PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41

peyre
May 26th, 2012, 03:46 AM
A live CD is my choice when recovering data from damaged XPs, Vistas and 7's. Linux is the best when doing servicing and when you're into DIY.

I've actually found that the best live CD for working on broken Windows boxes is the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (also known by its grammatically-challenged abbreviation "UBCD4Win").

simonj12
May 27th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I no longer need it for work or studying so I've completely turned my back on Windows):P and installed 12.04. Yes Windows scrubbed up well in places but I'm not missing it. 2 weeks and counting.

sioxs
May 27th, 2012, 08:01 PM
I've been using Linux full time since 2005 and tried others on and off since about 1999.
Windowz is really no competition to Linux and I've helped many people switch over to or at least consider Linux as an alternative OS.
I do keep a version of XP Pro which came with the box but hardly use it anymore . It's a Virtual Machine anyway so it runs on top of the Linux machines using them interchangeably.
Simply put, the versatility and capability of what you can do with Linux has kept me sold even if it is free.
Favorite distros:
Pure Debian - Aptosid - Knoppix - Back|Trak - Kubuntu

"When you don't have walls you don't need Windows"

pvrm
May 27th, 2012, 10:58 PM
I've been using ubuntu since 2009 and since 2010 I completely switched to Ubuntu. This year I give Kubuntu a try and I'm loving it.

fozturk
May 28th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I have first met with Linux in 1999, Suse Linux, and loved it. It was difficult times and installation of a graphic interface was not easy.
I am actively using Linux since 2005 and switched completely to Ubuntu since 2008. Since then I am a great supporter and promoter of this OS, especially Ubuntu, but not an active contributor to community.
That, is about to change...

caffeinatedev
May 28th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Ubuntu has been the only OS on my personal laptop for about 6 months now and all of my needs have been met, granted with some tweaking here and there. I can't speak for when I start university in the fall, I may end up buying Windows 7 eventually to dual boot with Ubuntu but I absolutely love Linux!

liviup2k
May 28th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I begin with Ubuntu I don't remember when, but I don't use only Ubuntu, I must offer assistance for Solaris and RedHat too and sometimes for Windows (!!!):(

rmil
May 28th, 2012, 07:07 PM
1. Do not even remember exact time of switch to linux.

2. Do not even use wine. If the software is not working under linux it is just ignored.

3. Had problem to fully switch due to Adobe programs but Scribus solved this issue very well. Even I would buy now Adobe software for linux Scribus will remain as first the choice for DTP/vector.

TVAbuntu
May 29th, 2012, 01:29 AM
Started with linux a good while ago (I think I tried Dapper, but didn't really use it until Edgy, but memory fades) and was dual booting until about 2008. Was exclusively Linux until just this year, when my wife broke me down to get a Mac.

But I don't use it much. Can't figure out what the fuss is about. And I can't remember the last time I needed windows for something.

Use a lot of android though (Linux, but not GNU/linux)

alelinuxbsd
May 29th, 2012, 08:29 AM
I switched completely on Linux some years ago.

gnusci
May 29th, 2012, 08:35 AM
At home I have three GNU/Linux desktops and an Android Tablet, at work I have a GNU/Linux workstation.

SushiAddiction
May 30th, 2012, 02:51 AM
I still use windows guest to run some windows software. Especially for sending the odd fax here and there. I gave up on getting faxing working under ubuntu.

Every release since 10.04 has had some nasty bug. Most had work arounds, some did not. If it continues this way, I may eventually switch back to windows. I will miss ubuntu.

DingusFett
May 30th, 2012, 05:05 AM
I have a Windows partition still, mostly because I haven't finished my game of Skyrim, but haven't booted into it at all since I installed Beta1 of 12.04 when it first was released.

cshin9
May 30th, 2012, 05:25 AM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.
I started testing Linux including Ubuntu about two years ago on VirtualBox. I only recently (about two months ago) installed Ubuntu natively and switched completely when my laptop with Windows 7 became rather unusable.

RefinersFire
June 5th, 2012, 04:28 PM
):P

My wife and I completely switched to Ubuntu a couple of years ago. I have experimented with Linux Mint from time to time, and various other server distros, but Ubuntu is the dominant OS in my home (hey, even our cell phones are Linux (Android)) ;)

I still virtualize Windows 7 on my desktop PC for those rare times when I need a program that is easier to use, or only available on Windows. I rarely use my Windows Vista or XP vm. I only use Vista when I want my computer to make me mad.:mad:

apollothethird
June 5th, 2012, 04:35 PM
):P

My wife and I completely switched to Ubuntu a couple of years ago. I have experimented with Linux Mint from time to time, and various other server distros, but Ubuntu is the dominant OS in my home (hey, even our cell phones are Linux (Android)) ;)

I still virtualize Windows 7 on my desktop PC for those rare times when I need a program that is easier to use, or only available on Windows. I rarely use my Windows Vista or XP vm. I only use Vista when I want my computer to make me mad.:mad:

Yes. speaking of the Android, I recently learned that even the Mac is built on Linux/Unix.

It's kind of unfortunate that, while the Android is built on Linux, you still need Windows for things such as contacts sync. I use a Windows VM machine for Syncing my Android contacts. Hopefully someone will get this functionality ported over to Linux, namely Ubuntu.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

peyre
June 6th, 2012, 04:11 AM
Yes. speaking of the Android, I recently learned that even the Mac is built on Linux/Unix.

Specifically BSD (FreeBSD and NetBSD). Not quite Linux, but a very close relative.

SuperFreak
June 6th, 2012, 04:32 AM
About a month ago I removed Windows from my computer. Using Ubuntu 10.04 and 12.04 64 bit now only

ExSuSEusr
June 6th, 2012, 05:12 AM
Ubuntu on laptop.

Mint / Ubuntu on desktop.

Pretty much completely changed over. Well, I DO have a Windows XP install in Virtual Box. Does that count?

stalkingwolf
June 6th, 2012, 04:09 PM
unfortunately i have several customers who are anal about having windows. so i keep a partition with windows installed and dont see getting rid of it soon.

As far as use goes the only thing that is used in my house are flavors of ubuntu.
Primarily zorin. But i also have mint12,UE3,and pinguy installed on this one

Andrewmham
June 6th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Had to take a few courses using SuSE and Fedora in college back in 2006, and although I never went too in depth I really liked it...something about it is just more fun than Windows, might be the hands on effect of being able to utilize the command line in such a dominant way.

If I could completely switch, I would...having used Windows for so long I have way too much crap on my desktop machine to wipe it out, even though it has been powered off for months. Earlier this week I put a dual boot install of 12.04 on my work laptop and really started enjoying it, but even with Wine I am unable to log in to a few support apps that I'm required to be online with during the day, so I'm settling for a VMWare instance on a 22 inch monitor just to the right of where my laptop sits. It's a bit slower, but keeps me the hell out of Putty when I need to configure something on the Samba share or FTP server we have in house.

eGelor
June 7th, 2012, 10:33 AM
4 years without Windows. Ububtu gave me the opportunity to learn unix. Now i run ubuntu 12.04 and a FreeBSD Server over ssh -X.
thank you

venik212
June 7th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Unity almost drove me back to Windows (too sluggish, buggy, bloated and un-intuitive), but Lubuntu saved the day, and I am happy to run it on most of my machines. I still have an XP machine, to deal with MS-only forms on rare occasions. As LibreOffice get better at real compatibility, that use will decline.

Futant
June 7th, 2012, 03:35 PM
After being a Windows user for years, on the advice of a friend I installed Ubuntu alsongside Windows 7 on my laptop, and a few months ago the Windows side of things messed up hugely, I think due to an update, rendering it inoperable. During this time I used Ubuntu.
I found out that many other people have had the same issue, I tried a few things to resolve it, to no avail. Not having the time or the inclination to spend ages wrestling with the thing, and having grown to love Ubuntu (11.10) anyway, I put Windows aside. Although I will sort out the mess at some point (if only because its an irritating state for the computer to be in), I now prefer to use Ubuntu and can't see myself going back. I can do anything I could do before, and more, in a more interesting and fulfilling way.
A few weeks ago the same thing happened to my brothers computer, so I installed Ubuntu on his and now he's happily converted. Now I install it on any computer I can get my hands on :D

X D face me
June 8th, 2012, 03:26 PM
i migrated to ubuntu a month ago because win xp is running to slow on my 5 years old pc. i'm not planning to delete xp because i need it for some software and back-upping. ubuntu haves an great back-up utility but acronis true image 2010 is even better and more easy to use.

Ashtonford
June 8th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I am trying my hardest to switch over to ubuntu, but i cant seem to get the internet to work steadily on my main box, once i fix that problem i will probably never use windows again. I really hate it, it is such an evil organazation, it just makes me sick! It makes me even angrier that i am forced to use it at school! Thanksfully work uses linux redhat.. :). My other box runs completely on ubuntu, i thought about dual booting when i first set it up, but after using ubuntu for a couple days, it works better with ubuntu then it ever did with winxp.

Been using nothing but linux for about 4 years now. No need for windows at all.

Reason NL
June 9th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I was/am a gamer too, switch to Ubuntu since the preview of Vista, so I've been running Linux only for 4 years+. I'm using it as my daily Workstation as well, but I do have a VM for work related programs which don't have a good native Linux alternative (Event though it's been narrowed down to 1 at the moment).

My gaming habits shifted to consoles (PS3) for a while but the possible upcoming Steam client for Linux might make me use my PC's for gaming again.
I've convinced several other people in those years to ditch windows as well, and with success.

I did encountered some setbacks, especially in regressions from new versions, but never did thought about switching back.
Working at clients where I'm forced to use Windows computers keep me convinced I made the right choice!

The future looks bright for now, Microsoft might have been creating the ultimate reason the switch to Ubuntu for a lot of other people I know!
It looks like large corporations seem to notice as well and the wheels on the Ubuntu bandwagon are starting to get into motion!

So don't hesitate and join the club! ;)

TurbofanDude
June 10th, 2012, 05:37 AM
I would like to, but I find myself forced to use it too often. I play games that sadly barely work (with the exception of Minecraft) on Linux.

I would keep it for when you need it, use Ubuntu when you want to. I have always been a fan of using what works, and sometimes both work. It doesn't hurt anything to have Windows in there, GRUB's gonna pick up your boot anyway (unless you install through Wubi, which I'm assuming you didn't). Don't stress yourself out over it. I am an Ubuntu fan, but Windows has a place.

buzzingrobot
June 10th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I've been using Linux and Macs for years. I depend on a few Mac programs that have no Linux counterparts.Not willing to give them up to make the switch. Besides, this Macbook Pro is a very seductive piece of hardware.

Fuzzv
June 10th, 2012, 03:51 PM
I would blow away my Windows install if it weren't for gaming. Steam for Linux will help, but I doubt my whole library will be ported within my lifetime.

That said I'm in Ubuntu 90% of the time, I only boot into Windows to play games. So much so that I don't even have an antivirus.

emagar
June 10th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Am considering doing the same in a new machine. My other machines have dual boot ubuntu and win7. That has advantages, like having access to MS explorer as an extra browser (there is software at work that only works well with it) or an installation of statistical software (stata) that I occasionally need. It also has a big drawback: I haven't learned Linux too well because I can always fall back on the win7 system which I know well (but don't like too much).

The new machine has no cd-rom, hence no recovery cds. I understand that the disk has a partition to recover win7 in case of collapse -- never used this. If I preserve this partition intact in installation, I should be able to replace the system with ubuntu only, yet recover win7 later... True?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

peyre
June 11th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Am considering doing the same in a new machine. My other machines have dual boot ubuntu and win7. That has advantages.... It also has a big drawback: I haven't learned Linux too well because I can always fall back on the win7 system which I know well (but don't like too much).

That's part of the reason I went cold turkey at home (still have XP at work of course). When you can always fall back to the familiar OS, you'll always fall back to it. Until you become day-to-day familiar with an operating system, everything you do it in takes more effort. Still, Linux isn't for everyone, and not everyone is in a position to switch. My wife is a good example: as much as I'd like to switch her to open-source and as much as it would help with some of her performance issues, her scrapbooking hobby is deeply dependent on proprietary Windows software like Photoshop Express--so better not to touch that.

The new machine has no cd-rom, hence no recovery cds. I understand that the disk has a partition to recover win7 in case of collapse -- never used this. If I preserve this partition intact in installation, I should be able to replace the system with ubuntu only, yet recover win7 later... True?

Any thoughts?

Yes, that should work just fine. To recover Windows, you'd hit a key during bootup (which key depends on the manufacturer), and tell it to restore, and hit yes a couple times to make sure you really want to wipe what you have.

