dvd Shrink, Dungeon Keeper II, and printing.
As someone said before, I just don't feel safe on windows (expecting crashes and virus attacks).
Kubuntu for me is as complete as it can be for free, I still can't believe that all this is FREE, amazing.
I'm sure that printing, gaming, DVDing issues will be sorted out in the near future, then it's bye bye windows for good.

airtonix
April 23rd, 2006, 06:38 AM
I'm using Ubuntu 90% of my time for a couple of days now.
:p cool maybe these will help you move over 100%

I still need a good replacement for uTorrent, Adobe Photoshop, Konnekt, foobar2000 (Listen is pretty nice though) and a few others that I havn't actually searched for yet (Notepad++).
:-D you want rTorrent. trust me, checking file hashes is cpu intensive enough with a friggin gui to worrie about. plus you can run it in another user space....

For Photoshop, all i can say is stop being a pansy and learn gimp(joking).
:-D Seriously though, jumping in the deep end is the best way to deal with obsticales in the future....for I had the same attitude about the interface, and when i realised that I dont really need the things that photoshop gives me, for I am not creating stuff for print on RIP printers and so-forth, neither am i creating stuff for CMYK production, so GIMP is perfect, you just need to rearrange a few neurons and engage that wonderful adapability thingy trait that humans have used to get this far in life. check it out ....adapting its a great concept.
:-kif you really have to have photoshop, get crossoverfoffice, apprently it allows photoshop to work flawlessly in linux. but im used to inkscape and gimp now....so much so taht photoshop is unusable for me.....lol

foobar2000, welllll XMMS?......or you can install wine, and get foobar going, i had no problems whatsoever getting winamp 2.95 running, maaaannnnn i even had the AVS studio cranking.....which i absolutly looooveee (blursk fir xmms doesn't cut it.). so yeah if i can get winamp going, then you shouldn;t have many problems getting foobar going.

next up notepad++, In fact i used this prog when i could'nt get it together with linux....but i'd much rather use emEditor, except its a commercial product...but kicks ****..!! anyway, some alternatives are : bluefish (1st choice), Nvu, Screem, Leafpad, Nano or as a last resort Gedit.
Many will tel you to use gedit, but it takes awhole minute to load up, whereas leafpad.....just like notepad for windows except it has line numbering, and boots up fast.

When uTorrent and Konnekt (will never happen) get ported, I wi
ll definitely switch 100% and maybe try using GIMP (I hate the GUI:-& )

not sure waht Konnect is...a instant messanger? but you want to check out rTorrent. there is a post here somewhere that steps you through the process of installing it.8)

Am installing Apache, PHP, Mysql atm so I can hopefully continue developing my websites on Linux, I have noticed a few problems with fonts and font sizes in terms of the CSS

Excellent, i suggest you look at drupal 4.7 rc2...its the roxors...lol

im have a fair abount of experience with websites using html and css and javascript, in fact i recently jumped back into javascripting this time using the prototype library, or the mochikit.....but yeah i noticed a few differences.

This is mainly because, your fonts arent the same as the ones you get with windows,](*,) get a font viewer...download the msfonts package and examine the linux and windows one in a font viewer to see the exact differences....

tip: instead of

.className{
font-family:Arial;
}
make sure you put

.className{
font-family:arial, sans-serif;
}

trying to control 100% of the visual appearance of a html page is heading towards the realms of diminishing returns.....once you acknowledge the amount of effort you have to go through just to accomodate IE, you quickly find that better time could be spent on making it actually usable in all browsers instead of making it look hot-damn in only one browser....
Its a concern of mine since i make websites for the non-profit community, which often include organistations centered around disabilities, soooo making a site usable is my first concern.:)

hope that helps, not aiming to offend here...just passionate about my new toy.

airtonix
April 23rd, 2006, 07:07 AM
ohh and the difference of appearance when it comes to fonts on windows and linux, becomes more apparent when you start basing element widths and heights and font sizes on EM's.

and em is a unit of measurement that is relative to the current font-set.

so if your sick of site layouts where text content keeps bleeding over the edge into never never land.....investigate using EMs......

ohh also, you can tie the value of 1em to 10px by specifying a font-size of 10px on the BODY element.

trivialpackets
April 23rd, 2006, 12:52 PM
I am! Not by choice. Tried to install dapper beta. Hosed entire drive...But there goes my excuse of not wanting to lose data. It's lost. Even convinced the wife to let it stay gone. Just have to have PCLinux on there as "her OS"

eeried
April 27th, 2006, 08:18 AM
I switched to Linux starting with Libranet 2.7 about 2 or 3 years. I'm no expert at all.

I don't miss Windows a bit and am well rid of it. I miss one small app: Tom's e-text reader -- ought to write to the author of this excellent ebook/e-text reader (and editor) or install wine.

I want to try another distro now but I'm looking forward to Dapper.

Am installing Apache, PHP, Mysql atm so I can hopefully continue developing my websites on Linux, I have noticed a few problems with fonts and font sizes in terms of the CSS

Make sure you give your visitors a good range of fonts: Arial is ugly actually ;) compared to Bitstream Vera sans, and verdana for M$ is much better but looks too big. Add sans-serif at the end of your list of fonts in your CSS so everyone will have some decent font (their own choice set in their browser, for instance).

And yes, no fixed size but em or % should fix the problems.

As for people missing Photoshop: sounds a bit like a joke. GIMP and Inkscape do the job and GIMP can be used by beginners too (I am one of them; nevr used Photoshp myself) Many people in my country at least use it illegally and become addicted to it. Why not use free software in the first place?

Linux is great but restricted audio and video formats are a pain!

Shimmy
April 27th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Been using ubuntu for some month now, completely windows-free.
I've been having some trouble setting up my ati dual head to work properly with different resolutions on the screens, still does'nt work as i want it to.
Another thing that irritates me is the gui-perfomance, resizing windows is slow, firefox is worst.

Now using windows makes me feel sick, the fonts are so ugly, in ubuntu the font rendering is awesome.

Can't wait til dapper final is out!

keirnna
April 29th, 2006, 08:24 AM
I am Windows free at home, but I have to use Windows for work. I love Macs and Mac OSX, so I doubt I'll ever totally use Ubuntu. However I have Ubuntu on my other four computers.

outoforder
April 30th, 2006, 07:30 PM
itunes is the only reason why i still have a windows xp box. it would be the best day of my life if apple decided to port itunes to the linux plattform.

_simon_
April 30th, 2006, 07:41 PM
I moved completely today and formatted my XP partition.

My other half keeps complaining that her windows explorer in XP keeps crashing when she tries to browse files.... I put an ubuntu cd on her desk and said nothing lol

kleenex88h
April 30th, 2006, 10:02 PM
I just switched to ubuntu on my laptop maybe 2 weeks ago. I've had a lot of fun learning to use linux, and now that I've actually done it I wish I had switched a long time ago. However, I still have win98 on our desktop and my wife has win2k on her laptop. I keep win98 because winxp thinks it knows exactly what I want and automatically does it. Win98 is much less automated, and I'd like to keep windows on one machine.

keirnna
May 1st, 2006, 03:03 AM
itunes is the only reason why i still have a windows xp box. it would be the best day of my life if apple decided to port itunes to the linux plattform.

You know that crossover office has a piece of software that lets iTunes run on a linux box right?

Pimpity Snicket
May 1st, 2006, 08:26 AM
I had completely switched for a while a couple years ago... I had my main pc dual booting but for a while I wasn't ever using Windows and I was using arch linux solely on my old p2 laptop. I've gone through a few systems since then and run into hardware issues so I havn't used linux in sometime but I just put a box together which I've 'switched' to linux and if I can get my ATI drivers working on my laptop I'll dual boot and use linux most of the time.

dark_ruler_of_freebees
May 2nd, 2006, 09:38 PM
i am currently using win xp 4 compatability (DO NOT LECTURE ME ON WINE) but i plan to completely switch to ubuntu within a week
:KS

public_void
May 2nd, 2006, 10:50 PM
Still duel boot because I need Visual Studio for university and play games. I don't think I'll even more to Linux 100%, maybe one day though.

donovan1983
May 3rd, 2006, 09:53 AM
Late last week I had enough of Mac OS X and installed Ubuntu (Dapper Drake Beta) on my iBook G4, wiping OS X off the drive. Within the last day I got my data moved off my HFS+ formatted external hard drive and am now moving it back on after formatting it to ext3. It's pretty safe to say I don't plan on going back to OS X soon. I got tired of not being able to run the software I wanted on OS X. For a Unix-based OS it sure had fewer useful open source applications ported to it natively than Windows, and it annoyed me that I had to use Microsoft Office and that the GIMP didn't run very well. Not to mention OS X just feels sluggish all the time, even despite the 1.25GB of RAM I have in this machine. All my hardware works, it's easy enough to use (about the same as OS X overall), and I'm happily running the software I want on it.

This is far from my first time with Linux or Unix-like operating systems, too. Since early 1999 I have played with or ran Minix, RedHat, Mandrake, Corel Linux, NetBSD, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Gentoo, Fedora, and Debian at various times on various machines. Ubuntu on my iBook is my first experience with Linux on PPC hardware, all my other experiences were on x86.

Linux was not my first choice to install when I wanted to switch from OS X, though. I checked to see if FreeBSD had a port to PPC and it does not, and the port of NetBSD to PPC didn't have as good of hardware support as Linux. I prefer BSD overall but hardware support is more important than BSD vs. Linux given that they both mostly run the same software. Ubuntu seemed to be the best supported PPC distro and also the easiest to setup and use, although I first tried 5.10 and it didn't work all that well but the Dapper Drake Beta did luckily. Unless hardware support shrinks or something ends up seriously broken, I have no plans to revert to OS X.

Biltong (Dee)
May 3rd, 2006, 11:55 AM
Logged on at the moment using the work P4 using M$ and all the added Gates extras.
Hate it, but then again there is no other email program out there that can compare to Outlook 2003 - and I use it extensively.
After a tough day it is a relief to get back to my Ubuntu only home computer!

bsalt
May 8th, 2006, 07:07 AM
oh i wish i could fully switch to ubuntu. yay playsforsure... yay naziism...

jpepin
May 8th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Ubuntu solely for 6 months now! With a little diligence, I've been able to get EVERYTHING that I need working at the same level as windows, or better.

Azrael
May 8th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Been a linux-only-user since X-mas '04. =D>

[/self-congratulatory silliness]

RavenOfOdin
May 8th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Me, except I keep a XP dual boot on this comp for my Mom.

And atm I have to get the routing information settings from it because my SpeedStream just isn't working. :(

gogomon
May 9th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Im using 100% linux and emu things with wine when i need to like games and stuff. Im satisfied with everything, couple of things need work, but I bet everything will be good in due time. I got everything I had in windows and much more so I'm happy now.

bodhi.zazen
May 9th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Just switched to 100 % Linux (Ubuntu). Run Fedora core 5 and Zenwalk for "education". Last booted Windows XP 2 weeks ago.

Ubuntu does everything and more then Windows. I personally do not game much, but if you want games why not something like X-box??? (just asking, I do not have an X-box either)

Linux has several advantages incluing security and networking/sharing of resources.

Still have my Windows partition, manly because I am too lazy to copy all teh files from Windows to Linux (can access the Windows drive from Linux, Just try to access a Linux DRIVE from windows).

dan4444
May 9th, 2006, 02:35 AM
I made the switch virtually cold turkey about 3 months ago. I have a dual boot system between ubuntu and win xp, but other than in the first 2 weeks to get around some things I was still getting configured in ubuntu, I haven't booted into xp even once. That might have been different, though, if I had needed to print or required sound during that time, both issues I am resolved to get straightened out in my ubuntu installation, ideally within the next week.

josys36
May 9th, 2006, 03:24 AM
I can't completely switch yet because I am still fighting with some windows based apps.

