PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

dumb as a stump
August 16th, 2011, 05:05 AM
I switched to Linux completely since 2007, starting with Ubuntu 6.10, and never looked back. Before that I tested other Linux distros such as Redhat, Mepis, and Puppy Linux. I just upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04, mostly to check out the Unity interface, but it does not seem to work on my machine, so I just use the classic setting.

If you don't mind me asking how does one switch to classic? I'm thinking of upgrading from 9.04 and hate the look of 11.04.

yetiman64
August 16th, 2011, 05:26 AM
If you don't mind me asking how does one switch to classic? I'm thinking of upgrading from 9.04 and hate the look of 11.04.

At the login screen, click on your username, a session box will appear on the bottom bar, choose " Gnome Ubuntu Classic" there, then login with your password. You should only have to do this the first time you use it and it will default to that session type on future logins unless you change it again later on.

Edit: it's "Ubuntu Classic" not "Gnome Classic" #-o, thanks Alwimo (post 8004) Think I need more coffee :lol:

techtabu
August 16th, 2011, 05:30 AM
I am trying to move completely Linux.. But I started using Ubuntu since I recently became a supporter of OSS. Unfortunately, I could not find a match for MS Office (at least for Word) for writing technical reports. Especially for equation editing. I am a engineering masters and need to write papers and reports with lot of complicated equations. Even though Libre and Open office support some equation editing, they are not as good as MS Word. If i could solve that problem, I will definitely move completely to Linux.

Alwimo
August 16th, 2011, 05:31 AM
I think it says Ubuntu Classic. 11.10 won't have that, though.

Livin4Jesus
August 16th, 2011, 06:04 AM
I still have Windows 7 installed because my dad is a n00b when it comes to Linux... >.>
But, if I could delete Windows, believe me I would.
Ubuntu shall reign supreme! :D

8_Bit
August 16th, 2011, 06:25 AM
I wish I could go full-on Linux but I still need Photoshop. Blender also bonks out using non-proprietary drivers, and it's a headache getting the proprietary ones to work on anything but Ubuntu. So I still have Windows 7 and use it daily.

snakeman21
August 16th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Wow. A 7-year-old, 800+ page thread, and still going strong.

yaddoshi
August 16th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I'm an IT professional and I've been using Ubuntu as my primary OS for years, but tended to keep Windows around for gaming purposes. One of my kids was surfing an art website while XP was running and managed to get nailed by a drive-by rogue antivirus program (http://fatedtoend.com/content/infected-microsoft-can-go-hell), which was pretty much the last straw.

Upon acquiring a new laptop which shipped with Windows 7, I gave Windows a shot for the 1st six months with the understanding that Microsoft has improved their security dramatically, and grew to dislike it immensely.

I recently acquired a 60gb SDD, put it as the primary drive and loaded only Ubuntu 11.04 on it. I boot into Ubuntu Classic (no effects) and am currently playing World of Warcraft and Minecraft using ATI proprietary drivers. It's very fast, boots in about 10 seconds, GIMP loads in 2 seconds, & everything is sweet. The laptop had an unused drive bay so I purchased the necessary caddy and attached the original 500GB drive as secondary. I still need to blow away the Windows partition and expand the EXT3 partition to the full capacity of the drive, and set it to mount automatically on startup. I'll then set up symbolic links for the Videos and Pictures folders and anything else I'll want to store there.

Now if only I could get my employer to let me ditch Windows, I'd be free...

Ghost|BTFH
August 16th, 2011, 03:45 PM
90% Linux user, 10% Windows Gamer.

Windows gets fired up whenever I feel like playing a game on my system (As my console systems are woefully ancient and need to be updated - but I don't want to update them until the newest comes out.) and nothing else.

Smart Viking
August 16th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I've been using GNU/Linux full-time since about two months before I registered this account, my computer crashed and I just completely switched, after that I haven't touched windows, even though it was a hardware problem and the switch didn't fix it. <3

I was quite a gamer when I used windows, so I had to completely stop playing the games I usually played, which I don't regret now really, because they were a waste of time as I see it. Now I use even longer time sitting in front of the computer, but I do useful stuff and learn about computers. I still game a little though, my favorite games are Mines from gnome games, and Tetris.

ihartmydoghead
August 16th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I switched a little over a week ago. Right now, I am totally lost. I think I maybe should have kept windows until I became familiar with Ubuntu. I am in sink or swim mode, and haven't a clue. Oh, well. I am presently trying to find a tutorial on using unix commands so I can understand the advice/help I am getting on these forums.

peyre
August 16th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I switched a little over a week ago. Right now, I am totally lost. I think I maybe should have kept windows until I became familiar with Ubuntu. I am in sink or swim mode, and haven't a clue. Oh, well. I am presently trying to find a tutorial on using unix commands so I can understand the advice/help I am getting on these forums.

You can always ask for help on here on Ubuntuforums.org--I've gotten answers to a number of questions/issues here, either by searching or asking. And with newbie stuff, I might be able to help.

One handy thing I've found is to keep a "Linux" folder somewhere, full of text files I write up on how to do certain things I've had trouble with and needed to get help on. Now when I'm setting up a new box I get the how-to-do-that from my text files rather than having to look them up on the Internet again.

techtabu
August 16th, 2011, 06:36 PM

One of the reference I have found that is useful for the beginners is this
http://linuxcommand.org/index.php..

Ubuntu documentation is another source. Also, you can ask yor questions in the forum.. Cheers mate...

falonyn
August 16th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I have used Ubuntu since Ubuntu 5.04 on one computer or the other. Once I got my first laptop in 2006 I installed Ubuntu on it was a bit of a pain. Those were the days when the wide screen resolution wasn't detected out of the box, no MP3 support out of the box, and the wireless connections sucked. I stuck with it and have watched Ubuntu evolve. I can say that the comparison is night and day to what it was and what it is now.

Now I only have the laptop and I only use Linux. The only problems I have right now is Netflix doesn't work, and my Android phone will charge, but not mount. Which I find funny since I thought Android was Linux based originally. I love Linux and no matter how many times I try to go back to Windows, I find myself back at Ubuntu.

Never got into Kubuntu because I have found KDE and everything K about it annoying and cumbersome. But I have heard that Kubuntu 11.04 is awesome. I might switch.

MistaKD
August 16th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Installed Ubuntu as a dual boot on the laptop with XP , not sure if XP works or not as hav'nt tried booting it yet (4 months in) :p

kazuya
August 16th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Been fully switched to Linux since 2005. I last dual booted for a specific mmorpg game 2 years ago. For the last 4 years, there has been virtually no need for me to dual boot to windows.

I only go to windows when I am trying to recreate a scenario to troubleshoot some one else's windows XP or 7 issues.

peoplegetpeople
August 16th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Literally the first time i've ever used ubuntu was friday night (4 days ago) when i decided to dual boot on a whim just out of curiosity. I have since become a diehard Linux/Ubuntu fan. I don't plan on switching back anytime soon if ever. It's a little to early to wipe that ntfs partition and use it for ubuntu but I'm pretty sure that's where 11.10 will be installed. RIP Windows! :-({|=

peoplegetpeople
August 16th, 2011, 11:10 PM

google and youtube are your friends. especially in this case. I'm less than a week in and already accomplished things that I never did figure out on windows - such as remote access between my android and pc - with ubuntu it took me about 2 hrs of googling to make it work. I'm blown away by the ease of execution compared to windows. I'm new as well, but I'll help out if i can! :)

edit: sorry for the double post :p

dumb as a stump
August 18th, 2011, 04:49 AM
Thanks

amiacamal
August 18th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Laptop was constantly crashing with win 7, so i decided to dual boot 11.04. 2 days later i nuked windows. Good riddance :P

oaxacamatt1
August 19th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Ubuntu full time for the past 3 years. Part time for 5-ish?

cblah001
August 19th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Except for work I have been only using Linux for about a year now. I still have Windows 7 in a partition and actually booted it yesterday (can't just delete Adobe CS!). It took me half an hour to shut it down because of 45 updates. :x

Buntu Bunny
August 19th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I've used Ubuntu on a dual boot with Windows for about 5 years. I rarely ever use Windows, except to add new hardware, or if I need tech support for same (because they can't help me in linux.) I need to learn how to do this on my own and get rid of Windows entirely. Can anyone suggest a good online beginners class for learning ubuntu-speak?

goldshirt9
August 19th, 2011, 06:52 PM
desktop windows
laptop fully linux

dumb as a stump
August 21st, 2011, 03:47 AM
One of the reference I have found that is useful for the beginners is this
http://linuxcommand.org/index.php..

Ubuntu documentation is another source. Also, you can ask yor questions in the forum.. Cheers mate...
Thank you for the link I too need to learn.....

dumb as a stump
August 21st, 2011, 03:57 AM
I may as well add my bit .Been 2 years now and love it although don't know anything about commands.I read my dos book many times cover to cover.I have used dos 3.3, 5, win 3.1, 95,98,2k and started xp. Hated ME and not fond of XP.This is a dual boot machine. Came used with XP pro and I made install disks in case I need it but haven't been in windozy in months. I predict that soon linux will be where it needs to be for more of the windows users to be able to use it easily.I have been trying different distros and versions of linux and am happy I made the change.Thanks to all those that have written the code to get us where we are so far.

ladi
August 21st, 2011, 04:30 AM
i just completely switched to Ubuntu 11.04, no win or mac, after discovering my anti-virus, HP tools, and everything else are spyware, adware and virus :D so i started suspecting my ISP too. maybe i'm just paranoid. well at least now i got my hard disk encrypted too after the switch and planned to us VMware and Tor. lol.

ok this just sounds too extreme. well I GUESS I FINALLY SAY BYE BYE TO WINDOWS!!!

lpwaqas
August 28th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Lol I switched over like 2 years ago never used windows on my PC in this time, however I had to use win7 for fixing a thing for a client :D

DLM955
August 29th, 2011, 05:14 AM
I had two die hard windows users for room mates..after 18 months 3 failers {due to virus} each time, that a linux newb fixed for them,I talked them into letting me setup a dual boot system on both of there machines.It has been two months now and they both admit they don't boot windows any more..the only problem we had was a monitor went pink, all the white had a pink tint to it,We tried different vid card,a different monitor,I even plugged my laptop into it all pink.After a lot of the monitors gone bad and it's only two years old,I thought what did all those connections have in common, the monitor cable .Sure enough there cat had chewed the cord..... but hey at least it wasn't an OS problem....

peyre
August 29th, 2011, 05:19 AM
..the only problem we had was a monitor went pink, all the white had a pink tint to it,We tried different vid card,a different monitor,I even plugged my laptop into it all pink.After a lot of the monitors gone bad and it's only two years old,I thought what did all those connections have in common, the monitor cable .Sure enough there cat had chewed the cord..... but hey at least it wasn't an OS problem....

As my NT instructor used to say, most problems come down to the physical layer.

BlacqWolf
August 29th, 2011, 05:20 AM
I'm a 100% Ubuntu user, but unfortunately I sometimes cannot use my PC and have to use others' computers that run Windows. Not that I'm a hater, just that I find Windows inconvenient and bloated.

rmcellig
August 29th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Hi allwimb,

You say you are a complete Linux user since 2002. Do you find that there are some things that Ubuntu Linux can't do? have my Mom running Ubuntu on a circa 2001 Dell desktop computer. It works very well for her needs (mail, banking, internet, word processing). Even though I have been using Macs since 1988, I am always drawn back to Linux.

I have Ubuntu 11.04 (classic mode) running on a HP laptop. I have thought at times to switch 100% to Linux but am a bit reserved that I will not be able to do what I usually do on a Mac. For example on the Mac, I do a lot of Audio editing. In Linux I think the only audio editing program I came across that meet my needs is Audacity (unless I am unaware of similar products for Linux).

I have a friend of mine who's Windows laptop is really slowing down. He wants to buy a new laptop with Windows 7. I told him that he could probably get buy with his current laptop running Ubuntu. He and his wife are not into computers. They just want something that works well and is easy to use.

NilPointer
August 29th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I've completely switched to Ubuntu Linux in 2010, and now it's 13 months. I still have dualboot, but i didn't booted into Windows for months and don't want to.

