PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41

deadflowr
October 2nd, 2012, 04:32 AM
I am totally switched. I hated the viruses and Antivirus programs that slow you down. I liked the Gnome desktop and want to go back to it. I have 12.04 now. I have done all I have read and still see no choice at startup near my name in the right top corner.

If you mean, you can't switch DE's, from the default to another(Unity to Gnome or something else)Log out and in the login dialog box, next to your name will be a little cog, or Ubuntu logo, click it, and choose a different DE.(If you've installed one), then log in.

zgornel
October 2nd, 2012, 09:55 AM
I'll never commit to a single OS. Counterproductive.

kevinorourke2008
October 3rd, 2012, 07:38 PM
four years ago I totally switched and haven't regretted it. I've just upgraded to 12.04 yesterday I love it. kev

necromonger
October 3rd, 2012, 08:12 PM
me love linux me hate windows.

Baltazar Blake
October 7th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

Trust me Gnu/Linux systems OS are better than windows ,infact at first i tried a few times Ubuntu ,and then i switched completely to Ubuntu ,it work's great ,and my pc now is two times faster since i use Ubuntu ,what can i say .... it's Great :D

drpjkurian
October 7th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I've completely switched over to ubuntu. My clinic laptop as well as my all in one desktop run on ubuntu. I prefer gnome in all my machines for its stability. And I use to upfrade only to LTS

mamamia88
October 7th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Trust me Gnu/Linux systems OS are better than windows ,infact at first i tried a few times Ubuntu ,and then i switched completely to Ubuntu ,it work's great ,and my pc now is two times faster since i use Ubuntu ,what can i say .... it's Great :D

you are using unity right? :lolflag: if you were using xfce i wouldn't question it but unity feels like windows vista to me in terms of speed.

SantaFe
October 7th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Ditched Win 7 on my Dell Studio 1745, just Xubuntu 12.04 with Xfce & LXDE DE's. Funny thing is, haven't found one windows game yet that I have that hasn't worked in WINE.:lolflag:

peyre
October 8th, 2012, 04:17 AM
Ditched Win 7 on my Dell Studio 1745, just Xubuntu 12.04 with Xfce & LXDE DE's. Funny thing is, haven't found one windows game yet that I have that hasn't worked in WINE.:lolflag:

Go Xubuntu! I think it's the best of Canonical's offerings.

I actually have found a couple games that didn't work in Wine: Civ V for instance, and lately Lord of the Rings Online (even with PyLOTRO) has stopped working mysteriously. But yes, a high proportion of Windows software actually does run in Wine.

Welly Wu
October 8th, 2012, 05:44 AM
I got Codeweavers' CrossOver for Linux 11.2.1 64 bit for Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit Long Term Service and I got Valve Corporation's Steam for Windows and Sid Meier's Civilization V with some DLCs to install and run properly. You should check out codeweavers at http://www.codeweavers.com.

The hardest thing that comes with switching to Linux is the changing of the mindset especially if you have grown up using Microsoft or Apple products and services. At first glance, GNU/Linux and especially Ubuntu don't seem to offer more features and it seems that it supports less hardware and electronics. However, I have found that I can still use Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 including Office 2010 32 bit Professional Plus Service Pack 1 in a VM Ware Workstation 9.0.0 64 bit guest virtual machine just fine on my System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) notebook PC.

Ubuntu offers a better way to using your PC. It's one of the safest and one of the more secure GNU/Linux distributions that has over 20 million users worldwide. It's used by governments, military, law enforcement, intelligence agencies, supercomputers, scientists, researchers, authors, poets, and casual PC users alike. There are a huge number of software packages and PPAs available so that you can find a high quality alternative to a closed source and proprietary software application in Windows or OS X.

The learning curve is quite steep especially if you have never used the terminal previously. Using the Ubuntu Unity desktop environment is easy enough and most people stick with that for the most part, but the terminal is essential for scripting and fine tuning Ubuntu or any GNU/Linux distribution. I found it quite easy to use K Desktop Environment as an alternative and it is so focused on desktop PC users that I don't have to deal with hot corners or side bar menus like in Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit.

I chose Ubuntu because it is user friendly and it is easy to learn how to use. I don't like to build my GNU/Linux from scratch as I find I have better things to do with my time and I make too many mistakes as it is already. The best thing about Ubuntu and GNU/Linux is the freedom to do whatever you like to do without many restrictions or limitations. This alone was worth the cost of the learning curve and I can say that I am more comfortable using Ubuntu or GNU/Linux than Windows or OS X.

Ubuntu is particularly easy to harden and secure. The security features are the best thing about Ubuntu and GNU/Linux in general and it only takes a few hours to harden Ubuntu. A fully hardened Ubuntu is exceedingly difficult to crack, but it is not impossible. I find that it is best to secure your PC as much as possible and then you can focus on other tasks at hand. If you own a notebook PC, this is essential as you might travel with it on the go and it is nice to know that a hardened Ubuntu will survive almost any hostile environment barring physical security concerns like theft or loss.

Yet, I don't recommend that others try Ubuntu unless they are my friend and I am willing to provide them with free technical support and help. I am an Ubuntu certified technician. I have installed Ubuntu on friend's PCs only to find that they rarely use it or they only use Ubuntu when connecting to public 802.11 Wi-Fi hot spots. They think that using Ubuntu on public Wi-Fi hot spots guarantees them security, but they are mistaken. I usually recommend that they purchase a VPN service provider's plan to augment their network security and personal privacy. I use WiTopia Personal VPN PRO service myself and I connect to gateways worldwide as much as possible. Ubuntu security is quite robust and it is very tamper resistent especially if you turn off remote connections to your Ubuntu PC and you don't host servers. Ubuntu pushes out updates and security patches within a few hours every day and this is another major security plus compared to Windows or OS X. Patching security vulnerabilities is very fast in GNU/Linux and Ubuntu has a leading track record.

Finally, you have to consider the user's needs. GNU/Linux and Ubuntu is not for everybody. If a PC user has to use ISV certified software applications, then I recommend Microsoft Windows or OS X if it meets their needs. Otherwise, I think that Ubuntu is best suited for personal PC owners and select enterprise scenarios such as servers or hosting public and private or hybrid clouds.

Most people use Linux every day and they don't even realize it. Linux powers the Internet and it hosts critical services that affect hundreds of millions of users regardless of which PC they own or use and the operating system that they use daily.

Mikecore
October 8th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Done fooling around, Switched to apple, no more broken packages, no more reloads, it just works.

mamamia88
October 8th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Done fooling around, Switched to apple, no more broken packages, no more reloads, it just works.

except when it doesn't. i'd much rather have a problem on linux then a problem on osx since the user base is much more technical and may actually provide a solution. just saying. nobody forces anyone to fool around in linux. i could use ubuntu but i chose arch? why? because i don't believe everything has to be handed to me on a silver platter and some challenge now and again actually makes the computer more fun to use. you can't appreciate a working system without breaking one occasionally.

Mikeb85
October 8th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Go Xubuntu! I think it's the best of Canonical's offerings.

I actually have found a couple games that didn't work in Wine: Civ V for instance, and lately Lord of the Rings Online (even with PyLOTRO) has stopped working mysteriously. But yes, a high proportion of Windows software actually does run in Wine.

Civ 5 works very well in Wine actually...

Mikeb85
October 8th, 2012, 11:37 PM

Until Apple changes things and decides your hardware isn't worthy of said change...

rhlegion
October 8th, 2012, 11:42 PM
I use a duel boot Ubuntu on my laptop (because i was forced to put windows back on it, :cry: but never really need it for anything at all)

On my main desktop I use a duel boot of Windows 7 & Arch linux
(Windows for gaming and compatiblity and Arch because... well it's just awesome) \\:D/

Confused2570
October 8th, 2012, 11:56 PM
I've used a dual boot of Xp and ubuntu since buying my new laptop! And I have to say, ubuntu is the best!

eddier
October 9th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Many moons ago I migrated from Amiga to PC/Windows98 then to XP.

I was constantly harassed by all kinds of back door nasties and the various tricks used by websites to gain my email adress or the contents of my wallet.

To allow unfettered access to the core OS components via the web is in my opinion almost criminal--akin to giving away skeleton keys for all doors and cars etc. A bit like a bank selling wealthy customers bank details to the highest bidder!

There is even a false Anti virus,that wont let you access the internet unless you pay them for the key to the door.

Since discovering LINUX (about 10years ago) its been absolute heaven,a bit like losing the noisy and nosey neighbors. Next doors dog has stopped barking and I dont get anymore crap through my letterbox.

Linus Torvalds,Richard Stallman I love you guys and all those that follow in your footsteps.Not to mention those Heroes that step up and answer lesser mortals problems, Salut!):P

eddie

Information Technology
October 9th, 2012, 03:15 AM
How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I was introduced to Unix based OSs in the 90s, when I first had access to Sun OS. Since then it's been hard to not want to be on Unix. I can't say that I love "Linux" above all forms of Unix, though. Berkley BSD is still great.

journeyhome
October 10th, 2012, 06:07 AM
I just did that and have to consider how to play my games, e.g., CoDs, Diablo III, etc..

moodle
October 10th, 2012, 10:10 AM
I keep windows for printing. Ubuntu printing drivers are unreliable. That's all.

kow777
October 10th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I keep windows for printing. Ubuntu printing drivers are unreliable. That's all.

HP has very good support for Linux, at least in my experience.

zendob
October 10th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I still have windows 7, for games mainly, crysis and suchlike, though most of my old games don't work on new windows anyway, so will try vm versions one day; most of my machines are linux now, got wife on jolicloud :), daughter on ubuntu 12.04, son on ubuntu and windows for games. they aren't really literate, just users, using browsers, email, skype mostly. I use ubuntu, fedora, freebsd (for freenas), mint, debian regularly. At work i have windows XP getting me into RHEL and AIX.

bill-lancaster
October 10th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I did so about 7 years ago!

litiform
October 12th, 2012, 09:08 PM

I've switched to Linux for everything except ONe thing: Exact Audio Copy.

I really like EAC, and find it hard to give up.

starsnova
October 13th, 2012, 01:18 AM
linux is getting closer to being a gaming os but still has a ways to go XP w/dual boot the only way for now

mamamia88
October 13th, 2012, 05:29 AM
I've switched to Linux for everything except ONe thing: Exact Audio Copy.

I really like EAC, and find it hard to give up.

Gold rating in wine. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1190 sure you could find a decent mp3 ripper or flac ripper though

arhunter
October 14th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Greetings:
I have no windows OS on any of my machines and made the total switch over in 1999. Have been able to accomplish pretty much everything I need to do with out Micro Soft OS. Best thing I ever did...

Uncle Spellbinder
October 14th, 2012, 05:16 PM
I'm not much of a PC gamer and I don't use Photoshop. So the switch was no-brainer for me.

canhoto
October 14th, 2012, 11:20 PM
The only single app that keeps me attached to Mac is: OmniOutliner.

So, I keep using my Macbook. But my main computer, my desktop computer, has Kubuntu on it. It has Mac OS on another drive, but I never use it. The limitation is the fact that it's a power pc Mac and fundamental things like Wine and, especially, Flash and Dropbox don't work in Linux Power PC.

The day I find an alternative to OmniOutliner for Linux, I will probably switch completely to Linux. Especially because my next desktop computer will certainly be a normal PC in which I will erase windows (blarrghh) and install Linux, and then have flash, Dropbox, Wine, etc.

I'm sick of Apple. If it had the power of Microsoft, it would be much worse. So, OmniOutliner is the trigger missing.

Ale1556
October 15th, 2012, 04:34 AM
I switched completely to Ubuntu 12.04 in May 2012 and have had some issues, but overall do not regret my decision. I miss playing some games which I had purchased through Steam, but oh well. One thing however I did not anticipate was the inability to stream Netflix in Linux. I've read up on the info available in the forums and looks like the topic has been beaten to death. Linux is great, I have no issues (for the most part), and with the help of the many people on these forums, I was able to hit the ground running. If you are unsure of switching, keep the dual boot, but once your ready, go for it and don't look back. Learning Linux has made a huge difference in how I use computers, and that is something I could not have done with Windows (98 through 7).

Santaman
October 15th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I've got a whole lot of machines that can't run Linux, mainly my XT's 8 bit Atari's, Atari ST's Commodore 64's and MSX's won't run it, neither my 286 and 386 machines..
The oldest Linux machine I've ever used was a Pentium 133 with an ancient version of Puppy Linux.