*^kyfds(
June 11th, 2012, 07:03 AM
the (really) old dell i'm using had an XP fresh install when i got it.

i messed up the bootloader while playing with ubuntu, and i had to erase everything in order to make anything work, which included the XP partition, which i couldn't reinstall as i had no CD.

I didn't regret it though.

XP was being annoying and it was running slowly on my low-spec machine.
Ubuntu 12.04 runs way better.

wildbill46
June 13th, 2012, 06:49 PM
):P I still have XP on a separate hdd but haven't used it in 5 or 6 months. Every time I run into a "situation" with Ubuntu, I just come here to the forum and start looking. I've never asked a question yet. Someone seems to already have experienced anything that happens to me! Just wish I could get the rest of my family to change over. Oh well, maybe someday! :guitar:

deBachin
June 14th, 2012, 06:10 PM
I would switch in a heartbeat but....

How do you "map" drives in Ubuntu like you do in Windows peer to peer?

I have Ubuntu to XP but only Ubuntu's Dolphin allows me to create "Places". XP will see Ubuntu drives and Dolphin sees XP drives because I have created "Places". But Libre and the other programs wont see the "Places".

I wish it was a simple and easy as it is in Windows. Cant they just create an icon like "Map Drive"

ptomulto
June 15th, 2012, 08:14 PM
i have

N0oki3
June 15th, 2012, 09:24 PM
desktop PC - ubuntu 12.04 LTS

notebook - windows 7 due to (dynamic) hybrid graphics - unable to run unity 3D

DannyJon
June 15th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Unfortunately, I need Windows for some freelance work. I have Ubuntu and VMWare player for Windows. That works a treat - it's all really fast. Now, I only use Windows when I have to and only install the bare minimum.

I used to dual boot, but it was too much hassle to have to reboot for something on windows.

At work I have to use Windows - most of the software isn't Linux compatible. Unfortunately, Libre Office just can't quite match MS Office. But I would prefer to have the setup I have at home - it's so much safer and quicker.

ads2996
June 16th, 2012, 12:47 AM
I still have windows 7, for only a few reasons as i mainly use Ubuntu for everyday computing.
The reasons i have windows 7 is so that i can use visual studio for app development, to play eden eternal, and also to print documents, and game maker.

rossmurray
June 16th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Running 12.04 on my Intel iMac desktop and Samsung NC10 netbook

txducker
June 16th, 2012, 05:02 PM
I have for my desktop, however I am using my desktop computer much less since my wife gave me an IPad2. I have win xp as a dual boot on my main machine, however I cannot remember the last time I booted into XP or if it even works. I kept it around to play Call of Duty 2 but I never play games anymore. I started using linux in 2006 with Ubuntu 6 as a way to recover and backup my winxp machine. By 2008 I was tired of reinstalling win xp and fixing it and started using ubuntu the majority of the time 90%/10%. The best thing for me about linux was keeping the data on a seperate partition from the system files. This made upgrading and reinstalling the OS easier and safer. I now use the command line, bash and python scripting much more since using linux.
Biggest problems for me with Linux: I cannot run Itunes to manage my IPad2 or Iphone 4s. I use my wife's macbook pro to manage these devices.

My machines
#1 Ubuntu 11.10 AMD64 Desktop edition used as a linux home server with 3 TB of RAID1 storage. I have two hotswap 3.5 inch drive bays for adding and removing hard drives for keeping an offsite backup. This has been a very stable backup system using rsync with incremental backups. I use NFS server. Ubuntu has run great with low power hardware requirements.
#2 Ubuntu 12.04 AMD64 Desktop edition. This is my desktop/daily use machine.
#3 Netbook that came with WinXP. With in one week I deleted the XP partition and put Ubuntu on it.
#4 Macbook Pro: wife's machine and we use the NFS protocol to back up the machine to the linux home server.

sTpny
June 18th, 2012, 04:57 AM
I am 100% Linux over here.. My laptop came with windows and I immediately voided the warranty by putting ubuntu on it with no regrets. For games, (not really too much of a gamer) I just run what works; natively, through wine, or through an emulator like pcsx. This does mean that I can't usually play the latest and greatest games, but there are tonnes of great games that I can play that I still haven't gotten around to playing, so I don't really feel like I'm missing anything.

c2tarun
June 18th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I remember one fine morning of August 2010 when I dual booted my new laptop with win 7 and Ubuntu 10.04
Something happened and Win 7 crashed in evening ;) (I believe that god crashed it :) to force me to use ubuntu)
Then I single booted my lappy with ubuntu 10.04, in beginning I was having lot of problems but ubuntuforum and IRC guys helped me lot, I never turned back, and my laptop never tasted Windows 7 after that day :)

Note: I got my laptop that morning only :)

vazduxosbra4kania
June 18th, 2012, 01:45 PM
No reason for me to get rid of win7. My opinion is that one should always have options. What if one system crashes? Well not everythings works well on win7 and otherwise of course. So the best solution-> keep both systems and use as primary what u like the most ! :)

LiamOS
June 18th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I use Linux exclusively now. I've Lubuntu on my laptop with a separate partition where I'm slowly building up a Gentoo system(Fiddling around with kernels at the moment).
On my netbook, I've a rather bizarre frankenstein system. The system currently boots an Arch Linux kernel, but everything other than /boot, /dev, /proc and a small part of /lib(For Kernel modules) is from the Gentoo stage-3 tarball. I love the Gentoo kernel, but I just can't get it to detect my hardware, so I use a kernel I know works.
If anybody's feeling adventurous, you could try it from an existing Ubuntu system; it makes for a very easy Gentoo install.

I should be completely honest, though. I do miss MS Paint, and I miss playing Battlefield 2, since I've not tried to Wine it yet. That said, having systems that I can do whatever I want with is worth it.

What if one system crashes?
I usually use a LiveUSB when(not if :P) one of my systems starts to digest itself.

Erik1984
June 18th, 2012, 04:45 PM
No reason for me to get rid of win7. My opinion is that one should always have options. What if one system crashes? Well not everythings works well on win7 and otherwise of course. So the best solution-> keep both systems and use as primary what u like the most ! :)

That's what I do as well. Primary system is Linux of course. :p

peyre
June 18th, 2012, 07:05 PM
I would switch in a heartbeat but....

How do you "map" drives in Ubuntu like you do in Windows peer to peer?

It can be done, but unfortunately it's not nearly as simple as in Windows (a significant shortcoming for Linux, which is normally very good at all things network!).

Apparently one way is to create a symlink:
ln -s /home/yourname/.gvfs /home/yourname/netshares
(I found this here on the forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1371949), but haven't tried it.)

I've been able to do it in a different way, with a bit of tweaking: see http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/04/how-to-permanently-mount-samba-shares-in-ubuntu-11-04-natty-narwhal/

Bear
June 18th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Stayed with linux from 7.04 to 12.04. Love it.

c2tarun
June 19th, 2012, 03:29 AM

Its great to play safe :) that is why I always keep two linux in different partitions :) one for use, other one for safety as well as trying new distros :)

Financing Dragons
June 19th, 2012, 03:32 AM
I would completely switch to linux, but I don't seem to have much luck with wine. So i keep windows for Gaming. Linux for everything else though!!!

ExSuSEusr
June 19th, 2012, 03:43 AM
I would completely switch to linux, but I don't seem to have much luck with wine. So i keep windows for Gaming. Linux for everything else though!!!

Try PlayonLinux - it's in the software center. If I can get EVE and Everquest 2 working with it.... you might be surprised.

YongQing
June 20th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Try PlayonLinux - it's in the software center. If I can get EVE and Everquest 2 working with it.... you might be surprised.
I couldn't get Photoshop working on it. =(

weaseldb83
June 24th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I have made the switch for everything I can.

I run Mint 11 Gnome/KDE4. 2.6.38-8
AMDx2 Athalon (x2-215),2x 2.7 GHz, 4gigRAM, 16x9 20".

If I cant run something natively, I use Wine. If Wine is insufficient, as per my Ipod.. Only works with Itunes and that only works on windows / mac. In that case I use xp, Vista or 7 on a virtualbox through my Mint. I can emulate and/or run windows games full speed. I have several console emulators for N64, SNES, NES, etc.

There is however one reason why I still keep XP on a spare disk drive.. I can do all the android programming I want under Linux, but tho only way to flash them is over MS Windows. Believe me, I spent 2 months trying to break that pickle. :mad:

So basically I'm all Linux, I only use MS Windows as a tool to compliment and complete my computing environment.

PS: My virtualbox XP runs about 2x faster than it's stand alone clone.
Next Step, KDE4 ontop of Vector7..

drpjkurian
June 24th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I switched completely to Linux. I am a Homoeopathic physician by profession. i use Xournal to jot down my clinical cases and use OpenRep for the analysis of my clnical cases. I use FF for browsing, Rhythmbox to soothe my ears.

My wife also switched over to linux completely, She is an online tutor for Chemisrtry. She use FF, skype and customised gnome shell for her requitements.

drpjkurian
June 24th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I couldn't get Photoshop working on it. =(

Why cant you try GIMP

Lifeisgreat1
June 25th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Wow so many ppl use lunix!

Malcolm Jackson
June 25th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Been completely Ubuntu for about 12 months now. My wife has also gone over to Ubuntu. Love the freedom. Microsoft reminds me of the former East Germany.
I have a copy of XP on one computer so that if I have problems with C progs in terminal or Code blocks, I try the progs on Code Blocks with XP to see if it is an OS problem. Getch, getch, getche, getchar.

ranger1021994
June 25th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Evil Windows for games :P
Ubuntu for happy life :P :)

c2tarun
June 26th, 2012, 12:10 PM
I have made the switch for everything I can.

I run Mint 11 Gnome/KDE4. 2.6.38-8
AMDx2 Athalon (x2-215),2x 2.7 GHz, 4gigRAM, 16x9 20".

If I cant run something natively, I use Wine. If Wine is insufficient, as per my Ipod.. Only works with Itunes and that only works on windows / mac. In that case I use xp, Vista or 7 on a virtualbox through my Mint. I can emulate and/or run windows games full speed. I have several console emulators for N64, SNES, NES, etc.

There is however one reason why I still keep XP on a spare disk drive.. I can do all the android programming I want under Linux, but tho only way to flash them is over MS Windows. Believe me, I spent 2 months trying to break that pickle. :mad:

So basically I'm all Linux, I only use MS Windows as a tool to compliment and complete my computing environment.

PS: My virtualbox XP runs about 2x faster than it's stand alone clone.
Next Step, KDE4 ontop of Vector7..

I am also doing android development on Ubuntu 12.04. Though I just started it recently and I am kind of noob in android but can you please share your problem? (if possible please make another thread and post its link here)

mojo risin
June 26th, 2012, 10:55 PM
I am completely on linux. (lubuntu) I have got a canon printer(i90) and it works fine.

DaveDeviant
June 27th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Switched completely to Ubuntu more than 2 months ago but by almost one week I turned my Ubuntu off because of cpu overheating problems. Waiting for a new kernel of something like this to fix this BIG and IMPORTANT problem.

geomarsh
June 27th, 2012, 02:14 PM
I alway login on my ubuntu but I've discovered when I can't get the wireless to connect I can reboot into windows. Windows does some trouble shooting of the wireless connection. The I can reboot into ubuntu and the wireless connects. Otherwise I have no use for windows. Love ubuntu. It's a new adventure everyday.

blennox
June 27th, 2012, 09:32 PM
I switched completely to ubuntu this week, the only things keeping Windows on my computer were WoW/Diablo3 and Visual Studio for uni work. WoW runs perfectly for me with WINE, I can live without D3 and I used MonoDevelop successfully for my last .NET project so I bit the bullet and went for a clean 12.04 install on saturday :p

ryanvade
June 28th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I still use Vista Home basic for gaming. EVERYTHING else I use Black Opal.

3dmatrix
June 28th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Switched completely to Ubuntu more than 2 months ago but by almost one week I turned my Ubuntu off because of cpu overheating problems. Waiting for a new kernel of something like this to fix this BIG and IMPORTANT problem.

Its unfortunate that you are facing that problem. But did you write about it on the forum and did you try to solve the problem ? I have used different versions of Linux on many computers since last 5 to 7 years or more but i have never faced this problem.

I would suggest you kindly give it a second try and ask for help on several forums.

In fact i feel Linux in general is far less resource hungry compared to similar version of Windows.

Kendee
June 28th, 2012, 06:17 AM
There are still a lot of things for which I can't find linux drivers. My Garmin GPS/Heartrate monitor I use for running for example.
I am slowly migrating my accounts from a Windows package to a linux one and a few other things so I keen a windows VM for those.
Also I use Windows at work - not my choice.

apollothethird
June 28th, 2012, 07:28 AM

It's unlikely that your overheating is a kernel problem. If you give a link to the thread you opened for assistance with the problem I'm sure some of the gurus hear would be glad to help you with your problem.