Windows-life was like a nightmare... On my last month under Windows, I had to reinstall it three times due to viruses. What a inconvenient OS.

skywatcher
August 29th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I moved to Ubuntu in 2006 with 6.06 LTS (Dapper Drake). It is my OS of choice -- in fact, Windows gives me a bad taste in the mouth. Unfortunately, I am sometimes forced to use Windows in my work, e.g. for IDE software that runs on Windows only. Apart from that, I use Ubuntu for everything else, from electronics CAD (gEDA, PCB) to technical computing (Octave, Python, MATLAB) to preparing documentation (LaTeX, Scribus, Inkscape, GIMP etc.).

Of course, I also find Linux Mint fun to use, but then again, it is based on Ubuntu.

rmcellig
August 29th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks for your comments!! My friend is a writer and would need to have access to writing tools specifically for writers. Are there any available for Linux? I need to know this so that I can build a case for Linux so that I can save him some money as well as getting into an OS that has a lot to offer.

BTW, I am just installing Ping-EEE OS on my laptop to give it a try. I currently have Ubuntu 11.04 running.

rickyrockrat
August 30th, 2011, 03:13 AM
There's tons. Google 'linux writers tools'
A guy who's a writer on Linux:
http://www.writerstechnology.com/2008/10/moving-to-linux-tools-for-writers

<snip>

Last M$ OS I owned wast win2k - been on Linux since 2002, and I only buy hardware that runs on Linux - give preference to hardware vendors who say it runs under Linux.

kingtz
August 30th, 2011, 03:37 AM
I've been using Ubuntu/Linux for about a month now, and I absolutely love it. I have been using my Ubuntu boot increasingly, and now I almost exclusively use it, except for games. That's pretty much the only reason why I haven't completely switched over from win7. Also Netflix streaming, but to a much lesser extent.

rmcellig
August 30th, 2011, 10:18 AM
So far I really like Ping-EEE on my HP laptop.

Rickyrockrat you mention hardware that is Linux friendly. Can you be more specific or post link to a site that has Linux friendly hardware? Thanks so much!!!

girishadat
August 30th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Its so nice to hear that many of you migrated completely to Ubuntu.

But I am still in dual boot. Because of the following.

1. Many sites - esp. banking sites depends on IE. - This cannot be solved.
2. I felt Ubuntu is not perfect in a few areas.
2.1 My fan is not working just after boot - http://lwn.net/Articles/244595/
2.2 Not very good @ capacitive touchpads that support multitouch
2.3 Unable to detect the battery
2.4 Cannot connect to some VPNs - E.g. there is no clean way that can take client.ovpn file of OpenVPN to connect to a corporate VPN server.
3. Some softwares - E.g. Nokia PC Suite / Similar ones from htc/motorolla are only for Windows. - This cannot be solved.

May be these can be problems applicable only for me/subset of ubuntu users.

But if anyone of you know the solutions, please let me know. :)

jonzen
August 30th, 2011, 11:43 PM
LINUX is the only functioning opsys I have ever used. I have used SUSE, DEBIAN, CRUNCHBANG, PUPPY, MANDRIVA, and UBUNTU. UBUNTU is definitely the best! I do however have xp running as a guest os with vbox strictly for usenet. a good usenet client is the only software I have failed to find for LINUX. If one were available I would trash winblows completely forever!

timlev
August 31st, 2011, 12:25 AM
My personal computer is 100% linux, but I have to use Windows at work. I really enjoyed FreedroidRPG, Urban Terror, and I have been surprised by the variety of free games available under linux. It also helps that I've learned to be content playing older games as my computer hardware could never handle anything proprietary made in the last 4 years.

christopher.wortman
August 31st, 2011, 03:20 AM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

Windows 7 is amazing I will never completely switch away from Windows, there are too many things and applications (free ones even) that I use way too much that Linux cannot offer me.

vpharry
August 31st, 2011, 03:08 PM
U may use wine or Playonlinux

Copper Bezel
August 31st, 2011, 03:33 PM
Its so nice to hear that many of you migrated completely to Ubuntu.

But I am still in dual boot. Because of the following.

1. Many sites - esp. banking sites depends on IE. - This cannot be solved.
2. I felt Ubuntu is not perfect in a few areas.
2.1 My fan is not working just after boot - http://lwn.net/Articles/244595/
2.2 Not very good @ capacitive touchpads that support multitouch
2.3 Unable to detect the battery
2.4 Cannot connect to some VPNs - E.g. there is no clean way that can take client.ovpn file of OpenVPN to connect to a corporate VPN server.
3. Some softwares - E.g. Nokia PC Suite / Similar ones from htc/motorolla are only for Windows. - This cannot be solved.

May be these can be problems applicable only for me/subset of ubuntu users.

But if anyone of you know the solutions, please let me know. :)

Some of those are hardware support issues that probably can't be easily solved. The fan control and the touchpad, especially; it's unusual to have problems with them, because so much of that stuff happens at kernel level, but workarounds are hard to come by.

2.3 might be solvable with some Googling. 1 is easy - just use Firefox and change your user agent (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/).

ChrisOfBristol
August 31st, 2011, 05:30 PM
Yes

al1x
August 31st, 2011, 08:22 PM
I'am using ubuntu for every possible job with a computer except games.So I have a dual boot system with win and linux.

jfed
September 1st, 2011, 01:03 AM
I feel the same way as your first post (way back like 8,000 posts ago)

I use only Linux, Linux everywhere. Every computer in my house, my entire family runs Linux.

Yet, just like you, I like to PC game as well, thats the only reason I have Windows, and the only thing I do with it. I can't even stand web browsing on it, I don't have any programs installed besides Steam, (my games obviously) and Chrome, haha.

Chimes
September 1st, 2011, 02:11 AM
You know, okay, maybe if this answers the question (like this thread doesn't have enough posts :p) for me, is that:

I always have a dual boot, because there are some things for which you know, propriety deals with Microsoft or general apathy mean no linux support. So I keep a partition of windows around for that. The Windows partition size used to be steadily 16-24 GB. I generally re-install windows and ubuntu once every year (windows because it aggregates sludge, and ubuntu because I like to upgrade distributions often, and have had problems with dist-upgrade before.) I'm going to install Windows 7 soon. When I do that, I'm going to give the partition 25 GB of space to accommodate.

But.

Just because I have windows doesn't mean I use it often, and I think this is the case for most with dual-boot. It used to be that I could be similarly efficient with windows or linux. But if the command line used to be something I was comfortable with for organizing my files, doing multiple operations at once or calling programs, now it's second language (I'm spoiled). And ever since I started using a light Windows Manager (it happens to be e17, but could be anything), being selective with what packages I keep around, and assigning custom keyboard shortcuts, everything is so much faster. And I don't just mean processor speed and RAM. My workflow is just so much streamlined because I'm able to customize my window environment and programs so completely (and easily too).

It's possible I could fix up Windows 7 on keyboard shortcuts, I could tweak and tweak and tweak and it would take hours, but it could never be as fast and light, bare and flexible as where I'm at. With linux, I am capable of getting exactly, and only what I need. That just isn't possible with Windows. Hold on, to deflect any unfair accusations of fanboy bias: I have to say, Windows 7 is a huge improvement from XP. Next time I install Windows (after ten years of XP, given the awfulness of Vista, and my hesitations with 7, XP is really starting to show its age.) it will definitely be 7. And its faster, and easier to use, it has narrowed the gap slightly.

It has new problems, and some of the old problems (I could elaborate). But summary: it's a major improvement. Now here's my point. XP has been broken on my computer for five months. I wiped the partition, planning to replace it with Windows 7 as soon as I needed to (say, I needed to use particular software). And I still haven't gotten around to it. Like, the two times I have needed windows (say, to make sure a .DOC turns up well on windows before e-mailing it) I just borrowed a colleague's computer.

So with even all the improvements Windows 7 has. Like, it still is so many miles in work efficiency from where I am on linux that it's hardly worth the six hours to go out, buy it, sit down and install it.

I remember back, six or seven years ago, I would use linux sometimes, then windows.

Now I've gotten so hxc about productivity, and I've realized that after a certain threshold, linux can be made so much better for productivity than windows (when it comes to desktop issues; when it comes to online things, as a recent XKCD strip noted, OS has become largely irrelevant. Okay, exception: because my system is so much lighter (and this part is only possible because of the customization I've used, it probably wouldn't show up with the default gnome applications), web applications run way faster with the low-range dual-core processor I have).

Windows can be used very productively for desktop tasks, of course, with care and effort and quite a bit of program finding and setup time. But with linux now I don't have to be careful and make an effort; I can just be efficient all the time with my files, my programs, my offline workflow, without even trying.

Thank god for linux. Thank god for freedom of data, programs, and ideas. And thank god for a computer and desktop I can use the way I want. :KS

ClientAlive
September 3rd, 2011, 06:14 AM
You can't "completely" switch to Linux. Those evil ######## see to that!

rmcellig
September 3rd, 2011, 10:33 AM
Well said!

WinuxUser
September 3rd, 2011, 01:45 PM
Its been couple of weeks since i have installed ubuntu 11.04 in my laptop using wubi and i seem to enjoy my ubuntu...new OS and new looks....but also, due to lack of knowledge over the terminals, i think i got milestones ahead of me regarding ubuntu and its basics....but still, i have a dual boot

el_koraco
September 3rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Its been couple of weeks since i have installed ubuntu 11.04 in my laptop using wubi and i seem to enjoy my ubuntu...new OS and new looks....but also, due to lack of knowledge over the terminals, i think i got milestones ahead of me regarding ubuntu and its basics....but still, i have a dual boot

Don't worry and don't try to force it, take stuff a step at a time. In a couple of months you'll be navigating the command line and the system just fine.

doobrie
September 3rd, 2011, 02:46 PM
I dual boot my computer to Windows 7 and Ubuntu (11.04 at present)

I use Ubuntu for software development as I find that the development tools are better under Linux than under Windows, but I like to use Windows for "home" stuff such as viewing Videos and photos etc.

I've been using Linux for a long time (over 10 years) - I first started off with Slackware on floppy disks !!

peyre
September 3rd, 2011, 03:28 PM

Yeah, don't fret over the command line. For most things that don't involve installing certain drivers and compiling programs from source, you just use the GUI. Compiling from source isn't nearly as common as it used to be--now you use Synaptic or the Ubuntu Software Center for most everything, or can download a .deb instead (Debian/Ubuntu's equivalent of setup.exe). And when you have to do something advanced like install a proprietary video driver, they provide instructions. Sure it's no fun to install video drivers from the command line, but it's the exception not the rule. For most things, you can live and work in the GUI all the time. Life is good.

disabledaccount
September 3rd, 2011, 07:36 PM
I'm wondering why peoples do not understand the topic of this thread...
It means: How many of You completely switched to linux, not "How many of You tried linux and can't completely switch to.
ehh...

Copper Bezel
September 3rd, 2011, 07:50 PM
Yes, and many people are posting to say, "I haven't."

And frankly, I don't know; surfing is using a mix of Windows and Linux servers, so you can only really only ever switch away from OSX "completely." = )

WinuxUser
September 5th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Don't worry and don't try to force it, take stuff a step at a time. In a couple of months you'll be navigating the command line and the system just fine.

I Hope so.....thank you for your advice....:P

WinuxUser
September 5th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Yeah, don't fret over the command line. For most things that don't involve installing certain drivers and compiling programs from source, you just use the GUI. Compiling from source isn't nearly as common as it used to be--now you use Synaptic or the Ubuntu Software Center for most everything, or can download a .deb instead (Debian/Ubuntu's equivalent of setup.exe). And when you have to do something advanced like install a proprietary video driver, they provide instructions. Sure it's no fun to install video drivers from the command line, but it's the exception not the rule. For most things, you can live and work in the GUI all the time. Life is good.