I've got three Xubuntu 12.04 machines, an AM-2 Sempron 2800+, a Socket A Sempron 2200+ and a P-4 machine, the older two are a tad sluggish here and there but function well enough, the AM-2 machine works quite okay. :)

dandroid13
October 16th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I wish I could move, but need Windows because of my studies... (Matlab, ISE...) :(

Trumusiate
October 17th, 2012, 06:51 AM
I wish I could move, but need Windows because of my studies... (Matlab, ISE...) :(

Hello,
have you considered Octave? it's said to be 99% compatible with Matlab...

I completely switched to Linux, I only have an issue with the flash plugin :(

But... everything else just :guitar:

krishna.988
October 17th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Hello,
have you considered Octave? it's said to be 99% compatible with Matlab...

I completely switched to Linux, I only have an issue with the flash plugin :(

But... everything else just :guitar:

Problems like flash and a lot of other silly things which doesn't require the user to bother about are plaguing Linux..

OS should be ready in every way and ready to cater the needs immediately..A user using Windows need not bother whether Flash will cease support, whether my iphone will connect etc. etc..

Until all the issues are fixed, a user cannot completely switch to Linux..and Linux will never gain the popularity in desktop market...

pompel9
October 17th, 2012, 01:51 PM
The flash issue can be solved in two ways. Either install Google Chrome, or install the plugin flash-aid for Firefox.

Ubuntu is the reason I switched completely over to linux. And of course windows 8. I have not regretted it, Ubuntu is amazing. Before I used Ubuntu, windows 7 was my favorite.

pickledegg
October 17th, 2012, 02:13 PM
The only thing holding me onto windows now is photoshop. Its quite frustrating really. I can get CS5 running in WINE but its less than satisfactory. All my other stuff, Sublimetext, filezilla and my other dev tools work fine, in fact, brilliantly.

I do a lot of freelance which is deadline based and I rely on photoshop to just work, so I guess until Adobe get there act together and sort something out, I'll be chained to Windows7 :(

krishna.988
October 18th, 2012, 06:14 AM
The flash issue can be solved in two ways. Either install Google Chrome, or install the plugin flash-aid for Firefox.

Ubuntu is the reason I switched completely over to linux. And of course windows 8. I have not regretted it, Ubuntu is amazing. Before I used Ubuntu, windows 7 was my favorite.

The only thing holding me onto windows now is photoshop. Its quite frustrating really. I can get CS5 running in WINE but its less than satisfactory. All my other stuff, Sublimetext, filezilla and my other dev tools work fine, in fact, brilliantly.

I do a lot of freelance which is deadline based and I rely on photoshop to just work, so I guess until Adobe get there act together and sort something out, I'll be chained to Windows7 :(

This is my point.. Why to bother changing to Ubuntu when things don't work out of box..and there are so many issues plaguing around it...

Linuxisfast
October 18th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Problems like flash and a lot of other silly things which doesn't require the user to bother about are plaguing Linux..

OS should be ready in every way and ready to cater the needs immediately..A user using Windows need not bother whether Flash will cease support, whether my iphone will connect etc. etc..

Until all the issues are fixed, a user cannot completely switch to Linux..and Linux will never gain the popularity in desktop market...

All problems have solutions, flash works right of the box here and have been doing so since version 8.04, now Chrome comes with flash so install it and it works. Nothing is plaguing Linux except the users who are hooked on Windows period, in their case, better for them to stick to it.

krishna.988
October 18th, 2012, 06:53 AM
All problems have solutions, flash works right of the box here and have been doing so since version 8.04, now Chrome comes with flash so install it and it works. Nothing is plaguing Linux except the users who are hooked on Windows period, in their case, better for them to stick to it.

Half of the time goes waste in searching for workarounds and solutions which is not the case with windows..

rickyrockrat
October 18th, 2012, 03:31 PM
This is my point.. Why to bother changing to Ubuntu when things don't work out of box..and there are so many issues plaguing around it...

Having developed and used both Windows and Linux since the 90's, I can tell you there have ALWAYS been issues with Windows. I'm recovering data from a NTFS partition right now for a friend...Windows just decided to wipe the first part of the partion. This list is long. Just look at your updates - if you know where to look, and you will see the thousands of updates, which eventually fill your hard drive.

I too am frustrated by what appears to be lack of extensive testing by the Ubuntu team - especially on LTS releases.

No OS is perfect, but at least in Linux I can find and fix the trouble I come across - instead of rebooting and hoping the problem goes away.

rickyrockrat
October 18th, 2012, 04:01 PM

Ever checked out Gimp, Inkscape, and Blender? Gimp is bitmap based, Inkscape is vector and bitmap (though the learning curve is a little steeper), and Blender, well blender is an amazing 3-d modeler, probably overkill for you.

Chains suck.

rickyrockrat
October 18th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Half of the time goes waste in searching for workarounds and solutions which is not the case with windows..

The truth is any time you contemplate switching to another platform, there is this phase to go through. It's not necessarily Linux, it's that fact that you are going from one place to another. There is education involved.

Perhaps the real issue is that it is easier to complain than to learn, in which case, by all means stay on Windows. There's not much to learn there.

When you start investigating the open source realm, you find that the world you thought was so big just shrunk to an amazingly small dot. It is daunting for one that lacks courage. I've been on Linux 10 years, and I still shake my head at the huge list of free software available for so many fields.

Yes, it does come with a price. You have to learn.

mamamia88
October 18th, 2012, 04:10 PM
The truth is any time you contemplate switching to another platform, there is this phase to go through. It's not necessarily Linux, it's that fact that you are going from one place to another. There is education involved.

Perhaps the real issue is that it is easier to complain than to learn, in which case, by all means stay on Windows. There's not much to learn there.

When you start investigating the open source realm, you find that the world you thought was so big just shrunk to an amazingly small dot. It is daunting for one that lacks courage. I've been on Linux 10 years, and I still shake my head at the huge list of free software available for so many fields.

Yes, it does come with a price. You have to learn.well if you don't like learning by all means avoid windows 8. man i would hate to be a customer service rep with microsoft when that launches.

rickyrockrat
October 18th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I've got a whole lot of machines that can't run Linux, mainly my XT's 8 bit Atari's, Atari ST's Commodore 64's and MSX's won't run it, neither my 286 and 386 machines..
The oldest Linux machine I've ever used was a Pentium 133 with an ancient version of Puppy Linux.

I've got three Xubuntu 12.04 machines, an AM-2 Sempron 2800+, a Socket A Sempron 2200+ and a P-4 machine, the older two are a tad sluggish here and there but function well enough, the AM-2 machine works quite okay. :)

Vector Linux runs on 486, and should work on 386. You need 16M of ram or so, though. It has translucent windows, it's pretty amazing. I know, because I've run it. You are right, the 286 won't run - nobody bothered to port Linux to that or the other 8- bit machines.
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/miscellaneous/version_table.html (Vector Linux version_table)

GreenTaurus
October 18th, 2012, 04:17 PM

Yes, it does come with a price. You have to learn.

You know, its amazing how true this post really is. I keep a gaming PC on Windows 7, and my wife has to use actual MS-Office and Windows for her online university but everything else is open source, and I have to keep learning.

I can do so many more things in Linux (like my DLNA server/firefly(itunes) server/NAT firewall) that I just couldn't do with windows without great expense.

cirelosborn
October 19th, 2012, 04:07 AM
I have 7 machines; 4 of them only run Ubuntu, 2 of them only run another linux distro, and 1 has a dual boot for Ubuntu and Android 4.0. So, I've been solely a Linux/Unix user for over 3 years and my wife has been solely a linux user for over a year.

Macpwm
October 21st, 2012, 11:13 AM
I started using Linux a my primary OS since august 2012. I did not have the need to use my other PC, windows and Mac OSX. As for me I can do everything with Linux.
Really happy to make the switch.

MikeCyber
October 21st, 2012, 11:25 AM
After I've lost all data back on Windows 98, I've bought Suse 5.3 from a local computer shop. Switched to Ubuntu in 2009, as I couldn't get sound working anymore on Suse and Ubuntu was first to introduce online repos.

Well 100% Ubuntu only since Wine 1.2.

leon.vitanos
October 21st, 2012, 03:02 PM
Still a dualboot Windows-Ubuntu user cause of the video editors and 1-2 games.. Have once saw an OMG! Ubuntu poll about it and the results was that 75% have dualboot windows.. so i don't feel bad :popcorn:

mblahay
October 21st, 2012, 03:09 PM
I have an I'm loving it. I use windows in a virtual machine if I need to. Sadly I'm not a big gamer, but Xen might be a way to give you Windows for your graphics intensive games while giving you Linux for everything else.

Simon65
October 21st, 2012, 09:34 PM
I'm a 100% Ubuntu user since version 10.04. Now using 12.04 and still loving it. There's nothing I do on a computer that Ubuntu doesn't do faster and better than windows.

Sector 7
October 21st, 2012, 10:30 PM
I've been a Linux user 100% for a little over two years now. Only time I'm on Windows is at work (not my choice obviously).

I was a little nervous to move over completely at first, but found a month or so after, there was much more that Linux had to offer (to my personal needs) than Windows.

Maybe it's because I'm cheap and like free software or that my friends think I'm uber haxors for some silly conky scripts I write. =)

But in all seriousness, I enjoy troubleshooting and problem solving, so it works out for me.

flying69
October 21st, 2012, 11:06 PM
i wiped windows from my aspire one last week . im still haveing anhard time with doing some of the things i used to do but the only way for me to make the switch is not to have windows to boot from

mmstick
October 22nd, 2012, 02:27 AM
I don't dual-boot, but I do use Synergy. I have my Windows gaming PC on the right (with all the awesome hardware), and I have my Ubuntu 12.10 server right next to it (with ex-gaming hardware and a few 2TB drives for my 5TB anime collection). The moment GPU drivers become widely available for bleeding edge graphics cards and Steam comes to Linux complete, (I have a Steam account with other 500 Windows games on it), I'll go full Ubuntu. Until then, my main PC will always have Windows, though I use my Ubuntu machine next to it a lot.

flavouride
October 22nd, 2012, 09:17 PM
I've been a Linux user 100% for a little over two years now. Only time I'm on Windows is at work (not my choice obviously).

I was a little nervous to move over completely at first, but found a month or so after, there was much more that Linux had to offer (to my personal needs) than Windows.

Maybe it's because I'm cheap and like free software or that my friends think I'm uber haxors for some silly conky scripts I write. =)

But in all seriousness, I enjoy troubleshooting and problem solving, so it works out for me.

+1 same here
would love my boss to switch to an Ubuntu-driven office
can't think of any software being used in my work place which does not have an open-source alternative/freeware linux version

joe_newbie
October 23rd, 2012, 02:30 AM
I have been using linux as my primary desktop since about 2002. My machines been windows free for about 7 years. I sometimes get frustrated by things that do not work how I expect them to, but since I am not a gamer, linux serves my needs very well.

elise17
October 23rd, 2012, 04:19 AM
I've not booted into Windows for a few months now but I'm still quite reluctant to switch over completely..
Fortunately, my two favorite games in windows: Left 4 Dead 2 and Minecraft are available in Linux :3

Chdslv
October 23rd, 2012, 10:09 AM
I am with Linux for a long, long time. I boot into Windows only for one app--Autocad. I use Sketchup in Linux with Wine.

But, I like one Windows app - Word 2000, the best word processor to date. I have LibreOffice, but nothing beats Word 2000. By the way, I use it with Wine. :)

Gaming? That time had long gone, 20 or so years ago...:)

ba5tian
October 23rd, 2012, 10:30 AM
Just moved over to Ubuntu last week but virtualize windows seven in virtualbox, so i can carry on playing dota. Still need to figure out how to install warcraft in Ubuntu under wine.

danelwillis
October 23rd, 2012, 10:40 AM
I still use Windows 7 for making websites, but other than that i use Linux :)

lz1dsb
October 23rd, 2012, 10:41 AM
Just moved over to Ubuntu last week but virtualize windows seven in virtualbox, so i can carry on playing dota. Still need to figure out how to install warcraft in Ubuntu under wine.
I did the same think more than couple of years ago. I still have WinXP and Win7 in virtual machines, just in case. But I find it, that I use them rarely these days. I guess I'm getting used to Ubuntu and Linux in general more and more...
But still, at work I have to use Windows...

thunder686
October 23rd, 2012, 04:09 PM
I have completely switched away from the NSA operating system :).

mike acker
October 23rd, 2012, 04:22 PM
I can't quite claim to be a total switcher yet but this morning i moved my Windows7 system into the basement and brought up my U/box.