Again, while I'm certain it's not a kernel problem, if it were possible that it was, using a different kernel would be a very simple matter.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Brimwylf
June 28th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Sounds like cpu scaling is not set up properly. Really unlikely, as said above, to be a kernel problem.

overcast
June 28th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I did this year. I was doing the dual boot and stuff but decided that i am getting attatched to window based apps for no reason. Time to let it go if i want to support my views which align with GNU/Linux.

weaseldb83
June 28th, 2012, 02:21 PM

As many people have already said.. It's very unlikely that a kernel is making your system run so hot.. Do you have MoBo sensor monitors, cause they could be screwing with your MoBo fan voltages.. Or mabey there is something else running in the background.. Although rare, I do find every once in a while i get a stalled service in the background. It'll bump my cpu monitor from 3% to 75%.. I just log out and back in.. NP, back to normal..

Launch the computer into the TUI does it still run hot? then you've got a GUI issue making things run like that..

Just a few pointers that I've had to work out without help. (poor internet access)

weaseldb83
June 28th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I did this year. I was doing the dual boot and stuff but decided that i am getting attatched to window based apps for no reason. Time to let it go if i want to support my views which align with GNU/Linux.

You can always run VirtualBox (4.x w/extension pack) in seamless mode.. I have that on one of my virtual desktops (#3 of 4). It layers a windows desktop, integrated with the existing desktop from linux.. Very cool feature.. Even supports drag and drop between systems, all within one desktop environment..

That way, you use windows as a program, not a limiting, failing, primary OS.

overcast
June 28th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Yes. I decided to run windows under virtualbox but not much need anymore. I switched to linux for minimalism and less consumerism reasons. I am fed up with being sold to something. Apple and Windows new tech doesn't attract me anymore. And I will adapt to what ever linux community brings to the table.

mojo risin
June 28th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Youll suirely find some apps you like :) sometimes it takes a while and trial and error but in the end I am not missing any apps any more :)

BeanCounter2
June 28th, 2012, 07:36 PM
I switched completely to Ubuntu 12.04 precise pangolin about 2 months ago. I got tried of fighting win. vista and all the other garbage that comes with it.

So far I haven't had to do yo much tweaking. Runs really well on my Dell vostro 1000. It took me awhile to switch because I wasn't sure which version to put on an older machine.

So far 12.04 is doing so good that I am kicking myself for not doing sooner. I would recommend Ubuntu to everyone. :smile:

apollothethird
June 28th, 2012, 07:51 PM
I switched completely to Ubuntu 12.04 precise pangolin about 2 months ago. I got tried of fighting win. vista and all the other garbage that comes with it.

So far I haven't had to do yo much tweaking. Runs really well on my Dell vostro 1000. It took me awhile to switch because I wasn't sure which version to put on an older machine.

So far 12.04 is doing so good that I am kicking myself for not doing sooner. I would recommend Ubuntu to everyone. :smile:

The only real problem with Ubuntu is the lack of being able to navigate running applications. I'm sure they'll eventually get that worked out. But in the mean time if you run more than a couple of applications at a time (I often have more than 20 Browsers opened at a time), I recommend Cairo-Dock.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

headflux
June 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Would love to completely switch to Linux but the ability to managed my iPhone and iPod is so poor in Linux and iTunes doesn't work with Wine.

weaseldb83
June 29th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Would love to completely switch to Linux but the ability to managed my iPhone and iPod is so poor in Linux and iTunes doesn't work with Wine.

I had to solve this problem too.. GTKpod works well for older Apple hardware, But I have a 6th gen Nano, and its too new to be supported.

So here's your fix; Get Virtualbox 4.x w/guest additions.
I use it to run XP SP3, and through usb 2.0 sync with my devices.
You can even make the virtualbox go into seamless mode where it integrates directly into your linux box. Drag and Drop ability between them.

My only issue still needing a windows box is for flashing my Samsung Galxy Gio Android. No other way to do it :(

pythonomicon
June 29th, 2012, 08:59 PM

i had this problem and switched to Android (Nexus 1 and now Galaxy Nexus) became an amazon prime member and uploaded my entire library to amazon cloud. poof! now i have access to all my music no matter what computer i am on and my phone has music too. when my Nexus 7 arrives i may look more into using google play, but, right now am very satisfied with amazon and my web browser on Ubuntu :)
i love being 'apple' free...

pythonomicon
June 29th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Not completely switched due to work needing a windows machine. was doing the virtualbox thing but got tired of that and setup a windows machine and use Remmina with Ubuntu 12.04 and am as close as i can get to being 'Linux only'. Ubuntu is faster, has less headaches, and is more fun than using windows or joining the fascists at apple. am very pleased with Ubuntu and Unity.

Alcidious
June 30th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I finally made the jump this past January. I had fooled around with linux distributions for several years, but I was too timid to every really use them. So I decided to just take a leap of faith, started using ubuntu, and about a month later I still hadn't logged in to Windows! So I did a re-install of just with Ubuntu, and I couldn't be happier. I say just do it!

As to the gaming, have you tried to use Wine, or some Windows emulator? I have a couple statistics programs I needed for school, and I was able to run them with Wine. Personally, I'm not a gamer, but I have a friend who claims to play any game just fine on his linux box.

conac
June 30th, 2012, 08:44 AM
I think Windows and Linux operating system is second best and most widely used. Each operating system have different applications and utility. At the moment, I am using windows operating system and i'm going to used Linux. But i haven't any impormation this operating system. Some body show me about Linux???

stevecook
June 30th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I switched to Ubuntu from Windows three months ago.

I will never go back

3dmatrix
June 30th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I think Windows and Linux operating system is second best and most widely used. Each operating system have different applications and utility. At the moment, I am using windows operating system and i'm going to used Linux. But i haven't any impormation this operating system. Some body show me about Linux???

Welllll ! There is nothing to show. Just start using it.
If you are afraid start with a live cd.

tjeremiah
June 30th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I might just go fully with linux as my Windows install is telling me im running an illegal version and it will shutdown in 30 days.

stevecook
June 30th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I'm still using winXP as my primary OS because in Ubuntu I can't acces my 240 GB raid array. I don't think I will get it working. So I'm gonna lend some external harddisks and backup all my data. When that's done I will be using Ubuntu as my primary OS. I will keep a dual boot configuration for the time being.I found that if you are using 10.04 LTS then all you need to do is format the RAID with a particular format type. I'm sorry but I'm buggered if I can now remember what it was (I use 12.04 now). I will try and rack my brains to remember and post the info here when I do.

However, I now use 12.04 LTS and the issue has not arisen. Indeed, whereas the RAID was only recognized at installation by 10.04 (and only then as sdb instead of sda) and then wasn't recognized at all following installation (until I found out how to format, as mentioned earlier, so it would be recognized), 12.04 LTS recognized it as sda at installation and also fully recognized it from then on in.

drogve
June 30th, 2012, 11:46 PM
??? Dual boot Ubuntu 12.04 LTS / Win XP PRO on Dell Latitude D600????

Im using the windows installer but I'd like to resize the win xp partition and do a full install of Ubuntu on a second partition..........Help??

Im a quick study. Thanks to all
:popcorn:

3dmatrix
July 1st, 2012, 04:58 AM
??? Dual boot Ubuntu 12.04 LTS / Win XP PRO on Dell Latitude D600????

Im using the windows installer but I'd like to resize the win xp partition and do a full install of Ubuntu on a second partition..........Help??

Im a quick study. Thanks to all

Boot using the Ubuntu Live cd and use GParted to make changes in the partitions and then install Ubuntu in whichever partition you wish to.

Nanur
July 1st, 2012, 05:50 AM
I haven't completely switched, and never will. Just for the fact that I want to keep Windows just in case I need to do something which I absolutely need Windows for. I only use Windows for those occasions. Outside of those, I am always on Ubuntu.

lrcaballero
July 1st, 2012, 07:16 AM
I made the transition from Windows to Linux in 2009 have NOT turn back ever since, have use various flavors of Linux: Ubuntu, LinuxMint, Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Bodhi and my favorite ArchBang! and now for a change came back to where I started Ubuntu 12.04 I Love Unity and the GREAT Support within the forums...I have always said that the best support is the Ubuntu Forums...people are very friendly and always with the attitude of lending a hand.

Artemis3
July 1st, 2012, 09:07 AM
I have been unable to dual boot in months because of a mysterious problem which manifests both in grub and windows: No keyboard, doesn't matter if its ps/2 or usb, 9 in 10 boots the keyboard doesn't work. But once linux loads, its works.

Very likely a hardware problem, but whatever, won't replace the motherboard for another year. Goodbye to that other os, i won't miss it.

drogve: The ubuntu installer can do it for you.

wanderingwaste
July 1st, 2012, 02:37 PM
I started using Ubuntu to try and make use of some fairly unstable hardware I had after a boutique gaming laptop decided to suffer a series of heat failures. Couldn't run XP, Vista, or 7 for long without some serious problems. Ubuntu? Ran like a dream.

Now, I use Linux for literally everything but gaming. And even on the gaming machine, all usage EXCEPT gaming and Steam (the ONLY way to game) goes through a VM running 12.04 or Crunchbang.

amx401
July 2nd, 2012, 02:07 AM
I finally got windows going in virtualbox, and I'm loving it! There are some things that require IE, but I *hate* Windows, so I no longer have to dual boot.

harun3d
July 2nd, 2012, 04:55 PM
... keeps Windows on my machine is the need to print. ...
I think that printing was much easier on linux then windows. On windows it was me who had to find the drivers= a lot of work. On linux, I put the usb cable of the printer. My linux find the drivers for me, all in background, and I can print. And for wireless printer it was really amazing: I say "connect with this printer". Linux says connected and after one minute, you can print without wire.

Windows WAS the best in the 90s, it was he who had done the revolution in computers by going from DOS to graphical user interface but however the hardware of computers became faster and faster in the last 20 years but the operating system did not increase in speed so much relative to the CPU speed. it is due to windows that we did not see this increase in speed in the operating system.

chesaro
July 5th, 2012, 05:47 AM
I've never had a very nice pc to play games, so, i just have windows because of office, 3d max and sony vegas, of course for my brothers, i really don't need windows, i even got a ps3 so i don't have to upgrade my pc

robtygart
July 5th, 2012, 06:05 AM
I switched 100%, I showed the Live CD to my dad and he was installing it before I even got a change to backup my files and switch.

I have no use for Windows, Linux has everything I need.

nhianho
July 5th, 2012, 11:52 AM
I still have to use dual booting. Im a hardcore gamer and I may be slapped for saying this but gaming on Linux sucks hard. Besides, Im a poor guy and Wine just doesnt run torrented games :(

robtygart
July 5th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I still have to use dual booting. Im a hardcore gamer and I may be slapped for saying this but gaming on Linux sucks hard. Besides, Im a poor guy and Wine just doesnt run torrented games :(

I remember watching an interview of Linus Torvalds on Youtub, even he said Linux is bad for gameing.

MeditatingHamster
July 5th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I switched a month and a half ago to 12.04 and am stuck having to dual boot windows 7 for Nvidia 3d vision and gaming and ODIN, for if I root my S3, and just in case.

Petro Dawg
July 6th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Unfortunately I need Excel/VBA for school projects as they must be submitted in a format dictated by the professor.

Aside from working on those projects I never log on to the Windows 7 side of my laptop.

My home desktop is completely Ubuntu12.04 since Windows XP was far too sluggish for my taste.

I'm not much of a gamer though, 15 to 30 minutes of Nexuiz every now and then is all I really need :D

psyclechick
July 6th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I was nearly tempted to dual boot because I was nearly tempted to get a new iPad, but that wanton desire has since passed with the Nexus 7 (and not 'needing' the iOS apps I thought I would after going back to Android after iPhone!)

So..this weekend my little Dell Inspiron Mini 10 is about to become a complete Ubuntu only machine since I can do everything I need to do with Ubuntu once again (its been a while!)

Although I also run Ubuntu 12.04 on my Android phone as well hehehe

keeper7323
July 6th, 2012, 04:56 PM
My employer supplies a laptop that I have to use for work. At home I have two PCs that I have built, one is exclusively Ubuntu and the other is a dual boot so I can test my website updates. Otherwise it's Linux 24/7/355.

illopos
July 6th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I am 99% switched to linux. I use windows only when someone really insists I present something with powerpoint instead of a pdf. I really can't use Open office in such cases because MS Office messes things up and I don't want to run MS Office in linux with wine.

apollothethird
July 6th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I am 99% switched to linux. I use windows only when someone really insists I present something with powerpoint instead of a pdf. I really can't use Open office in such cases because MS Office messes things up and I don't want to run MS Office in linux with wine.