Performing a dual boot right now at the stage of a noob is being enjoyable....i hope i can cope up with terminal soon....and then, i might proudly say i have completely switched to linux....:P

Thanks for your view.....
Regards, NeptuneTech

nativehound
September 5th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I completely switched to Linux when Vista RC1 came out back in 2006. Was duel booting SUSE and Knoppix before the switch. Forgot everything I knew about windows, like it was a bad dream :D

S74TX9B1
September 5th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Started using ubuntu a few years ago, use it for day to day computing. Although the xp machine is still there for those games..

rmcellig
September 5th, 2011, 10:18 AM
One reason I haven't totally switched is because I haven't found an easy to use sound editor. I tried Audacity but it is still not as user friendly as the one I use on the Mac (Sound Studio and Amadeus). There must be other Sondheim editors I can use for Ubuntu that are simple to use?

webdog
September 5th, 2011, 03:25 PM
One reason I haven't totally switched is because I haven't found an easy to use sound editor. I tried Audacity but it is still not as user friendly as the one I use on the Mac (Sound Studio and Amadeus). There must be other Sondheim editors I can use for Ubuntu that are simple to use?
Have KNOPPIX on a 16GB stick and it works great.
Have Ubuntu 11.04 on my Desktop exclusively, Ubuntu side-by-side with WIN 7 on a laptop and it works great and Ubuntu side-by-side with WIN Vista on a Dell Desktop but can't find WIN Vista. Still working on this problem. Any ideas??

Gary Schulz

quarternote
September 5th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I'd like to use Linux for everything, but it's not possible yet.
I enjoy playing new pc games like Battlefield 3 when it's out.
I also need Windows for my music hobby, because here is no real support for virtual instruments like Omnishpere or East West.

It would be nice if Linux could gain enough marketshare to be relevant for developers to support it.

corexeon
September 6th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I switched over last night, i really like ubuntu tho only thing I will miss is photoshop

AliPM
September 6th, 2011, 11:32 PM
I would like to use Ubuntu all the time, but I just find it to be riddled with problems. It's ok on my desktop (although Firefox hangs a lot for no apparent reason), but on my netbook I have had endless problems getting the video to work. Recently tried to upgrade to 10.10 and it crashed halfway through, and I'm now struggling to reinstall anything and get it to work.

I'm not tech enough to understand the problems, and although this forum is useful, it really is difficult for a newcomer to make any sense of the jargon. I've been a noob for 18 months now, and I feel like I know less than when I started.

I'm really not a fan of Windows but Ubuntu simply isn't for the layman.

TrasMontano
September 7th, 2011, 12:43 AM
I experienced Ubuntu in 2006 (Through a ship it cd that a friend gave me).

I only took Linux bases OS serious after 2008, using Ubuntu as a secundary OS.

Today, i only use Ubuntu.

Thank you shipit and Ubuntu.

rmcellig
September 7th, 2011, 01:29 AM
I had something interesting happen today. My friend gave me her Windows 7 HP laptop today. She just bought it last year. The reason I got it was because she was so fed up with Windows 7 she couldn't take it anymore. Although not there yet when it comes to Linux, she still loves her iMac.

When I received her laptop, I thought I might want to keep Windows 7 just in case I needed it. That lasted for all of eight minutes. I put two distros of Linux on it. Works fine and is very fast. :-)

WinuxUser
September 7th, 2011, 01:51 AM
I had something interesting happen today. My friend gave me her Windows 7 HP laptop today. :-)

I wish i had a friend like that....;)...still going on with a dual boot with my old inspiron 1440:(

rmcellig
September 7th, 2011, 02:37 AM
She also gave me two of her old Dell desktop computers circa 2000-2003. I was about to get rid of them when I realized that Linux would fit well with both units. They work fine now after all these Years.

acidlit3
September 7th, 2011, 04:11 AM
total linux here.,, thank the laptop gods for ubuntu , for some reason my lenovo R60 wont run on windows(smart machine in my mind) spent lots of time and money replacing this and that , still no fix for running XP.. installed ubuntu and no problems at all........... :)

sammiev
September 7th, 2011, 04:16 AM
I believe I'm using the best of both worlds. I use the latest Ubuntu release or Alpha/Beta releases and Win7, but 11.10 is my main OS at this point. :)

owlkohaulic
September 7th, 2011, 07:10 AM
i made the switch this year, after 10 years of Windows.
sure is nice.

KBD47
September 7th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Out of our three computers now only one has Windows on it and I'd be happy to be rid of Windows on it except for those rare occurrences when I still need M$.
KBD47

snip3r8
September 9th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Windows is still there,but it scares me when i boot it

netbook_helper
September 9th, 2011, 03:20 PM
As a gamer. Ikeep another Windows laptop, but I go fully Ubuntu ! :guitar:

jonathonblake
September 9th, 2011, 06:38 PM
might want to keep Windows 7 just in case I needed it. That lasted for all of eight minutes.

That must be how long it took for your BSOD to appear.

jonathon

jonathonblake
September 9th, 2011, 06:44 PM
for some reason my lenovo R60 wont run on windows

I used to have a Dell desktop that point blank refused to run either MS-DOS or Windows, but was quite happy to run either Linux or DrDos.

jonathon

gurudev1000
September 10th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Windows 7 isn't perfect... but I prefer Windows anyday (so far) over Ubuntu for multimedia. Games not being available is just an excuse. Mac users also don't have as much access to games but Mac users can stand with heads held high in a group of computer users. I wouldn't do so as an Ubuntu or Windows user.

Once in a while I get tempted (like now) to log into Ubuntu when I realise the net browsing experience is Windows is not great. Ubuntu is almost flawless in web browsing. For EVERYTHING ELSE.. Windows Seven!!!

I'm not a basic user.. neither am I a coder. Hours WASTED online trying to find a way of getting drivers that will get the best out of your video and audio hardware, with no sucess. I have a friend who loves Ubuntu.. but then, her husband is in IT who configured the whole damn laptop for her.

(copy pasted from my answer on another thread about what Windws can do that Ubntu can't)

slow5
September 10th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I still rely on my Mac as my primary computer, but have been using Linux more and more. Any new new computers I get will most likely end up running Linux. It has been 4 or 5 years since I have owned a windows pc and the only reason I even still use them is when I'm fixing them for someone.

rmcellig
September 10th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Hi slow5,

I m still using my iMac as my main computer even though I find myself spending about 80% in Ubuntu on my iMac as well as my two laptops which both have Ubuntu on them. There is something about linux that i really like that i don't seem to get in windows7 and osx lion or snow leopard. I can't seem to put my finger on it. :)

JonM33
September 11th, 2011, 01:22 AM
That must be how long it took for your BSOD to appear.

jonathon

Haven't had a BSOD in years. Last I had was with Windows Vista and it was on a motherboard that used a nVIDIA chipset.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/27/nvidia-drivers-responsible-for-nearly-30-of-vista-crashes-in-20/

iraiam
September 11th, 2011, 04:08 AM
I have been trying for a couple years, but I still need windows for some applications that just won't run under Wine. My main notebook and desktop are both dual boot. I need some software such as RSLogix, SXprogrammer. I'm still using Windows XP, found no good reason to go to Windows 7 yet.

I do have 2 workstations that are 100% Ubuntu Linux. :)

pretty_whistle
September 11th, 2011, 04:46 AM
I'm new here.

I completely switched to Linux about a week and a half ago. Darn glad too.

I was using Windows 7.

:D Thank God for Linux.

Alwimo
September 12th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Haven't had a BSOD in years. Last I had was with Windows Vista and it was on a motherboard that used a nVIDIA chipset.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/27/nvidia-drivers-responsible-for-nearly-30-of-vista-crashes-in-20/
The last time I got a BSOD was the very day I bought Windows 7, a day or two after it was released. It happened three or four times within an hour and was solved after setting up the default programs but that might be a coincidence.

I got a kernel panic once with linux 3.0.

Nisal
September 12th, 2011, 09:05 AM
No windows from years , :)

chegarty
September 12th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I've fairly close to switching completely. I have a Windows 7 partition that I log into monthly to kick the tires. I've noticed that each time I log into Windows it annoys me more and more.

nightshadowfx
September 12th, 2011, 06:09 PM
I switched over to linux about a month ago because the netbook I have gave me the bsod AND decided it wanted to give it's self a bios password. well once I got the bios problem fixed I could only find one restore disk out of two (stupid acer aspire one) so I decided to give linux another go after playing with it in tech school I played with suse and slackerware but I love ubuntu by far for what i can do on it.

The Cog
September 12th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I've fairly close to switching completely. I have a Windows 7 partition that I log into monthly to kick the tires. I've noticed that each time I log into Windows it annoys me more and more.
That only gets worse as time goes by.

Gremlinzzz
September 12th, 2011, 10:17 PM
That question is getting a little old,it's like the never ending question.
I switched back to windows then back to Linux then back to windows then back to Linux:popcorn:
answer to be continued.

baruch60610
September 12th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Well, just to add my $0.02 worth:

I switched totally to Linux some years ago. I *do* have one laptop - a Toshiba - that has Windows on it, but that's because I couldn't get Linux to work on it. However, that laptop sits in a drawer, unused.

There isn't anything out there that I want, that requires Windows. I admit that there are some things that work better with Windows, but the difference isn't enough to make me keep using it.

But you know, one size doesn't fit all. For some people, Windows is a good choice. To me the important thing is that we've got choices, not that there is a one-and-only operating system.

KaitlinM
September 16th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Linux all the way, except I haven't installed it to my two netbooks yet. :) I hardly use them anyway.

Indecline
September 16th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Absolutely.

I was sick of running Vista, and loved the concept of a OS backed by an open source, user-based community.. Still fairly new, but I dove right in. For my needs as a student, Ubuntu has been more than sufficient, and is the only OS I boot.

StrongMocha
September 16th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I really want to like Linux. I have just bought a new PC and thought I would give it a try. I have been using it for a few days now and I'm still lost with it.

I like the lightness of it, although Ubuntu has a steep learning curve which I feel like I will never manage to achieve it is cleaner than Windows and is of course free.

I don't like the fact I can't get any of the Steam games (Civilization V and Call of Juarez:Bound in Blood) I have tried to work on wine, none of them I have managed to work properly. I also can't seem to find my CD drive which is annoying.

GreenEU
September 16th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I am trying hard to keep to Linux. However, there are one or two Windows programmes I need to run and so I'm struggling to find a virtual means of doing that within Linux.

on top of that, I keep hitting brick walls that seem to take days to find any answer to - and then a lot of hard work.

But I think I'll get through that eventually. :)

jasonrisenburg
September 16th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I have one laptop ubunt one windows, and we have a media tower windows. the tower is beause my wife is not a big windows fan, the lappy is because I need my tablet to doodle, I ve been working on trying to get the .xorg to play but im working on it, ad fially the one that is glues to me is 11.10.

peyre
September 17th, 2011, 05:27 AM
I really want to like Linux. I have just bought a new PC and thought I would give it a try. I have been using it for a few days now and I'm still lost with it.

I like the lightness of it, although Ubuntu has a steep learning curve which I feel like I will never manage to achieve it is cleaner than Windows and is of course free.

I don't like the fact I can't get any of the Steam games (Civilization V and Call of Juarez:Bound in Blood) I have tried to work on wine, none of them I have managed to work properly. I also can't seem to find my CD drive which is annoying.

That's ok, it takes a while to learn. As you observed, there's a fairly steep learning curve to switching to Linux (as with most any other OS, for that matter). While many Linux distros, including Ubuntu, try to make it look and feel similar to Windows, behind the scenes it works a bit different, and anyone doing non-super-basic things will bump into those different ways of doing things from time to time.

If you can't find your optical drive, look for it in /media. It's likely to be something like /media/cdrom0.

Incidentally as a side note, one of those different ways of doing things is: in Windows, writing \media simply means that media is a folder--whereas in Linux, writing /media means that media isn't under any other folders. In other words, /media is an absolute path, whereas in Windows, \media is a relative path. \media could be right on the root of C: (C:\media), or it could be under something else (C:\Program Files\Media, or C:\MyStuff\Digital Stuff\media, etc.). So when I say to look at /media, you know it'll be at the top of your hierarchy, along with /home, /usr, /etc, etc.

GMU_DodgyHodgy
September 17th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Now that my company (IBM) has moved us to Lotus iNotes (I know I know we sell it to everyone else but took time for internal users) and full Lotus Live accounts - my work laptop is all Ubuntu Linux.

All of our collaboration software is hosted so runs in a browser. We have Lotus Symphony and Office 2003 installed.