My new ASUS PA248 monitor (16:10 format ) came late yesterday so I decided to do the change-out this morning.

so, as of this morning I regard myself as a Linux/bunter user.

at least mainly, and certainly in the spirit.

m3topaz
October 25th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Now moved all house machines to Ubuntu, including a Macbook 13". No more Windows.
I still use a Macbook for meddling around, but cannot see a situation where Windows returns...

Uncle Spellbinder
October 25th, 2012, 11:17 PM
My last bit of Windows was on my laptop. My desktop is Ubuntu 12.04. Well, sort of. Actually Pear Linux 6, an Ubuntu based distro I've grown to truly love. My laptop has SolusOS 1.2. So all instances of Windows are now out of my personal life. Unfortunately I can't do anything about the computers at work! :rolleyes:

MrKappa
October 26th, 2012, 11:49 PM
I have a desktop at home used by me and my wife without problems since 5-6 years with Ubuntu (Gnome-shell). We have no reasons to use Windows.

StoneFoot
October 27th, 2012, 01:14 AM
My Toshiba, which I bought just over a year ago, had its HDD drive slow down so bad, that it was unusable. I had Geek Squad do a check and it appeard the HDD had some sectors go bad. Well, I tried a restore, from the hidden partition, but. . . no go. I had bought a 1 TB HDD and I installed it and loaded 12.10. I will not go back. There is nothing in windows I need.

4dandl4
October 27th, 2012, 01:41 AM
I dual boot with windows XP and Ubuntu 12.04. If Linux would run my IRIScan scanner
I wouldn't need windows.

4dandl4
October 27th, 2012, 01:49 AM
I need to learn wine.

SuperFreak
October 27th, 2012, 01:57 AM
For several months I was using strictly Ubuntu 12.04 on my one desktop until I bought a laptop preloaded with Win 7. I use the laptop as my HTPC connnected to my TV and it works very well using XBMC. I tried setting up a Ubuntu partition on the laptop with XBMC but I couldn't get my Harmony remote to work (works with Win 7) or Sound to come out of the TV speakers. I am sure it is probably due to my own ineptitude but I eventually gave up and erased the Ubuntu partition on the laptop.
I continue to use Ubuntu on my desktop and doubt I would go back to Windows.

madinc
October 27th, 2012, 02:42 AM
No bindows in this house 4 pc's 1 notebook all with ubuntu except one pc that runs ubuntustudio all my gaming is done in linux.

Uncle Spellbinder
October 27th, 2012, 03:42 AM
I dual boot with windows XP and Ubuntu 12.04. If Linux would run my IRIScan scanner
I wouldn't need windows.

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/simple-scan/+question/139890

jroa
October 27th, 2012, 04:21 AM
I only use Windows for Netflix. I wish Netflix would get on board. Everything I need is either native to Ubuntu or I have managed to get working in Wine or PlayOnLinux.

madoshwa
October 28th, 2012, 02:47 AM
The new PlayOnLinux is actually pretty good. im running games like civ4, Medieval 2: total war, and Mount & Blade: Warband. Even old school fps like Unreal Tournament 1999. its running really well, with no complaints. i swore i'd never take windows off of my gaming computer, but 1 week ago i did, and i dont regret it one bit.

MoralAnarchy
October 28th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I completely wiped Windows from my laptop and put on ubuntu 12.04. Luckily fell in love with Linux's customization features. Now I have #! and ubuntu partitioned on my HDD but I can't dig too deep into #! until i configure my wireless drivers which I need a hardwire internet connection for (currently not available.) I will only go back to windows when I build my next desktop so I can run games with little to no hassle.

Bill Tomlinson
November 16th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Picked up one of those Western Digital Media boxes so I get my netflix that way. Last Windows computer no longer needed. :):):)

quentinl
November 16th, 2012, 01:00 AM
only use windows for steam and files that take up large amounts of space

mamamia88
November 16th, 2012, 01:04 AM
Picked up one of those Western Digital Media boxes so I get my netflix that way. Last Windows computer no longer needed. :):):)
yep in my house i have ps3,xbox 360,playstation vita, android phone and blu ray player all of which do netflix. who wants to sit at a desk and watch movies anyway when you could lay on the couch?

StuFranks
November 16th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I only use Windows for Netflix. I wish Netflix would get on board. Everything I need is either native to Ubuntu or I have managed to get working in Wine or PlayOnLinux.
Just saw someone else post a link to a tutorial: http://www.iheartubuntu.com/2012/11/netflix-on-ubuntu-is-here.html
I haven't tried it but it could work!

Alcareru
November 16th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Proud Linux user for about 5-6 years now. The only time I've used Windows since is when there was a school project in which I had to do some XNA (C#) game development, which obviously only works under Windows. I do not play games or use software that doesn't have a native Linux client. Period.

Gster4
November 16th, 2012, 03:03 PM
All linux all the time!!

upgraded from 7 to ubuntu about 9 months ago. wish i did it sooner.

the diffrence between linux and windows is with linux your in the driver's seat, but with windows MS is driving... and your tied up and locked in the trunk:lolflag:

friTTe81
November 16th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I have :-({|=

rmcellig
November 16th, 2012, 03:55 PM
The diffrence between linux and windows is with linux your in the driver's seat, but with windows M$ is driving... and your tied up and locked in the trunk:lolflag:

Excellent way of putting it!! I'm also a Mac user and that would also pertain to Macs and Apple as well. :)

HansKisaragi
November 16th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I have from today.. switched fully to Linux.

After trying Windows 8.. all hope was lost and bashed my head on the desk and went to Distrowatch and downloaded newest distro.

Poof.. Elementary is my new main OS.

DarkAmbient
November 16th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Been pretty much proprietary-OS-free for 5-6 years now. Our 2 (atm) computers here both run Linux. The newer one got Ubuntu 12.10 and the older (this one) one got Arch Linux with xfce.

Got a Xbox 360 though, had it for many years now. Been looking for an alternative as I like console-gaming, bug but can't really find a good more open-platform:ish one, really dislike closed-down profitable-guided platforms. They pretty much ruins the experience with the OS/Software with that approach, kinda like the one you find on Xbox Live. :mad:

sffvba[e0rt
November 16th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Got a Xbox 360 though, had it for many years now. Been looking for an alternative as I like console-gaming, bug but can't really find a good more open-platform:ish one, really dislike closed-down profitable-guided platforms. They pretty much ruins the experience with the OS/Software with that approach, kinda like the one you find on Xbox Live. :mad:

Coming early 2013 - http://www.ouya.tv/

sabrefresco
November 17th, 2012, 06:58 PM
I really want to switch to Linux but the only thing holding me back is the Nvidia Optimus support on it. I use a laptop primarily and need good battery life which is not possible at the moment with the current state of proprietary/bumblebee support for my GPU :(

szymon_g
November 17th, 2012, 07:18 PM
First time I saw Linux was in 2000 (or was it in 2001?), in the Internet caffee- friend of mine was running that, he was hosting files etc for dozen of computers running win98se. I was amazed how good it looked (WindowMaker ftw!), that you could even install windows 2000 on virtual machine etc. It was PLD, kind of fork of Red Hat Linux (it was before Fedora). I bought a book with CDs with Red Hat Linux 7.2 (or 7.1?), even bought a dial-up modem (i had so-called "win-modem") so it would work with 2.2.x kernel (which I had to compile by myself).
Anyway, later I had no computer (I was using my mum's hardware), but when I bought myself a laptop i almost immediately removed windows xp from it. ubuntu 6.04 worked fine. same did debian, arch, opensuse and fedora.
but, well- win7 came out, i pre-ordered it so i've saved more than a hundred of quids, and well- it runs well.
i got new computer- there is no problem with graphic card under windows (it's nvidia)- the newest ubuntu doesn't really work well with it (i have to use recovery mode to boot it into useful state and than install drivers), dvb-t card works flawlessly on windows (no need to use console etc), sound card works fully on windows (yes, it works on linux as well- but only at limited state, just basic functionality). No problems with software, no viruses etc.
and i'm getting older now, i value my time much more than before. configuring, compiling, reading how-tos (quite often- obsolete) isn't fun for me- but rather necessity on linux (unless you wan't to use just the basic, stack software).
so, well- I just use windows. Linux on desktop machine is fun as a hobby, but not really funny when you just wan't to have your job done. or even for entertaining (yes, i know, mythtv works fine and steam is coming too- but it's too little and to late).

badhorse
November 17th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Only Ubuntu since Dapper. My first linux was Red Hat 5, then Suse, Mandrake, Progeny ...Ubuntu is my main and only OS.

Aaron Christianson
November 18th, 2012, 05:51 AM
I'm all Linux unless you count some android devices, which are only linux by the skin of their teeth. They are certainly not GNU/Linux, in any case.

dmac1blah
November 18th, 2012, 06:45 AM

Other then at work..... I just don't touch Windows anymore. I Went from dealing with Windows (From Work Groups to Windows 7 ) to Mac laugh all you want... Holes, poorly written software and closed OS's brought me to the http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity I am now running Ubuntu KDE Plasma and I love it... It comes with a price of leaning some commands, doing things somewhat differently, researching options, and ultimately at least in my case I have a system that is stable customized ... You can run Windows and Linux, you can run Windows apps or even Windows with a VM or Wine

Resistent
November 20th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I have a totally fanless 20 kg desktop PC which I bought in 2004, AMD 64 bit processor with Windows XP (running good). My fanless power supply unit did not want to start my desktop any more. So for some months I used my already 5 year old laptop with a Intel celeron M430 processor with MS vista. I could remember it was very very bad, the MS vista was always horrible slow on the laptop, so I figured out this year, that I need to deactivate the windows search service, so it was faster. But the past years were anyway horrible with it, so I searched and looked for lightweight Linux, and found Lubuntu. I am using now Lubuntu, Windows only for 2 things - the software for my Canon EOS is only for Windows and MAC, and another special software which is only for Windows. I am very happy with Lubuntu, I can adjust so many things. :-)

Tibuda
November 20th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I have completely switched to Linux once, but now I have completely switched back to Windows

Resistent
November 20th, 2012, 08:00 PM
I have completely switched to Linux once, but now I have completely switched back to Windows

Hi Tibuda,

Why ?

Tibuda
November 20th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Hi Tibuda,

Why ?

It works for me. To each their own. For some people it is ubuntu, for some it is not.

AstroLlama
November 21st, 2012, 01:16 AM
This thread was started in the Warty Warthog days. Nine years ago.

edit: whoops, I mean Eight years ago.

syerges
November 21st, 2012, 01:27 AM
Now that I have everything working that I need, I am completely converted to Ubuntu, well Lubuntu, well, kindof... I start with Lubuntu because I don't need/want everything with Ubuntu, then I installed what I did want. Anywho, I think it's time to change my signature thanks soley to this forum because I can now do everything I used to do with Windows and more and faster!!! It took many months but I now LOVE Ubuntu!:P:guitar:

Qwertinsky
November 22nd, 2012, 06:05 AM
Since the nVidia drivers are crap and cause full system lockup I don't see totally switching to Linux ever happening unless we get some real support from nVidia.

weasel fierce
November 22nd, 2012, 07:29 AM
Since the nVidia drivers are crap and cause full system lockup I don't see totally switching to Linux ever happening unless we get some real support from nVidia.

What kind of card do you have? I have never had that happen with 2 different cards ?

I'd be curious if there was another culprit

epikvision
November 23rd, 2012, 04:15 AM
I did. I own 2 laptops that both runs only Ubuntu.

My MacBook Air solely runs Ubuntu 12.10, while my Lenovo X220 runs Ubuntu 13.04. Linux is a convenient system to immerse in programming anyway.

I enjoy running Linux because of the community aspect of it. I can't help but feel glad that not only the software I run is free, but it's also maintained by faithful and true volunteers.

DukeOfMixture
November 23rd, 2012, 08:57 AM
I made the switch

mythic97
November 24th, 2012, 11:29 PM
apart from school i use Ubuntu and have done it for 2 months now and loving it "because dancing paper clips and solitaire aint a good OS"

King Dude
November 24th, 2012, 11:41 PM
I stick with Windows actually, mostly because of compatibility reasons.

A lot of people think that just because I'm a huge supporter of Linux I hate Windows, but that's false. I like both, and it's just a matter of what fits my needs the best. Windows works better with my desktop because I like to game, and not many games I play are supported by Linux. However, if I wanted to make a server system or an unconventional device , I'd choose Linux due to it's versatility.

