PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Hman242
April 6th, 2010, 05:17 AM
I run a few things here and there in WINE, but other than that I'm completely on Linux. In a week or two I will be dual-booting with Win7 however.

djdarrin91
April 6th, 2010, 05:23 AM
I use nothing but Ubuntu,not one computer i own has anything but linux installed.I'm a gamer myself but i have a console for that;)but i also play a few games on ubuntu,open arena,alien arena,etc etc.

tigs6969
April 6th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I use nothing but Ubuntu,not one computer i own has anything but linux installed.I'm a gamer myself but i have a console for that;)but i also play a few games on ubuntu,open arena,alien arena,etc etc.
^this
to add my FAMILY computer not my personal computer has windows vista and **** me i ****ing hate it ohh i can swear on and on about it. i swear to god i love ubuntu have the day i installed it. no bsods no damn viruses and man everything is set out so perfectly. i will NEVER install windows to my personal computer ever

Dragonbite
April 6th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Well just last night my wife went out and bought Turbo Tax. Since there isn't much time and I didn't want to have to figure out whether it will work and how well under Linux (and no time to set up VirtualBox with Windows XP at this point), we installed it on Windows 7.

I should feel lucky, though, it only took about one hour to do the updates/upgrades/etc. since it's been a while since it was last used.

The sooner 10.04 gets here, the better so I can try finishing setting up this box and remove the old one so I don't have to keep unplugging and plugging in the network cable and DVI monitor connection!

orkyahaalhai
April 6th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I am on dual boot with xp , but the last time i booted to xp was umm ,um.....,um.....,before 2004 .But my family do use the xp , for them linux (ubuntu) is for surfing net and plugging pendrive and clear viruses.

drreed
April 6th, 2010, 09:34 PM
My entire home network is now Linux, or FreeBSD

bushguy43
April 6th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I have switched over completely to Ubuntu. On my desktops, I love it, but I'm seriously considering switching my Netbook back to Windows 7.

The reason is that, I guess like most Netbook users, I switch from Mobile Broadband to Wireless Networks quite a lot and it seems very clunky on Karmic to say the least.

With Windows, I just use Mobile Partner software. I can recharge via the Optus site, I then check my SMS on the Mobile Partner and it gives me a code where I can get some bonus credit or whatever. I can also send and receive sms's and check the status of my Sim card. I also stored my allocated phone number on the E160 Sim, and I have no idea how to access that using Ubuntu.

The Network manager on Ubuntu will connect ok, but it doesn't seem to be very reliable switching from wireless to mobile broadband, and auto detection of other networks is problematic using the Netbook remix.

At least I've had all kinds of issues with it.

I was also considering ditching the Netbook remix because of my bad habit of downloading stuff to the desktop and placing shortcuts there . The remix menu might be ok for smaller netbooks but for a 10 inch screen, I'd sooner use the standard Ubuntu.

The other slight nag I have is command line. Everybody seems to push it on these forums, but hey, we're actually in the 21st Century, I actually have a life beyond typing in lengthy command lines, and I prefer to use a GUI.

Somebody please tell me that this will all be fixed in Lucid.

Vinnie V
April 7th, 2010, 01:51 AM
I use Ubuntu on my laptop, and set up an xp dual boot on my desktop. Basically, I only use xp when I have a program that won't easily work with Ubuntu. Happens a lot less since I installed Wine. It has been almost a month xp free! Almost ready to wipe xp off the comp for good.

jonathonblake
April 7th, 2010, 08:35 PM
So basically, Windows has left me completely before I could leave it completely... ):P

Isn't the whole point of Win7 requiring validation every sixty days Microsoft's way of helping Linux achieve World Domination?

jonathon

ceelo
April 7th, 2010, 09:25 PM
I finally took the time to get my iPod touch set up and syncing in Linux and I now officially have nothing tying me to Windows. Trying to see if I come across anything that requires me to jump back over, but I don't foresee it.

bhencetotozo
April 9th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

Well, I 90% did.

I am also encouraging all my customers to install Linux rather than ANY windows, IF they are gammers, I will setup a nice Dual Boot, so they can have windows for GAMES ONLY + SONY VEGAS, and Linux for everything else.

http://www.ultracomputers.info

hehehe I put linux all over that website. The only problem is that, since Linux doesn't crash, I loose money ! lol ...

On windows customers, they call me a lot... Windows breaks so easy ... Plus they are mostly non computer geeks, so that makes Linux impossible to crash. Linux only crashes if you really try to modify something Hard, like a system file or something... or break a package... Other than that its pretty much perfect, Fast, and stable... except the programming softwares for it are nothing close to Visual Studio. It jst requires redbull for extra concentration but I like challenges.