Mirrors what I have at home - an Ubuntu 11.04 desktop, an IBM server running Ubuntu Server LTS as a file and print server.

My financial software is Jgnash, I use Banshee for all my media files and it syncs with my Motorola Droid X - ergo no need for an iPod.

Been 100% linux for about 6 years straight. Have never looked back!

Nath4n
September 19th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I've been a penguin since around SuSE 8 I beleive, and Ubuntu with the first distro.

No need for Windows, the more I learn the more I love Ubuntu. I was a noob, now I'm pretty adept at solving my own problems now.

I love the Linux Kernel.

HappinessNow
September 19th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I have been using Chrome OS exclusively since December 2010, before that multiple Linux distros as well as BSD and Haiku since about 2000.

Nath4n
September 19th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I have been using Chrome OS exclusively since December 2010, before that multiple Linux distros as well as BSD and Haiku since about 2000.
Man, I just am very wary of google products.

Google knows everything. I don't trust them running my desktop.

I hear it's a good os though.

Lugar
September 20th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Been running Linux only for almost a year now. Never going back!

ninjaaron
September 20th, 2011, 12:47 AM
The last time I booted Windows was a bit less than a year ago, and that was to make sure the new machine worked before I erased it.

It worked. I erased it. Hasn't worked since.

:P

aschmidtm
September 25th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Gave up Windows along time ago... Windows 8 push for keyboard shortcuts sounds nice though.

I have been using everything but Windows (except @ work) for the last 12 years.

OS X
PC/FreeBSD
Ubuntu
SuSE

Pujims
September 25th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I admit I have only one Linux box, 2 winXP and a windows 7 (which I dislike greatly) I am still learning Linux. I had ubuntu 10.04 but went to 11.04 a couple weeks ago and was surprized the desktop was different....learning some more. slow but steady

FerroPower
September 26th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I have switched over to ubuntu 2 months back because my Dell machine couldn't boot into vista after some S%#!!@ update from windows. I tried many ways to get it working but that annoying blue screen stuck there. I couldn't even restore my earlier settings because the updates wiped my earlier restore img. many suggested me to format the Laptop.
but then an idea struck me I had ubuntu 8.10 live CD which came free with some PC magazine. I tried booting into it. I could see all my window files in it also I was able to back up my important Data. THANKS to ubuntu !! and also to makers of Live version of Linux.

Eversince that I had reformatted my disk 3 partitions. in which major chunk of partition goes to Kubuntu. second goes to common media files which can be shared by both OS. and third partition is Windows 7.
I have learned alot about Linux in the last two months. I love it !! it rocks !! the only regret is I have to go boot into windows to listen songs as the Sound Quality is awesome in windows compare to any linux flavour(I tried Fedora,Mandriva,openSUSE,etc., they all sound same:( ).

sn0m
September 26th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I only use windows to manage music in my philips streamium.

sanderd17
September 26th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I never booted Windows on this computer (it even came without windows installed) and on my previous computer, I hadn't booted windows since summer 2009 I believe.

In our home, we don't have any bootable windows (not even a VM) for almost a year.

nightshadowfx
September 27th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I had windows on my netbook. lol what a joke. I know use ubuntu 11.04 on it and I do not regret the decision to change. I even got one of my friends to start using it on his laptop but still has windows because there are some things still I haven't been able to get to work on it using wine. I wish my wife would think about it but she insists on windows on her desktop. (i don't blame her. she knows very little about the thing.) when I build a new desktop and buy a new laptop this is all they are going to run is linux.

linux203
September 27th, 2011, 10:56 PM
I've been using linux for servers and second workstations since 2000. Started with Mandrake 7.2. Switched to United Linux, then SuSE Linux after Novell's acquisition.

In 2008, I started migrating everything to Ubuntu. (Only have two SuSE systems left for application reasons.) That is also when I switched Windows to be my secondary OS. Ubuntu has been my primary OS with Windows running virtually only when wine doesn't work. I don't play video games, so it hasn't caused issues for me.

If only the wife didn't play The Sims....... :o

lonewolfandcub
September 28th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I'm not much of a gamer, although I did try Mupen64 as I am a Nintendo fan of old, especially the Zelda series and Golden Eye. Had so much trouble getting it to work I just left it on my Windows XP. What I do like on my computer is electric guitar effect syth. programs. I know of at least one in the archives in the ''download'' section under Applications. Again, couldn't get it to work, it was having issues with the jack. So I went back to my XP, downloaded the free demo of Revalver MKIII.five from Peavey, then downloaded the Asio4all plugin, installed it, then Revalver and wailed away on my Strat until I was deaf. Don't get me wrong, I love Ubuntu/Linux. It has saved my butt for a long time as I had been given old PII back in 2004-2005. Windows was bogging the thing down so badly it was just an irritant more than anything else. In addition, I needed to reformat the HD. Seeing as I had no Windows CD, I couldn't do much. That's when a relation of mine lent me a Ubuntu 6.1 CD. I found it a bit niggly at first, but came to like it. It was lightweight and ran well on my computasaurus. So I looked into what Ubuntu was all about, discovered the free downloads for the 9.1 distro, burned the ISO, and never looked back since. I just finished loading the latest Distro, 11. something or other, can't wait to give it a try on an older box I was given(PIV, 2.4gHz). As for completely giving up on Windows... one day maybe, but for now it's the the only one that runs my stupid printer(HP 7660) and I haven't found a program yet for my Lightscribe burner.

jeju20
September 28th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Completely to Linux?
hmm.. I can't yet but planning to install ubuntu on all my other computers.

Don Martin
September 28th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I completely switched to Linux in January and after a month or so everything I use was working fine.

CharlesHaylock
September 29th, 2011, 05:54 AM
I am slowly switching to Ubuntu as my main OS :D Its nice to learn how to do things in Ubuntu, and I feel very secure while using it!

Belgoroth
September 29th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Trying to switch from windows to linux, sadly I see libre messes up my docx files making windows needed, also need windows to enable my 3g for my laptop which ends up meaning log onto windows for videos, documents and chestmaster linux so far is for net and mails...

katzerisko
September 29th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I had to think about it, and when the answer came, it was a surprise... Can't believe it has been two years since I eased Windows... and I've survived! ;)

Since I can run emulators, listen to music, play here and there and learn new things, I had no reason at all to use Windows, so I didn't keep it... But my main reason was the "political side" of the thing: If I don't agree with a policy, why should I use a product that forces me to agree with it and the philosophy behind it? And after those two years I find it simply too hard to get back to that mindset of "yeah, the only thing I want is something that works now, nevermind about tomorrow, nevermind about privacy issues"

aura7
September 29th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I am currently using dual boot with windows but most of the time I spend on linux, I switch to windows to do certain tasks like play games, run a software for which alternative is not available on linux etc...

I am trying to completely switch over to Ubuntu... over a period of next few years.

HappinessNow
September 30th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Man, I just am very wary of google products.

Google knows everything. I don't trust them running my desktop.

I hear it's a good os though.

Honestly I don't think you have anything Google wants unless you own Hulu. ;-)

viddect
October 1st, 2011, 12:59 AM
i have one box to play windows games.... sorry. but i have switched everything else at home and work to ubuntu LTS releases.

makitso
October 2nd, 2011, 02:42 PM
My desktop system is 100% ubuntu 11.04. However, my three laptops are all dual boot win7/ubuntu. Sadly, laptop support is not that good, e.g. power problems, wifi, suspend/resume, etc.

Cyjan
October 2nd, 2011, 04:35 PM
i switched from atari to ubuntu!

sammiev
October 2nd, 2011, 07:53 PM
My desktop system is 100% ubuntu 11.04. However, my three laptops are all dual boot win7/ubuntu. Sadly, laptop support is not that good, e.g. power problems, wifi, suspend/resume, etc.

I really must of lucked out with my laptops as they work 100% with Ubuntu. :)

galacticaboy
October 2nd, 2011, 07:57 PM
I have, I do not use Windows, MAC or any other OS, just Ubuntu.

Thewhistlingwind
October 2nd, 2011, 08:08 PM
I essentially have at this point.

I'm sure I'll need windows again though.

viperdvman
October 3rd, 2011, 12:04 AM
Well, I haven't completely switched over to Ubuntu on either of my two computers (I dual-boot alongside Windows), but I do have an older desktop running a Socket A motherboard that I could install Ubuntu on... it just needs a hard drive.

In addition, I've thought about grabbing a cheap laptop or netbook for installing Ubuntu exclusively on. So yeah, I'd love to have a 100% Ubuntu computer, but on both my mobile and desktop comps, I still have some use for Windows.

Wanting to completely switch, yes. Completely switched, no.

sammiev
October 3rd, 2011, 01:16 AM
i have, i do not use windows, mac or any other os, just ubuntu.

8)

gyyug78fg87ogguiioioioioi
October 3rd, 2011, 02:22 AM
using only ubuntu since february 2011

jimmygotlucky88
October 3rd, 2011, 05:20 AM
I only use windows for video editing right now cause I haven't had the time to explore a linux replacement. I hate windows... ...always updating and having to restart the computer a dozen times makes me nauseous..!!!

gewitty
October 3rd, 2011, 09:36 AM
I stopped using Windows some four years ago and switched three machines to Ubuntu/Gnome. Six months ago, I discovered OpenSUSE/KDE and have been using that on my main machine ever since.

For situations where I absolutely must use a Windows app, I run XP in VirtualBox, which works just fine.

I also just found a rather useful app for when I'm travelling. It's called Potable Apps (www.portableapps.com). It allows you to take all your open source apps, passwords, files etc., stored on a memory stick. All you need to do is find a handy PC somewhere and plug the stick in. The apps all appear in a menu and you can work away, regardless of the OS on the host machine. When you're done, just unplug the stick and move on without leaving a trace that you were ever there. It works a lot faster than the alternative of carrying a full Linux OS around as a live USB stick or disk.

tumutanzi.com
October 3rd, 2011, 02:48 PM
I use Linux at home, but in my office, I have to use Windows which is not determined by myself.

For daily use, I think Ubuntu is enough, and I never play games, so I love Ubuntu very much.

How about you guys? share your opinion with us.

mamamia88
October 3rd, 2011, 04:01 PM
Assuming I graduate in December and I don't build a gaming rig anytime soon I'm done with windows. I need it right now for a finance class and using excel to do lots of ratios and graphs. I just find it easier to use

intranick
October 3rd, 2011, 08:11 PM
I had almost all computers running linux, tho I had a windows hard drive on one computer (tho ran Linux mainly) up until last night, when i took it offline

i am now officially windows and microsoft free

bobski60
October 3rd, 2011, 08:16 PM
I sort of had no choice in the matter as the boot loader was wiped and I could not be bothered to change it, stayed with Ubuntu and never looked back. I only want windows to do a sync with my Windows Mobile palm, but for some unknown reason cannot even do that with Virtualbox and winXP on it lol it does not see the mobile even with autosync. ney mind Happy with Ubuntu Natty.

MindSz
October 3rd, 2011, 10:07 PM
I was about 75% Ubuntu, 25% Windows and then the Windows died. I never looked back :D

firefox834
October 4th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I only use Ubuntu for browsing..most media work, ie burning cd's and videos I use windows 7. Also I cant get my CCTV USB-DVR to work on Ubuntu. Network printing is dodgy too

JoshuaMiller0
October 4th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I did. Windows deleted. Hard Drive deleted. New start.
Pure
Awesomeness.

miimnon
October 5th, 2011, 03:28 AM
I did too. A long time ago.

Torisuna
October 5th, 2011, 04:04 AM
I still use windows on a very limited basic, but I have been using Ubuntu for the last 6 months. I only keep windows around for the little lady :lolflag:

Gizmo69
October 5th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Yes!, for 3 years now. uh, almost without windows.

Almost, I use VMware player :D to run Garmin software Mapsource, that only runs on Windows...:( And at work i have no choice ...:(

Ubuntu works fine for me! :D

Calamita
October 5th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I'm thinking of doing this for work. I'm an IT technician, mainly Windows server support (some desktop). We have a guy in our office that uses a MacBook Pro and everyone else is on Windows. I can't afford a MacBook and would like to see if I can stick to Ubuntu.