Maybe someday.

Jason

lordofkhemenu
May 9th, 2006, 03:30 AM
qemu, guys. solves those only-runs-in-windows and WINE-just-will-not-cut-it problems.
Has for me, at least... YMMV
The only time I really have to run it is when I need to use some fubar windows/ie/server 2003/someotherMSBS app that my employer requires me to use adnd I'm not in the office.
99.9999999% Windows-free the other .0000001when I do work from home in the above mentioned instances.

jethro10
May 9th, 2006, 09:09 AM
I got sick of trying different didtros on a dual boot PC, so bough a second PC 3 months ago and put ubuntu on it. I thought a proper dedicated system would help me focus.
It's been a hard slog but it's basically there now.
I use it exclusivley and the wife does mostly by choice. She boots her XP PC perhaps one a week now.

Jeff

Macchi
May 9th, 2006, 10:13 AM
My mind and my soul belong completely to GNU/Linux+BSD,
My wallet and my hardware are hopelessly bound to Windows,
My secret love is presently a Mac.

Thus I still have a Windows partition or Windows virtual machine (VMware) stowed in somewhere, just in case my customers call for help.

(SOHO with 6 Ubuntu desktops/laptops and 1 OpenSuSE server)

fozzieb
May 9th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I just switched last week, there are still a few things i miss - google earth ans picasa for a start although f-spot looks good.

I'm willing to put up with the other things as this os feels so much faster and smoother.

lex1
May 9th, 2006, 05:20 PM
switched to unbuntu in feb06 but have vmware on ubuntu server running vmware server beta with win23k

Biltong (Dee)
May 9th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Completely switched to Ubuntu in April.
Was hard at first, but got better once I realised that the were alternates to most programs out there... somewhere.
Finding out precisely what there is is half the fun! :-)

Pierluigi
May 10th, 2006, 11:36 AM
I've totally switched on Ubuntu. No problems with my laptop that is totally configured and perfeclty working. I' ve two distro installed on.
Breezy as production system and Dapper as test with common home partition
Simply great!!!
At home I've a Mac so I'm 100% winzoz free!!!!

lordofkhemenu
May 12th, 2006, 08:59 AM
qemu, guys. solves those only-runs-in-windows and WINE-just-will-not-cut-it problems.
Has for me, at least... YMMV
The only time I really have to run it is when I need to use some fubar windows/ie/server 2003/someotherMSBS app that my employer requires me to use adnd I'm not in the office.
99.9999999% Windows-free the other .0000001when I do work from home in the above mentioned instances. Don't know what I did, but I now have internet access thru qemu with my wireless card.

[edit a few seconds later] had an errant option in my qemu startup script that I wasn't seeing...qemu skipped the error and ran anyway. weird. but hell, I've got intarweb if I need it. Schweet.
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/5069/screenshot7do.th.png (http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot7do.png)

stillingen
May 12th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I want to, but there are still some applications that I don't have under Linux/Ubuntu.
I use Chariot NetIQ (another company bought this product, don't remember the name)for network performance evaluation.
Are there tool that does the same as Chariot on Linux.?
GNU or commercial.

w0lfpaws
May 12th, 2006, 04:44 PM
I would love to switch completely, there are just a few things holding me back
1. Printers, I am using a LInksys printserver, and I can see it on the network, but I cant add a ipp port to print off of it( any help would be great)
2.burning cd/dvd
3.playing dvd,s (none of the players open any movies)?
4.using cakewalk, or similar audio recording /multrack software
5. I am a hardcore gamer, I am not going to succumb to playing outdated games that I used to play on a 64mb vid card, on 56k like 7 years ago.I have a dual-core 64bit SLI beast of a rig,....so for now thats still running 64bitxp

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpfull then I will burn all remants of winblows , :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Masterminds
May 12th, 2006, 06:55 PM
i have switched to linux on my laptop but on my family computer its windows.
i would switch that to ubuntu but i have a problem.
i cant seem to install the driver for the modem on my laptop with ubuntu but can with windows???

jonthysell
May 12th, 2006, 07:21 PM
One week in, and I love it.

pb_
May 13th, 2006, 03:24 PM
im having a ubuntu installation in my office and in my home as file server,with ssh,ftp,web and harddisks for backup i love linux but i cant go to linux and leave windows because i work in a company as a developer with microsoft platforms and .NET language and i cant leave windows when i have to start over from scratch develop in linux when i cant have tools like .NET studio. maybe with monoproject (c#) in the future.

telepheedian
May 16th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Since my windows computer's motherboard blew out, I have been going full ubuntu on a dinky little 800mhz fry's $100 Special. What's even funnier is that under ubuntu, IT WORKS!

nightweave
May 16th, 2006, 02:42 AM
I have completely switched. My wife on the other hand still uses XP.
Only have one thing left to do and that's network the printer. Though I don't have much hope seeing as it's a Lexmark 6170 all in one printer, scanner and fax.

ProjectGod
May 16th, 2006, 03:42 AM
i use windows primarily. i've only used ubuntu for about 1 month. quite impressed. its my first linux distro. even if i get really good with linux i dont intend to switch over completely.

both have its advantages / disadvantages i guess. and it's handy to know how to utilise both OSes. especially if youre working in the IT industry.

i got interested into linux mainly for network administrative purposes. and am quite excited with the potential it has to reduce cost for small / medium sized businesses.

eeried
May 16th, 2006, 08:01 AM
I would love to switch completely, there are just a few things holding me back
1. Printers, I am using a LInksys printserver, and I can see it on the network, but I cant add a ipp port to print off of it( any help would be great)
2.burning cd/dvd
3.playing dvd,s (none of the players open any movies)?
4.using cakewalk, or similar audio recording /multrack software
5. I am a hardcore gamer, I am not going to succumb to playing outdated games that I used to play on a 64mb vid card, on 56k like 7 years ago.I have a dual-core 64bit SLI beast of a rig,....so for now thats still running 64bitxp

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpfull then I will burn all remants of winblows

You ought to search for your queries in the forum but here are a few general remarks

1. Printers are a problem -- true and Linux can be the opportunity of dumping an old or cheap ink printer and getting a laser one.
2. dvds: have you installed dvdread3 and libdvdcss2?
3. burning dvd/cd??? No problem at all (apart from DRM!) do you know k3b?
4. Any thing to do with recording and making music can be found for Linux
5. Not all games for Linux are cr*p -- I know nothing about games though but I've heard of Tremulous, Arkhart, Glest (a bit like Warcraft3) and there are many others -- maybe not your type of games. :-k

Conclusion - main thing to bear in mind: free software and Linux/ubuntu develop very fast and what's not very good or non existent today will be excellent or will exist in a matter of weeks or months.

cheers

crhylove
May 16th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I'm barely using Ubuntu. I can't get any snes emulator to work, and compiz isn't working as well as I'd like *yet* either, so I'm not missing anything in windows *yet*. Granted I went with Dapper amd64, which may be the problem as I'm too bleeding edge, but I'd really like to see some stuff work on this box with Ubuntu and ditch ******* altogether. Hopefully the final Dapper release will do it!

rhY

wetumka_ok
May 17th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Hi, Im new to linux, still having trouble with mp3's I've tried 11 different distros. I finialy decided on ubuntu, I've had several challenges, DVD, MP3 web design software, but ubuntu's forums, and level of help were the determining factors.
I really liked SUSE but I had so many problems trying to get RPM's and DEB to actually work. Excelent work ubuntu I'll never use Microsoft Again!

sulobanks
May 18th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I use Ubuntu almost all the time on my ibook, except when I absolutely need a wireless connection and boot into Panther. This problem will be solved in Dapper. :) Only time I use Windows is when someone hires me to do a job that requires a specific Windows app. And the last time I did this, the start menu and taskbar disappeared, causing me to spend over an hour searching for a solution. Just made me appreciate the stability of my Ubuntu system and the confidence I have that when I boot up, it's going to do what I expect it to do. :) No way I'll ever switch back.

tht00
May 19th, 2006, 12:54 AM
I ditched Windows on my computer for the moment, at least till the start of the fall semester (probably use it for gaming then... nothing more).

Dapper isn't quite the most friendly with dialup internet -- had to do some updates to install software, and 'sudo apt-get update' took 20min.

I'm enjoying being Windows free, though. :D

mraudiofreak
May 19th, 2006, 05:45 AM
I won't be able to completely switch over to linux until a CD ripper like EAC comes along. EAC reads each CD twice to make sure there weren't any read errors in the cd. If there was a scratch it tries to repair it. Great program.

abgis
May 20th, 2006, 11:26 AM
I used ubuntu 90% of the time now. I install ubuntu on my dell c840 and windows in my shuttle box for gaming and watching h264 video. I watched a lot of videos and DVDs so the h264 playback chain me to windows.. :evil:

terje42
May 20th, 2006, 11:57 AM
I won't be able to completely switch over to linux until a CD ripper like EAC comes along.

Try grip! It uses cdparanoia which should do at least as a good a job as EAC.

Tom Tiger
May 21st, 2006, 10:46 AM
At home I still have a windows 2000, only for my filmscanner which Sane doesn't recognizes and for my PDA which has tom tom on it... and for the off game. But my laptops run Ubuntu and knoppix, my main workstation runs Ubuntu 5.10.

At work, in spite of severe critisism I made the cut completly. My main workstation ran Mandriva 2005 (and Mandrake 10 before that) and I've now upgraded it to Ubuntu aswell. My presentation laptop runs Mandriva 2005. My test laptop runs Knoppix 4.02. Also since I'm the sys admin on two of our office testservers I wiped them and put Mandriva on it.

Funniest reaction I got when I upgraded the servers from w2K to M10 was...
"Network is fast today..."

I've been working with Linux of and on since 1996 (Red Hat) but I made the cut at home in 2002. So allthough not completly switched I would say it's a 90 percent switch :-)

LORD_PoLvO
May 21st, 2006, 10:56 AM
i have been using ubuntu for my main for abut 3 motnhs now and i will never look back i wanted to format my wndows but it was on my main hdd and linux was on my slave so i couldnt frmat win but i mounte my win hdd in ubunut and it dosent make ne difference. most of my fav games either run native under linux or run brill in cedega or i am able to find ports for free on the net and for gaming linux is alos a lot faster and more reliable NEVER CRASH IN MULTIPLAYER AGAIN WOOT

kriding
May 21st, 2006, 05:28 PM
I ditched windows after another Trojan horse trashed the install..including all my anti spyware and anti virus programmes...got sick of battling against spyware and viruses so went to Linux

Baf
May 21st, 2006, 08:42 PM
I completely switched. When I had XP, I think ever since service pack 2 came out, the OS as a whole didn't get along with my motherboard very well as it would crash every two weeks or so. So one day I saw my Xandros Linux CD sitting around and popped that in, and I've been with Linux ever since. I only used Xandros for a few weeks though, I didn't like that some features were limited like CD burning. I could only burn at max 2x. So I've been with Ubuntu for about eight or nine months.

centyx
May 22nd, 2006, 03:33 PM
I started using Slackware in 1997. I dual booted w/ windows 98 b/c I was sharing the computer w/ my parents. Once I got the hang of things I started putting Linux on everything I could put my hands on, including 386s ( one of which I used for a dialup 'router' ). I moved from Slackware to Debian in 1999 and used it alone on my servers and workstations until around 2003, when I moved to Gentoo for my desktop ( I wanted a more current distro ). Sometime in 2006 I finally tried out Ubuntu, and with mixed feelings started using it over Gentoo. Two weeks ago I finally blew away my Gentoo partition ( which I hadn't booted into in months, though after backing it up ), to make room for Dapper Drake devel. Somewhere along the way ( around 2003 ) I obtained Windows XP and started keeping a copy of it installed on my wife and my workstations just in case someone needed to use it for something. It's still there, but I never use it. At work, I have XP on a partition as well, though I rarely use it ( Ubuntu 99% of the time ). Linux does everything I need it to do. At work, we run CentOS on our production servers, but my heart's still with Debian ( for servers ). Will I get a copy of Vista? If someone has extra licenses and gives me a legitimate copy for free then I might try it out. Otherwise, I'm not terribly interested.