Linux FTW !

God Bless u guys. I hope you all find the obvious nice advantages of the Superior Operating system, Mr Pinguin.

lonewolfandcub
April 9th, 2010, 05:08 PM
"alsa is not supported on my sound card(cause it sucks) so i use audacity on my win machine. this will be remidied when i get a new comp as i will purchase a creative labs audigy line card(which is supported in alsa so i can do sound recording)."

I just recently switched to Linux "Karmic Koala", fed up with my XP always losing peripherals like DVD players. I tried a few different sound recording programs,such as Audacity, but they refused to work. I think your thread explains why, my sound card is a 16 bit Sound Blaster. It works with Jukebox though. In all, I'm satisfied, it runs smoother and faster on my Computasaurus ( PII 350mhz, 382mb RAM) than did Windows, probably because Windows has so much security going on it takes over everything. Nothing like being paranoid.

Swagman
April 9th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I keep downloading the latest builds and installing on my usb stick hoping they've sorted the "Dummy Output" sound issue but..

Still no joy, but it is faaaaaast & pretty ootb.

http://www.upload3r.com/serve/090410/1270832545.png

Random_Dude
April 9th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I'm starting to spend more and more of my computer time on Ubuntu.
However, I don't think I'll be able to completely switch to linux. Not because of video games (I don't have much time to play anymore), but because of the applications, especially Office.

I know I can use open office, but every time I try to open a microsoft office file the layout gets all messed up. If this is bad in word documents, it's ever worse in powerpoint presentations, they get completely unreadable.:(

tbastian
April 9th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I've been using linux for about 8 years now. (I started when I was about 12) and I finally removed all need to ever use windows again about 2 weeks ago when I figured out that I could sync my iTouch with linux! I've never been happier.

tora201
April 11th, 2010, 04:23 AM
I know I can use open office, but every time I try to open a microsoft office file the layout gets all messed up. If this is bad in word documents, it's ever worse in powerpoint presentations, they get completely unreadable.:(

Ever heard of Wine? As far as I know Office 2007 works fine in it.
Give it a go man! As for me, I keep a tiny partition on my laptop with Windows 7 and Word. Whenever I really need to send an important document in .doc format (for my online distance study, for example) I open it up in there (via dropbox) and give it a quick check. I tell you what though, 99% of the time there are very few problems - especially with the later builds of OO.

Random_Dude
April 11th, 2010, 10:05 AM
tora201:

I've heard but I haven't had the time to try it yet, I also dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu.
Only recently I started using linux for my regular computer stuff, before that I just used it for specific tasks.

Maybe when I have the time I'll give it a try.

Cheers :biggrin:

Dragonbite
April 12th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Ahh! I need 10.04 to be releases ASAP (and no, I don't want to use Alpha/Beta/RC)!!

My wife, who is not very technologically savvy, is right now using Windows 7 because of Turbo Tax. Just the other nights she was complaining how slow it was, and Spider Solitaire on a non-Aero system downright sucks! Like trying to remote control a computer over DIAL-UP! Believe me, I did do that for a while!

I need to get 10.04 on there so I can move everybody from 9.04 to the latest (which will stick with for a while) before she starts making "friends" with Windows!!

Funny thing is, the system with Windows 7 she is calling slow has 2.5 GB of Ram compared to the system she's used to with Ubuntu which has only 512 MB. She should be really happy when Ubuntu is on the 2.5 GB system, it should really fly! Plus the bettter system is a P4 w/2.4 GHz compared to P4 w/2.0GHz.

JuanoX
April 12th, 2010, 11:06 PM
man it is 2010 and since 2006 I have been trying some linux distros but I kept going back to windows, until a week ago I got my hands on the new ubuntu lucid lynx, extremely awesome.

I didnt want to leave windows because I use Catia (cad/cam) but one buddy showed me virtual box, and ohh man, if virtual box runs catia (better than a normal xp installation), it can run almost anithing I believe.

so, now I'm a linux :P (hehe like the ads "im a pc" or "im a bigmac")

Mr_Tricorder
April 13th, 2010, 01:44 AM
After spending several months on Windows 7 on a laptop I had on extended loan, I gave it back and just put a fresh ubuntu Lucid install on my old laptop and am returning to the linux world. I'm still dual-booting between Windows XP and ubuntu on this machine, but now that I've managed to get Photoshop CS4 working under wine and my gaming habits have changed somewhat, I'll probably be spending very little time in Windows.