We have a TS, so for any applications that I can't get to work, I can jump on the TS. I will need dual monitors though! Using a Dell dock. It didn't work on my Dell XPS but I've got a new work laptop :P

Think I'll give this a go tomorrow and see how I get on.

Anyone else use it for IT work? The only thing I think I'll miss is mRemote, but I think I've found an alternative!

I'll let you know how I get on!

Copper Bezel
October 5th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Yes!, for 3 years now. uh, almost without windows.
Huh, you just reminded me - my last Windows install died two weeks before 8.10's release, so I just broke three years as well.

Of course, for about half of that, I had an XP VM or Wine installed for little things, too.

GypD
October 6th, 2011, 05:52 AM
I completely refuse to go back to Windows, after all the trouble I had with them(lost count of the breakdowns bluescreens etc i.ve been a Linux Ubuntu user for over a year now and am really enjoying the learning experience" you can actually find help with any prob you may have with the OS" unlike windows, but whatever happens I'm a Linux lifer

Atamisk
October 6th, 2011, 06:03 AM
I still have windows around, but i only boot into it from time to time to make sure things still work. The only reason i still have it around is because Wine doesn't have USB Support. You see, my other hobby is cars, and the flash tuner for my car uses proprietary, Windows-only software. Even the DRIVER is proprietary, and installed by the Windows installer. so, I'm stuck with this vestigial windows install for ONE thing until SCT decides to port it or Wine adds USB support.

</OT>

That aside, yes, i've been linux only since about may of last year.

BBQdave
October 6th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Debian6 on notebook, my main machine for work and play!:D

Though I still have an old eMac G4 that I use as a file and print server.

Dy1anW
October 6th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I've been Windows free for about a week now, thanks mostly to Windows 7 SP1 (and a glitch where I lost everything on my hard disk). I've had Ubuntu on my laptop for years, but held off installing it on my desktop since I needed to use AutoCAD, and that just doesn't work very well in Wine, and iirc I couldn't get Win7 x64 to run properly in VB. No matter what though, I just can't go back to a full deployment of Windows.

ergo-proxy
October 6th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I still have windows around, but i only boot into it from time to time to make sure things still work. The only reason i still have it around is because Wine doesn't have USB Support. You see, my other hobby is cars, and the flash tuner for my car uses proprietary, Windows-only software. Even the DRIVER is proprietary, and installed by the Windows installer. so, I'm stuck with this vestigial windows install for ONE thing until SCT decides to port it or Wine adds USB support.

</OT>

That aside, yes, i've been linux only since about may of last year.

You can always use virtualbox in ubuntu, much easier the rebooting :)

ergo-proxy
October 6th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Swtiched completly to Ubunty about a year ago and I'm very happy with it:)

The Prof
October 6th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Once I tried to keep Windows and Linux on the same PC, but it doesn't work. So I installed Linux Ubuntu 7.xx alone and things went better. The two or three Windows programs I needed, worked great with WINE. Then the PC broke and I decided to get a Mac Mini, which BTW has outstanding performance.

A few months ago I purchased an Acer netbook with Windows 7 Starter preinstalled. It lasted less than one month!
Then he did not start any more. Fortunately there were no important data on it, so I installed Ubuntu 11.04 and the netbook resurrected :-)

My daughter uses a Windows Vista laptop I got in 2007. Now she wants Ubuntu, but I think it is too obsolete hardware, isn't it?

When my Mac will break I'll get, for the same money, a PC 16Gb RAM, 2Tb HD etc and I'll install Ubuntu xx.xx

:-)

Greetings from Italia!

Atamisk
October 6th, 2011, 02:42 PM
You can always use virtualbox in ubuntu, much easier the rebooting :)

I'm going to try that. I've just caught the Virtualbox bug when i figured out i could use a VM to install Ubuntu on my external HDD natively. It worked very well! How cool is that?

ergo-proxy
October 6th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I'm going to try that. I've just caught the Virtualbox bug when i figured out i could use a VM to install Ubuntu on my external HDD natively. It worked very well! How cool is that?

It works really well especially that one of virtualbox features is recognizing/passing USB device to a guest system.

inĚterĚpunct
October 6th, 2011, 04:02 PM
My daughter uses a Windows Vista laptop I got in 2007. Now she wants Ubuntu, but I think it is too obsolete hardware, isn't it?

With a little dusting and a fresh install it will probably run like new. As for me, I still have Windows in a VM.

sanderd17
October 6th, 2011, 04:11 PM

The year doesn't say anything, but since Vista needs at least 1GB of RAM, Ubuntu will run very fine on it. You might not be able to run the full unity (if you have a not-so-good graphical card), but Unity 2D or Gnome2 or Gnome3 in fallback mode should all run very well.

peyre
October 7th, 2011, 03:53 AM

Shoot no! Mine is significantly older than that and runs it very well. However, I use Lubuntu on it, since it's more lightweight than regular Ubuntu.

wackawacka
October 7th, 2011, 05:26 AM
windows runs smoother in linux if you don't mind the flickering for things like netflix.

redheadguytpafl
October 7th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Hello,

I own a Recording Studio in Tampa Florida. In addition, I have been a computer tech for several years. My duties focus on building custom systems, repairs, data recovery among others. Although I am not in anyway experienced or enjoy programming to any extent.

After building the Main Studio System ASUS Board. AMD Phenom ll 6 core CPU, 10 GB DDR3 Ram, 6 HDD w/ 3 RAID arrays, I had the awful experience of using Windows 7. After several months of total frustration and slow speed, limited control and sloppy performance, I switched to Windows XP 64. An improvement but still lack-lustre. I tried using Linux Studio 64. I had used Ubuntu and Linux briefly in the past and was introduced to it by my employer at the time that used it for computers that customer's used. But soundcards were an issue back then. The Linux Studio 64 or Ubuntu Studio 64 I could not get to load. Finally I installed Ubuntu 11.04 and ran it as a "live cd"

To my AMAZEMENT, everything worked at start-up. Delta 24/96 Soundcard,, Ethernet, Belkin wireless adaptor, printers, EVERYTHING. I had been using "AUDACITY" prior in my Windows O.S. But when I played the first music through the system with UBUNTU 11.04 I was truly in awe!! The card performed better than I had ever heard in the 8 years of working in my digital studio. Still I do not have total control of the card. Same with the Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium in the second studio computer. Even with that I am still able to record through Audacity at the 96,000/24 Bit resolution that is the new industry standard. THE SPEED and FUNCTIONALITY ARE SUPERB!!!! Both with The Internet and The computer as a whole! Start-up and shutdown takes mere seconds. Unlike Windows and Apple. And no drivers to install!! That is what takes so much time when loading an O.S.for a system in the past.

A year and a half later I have played with it alot and have gotten to know the many programs and other pleasures of using UBUNTU 11.04. In fact, I now have been telling my computer customers about how superior LINUX and UBUNTU are to the Microsoft disasters and expense they all complain about. Some people have a real hard time in the beginning getting to know the layout and how to do certain things and some just can't seem to get past the change and familiarity of Windows. But most are very happy that I introduced them to The Sourceforge Community.

I always leave a customers existing Windows install intact and Install the Ubuntu side by side. So they always have both and Windows to fall back on if the choose. But most choose to stay and after a month The Windows partition is erased.
LINUX and UBUNTU are the future of computing!!

You Cannot go wrong with LINUX and UBUNTU!!

*Run as a Live CD and test it before you install it.
*No worries about Viruses and Malware.
*Faster and More Reliable.
*Easy to install and configure.
*Start-up and Shutdown takes SECONDS.
*Adobe Flash Player, Skype, Pandora and VLC Player support
*AND ITS ALL FREE!!!

Thomas Morey
Computer Tech.
Tampa Florida

redheadguytpafl
October 7th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Hello,

I own a Recording Studio in Tampa Florida. In addition, I have been a computer tech for several years. My duties focus on building custom systems, repairs, data recovery among others. Although I am not in anyway experienced or enjoy programming to any extent.

After building the Main Studio System ASUS Board. AMD Phenom ll 6 core CPU, 10 GB DDR3 Ram, 6 HDD w/ 3 RAID arrays, I had the awful experience of using Windows 7. After several months of total frustration and slow speed, limited control and sloppy performance, I switched to Windows XP 64. An improvement but still lack-lustre. I tried using Linux Studio 64. I had used Ubuntu and Linux briefly in the past and was introduced to it by my employer at the time that used it for computers that customer's used. But soundcards were an issue back then. The Linux Studio 64 or Ubuntu Studio 64 I could not get to load. Finally I installed Ubuntu 11.04 and ran it as a "live cd"

To my AMAZEMENT, everything worked at start-up. Delta 24/96 Soundcard,, Ethernet, Belkin wireless adaptor, printers, EVERYTHING. I had been using "AUDACITY" prior in my Windows O.S. But when I played the first music through the system with UBUNTU 11.04 I was truly in awe!! The card performed better than I had ever heard in the 8 years of working in my digital studio. Still I do not have total control of the card. Same with the Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium in the second studio computer. Even with that I am still able to record through Audacity at the 96,000/24 Bit resolution that is the new industry standard. THE SPEED and FUNCTIONALITY ARE SUPERB!!!! Both with The Internet and The computer as a whole! Start-up and shutdown takes mere seconds. Unlike Windows and Apple. And no drivers to install!! That is what takes so much time when loading an O.S.for a system in the past.

A year and a half later I have played with it alot and have gotten to know the many programs and other pleasures of using UBUNTU 11.04. In fact, I now have been telling my computer customers about how superior LINUX and UBUNTU are to the Microsoft disasters and expense they all complain about. Some people have a real hard time in the beginning getting to know the layout and how to do certain things and some just can't seem to get past the change and familiarity of Windows. But most are very happy that I introduced them to The Sourceforge Community.

I always leave a customers existing Windows install intact and Install the Ubuntu side by side. So they always have both and Windows to fall back on if the choose. But most choose to stay and after a month The Windows partition is erased.
LINUX and UBUNTU are the future of computing!!

You Cannot go wrong with LINUX and UBUNTU!!

*Run as a Live CD and test it before you install it.
*No worries about Viruses and Malware.
*Faster and More Reliable.
*Easy to install and configure.
*Start-up and Shutdown takes SECONDS.
*Adobe Flash Player, Skype, Pandora and VLC Player support
*AND ITS ALL FREE!!!

Thomas Morey
Computer Tech.
Tampa Florida

Digiloog
October 7th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I am only running Linux for 3 years now.
On our main computer it is Ubuntu 10.04. It is all we need.
There is also a somewhat older machine that is used as a mediacentre, also running Ubuntu and on my laptop I installed Debian, Ubuntu 11.04 and a new distro. The last one is whatever is new. At the moment it is Ubuntu 11.10 beta 2 (For the first time it is running bad).

I had to reinstall Windows to do something that made no sens to me. To upgrade the firmware for my Samsung Galaxy S, running Android (Linux!!) I have to use a program that only runs on Windows, how ironical. After three years I have to use Windows again to run a Linux OS.

netipot
October 7th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I used computers at the library to surf the web and the occasional word doc. Didn't care if it was Mac or Windows. In 2002 I was given an HP desktop with xp and was not prepared to be an "administrator". Three years later I got the blue screen of death. I was appalled by the service & support from HP and to a lesser extent microsoft. They wrangled $150 out of me and lost all my data. I get better treatment from a used car dealer. I was a noob. I looked around for something cheap and got a Zonbu mini for $200 and online backup for $9.95 a month. I no longer was the "administrator", zonbu was. I found no real differences in open office & word. Learned to use scribus, loved f-spot, could listen to music, make cd's, watch video, everything I was doing before. Zonbu answered all my noop questions promptly & patiently & then the end came, two years later no more Zonbu. I had a stupid little ebox. So I installed Ubuntu, hearty heron, and was amazed at how it ran on that tiny machine. Ubuntu taught me how to use a computer. I learned gimp. People think I am some kind of geek and ask me all kinds of things. I explain to them that I can't answer their questions about windows. I don't know windows. I don't think I ever knew windows.
I can, & have recovered there lost data however. Now please just let me install ubuntu for you.