D!mon
May 23rd, 2006, 12:47 PM
I switched to Kubuntu recently because I was tired of WinXP freezes.. I've inspected my hardware, re-writed bios flash, installed new drivers, tracked motherboard/cpu temperature etc. but it still freezes immediately sometimes!
This never happened with Kubuntu! (well, there was such a problem after clean installation which used nv driver, but once I had installed nvidia driver everything became just cool)

vichu
May 24th, 2006, 12:12 AM
dont know whether this is the right place for this query.
I am trying to replace amac OS9.1 in an apple ibook inherited. I have downloaded the ubuntu for Mac from this website I have a CD with the 600mb .iso file. Are ther any instructions as how to go about installing this?
All my other computers are windows based and I can admit that I am an apple ignoramus and am fascinated by using linux.
Thanks for your help.. you are welcome to send me an email vichux@yahoo.com

NeoGreen
May 24th, 2006, 05:11 AM
I wish I could but I still have to use it at work.:(

jvictor
May 27th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Only Ubuntu :). removed XP for ever !

I get to do all the things i want from it. I dont game so it is not at all an issue for me.

Audio / video chat (openwengo 2.0 beta ng)
Gaim For all except a/v chat
Tapioca ( to talk with gtalk users)
Bonfire to write CD/DVD
Firefox to browse the net ;-)
OpenOffice
Rhythmbox to play music

I use Suns JDK + Eclipse to do my mainstream work.

And ive installed a user agen switcher on firefox to use online banking sites.

Maybe once in a while , we may hit a web page that is written for IE, but we cant help it , and its our duty to take linux to next level where it can be used on a desktop OS. Sooner or later we can find firefox being supported on all sites coz its slowly eating into the ie market

Katin Crawford
May 29th, 2006, 04:12 PM
i cant believe how long this thread has been going!

im completely windows free at the moment. i got a new computer for gaming purposes, but once i installed ubuntu i couldnt get windows back on there. oops! at this point ill probably just buy another sata drive and install windows on it and start playing oblivion again.

mostwanted
May 29th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Audio / video chat (openwengo 2.0 beta ng)
Gaim For all except a/v chat
Tapioca ( to talk with gtalk users)t

You know, Gaim supports Google Talk as well, might be worth looking into.

foenz
May 29th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Taking care of Windows-Computer at work, but at home just plain linux.
Ubuntu is the System I'm using when I'm sitting at home. For remote-administration of the (little) home-network there is a Debian-Sarge to start when I'm leavin for a longer.

I left through the window into the outer world partly 4,5 years ago and wasn't in the box since about 3 years (Origin is a nice Programm but pretty bad replaceable)

Greetings](*,)

Simon Bridge
May 29th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Katin Crawford: Oblivion can be played under cedega.

If you only need windows for one or two apps, then you could consider QEMU - or, a VM like Xen. Then, if not windows free, you can at least keep windows caged.

DarrenB
May 30th, 2006, 09:55 PM
If you really must, and proably got a "free" license with the PC anyway, I've found VMWare vastly more stable for those windows things - well worth the small expense, runs all the stuff i need (since i manage 250+ mostly M$ workstations for the day job). Speed difference isn't detectable, i can hide the fact i'm running Ubuntu if required, and it's more reliable then a "real" PC...............

Kilz
May 30th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Katin Crawford: Oblivion can be played under cedega.

It can? Did they release a new version to make it work?

Dylan103
May 30th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Maybe once in a while , we may hit a web page that is written for IE, but we cant help it , and its our duty to take linux to next level where it can be used on a desktop OS. Sooner or later we can find firefox being supported on all sites coz its slowly eating into the ie market

If thats the case why dont you just emulate IE?
I have Windows on my family comp, and Unbuntu on my personal comp.
Love Ubuntu and planning on sticking with it my life :)

rickc
May 31st, 2006, 05:26 AM
3 things keep me using xp on my laptop(however ubuntu is my main OS for everything else so i use my laptop very little):
Same here... I'm lovin' it thus FAR. I used RedHat 7.x awhile back, but found it not to be a desktop OS Replacement for windows. I feel Ubutnu is. Like many users I wish to game. I have Wine (but like they say Wine is not an emulator) and use some patches for other games, but I'm sure a day will come when LINUX will have a bigger gaming market share...

Thanks UBUNTU Team && peeps who contribute here on the forums.

stjepan
May 31st, 2006, 09:26 AM
I completely switched to Linux too.

Carrots171
May 31st, 2006, 10:06 AM
I've never used Windows XP. I exclusively use Linux on my new computer (1.8 Ghz Athlon XP, 512 MB of RAM, Nvidia 6800XT), and I used to have Windows 98 on my really old computer (Dell, 350 mHz processor, ATi Rage video card, 128 MB of RAM). The only reason I kept Windows was to play Starcraft, but eventually I was able to run it on WINE, so I installed Xubuntu on my old computer and wiped Windows off the hard disk.

I play Starcraft (running on WINE), Doom 3, and Nexuiz, so Linux satisfies my gaming needs.

sophtpaw
May 31st, 2006, 10:48 AM
I made the complete switch about 5 years ago. After an initial dual-boot, just to be on the safe side, i installed SuSE 9.1 my first Linux distro. I quickly dropped Windows like something very unwanted. I just had no need for it.

I was fortunate enough to stumble into Ubuntu as my second Linux distro, and basically it has got easier and easier and easier...

and easier(i could go on a few more times) to completely switch to Linux; and now Dapper is upon us...oh, God life can be good

mrtuesday42
May 31st, 2006, 11:52 AM
i put ubuntu on my laptop...mainly because i didnt have a win98se disk and xp was such a hog that it crashed constantly for noo reason...none...so now i have ubuntu...the only reason i am TEMPTED to put win98se on there is to play some games...if anyone is interested teh specs are 333mhz 196mb ram so you can run ubuntu on pretty much anything...great job folks!!! linux has a lot of potential if developers (for games mostly) would just realise it!

mo_roodi
May 31st, 2006, 11:00 PM
I have tried to make the complete switch a couple of times and can't do it! I do like the convinience of Windows, even though M$ is a complete money *****! In all honesty though I must admin I don't mind Windows as much as some. It's never done me wrong, never lost my data (although it has it's moments) and XP rarely crashes (even though I am running a stupid number of servers and services in the background).

At present I dual-boot and I'm finding more and more things about Linux I like. I'd class myself as an advanced Windows user, but a compelete novice on Linux.

Unfortunately I think I will be keeping Windows around for a little while, if anything just to remind myself that no matter how much you want to screw the man, the man is always there to be screwed some more!

jwh400
June 1st, 2006, 12:46 AM
I eased into Ubuntu in January of this year. I have one desktop and two laptop computers. The desktop is an Athlon 64, one laptop is a Toshiba A20 P4 and the other is an ancient Toshiba P2. Windows XP was on the desktop and Toshiba A20 and Windows 2000 was on the ancient one and I put Ubuntu on the A20 first and used it for a while to familiarize myself with LInux. I really liked it and decided to make the desktop a dual boot system just in case I needed XP but I screwed up the partitioning and deleted XP by mistake but I wasn't too worried since I still had 2000 on the ancient one. By now Ubuntu has become my operating system of choice and I no longer have any need for Microsoft Windows. I'm webmaster of two sites and have my own blog but I no longer have to have a second computer running with Windows while administrating my sites since I am now able to do everything I need to do using Breezey Badger. About a month ago it occured to me the only reason I was starting the ancient Toshiba was to update virus and anti-spyware definitions so I installed Ubuntu on it. It is a P2 300Mhz 170Mb with a 4Gb harddrive. After it was up and running I uninstalled every app I didn't need just to save space and about the only thing left on it is ;

Galeon
gFTP
gThumb
Archive Manager
KoluorPaint
n/Vu
Automatix
KPDF

While it is of course slow due to age, it now runs much faster than it did with Windows 2000. For anyone wondering if Ubuntu is suitable for older computers I think they're not only a perfect match for each other but a necessary match now that Microsoft is no longer supporting the older versions of Windows that are to be found on these computers. An installation of Ubuntu and an inexpensive external harddrive can breathe new life into an older rig.
:D

teyster2
June 2nd, 2006, 08:52 PM
Ubuntu and only looking forward not back. Windows is gone!

LMP900
June 2nd, 2006, 09:27 PM
Well I don't use Windows on my PC anymore, but I still use OS X on my iMac. Does that count as completely switching to Linux?

adamb10
June 2nd, 2006, 11:10 PM
One of these days I feel like wipping Windows off and installing another Distro to toy around with.

DaveQB
June 3rd, 2006, 07:27 AM
I first dabbled in Linux in about 2001.

Took until about 2003 for me to starting dual booting and using Linux (Mandrake) more and more. By about a year later, 2004, I found myself 95% using Linux and only kept Windows for Madden (I am a football fan and player) and for odd things like backing up my Nokia Mobile phone.

Now (Feb 2006) Cedega support Madden Football, the only reason I have XP on my system is for my Mobile phone, so its gets booted into maybe 4 times a year. \\:D/

PS My Mum uses Linux exclusively now (you could say thats more then me :) )

stephen53
June 4th, 2006, 01:05 AM
I have used Linux at home for the last two years. I built my first computer in June of 2004 . I installed Suse Linux as my first experience with linux. It was the sole operating system. My old window box which had windows 98 on it finally failed to boot up so I installed Slackware on it a few months later. I have not used windows since at home. At work I use HP Unix , windows 2000 and windows XP . Windows XP still needs rebooting at lease every two weeks. My linux machines just keep on ticking. I currently run Ubuntu on my desktop , the one that had Suse on it. The Slackware machine is in my closet. I recently bought a laptop with Ubuntu installed on it from a new company System76 . Works very well. The company provides support for software issues as well as hardware issues. Their site is system76.com if any one wants to check them out. The IT Professionals at work would use open source software mainly if Senior Managment would go along with the idea. Like most places we have a mix operating system. I think I have ranted on enought.:mrgreen:

DaveQB
June 4th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Looks like system76.com is a more "beefier" version of www.emperorlinux.com/

Good find.

pat_pfw_23
June 4th, 2006, 03:24 AM
I just wiped off Windows at the new Dapper release. I love Ubuntu. It is so awesome!

yesindeed
June 4th, 2006, 06:50 AM
I finally deleted my windows partition after using linux for 8+ years.

One of the greatest feelings ever.

steabert
June 4th, 2006, 09:36 AM
I used dual boot Windows/Breezy for 6 months now.
With the Dapper release I deleted my Windows partition on laptop.
However, I still have dual boot on my desktop, cause of the games...

mkor
June 11th, 2006, 10:33 PM
I started with linux in 1994 but I still used to have windows until the last year. I switched to linux completely in April 2005.