I never did use Power Point, but know it's a popular presentation tool. If I used Power Point I'm sure I'd also be using Libreoffice's Impress.

Back when I had viewed Power Point, I had found that you could save the power Point presentation and download a Power Point viewer for instances where your recipient didn't happen to have the Power Point installed (or purchased) on their machine.

I looked for something similar for LibreOffice Impress so that I could offer you a good resolution to help relieve your dependence on Microsoft.

First I'll mention that I understand how some of your clients will insist against a pdf presentation. Browsing the pdf files would leave something to be desired when you compare it to the interactive features of presentation packages.

At a glance on the LibreOffice site I noticed a suggestion to export the project to a Flash (.swf) file. Using this method you won't be restricted to clients who have purchased Microsoft Power Point. Also you'll no longer have to suffer for the "messed up things" Power Point does to your LibreOffice presentation.

This may allow you to delve deeper into the Linux applications and become more expert in this capacity.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

mack_guy911
July 6th, 2012, 09:06 PM
i am running linux form almost 5-7 years as main desktop now but

form time to time when i get bored i check windows too for update and test antivirus.....etc

jedispork
July 7th, 2012, 07:54 AM
I am getting closer to making ubuntu my primary o/s. I'm about done with the pc games that I had any interest in. A few tools like anydvd are handy but its rarely needed because grabbing a bluray off the shelf is simpler than running a media server. All I need are the basics. My next pc will probably be something small and power efficient.

George99
July 7th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Nope, can't go without Windoof. http://www.greensmilies.com/smile/smiley_emoticons_daumendreh2.gif

I'm bound to an old graphic program that is not available for Linux and doesn't work with WINE. There are too many files made with that program and no other graphic program is able to work with those.
Was a bad choice in 1998.
So I still have the choice at boot for LUBUNTU, WinXP (for that one program), PartedMagic (maintenance) and CloneZille (backups).

UbunHawk
July 7th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Im 99.9% Ubuntu, I dual boot but only so that if I need to quickly log on to Windows I can, and because I can't be bothered changing it :mad:

illopos
July 8th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I never did use Power Point, but know it's a popular presentation tool. If I used Power Point I'm sure I'd also be using Libreoffice's Impress.

Back when I had viewed Power Point, I had found that you could save the power Point presentation and download a Power Point viewer for instances where your recipient didn't happen to have the Power Point installed (or purchased) on their machine.

I looked for something similar for LibreOffice Impress so that I could offer you a good resolution to help relieve your dependence on Microsoft.

First I'll mention that I understand how some of your clients will insist against a pdf presentation. Browsing the pdf files would leave something to be desired when you compare it to the interactive features of presentation packages.

At a glance on the LibreOffice site I noticed a suggestion to export the project to a Flash (.swf) file. Using this method you won't be restricted to clients who have purchased Microsoft Power Point. Also you'll no longer have to suffer for the "messed up things" Power Point does to your LibreOffice presentation.

This may allow you to delve deeper into the Linux applications and become more expert in this capacity.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Thanks for your reply. I usually use latex+beamer to create my presentations. The problem is not with my clients. It is with my colleagues, that too when we have to collaborate. I haven't tried libre office but when I use open office, the things are messed up by MS office even if I save in the right ppt format.

Burnasty
July 9th, 2012, 07:57 AM
I am now fully converted. I have converted three htpc's to xbmcbuntu the desktop and laptop to ubuntu and the garage pc to backtrack 5. I love the entire system I have created with them all seamlessly linked and able to communicate with each other.

stevecook
July 13th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I am 99% switched to linux. I use windows only when someone really insists I present something with powerpoint instead of a pdf. I really can't use Open office in such cases because MS Office messes things up and I don't want to run MS Office in linux with wine.every time I have run Ms Office in wine, it runs crap. It crashes without warning and MS Front Page is a just total no-no.

On the other hand, running Ms Office in Virtual Box is perfect.

Apart from the occassional MS Office usage inside a virtual XP in Vbox I have no need for MS Windows at all now. However, this is probably due to my not being a gamer. I can certainly see it as being a pain for them.

patriot56
July 13th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Windows?
What's Windows?
Oh yea! I remember, that's that little "crashed" box over in the corner with the blue screen!:P
I haven't used Windows for years. And don't miss it AT ALL!!!

pe7er
July 13th, 2012, 10:57 PM
In 2006 I occasionally tried Ubuntu 6.x, but in 2007 I switched completely to Ubuntu.

When I was still on Windows XP, I already started to work with software that was available on many different platforms: FireFox browser, Thunderbird email, FileZilla FTP.

At the moment I am using Arch Linux on my PC, Ubuntu on a laptop, Debian on a server, and ArchLinuxArm at my Raspberry Pi.

epikvision
July 13th, 2012, 11:02 PM
I am desperately in love with Linux, especially because everything about it is open source.

My first encounter with ubuntu was from 2007, when I was turning sixth grade. I oscillated between games and free software philosophy for the next turbulent years to come.

I was once a gamer at heart until a few months ago, realizing that Ubuntu is great for its community, but I have yet to help out. Been helping newsteam from time to time.

foobantu
July 14th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Hi,

About two weeks or so and don't miss Windows at all ;)

My office laptop still has Windows, but this one, is fully Windows Free.

I tried many OSes before settling down for Ubuntu. Various other Linux Distros, some BSDs (The BSDs are great, just they have some issues with EFI Boot, or may be I didnt configure it right), but nothing like Ubuntu.

Liking it so far.

rtbarker
July 14th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I'm completely on Ubuntu 12.04 and I don't miss Windows at all. I've been able to do anything I need to do in Linux, including wiring diagrams for my coursework (in Dia) and DVD authoring.

Why would I want to use Windows? :P

OM55
July 14th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I use only Ubuntu and have been Windows free for several months.
However, for QuickBooks accounting and wide printer/scanner that doesn't have Linux support, I use XP VirtualBox. The data files are on a folder shared between Ubuntu and VirtualBox, so can be easily backed up even when the virtual XP is off.

The funny thing is that XP in VirtualBoc4x under Ubuntu runs much better and faster than it ever did when installed directly...

Kadai
July 15th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Returned back to 12.04 (Kubuntu) after a forced hiatus. All of it because my new hardware video driver was not properly recognized by 11.10, and using the daily live builds were a no-no. I have been using by now Kubuntu for like a month or more.

I do not miss Windows at all, but have it on the "main partition", because I installed Kubuntu via Wubi... keeping it just in case... before I totally take the HDD for Linux, scrapping Windows entirely, like I did with my laptop.

The only software from Windows I still use are: LameXP (better than soundKonverter), TagScan, Mp3Tag (I'll give a shot to easytag this upcoming weeks, if it can properly handle UTF-16 tags and saving as ID3v2.3) and Photoshop (I still do not like totally Gimp). Everything else is native.

ekrc
July 15th, 2012, 02:32 PM
since 2008, I have completely switched to holy Linux :D Thx 2 broken XP licensed CD paid approx. 100$!

hypnot0ad
July 15th, 2012, 09:30 PM
The only reason Windows will be on any of my machines will be for school sadly. But I have fallen in love.
Enter the Command Line

ranger1021994
July 15th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Well i feel 10.04 is the best...12.04 is kind of disappointing but still its awesome :)
Windows for Games :)

geogur
July 16th, 2012, 01:01 AM
i have switched , ubuntu 12.? . linux is my choice on my pc . but i must function in a microsoft world :(

neodirtchief
July 16th, 2012, 05:00 AM
I use about 75% Linux and 25% Windows. But the menu is subject to change.

frankrd053
July 16th, 2012, 05:48 AM
I just took Vista off my t60 for Ubuntu 12.04 so far I love it I still have windows on my desktop

Frank

Lazra
July 16th, 2012, 01:00 PM
100% Linux on my business laptop since 5 weeks now, still some small issues to resolve on some business-specific features, but otherwise i'm quite happy with it.

dougcumiskey123
July 16th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I have been using Ubuntu for 3 years off and on, but I find it too complicated and too difficult to switch completely from XP, if only the help files had some connection with the suject I need help with and if only the instruction worked when they are applied things would be better.

My biggest problem is when something goes wrong there are no hints or help from the system, you have to be a brain surgion and do it all yourself.

Doug.

thatguruguy
July 16th, 2012, 03:26 PM
brain surgion

Don't you mean rocket surgeon?

dorrellkc
July 16th, 2012, 03:52 PM
:guitar: I have tried kiciking the m$ habit many times. Always ran into some issue where things wouldn't quite work. I am now trying again running 12.04 on both my laptop and my media center pc hooked up to my tv. By the way things are going everything seems to be in place for me to never go back to windows. I am very happy. :P

marinerojoven
July 16th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I keep trying to switch to linux but seem to be having difficulties with WINE. I need to use Rhino 4.0, and Microchips compiler. Ubuntu 12.04 is really doing great (except searching in home folder yields no results but will figure it out.)

John:popcorn:

sabersong
July 16th, 2012, 08:09 PM
For several years I had a dual-boot setup, because I'm a gamer, and I couldn't play World of Warcraft on my PS3, so when I bought a new laptop last year, I kept Windows 7 for gaming.

But when I quit WoW, there was really no reason for me to keep Windows anymore, and I was having trouble with my OpenSUSE installation, so I came back to Ubuntu, and now that there's a Linux native Steam client coming out this year, I can't imagine that there'd ever be a reason for me to go back to Windows.

gulmer
July 16th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Switched to Ubuntu back when there was a version 5.xx. Computer repair friends turned me on to Ubuntu, they just handed me a disc and said "here, try this on that old desktop of yours". I asked "how much" and he said "free, here try it, you don't need much memory or hard drive space". I've been with Ubuntu ever since, through ups and downs. I've got 2 laptops w/Ubuntu and 1 desktop w/Ubuntu only and 1 w/Ubuntu and XP for old games the wife likes to play.

StardustLuna
July 16th, 2012, 11:06 PM
I completely switched to Ubuntu a few days ago because a) Windows 7 kept throwing me the bluescreen, and no matter how many updates I did it would not work right. I couldn't put it into hibernate mode or else when it woke up it would bluescreen. And b) when I decided to restore my laptop to factory settings in hopes that it would fix the problem, it erased the boot data. Seriously, it wouldn't start up again to finish the restore process.

So I was given two options:
1. Shell out more money to buy 7 again, and hopes that it will work this time.
or
2. Switch to Ubuntu which I KNOW will work and is free.

Honestly, I wanted to do that the very first time I got this computer, but decided not too because I thought configuring it would take time that I didn't have.

So while I've been house sitting for a friend, I've been tricking out my little laptop to do everything I ever wanted it to do and more. I'm currently trying to figure out if I can install a beats audio driver/program since the laptop originally came with it. And not too be offensive or anything, but my current audio is a hot mess.

~Stardust:KS

vasilbelarus
July 18th, 2012, 06:44 PM
I have windows and linux dualboot system, but the last time I used windows was long time ago. As it is the latest partition (with windows) on my hard drive, so it is time to delete it.

aerojh
July 18th, 2012, 10:21 PM
The day SolidWorks runs reliably on Linux (I'll even take Wine) I'm gone from Windows.

Raian the Fallen
July 19th, 2012, 01:45 AM
I wanted to awhile back, but like OP, I'm a gamer. Can't just ditch Windows.

mr john
July 19th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Windows 7 runs quicker on one of my older desktops than Ubuntu does for some reason. Older versions of Ubuntu used to run faster than Windows, but sadly I've found that to have changed over the last few years.

I run Ubuntu on my cheap netbooks, but I wont run it on my expensive laptop. I've experienced overheating issues in the past with Ubuntu and don't want to risk damaging my hardware prematurely.

Also, in the school where I work I need to use Windows with the big screen, because Ubuntu doesn't work well with the usb to DVI video adapter I need to use. It's a mess changing the resolution to fit on the screen.

I also do some sound recording and radio/video shows. Ubuntu doesn't work too well with alot of audio/video processing tasks (which is why Jono Bacon does alot of his community Q&A sessions using Windows). I have a mixer hooked up to my main desktop and it's easier to get things right on Windows. Also, I use the Winamp DSP plugin for broadcasting live from my mixer to my shoutcast server. IDJC is ok for this sometimes but it breaks quite easily and takes more work to configure.