.hfxdesign
October 7th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I removed my windows partition about a month ago after realizing video gaming isn't really much of a hobby to me anymore, thus the only thing I used Windows for was Adobe Photoshop CS5, which isn't compatible with wine, so I just made a dedicated VM for that.

netipot
October 7th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I used computers at the library to surf the web and the occasional word doc. Didn't care if it was Mac or Windows. In 2002 I was given an HP desktop with xp and was not prepared to be an "administrator". Three years later I got the blue screen of death. I was appalled by the service & support from HP and to a lesser extent microsoft. They wrangled $150 out of me and lost all my data. I get better treatment from a used car dealer. I was a noob. I looked around for something cheap and got a Zonbu mini for $200 and online backup for $9.95 a month. I no longer was the "administrator", zonbu was. I found no real differences in open office & word. Learned to use scribus, loved f-spot, could listen to music, make cd's, watch video, everything I was doing before. Zonbu answered all my noop questions promptly & patiently & then the end came, two years later no more Zonbu. I had a stupid little ebox. So I installed Ubuntu, hearty heron, and was amazed at how it ran on that tiny machine. Ubuntu taught me how to use a computer. I learned gimp. People think I am some kind of geek and ask me all kinds of things. I explain to them that I can't answer their questions about windows. I don't know windows. I don't think I ever knew windows.
I can, & have recovered there lost data however. Now please just let me install ubuntu for you.

ValerieAnne
October 7th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Just switched completely over to Ubuntu 11.04. I was using it on the side with Windows 7, but turned my computer on one day and everything was gone - the OS/Recovery, everything - so decided to just install Ubuntu and it's my only OS now. At the moment, I am not loving it, mostly because I am a hardcore Photoshop User, and can't get it too run (even using wine), nor can I get 2.7.3 of Gimp Installed. If I could fix these issues I would love it though! Super fast in my opnion - compared to Windows anyway.

ubupirate
October 7th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Just switched completely over to Ubuntu 11.04. I was using it on the side with Windows 7, but turned my computer on one day and everything was gone - the OS/Recovery, everything - so decided to just install Ubuntu and it's my only OS now. At the moment, I am not loving it, mostly because I am a hardcore Photoshop User, and can't get it too run (even using wine), nor can I get 2.7.3 of Gimp Installed. If I could fix these issues I would love it though! Super fast in my opnion - compared to Windows anyway.

You can virtualbox Windows as Linux host and use Photoshop in there. :)

Dy1anW
October 7th, 2011, 06:41 PM

I have 11.04 installed on the laptop I bought in 2006, which originally came with Windows XP. I don't have the resources to run Unity (tragic loss that), but otherwise Gnome 2 fallback worked just fine, and boots in 1/10th the time it took for Windows.

Dy1anW
October 7th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Just switched completely over to Ubuntu 11.04. I was using it on the side with Windows 7, but turned my computer on one day and everything was gone - the OS/Recovery, everything - so decided to just install Ubuntu and it's my only OS now.

I know exactly what you mean. Did you make the mistake of installing SP1 too? Even though I "needed" Windows for AutoCAD to run properly, I couldn't let a glitch that severe simply slide. Windows had to go.

P.S. Are you installing Gimp 2.7.3 from ppa?

johnnyhop
October 8th, 2011, 05:45 AM
I've been Linux only--mostly Kubuntu and Mepis--since autumn 2007 but have tried other distros as well. On that fateful evening, ran the Verizon security suite for Windows and after the required reboot, XP crashed, blue screen of death and have never reinstalled Windows.

StephanVolkmann
October 8th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Maverick > Natty > Aptosid > killing winxp complete > oneiric > kanotix

most of time in oneiric using xfce

cu, stephan

TREESofRIGHTEOUSNESS
October 8th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I use Ubuntu and Xubuntu (for my slow old computer). Puppy is nice to grab files from a trashed windows system. I don't play games. I make music, and Ubuntu offers what I need for thousands of dollars less, plus you can do all the normal everyday stuff, and read windows documents people send you, or powerpoint presentations. The only downside is you have to know what your doing, but you can completely edit everything imaginable if you do know what you are doing, very open and free. And I like freedom!

gbrowning
October 9th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Love this OS! Natty now, had some issues with Video Card upgrade, solved. Use this computer as entertainment center. Use Windows at work. Used Snow Leopard on this computer. Ubuntu works for my needs

wolfen69
October 9th, 2011, 06:52 AM

I find laptop support to be pretty good actually. But anyway, I keep windows around for the once or twice a year I need to test software for a customer. But other than that, using windows is never a consideration.

jonkiribati
October 9th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I have only GNU/Linux on my computer. However I got windows and OS X in a Virtual machine :p

zlyke
October 9th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Started using Linux in 2000 (Red Hat Guinness & Slackware 7.1 I guess), switched fully to Linux when Fedora / Red Hat merged in 2003 and was also using SuSE or whatever variant existed then (I think that's right because I stopped using it when it wasn't SuSE anymore). Switched to Debian and Debian-based distributions in 2005. Didn't start using Ubuntu regularly until very recently.

I repaired Macs in high school through college (2005-2010 or so) so you'll just have to forgive that. I still never bought one.

new123
October 10th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Im using XP as my primary OS couz most apps I use ( and games ofc :D) can't run on Ubuntu so its my secundary OS.

cylex
October 10th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I have windows running on one machine just for work use, rest of the machines I have Ubuntu running.

--
<snip>

Flymo
October 10th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Only one machine (out of eight) in this family still has a working Windows partition. :)

It happens to be this one, an old Compaq Presario C300 that has Lucid, Bodhi 120, and (this partition) Mint Fluxbox 9 as well as Win XP.

It was given to us by an academic friend who was upgrading to a newer machine and needed help transferring his data and coming to terms with the awful new version of MS Office. That 'Ribbon' thing makes Unity look almost useful.

So we keep his Win XP partition intact in case he needs access to it again in an emergency. But it has not been used since the last time I checked it was still working.

About time I did that again - Bodhi Linux installer has put it in the GRUB2 menu OK, but you never do know. Going to visit him next month, so just as well to be prepared.

Yes, we've switched!:guitar:

PS An old Sony P3 has XP on it, but it stopped booting (2 years ago) after a defrag, and the 'temporary' fix of a Puppy Linux persistent DVD still allows us to access all the files in there. Puppy boots and runs far faster so never got around to restoring XP.

wanderingarticfox
October 14th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I have, just over 1 year ago. When my 2002 [Feb] Compaq HDD died I just stopped using Windows and I jokingly tell people that when I built this new system I fired MS. But on a serious note I let them know I have a very nice and up-to-date Computer that runs on free Software ):P

dconrad
October 14th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I switched completely over to Linux in 1994 with whatever version of Slackware was current at the time. In 2002 I switched back to Windows XP, and now happily run Windows 7. Of course, I couldn't live without my (Cygwin) bash prompt, and it's nice to have a Ubuntu install running under VirtualBox, but I can't see going back to using Linux full-time these days. Sorry.

wanderingarticfox
October 14th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I have not read all 800+ pages, but I can always understand why people do not give up Windows. The people who are Gamers will not until a large enough option is available and let's be honest; how many guru's are going to invest the time to produce a goo game and not want to get paid for it.

Chess is all I play; I just one of those weird people that never got into games, I never got into pin-ball and the like of the late sixties and the seventies. Guess I'm just wired funny;)

wackawacka
October 14th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I have not read all 800+ pages, but I can always understand why people do not give up Windows. The people who are Gamers will not until a large enough option is available and let's be honest; how many guru's are going to invest the time to produce a goo game and not want to get paid for it.

Chess is all I play; I just one of those weird people that never got into games, I never got into pin-ball and the like of the late sixties and the seventies. Guess I'm just wired funny;)

this whole linux windows saga sounds like arguments between hunts and heinz.

Jesuswashomeless
October 16th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I am very new to all things tech (been learning around 1.75 years) I have recently got my first all Linux box up and running. I am pretty happy with Ubuntu as I am not a gamer but I would love to see a work around for Netflix as I have access to an account for free through Family but I am being stubborn about going back to a dual boot.

Is Virtualbox a viable option?

rmcellig
October 16th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I have to tell you that last night I was on the phone with my 17 year old nephew who is a pc user. He had an old Toshiba laptop sitting in the closet that he was ready to ditch. The laptop is around 7 years old. Here is what he sent me:

Well this is it. My first e-mail using thunderbird! I thought I'd send it to you as a test drive! needless to say Ubuntu is working flawlessly and I have to admit it's surpassed my expectations. I'm looking forward to exploring it more!

I am so happy he is discovering the world of Linux!!

Mistbubble
October 16th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I use only Ubuntu. But sometimes it's so annoying that some simple things do not work, that I am thinking of going back to Windows. Then I change my mind again. :-D

cmcanulty
October 16th, 2011, 02:09 PM
virtualbox is free and works fine in Ubuntu if your computer has the power needed to run it

sadaruwan12
October 16th, 2011, 03:23 PM

Well, I was a die hard gamer who will change a full hardware spec of my computer so I can run a new game but I got enlightened computers are not toys there are better things to do in life and with a computer.

At that point I removed every windows aspect I had and I became very good tinker and a solution finder if there's any hardware that doesn't work on my Ubuntu rig I find away to do it.

If I really get lonely I fire up POL and install one of my old games and play it till I finish it then removes every thing.

Since 2008 I've been a pure Linux / Ubuntu user.

Pcmechanic
October 16th, 2011, 06:31 PM
For personal use - 100% Ubuntu where as my job revolves around mostly MS products.

doctor casey
October 16th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I have two systems running XP and one running Ubuntu 11.10. When I upgraded-yesterday-to 11.10 I lost my customized desktop (I had Applications - Systems - Administration in the top panel and I liked this arrangement).
I understand--from other posts on forums and Launchpad--that there's no easy way back to my 11.04 desktop because there is no automatic backup to one's previous system--as is done with XP.

In addition, I will never switch to Linux if I cannot get Netflix, as is the case now. Furthermore, and finally, it was Hell to set up my Canon printer under Linux/Ubuntu (a Canon ip1800).

Ubuntu is great eye candy, but still lacks functionality. I want a tool, not a plaything that eats all my time trying to figure out how to get the functionality I need.

I do like the way it sets up the internet connection automatically.

But, in addition, when I try to set up Ubuntu or Puppy or Slax Linux on my old Dell c800 with WinXP, the video is vertically chopped into sections, making it very hard to use or fix (I have some instructions on how to fix, but the first time it would not work when I run PuppyLinux from the CD--and I won't install in place of WinXP, slow as it is, until I know I can fix the video display).

TomLigg
October 16th, 2011, 11:13 PM
I switched completely to ubuntu my sophmore year of high school (senior now) for my personal laptop. Had to leave windows on the desktop though the the folks are all windows all the time. :p

The_Autonomist
October 17th, 2011, 02:37 AM
The only reason Windows7 is even on my laptop is because of iTunes. I've yet to find a program that works as seamlessly with my iPod on Linux as it does.

Dualbooting for now, but if it weren't for that, i'd only boot Ubuntu.

I long for the day when i'll no longer need iTunes, lol.

Hated On Mostly
October 17th, 2011, 04:12 AM
I am very new to all things tech (been learning around 1.75 years) I have recently got my first all Linux box up and running. I am pretty happy with Ubuntu as I am not a gamer but I would love to see a work around for Netflix as I have access to an account for free through Family but I am being stubborn about going back to a dual boot.

Is Virtualbox a viable option?

Yes, Virtualbox is a viable option. It should allow you to use Netfilx without having to dual boot. You can also run it in seamless mode which allows the virtual machines windows to be run next to your native Linux windows without the separation of the Virtualbox program interface.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

harry821
October 17th, 2011, 05:36 AM
I only started using Linux about 2 months ago. I still have my Windows 7 but rarely used it and I have no point actually to use Windows anymore that 3 times slower ](*,) than Ubuntu 11.04 (classic Gnome) I currently running. All my everyday important tasks done in Linux while I only use PS3 as gaming.

wolfen69
October 17th, 2011, 07:16 AM
The only reason Windows7 is even on my laptop is because of iTunes. I've yet to find a program that works as seamlessly with my iPod on Linux as it does.