Monamogolo
June 11th, 2006, 11:55 PM
I am unable to switch completely for a number of reasons -one disappointing one being that when I upgraded Ubuntu over the net everything went wrong, and I can know longer connect to the internet. If I used only Ubuntu, I wouldn't be able to ask for help from this or any other forum.

nowheretoturn
June 12th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Well I for one will be sticking with Windows. Draper is bugging and I have lost so much time getting it to work I am about to give it the heave ho!! :(

NewDisciple
June 12th, 2006, 05:46 AM
My first linux experience was about a month ago. I installed Xandros and duo booted with Windows XP. I had issues with volumn and connecting to my printer. The same week I received my Breezy Cds and subsequently installed 5.1.0. Then on the last day of May just hours before its official release I downloaded Dapper 6.0.6 LTS. When I started with the install I selected the erase disc option for partitioning. There has been a learning curve and I'm still working on my wireless but, I have reached a point where I am comfortable with this version of Ubuntu. You have to be willing to put something into it if you want to get something out of it.

Patrick-Ruff
June 12th, 2006, 10:03 AM
I've been using Ubuntu for about 2 months now, still haven't gotten it fully configured and working...ugh, should be soon though, switching to Kubuntu, much more compatable and fast desktop environment.

rekahsoft
June 12th, 2006, 12:17 PM
I just last week switch to using only linux and i love it....the only thing that angers me is that i can't for the life of me get my ATI Radeon 200M working with the ATI propriatary drivers. Anyway everyone should use linux ;) :)

ikilledclown
June 12th, 2006, 01:33 PM
I got forced to switch completely to linux, mac osx went wrong and when trying to install doesn't recongnise the hard drive, I tryed to partition it and tried to do it manually and ended up breaking it!
Linux runs fine and I'm getting used to it and falling in love with it!
It just doen't go wrong which is a definate plus, thats why I left windows nehind for macs becasue I got fed up of the daily crashes.

I think I will try to install mac osx on again partitioned though because I need itunes for my ipod and I miss dashboard, I used to use it lots!

Oh well, I never knew what linux was, but I'm surprised ubuntu isn't more popular.

jwm
June 12th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Due to requirements at work, I need to use Windows on a semi-regular basis. My first attempt was to install VMware server (now free) and run Ubuntu in a virtual machine. The performance was awful.

So, I decided to take the opposite approach...I backed up my files (from Windows), re-formatted the hardrive and installed Ubuntu (6.06). I then installed VMware for Linux and now run Windows (only when necessary) in a virtual machine.

It has worked well beyond my expectations. A highly recommended approach for those who need to run Windows yet want Linux as the primary OS.

One caveat, getting VMware to run on Linux took some tweaking, so I'd recommended someone with Linux experience be within ear-shot to assist here as necessary.

john

codypumper
June 12th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Pure linux at home. Had no other choice when windows did its thing. Its a word I have not had any reason to speak of till now. Viiiirr...rus..ses.....viruses.

RedBowers
June 13th, 2006, 07:12 PM
I started a few months ago with a dual boot situation. Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux. I have since switched completely to Ubuntu and will never look back. Yes things are a little more involved in the Linux world but I dont have Bill Gates looking over my shoulder anymore. The freedom of Ubuntu is extraordinary and this support group is something that I recommend to everyone that I talk to. How can it get any better than to have an OS that a complete NooB can get help with without the fear of reprisal.:D

Hobitus
June 14th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I still use Windows XP (only few % of my time), mostly for some games. Ubuntu has everything what i need. I feel much more safe under Ubuntu, because i don't need to care if my software is illegal or not :)
And Ubuntu has great community with nice forum, where i can search for answers to all of my questions :D

linuxfanatic1024
June 15th, 2006, 06:59 AM
3 of my desktop systems (Pentium II, Pentium MMX, and 486) have hard drives that are too big for the BIOS to handle, and Windows won't run on them because of that. Well, Linux runs fine on them, and I use Xubuntu on the Pentium II and Pentium MMX systems. My laptop, a 2004 Toshiba Satellite A65-S126, could run Windows, but because I switched OSes largely because of Windows' deficiencies to geeks, I have no reason to run Windows at all.
You have to be willing to put something into it if you want to get something out of it.Ah, so true. A point the mainstream media and anyone wishing to ditch Windows need to understand. You can't just expect it to work like Windows--you need to be willing to relearn everything because it is a different OS.

walterius
June 15th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I want to completely abandon Windows and its software, and use only free stuff. But, lo, I am unable to do so. (Photoshop and more.) So I multi boot to Windows 2000, Windows ME, and Ubuntu.

In the meantime, hardly a day goes by that I don't find some piece of linux software that works as well or better than its Windows equivalent. gparted is an excellent example: it is every bit as good as Partition Magic 8. So I fuly expect Linux to catch up to and exceed Windows one of these days.

OTOH, maybe I will buy a MacBook and run Windows 2000, OS X and Dapper Drake on it. I'd *love* to do that. Besides, I've always wanted a laptop. Yeah. That's the ticket. :---)

Frankly, I am torn between my love of all computers and all OS's and my boredom with *******. Yeah. That's it I am terminally bored.

Murfy
June 15th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Some months ago I still had Windows on my other computer, but since it screwed up 2 hard disks a kicked it out.

mtn
June 16th, 2006, 02:53 AM
MS free for 10 months.

I installed Suse 9.3 about 10 months ago on what was my new AMD64, liked it and started using it for most stuff. Then my Win2000 stopped working for some reason and I just never bothered to install it again. Installed Ubuntu for my dad a month or so ago and liked it so much i wiped Suse and installed Dapper (it had just come out). Have also installed it on my Toshiba Satellite 1800-400. Work great but a bit slow! The only thing I can't do is sync my LG mobile phone. I'm looking at getting another phone though. I like the idea of a Linux based phone that will sync so have been looking about, not found the right one yet though.

remix_tj
June 17th, 2006, 11:45 AM
There was a time when in my home there was no windows (on pc obviously). Today on my laptop there is only Ubuntu and on the desktop pc a little piece of windows 2000 pro, because some exotics softwares doesn't works correctly with wine...

stiankarlsen
June 17th, 2006, 09:38 PM
MS free for 10 months.

I installed Suse 9.3 about 10 months ago on what was my new AMD64, liked it and started using it for most stuff. Then my Win2000 stopped working for some reason and I just never bothered to install it again. Installed Ubuntu for my dad a month or so ago and liked it so much i wiped Suse and installed Dapper (it had just come out). Have also installed it on my Toshiba Satellite 1800-400. Work great but a bit slow! The only thing I can't do is sync my LG mobile phone. I'm looking at getting another phone though. I like the idea of a Linux based phone that will sync so have been looking about, not found the right one yet though.

closing in on ten months myself, dapper drake all the way!

ulwen
June 17th, 2006, 11:16 PM
I have been using Kubuntu for months now. And i don't miss Win exept for the printerpart. Dell aio 922 will never work in Kubuntu... But ... There is other people making printers all day long, that works in Linux, so....

Ps. I started using Linux just before x-mas last year, but i have been working in the mainframe world for some years, and Linux feels like coming home. Ds

And my thankś to all you people developing K/ubuntu....

kevinwl
June 18th, 2006, 02:40 AM
I can not run endnote 9 and acrobat (not reader) on crossover office. that is why I use both. and maybe have to use windows in the future too because some of work has been done on visual C++ (that is a horrible story)

ozgur
June 18th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Today I've had enough of 2 min booting time of a 2 week old windows. Now im only using Ubuntu. That feels nice. I don't think I'll regret.
Long live Ubuntu!

Johnsie
June 18th, 2006, 04:39 AM
I am 100% linux on all the computers that I own and have 20gb Linux on the computers I share.

I outright refuse to work with windows when I can but sometimes it's necessary for me to go on Windows to see how my websites will look to the masses.....

I've had some luck running internet explorer with wine but still.... it's best to see how websites look on as many platforms as possible. Last time I put flash on a website it showed up in Linux but not on windows.

So yeah.. I do all my work on Linux and my testing on other as many platforms as possible.That's Microsofts fault for not sticking to the W3C standards.

chribra2
June 18th, 2006, 07:15 AM
I am completely switched to Linux, it takes a while before i can do so. But now i have for every windows program i need a good equivalent in Linux. My problem was to find a good drawing program for technical drawinings. But with Kivio en Dia this problem is solved. Additional i use in Kivio some extra stencils (for chemical drawings) which i buy on the internet from TheKompany.com. They also sell a program called kiviomp. Which is a more flexibel solution than Kivio.

Regards Chris

psb6m
June 18th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Linux has been my main operating system since 1999. Since around 2000 or 2001 I've not had Windows installed on a home machine. I'm required to keep Windows on my work machine, but I've made that a dual boot and now boot into Windows only to test fonts and the like.

renis
June 18th, 2006, 12:17 PM
i have 2 ubuntu computers and 1 ubuntu/windows gaming computer

firef0x
June 19th, 2006, 02:35 AM
I recently switched, and I'l tell you for sure I will never go back..

k225yt
June 19th, 2006, 10:40 AM
5 years ago I installed Mandrake as a second OS to run some very specialized software which was only available for *nix and mac. Now I'm keeping W-s with the same purpose - to run some very specialized software not yet available for Linux and not working under Wine.

josys36
June 20th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Right now the primary OS on my IBM ThinkPad is Ubuntu. I also run VMWare to run Windows XP. So when I need windows I just use the windows install under VMWare, and then when I want to use pure Linux I can use pure Linux. This will work fine until every app I need is there in Linux.

Thanks!

phantomreaper
June 20th, 2006, 03:49 AM
I have a 2 pentium 3's, 1 P2, 1 P1, 1 286 (yay go 286's):
I have 1 Pentium 3 running MS ******* (the only 1, because I'm a gamer)
The Other Pentium 3 runs Ubuntu 6.06
The Pentium 2 has Edubuntu 6.06 on it (for my little siblings)
The Pentium 1 has Kubuntu 6.06 on it (to see how low I can run Ubuntu :D)

Yep so until Linux/Ubuntu can pull a perfectly compatible Windows-game System out of thin-air I have to stay at least ******* on 1 computer!

Jedeye
June 20th, 2006, 03:56 AM
I have 1 computer... switched from windows to 100% ubuntu about 3 months ago. I got the windows vista beta 2 over the weekend and tried it out for 1 day. back to ubuntu :)

AceRimmer
June 20th, 2006, 04:25 AM
I run Ubuntu on my secondary machine, and Athlon XP 1.8Ghz that used to be my main compter setup. I'll probably put it on my main system to dual boot whenever I get around to redoing my XP Pro install, but I don't plan on dropping Windows any time soon.

fireshell
June 20th, 2006, 09:42 AM
I've been on and off linux for bout 5 years... Been using ubuntu for 4 of them. Kubuntu dapper has improved enough that I didn't even think to wipe everything (inc XP) off my laptop and install it for good. For three months I've had nothing but stability and support. Games, when I play games they are only trivial and for a short time... Do a search through the repositories for games and u find a hell of a lot in there.

As for windows... its on the family pc (I think id get in trouble as noone else is familiar with it) but i dont need to use it anymore except the odd self extract archive. The ONLY thing i cant do anymore is make flash files, but im working on that one ;)

100% KUBUBTU and loving it, many thanks to the developers

MetaMorfoziS
June 20th, 2006, 11:34 AM
I'm using ubuntu [and linux at all] for 3 months ago. My friend tells me about this, before i'm only use debian [installed/configured by my brother] for 2days and switched back... But ubuntu is my first own isntalled and configured linux, i love it and i don't want to change to any other in the future. I switched my father [on notebook], it's same best for my father [for browsing emailing and doc editing] and he uses linux [but he don't know 100% what is the difference...:)]
Both machines have windows, i've booted 10-15times windows at the last 3month, because i want to try some games for a short time, and other...