Statia
July 20th, 2012, 11:33 AM
The last Windows version I used (at home), was 3.11. Refused to upgrade it to Windows 95. Started with Linux in 1997, with Red Hat 5.1. Linux has come a long way since!

Current OS situation: desktop with Kubuntu 12.04 64 bit, Acer Aspire One netbook with Ubuntu 12.04 32bit, EEE PC with Xandros , bridging router running dd-wrt, primary router runs Fritz!OS (is or wasn't that Linux based?), Philips TV PFL7606 runs Linux, four Android phones in the household, gf owns MacBook Air with OS X, one sad old WinXP laptop somewhere in a closet that's never really used anymore. A nearly Microsoft-free household :-) Thinking of getting a Raspberry Pi to run xbmc on.

stevecook
July 20th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Well i feel 10.04 is the best...12.04 is kind of disappointing but still its awesome :)
Windows for Games :)I must admit, I hated the unity interface immediately in 12.04. However, I since discovered how to log in to the classic gnome interface and, after further installing some tweaks for it, it now feels just like 10.04, which is what I used before. Also, the added advantage of 12.04 is that it picked up my peripherals a lot better than 10.04.

So, it's all good....:)

ahimichal
July 20th, 2012, 10:55 PM
I have been trying to migrate to linux for a few years but due to the problem of video calling in MSN, I switched back to Win many times. This time I will do my best as I ahve erased win7 but I have xp in virtualbox just in case and for a few language programmes etc.
I started by using Freeinspire in the beginning and later Ubuntu. My first linux experince was Knoppix, I was fascinated by the live CD thing of Knoppix and I decided to use linux starting by Freeinspire, which I have used for a few months. Later I tried a lot of distroes but ended up in fortunately in Ubuntu.
I hope the video calling will be solved in linux so that I will forget Win...
I have learned a lot and still learn everyday and I have customized my ubutnu to my taste, yeah I have crashed my OS I mean linuxes and Windowses but I have learned through that as well...
I like games and Playdeb has a lot to offer to gamers, I like Nexuiz most!
Cheers!!!

FatFrog
July 21st, 2012, 07:10 AM
I only use windows for work. I dual boot my laptop with Ubuntu 12.04 and Win 7. My PC is Ubuntu 12.04 only, as is my server. I made the full switch somewhere around December of last year and I haven't looked back.

forrestcupp
July 21st, 2012, 07:17 PM
I completely switch to Linux about every other week. :)

I completely switched to Ubuntu a few days ago because a) Windows 7 kept throwing me the bluescreen, and no matter how many updates I did it would not work right. I couldn't put it into hibernate mode or else when it woke up it would bluescreen. And b) when I decided to restore my laptop to factory settings in hopes that it would fix the problem, it erased the boot data. Seriously, it wouldn't start up again to finish the restore process.

So I was given two options:
1. Shell out more money to buy 7 again, and hopes that it will work this time.
or
2. Switch to Ubuntu which I KNOW will work and is free.

I've heard that people have had success using their OEM license to install Windows 7 from the legal iso downloads from Digital River. You just have to make sure to download same version you had. But if you're liking Ubuntu, go for it.

finallyfound
July 23rd, 2012, 12:42 AM
Vista was the last straw for me. ALL home workstations/notebooks run one or another linux distro.

I prefer my games to be trapped in a console: no coerced hardware upgrades, no system assault by foolish/arrogant developers.

completely switch to XMPP, yet? mpOTR on the horizon

fellgrail
July 23rd, 2012, 12:54 AM
I switched from Linux to Mac for a certain set of software. Now that I no longer need it, the only barrier to switching is hardware support. Photoshop works great in Virtualbox, and everything else is covered under linux.

oobuntuck
July 23rd, 2012, 01:28 PM
I did.

For me it meant freedom from a virus ridden life. My Canon Mx410 works with it, as do most other regular gadgets: phones/cameras/wireless. And I am content with LibreOffice, Inkscape, Audacity for other miscellaneous activities. Not a gamer or heavy duty user.

Switched about 4 years ago and have not looked back. Will not look back :)

king9174
July 23rd, 2012, 02:49 PM
I made the complete switch recently after buying a desktop from pc world and them not supplying it without windows! mind you i only paid £192 for a dual core i5 with 8Gb RAM :P

Bufeu
July 23rd, 2012, 06:31 PM
On my laptops, I only run Linux-based operating systems. Ubuntu on the one, Arch Linux on the other. My home server (used for media steaming and backup) is running Ubuntu Server. On my desktop I have triple-booted Windows 7 Pro, Ubuntu and BackTrack.
I also have a couple of VM's on my desktop with operating systems from Fedora, Debian and Mac OS to Windows 3.0, ReactOs and CentOS. There are two reasons why I still have Windows: gaming and sandboxing.
Sure, the popular games (like CoD, Battlefield, WoW and CS) you can run in Wine without any problem. Wine actually handles (these) games better than Windows do. But some programs and games just don't work in Wine, for example programs that requires .NET Framework 3 and above.
The other reason why I am still running Windows is the ability to easily run programs sandboxed. I have searched for an alternative program to Sandboxie (http://www.sandboxie.com/) for Linux, but so far I haven't found any program that's good enough.
But one thing is sure, I'll never ever install Windows 8 on my computers. Windows 7 will, indeed, be the last OS from Microsoft I'll run.

EDIT: And oh, on my work I'm using Ubuntu too.

mickeelm
July 24th, 2012, 10:20 PM
I've been using only Ubuntu for a while now, on my last computer I had a dual boot setup with Vista but the Windows partition quietly resided the last year(s), only ran it sporadically.

Now I got a laptop with Windows 7 on it from work, first thing I did was installing Ubuntu actually. I'm not really a fan of the knocking/raging/ranting between Windows/Mac/Linux (perhaps I'm too old, had my share of it) but I have found that I enjoy working in Ubuntu a lot more than I do working in Windows, it feels much simpler and more available, "straight to business".

So for me the main point is not that Ubuntu is free, because my computers has always come bundled with Windows (which is ********, I give you that in raging) so I'd prefer Ubuntu over Windows even if both cost money/both were free.

alpha-buntu
July 25th, 2012, 12:20 PM
switches from ubuntu to mac os :-)

hughh
July 25th, 2012, 06:41 PM
I'm no gamer, and switched years ago. I'm still required to use Winblows at certain of my clients—I'm a self-employed professional software consultant—and my wife still uses it, but that's it.

Paneless
July 26th, 2012, 06:44 AM
As my ID might suggest, I have no windows. I started to "look into" Ubuntu back in 2009, but for one reason or another continued with windows. A few weeks back, I discovered a 10.10 live cd and loaded it, then downloaded precise and reinstalled from scratch, erasing windows 7 in the process. Yes I still have a recovery disk but I cant think of any reason as to why I should ever want to reinstall. I've still a lot to learn, but the wealth of information available here has made the whole transition both educational and painless.
Thanks, Ryan

yuvraj23
July 26th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I have completely shifted to Ubuntu 12.04 few weeks ago. Earlier I was using dual-boot linux mint 13 and win7 ultimate..

vexorian
July 26th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I switched to ubuntu since around the date I joined this forum. That would mean 6 years, great stuff.

I think I wouldn't have done it without virtualBox, at least in my first years. It is now owned by the sleaxy, anti-foss company, Oracle, but really, it is such a great tool.

I am having issues lately getting used to windos 7 when I am left at computers that only have it installed. So many things with it don't make sense!

threedaysmore
July 26th, 2012, 09:32 PM
I personally have both. I boot win7 almost exclusively for a few games (Killing Floor, F.E.A.R. series, etc), otherwise I'm always in ubuntu, it's just easy and fun and fast.

moribashi
July 26th, 2012, 09:44 PM
I switched completely two weeks ago. Works really good!:)

Jedcurtis
July 27th, 2012, 01:30 AM
I completely switched 2 years ago and haven't looked back for the most part. That's not to say I haven't paid twice, on two different occasions, in the past 2 years to "upgrade" to Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit edition. However, I've been Ubuntu'd for the whole time.

Some of the time I've dual-booted between MS and Ubuntu. I stayed at Windows as long as I did because of an excuse I've read here at least a hundred times. Gaming. Then I came to the realization that I didn't game enough to warrant keeping MS around, so off it went. This XPS 15z purchased in Feb came with Win 7 Home Edition 64bit. After being sure everything worked fine with Ubuntu, Windows was quickly removed! (Besides, some good Linux games are out there if gaming truly is your thing...)

For what I use a computer to do, Ubuntu far outperforms Windows in any of it's iterations! That said, I'm just a lowly home user. I don't work so my only use is what I do with it at home. Pictures, music, writing, and maintaining jedsdesk.org. For the pic's, I mean the ones I take and then manipulate in some way to make it aesthetically prettier, and for music, just listening and organizing my rather large collection of Cd's and DVD's, and as to writing, well who among us doesn't want to be the next Samuel Clemens? Surfing the net, reading and sending email, all the little things we do daily with our pc's.

Ubuntu has all the tools for me to do all of the above, as well as, allow me to indulge my tech self with a better set of tools with which to control things down to the system level. My photography jones is also well supported by Ubuntu! :)

I worked in the computer tech field for over 25 years, and only wish I'd completely switched sooner!

Jed

linktopower
July 27th, 2012, 01:38 AM
I've been going between both windows and Linux Mint 12 for some time now. There's just some things I want linux to do but it just can't so I try to at least keep a windows partition on my computer.

Some day I might make the jump from my window (Pun intended) To freedom!, I just don't know when I'll feel 100% comfortably switching.

Mr.Plex
July 27th, 2012, 03:33 AM
The moment I learned to use wine to play video games I dropped Windows. I was running world of warcraft and black ops at full video settings flawlessly. This was around two years ago when I still gamed. "It just works", for everything.

malform11
July 27th, 2012, 04:12 AM
I don't want to ever use windows anymore. Linux is the best.

With Playonlinux I have installed my favorite games and graphics programs which are no longer supported by windows!

I am overwhelmed at the possibilities. I regret not studying more programming, as I see all the development tools.

I am very frustrated as manuals are not simple enough for me, and I can't seem to get help, as few know Linux. Manuals are never understandable, they are written for those who already know what they are doing..

I'm self-taught in HTML, visual basic 6, used to write assembly code for commodore 64!

I can't install any hardware with the control panel or anything... The machine always asks for a file with a different extension than what I get on downloads. I can't get started to learn perl because I can't make the simplest perl examples run.

I love Linux, but I can't figure it out without enough help to get me started....

Liveman
July 28th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I use mostly Linux. But because of FlightSim X I also run win 7 on my MacBook in bootcamp.
Stationary runs Linux and XP, second laptop runs on Linux, and so do my acer aspire one.

Linux is smooth, and works great!

bdfull3r
July 29th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Right now i am completely dependent on Linux but it wasn't my choice.

I had two drives one with windows and the other Ubuntu, the 1TB drive i used for Windows crashed two weeks after warranty ran out. Being unemployed it is kinda of stuck that way for the moment.

No major complaints. Ubuntu is smooth as hell and does almost everything i want it to do.

iburroughs
July 29th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I've used Linux/Ubuntu for 3 years now and love it but alas I'm still shackled to Windows and see no way out:

1. Can't find any income tax software
2. Netflix only works on windows

sakamoto
July 29th, 2012, 07:10 PM
i fully switched - there is just no way back for me:P microsoft should pay me in case i will ever have to use its os again :)

sid0972
July 29th, 2012, 08:18 PM
i've been trying ubuntu for the past 3 weeks and i must say it has started to grow on me, but being a hardcore gamer, have to keep windows, or rather like to keep windows

wbennett77
July 29th, 2012, 08:35 PM
I personally have gone Ubuntu 100 percent but I dual boot for my wife.

hil4vitkutin
July 29th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I use Ubuntu mostly, but dual booting with XP due to problems with AMD drivers ;P So I am not able to play demanding games with Ubuntu.

danyc05
July 30th, 2012, 03:06 AM
Man I cant even count how many times I've switched between windows and ubuntu by now only because of software compatibility issues.. Im really debating on whether I want to switch back because I miss it but being in college makes it a little difficult to switch back because of the adobe products that I use.. however I will always like Ubuntu more than windows..

Qualtrough
July 30th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I need to have Photoshop because even with Gutenprint and GIMP I find that some documents that I need to print out 1:1 don't print out 1:1. Have not figured that issue out yet. If there is a cure and I find it I am done with Windows.

vexorian
July 30th, 2012, 04:45 PM
That's probably something about your printer driver rather than GIMP/Gutenprint.