Dutchmaster
November 25th, 2012, 12:26 AM
I started with Linspire in 2002. Within a year I trashed Windows and have been 100% Linux since on my wife's and my laptop and 2 desktops.

doja
November 25th, 2012, 12:47 AM
I installed Ubuntu first time maybe 3 years ago. But my Wlan didn't worked and without Internet is Ubuntu difficult. I tried it several times and thought I'm stupid that I can't get it run. At that time I didn't know all the problems with drivers.

Two months ago I bought 3TB HDD which XP doesn't support any more. So I bought additionally a new wlan card and since then I have no need to use XP except for some applications I'm still looking for alternative under Ubuntu.

I had already for long time the intention let run XP as long as it is working and then switch over. I like Ubuntu very much and am surprised how good it is running.

Actually I'm using Linux at work for 5 years (SUSE) but there I haven't to care about the installation and administration things.

monkeybrain2012
November 25th, 2012, 01:29 AM
I did, dual boot 10.04 with Win XP for 3 months and realized that I only logged into Windows for may be three times and everytime got bugged by AV updates and Windows updates which shut down the machine. Moreover I realized my total Lucid install takes about 60G with all the data and a complete desktop (I installed a lot of stuffs that I didn't end up using) but XP was also 60G with only a few programs and a fraction of the data files. So I wiped it and no more Windows except in VB (but seldom use)

MyTinFoilHat
November 25th, 2012, 03:16 AM
Completely switched here. Exorcised OSX from my laptop @ home a few months ago and already have my eyes on exorcising Windows from the hardware at work. In fact, I already feel like some sort of Linux Street Preacher. O.o ^.^

Bo Rogers
November 25th, 2012, 08:22 PM
I switched my 7yr old DELL laptop first to Ubuntu in 2011 using 10.4 (it now has 12.4LTS) then two home PC's one DELL the other Compaq. Today I helped my 10yr old daughter install 12.4 on an eMachine laptop that has Windows7.

ElBjorno
November 26th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Apart from my old 486 that I keep around for nostalgia reasons, I haven't used any Microsoft OS on my own machines for at least 4 years.

LuciferRex
November 26th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I currently use Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8 at work. Windows XP on my Desktop at home, and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my Laptop (New to me, might switch my home desktop once I'm more comfortable with it.)

TeamRocket1233c
November 26th, 2012, 11:26 PM
I just about switched, pretty much. Need to get a web connection of my own, a bigger hard drive, a DVD burner, and more RAM for my computer, and I'll be completely switched over.

Currently running Ubuntu 12.10 with Unity on an HP Compaq dc5750.

stephenran
November 27th, 2012, 04:44 AM
My main (previously gaming) Desktop is 100% linux. Use it as a server for all my housemates (couple terrabytes of videos and music) and general use. This thing is a monster. My laptop however is on win7 because I need something to run traktor and maschine on, and even in virtualbox it never seems to run as smoothly as I’d like (and when performing, crashing is NOT an option. That'd give me and linux a bad rap).

Cenko
November 29th, 2012, 09:03 AM
I switched around 3.5 years ago. And now when I have to use windows once in a while for work, I connect to windows servers with rdesktop, and do my job. Most of the time, I hate my life when I have to do anything at windows.

Only thing I enjoy is Microsoft Office, it is way better than libre or open office(well, it is commercial, and hugely funded, that's normal)

fugazi32
November 29th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Haven't had Windows on my PC since 2005.....been a full time Linux user since then. I have to use Windows at work though sadly.

cwf1
November 29th, 2012, 10:47 PM
I am working to eliminate "windows" with exception of my house and cars where they are useful.

Long live UBUNTU!

cyberphrog
November 30th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Haven't had a Windows host for ~10 years. I keep a Win VM for the occasional times when I need to use native MS Office at home. Otherwise, linux does everything needed for family, school, business activities.

picaflor
December 1st, 2012, 02:05 AM
We completely eradicated all ms software from all of our computers last century, probably '97 or '98. Absolutely no regrets. We started out with Red Hat box sets before dsl was available in our area, and we were still using dialup internet service.

ivotkl
December 1st, 2012, 05:46 AM
Hello. I' m not that much of a gamer now (currently 24 years old) but I' ve found they are some nice time-killers (and some great games my laptop cannot run, yet :haha: ) in here.

I would' ve switched completely if not for my wife who is not nearly as geek as I am. I' ve tried to stick her into this, but could not drag her to the great gate Mr. Torvalds opened us.

But, I would still recommend you to switch 100%. If you are a gamer at heart as you claim to be, I bet you will find more than one interesting game.

Jaboba
December 5th, 2012, 04:28 AM
i am trying to completely switch over but my college program is windows based and focused. they only support helping you if you use windows, i find this extremely annoying so i have my laptop dual booted for the time being.

chmegr
December 6th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I do not game (unless you count Tetris :p), but my 2 laptops and desktop are all Linux.

Welly Wu
December 7th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I recently bought a new System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) notebook PC and I upgraded to Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit last night. I made the switch from an ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC with Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1. I strongly prefer GNU/Linux and Ubuntu in particular. It's much easier to learn how to use and there's a lot less troubleshooting and fewer problems to deal with so long as you don't try to change core system functions or files too much. Ubuntu Forums helps a lot to try to figure out the solution to a problem or to get more opinions about trying a particular solution before committing to it locally. The thing that I like about Ubuntu 64 bit GNU/Linux is the fact that it is such a huge base of users worldwide and it is very easy to install and to use on a daily basis. I would say that Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit is more features rich since I have it as well, but it is more difficult to learn how to use. It's not intuitive. Ubuntu is intuitive. It's also prettier than Windows 8. Ubuntu is sleek and modern looking and it is still easy to learn how to use. I chose Ubuntu because it is one of the most secure GNU/Linux distributions that still makes accommodations for user friendliness and usability. I like to upgrade to a newer version for free every 6 months in April or October of each year. It keeps things fresh and interesting. One of the best features about Ubuntu is how little you need to modify the default installation to harden it so it is more secure. The basic security guide is sufficient for most average home desktop users like myself. There's no need to go overboard with security. The opposite is true with Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit. I find that I had to purchase a lot of software security products to harden it because it is a big target. Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit is a lot more secure than Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit. Both are lightning fast, but I give the nod to Ubuntu for speed and performance.

I'm going to be life long Ubuntu GNU/Linux user. I will continue to use Microsoft Windows and Office products in the future, but they will be limited. Ubuntu helps me to stay secure and productive while keeping me entertained with fairly rich multimedia premium content. It makes my life much better and more enjoyable to use Ubuntu. It's like a drug except there's no side effects and it's not fatal.

krishna.988
December 7th, 2012, 12:10 PM
@Welly Wu

I agree with you...

But with Ubuntu workarounds workarounds workarounds for simple and basic things...

Flash Support, Mobile application like KIES Itunes, Adobe CS Suite, Office 2013 ( can never do things with Libreoffice as it seems to be buggy) Video tearing issues etc.. puts me off to completely switch to ubuntu...

And now I have removed Ubuntu completely after using it for a month (Sep 2012) I planned installing it after a long time to see how it is I think after 2009..but disappointed

Now I'm very happy with Win 8 and Office 2013 (Both I got for free like Ubuntu.. u know how ;))

Trammer
December 7th, 2012, 11:57 PM
And now I have removed Ubuntu completely after using it for a month (Sep 2012) ...

Why do you hang out on an Ubuntu forum :confused::confused::confused:

monkeybrain2012
December 8th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Why do you hang out on an Ubuntu forum :confused::confused::confused:

Trolling. Check the post history, almost all his/her posts are about how Windows is better and they are almost identical in content.

mythic97
December 8th, 2012, 12:33 AM
^ Steve is that you? (krishna.988) stop promoting windows 8 well any how valve are moving to Linux (gaming ticked) and Ubuntu for android is coming so start walking or running windows is doomed and is there going to be a new windows OS? heard they are stopping with 8

verzx
December 8th, 2012, 12:41 AM
I want too but until I can play most of the games on it, I won't be fully switching over. Would love too though, really would.

Trammer
December 8th, 2012, 12:42 AM
I want too but until I can play most of the games on it, I won't be fully switching over. Would love too though, really would.

Steam to the rescue!

tetractys
December 10th, 2012, 01:03 PM
It's about 2 years i use exclusively ubuntu on my desktop, subnotebook, and recentrly Nexus 7 is in test.

No problems at all.
I play too. a Windows game. Eve Online with the help of wine 1.5.18.
Perfect.

Buntu Bunny
December 10th, 2012, 04:08 PM
For my laptop, YES! Xubuntu all the way......

tfcaby
December 10th, 2012, 11:47 PM
I just installed Ubuntu 12.10 two nights ago. I've always heard about it but I've never looked into it because the name just throws me off. I have a Dell Studio of 4 years that has Windows Vista. I just got really tired of all the freezing and lagginess of the OS. I went to BestBuy's website and was browsing through some laptops, all the new ones come with Windows 8. As I was reading the reviews, one of the ones I read spoke about how much they disliked Windows 8 and replaced it with Ubuntu 12.10. I decided to look it up and to my surprise, I took a test drive and turns out I really really liked it. I've completely replaced my Dell Studio's OS with Linux Ubuntu 12.10. I do have another laptop with Windows 7 on it but I don't have problems with it so I'm going to leave that one alone. I am happy with my new OS on my Dell Studio laptop! I was this close to trashing it too! LOL! I guess Ubuntu saved my laptop. Now, I have to learn the ropes on this OS in terms of doing more personalized things with it. And that's why I"m here in the forums.

#1udancqSHv%
December 13th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Getting there...!!

I've tinkered with Linux quite a few times over the years - I first got interested when Red Hat was still free, and before Fedora existed; I think either RH or Debian was my first distro. However, it was always only a matter of time until I got frustrated with trying to configure my installation so I could just get some work done. I think for the past five years or so I hadn't even bothered to try out Linux again.

Well, until my Win7 laptop died, and I bought a new one with Win8 installed, that is!

After an evening of trying to complete even the most basic of tasks with ease on Win8... and failing... I decided it was time to give Linux another go, and checked in at Distrowatch to see what had been going on in the world of Linux while I'd been away.

Next thing, I'd wiped Windows off the laptop, and after a few tussles with unfamiliar partition tables and UEFI, I'd installed Ubuntu - and it just worked! I couldn't believe how easy it had become to install and use Linux.

I now have a multiboot setup on both my new laptop and the family desktop:
- Linux Mint 13 (now 14) for everyday duties/browsing/games etc (thinking about swapping this to Xubuntu or maybe Ubuntu with MATE/Cinnamon),
- Ubuntu Studio 12.10 for audio work (with Renoise installed too, will probably buy Bitwig Studio too, when it comes out),
- Ubuntu Server 12.10 for testing and learning about how servers work,
- Manjaro 0.8.2 for development work and tinkering.
I've still got a Windows 7 partition on each, but I haven't needed to boot either for about three weeks now!

My 6yo son and I both use Mint day-to-day, and I've installed Mint on my 60yo mother's laptop - she loves it! My sister wants Ubuntu/Mint on her laptop too.

My wife is currently resisting any efforts to install on either of her work laptops (she's a web developer), but largely because she's worried about not being able to use Dreamweaver and PaintShopPro... hey-ho, I'll keep working on her. ;)

All in all, I've been very pleasantly surprised how easy I've found the move to Linux this time. If things carry on like this, I can see me wiping those Windows 7 partitions in the near future.