I wonder about the community in the oss world, first time i booted ubuntu,i joined to the #ubuntu i saw the near 700 peoples who tries to help anybody who entered... [with crap english grammar like me](*,) ]

So linux and oss 4ever.

librano
June 20th, 2006, 12:31 PM
i have been using linux excusively for 2 years now... and i'll never go back to windows... ever...

lib.

PingunZ
June 20th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I dual boot Ubuntu / WinXP
But I'm planning to stop gaming and make photoshop run under wine so I can single boot ubuntu ...
It's just games are so addictive :):p

Grtz PingunZ

Karlgw
June 20th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Like to, but sadly there are several work-related applications that I can only use on Windows. These are Word, for editing complex documents/forms etc and integration with the reference manager Endnote, as well as the collaborative features of Word (Track Changes). The equivallent features of OO writer are just not quite there yet. Also, I have been unable to connect to the Novell Netware servers that I use at work. I'm not an IT professional and the IT support guys at work will only support Windows and, at a push, MacOS.

TitanKing
June 20th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I have been on and off Linux for the last 2 odd years or so, I am a PHP Web developer, and need to test my applications "looks" on both IE and Firefox. There are some graphics tools like PS I need to use in Windows which simply does not work in Linux. I think that Dapper 6.06 is extremely easy to set up and get going, I guess it will be sticking around longer this time. I wish Windows would vanash so game makers and software developers could developing for Linux & Mac more.

But the Ubuntu team has done a great job with everything. Well Done !

I say 2 more years and Linux is the OS of choice !

tsumi
June 21st, 2006, 06:39 PM
My desktop at work has been Ubuntu for over a year now, my laptop has been for easily 8 months, and I guess I can finally say that as of about a week now, I formatted (low level formatted for dramatic effect) the last m$ machine (xp pro) I run (my home gaming machine) and installed 5.10, instantly upgraded to Dapper, and everything works great!

I have helped at least half a dozen of my peers get their feet wet into the *nix world, and a lot of that I genuinely have to thank the Ubuntu team for.

By the by, this is the network monitor I implemented at the place I work:

tsumi@sentry:~$ uptime
12:33:59 up 210 days, 1:29, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

(running 5.04, apache, nagios and a couple other apps)

=D> big ups to the Ubuntu team for all the hard work they put into this fantastic distro.

tbrminsanity
June 21st, 2006, 07:42 PM
I have completely seperated my home and buisness computers. At home I run Win2K (as it does everything that WinXP does but not as "cartoonie") and for my buisness computer I only use Xubuntu (as all I do is program and I don't need a great computer for that). I found once I switched my buisness computer over I was hooked and windows was booted out the ... window ;)

gometro33
June 23rd, 2006, 03:39 PM
I'm trying to switch but I need to play games! As soon as there is better support, I'm all the way Ubuntu (and OS X...but at least it's *nix/BSD)

stevejesus
June 23rd, 2006, 05:27 PM
I used to be a Mac OS 9 zealot. I would use nothing else. After OS X came out, I used Mac OS 9 all the way into 2003. Finally it became too antiquated as did my biege G3. I hated OS X and the way the interface worked. I had heard about gnome... it seemed so Mac OS classic. I fell in love. In late 2003 I bought a celeron 600 eCrapper for 50 bucks as an upgrade to my biege G3. Windows just was not going to happen. I installed Fedora Core 1. I have been using Linux ever since!
I switched to Ubuntu back in October when Breezy came out. I ditched my then Fedora Core 4 install like a bad habit.
Currently I am running Dapper on the following hardware.
1. Athlon 2800+ (2.083Ghz) with 1 GB ram and an Nvidia GeForce 5600xt with 256MB ram.
2. Apple Powerbook G4 (1.5Ghz) with 512MB ram and a Radeon 9700 Mobility with 128MB ram.

Both run Ubuntu exclusively.

stevejesus
June 23rd, 2006, 05:28 PM
ha. Oh i forgot to mention. I didn't stick with gnome for very long. i am a KDE user since 3.2!!

alm129
June 23rd, 2006, 11:31 PM
](*,)

I haven't. My only real problem--for the past six months--is that I just can't get sound to work right. Mame and beep have it. None of the other emulators or media players do. That and my trouble installing new versions of stuff. I tried this compiling thing. It never worked. Wait, I think I did actually manage to compile and install xmame .101--but now none of the games work. Something about "video mode 3."

In my defense, and I need it, I've been away from my PC for most (75% or so) of the past six months, so I haven't had a whole lot of opportunity to fix things.

mduran
June 23rd, 2006, 11:42 PM
Win98 + Mandrake (2000)
Win98 + RedHAt
Win98 + Debian (2001/2002)
Debian
mi new Pc (sept 2005)
Ubuntu + Winxp (only used for update bios mother board and DVD)
Ubuntu only !!!
Now i used wine and qemu for small things

tecie1980
June 24th, 2006, 03:39 AM
My primary machine is running Kubuntu... I still keep my laptop running winXP because my workplace's VPN is windows only at the moment, occasionally I need to do some VB code, and there's the one off program I need to "just work" from time to time that won't run under wine.
If I had the choice, I'd run linux on everything, especially my work machines where I find myself constantly having to remember windows-ese for things that are pretty simple in *nix.

pyros
June 24th, 2006, 10:50 AM
I formated my windows partition and installed dapper on the tenth. No looking back. plus, I don't have to say "arrrr" all the time.

beast2k
June 24th, 2006, 10:53 AM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.
If you realy want to see a game run and run fast dump windows and force yourself to do all your gaming on linux.

leeyee
June 24th, 2006, 11:25 AM
aha...I am!
I have been using it as the only OS on my ASUS laptop for 11 months! Before that, I even did not know what PC is. Fortunate for me that I'm not a gamer and I falled in love with Linux as soon as I knew it.

beercz
June 24th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I have a plan ....

At the office I am going to acquire a 'reasonable' used pc. On it I will install Windows 2000 and all the Windows software and data I need for work.

Then I can remove my Windows partition from my dual booting Dapper laptop!

Bliss!!!!!!!!

The Mekon
June 24th, 2006, 11:56 PM
This machine is an elderly HP Pavilion 510a and recently its original hard disk crashed and was unable to restore windows XP. A HP support chearfully offered to sell me a disk with the original operating system for a nominal fee of $20 to $40. I protested that I bought the original operating system with the computer when new and they were at fault for not supplying me with a system disk.

After a while I said to the rather superior support person that HP could stuff their disk, which would have been exactly the saime as the system originally installed without SP1 or SP2, and I just used my 6.06 disk to reinstall Grub with out an alternative operting syatem i.e Windows.
A session with gparted now means that I now have a 40Gbyte back up disk.

To date I have nothing that I need in Windows but have to admit that my wife's machine is there as fallback option if I do.

TitanKing
June 27th, 2006, 11:59 AM
I have been on Linux for 10 years now, I tried out Windows XP and love it, I am not looking back now !

BWAAAAAHAHAHAAHAH ! Kidding kidding !!!!

vinodis
June 27th, 2006, 12:14 PM
me me!
i quit windows. living happily ever after with ubuntu.

teyster2
June 27th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Ubuntu! I used to duel boot, but Ubuntu changed all that. I'm learning to game on Ubuntu all over again and it's refreshing. I'll never go back to window$ and I avoid Micro$oft like the plague.

AndyCooll
June 27th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Essentially 2006 marked the stage of my household being Linux only.

As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread there were a few things I needed which kept me from deleting my XP partition. These issues haven't gone (Football Manager, a site that only renders properly in IE, and a Sony portable player that requires "Connect" software), but these all now work via my XP VMware image. When I got this working properly my last M$ partition went.

:cool:

odysseus.lost
June 27th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Well, I still have to keep some kind of windows partition because of:
1. Presentation purposes... my switch to external video does not work under linux... (although this may have changed).
2. Statistics software.
3. My usb 2-octave keyboards... although I haven't investigated if it works under linux too.

starNIX
June 30th, 2006, 03:53 PM
About 8 or 9 years ago. Last version of Windows to have a home on my hard drive was Win95.... Went to OS/2 after that but soon switched to LINUX. Havent really looked back.....

walkerx
June 30th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I don't think I will fully move to linux, until they get stuff working properly. I installed unbuntu other day - got everything working after about a week only for it to stuff up again

I'll give it another try trying to reinstall and get everything working - if it don't then won't try again for another year or so

newlinux
June 30th, 2006, 09:17 PM
a little over a decade ago I installed netBSd (and eventually linux) on my college computer. It was dual boot with win95, but I almost never used the win95. I used Unix 100% of the time in the college computer labs, so Linux seemed more natural (and allowed more seamless access to the same programs and resources I used in the labs). Unfortunately, after I graduated I rarely ever used Linux or Unix again. This week I installed dapper as a dual boot with XP on home desktop to play with, and I don't think I'll be logging into the Windows side too often. Things have gotten a lot easier with Linux in the last decade. Even though I have forgotten a ton, I still find things pretty easy to pick up. I plan on installing Open office at work in order to break away from MS products (Too bad I can't get work to support Linux, but I might try and run live Linux if noone notices;-) ).

I'm currently trying to get my wife to fall in love with Linux and its tons of advantages. I just bought purchased a laptop from system76, and I have no plans of ever putting windows on that machine.

I don't know if I'll ever go completely without MS windows at home, but I am probably done buying any MS Office software, just keeping windows around in case there is some special software windows only I need - but keeping only on one computer at home.

For me, going to Ubuntu is like coming home. The default configuration actually looks a little to "windowsy" to me, so I am changing quite a few things.

Sorry for the oratory - this is my first post, and I thought I'd share my current thoughts after only a couple days back on linux.

yosoyviejo
June 30th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Switched completely to GNU/Linux on the 1st of august, 2005. Happy guy since then. :D

Lfrb
July 1st, 2006, 01:21 AM
I completely switch to Ubuntu (Kubuntu first and now Ubuntu) in January 2006 in only one step. I format my computer to remove Windows and I installed Ubuntu. I never used Linux before but I think it's the best way to completely switch to Linux. Now I just have to find a solution to my problems..I can not just say "Oh..I will use Windows to do this..just this time"

FredSambo
July 1st, 2006, 01:36 AM
i've completely switched over to ubuntu servers, although the workstations are still windows, since that is what my users want at the moment.

Jango
July 2nd, 2006, 12:36 PM
90% percent of time I use Linux. There are only two cases when I have to go back 2 Windows for a while.

1) I wanna play some windowishhhh game

or

2) I need to do something that I can't do in Linux. The more u get experience the less case 2 is important. The only think I'm struggling with right now is video Output.

So, my suggestion is to make Linux the primary system and leave several gigs to Windows, so u can play games :)

That's what I'm going 2 do whenever I get my CDs with new Ubuntu.

Ubuntu rules \\:D/

ben s
July 2nd, 2006, 08:47 PM
I switched to Linux full-time at home in '99 and at work in '01 (the "killer app" that got me to move was Evolution). I ran Redhat/Fedora for most of that time, occasionally switching to SuSE until YaST drove me bonkers, which happened after a few weeks every time!

In '05 I got a PowerBook for my work machine so since then I've been using OS X at work and Ubuntu at home (I switched from Fedora to Ubuntu when Breezy was released). However, now that Dapper is out and has better hardware support than Breezy for the PowerBook, I think I will try putting Linux on it. The last couple of OS X updates (10.4.6 and 10.4.7) have slowed my OS X environment to a crawl; Ubuntu is much more responsive. Although I will miss TextMate and Expose...

Compucore
July 2nd, 2006, 08:57 PM
Personally I have two machines that are strictly ubuntu linux machines. and the other are for either simple storage or the essential for what I do for work and gaming.

Compucore

enyaw
July 2nd, 2006, 09:07 PM
Ubuntu and I are connected at the hip and will remain so until the grimm reaper crashes the party.