But you can probably run Photoshop in WINE, at least an old version.

arclance
July 30th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I need to have Photoshop because even with Gutenprint and GIMP I find that some documents that I need to print out 1:1 don't print out 1:1. Have not figured that issue out yet. If there is a cure and I find it I am done with Windows.
I had to configure the margins for my printer so the text would not get cut off.
Maybe you have a similar problem.

HeinS5
July 31st, 2012, 12:12 AM
Since I started with ubuntu 5 years ago I quitted working with windows. Except at work, which is out of my control.
If I would be a gamer I would consider an apple computer, but for the rest I am happy with linux!

Vakman
July 31st, 2012, 12:23 AM
Since I started with ubuntu 5 years ago I quitted working with windows. Except at work, which is out of my control.
If I would be a gamer I would consider an apple computer, but for the rest I am happy with linux!

Well, Valve is bringing Steam to Linux soon anyhow!

vexorian
July 31st, 2012, 05:59 AM
I am a gamer. It used to be that WINE worked 95% of the time 70% well, except on newest gamers. Nowadays, I can even run SC2 on WINE without much issue. Either way, to me, the newest games were never good enough to justify booting windows.

hughh
July 31st, 2012, 04:01 PM
I've used Linux/Ubuntu for 3 years now and love it but alas I'm still shackled to Windows and see no way out:

1. Can't find any income tax software

You can do income tax online with a browser.

2. Netflix only works on windows

Have you see this How-To Wiki (http://bit.ly/R3QybX)? It's probably not what you want, but it's something....

linuxfan247
July 31st, 2012, 09:49 PM
I as well, just a gamer but, a fan linux

linuxfan247
July 31st, 2012, 09:56 PM
I use mostly Linux. But because of FlightSim X I also run win 7 on my MacBook in bootcamp.
Stationary runs Linux and XP, second laptop runs on Linux, and so do my acer aspire one.

Linux is smooth, and works great!
I like linux and run scientific linux (not my fav) but, really wanted ubuntu or maybe mint LTS. I had issue with 12.04 dvd I bought from retail store, they won't refund nor give another cd. conical has not got back to me so,I am patiently waiting.

-Inoe-
August 13th, 2012, 11:18 PM
I started using Ubuntu in early 2009 (8.10, dual boot with XP at that time). It has been more than a year since I wiped Windows, and Ubuntu is the only operating system running in my notebook now.

I'm not really a gamer. Web programming activities is not a problem since Apache, PHP and MySQL are readily installable from the Software Center. For my digital artworks, Inkscape and GIMP do the job well.

gbrowning
August 14th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Dual boot with 12.04 and XP 'cause my work requires me to access the same files as others in the office. Sometimes Calc will pollute the Excel files during translation and retranslation.

satrapes
August 16th, 2012, 01:36 AM
I would like to use linux solely but i need windows to run matlab for my college. So i run virtualbox with windows xp. I just can't get myself to getting used to octave, who knows perhaps when i have some spare time to set it up to my liking it is going to be ok.

electricmaster
August 16th, 2012, 01:53 AM
I wish I could switch to Linux completely, I'm sick of Windows.
But I've got to keep it around for games and Rosetta Stone, mainly. (I can't get my mic to work!)

I think it's safe to say that most of us has something that binds us to Windows. I wish there was more support for mainstream retail applications

manvvip
August 23rd, 2012, 12:17 PM
Me.....

jrela2000
August 26th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Those that are concerned about gaming, it is getting better.

READ ME
(http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/17/happy-feat-valve-open-up-about-steam-linux/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rockpapershotgun%2Fsteam+%28R ock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%3A+Steam+RSS%29)

WATCH ME (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDXa9B69Ass&feature=g-vrec)

BigSilly
August 26th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I wish I could switch to Linux completely, I'm sick of Windows.
But I've got to keep it around for games and Rosetta Stone, mainly. (I can't get my mic to work!)

I think it's safe to say that most of us has something that binds us to Windows. I wish there was more support for mainstream retail applications

I don't really have anything that particularly binds me to Windows any more, other than a quick go on PES, or if I need to rip one of my DVD's that Linux can't seem to handle for one reason or another. Other than those basic things, I don't really depend on it, and I still use Linux 99.9% of the time.

Carborundum
August 26th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Used to be I kept Windows around to play games, but since I no longer game as much as I used to, I sold my Windows machine this past week.

I now have two laptops, both running Ubuntu, and one Android phone. Assuming Android counts as Linux, I am now exclusively a Linux user.

synaptix
August 26th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Assuming Android counts as Linux

It does, since it's Linux based.

Carborundum
August 26th, 2012, 05:59 PM
It does, since it's Linux based.
I know, but some consider it a Linux fork rather than a true Linux implementation.

apollothethird
August 26th, 2012, 08:05 PM
I don't really have anything that particularly binds me to Windows any more, other than a quick go on PES, or if I need to rip one of my DVD's that Linux can't seem to handle for one reason or another. Other than those basic things, I don't really depend on it, and I still use Linux 99.9% of the time.

Hi, BigSilly.

I don't know what a PES is, but I find ripping my DVD's easier under Linux than Windows... or at least just as easy.

There are a number of applications you can use. One of the simplest is DVDRip.

Installing it and running it is as simple as:

DVDRip (from Ubuntu's Dash)... it'll probably prompt you to click on install which is a simple button that automatically comes up.

You'll have to run a script for the encription:

$ sudo apt-get install libdvdread4 debhelper fakeroot
$ find /usr/share/doc -name 'install-css.sh' -type f | xargs sudo sh

From there just run the program and follow the GUI and you'll have your DVD copy.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

BigSilly
August 26th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Hi, BigSilly.

I don't know what a PES is, but I find ripping my DVD's easier under Linux than Windows... or at least just as easy.

There are a number of applications you can use. One of the simplest is DVDRip.

Installing it and running it is as simple as:

DVDRip (from Ubuntu's Dash)... it'll probably prompt you to click on install which is a simple button that automatically comes up.

You'll have to run a script for the encription:

$ sudo apt-get install libdvdread4 debhelper fakeroot
$ find /usr/share/doc -name 'install-css.sh' -type f | xargs sudo sh

From there just run the program and follow the GUI and you'll have your DVD copy.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Hi. PES is Pro Evolution Soccer, the best footie game there is. Sadly it doesn't work so well on WINE. And I know how to handle my DVD collection just fine thanks. :D It's just that occasionally I might come across one of my discs that won't rip in Linux, but will in Windows. :?: Dunno why but there it is.

jfmd
August 26th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Skype is the one thing keeping me from a full switch. I use Skype for hours at a time, in Linux, it crashes, right now I have a dedicated Win 7 PC that I use for skype, so I can still use Ubuntu as my main machine. I also have a slight addiction to onenote that I'm trying to break.:(

Ravi5kumar
August 27th, 2012, 04:22 AM
I am NOT completely switched to Linux because of Games! I love to play games in my spare times...
But beside gaming, I do all my task in Ubuntu.. Sorry but Wine doesn't help me to play those games in Ubuntu.

Bobik-s
August 27th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I've switched to Linux completely since Ubuntu 9.04. I've found it much easier and providing full control to the system. Have never had real need to switch to Windows. All tasks I can easily solve in Ubuntu - web-serfing, skype&IMs, e-mail, video transcoding, photos, torrents, music, etc. For games I have PS3, my laptop is too old for good games anyway. I've failed to convert my wife into Linux user (mostly because of Photoshop) though. There's no real motivation for her to use Linux.

jedispork
August 28th, 2012, 03:16 AM
I like linux and the idea behind open source but I still have to boot windows often. I know a lot of people are excited about steam coming to linux and that is great but even mac has a good amount of games available on steam but still lacking compared to windows. Not that I like them but facebook games don't seem to work properly under ubuntu when using firefox or chrome.

I also recently started using a site called smugmug for photo's and the uploader does not work nearly as well under linux firefox as it does in windows. In windows there are some nice 3rd party apps for uploading yet anything I found on linux has been abandoned. What else? I was stuck using 32 bit ubuntu because there aren't 64 bit drivers available for my printer and brother is known for having good linux support. I also have to boot windows if I want to update my garmin, etc.

I try to use linux compatible services and hardware but it seems the last thing anyone cares about to support. As much as I like linux and the ideas behind it I think a mac would be the only way to completely get away from windows.

Szor3n
August 28th, 2012, 03:20 AM
I have a macbook pro that I use as a digital audio workstation, but other than that, my desktop / laptop that I use for work are 100% linux. I started with ubuntu in 2006, but have been using Debian until 12.04, I got a bit jealous of how good unity has gotten.

paramvir
August 28th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Switched completely to linux from ubuntu 5.04 - and never looked back. Actually my first look at linux was Red Hat way back in 2000 - somehow did not work for me but Ubuntu did - though in 2007 went on to Arch linux.

mattfrog
August 28th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I've dual-booted since Redhat 5, but have only recently switched full time after buying a PC (Mac before).

Ubuntu full-time since the 12.04 release, and I'm a Windows network admin (ssshhh :lolflag: )

bjeff2010
August 28th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I have just recently gone windows free! Loaded Ubuntu 12.04 in place of Win 7 and never looked back!

electrosquirrel
August 28th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I think I first got to try Linux somewhere around 2004. It was some version of SuSE, but can't remember which one it was back then. It took some time for me to get used to the whole thing, especially because the whole idea of how you handle filesystems was so different to windows and DOS; "What? Where are my drive letters?". Somewhere around a year later "I accidentally the whole Windows, is this bad?", meaning I lost my Windows partition on my dual-booting laptop in a partitioning accident. Which by the way was caused by windows XP crashing during repartitioning. That's when I decided "'nuff is 'nuff", and since that I've been primarily using only Linux.

I did buy a newer laptop few years after that, and I did keep the Windows partition in that. It's just that I almost never booted it. It was Vista, and it managed to drive me completely insane before it even had booted the desktop completely so I could use it.

I also bought a netbook somewhere around the same time. I tried it with the preinstalled Win XP, and decided to rid of that resource hog immediately. After installing Linux (can't remember whether the distro was Ubuntu or Fedora back then) I was actually able to do something useful on the machine. The performance difference between the two systems was mind boggling, to say the least.

Nowadays I've got two computers at home; a desktop running Kubuntu from an SSD and a recently bought Samsung Series 5 ultrabook also running Kubuntu. As the years go by, I find less and less reasons to go back for any reason whatsoever.

In my professional life when I was working at electronics design, I had the advantage of getting to choose what software our department would use. I know that's a rare opportunity, but I had the honors. So I chose Cadsoft's Eagle, since it's Linux native and not a bad EDA at all (back then I didn't know of Kicad...). So, I had the opportunity to use Linux at work also. In went Kubuntu, and it was probably the easiest time of my life. I almost never shut my computer down when I left work, only locked the screen. So it used to have up to a couple of months uptime at a time. And it never started slowing down on me!

Currently, I work as IT support at a school, due to various reasons. That means I had to get reacquainted with Windows again. After having worked with different Linux distributions for years, I find Win 7 - even the so-called "professional" version - frustratingly confusing to use. The control panel has been crippled with all the "easy-to-use" "functionality", and finding anything you need doesn't seem to follow a logical pattern. Somehow it just feels like a toy compared to a functional Linux installation. I do admit that Windows 7 might be the best Windows so far, but it still doesn't enable me like Linux. And wherever Microsoft tries to be "user friendly" it usually just gets more messy, or just cripples functionality to the point of uselessnes.

So, for seven years now, I've been basically Linux-exclusive on my personal machines. I've used OpenSUSE, Fedora Core, Ubuntu and Kubuntu as my distros at varying times. As from my post you can see, I'm KDE-biased, so I've kind of gotten stuck with Kubuntu, even though I had a short fling with OpenSUSE again last year.

TheGurkha
August 28th, 2012, 09:45 PM
I've been completely Ubuntu for a few years now. I do have a VirtualBox with Windows XP in it though, for some stuff such as the software to get updates into my Garmin SatNav. There's no other way than do it in a Mac or Windows environment. But apart from little oddities like that I'm in Ubuntu all the time.

thotz
August 31st, 2012, 05:41 PM
First I did dual boots with Winows Me/ XP and Windows 7 and now with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS I only use Ubuntu.