Cheers,
J

PS I am aware that this thread was originally started in 2004(!!) and was last touched two days ago, but this is surely a perennially relevant topic.

dark mavis
December 14th, 2012, 03:36 AM
i'm almost there not touched windows for a few months just had/ having a few minor issues that might cause me to put windows back on, firstly compatibility problems with libre office and the college pcs (power point mainly), secondly netflix I’ve had it working fine twice now just sound only, thirdly football/championship manager is wanting to take over my life i cant make it work (this might be my incompetency than Ubuntu) the last thing is podcasts i used to download loads from itunes, any sort of package that could do it for me would be ace

mamamia88
December 14th, 2012, 03:51 AM
i'm almost there not touched windows for a few months just had/ having a few minor issues that might cause me to put windows back on, firstly compatibility problems with libre office and the college pcs (power point mainly), secondly netflix I’ve had it working fine twice now just sound only, thirdly football/championship manager is wanting to take over my life i cant make it work (this might be my incompetency than Ubuntu) the last thing is podcasts i used to download loads from itunes, any sort of package that could do it for me would be ace

Gpodder best podcast app ever period.

rrnbtter
December 14th, 2012, 04:39 AM
Greetings,
I have been using Linux exclusively for 3 years. I started out with Puppy Linux because that was the only system that fired up my wifi with out modifications and I couldn't get things going without my wifi. When Ubuntu's driver package caught up with me I switched to it to solve some of the problems I had with software. Today I have been trouble free for so long that I don't need anything else. I currently run Ubuntu 13.04 on a Toshiba Laptop and on my wife's Toshiba Netbook. I have found that Moneydance is a great substitute for Quicken. I also run Virtualbox with Win7 to help me troubleshoot Windows problems for a couple of customers that I have left over since I retired in 2004. But I remote through Ubuntu/Firefox/LogMeIn. I also use Linux based Web creation programs like Kompozer, Bluefish and Gphpeditor. Linux and Wine natively handles any game requirements that I am still interested in. When I think of all of the crap that I gratefully have to deal with on my customers computers that don't exist in Linux, I don't need to complain too much about Ubuntu's few shortcomings. I also still keep a copy of Carolina Puppy Linux installed on my Laptop and use it often. Puppy is trying to grow up a bit so I like to keep in touch.
rrnbtter

ehraaron
December 14th, 2012, 06:19 AM
I'm close to switching to it exclusively -- there are just a few things that I love about Win that I can't give up quite yet.. but as Ubuntu is getting better, I'm becoming more inclined to switch all of my PC's over completely.

mbogevik
December 14th, 2012, 03:30 PM
My main home computer runns PinguyOS 12.04 (Ubuntu based) and W7, since my games do not run in wine.

My wifes Laptop runs PinguyOS 12.04 only, my files server (Mini-ITX) runs XUbuntu.

House computers:
2 pcs. Linux only
3 pcs. Dualboot W7/Linux
3 pcs. W7/XP only

Gaming and home office (CAD and microcontroller tools) is reason for not only running Linux.

What I hope is to run Linux only by the time W7 is obsolete. W8 I really do not want

dannyboy79
December 14th, 2012, 03:33 PM
been running ubuntu since 5.10 breezy badger. there is stil one windows xp machine in my home network for my girlfriend but i got her a laptop which run Ubuntu 12.04 Gnome Classic and she loves it. I currently run 12.04 Xubuntu 64 bit and about to upgrade the MythTV/File server from Mythbuntu 10.04.4 to Mythbuntu 12.04 this weekend. YIPPIE!!

BTW, Since Ubuntu doesn't require much power I am still using 7 old hardware. 1.8ghz C2D, 2GB DDRII ram and an 8400 GS GPU.

linuxcoffeelover
December 15th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I've completely deleted Windows from our house no one even says that word. hopefully when I start on my build there will be more games that run in linux natively. It's funny the only Windows computer that is here now is a friends PC he would be so pissed if I just upgraded him to Ubuntu or mint. kinda funny my parents don't care what their using as long as they can firefox.

joesakaeo
December 16th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Me too. one PC is Window for playing a Game but my laptop us Ubuntu.

addegsson
December 16th, 2012, 10:21 AM
I've been running Ubuntu full time since 2008, works great for me and my family. ;)

agklimit
December 16th, 2012, 02:46 PM
I use multiple computers at home. One is kubuntu, this one I'm typing on is Mint, and I have 2 Windows machines. Can't entirely drop M$ products, as I work in IT support field and must keep up to date with what most clients will have. Eventually, I will probably use only one physical PC, but will run a mix of VMs on it (for that reason it'll have to be a pretty powerful machine). I plan to use Mint as my host OS on that future PC.

Tristan Tonks
December 16th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I'm not a gamer, my gut instinct is that Linux would/could run your gaming better - BUT (and it's a big BUT; Linux still has to emulate so many drivers that key faming tech (like my Razer keyboards, Nostramo, etc, as well as the high end graphics chipsets will take a lot of setting up. I know this would be outside my ability to do quickly. I suspect that if you built a machine specifically for Linux and got it running a bisc config withnetowrking (so a standard install) - you could then get someone who knows what they are doing with it to set you up over the web by giving them access for a couple of weeks and paying them a few quid. That done I think you would be flying - but it will be challenge.

As I said I am not gamer and while I am currently aiming to build a new machine for my Ubuntu over Christmas and the new year I have decided to just leave gaming out of the machine ( I will just stick withthe PS3 etc).

I will still have to use a high end chipset and graohics becuase I am working with Blender all the time - whic is interesting because a lot of games are developed with Blender...

I think the answer depends on how serious you are about your gaming.
Can Linux run faster and more reliably - yes!
Will it take more setting up than a windows machine - YES!
Will it cost more in time and effort - yes!

Should you do it? ... for me , no , for a high end gamer - I think so yes.

yonnie
December 16th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Switched to Linux 5 years ago, no regrets! Have 7 or 8 Linux machines for various business purposes here. Windbows is not allowed for business use on our network, linux only. Of course I repair them and usually talk the customers into trying linux.

TOMBSTONEV2
December 16th, 2012, 10:41 PM
I completely switched to ubuntu about 2 months ago. I switched from windows 7, previously I used windows xp for many years. I find windows to be a stifling series of os's. Windows tells you what you can do with a program, whereas with ubuntu you tell ubuntu what to do with a program.

I have a dual boot system with ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and Back Track 5 R3. I will never go back to windows.:D

Gaygerbil
December 17th, 2012, 12:33 AM
I've completely switched to Linux on all the machines I use/used. On my old netbooks I only had Ubuntu 9.10 and Xubuntu 12.04 on the more recent one. On my very old laptop I only had Ubuntu 8.10, on my desktop I only have Lubuntu 12.10.

I could care less for what Windows has to offer I have an Xbox and my desktop while it can handle gaming I'd rather wait until Steam becomes a bigger success on Linux. Of course for someone like my Gf who has school she simply can't switch off from Windows lol.

pierceTN
December 20th, 2012, 02:24 AM
for 2 1/2 years ;)

5 Ubuntu computers in the house, also 2 Ubuntu severs :popcorn:

QDR06VV9
December 20th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I've been running Ubuntu full time since 2008, works great for me and my family. ;)

Same Here.. Work Still has windows but that will change after January, I get to bring in 3 machines with linux installed for training,(Android Helped to soften any resistence):popcorn:

khometmibro
December 20th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I used to use ubuntu 2.5 years ago, and I would not have been able to completely switch to ubuntu back then.

I installed 12.10 a week ago and was pleasantly surprised. This OS is a lot more user friendly now, and more fun to use. All the windows only applications I really need work well on wine (some old games work much better on wine than on windows), and thanks to the unity engine some really awesome game titles are coming to linux very soon (e.g. War for the overworld, etc).

I don't think I'll ever need to switch back... windows is just too sluggish for me.

As long as you know a few basic terminal commands, I think this OS can easily replace Windows for the average user's needs

bhkino
December 20th, 2012, 05:57 PM
I am more or less new to ubuntu. In most things I don't want to use windows any more but with MS office I could write VB code but how to do that with LibreOffice I just cant do it. I have taken 2 quarters of Java, and VB but how to do this?????

Kirk Schnable
December 23rd, 2012, 05:10 AM
I theoretically have Windows 7 dual booting on my laptop, but I don't think I've booted into it in ~6 months. (It's on there exclusively for gaming, but most of the games I really enjoy either work well enough in WINE or have a Linux version). I've gotten very far away from Windows in my personal life, and as most of my work computers are going Linux, I'm getting pretty far away from Windows in my professional life as well.

There was a time when I, like many other people on this forum, was just starting out with Linux. I found myself using WINE almost exclusively, to run things like Microsoft Office, Trillian Instant Messenger, etc.

Then, I realized one day that I was just using Linux to run Windows programs, and this wasn't doing me any good. So, I went back to Windows.

Eventually, I came up with a reasonably good solution. I really wanted to like Linux, but I was too attached to my traditions in Windows. There were some things in Linux that I really liked, for example as a web developing hobbyist, I enjoyed the ability to mount SFTP locations and edit my files in Gedit with awesome syntax highlighting.

So I found an application called Syngery, (keyboard and mouse sharing across multiple computers) and I set up a 3 monitor desk. 2 monitors for Windows 7, 1 for my new Linux box, and I used Synergy to enable me to have 1 keyboard and mouse for both.

Eventually, what I found was I was doing more and more things over on my Linux screen... so I made 2 screens for the Linux computer, and 1 for the Windows computer.

After a few more months of this, I found I was hardly ever using Windows for anything and that screen would be better suited to running Linux..... so I unplugged my Windows box completely, and upgraded my graphics on the Linux machine to support 3 monitors.

I haven't really looked back. I am still dual booting Windows 7 on my ThinkPad, but I never use it anymore as I said earlier. I am about as converted as I'll ever be. I have no regrets.

Looking back on the experience, I feel like I quite literally freed myself from the shackles of Windows, and I think my life is better as a result. I enjoy helping newcomers on the Ubuntu Forums solve their problems, because if I can help them keep their minds open to Linux, maybe they'll eventually be able to see things the way I do, and will keep using Linux.

IsaacJGL
December 24th, 2012, 01:53 AM
I have almost completely switched to linux, like you, I am a gamer at heart too, and the games on windows I play are too fun to give up. :P

Danw12
December 24th, 2012, 11:29 AM
(Previous post)

Once again my setup has changed, I have two routers running DD-WRT linux which perform various server tasks in my home,

I have my main PC dual-booted (Ubuntu/Win7) and my laptop is windows but has several linux virtual machines which I regularly use. (This includes multiple instances of Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, and CentOS).

I have recently fitted a new server in the company which I work - running Ubuntu. The company also have a couple of VPS which are CentOS based (I manage these).

I also have been fiddling with my Virgin Media VBox HD - I'll edit this post with a link to more info at a later date, but these run Linux too!

I have a VPS of my own running Fedora also, and my Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android JellyBean, so linux has stepped back in to my life, and is pushing windows out once again! (That's the way it should be!) :p

Have a great Xmas and happy new year all!
- Dan

deadcat45
December 27th, 2012, 08:35 AM
If I could get Aion to work on Ubuntu I would completely get rid of Windows. My laptop is completely Linux but Windows 7 is on my desktop

fulopattila122
December 29th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I have completely wiped out Windows 3 years ago and never looked back. In this year I also gave a try to OSX as I replaced the PCs with MACs, but Ubuntu is just better for me (I can read it's fonts much better). So now I'm writing this from an iMac running Ubuntu 12.10. OSX is however almost equally as good.

mamamia88
December 29th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Me I have. Even threw out my windows 7 disks when de cluttering the other day that's how confident i won't be going back anytime soon.

ibjsb4
December 29th, 2012, 04:58 PM
I haven't (theoretically) used windows since I installed 8.04, but it keeps coming back. Like a bad coin :)

Im on a Dell right now and it came with an infested copy of XP so it got wiped without regret.

My server Had nothing on it from the start so no problem there, its been pure ubuntu since 8o4.

But now Santa brought me a laptop with win7 on it and even if I don't use it, I can't see just throwing it away so its dual boot for it.

Its like a bad coin I tell ya :)

Oh yes, and my little android netbook (7"). Handy at the local internet cafe, but spends the rest of its time in the desk drawer.

Althusian
December 30th, 2012, 05:43 PM
One laptop running Ubuntu 10.something, and another laptop and a netbook running Lubuntu (which I like a lot!).

I've partitioned two of 'em to keep Windows available. Sometimes need Windows to edit complex msdos .doc or .docx documents originating on colleague's machines; completely abandoning Windows isn't really an option.

Slaygod
December 30th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I'm a dual guy myself. I have a few programs that either have a garbage rating on WINE, do not run well, or have no well-done Linux alternative imo. Those are mostly games, however, with the announcement of Steam on Linux, I may as well go full-out Linux soon. :)

HermanAB
December 31st, 2012, 11:05 AM
A Windows update screwed up my last dual booting machine...

NeoGreen
December 31st, 2012, 08:44 PM
I have a dual boot system, but majority of the time use my Linux OS.

Hawkway
December 31st, 2012, 10:15 PM
I still have applications that are not supported in Ubuntu, like Adobe Premiere, so I need to keep Windows for now.