That's funny, but I found gtkpod SO much better and simpler. itunes can be convoluted, confusing....... gtkpod is so much easier. But I just got an Android "phone" and I love the "plug and play" of android. forget ios.

wolfen69
October 17th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I use only Ubuntu. But sometimes it's so annoying that some simple things do not work

Then you need to step back and find out why it doesn't work. Part of being a geek means you can get anything working. It's not about hate and angry people. I've had enough of that.

feedmebits
October 17th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I run dual-boot, but I do everything on Linux except for gaming, which I still use windows for. Looking foward to BF3, don't think that'll run through wine.

Azyx
October 17th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Only Ubuntu on x86 compuers, but on my ppc g4 iMac (iLamp) I cannot get the screens back-light to shut-down then idle or sleep :(, so there do I have OS-X.

Ra'anan
October 17th, 2011, 06:57 PM
just recently switched from Windows 7 to Ubuntu 10.04 lucid and I suddenly like my computer much more! ran ubuntu for a while in a vm to get to know it, if i need a windows kernel i can always use a VM.

i trust the permission system so much more, 'Everyone' no longer has access, my video gpu works better and my mouse no longer freezes every 5 minutes...

Pcmechanic
October 17th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Recently replaced the hard drive in my laptop - only have Ubuntu installed. if i need windows for anything i have my work laptop or wife's pc

audeojude
October 17th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I'm pretty much totally linux. I have a virtual machine to run some accounting software for my business but other than that I havent used windows in a while. I'm just waiting for an accounting package for linux to come of age and get a nice easy to use interface. Lots of them out there that have all the features I need but they are a pain in the *** to use compared to quickbooks or peachtree.

what_indeed
October 23rd, 2011, 04:01 AM
Hi, I'm Bob, and I've been clean for a year now (from Windows).

Well, I will say that, relatively speaking, WinXp was better than the previous releases. However, after the crash of 2010 (October, 2010 when my windows machine crashed for the umpteenth time) I finally had enough and switched over to Linux. Over the past year I've used PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu 11.04, Solaris and Ubuntu 10.10. The last being my favorite by far and which I am currently using.

I have learned exponentially over the last year and especially over the last few months on Maverick. I have found apps or figured out how to do everything I used to do on WinXP including:
Audio (mp3) editing, recording, downloading
Video editing & movie-making
Webpage design & ftp
Remote computing
Graphic design & layout
Photo editing

It took some painstaking work, painful trial & error, forum lurking, asking noob questions and loooooots of reading. But it has been worth it. I am running circles around all of my windows friends now. Except my wife, she is the master of Photoshop. But that's only because she's too "lazy" to learn Gimp.

In fact, her computer is the only one in the house (out of 3) that still uses WinXP. And it's because it's HER computer, I still maintain it for her, though.

But I love the fact that whenever something does go wrong in Linux, all I have to do is search diligently and I have always found a fix, a work-around, a piece of code or something that will make it work. Usually after that I end up finding out how to make it no longer a work-around, but how to configure it properly.

My friends think my machine is from Star Trek when I play with the Compiz effects in front of them. Even my Mac-lover buddies admit that my eye candy is superior. But eye candy aside, I have tremendous security capabilities now that I could only dream of with windows. Things like my wifi settings, user/root configurations and so on.

It hasn't been an easy road, but neither is life, and at the end of the day I'm satisfied with the hard work and the rewards that come with it.

Seizure later...

Frostbytn
October 23rd, 2011, 06:59 AM
I have completely switched over to Ubuntu 11.10. After several issues with Widows 7, and my lack of using it after I installed Ubuntu with Wubi. My only complaint is running WoW. I have tried every tip, tweak, and perpetual foot. It still doesn't run quite as well. What can you expect though? If Windows doesn't run properly as a stand alone. You can't expect an emulator to run much better.

rmcellig
October 23rd, 2011, 11:39 AM
I have learned exponentially over the last year and especially over the last few months on Maverick. I have found apps or figured out how to do everything I used to do on WinXP including:
Audio (mp3) editing, recording, downloading
Video editing & movie-making
Webpage design & ftp
Remote computing
Graphic design & layout
Photo editing

Hi Bob!

Great post!! Couldn't have said it better. Can you be more specific? I'm interested in what you used in Linux to get the job done.

PaulW2U
October 23rd, 2011, 12:12 PM
Since my last post, many many pages ago, I've found that I am almost 100% Linux now. Switching to Kubuntu, due to a number of problems with Gnome applications, has meant that I seldom turn on my two laptops and netbook, when I do it's just to allow any updates to be downloaded and applied.

I've tried to install Ubuntu/Kubuntu on to my netbook but I just can't get the wi-fi to work. Although it seems that wi-fi would work on both of my laptops I'm reluctant at this stage to either wipe the hard drives or install Linux alongside Windows Vista/7 in case something goes wrong. In time, as both OS's reach their end of life I may end up installing Linux on one or both laptops anyway.

But in practical terms I suppose I have switched to Linux. The PC that I am using now is the only PC that I use on a regular basis and it only has Kubuntu installed on it.

dannyvanleur
October 23rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
I don't use Windows anymore, instead I use Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my computer (and OpenSUSE on my second computer).

First I used to dual-boot with Windows to play video games, but now with Wine 1.3 and PlayOnLinux 4 my favourite games work. Actually a bit more than half of all the Windows games I try out seem to work now. So I'll keep using Ubuntu for now. I do hope it becomes even more compatible with Windows games in the future.

The only major problem I have with Ubuntu is not being able to get Blu-ray playback.

Harry.k
October 23rd, 2011, 02:49 PM
Ubuntu till death!!!

alco75
October 23rd, 2011, 03:52 PM
I have Xubuntu 11.10 on both my own laptop and my work PC now.

The only time I ever have to use Windows is when something needs updating or installing on my wife's laptop. :cool:

tekkisan
October 23rd, 2011, 08:11 PM
I have just installed Natty last week with a WUBI install. So far I really like it but have not made the switch yet. I find the ubuntu programs, like Banshee, Evolution and Skype very good and complete. I have UnbuntuOne syncing with my windows and android tablet. I have the cube going as well as Docky. I use Acronis on Windows for backup but in Ubuntu I find it easy to duplicate the whole ubuntu file for a a backup. I used this method a lot especially when getting my configuration set up. I have not made the switch as I have to test out Rosetta Stone, a program that I use a lot right now. I need to use Internet Explorer and my company's webpage does not work with Firefox. Also although LibreOffice is very good, the files are not 100% compatible with MSOffice. If I can get the few Windows program going that I need and feel comfortable with LibreOffice files, then I will definitely switch. I like the Classic desktop and do not like Unity. I have not upgraded to 11.10 for this reason, but hopefully I will like future desktops

joaopinheiro
October 23rd, 2011, 09:05 PM
99.9% of the time with Linux...

mahmoud.l
October 23rd, 2011, 11:05 PM
I use Windows for gaming and for some engineering tools i couldn't find an equivalent of in the open-source world
Other than that, Ubuntu only

DMGrier
October 24th, 2011, 02:59 AM
I have completely used Ubuntu since I first used it on 8.04, yes I hated Vista that much where I would lose functionality and compatibility just to get away fro it.

Redblade20XX
October 24th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Rarely use windows now. Only for document formatting purposed for work. Ubuntu is 100x faster than windows for my everyday needs!!! :P

- Red

Tibs1
October 24th, 2011, 07:06 AM
I run a small IT business and have installed Ubuntu on a few PC's. The users love it. I like the fact that it is virus "free". I am converting to Ubuntu and I only use XP for the Canon printer which I cant seem to get working. I have 2 HDD one for Ubuntu and one for Windows. Works like a dream.

kaizen666
October 24th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Mostly I have.
Office and business is great.
Multimedia all work, editors, creators, etc.,
The games on linux are good enough for me, I can play a majority of the ones I like through my browser anyway.
The only thing, in fact the biggest thing and probably the biggest kill for anyone to switch, is that my brother printer is one of the very few models that don't work (or didn't a few versions ago) so whenever I need to print my documents I have to go to my wife's computer and use windows.

Otherwise I could do without the windows os.

danidesi
October 25th, 2011, 01:12 AM
I am a Ubuntu user but something that keep me attached to windows are some application that I dont find on ubuntu, like official yahoo messenger, msn messenger, utorrent,
there r some applications that can replace those but they are not as good as official versions r, e.g messengers on ubuntu does not support webcams, torrent clients r not as good as utorrent is. . .
ubuntu is a desktop os it must have official support for some applications like mac and windows have...

Azyx
October 25th, 2011, 02:10 AM
Ithere r some applications that can replace those but they are not as good as official versions r, e.g messengers on ubuntu does not support webcams, torrent clients r not as good as utorrent is. . .

It was a long time ago I used utorrent, can you tell me why it's better than Transmission?

/Cheers

Khufucius
October 25th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I am a Ubuntu user but something that keep me attached to windows are some application that I dont find on ubuntu, like official yahoo messenger, msn messenger, utorrent,
there r some applications that can replace those but they are not as good as official versions r, e.g messengers on ubuntu does not support webcams, torrent clients r not as good as utorrent is. . .
ubuntu is a desktop os it must have official support for some applications like mac and windows have...

You know, I think it's great that you're using Linux anyway. It used to be just hardcore computer dudes using Linux, because they were the only ones who could stand all the complex troubleshooting when things went wrong.

It's a testament to the community that people like you and me are using this as "just another OS."

Having messed around with linux about 8 years ago, I can say it's a COMPLETELY different experience now. Night and day. Linux and all the open-source apps that live on it are actually useable to "regular people" now! My mom runs linux now. My last girlfriend was a convert, too. Many of my friends, too, some of which are the least tech-geeky people I know.

It's really getting into the "Just works" phase.

Anyway, I run a Win7 machine for gaming, work, and picking up viruses. Still, 90% of my personal computer time is now spent on Ubuntu/Mint. I even have a Mint VM at work. Huzzah.

-Khufu

CryptoPaul
October 25th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Dabbled occasionally with various Linux distributions over the years.

Decided to make the move, my main PC has been exclusively Linux for the last four years. Initially with Ubuntu/Gnome but now with Kubuntu/KDE. No regrets.

Unfortunately, there is one Windows application that I must retain, Catraxx, a music collection database ( http://www.fnprg.com/catraxx/index.html ). Just can't get it to fully operational using Wine, so having to keep an old PC running Win XP just for it. :(

ratcheer
October 25th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I don't know when I last replied to this thread, but at that time I was still using a little WinXP, mainly for iTunes.

I am now 100% on Linux. I run Ubuntu 11.10 as my primary OS and I run Arch to play around with some.

Tim

rmcellig
October 25th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Unfortunately, there is one Windows application that I must retain, Catraxx, a music collection database ( http://www.fnprg.com/catraxx/index.html ). Just can't get it to fully operational using Wine, so having to keep an old PC running Win XP just for it. :(

I have my music collection in Filemaker on my Mac. I am thinking of switching over to Linux but at the moment can't find something equivalent in Linux.

videopoet
October 25th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I dabbled on and off for several years; two years ago I installed Ubuntu on two PCs and two laptops. I decided that I was just not going to do the Vista learning curve when I could do the Linux learning curve instead. I haven't looked back since, I don't miss XP, I've yet to find something that I can not do under Linux (even if it is "eventually" sometimes), and you could not pay me enough to go back to micro$oft. I love not having to worry about malware etc (other than to protect my windoze using friends), and I would absolutely loath having to go back to hunting for the right / best software for this or that under windoze after having so much choice so easily available in Linux.

I'm on Mint 10 and Ubuntu 11.04 now, and looking forward to seeing how initiatives like Unity and Gnome 3 develop. I don't remember ever looking forward to stuff like that in windoze.:)

what_indeed
October 26th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Hi Bob!

Great post!! Couldn't have said it better. Can you be more specific? I'm interested in what you used in Linux to get the job done.

Sure, here ya go:

Audio (mp3) editing, recording, downloading = Audacity
Video editing & movie-making = Kdenlive
Webpage design & ftp = KompoZer & FileZilla
Remote computing = Ubuntu remote desktop
Graphic design & layout = Inkscape & Scribus
Photo editing = Gimp

:cool:

wolfen69
October 26th, 2011, 05:35 AM
It was a long time ago I used utorrent, can you tell me why it's better than Transmission?