Lucradia
August 31st, 2012, 05:44 PM
I'm a gamer, and use fraps, and will be using After Effects in the future, so I likely will have to stay with Windows.

njwarrior
August 31st, 2012, 08:33 PM
I truly despise Windows. First started playing with Linux back in probably 98 or 99, but gaming also kept me with some form of Windows for quite some time. Started dual-booting some years ago, but got tired of the reboots. Next, I switched to linux with Windows installed on VirtualBox. Now it is just straight Linux.

sickodasycho
September 5th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I fell like shearing my story.this is how I started using linux for everything.

back in the middle part of twenty elven I was forced to replace my laptop.it was a barely 2 year old hp touch smart and the board went out .So after realizing that it was going to be 300 more dollars to replace the board after i had already spent 1200 on the box and the upgrades I decided to replace it with something faster. I went on ebay and searched for a 10' with 4 cores that clocked at or over 3 g's. I found a listing for a modified lenovo ideapad with 9 gigs of ram and a 4 core i7 clocked at 2.20+ the add claimed it could oc well over the 3g mark when it needed to, and it had the NVIDIA Optimus card . so i ordered it.

I had it for a few months i think the first time i had to reinstall windows 7 from the recovery partition on the hard drive. lol

any way. it didn't take long and i got a virus some place again. it locked windows up somehow and it would not let any programs start at all.and it was sending all my contacts spam off my email accounts.

so I made a boot disk and ran a virus scan on line. it found nothing. I tried a bunch of things. at some point what ever was going on had started to effect every aspect of the operating system.

I found that the recovery partitions contained an antiviral program so I tried to run that. now i have no idea what happened next. but when i tried to boot the system after that scan it restarted about halfway threw the boot proses and deleted or corrupted the partition tables. witch did away with the recovery partition. to the degree that i was unable to recover the tables.

So I got my self a installation of ubuntu from a guy i know on a usb stick.{yes a whole unix os installed to a 5$ usb stick.not a live image} just to use my pc for a few days while i got some installation media to reinstall my win 7. a few weeks went by and i noticed that even from a usb stick ubuntu pretty much smokes windows 7.

when i finally got a copy of win7 insdtallion disk and it was time to reinstall I just couldn't do it. instead a downloaded ubuntu 12.4 and installed that.

even with the kernel bug that is still effecting this lenovo ideapad Y470. I just like linux better. I love how fast i can do things from the terminal.

I was a windows users sense windows got started. I'm from the days of dos and I had never in y life set down in front of a unix system. it toke me maybe a week to get use to the way linux works.and now I'm pretty comfortable with linux after only a few months.

every one says linux is hard to use.well I say it's not just easier to use then windows but it's a whole lot easer to find answers about things to. and theres no registry problems spy where virus's no bad programs to hijack your machine. linux is just a superior orating system.

Ubuntu converted me totally. I have no use for windows anymore. I'm running Ubuntu 12.4 with the cinnamon desktop. nothing els installed on my hard drive.

my next system will be a linux computer out of the box.

Bezukhov
September 7th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Its been three weeks since I installed 12.04 as a dual boot with Vista. Since then I only turned on Vista once, to rip a DVD. In the final analyses even that wasn't necessary, because Handbrake for Ubuntu did a better job than anything else I tried. And it was a source of pride that I compiled Hanbrake all by myself, the first time I ever attempted to compile anything.

The only things that I need WINE for is to run Project64, which is the most hardcore gaming I do. I've been trying to install Mupen, but every attempt is a failure. Also to run Solitaire from XP, which is my favorite version.

Sarastro
September 7th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I use only Ubuntu, desktop and home server. All of the software I need is in the repositories (or PPA). I was a Windows user but found that Ruby Ripper works as well as EAC, Puddletag as well as MP3Tag, Libre Office as well as MS Office, Rhythmbox as well as Foobar (well not really), Thunderbird as well as Outlook, GNUCash as well as Quicken, and I have always used VCL Media Player.

Sure, I was not instantly convinced when Dash and the new sidebar made its debut but now I find it indispensable and love the way it functions.

I am in the market for a new laptop but hate to think I will be paying for an operating system (MS Windows) which I will bypass and install Ubuntu on my first day of use.

Fotja
September 8th, 2012, 09:37 PM
ITunes...once a month because my IPhone...

motoroller
September 9th, 2012, 03:30 AM
I used DOS/Windows until switching to Mac OS in 1999 (yes, I had the original iMac). I pretty much exclusively used the various iterations of Mac OS until this year, where I was using the last version of OSX that would work on my PowerPC based system. Yeah... it felt like Apple gave us all a big middle finger when they announced the PowerPC would no longer be supported. I understand their reasons but still... It was disappointing.

With my old G5 getting long in the tooth (and no longer able to run most software due to it only working with Intel macs) I started thinking about a replacement. I wasn't keen on spending over $2000 for a replacement, and I dreaded the thought of going back to Windows. So.... I considered an alternative: Linux!

I briefly considered it back in the mid 90s, but back then there weren't the user-friendly distributions there are today. I believe there was only Slackware, Debian and Red Hat to choose from. It was a bit daunting for a beginner so I looked elsewhere. However, in 2012 Linux had progressed to the point where easy installation was a reality and I wouldn't have to compile everything myself!

I eventually chose Ubuntu due to its large user base and ease of installation, and after installing on a newly-built system I started my Linux journey. Over the past six months, I've tweaked it, discovered some of its capabilities, and experimented with desktop environments. I've used Unity, KDE, GNOME 3, LXDE, and finally Xfce.

So far, Xfce is my favourite because it's nicely customizeable, very fast, and greatly emphasizes functionality over beauty. I find Xfce to be low-fat and elegant in its simplicity.

The only time I ever use windows now is when I play certain games (which is pretty rare these days). I find wine works about 80% of the time, and it's steadily improving.

So yeah... aside from the occasional gaming session, I'm completely switched!

CmdGabriel
September 9th, 2012, 06:32 AM

Once a week, we play windows games over internet with friends... ;)

Jakin
September 9th, 2012, 06:50 AM
I am pretty much all linux (Ubuntu) i VERY rarely boot into windows. I do so (oddly) to make sure its still working, update it- maybe one day i will need to really use it.

Windows is there, for when a friend or family bugs me to install a game to play along with them- other than that, im not really a gamer, so i don't care.

tinman6700
September 9th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I've been playing around with linux for a few years now, and tried a few distros. Had Edgy running perfectly on my laptop until I sold that, and finally made the full switch on my desktop, to Precise. The only things I miss are having the functionality of my Audigy breakout box, and iTunes. On the flip side of that, my computer now runs %1000 better than it ever did under XP, even with a fresh install, so I see no reason to ever go back. My media center still runs XP Media Center '05, basically because I'm not sure about hardware compatibility in Linux, and I don't have an install disk for MCE. If i wipe it out, and don't like the way Linux runs, or can't get it to output in component video, for whatever reason, I'm stuck. I also just completely switched my gf's computer to Precise yesterday. I.m having some issues getting her wireless to connect, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

spaceshipguy
September 9th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I've been fully Ubuntu for ages, but when I bought my new computer with Windows 7 I was thinking of setting it up as dual boot. I started the computer, Windows started a pretty graphical introduction animation to show me the features of my new machine, and the animation crashed.
I just wiped the whole HD and installed Ubuntu. I've got Windows 7 in a virtual machine for my iPod - but iTunes refuses to install iPod drivers. Typical, the one thing you need the OS for, and it's not capable of it.

afulldeck
September 9th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Only two reasons not to be fully ubuntized (work & itunes). I've almost solved the work issue, but itunes continues to be the pain.....

Gremlinzzz
September 9th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Went back to Windows!(Windows 7) seems to be a solid OS

afulldeck
September 10th, 2012, 12:40 PM

Whose pants are on fire?

satyamM
September 10th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Working ONLY on Ubuntu(Linux) for past 8 months...and happy..!!! :guitar:

CleoB
September 10th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I switched to Linux from Windows Vista just to give it a try. I should say I expected it to be more difficult and less fancy:) (I'm a girl)
It works really great for me comparing with Windows: no lags, no sudden updates and the interface is quite user-friendly. And moreover it's free!
I personally cannot imagine a better OS now. Will continue using it. The only minus for me is that not every program works for it, for example such tools like Midi player freeware (http://midiplayer.info/) do not. A lot of games I used to play are not supported.

But I still love Ubuntu:)

Artemis3
September 10th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I'm surprised the mouse can move around without some form of geeky advanced configuration to start off with..

Ah yes, back in the good ol' days you had to edit the X conf file, and choose the correct mouse protocol and port; and decide if you used gpm or not, Its not like nowdays, where everything works perfect by default :P

Protip: If you fail at ubuntu, try other distro, or go use what you like. Trolling here won't get you a thing.

Also, the economic model has nothing do to with it. Free Software is not unpaid, you only pay when you want/need to, eg, to get someone fix things for you... Its free as in freedom, and you are free to charge for it, but can't impose on others what to do with their copy, following the license rules (which allows you to charge for it, or give it away, your problem).

People working with free software often charge for support/fixes instead of copies, as realistically you could only charge for the first copy anyway (fund the project).

satyamM
September 10th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I switched to Linux from Windows Vista just to give it a try. I should say I expected it to be more difficult and less fancy:) (I'm a girl)
It works really great for me comparing with Windows: no lags, no sudden updates and the interface is quite user-friendly. And moreover it's free!
I personally cannot imagine a better OS now. Will continue using it. The only minus for me is that not every program works for it, for example such tools like Midi player freeware (http://midiplayer.info/) do not. A lot of games I used to play are not supported.

If you are unmarried then perhaps I have found mom for my Kids...!! :lolflag::lolflag:

(Seeing that many things are not going a nicer way, but you still love Ubuntu. I didn't think any girl would think like that)..!! :P :P

Artemis3
September 10th, 2012, 03:23 PM
The only minus for me is that not every program works for it, for example such tools like Midi player freeware (http://midiplayer.info/) do not. A lot of games I used to play are not supported.

There are many many ways to play midi files, my favorite is to install the package fluidsynth (software midi synth) and use audacious to play midis (with a small 3,2M soundfont called Scc1t2.sf2 ;))

Some newer games work with wine, but take an initial effort configuring and a good supported (usually nvidia) 3d video board. Older games might work with dosbox or scummvm (which can also use fluidsynth), etc.

Try to ask for help in the proper areas of the forums or in chat.

afulldeck
September 10th, 2012, 04:15 PM
It works really great for me comparing with Windows: no lags, no sudden updates and the interface is quite user-friendly.

Bingo. No lags, this cannot be understated. My time is important and wasting it sitting infront of a spining icon is soul sucking experience I am loth to participate in...

Primus1
September 16th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Years ago I tried Heron, couldn't get online so it had to go. Tried 10.04 LTS when it first came out, installed, clicked on the web icon and was online straight away, that was all I needed to dump window$.

Erik1984
September 16th, 2012, 08:16 PM

Have you tried any of those games in Wine? It's not the perfect solution but you could be lucky on some of the games especially when they are older (no DirectX version higher than 9). Just saying because I bought a Windows game last weekend, Plants Vs Zombies (only €5 couldn't resist), that seems to work really well with Wine 1.4.

jones27557
September 17th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Wish I could say me. Unfortunately I have to keep a second laptop around so I can log into my security cam that uses ActiveX to view my cameras.

Not sure why it is this way. I am aware of the proprietary excuses and the security excuses. I just fail to believe that on the whole planet there is only one way to view a fricking webcam in real-time other than with activex.

donniezazen
September 17th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I have no windows in my household. I dearly miss Netflix and Evernote. Oh Well!

sammiev
September 17th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I have no windows in my household. I dearly miss Netflix and Evernote. Oh Well!

Are you sure you have no windows in your house. :lolflag:

Euph0ria
September 20th, 2012, 12:52 AM
I love Linux, but the content base and stability (yes stability) of windows is just too significant. Linux has made some fantastic advancements and I LOVE using it for so many reasons, but it's still not close to being par with Windows. At least, not Windows XP, or Windows 7. XP has been around long enough to become extremely solid, and Win7 is solid as well. Vista was always a Joke, and, while I've never used Windows 8, It looks like it belongs on a television set, or tablet from what I've seen and it looks hard to take seriously... I can't be objective though because like I said, I've never used it. As it is, I have two machines running full time. One with Linux, and another with Windows 7 Pro, and I couldn't do without, because there are simply too many things each can do that the other can't. (actually, I *could* fully run Linux in a VM in windows and get the full deal, but not the other way around) but I decided to make a dedicated Linux box, third-party drivers and all.

Euph0ria
September 20th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Have you tried any of those games in Wine? It's not the perfect solution but you could be lucky on some of the games especially when they are older (no DirectX version higher than 9). Just saying because I bought a Windows game last weekend, Plants Vs Zombies (only €5 couldn't resist), that seems to work really well with Wine 1.4.