3dmatrix
January 1st, 2013, 05:02 AM
I still have applications that are not supported in Ubuntu, like Adobe Premiere, so I need to keep Windows for now.

Do you HAVE TO use Adobe Premier ? Have you tried editors in Ubuntu ?
Some are very good. May be if you can find an alternative, you might never have to go back to Windows. Start a thread there and I hope there would be many people who would be able to guide you to an alternative to Premier. I am not a Adobe Premier guru but when i used it some years back, I did not find it too great.

omelette
January 4th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Almost exclusively Linux-based for more than 6 years. 'Almost' 'cos I still have a Vbox'ed XP that finds regular use, mostly for Natural Reader and Delphi 7. Delphi 7 does run on Wine but it's too buggy and can't be used for serious work. Similarly, a early version of Natural Reader runs on Wine, and which I use daily, but many of the essential functions don't work at all.

Jack Waugh
January 5th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Since I work on web sites, I have to test them with Microsoft Internet Exploder. My computers are all old and not fast enough to run a virtual machine, so I reserve one computer to run Win-doze.

pal8
January 5th, 2013, 03:26 PM
I'm a long time Mac OS user but is now trying to work in Ubuntu on a HP. Have done so for app 3 months but been using Ubuntu for a couple of years out of curiosity. It works pretty ok.

In general it's still a big difference. Mac OS works so smooth. Designing is harder in Ubuntu. I lack the flow, which is hard to explain if you're not a designer. But it works with Inkscape and Gimp, but with glitches here and there. For web. Any print would be harder.

I don't like that apps close when closing the last window. Thought I would get use to that, trying not to have a Mac OS mindset. But I must say that this is a downside and good thinking of Apple. I now see how good they are with being user friendly (Mac OS that is, don't like iOS). Would be great if apps would keep running in Ubuntu too.

Working with Web Development works very good, though I lack some smooth apps, such as a good ftp app. There's no question that commercial apps are generally better, with some exceptions. So far. Besides that the environment with apt-get is great.

I'm curios to where Ubuntu is going. More design thinking and the future is promising.

jedispork
January 5th, 2013, 05:35 PM
anydvd was one of the few things keeping me on windows. Now I don't need it anymore. With most newer movies coming with ultraviolet codes and walmarts disc to digital through vudu program I'm no longer interested in backing up movies. With a roku box I can stream most of my movies in HD wherever I want.

Once I finish playing some of the games I have installed I'm going to redo my system. I will be moving windows 7 to a spare drive and use the bios for switching to it as needed so I won't even have a boot menu with win 7 on it. If I ever switch out this pc that my win 7 is tied to I will go without it. I'm building a ubuntu steam box for setting up in my theater room. Maybe soon we won't need a console or windows to play games however I may consider purchasing a ps4 if it doesn't work out.

Other than that I think my garmin still requires windows but soon I will switch to 99% ubuntu.

0rigie
January 5th, 2013, 09:13 PM
exclusively on my netbook, but my TV's (3 so far) are connected to Windows 7 media center (Clear QAM). Currently using one to stream recorded content via iis7 WebDAV folders to ipod/iphone 4g. The two other laptops are still 7...

Gremlinzzz
January 6th, 2013, 04:41 PM
:popcorn:When i buy a new computer,i use windows tweak it,then dual boot with a linux system.

kinemagician
January 6th, 2013, 07:19 PM
I am still using Windows for:
- Autocad;
- Solidworks
- Adobe Illustrator
Unfortunately you cannot find any similar
packages under Ubuntu.

yabbadabbadont
January 6th, 2013, 07:43 PM
I think the last time that I booted into Windows on this machine was in March of 2012 when I filed my taxes.

datasin
January 7th, 2013, 09:11 PM
I have not used Windows since Windows ME came out.

danyc05
January 8th, 2013, 04:30 AM
I think once Adobe products are supported on Ubuntu, I'll be able to make the full switch. I'm a college student who uses Photoshop frequently and gimp is good but does not compare to Photoshop.

I'm getting a new laptop in a few months and I'm considering putting Ubuntu on it with windows 7 on virtualbox.

zagvot
January 8th, 2013, 03:37 PM
im new in ubunto so far so good... reading/viewing all stuff to have knowledge

yet i also use windows for job
(personal use = ubunto)

zagvot
January 8th, 2013, 03:37 PM
im new in ubunto so far so good... reading/viewing all stuff to have knowledge

yet i also use windows for job
(personal use = ubunto)

ICouldBeAnyone
January 12th, 2013, 01:22 AM
I switched to Ubuntu early 2012 on a computer I built, no dual boot. While my laptop was still running Microsoft Windows XP Professional. When I got used to Ubuntu and realized how good it is I formatted my laptop and I installed Ubuntu.

I used Microsoft Windows for programming in C# but when I switched to Ubuntu I started using Python, my first ever published app was for Ubuntu!

Ubuntu is my fav OS, I even try to "convert" my friends! :p

aronwalker
January 12th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Once I bought a computer with this thing called vista on it, so I downgraded to xp and then dual booted ubuntu. Xp is now broken and I haven't had the time to remove it, so ubuntu is now my main os - it did everything xp did, but free!

animaguy
January 12th, 2013, 07:25 PM
I am open to using Windows or Mac OSX but currently there is no reason for me to do so.

benjaminjames
January 12th, 2013, 09:45 PM
I have Ubuntu 12.04 on my desktop as i love it :), my other half hates linux with a passion because "its not windows" so she has windows 7 on the laptop. Oh and in February i will have ubuntu on my Gnex too !!!

zom_b98
January 12th, 2013, 10:39 PM
If I could keep sound after every update I would always use 12.04 But after every update, I lose sound, so I use Win Xp

jeehyun
January 13th, 2013, 04:07 AM
In my country, all the important public service support only IE.
E-banking, E-shopping(not like ebay, amazon), E-government, E-court only available on IE.
Even legal multimedia download service too.
100% people use windows now.
Mac users must install windows for that public service.
So I must use windows too.
I installed vmware player on ubuntu for windows xp.
It's annoying.

But Ubuntu will be my main OS.
I don't want to buy new OS license any more.
It's too expensive.

):P

jazzabrotha
January 14th, 2013, 01:25 AM
In my country, all the important public service support only IE.
E-banking, E-shopping(not like ebay, amazon), E-government, E-court only available on IE.
Even legal multimedia download service too.
100% people use windows now.
Mac users must install windows for that public service.
So I must use windows too.
I installed vmware player on ubuntu for windows xp.
It's annoying.

But Ubuntu will be my main OS.
I don't want to buy new OS license any more.
It's too expensive.

):P

What country is that, if I may ask?

mandarke
January 14th, 2013, 06:28 AM
south korea.

andresmize
January 14th, 2013, 03:47 PM
I am Linux novice and have used Ubuntu since 10.04 . I use Windows only for my Garmin GPS .It is easy to use Ubuntu not being a nerd

Rich55
January 15th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Have tried to switch completely. I still have a lot to learn. Example software update for my a***oid only comes in .exe format. I'm not sure how to run the update of a .exe file in Linux and install in a rooted phone. So much can be done with Linux it will take a while.
The up side is I have the oldest pc (9+ years)in my family, of which there are many as I am a Grandpa. Mine is by far the fastest. Love it!

Conscript
January 15th, 2013, 08:05 PM
After seeing the weirdness of windows 8 and the vomiting that occurred after using it, the furthest I will go with windows is XP SP3. Other that things like netflix, I will never use windows for anything that I don't have too.

Even then, that virus they call windows will be kept in a virtual machine on my Ubuntu machine.

Poo poo on windows. May your malware proliferate, and your hardware fail...

Rsxhawk
January 15th, 2013, 11:49 PM
I've been using Linux for quite awhile with Ubuntu on my laptop but for the longest time I ran Win7 on my main desktop rig. I just recently built a new desktop and decided to run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and virtualize my old win7 desktop. So now whenever I need windows for something if for some reason it won't run in Wine, I load up my VM and boom, I have windows again. Plus, the wife still needs it for her school web applications that require Internet Explorer (gag).

But yea I guess as of a couple weeks ago, I'm pretty much all Linux!

Joelb955
January 16th, 2013, 01:19 AM
Well my moms friend who thinks he knows everything about computers decided to upgrade her laptop to Windows 8. I have been getting non stop questions on how to do things because of the fact that windows 8 doesn't have an adequate tutorial. So I explained to her how Microsoft will not likely be going back to the way old things are and in a while Windows 7 will be unsupported. So I switched her from Windows 8 to Linux. Then I decided I might aswell switch too, Haven't used it in a couple years. So has anybody else here switched from Windows 8 to linux? What are your reasons?

Transhumanist
January 16th, 2013, 01:38 AM
I switched our household over to Ubuntu exclusively midway through 2012.

I sometimes load up a virtual machine with Window$ on it so that I can use Rosetta Stone (language learning software) or Maple (algebraic manipulation software). I have stopped gaming temporarily until Valve releases all their games on Linux (i.e. when they release their Steam Box with Half-Life 3 on it).

I hate Window$. I hate Micro$oft. I am so utterly over supporting and putting up with their crappy products, crappy ecosystems, and hatred of openness and progress.

The only reason IE6 wasn't the last IE as they claimed it would be was because Firefox threatened their market share. They are an abysmal company.

I will be required to code exclusively in C# in Visual Studio for the next 2 years of my degree, because Micro$oft has bought off my university. I am going to kick and scream the whole way.

Don't get me wrong: Apple is every bit as bad. But they're a bunch of snobby elitist fools, so they've never managed to dominate markets like Window$ has, largely mitigating their threat.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
January 16th, 2013, 01:40 AM
i switched during the age of vista (ubuntu 10.04)
i run xubuntu now (12.10)
my custom setup:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12358471&postcount=175

Transhumanist
January 16th, 2013, 01:43 AM
I switched when I got fed up with where I saw Microsoft going with Windows 7 (i.e. I switched in 2012). I should have switched earlier, but I was lazy. I had previously used Ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04.

I have heard of many people like you, who have switched to Ubuntu after having tried the trainwreck that is Windows 8.

Well done! Drop by any time you have some questions. Linux is different to Windows and there will be a learning curve at first - as there was the first time you ever used Windows. Don't let it put you off and we're here to help. :)

rickyrockrat
January 16th, 2013, 02:21 AM
Well said, Transhumanist.

tgalati4
January 16th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Windows 98 was pretty crappy, so I left for good. Been running Ubuntu and Mint ever since.

Nburnes
January 16th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Windows 98 was pretty crappy, so I left for good. Been running Ubuntu and Mint ever since.

Well Win98 came out in '98 and Ubuntu was released in 2004...so what?

jerome1232
January 16th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Well Win98 came out in '98 and Ubuntu was released in 2004...so what?

That awkward moment when you say the impossible. Unless the poster meant they switched to Linux in '98 (since Linux was released with GNU in '91) and has used Ubuntu since Ubuntu's release?

eenofonn
January 16th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Well my moms friend who thinks he knows everything about computers decided to upgrade her laptop to Windows 8. I have been getting non stop questions on how to do things because of the fact that windows 8 doesn't have an adequate tutorial. So I explained to her how Microsoft will not likely be going back to the way old things are and in a while Windows 7 will be unsupported. So I switched her from Windows 8 to Linux. Then I decided I might aswell switch too, Haven't used it in a couple years. So has anybody else here switched from Windows 8 to linux? What are your reasons?

While I'm all for helping people use whatever they want to you shouldn't feel like you have to switch to Linux right away. Xp support is ending in 2014 so I doubt we'll see Windows 7 support end as soon as you might be thinking. With that said there are ways to make Win8 look more like Win7 (Classic Start) to name a project that I know of. So if your mom is resistant to change you could always look in that direction.

Unity isn't my cup of tea but none of the Window managers really do what I want anymore, and OSX gives me the commercial support and application availability but still provides something I can still run my favorite command line tools in.

Probably the best case scenario is download a few ISOs of different interfaces to live cd's and let her "Distro Shop" some people love Ubuntu while others still like Fedora or Mint etc. Just keep in mind that depending on her computer knowledge she may be more or less inclined to force herself into yet ANOTHER alien environment.

Good Luck!

Version Dependency
January 16th, 2013, 07:10 AM
A few years back, my machine running WindowsXP died so I bought a new computer...that came with the new Vista. I thought GREAT! I played with Vista for two hours...then wiped the hard drive and installed Ubuntu 9.10. Windows has been dead to me ever since.