Houman
July 2nd, 2006, 09:15 PM
I used to dual boot for a long time until recently. My windows started crashing and i decided to format, well I found out I did not own a Windows CD. And by that time I was already spending most of my time logged into my Linux Partition, so i dropped windows :D. and I have been using only Linux. My only hope is to get a decent job soon so I can donate some money to the Ubuntu project, I have been using it for a long time and I like to give something back.

I have really been enjoying my ubuntu, I have been learning alot thanks to ubuntu and all the ubuntu forum members :D

regards

GeneW
July 2nd, 2006, 09:37 PM
Except for occasional gaming, I use Linux 100%. Ubuntu on my laptop and FC4 on my work desktop. FC4 was not my idea but it's the only Linux distro that they will support at work.

billethius
July 2nd, 2006, 09:50 PM
After discovering that not only could I run Out Of The Park Baseball 2006 on linux through wine, but that it ran significantly faster than on Windows, I decided to go ahead and make the switch for the most part. I still have a Windows XP partition as I still have a few reasons to use it, but I'd say 95% of my time in the past two weeks has been in linux.

pulver
July 2nd, 2006, 10:51 PM
I keep my windows images around, just in case. Sometimes not very often I restore and boot into them to play some game or use some specific application, or to test a website in Internet exploder. When someone wants to borrow my box to use exploder or ms comic chat (http://www.edict.com.hk/chat/comicchat.gif) thats what they get, or if they rather prefer windows3 and skifree (http://ski.ihoc.net/ski.gif) http://ski.ihoc.net/abom.gif (the only good thing that ever came out of m$ besides ms comic chat), or msdos and whatnot. But, I completely switched to Linux a long time ago for workstation, and have been happy ever since...end of story. http://ski.ihoc.net/abom_e.gif http://ski.ihoc.net/abom_f.gif

louiemac
July 3rd, 2006, 09:18 AM
been using linux for almost a year ubuntu to be exact in my laptop.
i went as far as removing the stickers that came with it. "designed for windows xp"
hehehe...... if i could only find a sticker that say " designed for ubuntu " with the corresponding logo.

raldz
July 3rd, 2006, 11:48 AM
I was born with Windows and been using it since v3.11, then I stumble upon Mandrake 9.2 (my first Linux).. I love Linux eversince and I'm using it extensively at different machines with SUSE, MEPIS, and of course K/Ubuntu.. but somehow I need to use Windows occasionally for Internet Banking... which made me think.. maybe I should change my bank now..

raldz
July 3rd, 2006, 11:55 AM
been using linux for almost a year ubuntu to be exact in my laptop.
i went as far as removing the stickers that came with it. "designed for windows xp"
hehehe...... if i could only find a sticker that say " designed for ubuntu " with the corresponding logo.

Hey, Pinoy? Have you ordered the free K/Ubuntu CDs? Mine came 5 days ago and it has neat stickers along with it.. I put the stickers on my machines running K/Ubuntu..

w_r_cromwell
July 3rd, 2006, 01:50 PM
I began my struggle with linux a long time ago and achieved success with redhat 4. That is when I dumped MS from my personal computer. I have RH 9 and now Ubuntu and I help other people get rid of Microsoft. I think RH is making MS noises so I have abandoned them. I have even used linux to repair Windows machines :)

Stickers? Its time for me to upgrade!! I love stickers!!

Bill

redelephant
July 3rd, 2006, 02:20 PM
I've been using Linux full time for a couple years now. First it was Fedora, then Suse, and somewhere was a little Mandrake. I settled on Ubuntu with the 5.04 release and been happy ever since. I'm also the proud owner of a Myth box and I'm working on a dedicated file/web/mail server (Ubuntu Server Edition 6.06 LTS, of course).

Eyeore
July 3rd, 2006, 03:51 PM
I'm still running a dual boot with XP although I run Ubuntu 99% of the time. I only need Windows for running some software from work -it actually runs in Ubuntu using wine, but it's faster in XP. My biggest thing is I can't decide between wghich desktop to use in Ubuntu. I've tried and like KDE, but I also like Gnome and Xubuntu.

edwardecl
July 4th, 2006, 02:45 AM
I have only been using ubuntu for a month now... I want to stop using windows, but I still require it for some games :(. Other than that i don't boot windows for anything else. My tv card works, I can play music, and upload music to my ipod via firewire using gtkpod. Burning CD/DVD's works like a charm.

The one program linux needs is dbpoweramp... encoding apes to aac is stupidly slow in wine, and there are no linux programs that can do this and retain the tags :evil: Although vmware booting windows is fine... but that is still booting windows :(. I have also burned a DVD using vmware running windows xp... but thats just sick ::KS

-deadcats
July 4th, 2006, 03:18 AM
Been running various Linii exclusively for more than two years now. But I do need to qualify that. Since my wife is a Windows developer, a M(icro)ISV, I end up running Win98, Win2K, WinXP, and Vista Beta all in VMWare virtual machines in Linux in order to test and do tech support on her stuff. My Linux OS-of-choice right now is Ubuntu, although I've also used and liked past versions of SuSE.

For some reason I feel less, oh, slimy I guess running that wicked stuff in VM's. Makes it feel like I'm not really using Windows, if you know what I mean.

-dc

SpEcIeS
July 4th, 2006, 05:33 AM
C'mon you guys... do not get such a hard on about killing windows.

I have used Debian, Ubuntu <-, SuSe, Mandrake (Mandriva), Redhat, Gentoo, and others. Linux is great!!!

This does not mean that you have some secret committment to get rid of windows, no matter how much it blows. Dig deep.

When it comes to M$ I have used Dos of of variour versions ... windows 2.0... windows 3.0,..... windows 3.1 3.11 ... 95 .. 98/98SE.. ME (which stands for MEH).. XP.. and I do not want to use Vista.. however... if you do USE IT... we are not all the same.

I enjoy OS's and programming.. and the like, but I have to stay in tune with M$ due to finacial benifits... that is all. I have converted a few.. but most are easy going people and do not want ot learn something new. Can you really blame them?

All of us that have experienced LINUX for more than 2 years know that it is more secure and all around better, but not all of us want that.

Enjoy your computers... that is what they are for... not contreversy.... listen up M$ NOT..

ROCK on UBUNTU.. and ... uhm.. SuSE.. :D

Brando569
July 4th, 2006, 06:23 AM
im about 90% linux and 10% windows i will use it occasionally for games, when something doesnt work right in linux and i dont have the patience to mess with it or when i wanna watch a wmv file :lol:

as for my brother and parents...........

Ive Totally Converted Them To Kubuntu!! :D

padangbond
July 4th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Been windows free for 2 years. Gateway at home is Dapper, workstation at home is dualboot dapper and win2000(my wife is a writer, and she's using it for Final Draft and games). My office workstations in Dapper, My NEC Laptop Versa E400 is Dapper and win2000 (also for the reasons above), and my office gateway is debian 3.1

montaro
July 4th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I tried many distros such as FC3, Suse10, and konppix, but i really liked ubuntu, specially the LTS edition.

Am still using windows coz i couldn't find a good video editor for linux, such as "Ulead Video Studio", and i couldn't get my Creative 5.1 card fully work (only 2 speakers work on linux).

The annoying thing in linux is lack of driver support, i didnt found any driver for my TechniSat Satellite Card, and for me Fusion Mpeg2 Video device :(
That is the only reasons makes still running windows.

Smaskens
July 4th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Completely switched to Ubuntu at December 2005.

damp
July 4th, 2006, 07:03 PM
I made the switch long ago. =)

sp0nge
July 4th, 2006, 07:53 PM
7-4-06, I finally made the siwtch. I'm hoping to keep Ubuntu the sole OS on my Dell Inspiron 1000. I'm toying with drivers for the Wireless card but I attribute my troubles to operator error over anything else. I look forward to getting to know you all, I'll need any help I can get 8-[

afilonov
July 4th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Done. Once I made Quicken 2004 working under wine, I don't have any Windows at home anymore. I have one partition on one machine, because it's still under warranty, but I'm running Ubuntu on it.

machia
July 6th, 2006, 07:26 AM
I switched completely to Ubuntu 2 weeks ago. Still have Win partition that I sometimes use with vmware. Havent regret at all, though one thing I miss is games but due work/school/final thesis I haven't played other than frozen bubble :P

billyevil
July 6th, 2006, 07:52 AM
i switched over about a month ago when i was sitting there running antispyware software and reading about the memory requirements of vista and about different problems.. it was just finally too much so i tried a couple linux distros.. hadn't used linux much at all.. but after trying ubuntu, kubuntu.. then finally feeling comfortable with xubuntu.. i've played around and i can say now that everything is pretty comfortable for me.. just got the fonts looking great today and put on opera.. can't think of anything i miss really with crossover office.. there's only one program i miss, called photoimpact.. can get the trial running but the reg code doesn't stick.. other than that i've been playing with gimp and inkscape.. not exactly the same but for what i do it's workable.. for all the +'s to using xubuntu over windows.. not having one program outside of a trial form isn't much to complain about.. i'm really impressed mainly with the amount of helpful people around more than anything else..

alcamus
July 6th, 2006, 10:29 PM
For all intents and purposes, I made the plunge about 3 days ago. I've been trying Linux distros of various flavors off and on for about 4 years but I never really found one that fit the way I work. Lately, though, I've been tremendously impressed with the progress Linux has made on the desktop. A friend suggested I look at Ubuntu and it was love from the first boot. The two games I played in Windows work flawlessly under Wine. Amarok runs beautifully in Gnome and is superior to iTunes in every way. For working, the transition from MS Office to OpenOffice was seamless. I saw where another user complained that his 5.1 card didn't work in Ubuntu -- my Audigy 2 card not only works, but the fidelity is much better than with its native drivers in Windows.

Screem is incredible for developing Web pages; Gimp has a high learning curve and seems more difficult to me than Photoshop, but I'm sure with a little work I'll get to the place where I'm comfortable. I see folks fight over KDE and Gnome: I like things about both. I prefer Gnome as my window manager, but KDE makes some terrific apps and those I use live comfortably so far in the Gnome environment. A couple of tools I already can't live without -- including the dictionary application (on steroids with Moby thesaurus -- good God, what a combination!) and Inkscape, which is a fine, quick vector illustration program.

There is one application I still miss. In Windows I had a little tool called Chimp Notes -- a little tabbed text editor that sat quietly in the system tray until I needed it -- where I recorded quick thoughts, links, and quotes from things I found on the Web. BasKet is a little too weighty for my needs; I'd like to find a Linux alternative.

I still have a very small Windows partition because my Webcam isn't fond of Linux (Ubuntu found it and set it up, but I can't get it to work with Kopete, which is my chat client of choice); so I've kept a partition where I can communicate with family and friends using MSN and where we can gape at one another as we like. But for everything else I do, it's Ubuntu all the way.

As a note of praise for the OS, for years I have envied friends using Mac OSX, but as far as I'm concerned, they have nothing on this system. It's esthetically pleasing, a joy to work with, and you sure can't beat the price.

Mark me down as a delighted Ubuntu user.

terminatingzero
July 6th, 2006, 11:15 PM
I fully switched to linux five years ago. I've been using it since (or trying to use it) since 94'. I've never looked back.:) And never will.

michael1977
July 7th, 2006, 05:13 AM
I completely switched to Linux four months ago was dual booting for about two years. There realy wasn't anything keeping me on windows it was just a safety net. I like to play games but I have a playstation and gamecube for that I don't like playing games on a computer. Therefore I have no need for windows realy at this point. :)

otto67
July 7th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Completely since feb. 2005. With Ubuntu Breezy all hardware started work fluently, so i decided to put me on test if I can manage my everyday work without Windows. Conclusion - Yes I can with no problems at all.