"Plants vs. Zombies" isn't a *real* game. May as well be solitaire, if you know what I mean. ;)

And actually I believe there is software available that you can push it up to DX10 or so by running it all through OpenGL. Never went that far because I've never had the need, but I've read about it, and was careful looking at my OpenGL/OpenCL specs when buying my graphics cards with that in mind, if I were to some day find the need/desire to do so. I think there is a commercial fork of PlayOnLinux, also aimed at Mac users, so they can attempt to play some of the PC titles. Been awhile though, forgot what it's called.

mamamia88
September 20th, 2012, 01:58 AM
I have completely switched myself. I only run 2 programs in wine that i use occasionaly. Mkv2vob for converting mkv for my ps3 and mp3tag because i find it much easier to use than linux alternatives. One day I will probably build a gaming rig or buy a mac just out of sheer curiosity but until then 100% linux.

synaptix
September 20th, 2012, 02:37 AM
Full switch a few days ago. Both desktop and laptop now run Xubuntu 12.04. :)

pompel9
September 20th, 2012, 02:51 AM
I completely switched over (haven't used any linux before I switched over) for 5 or 6 months ago (just an estimate, don't remember which month I made the switch). Ubuntu is so great that I have no need for windows.

And the reason I jumped over to linux, was the spyware that will be installed as default in windows 8. Microsoft can see anything you do, they can even shut your computer down (making it unusable, until you format the HDD). I will not support a company that do such things.

So I will not buy any more microsoft product until they change their ways.

Actually, linux was the only option. Apple is even more control freaks than microsoft, and I do not buy any of their products either.

afulldeck
September 20th, 2012, 03:21 AM
And the reason I jumped over to linux, was the spyware that will be installed as default in windows 8. Microsoft can see anything you do, they can even shut your computer down (making it unusable, until you format the HDD). I will not support a company that do such things.

Spyware? What are you talking about exactly?

pompel9
September 20th, 2012, 03:56 AM
This spyware: http://log.nadim.cc/?p=78

They do not call it spyware, but essentially it is spyware.

c2tarun
September 20th, 2012, 08:28 AM

well 1191 beans and back to windows. What were doing on this forum for so long?

Erik1984
September 20th, 2012, 08:56 AM
"Plants vs. Zombies" isn't a *real* game. May as well be solitaire, if you know what I mean. ;)

And actually I believe there is software available that you can push it up to DX10 or so by running it all through OpenGL. Never went that far because I've never had the need, but I've read about it, and was careful looking at my OpenGL/OpenCL specs when buying my graphics cards with that in mind, if I were to some day find the need/desire to do so. I think there is a commercial fork of PlayOnLinux, also aimed at Mac users, so they can attempt to play some of the PC titles. Been awhile though, forgot what it's called.

Sure, it's not a triple A title but that doesn't mean it runs easily on Linux, it's still a Windows game. When I tried it before under Ubuntu 10.10 sound would just stop playing after a while and now it runs perfect so Wine makes progress. Therefore more chance of running (especially older) Windows games on Linux. Great to read DX10 stuff might work too.

Ermie
September 20th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Nice Question. I love Linux (because it is virus free). I am Linux user since 2009.

3dmatrix
September 20th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Nice Question. I love Linux (because it is virus free). I am Linux user since 2009.

Well plz correct me if i am wrong but i feel there is nothing called "Virus free"
No one can stop you if you yourself wish to jump in fire. But for several factors (it would be too much to describe here, one can find it on several websites) it is relatively difficult for a linux machine to get infected, unless one foolishly or intentionally wishes to cut his own throat.

pudlonious
September 25th, 2012, 10:18 PM
3 of 4 computers are Linux based. I got my start with 10.04.

Lennily
September 25th, 2012, 11:35 PM
I use Ubuntu for 2 years)
Yesterday smth. happened with my PC and with X-server, I think. And no one distributive can't work. It's a tragedy for me. I can't go back to Windows as a main system. I tried to fix my PC already two days, but useless(
So this two days I ought to use my 10" laptop) It's not convinient, but it's better than using Windows))
I also have and Windows on my PC. But I use it only for Photoshop. And little by little I try to use Gimp)

djibrilcoulibaly
September 26th, 2012, 01:52 AM
I caught Ubuntu recently ( not month ago ) and I won't left it ( look not easy ) . 99% of the software I used is only for Windows .
is there way by what I can use them under uBuntu ? all seem ok even with some difficulty yet but better is on way...

mistergil
September 26th, 2012, 02:05 AM
dgib...WINE is an emulator that permits one to run quite a few ******* applications..it is in the software center.

Been running different XFCE distros for quite a few years. Actually the whole family runs Linux. Gave up windows due to the constant stability issues. We find Xubuntu to be nicely polished and very stable. If I can run and learn it at 63 yrs of age anyone can. Trying to teach myself python as well and its a lot of fun!!

mamamia88
September 26th, 2012, 06:08 AM
dgib...WINE is an emulator that permits one to run quite a few ******* applications..it is in the software center.

Been running different XFCE distros for quite a few years. Actually the whole family runs Linux. Gave up windows due to the constant stability issues. We find Xubuntu to be nicely polished and very stable. If I can run and learn it at 63 yrs of age anyone can. Trying to teach myself python as well and its a lot of fun!!
wine is not an emulator. that is what wine stands for . just had to throw that out there.

Lennily
September 26th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Trying to teach myself python as well and its a lot of fun!!

Me too) I run free on-line course in University of Toronto) It's very interesting :)

ld114
September 26th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I try to use Ubuntu for most stuff. I was never a Windows user really however - I have a five year old MacBook that I now use for recording TV programmes and films which links by wifi to a Sony Media server connected to the TV.

I will probably try to move this to Linux in the future, though so far the functionality and ease of use of the purchased Eye TV software for the Mac is superior to anything I have found on linux. So having bought it some time ago, I will keep using it for now.

Linux is great for mainstream desktop stuff (by which I mean email, browsing, office, playing music and so on), but once you go away from this there always seem to be under the bonnet issues that require investigation to make them work. And there isn't always time or the necessary knowledge. For example I can't get Me-TV to work on Ubuntu 12-04 and in any case editing out commercials is a real struggle in Openshot. I will have a look at Lightworks when that arrives on Ubuntu, but I wonder if that will be overkill when all I want to do is edit out commercials from recorded films.

For me Ubuntu is the most rounded linux version available - and I have introduced a few people to it. They would probably run a mile if confronted with the command line - but these are the kind of people that Ubuntu needs if it is to outgrow the hobbyist/enthusiast sector or the corporate/supported sector.

So I think more of the software needs to be accessible for these users and work out of the box. It sounds good to have thousands of programs included in the software centre, but the core of things that "just work" and which are supported directly by Ubuntu developers maybe needs to expand. The software centre is often more than not just confusing without some technical understanding - and it should be possible to set it up so that CLI programs can be hidden.

Importing CDs is another case in point. Sound juicer is the recommended program for ripping CDs, but it can only get data for less than 50% of my CDs (whether or not you are a fan of iTunes, its online database gets a 100% hit when retrieving data). So I use Asunder to rip CDs as it uses a different database and has a better hitrate for retrieving data. But Asunder can't (as far as I can see) be set up as a preferred application. There is always some little thing...

XBMC old School
September 28th, 2012, 07:44 AM
I try to use Ubuntu for most stuff. I was never a Windows user really however - I have a five year old MacBook that I now use for recording TV programmes and films which links by wifi to a Sony Media server connected to the TV.

I will probably try to move this to Linux in the future, though so far the functionality and ease of use of the purchased Eye TV software for the Mac is superior to anything I have found on linux. So having bought it some time ago, I will keep using it for now.

Linux is great for mainstream desktop stuff (by which I mean email, browsing, office, playing music and so on), but once you go away from this there always seem to be under the bonnet issues that require investigation to make them work. And there isn't always time or the necessary knowledge. For example I can't get Me-TV to work on Ubuntu 12-04 and in any case editing out commercials is a real struggle in Openshot. I will have a look at Lightworks when that arrives on Ubuntu, but I wonder if that will be overkill when all I want to do is edit out commercials from recorded films.

For me Ubuntu is the most rounded linux version available - and I have introduced a few people to it. They would probably run a mile if confronted with the command line - but these are the kind of people that Ubuntu needs if it is to outgrow the hobbyist/enthusiast sector or the corporate/supported sector.

So I think more of the software needs to be accessible for these users and work out of the box. It sounds good to have thousands of programs included in the software centre, but the core of things that "just work" and which are supported directly by Ubuntu developers maybe needs to expand. The software centre is often more than not just confusing without some technical understanding - and it should be possible to set it up so that CLI programs can be hidden.

Importing CDs is another case in point. Sound juicer is the recommended program for ripping CDs, but it can only get data for less than 50% of my CDs (whether or not you are a fan of iTunes, its online database gets a 100% hit when retrieving data). So I use Asunder to rip CDs as it uses a different database and has a better hitrate for retrieving data. But Asunder can't (as far as I can see) be set up as a preferred application. There is always some little thing...

Hard not too iBash that but try this one (http://xbmc.org/) out

Erik1984
September 28th, 2012, 07:50 AM
@ld114

My preferred application for ripping is K3B. Maybe not ideal on Ubuntu because it's a Qt app but I find it superior in album information retrieval. So far it could classify nearly all of my albums.

ld114
September 28th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks XBMC Old School and Euroman - I shall look into those suggestions.

I should note that I have now got Me-TV running on Precise. There is a development repository for it on launchpad which provides a recent build of version 1.40. You need to remove any old versions of Me-TV including config files (and delete ~/.local/share/me-tv) before the install. This recent version doesn't create a channels.conf however, so you have to do that with w-scan (sudo apt-get install w-scan). The command I used in a terminal is:

$ w_scan -c GB -x >channels.conf

I have a Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T usb tuner - I plugged it in an then ran Additional Drivers from System Settings which installed the right DVB driver. Rebooted with the tuner connected, ran Me-TV, selected the channels.conf file and it worked. You can delete channels but not re-order them. However it works. I like Me-TV as it is a lightweight program if you just want to watch TV.

Deepblue3
September 30th, 2012, 06:18 AM
I am in the market for a new laptop but hate to think I will be paying for an operating system (MS Windows) which I will bypass and install Ubuntu on my first day of use.

There are online companies who will build you a box or laptop OS-free from the ground up, at least there are here in the UK. I would imagine that's the case in the US too. I bought such a box a year ago and installed Ubuntu, my favourite Linux OS, which I've used happily now for the past two years - as many have said, it just works!

buckyaustin
September 30th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I have completly switched to Linux, used Fedora,Ubuntu,Xubuntu,Lubuntu,Puppy,DSL and currently using Kubuntu.

Since your are a gammer I recommend installing wine,playonlinux, this will allow you play some games that are only available to M$. Also steam is comming to Ubuntu. I think you can download the beta.

Good luck gamming on Linux. ;)

cariboo
October 1st, 2012, 01:32 AM
I replaced my network adapter in April, and just booted into Windows 8 for the first time since then, and found the network wasn't automagically supported like it is in Ubuntu. I downloaded the driver software from the manufacturer's web site, and tried to set it up in Windows, and the software tells me I have to install it before inserting the adapter into the computer.

I'm not going to pull the adapter, just to install the driver software. I guess this ends my Windows usage on this system (which is my main computer) until I build a new system next spring.

sammiev
October 1st, 2012, 03:09 AM
I replaced my network adapter in April, and just booted into Windows 8 for the first time since then, and found the network wasn't automagically supported like it is in Ubuntu. I downloaded the driver software from the manufacturer's web site, and tried to set it up in Windows, and the software tells me I have to install it before inserting the adapter into the computer.

I'm not going to pull the adapter, just to install the driver software. I guess this ends my Windows usage on this system (which is my main computer) until I build a new system next spring.

Be a sport, I want to know the rest of the story! :popcorn:

djibrilcoulibaly
October 1st, 2012, 03:37 AM
I still using Windows becoz most of my stuff suported only Windows ...
but sure it's not for long Because folks here will help me to write a petitions against my stuff Devs . before that I walking through in some Linux wiki these days . to up my linux knowledge . before the fight with windows an my stuff developers:lolflag:

rickyrockrat
October 1st, 2012, 07:29 PM
There are online companies who will build you a box or laptop OS-free from the ground up, at least there are here in the UK. I would imagine that's the case in the US too. I bought such a box a year ago and installed Ubuntu, my favourite Linux OS, which I've used happily now for the past two years - as many have said, it just works!

Zareason is an excellent company. I've bought a laptop from them that is still a great box. System 76 is also good. I bought one from them that didn't boot, and they took it back no questions asked. Both good companies.

Starynite
October 2nd, 2012, 02:59 AM
I am totally switched. I hated the viruses and Antivirus programs that slow you down. I liked the Gnome desktop and want to go back to it. I have 12.04 now. I have done all I have read and still see no choice at startup near my name in the right top corner.