Dragonbite
April 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Woo Hoo!

I just got the question, "now that we are done with Turbo Tax, are we able to go back to the old system?" :)

Ubuntu 1 / Windows 0

aspergerian
April 13th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I've already lamented that I prefer Adobe Photoshop to Gimp, thus have Windows 7 64 bit computers even as my daily use-preference is an Acer 1410 running Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit.

Surprisingly (to me), godaddy's upload page for my domain there doesn't work properly on the aforementioned Acer but does work on my w7 computers.

The problem with godaddy's upload page has to do with a missing "check box" and with a "delete" button that is not functional. Thus I've acquired an additional reason why I can't be entirely Linux.

Karmic Alice
April 14th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Hello! I am completely new here. After reading a lot in the past 3 or 4 weeks and solving problems with my ubuntu 9.10. Switching to 9.10 and so on...

Problem was my system. And a radeon hd 3650 512 mb 8x AGP. I just couldn't manage to make it work as I wished. As it works on windows.

In the meantime I screwed the agp on the board and stick to the onboard card.

I had several attempts in the past with knoppix (only live cd, was maaaany years ago), with opensuse (that I liked and wanted to get rid of MS finally!). Of course I deleted files I wasn't supposed to, i resisted like... 2 weeks and went back to win:(.

This time I decided it for good. And I really need help from the community, pretty please:)

What distro will be THE BEST for me? Not to "stuck my ears" and quit again? I love Ubuntu, but my pc is not good enough for it. I would like something older that can run very good and still be able to use what I use in xp.

Things I use a lot in win and this PC does it good:

-Photoshop 7 (of course I will switch to GIMP or whatever)
-Internet download manager :D:D
-soccer online (this one is VITAL). The site I most use is www.myp2p.eu (http://www.myp2p.eu) or www.atdhe.net (http://www.atdhe.net). I mention it because is the only way not to make it any longer. (I'm new! Be good pls!:P)
-torrent
-voip/msn (yeah...) but WITH CAM. Voice is not that important.
-movies, movies, movies all along. (eventually from online sites. And in the last ubuntu not even youtube was DECENT. Was like... 10 minutes to buffer a 3 min clip). I used codecs, and everything. Trust me:)

Now. My old system is:

Name Intel Pentium 4
Codename Northwood
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 478 mPGA (0x2)
CPUID F.2.7
Extended CPUID F.2
Brand ID 9
Core Stepping C1
Technology 0.13 um
Core Speed 2397.0 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 18.0 x 133.2 MHz
Rated Bus speed 532.7 MHz
Stock frequency 2400 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2
L1 Data cache 8 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Trace cache 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
L2 cache 512 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control no

Northbridge Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P rev. A2
Southbridge Intel 82801EB (ICH5) rev. 02
Memory Type DDR
Memory Size 2048 MBytes
Channels Dual
Memory Frequency 133.2 MHz (1:1)

Memory type DDR
Manufacturer (ID) Kingston (7F98000000000000)
TWO x 1024 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)

Can you please help me with it?

Thank you very much for the patience!

EDITED:
P4i65G (0x0000019F - 0x006012E0) motherboard (those are errors?)
Display name \\.\DISPLAY1 (but dunno why shows up this. I have a 22'' philips wide screen) and really wish to use it on 1680/1050
Name Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
Memory size 96 MB

TironN
April 14th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Hello! I am completely new here. After reading a lot in the past 3 or 4 weeks and solving problems with my ubuntu 9.10. Switching to 9.10 and so on...

Problem was my system. And a radeon hd 3650 512 mb 8x AGP. I just couldn't manage to make it work as I wished. As it works on windows.

EDITED:
P4i65G (0x0000019F - 0x006012E0) motherboard (those are errors?)
Display name \\.\DISPLAY1 (but dunno why shows up this. I have a 22'' philips wide screen) and really wish to use it on 1680/1050
Name Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
Memory size 96 MB

If you want a better distro thats still *buntu try Xubuntu. Its much lighter!

Karmic Alice
April 14th, 2010, 04:07 PM
If you want a better distro thats still *buntu try Xubuntu. Its much lighter!

Thanks a lot! But you know? It doesn't need to be *buntu. I was mentioning it because is the one I tried for more time. I'll go for anything that does what I posted before. And that have a eyecandy touch or easy interface. Is important to be user friendly to want to get to know it more and better (and use the terminal as a routine someday xD). Ubuntu did that (gnome) and is how I got to know about this forum that answered already many of my questions.