Transhumanist
January 16th, 2013, 08:03 AM
OSX gives me the commercial support and application availability but still provides something I can still run my favorite command line tools in.

And is maintained by a woeful company with a hatred for open systems and standards. It's not a solution to the failures of Windows 8, since it is an intellectual dead end.

That's not to say I don't think it has its use cases: clearly you've decided that you're willing to fork over very large amounts of cash to that company for whatever reason. But it's not a use case I would be caught dead promoting to somebody who wants to switch away from the locked down, Apple-imitating ecosystem of Windows 8 - and I say this as somebody who has owned and maintained a few Intel Macs (unfortunately).

eenofonn
January 16th, 2013, 08:28 AM
And is maintained by a woeful company with a hatred for open systems and standards. It's not a solution to the failures of Windows 8, since it is an intellectual dead end.

That's not to say I don't think it has its use cases: clearly you've decided that you're willing to fork over very large amounts of cash to that company for whatever reason. But it's not a use case I would be caught dead promoting to somebody who wants to switch away from the locked down, Apple-imitating ecosystem of Windows 8 - and I say this as somebody who has owned and maintained a few Intel Macs (unfortunately).
Whoa, got off on the wrong foot there.

By no means did I mean to Put any of them above each other, I use linux/solaris/osx/windows on a daily basis and consider myself to be an operating system junkie.

I'm incredibly happy with my Apple Hardware but that's my opinion, I use dells/home grown/cisco/hp/sun all the time and every one of them has their problems.

By no means am I the stereotypical Apple fanboy :(

... And I did recommend Distro shopping and did not imply in any way that they should move to OSX I just simply stated the reasons I like it (since it's in my sig)

mörgæs
January 16th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Threads merged.

clbaines
January 16th, 2013, 10:17 PM
I have not completely switched to Linux. I have a computer with Windows XP that I use to run Quicken and Netflix. All three of my other computers are Linux. Two with Ubuntu 12.04 and one with Mint 13/Maya.

If both Quicken and Netflix ever get their act together, then it would be no Windows for me.

joco1500
January 16th, 2013, 10:43 PM
You can get a cheep desktop and put Puppy Arcade on it.
It is a distro based on Puppy Linux which is based on Ubuntu.
It has a lot of games like Doom and you can play PlayStation games on it if you connect a controller. And you can also play a lot of other retro games on it.

justin1138
January 17th, 2013, 05:45 PM
I have not completely switched to Linux. I have a computer with Windows XP that I use to run Quicken and Netflix. All three of my other computers are Linux. Two with Ubuntu 12.04 and one with Mint 13/Maya.

If both Quicken and Netflix ever get their act together, then it would be no Windows for me.

I feel your pain. I bought a Dell Mini netbook with Windows XP on it for Netflix and Tomtom Home (to update my GPS devices), but I went to update Windows, and it began spinning in circles. Then I saw that it had no SSD space left. It was choked with Windows fixes and patches. So I just said to hell with it and put Ubuntu 12.10 on it. Now it feels a lot more modern and fresh.

My other computer, an HP netbook, also runs Ubuntu 12.10. I will just take my Tomtoms over to the in-laws house to update them. I already installed Tomtom Home on their machines. Tomtom Home won't work under WINE.

peyre
January 17th, 2013, 07:45 PM
That awkward moment when you say the impossible. Unless the poster meant they switched to Linux in '98 (since Linux was released with GNU in '91) and has used Ubuntu since Ubuntu's release?

That wouldn't be too surprising. Windows 98 was still plenty usable even a bit past 2000. I used it myself on my old laptop until about 2007.

(btw, your signature should read "threw a sword at you")

eenofonn
January 17th, 2013, 10:17 PM
That wouldn't be too surprising. Windows 98 was still plenty usable even a bit past 2000. I used it myself on my old laptop until about 2007.

(btw, your signature should read "threw a sword at you")
I occasionally run into machines running 95 .... it's a crazy blast from the past when you do though :)

Stir
January 18th, 2013, 12:21 AM
I switched over my HTPC hooked up in my living room to Ubuntu about 5 months ago over from Win7 and haven't looked back.

I was so impressed I switched my work PC to Ubuntu about 3 weeks ago and use Virtualbox for Win apps that I still need for work.

Biggest issue for me is that on my work machine 12.10 install CUPS is seriously broken. I can't print to anything. I had to hook up my printers to a different Win7 machine, share them, then add them to my Win7 running in VB.

Only other thing I really miss is Lightroom. I'm using Aftershot Pro but it's not as good.

krishna.988
January 18th, 2013, 09:47 AM
I switched over my HTPC hooked up in my living room to Ubuntu about 5 months ago over from Win7 and haven't looked back.

I was so impressed I switched my work PC to Ubuntu about 3 weeks ago and use Virtualbox for Win apps that I still need for work.

Biggest issue for me is that on my work machine 12.10 install CUPS is seriously broken. I can't print to anything. I had to hook up my printers to a different Win7 machine, share them, then add them to my Win7 running in VB.

Only other thing I really miss is Lightroom. I'm using Aftershot Pro but it's not as good.

Whatever is not working in Ubuntu..you are making it run in Virtualbox windows then what is the whole point in shifiting to ubuntu???:confused:

Jakin
January 18th, 2013, 09:54 AM
\Only other thing I really miss is Lightroom. I'm using Aftershot Pro but it's not as good.

http://www.darktable.org/features/

chron3
January 19th, 2013, 06:08 PM
I switched completely to Ubuntu and have a Win7 partition only for iTunes (iPhone backup) which I don't use very often.

irv
January 19th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Last year I installed a SSD in my laptop and the only OS I installed on it was Ubuntu 12.10 with Unity DE. I started out with 12.04 and have not used Windows since that release. The only thing I kept windows around for was Netflix but now I have a Nook, Asus Transformer Tablet, Bluray DVD player and a Roku box for that so I don't use or need Windows for anything any more. I am totally MS free.
I love Open Source Software.

randi2kewl
January 19th, 2013, 06:45 PM
I go back and forth only because I use adobe products such as photoshop and illustrator. I don't think that I can make the whole move until I have those two on a Linux distro.

irv
January 19th, 2013, 07:06 PM
I go back and forth only because I use adobe products such as photoshop and illustrator. I don't think that I can make the whole move until I have those two on a Linux distro.

That's the problem if you are stuck with a software package you can live without. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Some people thing that running anything but Linux is a sin or something. I paid for all my MS products and if I need them I would use them. I just find now that I am retired I just don't need them any more. It seem that my hobby has become Linux and I love it.
To be honest I like Ubuntu and Android and use them both.

67comet
January 20th, 2013, 03:13 AM
I am 100% Ubuntu in my house (besides my wife's iStuff). The only iffy area is VirtualBox with WinXP for some Lotis Notes documents from the Air Force. Other than that, I use my card reader with Firefox in Ubuntu to access the Air Force Portal and if I run into something that doesn't work I either find a way to make it work, or avoid that area (One of my banks had a portion of their site that never worked; so I closed my account).

I gave up gaming on my desktop (and I've got a screamin' desktop machine), came to grips with the fact that my OS of choice isn't "popular" enough to justify some things I wish it would do automatically.

I also use Ubuntu Server 12.04 for my Web server, media server (Mediatomb) and most recently Ubuntu Server 10.04.4 on a 200mhz Pentium MMX, 256mb PC100 ram, 10, 16 & 2gig hard drive with a few USB HDD connected back up box (Had to install 10.04.4 to get it to work, 12.04 doesn't support the Pentium MMX cpu - no pae).

randywolf244
January 20th, 2013, 04:49 AM
i did and it really didn't affect me all that much. almost all of the games i play on a normal basis are supported by playonlinux. it works with wine to install alot of games as well as several other programs. like the itunes i unfortunately cannot live without

fittzwing
January 20th, 2013, 05:30 AM
I've switched to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on the main house PC and Lubuntu on the netbook and laptop. I use Virtualbox on the PC and laptop because I'm a defense contractor and found that Virtualbox Windows 7 works better than Wine and allows complete compatibility for documents, spreadsheets and programs that are solely Windows based or need to look right on the customer's box. My only beef with Ubuntu/Lubuntu is when I change hardware and have to dig around for fixes to problems and to compatibility issues.

LCornell
January 20th, 2013, 06:00 PM
I cut myself free of Windows completely after about a year of messing with various versions of Linux. Ubuntu has so far proven to be the easiest to install on my system and I hope to stick with it long term but right now I am a little frustrated with the changes after 10.10. Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 are excellent operating systems and I hope someone will bifurcate from there instead of dropping what are clearly well liked and reliable releases. Let Unity become its own branch, or just another desktop option, in the Linux tree and keep supporting Lynx and Meerkat. I would offer to take the project on myself but I am not that deep. Still if I can encourage the supporters of 10.04 and 10.10 to seek refinements within the envelope of those offerings. There is no need, and little wisdom, in letting community entropy either keep us stuck at 10.10 or insist everyone must love unity or perish.

- Free software,... its ubiquitous, or it should be.

greg_ory
January 20th, 2013, 09:21 PM
I rememebr the times when I switched back to Windows because something I thought I need was not working on Linux. I now use Linux for a couple of years without even have any Windows machine in our household and there is not anything I miss. I have to say that I know a lot of guys who love to game on a pc and I believe they have no other choice at the moment to have at least one Windows machine at home but that means not that they cannot have an linux machine for daily stuff.

My 5 cent

-Greg

jajodo
January 20th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Used Dos/Windows primarily from 1981 to 2008

Since then I have been mostly on Ubuntu but forced to use XP on virtualbox for Quicken

I finally cut the cord this month. Transferred 23 years of Quicken data to Moneydance which supports Linux. How sweet it is not to hear that Windows start up jingle!

For all those stuck with Windows just for Quicken, I find Moneydance to be just as capable with an easier user interface and no bloat or ads. My data file decreased from 100 mb on Quicken to 13 mb on Moneydance. It is proprietary and actually runs on Java, but not overpriced and has a very reasonable license. Could not be happier.

irv
January 20th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Used Dos/Windows primarily from 1981 to 2008

Since then I have been mostly on Ubuntu but forced to use XP on virtualbox for Quicken

I finally cut the cord this month. Transferred 23 years of Quicken data to Moneydance which supports Linux. How sweet it is not to hear that Windows start up jingle!

For all those stuck with Windows just for Quicken, I find Moneydance to be just as capable with an easier user interface and no bloat or ads. My data file decreased from 100 mb on Quicken to 13 mb on Moneydance. It is proprietary and actually runs on Java, but not overpriced and has a very reasonable license. Could not be happier.
Years ago I was a Quicken user and I was getting tired of upgrading all the time. Finely my bank got online banking and I use there tools to keep track of my money and where it all goes, and boy does it go. Now I do every thing online and can download anything I need. After years of not using Quicken, I don't even miss it. I exported all my data from it, but have never needed to refer it as of yet.
It really feels good to be free of Windows and all those programs I had to keep updating. And that included virus software.

nemacx
January 23rd, 2013, 12:34 PM
I'm studying Windows Development, so that's mainly the reason why I'm not deleting the Win7 from my computer and not completely migrating to Linux (hypocritical, isn't it? :D).

Windows has got huge possibilities for even further development and stability improvements, but sadly, no one pays attention on that any more, and that's where I just adore Linux!

I'm using Pinguy 12.04 LTS and I've gotta say that I'm thrilled about it! It's heavier than most of the other distros that I've used so far, but for day-to-day use, it's perfect. I have never experienced a crash, slowdown, driver issues or anything else. It's a heavy distro, but still not as heavy as Windows 7.

I would recommend everyone to at least try one of the many distros out there, because really you've got nothing to lose.
And a question, where can I learn more about the basics of using Linux?

Cheers everyone! ):P

JsnSchumacher
January 23rd, 2013, 12:47 PM
I switched completely about 4 days ago with a few yrs of trying and kept going back to windows due to my gaming habit now that i know my way around wine and crossover and getting most of my games I play to work and some basic understanding of linux now its easier than ever for me I doubt I will ever go back. I love Linux to much now for that

mattyasaurus
January 23rd, 2013, 01:58 PM
I completely switched to Linux around a month ago after using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for around 4 months.

I tried other distributions over the space of a few months due to recommendations from a work colleague, but I always went back to Ubuntu.

Can't really say I have missed Windows at all...

Dutchmaster
January 24th, 2013, 12:50 AM
I hate Window$. I hate Micro$oft. I am so utterly over supporting and putting up with their crappy products, crappy ecosystems, and hatred of openness and progress.