For gaming it could be limited - you cannot simply put a CD on and start. But certain good games are working very well (ET Wolfenstein, Quake, Flightgear etc.) and for me it is largely enough.

The only problem for me is that i did not find any video editing program with decent sound mixing (even very simple). Kino allows me to do most what i want with image but sound side is ugly-ugly.

Attached also my desktop

litemotiv
July 7th, 2006, 09:37 AM
i fully switched to (ubuntu) linux approximately 2 weeks ago :)

wifiabc
July 7th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I'm still keeping Windows because Linux is still do not offer as wide and as friendly applications as Windows.

For example, primopdf in windows is so much better than cups-pdf . Cups-pdf don't even allow the user to specify filename and location.

kewldude606
July 7th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I have fully switched. I was researching and compiling guides until the end of the school year because I didn't want to break anything with finals/a report due.

I am so glad I switched. My wireless actually works better than it did under Windows. And I've only reformatted once after I tried to install XFCE-desktop over Ubuntu.

The one thing I wish I did was research KDE and Gnome. I just went with plain Ubuntu because I thought it would be supported better.

Adamant1988
July 7th, 2006, 04:21 PM
I switched completely to Ubuntu 2 weeks ago. Still have Win partition that I sometimes use with vmware. Havent regret at all, though one thing I miss is games but due work/school/final thesis I haven't played other than frozen bubble :P
There's always ET man :)

As for me, I've switched completely. I distro hopped a lot before finally coming to Linspire. On a whim I tried Ubuntu/EasyUbuntu and I felt like I was at home.

lokirulez
July 7th, 2006, 04:22 PM
All I use is Linux. I got rid of any Windows partitions I had over a year ago and never looked back. I will admit that I use WINE in order to use DVDShrink. I also tried installing some PC games through WINE and had no problems. All my hardware works great with Linux so I am happy.

In the past the only reason I kept going back to Windows was because I was having problems with Linux not recognizing my hardware. But it seems like those problems are a thing of the past. The only time I even get on a Windows machine these days is at work.

Adamant1988
July 7th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Puppy Linux + USB drive = Linux at work :)

DoctorMO
July 7th, 2006, 07:03 PM
I'm still keeping Windows because Linux is still do not offer as wide and as friendly applications as Windows.

For example, primopdf in windows is so much better than cups-pdf . Cups-pdf don't even allow the user to specify filename and location.

Windows doesn't tend to offer any applications at all, but there is quite a large third party support base which is far stronger than linux.

tsb
July 7th, 2006, 07:23 PM
I've deleted my Vista partition in favor of another distro until Vista is officially released. So I guessI'm completely Linux now. After Merom 17" Powerbooks are available I will go tri-OS though.

Bost
July 8th, 2006, 11:59 AM
I did completely. It's a bit like taking care of Tamagotschi, all the time! But I keep on fighting

kc8hr
July 8th, 2006, 04:19 PM
I switched to Linux in 1998, and I wouldn't go back to Micro$oft for $1M!

My first distro was Redhat 5.1, when installing Linux was a real adventure. Ubuntu Dapper was up and running in 45 minutes.

Good work, guys!
Tim

howe0001
July 8th, 2006, 05:24 PM
I completely switched in 2000, using Mandrake. Now I've been a Ubuntu fan for several years now....only one thing keeps me booting an XP vmware session - visio..... I'm sure if I would do some more reading.... I could get past that too. :)

pburdick
July 8th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Except for the machines I have to use at work, I solely use Ubuntu. Being an IT teacher puts me in a position to advertise Linux. Aside from the older teachers, who use their computer with an instruction list in their hand, I have introduced scores of high school students to Ubuntu. Some of them wouldn't dream of using Windows. I have been told they were being brainwashed; I call it having common sense enough to recognize a solid operating system.

PingunZ
July 10th, 2006, 11:16 AM
The solution for me was to run a fully tweaked windows ( no theme, backgroun, animations, ... ) with only my game as installed app
and for all the rest I use Ubuntu

Grtz PingunZ

ncmathsadist
July 10th, 2006, 02:39 PM
I put ubuntu on my Stinkpad T43 a few months ago. Since I am totally indifferent to games, I have almost no need for 'doze. I have a partition (this is my work computer) in case I need it, but if I log into it once a month, that's very often.

Having all the wonderful open-source linux tools at my disposal is a great thing. Pfffffffttt on you, Billy-Boy Gates.

hardfire_avk
July 11th, 2006, 03:40 AM
I use Ubuntu. But all the rest in my family use Windows

netkid91
July 11th, 2006, 03:49 AM
I am pure Linux. I only used Windows for games. And now, my PS2 is my primary gaming machine, so I'm good. I don't really miss any Windows related stuff, although now I hate when people send me .wma/.wmv's and they don't play correctly.

netkid91
July 11th, 2006, 04:07 AM
I use Ubuntu. But all the rest in my family use Windows
Same here, but I got my sister to use Linux and she loves it. What I really hate is all the "Windows Lusers" that never try Linux and say it sucks. My mom yelled at me for installing it on my sis' PC. And then lovely Windows XP got fried due to a Power Surge on my Grandfathers computer, which my mom's boyfriend built(who's also a Windows Luser), and I installed Ubuntu on it, she FLIPPED! It pisses me off...Anyways...

43moon
July 11th, 2006, 04:37 AM
Ubuntu is my current lady, and I am all about her. BUT, I still have ties to my former lady (windows) and despite the fact that I would rather not, I still need to see her from time-to-time.

Jeff_From_Hell
July 11th, 2006, 04:55 AM
I have, but am wishing i hadnt, but somethings just arnt working right.

kimu
July 11th, 2006, 05:15 AM
I have linux as my production environment :eek: (SW development). Actually I'm trying to use only linux (2 PC, the desktop and main one is pure linux, the second is a laptop dual boot) and from the day I'll be able to make all the graphics program I need working properly under linux I'll forget what Windows is....:D
Thanks to Ubuntu and my persistence I think the day is coming, very soon....

And...on the desktop I play all the playble with linux, UT04, ET, Warsow, Nexuiz, D3, Q3, NWN....

GuitarHero
July 11th, 2006, 06:24 AM
I need windows for gaming, recording, and because ubuntu wont work with my network card on this computer. When the Wii comes out i wont care much about gaming, so as soon as i get ubuntu working on this ill be on that most of the time.

InkyUK
July 11th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Well i have been useing linux for just over 2 weeks now i think didnt bother with a dual boot as soon as i tryd out the 6.06 live CD i knew that it was for me and i have been a happy Ubuntu 6.06 user ever since :D

sanjito
July 11th, 2006, 04:11 PM
I am only using windows for flight sim. It helps me with flight training. Other than that I have used linux on and off for about a year, and finally switched everything over with the new ubuntu.

Instead of reinventing the wheel, it was easier to site in front of OO spreadsheet and design a budget and financial tracking template. Which has been a lot easier for me to plan and track, and more personalized for me then quicken ever was. Online banking can be done from any browser in my case so that was never a need in Quicken for me, just a convienience.

I am bad at spreadsheets. would you mind posting a copy of your quicken alternative. I can get the wife to switch over to linux as well.

wikki
July 11th, 2006, 04:20 PM
I am only using windows for flight sim. It helps me with flight training. Other than that I have used linux on and off for about a year, and finally switched everything over with the new ubuntu.

I am bad at spreadsheets. would you mind posting a copy of your quicken alternative. I can get the wife to switch over to linux as well.

I was a quicken adict for about 4 years. This was the one thing that kept me going back to windows every few months. I got quicken working with wine/crossover office but it was sort of pokey and just not very fun to use. After about 6 months I switched back.

About a month ago I had a hard drive crash so I was going to have to reinstall anyway. At that point I decided that I would just figured out how to use gnucash. I forced myself to spend some time converting and importing my data from quicken. Over all it wasn't too bad. Once you spend a week or so using gnucash I think you will find that it meets most needs. I have tons of accounts, stocks, assets, and loans that I keep track of. Now that 2.0 is out you will find the interface has been updated for gtk2 as well.

ansorg
July 11th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I am only using windows for flight sim. It helps me with flight training.

So you haven't heard about http://www.x-plane.com? Download the demo and give it a try!

bruce89
July 11th, 2006, 04:48 PM
So you haven't heard about http://www.x-plane.com? Download the demo and give it a try!
I use it, and it's brilliant. I have to run it on Windows, as I am using an AMD64 Ubuntu, and I can't be arsed to setup a chroot.

sanjito
July 11th, 2006, 05:22 PM

I have heard of it and yes I have tried it. But I was that not that impressed with it. I also tried flight gear, but had problems with that one. So that is why I choose to keep it.

bruce89
July 11th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I have heard of it and yes I have tried it. But I was that not that impressed with it.
When was that, as it is constantly improving. - http://www.global-scenery.org/

SonicChao
July 11th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I've been using Ubuntu as my main box for 1 months now. I was too (stupid) to try to dual boot, so I wiped the drive and only used Ubuntu. I noticed after that I didn't need Windows anyway. :D

ansorg
July 11th, 2006, 07:58 PM
I have heard of it and yes I have tried it. But I was that not that impressed with it. I also tried flight gear, but had problems with that one. So that is why I choose to keep it.

Then please take a look at some of my adventures with X-Plane all over the world

http://ja-web.de/Screenshots/X-Plane/FACT/
http://ja-web.de/Screenshots/X-Plane/EDDM-EDNO-EDDS/
and all other at http://ja-web.de/Screenshots/X-Plane/

most of the pictures taken while flying online with other x-plane pilots :)

jordilin
July 11th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Using window$? are you kidding? I only use Linux at home, but I have to use win in my job, what a pitty. Linux is currently the most powerful and stable os in the world all for free. And free of virus, adware, and all kind of crap...

cyberlite
July 11th, 2006, 09:00 PM
I completely agree with you.

sanjito
July 12th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Then please take a look at some of my adventures with X-Plane all over the world

http://ja-web.de/Screenshots/X-Plane/FACT/
http://ja-web.de/Screenshots/X-Plane/EDDM-EDNO-EDDS/
and all other at http://ja-web.de/Screenshots/X-Plane/

most of the pictures taken while flying online with other x-plane pilots :)

Nice screenshots. I tried it on windows and it just seemed to be a little choppy. May it was my system/windows. I would be willing to trying it out on ubuntu, but the demo only gives you 6 minutes of demo time. and 6 minutes is not really much of a demo when I do alot of flying.also, I cant really see forking out $50 for something I cant be sure I will like. but since I no longer have windows (as of last night I am completely windows free) I may have to break down and get it.

cacharreo
July 12th, 2006, 08:13 PM
I DON'T NEED WINDOWS. I can do everythings I need with Linux.
If I want to play a game I use the PS2.:evil:

tastefulasever
July 12th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Yet another windows free human enters the thread.

I dislike windows to the point that I will not take into consideration whether or not any of my websites display well in Internet Exploiter.

I love the idea behind linux to the point that I chose to abandon all my windows games rather than play a hypocritical role.

Please note, I am not calling anyone a hypocrite because they keep their windows OS to play games on. I am only saying that I would be a hypocrite to myself, by contradicting my beliefs.

PhilipsHead
July 12th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Completely? To linux?