/Cheers

I'd like to know too. I've used bittorrent since the very beginning, and I can say without a doubt, that transmission is one of the best clients I've ever used. Some people claim that it isn't as configurable as others, but I beg to differ. Learn it and give it a chance, and it's actually one of the best around.

HippieDave
October 26th, 2011, 06:24 AM
I switched to ubuntu two years ago. I keep windows on a separate drive, but don't think I've used it in over a year. Just got a new netbook and just have ubuntu on it.

seanfalloy
October 26th, 2011, 05:16 PM
I use linux 99.9999% of the time. Switched about 4 years ago and have had one form or another running ever since. Ubuntu was the original but i tried everything i could (mandrake slackware[that was fun] fedora opensuse debian) but always came back to ubuntu.
There are still some electronic design software suites that i prefere to use in windows. All my machines have one windows partition and 1 or 2 linux boot partitions except my server(linux of course). Most of my embeded development is done in linux (arm and avr) but board layout is still Windows.
Just updated to 11.10 from 9.04 .. what a shocker! Not a big fan of unity. Infact so much tweeking was needed to make it usable for dual monitors It drove me away.. Installed Fedora. Still running Ubuntu 10.04 on the laptop for now.
Last time I was in windows was to try out Windows 8 .. Honestly I thought vista was the bottom for microsoft.

Morwinyon
October 26th, 2011, 08:56 PM
I switched to Kubuntu nine months ago from WinXP and still think that was the best idea i've had in a very long while (well, at least computer-oriented). :)

realitykid
October 27th, 2011, 04:43 AM
You know that there's also Deluge in the Ubuntu repositories, right? I use that, even on Windows. Look into that and the suggestions that others gave you.

gesti
October 27th, 2011, 07:04 AM
You know that there's also Deluge in the Ubuntu repositories, right? I use that, even on Windows. Look into that and the suggestions that others gave you.
also for msn: I think Empathy is a lot better then the official, unless you want does fancy animation emotions. Just don't use the one that comes with Ubuntu 11.04, install the latest one instead.

Now to answer the threads question:
I only use Windows from time to time for Photoshop, but lately I have discovered that argyll finally supports my Spyder 3 colorimeter, so I might dump Windows completely. I would still use Photoshop, but under Wine.

albundy79
October 27th, 2011, 10:26 AM

Im considering going back to windows for one simple reason:
saving time.

Ubuntu / linux requires a lot of time to obtain the same functionality as Windows, without providing any more benefits. The only benefit some years ago was getting better performance on the same hardware, but today with fast CPUs and cheap RAM that is no longer any edge for linux when used in a simple home/small office server.

cespinal
October 27th, 2011, 10:28 AM
saving time.

Ubuntu / linux requires a lot of time to obtain the same functionality as Windows, without providing any more benefits. The only benefit some years ago was getting better performance on the same hardware, but today with fast CPUs and cheap RAM that is no longer any edge for a simple home/small office server.

Did you just reply to a comment made back in 2004?

Azyx
October 27th, 2011, 11:24 AM
saving time.

Ubuntu / linux requires a lot of time to obtain the same functionality as Windows, without providing any more benefits. The only benefit some years ago was getting better performance on the same hardware, but today with fast CPUs and cheap RAM that is no longer any edge for linux when used in a simple home/small office server.

It just the opposit for me. I have not time for Windows. It's take time to update (automatic in Ubuntu), takes time to find anti-virus and remove spyware (Easy and take not so much time in Ubuntu and I have never find any virus or trojan). Ububtu take a half hour to install, if you make the update after you have installed and you can use the computer during update. In windows you have to search for drivers and the update and reboot over and over.

But now with Unity, I can say your maybee right. You can't even change the size of the launcher, but I realy hope they gonna fixit till 12.04 LTS, or make the fallback easy. But still you can run 10.04 LTS, fore those who don't appreciate change for the change sake ;)

albundy79
October 27th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I give linux a last chance - im replacing ubuntu with other window managers and desktops.

Azyx
October 27th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I give linux a last chance - im replacing ubuntu with other window managers and desktops.

There is a 'problem' for conservative gnome-user as I, and that is that even gnome 3 are quit differnt. I really like old gnome, it simple and much they say are better with Unity (no panel that takes space, for instance, you can easy fix with autohide. I have just tried gnome-fallback, but that is also a strange thing. For instance to add thingt to paanel or creat launcher on the desktop, don't work with right-click. I don't have time to google how so simple thing should be done. Maybee Mint linux or Xubuntu are more simple? This 'problem' are not only a Ubuntu-problem, you have same typ of 'problem' in for instance XP-->w7., KDE3-->KDE 4 and so on.

BillyBoa
October 27th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I have various computers, in house and in work. In work it's almost impossible to use Ubuntu, due to the use of MS Office 2010. If I use OOffice or LibreOffice instead, I have many compatibility problems with my colleagues.
In the house I use almost exclusively Ubuntu, because in my laptops Ubuntu works smoother than Win 7. Only problem to my wife's HP touchpad, in which Ubuntu doesn't recognize all the functions.

Tutoka
October 27th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I switched to Linux almost completely by my own mistake. I had perfectly functioning Windows on my HP Pavilion dv6 but by not knowing what I was doing i totally messed up the partitioning and I can not return back. Now I want to go back to Windows but I do not know how.
In shortcut: I am a slave of Ubuntu - the OS whose creators wasting their time, egoes, and talents on fights between kde, gnome, unity and whatever and make thus the interface and the functionality of Ubuntu OS extremly enempathical to average user or dummies - simply all who do not have time to "applaud" their games. The ideal would be for me if I had a dual boot, now in this situation I would rather prefer Win 7 than Ubuntu.

Mikeb85
October 27th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I switched to Linux almost completely by my own mistake. I had perfectly functioning Windows on my HP Pavilion dv6 but by not knowing what I was doing i totally messed up the partitioning and I can not return back. Now I want to go back to Windows but I do not know how.
In shortcut: I am a slave of Ubuntu - the OS whose creators wasting their time, egoes, and talents on fights between kde, gnome, unity and whatever and make thus the interface and the functionality of Ubuntu OS extremly enempathical to average user or dummies - simply all who do not have time to "applaud" their games. The ideal would be for me if I had a dual boot, now in this situation I would rather prefer Win 7 than Ubuntu.

Reinstalling Windows 7 isn't that hard, surely you could just do that?

Azyx
October 27th, 2011, 03:45 PM

If you boot to a live-CD or live-USB, you may use Gparted to thrink the Ubuntu-partition and in the rest of the disk create NTFS-partition there you can install w7. Make a question under http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=333 for futher help. /Cheers.

cirelosborn
October 27th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I started by running a dual boot between windows and ubuntu a few years ago. Quickly, after I learned the elegance of ubuntu I reformatted my drive and only run ubuntu. The only time I touch windows is when my wife has a problem with windows 7. This, linux, truly is an ultimate os.

Nico-dk
October 27th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Made a partial switch 3 years ago with a dual boot of Ubuntu and XP. I never really used Ubuntu that much.

Bought a T43 about a year ago and decided to go Ubuntu only. haven't looked back since.

The wife is still using the powerful XP, but I only ever boot up my trusty T43

mitsumits
October 27th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Since October 15th my laptop is at last windows free!!!

andyvy
October 27th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Ubuntu 10.04 was the first one to get me to remove Windows 7 completely. Used it since it came out.

I do have Windows 7 installed on my gaming laptop, and that's only used for League of Legends. (they keep promising a Linux client though...)

prudra
October 28th, 2011, 07:15 AM
I use windows (XP till last year and 7 Home Basic afterwards only for 2 actions) on my dual boot laptop.
1) For making installation usb flash of ubuntu distros for my other netbook. I have debian as my linux OS on the laptop and I could not create the installation usb by CLI command
#dd if=.....iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
I could use this command for debian and opensuse but not for ubuntu
2) Making Skype videophone talk with my grandchildren at the USA and Canada from India. I could never make the linux OSes, neither debian, nor ubuntu nor opensuse work.

Azyx
October 28th, 2011, 07:25 AM
1) For making installation usb flash of ubuntu distros for my other netbook. I have debian as my linux OS on the laptop and I could not create the installation usb by CLI command
#dd if=.....iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
I could use this command for debian and opensuse but not for ubuntu

Have you tried bs=1M ? Other wise yuo may try:

sudo apt-get install usb-creator-gtk

/Cheers

mrady
October 28th, 2011, 08:41 AM
not completely...work still uses it!

prudra
October 28th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Have you tried bs=1M ? Other wise yuo may try:

sudo apt-get install usb-creator-gtk/Cheers

Thanks. I'll try that when ubuntu-12.04-LTS comes out. At present I have ubuntu-10-.04-LTS on the netbook with the usb-flash created on windows. At present I am waiting for the November-16 release of opensuse-12.1.
I am essentially linux-man. Being now a retired person, I enjoy OS-hopping.

prudra
October 28th, 2011, 03:04 PM

I also did a similar thing. In 2004 my son presented me a Dell-Inspiron-1400(?) laptop with dual boot of Windows XP (I still think this is a good OS) and Debian-Sarge. While I was playing with the Linux and experimenting with other linux OSes like SLED10 I managed to erase the XP without knowing it. When I detected it I tried to re-install it with the CD supplied by the original vendor. But in the meantime the CD has been corrupted and I had only linux since then till in 2011 my wife presented me with a new Dell-Vostro-1014 laptop with installed Windows7-HomeBasic and Debian-Lenny which I installed.

gesti
October 28th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I also did a similar thing. In 2004 my son presented me a Dell-Inspiron-1400(?) laptop with dual boot of Windows XP (I still think this is a good OS) and Debian-Sarge. While I was playing with the Linux and experimenting with other linux OSes like SLED10 I managed to erase the XP without knowing it. When I detected it I tried to re-install it with the CD supplied by the original vendor. But in the meantime the CD has been corrupted and I had only linux since then till in 2011 my wife presented me with a new Dell-Vostro-1014 laptop with installed Windows7-HomeBasic and Debian-Lenny which I installed.
If I were you I would delete Win7 and sell the sticker from the bottom of my laptop. :)

rajesh.kalapura
October 29th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I am using windows only for games,for browsing and all other works its ubuntu for me.....:D

Adehenny
October 29th, 2011, 03:23 PM
guys am having a problem with installing ubuntu on my hard disk because it is complaining that my hard drive is not deteted by my sytem guys please help

Azyx
October 29th, 2011, 04:14 PM
guys am having a problem with installing ubuntu on my hard disk because it is complaining that my hard drive is not deteted by my sytem guys please help

I think you may get a better anwser under this category here: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=333

/cheers

moldaviax
October 29th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I completely switched over a year ago. The change in terms of apps was fine but I ran into a couple of problems during updates when pm-utils and laptop mode got into conflict and kept spinning down my hdd every minute. However that was the only major glitch so on the whole was very impressed (with 10.04 and 10.10)

M.

JayKay3OOO
October 29th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Switched a year ago then switched back to windows 7 bcs ugly gnome.

Back in Linux only for over a month & no plans to switch. Windows 7 sits in a VM if I need to ref it for support reasons.

Unity looks as good as win 7, but it boots in a fraction of the time (3 seconds past the bios) non SSD.

Feel a bit stupid now buying Windows 7.

azenquor
October 31st, 2011, 01:24 PM
I switched! Ubuntu only! Why, I was tired of being a pirate!! Because Exodus 20:15 says Thou shalt not steal... My conscience is clear!

SnowWhite
October 31st, 2011, 08:00 PM
I installed Ubuntu in February or March earlier this year, and once I did, I pretty much stopped using Windows. When I upgrade my hard-drive soon, I don't even plan to install Windows at all since the only thing I use it for anymore is to sync my iPod once or twice a month. If I can't find a way to sync my iPod in Linux, my other (ancient) laptop will serve yet another small purpose.

Mikeb85
November 1st, 2011, 01:02 AM
I use Ubuntu exclusively now. Windows was too much of a pain, and then when my CD-key wouldn't register and getting help was a pain, I simply installed a bunch of Linux distros and settled on Ubuntu 11.04 (now 11.10). It's much more stable, usable, quicker, and simply all around better. Even the girlfriend agrees, so much that now I couldn't go back to Windows if I wanted to.