The only reason IE6 wasn't the last IE as they claimed it would be was because Firefox threatened their market share. They are an abysmal company.

Don't get me wrong: Apple is every bit as bad. But they're a bunch of snobby elitist fools, so they've never managed to dominate markets like Window$ has, largely mitigating their threat.

Ditto! Liberated from the bondage of Microshaft since 2002. :D

davidvgregory
January 26th, 2013, 12:05 AM
I got rid of window$ about 2 months ago when I finally made the decision to stop playing WoW. Since it was the only thing that I used microsoft for, there was no justification for keeping the partition.

I get my gaming fix with the EA browser titles mostly. The only things I really miss are the Age of Empires titles (0ad in the repos is ok but...)

peyre
January 26th, 2013, 12:13 AM
I got rid of window$ about 2 months ago when I finally made the decision to stop playing WoW. Since it was the only thing that I used microsoft for, there was no justification for keeping the partition.

I get my gaming fix with the EA browser titles mostly. The only things I really miss are the Age of Empires titles (0ad in the repos is ok but...)

Some modern titles do work well in Linux, though. I'm playing Lord of the Rings Online in Wine on Xubuntu, and it runs great--minus that awful hiccup that occurred for a month or two when Turbine released a major expansion/upgrade.

jerome1232
January 26th, 2013, 08:25 PM

WoW happens to be one of the titles that worked nearly flawlessly in Wine fyi.

As a side note, Blizzard announced they are planning a Linux title for 2013 O.O

davidvgregory
January 27th, 2013, 04:04 AM
As a side note, Blizzard announced they are planning a Linux title for 2013 O.O

Nice. They stand to make a lot of money by porting to Linux but most commercial game developers seem to think that the porting / distribution overhead will be greater than the revenue it generates. It'll be cool if someone can prove them wrong in a big way. That just might provide the impetus to take a huge bite out of Microsoft's home-use market share.

serjykalstryke
January 27th, 2013, 08:21 AM
I am a complete Ubuntu user, but have dabled with other linux distros, Bodhi linux being my favorite besides Ubuntu.

I am able to use wine to do SOME gaming, but the available library has expanded quite a bit as of late, so I don't even worry about the gaming issue to much as of late.

MadMax2K
January 28th, 2013, 12:50 AM
We have moved every machine in the office over to Linux Mint except for the machines that need to use Livezilla (doesn't work in Wine grrrrr) and Endicia's Dazzle (almost works well in Wine).

The machines running Linux run unquestionably faster, are so much more secure, and literally maintenance free. As said in the other posts, Linux just works.

The machines still stuck with XP for the reasons mentioned above had of course 12+ security patches yesterday that had to be run, taking the machines offline.

Once we can move the last 2 windows only programs off of windows, we'll be 100% Linux -- and we can't wait! :)
I would switch this very moment if I could find away to use my Endicia Dazzle and get drivers for my Zebra LP-2844 printer. If ever find a way please tell me how and I will compensate you for your effort.

addinall
January 28th, 2013, 01:28 AM

Nope. I still use UNIX.

ibuclaw
January 28th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Nope. I still use UNIX.

I couldn't get anything done in UNIX, so I use in GNU/Linux instead. ;)

crummychrome
January 28th, 2013, 03:02 PM
:frown: How do I make a long story short?...

Regular Windows User here

don't know anything about source code or what all these unreachable files entail

Got a chromebook c710
now running ubuntu 12.10 as "chrubuntu" user 2 days in the race...
actually when i made my account here is when i first went into dev mode and installed ubuntu 12.04 from a youtube video.

SO, my questions are, what do i have to do in the terminal to get programs such as manycam or cyberlink?

how can i tell if my music playing on ubuntu is the microphone output say for a website like http://www.stickam.com/(live video stream chat)

also, i cannot access google+ hangouts because all my browsers say it needs to be installed, you think it was installed incorrectly???

I have all these apps but don't know what they do or mean in the product descriptions.

:confused:anyway - offtopic sorry -- i'm stuck with linux whether i like it or not because i want to do more then surf the web - my mom bought it for me.:-$

peyre
January 28th, 2013, 05:02 PM
:frown: How do I make a long story short?...

Regular Windows User here

don't know anything about source code or what all these unreachable files entail

Got a chromebook c710
now running ubuntu 12.10 as "chrubuntu" user 2 days in the race...
actually when i made my account here is when i first went into dev mode and installed ubuntu 12.04 from a youtube video.

SO, my questions are, what do i have to do in the terminal to get programs such as manycam or cyberlink?

how can i tell if my music playing on ubuntu is the microphone output say for a website like http://www.stickam.com/(live video stream chat)

also, i cannot access google+ hangouts because all my browsers say it needs to be installed, you think it was installed incorrectly???

I have all these apps but don't know what they do or mean in the product descriptions.

:confused:anyway - offtopic sorry -- i'm stuck with linux whether i like it or not because i want to do more then surf the web - my mom bought it for me.:-$

Congratulations on becoming an (admittedly reluctant) Linux user! Linux is easier than people tend to think, though it's also harder in some small ways than Windows. But I find there are also things that are actually easier to do in Ubuntu than in Windows.

From the terminal, in a Debian type Linux like Ubuntu, you type in
sudo apt-get install [program] --so in your case, for instance:
sudo apt-get install manycam

If you want to use the GUI, look for the Ubuntu Software Center. I can't tell you exactly where it is because I'm a Xubuntu user and the Start menu equivalents are different.

sirkeith
January 31st, 2013, 07:18 PM
I went completely to Ububntu about 2 years ago and my wife several months ago. Both of us are over 60, so anyone can do it. Being out from under Windows and Microsoft is truly a relief. I wish I had done it years ago, around the time I was messing with Windows 3.

Hishighness
January 31st, 2013, 08:11 PM
I've almost completely switched now. I like Unity (for the most part) and love multiple workplaces. I installed Windows 7 on another partition so it's there if I need it, but I'd only need that if I wanted to run a game or something I couldn't run in VirtualBox because I also installed it on VirtualBox and have it running in Workplace 2 full screen. So If I need Windows for Photoshop (still prefer it over GIMP, tho gimp is getting better with the single window mode) or PCOMM I can just switch over and run it.

I was super stoked to hear Steam is now available on Linux, along with my favorite steam game TF2. I hope this move will finally start to bring mainstream gaming in a big way to Linux.

omeomi
January 31st, 2013, 08:18 PM
I've completed switched over for a couple of years now. I have a VM with Windows but I hardly ever use it. I didn't like Unity or Gnome 3 much but now am quite happy with KDE.

Steam arriving at Linux is hopefully going to bring the breakthrough in Linux gaming that has been lacking so far.

bodhi.zazen
January 31st, 2013, 10:31 PM
I've completed switched over for a couple of years now. I have a VM with Windows but I hardly ever use it. I didn't like Unity or Gnome 3 much but now am quite happy with KDE.

Steam arriving at Linux is hopefully going to bring the breakthrough in Linux gaming that has been lacking so far.

I am a long time *box fan, or perhaps XFCE. I find these desktops were nice on lower end machines, but with modern hardware they feel bland.

I recently converted to KDE as it seems to be a happy compromise between old and new school.

I would use enlightenment a bit more, but it always seems buggy.

superchar42
January 31st, 2013, 11:06 PM
Started playing with Linux ten years ago, now I don't use Windows, or Wine for anything either. All my gaming is done on consoles. :)

Now I run it on 3 different machines.

Zeven
February 3rd, 2013, 02:16 AM
I have dabbled with Linux in an on and off manner for a few years now but haven't managed to stick with it yet. With Steam being out for Linux now and Windows 8 being the way it is, I firmly believe that Windows 7 shall be my last Windows operating system. When the full switch shall be made, however, remains to be seen.

Niemand000
February 3rd, 2013, 02:26 AM
Not only have I switched entirely, but I'm converting others. I've installed Ubuntu on the PC of at least four other (consenting) users. I'm never going back... ever

jedispork
February 3rd, 2013, 03:33 AM
I have dabbled with Linux in an on and off manner for a few years now but haven't managed to stick with it yet. With Steam being out for Linux now and Windows 8 being the way it is, I firmly believe that Windows 7 shall be my last Windows operating system. When the full switch shall be made, however, remains to be seen.

This is almost exactly my scenario except I was still planning a switch before windows 8 was even announced. If steam doesn't do well on linux I will convert over to the next gen consoles. Either way I'm migrating from windows. I built a new pc to use as my steam box and surf the web on tv with xubuntu. My primary desktop will run 7 for a while until its no longer useful for games and other missing software. I don't see any reason to dual boot my desktop because I can play with linux on my media pc.

Zydratejunky
February 3rd, 2013, 04:27 AM
I may be fairly new, but I tried Ubuntu for the first time last year, unfortunately that went south because the laptop was too old to handle anything modern at ALL. But I love Linux, and I love the communities like this one for Ubuntu, and the fact that you all drive it to make being a Linux user smoother to the new look and feel. I HATE windows now, the only reason I might use it on a desktop as a dual-boot, is because I haven't had time to convert my girlfriend xD I completely left otherwise.

Now I just want to find a section here that could point me in the direction for learning my terminal and linux enough to use other distros that require manual setup, like Backtrack or some of the Red Hat distros. I have been giving them all a look around :)

IrishSnow35
February 3rd, 2013, 04:50 AM
I haven't given up neither Windows nor Mac OS X, but I'm working on turning my MacBook Pro into a triple-boot system >3 I feel so...so...power-mad! MUAHAHA!

Unfortunately, I just installed Ubuntu Studio OVER my fresh install of Windows 7...*sob*

I do use only Ubuntu on my old HP Pavilion desktop...

DjRadu
February 4th, 2013, 08:56 AM
I started now with UBUNTU STUDIO and flushed away the damn thing called microsoft windows !:popcorn:

JayKay3OOO
February 5th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Finally switched to Linux a few weeks ago.

Pretty much nailed all the things I like to do after a 3 or 4 year play period.

KDE (Kubuntu) is pretty sweet for the way I work on my desktop computer. I'm no gamer, but everything else I could do on Windows I can do on Linux, but with the added benefit that all my software updates without me having to intervene at all.

I've got a retail package of Windows 7 sitting on the shelf and to be honest that's where it's sitting gathering dust. I have no need to install it especially as the start menu is so messy, it loves to create icons everywhere and leave files when you try and get rid of things with applications needing singular updates I can't be bothered with it then Windows update makes you re-boot when it wants. Registry editing makes you feel all computer geek, but I'd rather have a GUI button to press.

Linux saves me time and enables me to have fun using the computer.

64 bit Linux has come a long way so it's now viable and faster than 32bit with pae. Most web pages use html5 so even if flash was not to work most websites would work anyway.

checco76
February 10th, 2013, 06:51 PM
completely switched with my 2 machines at home, after 2 yrs I started using ubuntu.

MIJ-VI
February 11th, 2013, 01:52 AM
100% Ubuntu as of Sept. 2009.

PopsTX
February 11th, 2013, 03:16 PM
100% Linux household -1 Ubuntu, 2 Kbuntu and 1 Android tablet BUT, just refurbished a friends machine with 12.04LTS and cannot view YouTube video nor HULU videos... @#$%^ Embarassing after a tremendouse "build-up" --supporting LINUX (Ubuntu in particular). What I am finding so far --as far as updating Adobe's SWF is their 404 error page when attempting to fix the problem.

I can view Hulu's stuff, YouTube's stuff on the Kbuntu machines but the Ubuntu boxes (mine and client's) will not. Although the problem seems to be an Adobe Problem... Seems to me that Adobe/Ubuntu/Canonical should have, would have, enough clout to force Adobe to G.T.S.T. in a more timely manner.

iamkuriouspurpleoranj
February 11th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Ubuntu 12.10 on one PC and Ubuntu Server 12.04 on the other. I have gpm, sc and bsdgames with Tetris on the latter. It's almost like having X.

ACubed10
February 11th, 2013, 04:37 PM
100% Linux for a while. I'm a Microsoft Tech and Network Administrator so I am stuck using Windows at work :@. At my office I use an iMac, which I love. Home, all I have is Ubuntu! Enjoy coming home every night to work from here ):P

Adonai Araya
February 11th, 2013, 09:41 PM
100% Linux too. At least at home ;)
Ubuntu and Xubuntu are my love, I used Kubuntu for a while but for some reason it don't fit to me so I stick with Ubuntu.
I don't hate windows anyway but I still prefer Linux.