You'll have to grab my OpenBSD drive from my cold dead fingers.

captainroin
July 12th, 2006, 09:46 PM
yea, i just kinda went cold turkey. didnt think i would but then it was soooo much easier to just format my hard disk for linux and not have to worry about that dual booting business. so i've been using linxu for a total of.... 7 days now? :cool:

ExMachina
July 17th, 2006, 05:08 AM
I run nothin but linux.
Every comp. My mom ,g-ma's and sisters. they all love it too.
At work i was FORCED to use a windows server box.. So i set up a ssh server on it hide it under the desk adn dev everythign on a linux box and ssh / ftp it over ^^

eternalsword
July 17th, 2006, 06:15 AM
I just installed Ubuntu last week, and after sorting out some hardware problems and video playback issues, i haven't booted in Windows. Now that I have IE up and running in wine (funny thing is if there's no flash, it's worked faster than running in XP) for webdev, I would only think to boot up XP if I borked my kernel and wanted to grab some data. I'm not a PC gamer, so no problems there. And of course, with my crap-for-crap older computer not wanting to run Xserver, I was stuck with XP and figured out how to totally deck it out to not look/work like XP by using Litestep, WindowBlinds (free version), CursorXP, xplorer2. So basically I was just using free and open source programs on top of the Windows kernel and drivers. The only things I miss are StrokeIt (anyone know of anything like this for Gnome) and media player classic's mouse controls (how do I set up Gxine/Mplayer so that the middle button makes the video full screen and left button play/pause)

mhancoc7
July 17th, 2006, 06:20 AM
About 99.9% The only Windows stuff I use is through Wine or Vmware. I do not dual boot and will never dual boot again now that I have Vmware running ******* XP for the rare occasion that I need it. I also think it is nice to have so I can show my friends who use *******.

Jereme

Adamant1988
July 17th, 2006, 06:49 AM
I've made the switch completely, I'm just fighting with myself about which distro to use... I love both Ubuntu and Suse.

sebz2005
July 17th, 2006, 07:03 AM
My family is thinking of swapping to Ubuntu because it handles files easyer, faster & much more stabler.

But right now, my personal server is the only thing GENUENLY running Ubuntu. I have Ubuntu partitioned on my PC and on our TV-PC.
Once Edgy comes out with the Linux Kernel version 2.6.17, then the TV-PC will run Ubuntu till the cows come home (Though, we have no cows... :-s).

globetrotters1
July 17th, 2006, 08:24 PM
seems to be a very popular thread... :D

My wife and I use 8 computers in a home network (part for work - I'm retired, but work for fun in scientific research - part for personal fun). Since 2 years I got more and more sick of the damn virus-hijacker-worm-trojan-spyware-adware situation and the constant patching/updating the whole stuff, that I checked out all major Linux distributions and finally decided to use Ubuntu.

Only ONE machine with Windogs XP is left, because it has special Hardware installed (Matrox RTX.100 Extreme video editing board) and video cutting software (Adobe Premiere, AfterEffects, Matrox XTools) which would never work under Linux (as far as I know).

Some problems are left to be solved (multi-monitor setup with a Matrox G450 MMS and a Matrox Parhelia APVe board), but... our network runs and runs and runs and it is finally time to relax!

We are no gamers though... so, no problems there.

We run several websites on the Net, which are still built on ASP+ and SQL Server databases. But that is a matter of time to rewrite them.

It was a very tough decision at first, but we are happy that we did this switch!

gotmonkey
July 18th, 2006, 12:48 AM
For the most part, I have left windows behind. My Notebook is my primary for most things.

The only things that I use my windows machines for are video processing, data recovery, and gaming.

When I can find good replacements for R-Studio, Easy Recovery, Nero Recode, and Gaming..... it will be bye bye billie boy!

For Daily use, Linux is King. Unfortunately, I will always have to keep a windows box running (Client/Server Dual boot). I provide support for windows users and with Vista coming out, I will have to know that beast of burden.

IBM T42 - Ubuntu 6.06
Centrino 2.0Ghz

Shuttle Sn45G - Ubuntu 6.06
AMD 3200+ Socket A
ATI 9800Pro

AMD64 3700+ Socket 939 - Windows 32-bit
EVGA NF41 - XFX 6800GT

AMD64 3800X2 Socket 939 - Windows 64-bit
EVGA NF44 - EVGA 7800GT

eeried
July 18th, 2006, 09:02 AM
eternalsword:
Now that I have IE up and running in wine (funny thing is if there's no flash, it's worked faster than running in XP) for webdev

What a weird thing! Web dev is rotten with IE because IE doesn't follow the web standards (W3C), and as a webmaster you ought to follow the W3C recommendations, and finally I would have thought one of the good things about Linux is you no longer have IE somewhere lurking...

globetrotters1:
Only ONE machine with Windogs XP is left, because it has special Hardware installed (Matrox RTX.100 Extreme video editing board) and video cutting software (Adobe Premiere, AfterEffects, Matrox XTools) which would never work under Linux (as far as I know).
Are you aware that a 3D short film, Elephants Dream, was made with libre software that work under Linux!(video and film editing, 3D software -- Cinerella, Blender, etc.): have a look at these websites: http://www.elephantsdream.org/
http://orange.blender.org/

Have fun!:)

matj654
July 18th, 2006, 12:59 PM
At work, I switched to linux about 4 years ago. At home I still use Windows because I am a gamer.

odysseus.lost
July 18th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Statistics is my problem. Cannot find an SPSS equivalent....

linuxgoober
July 18th, 2006, 10:37 PM
My desktop has not had Windows for a long time. I just ordered a new laptop. It comes with Windows XP. Since I attend a small private highschool I also have the responsiblity of tech stuff. We are in the transition of switching our computers to Linux. I use Windows XP occasionally (Only as a last resort) and my dad's computer (occasionally). If you call that completely than yes, I still have to convert my dad, but both of my sisters are adicted as well.:-D

wildseven
July 19th, 2006, 08:40 AM
my laptop is now COMPLETELY Dapper!! yayY!!!

buttt, my desktop is full linux for games ^^ , but that is gonna change, partitioning it sometime in the near future ^^

bboop
July 19th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Went to linux & tried several distros 6 mos. ago - used FC4 until 2 wks ago. Still setting up Ubuntu w/ kde; having a few issues but learning. Still have 98 on ofice computer for quickbooks, but found MyBooks by appgen.com to port out files. I am going to try this program and see how it goes- if anyone has new let me know how you like it. Other than that it's merely a matter of time b4 all my boxes are linux.
The day I put my 1st distro in I mentally made the decision and have never looked bsck and while Ive had frustrating moments I've NOT ONCE regretted the move. :mrgreen:

rtfmviolator
July 22nd, 2006, 05:59 PM
I have tried many versions of Linux until I finnally stopped at Ubuntu. I have the hardest time getting it to work on my wireless laptop; wirelessly that is. So, now I only have it on 1 computer. I built an AMD 900 MHz machine on an old MSI Combo motherboard that someone gave me and said it was junk. Yeah sure. My gripes are that some media files don't work, like Quicktime movie files. Some WMA files too. The OS is so great because hackers don't care to exploit vulnerabilities. With the invention of Automatix Ubuntu became a great platform to use. I use Win XP on a bunch of my machines; even though I despise it. I use Symantec antivirus, Zone Alarm, and Firefox and Thunderbird religiously. I've seen my Windblows machines get infected easily and fast. I think the downfall of Mickeysoft's Windblows are the invention of a registry and 3rd party software being able to just start up in the system tray. That's just stupid. Of course they have MSCONFIG but why even allow it in the first place. Stupid Mickeysoft, that's why. They won't stop using Active X either; even with IE 7!!! So, you begin to use open source browsers based on Mozilla's Firefox. Why not use the whole system like Linux??? It's just plain smart. I can't say I feel I can live without Winders though. It's a necessary evil of today. I don't blame Microsuck THAT MUCH. They are the mainstream and the target for attacks by hackers. If Mac or Linux were mainstream they would be also. So I say let the secret be somewhat a secret. Allow Mac and Linux to be the "under-dogs". It will make it so the hackers keep leaving them alone. And we, the smart people can keep having so much fun and safety on Ubuntu. The fact that software messups don't destroy the kernel is another great reason to use Linux. Can't really say that about the Windblows registry lamer idea.

apollo1900
July 22nd, 2006, 06:15 PM
I have Ubuntu as my sole OS on my G4 Sawtooth. I love it.

robins_web
July 24th, 2006, 11:32 PM
After running Ubuntu for over a year on my Compaq Presario laptop and not having a single problem, I bit the bullet yesterday and installed it on my older Toshiba Satellite. Only had two problems: when trying the LIVE CD to see if it would work on the Toshiba, everything was cool. But after the installation, I had no sound.

I tried various tricks, including a couple posted here on the forum, but nothing worked. I finally took the advice of the late W.C. Fields, who once said, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then give up. No sense being a damned fool about it." I simply reinstalled it from the CD.

My sound card works, my USB 2 GB minidrive works, but I'm still trying to get my Lexar memory stick to mount. It shows up on the desktop, it tells me can't find /dev/sda1 in etc/fstab or etc/mtab.

But I'm not giving up! It's great having 2 computers without a single piece of proprietary software on either one of them!

DaveQB
July 25th, 2006, 03:31 AM
robins_web

Are you in the "plugdev" group ? I think thats what its called. If your not, then you wont have access to any plug in devices. I found this out the hard way :/

nikkiana
July 25th, 2006, 03:39 AM
I have... But I will admit that I do miss a few things about Windows... Like having Flash actually work the way it's supposed to and Photoshop.

Enigmus
July 25th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Whilst I enjoy Ubuntu, I still enjoy Windows XP for quite a few tasks. Quite a few games aren't too easy or impossible to run on Ubuntu.

oska
July 25th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I switched completely to Gnu/Linux with Ubuntu 04.10 and haven't looked back since. I am very, very happy to be off Windows, the last version of which I used was NT 4.0.

Played around installing Debian from about 2001 but Ubuntu was the break-through for me.

chill
July 25th, 2006, 01:28 PM
I use Win for home video edit ... with Pinnacle Studio. Else Linux.

Vertabreaker
July 25th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I made the jump last night and I'm not looking back.

beercz
July 25th, 2006, 11:57 PM
I have a plan ....

At the office I am going to acquire a 'reasonable' used pc. On it I will install Windows 2000 and all the Windows software and data I need for work.

Then I can remove my Windows partition from my dual booting Dapper laptop!

Bliss!!!!!!!!

Well, I have finally achieved my goal! My laptop is now Windows free, running Ubuntu only.

Setting up and updating Ubuntu was very quick and painless, restoring all my data from my backup server is taking hours and hours - I obviously have too much!

Such a nice feeling being Windows free :-)

panki
July 26th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Been a Linux boy for about 6 years now. Started out with Redhat 5. Never Seen Windows 2003 or Office 2003. hehe...

devnulljp
July 27th, 2006, 07:35 AM
I have... But I will admit that I do miss a few things about Windows... Like having Flash actually work the way it's supposed to and Photoshop.

If you can't live w/o Photoshop, try crossover office...although it only supports PS up to v 6 (I think). Does a pretty good job though. Or there's gimp.
Flash works fine for me, except of course of my AMD64 machines. Automatix did a good job on 32bit with setting up flash etc.

carontis
July 27th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I don't use games 'cause of many reasons. Many users are used to have 2 partitions 1 windows & 1 Ubuntu. I have 2 pc: 1 Ubuntu & 1 windows (it's only for work!!!). I hope in less time Ubuntu will become strong as now can be windows, so you will see the difference. Help to expand, to spread it!
Windows has been the 1st stage of the revolutionary pc-home; now it's time for something "usable from all" and this means OpenSource and I really think Ubuntu it's at present time the best you can find in all distros. So, what I say, it's only not divide i 2 parts your pc (windows/Linux) but do as I do, and you'll see many differences. Don't give weight to Ubuntu with windowses's partitions. Use Ubuntu as it is.
You're worried about games for Ubuntu? Oh, you can find a lot of them, and heavy too!!!

bye