The point is I want to go for linux only. and NOT as an alternative. As I don't believe in learning while I'll have the easy way there to "tempt" me.

All I care is to be Alice-friendly :P and give its best (with my old stuff :P). And of course I can manage with less performance in SOME applications. I can even quit the msn/emesene thing. But what I can't remove is the online soccer (and online tv in general) and movies.

Any other suggestion? Right now searching for xubuntu.

ranch hand
April 14th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Or Lubuntu that is even lighter.

You will fine the newer to version the better it deals with older hardware as well as new hardware. Check the Live CD for 10.04 in Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu.

I would wait until it is released to install it. We are still getting over a 100Mb per day in updates in testing. Going to be a real nice OS.

Karmic Alice
April 14th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I'm downloading xubuntu 9.10. I freeup a HDD just for it. and I will wait for lubuntu also. The lucid release.

From what I read in the forum I had the idea OLDER is better (for old systems). Then why so many users were switching from karmic or lucid to 8.04? I guess I was mostly looking in the ati radeon hd 3650 PROBLEMS threads only. Maybe were just discontent users because of the incompatibility of ati hd and 9.10? As no radeon involved now... i will give a try to anything you will recommend me, guys!

jeflars
April 15th, 2010, 07:24 PM
After years of Win98/W2K I took the Ubuntu Linux 9.10 plunge as I had planned on for years.
Biggest issue: Moving from Outlook Express to (anything, I chose Thunderbird). To me the difficulty of moving the old email from the Windows environment to Linux is a deal killer for hoping the "average "user will make the change. Fortunately for me, I have had years of experience in the low levels of operating systems and that, in combination with many helpful posts on this forum and others, finally saw me through. The rest is EASY. There very few Windows only softwares I needed are running fine under Wine.

Don't use my system for gaming, so that is a non-issue. I do mostly technical work. We built a "gaming computer" just for that so as not to risk our real work on a gaming machine, and that machine runs XP.

My only complaint is I cannot use my Netflix account to view films, but that's a minor issue.
Moonlight didn't do it for me.

Overall I am delighted with my new and more powerful system.
Does everything I need and more.

Vega
April 15th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I've been using Ubuntu on and off since Hoary Hedgehog but I made a vow never to give up on it despite my need for Photoshop CS4 and now CS5 lol

I don't game much on my computer, I mostly play Left 4 Dead via Steam and I hear that is working quite nicely under wine.

I'm going to build a new computer soon with the intent of learning Linux without any slow downs, eventually I'll get to learn HTML 5 and other web languages.

I've been on Windows 7 since, but I recently learned that there's a b@ckdoor in Windows 7 that was jointly developed between MS and the NSofA so this is my main reason to switch to an open source operating system; an issue of privacy.

maddg3241
April 15th, 2010, 10:29 PM
I completely am switched no windows left. YEAH UBUNTU. (CAN'T WAIT TILL LUCID LYNX)

Karmic Alice
April 16th, 2010, 01:25 AM
me too. Thanks to xubuntu (and ill give a try to lubuntu 10 as recommended:)
I would just love to be a way to mark my configuration and go back to it if (and for sure) something will go wrong. Don't shoot @ me, ppl, but something like restoring the system or UNDO changes will be a bless. And I guess not only for the newbies... This is the reason why I failed so many times the challenge. Now I had time to install and reinstall (15 times in a month). But usually don't.

Thanks for the help provided 2 days ago!

toogooda
April 16th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I have a virtual machine for occasional work needs from home but have a good alternative for everything I used to use in XPee.

If you like games then get PS3 I do my gaming on console and Ubuntu for computing.

Pawbla
April 17th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Erased Windows and regretted it. Photoshop works awful with Wine. Also I have a problem with Ubuntu that prevents me from being able to install OpenOffice... but that can be solved with a virtual machine. Anyways, I hope that when I reinstall everything that gets solved.

Native Dialect
April 17th, 2010, 01:37 AM
I keep mulling over the thought of never using Windows again. There are a lot of benefits

- GNU/Linux is light weight: No more bloated installs that take hours. No unwanted software. Just basic functionality and productivity software (e.g. Open Office, Pidgin, Firefox).

- GNU/Linux is faster: Programs load faster. The entire OS boots up and shuts down faster.

- Compiz is superior to Windows Aero: For those who love to truly multi-task, Compiz not only helps the user maintain greater efficiency, it also helps reduce on screen clutter.

-Open source software: You can use commercial products and even closed products, but the culture of GNU/Linux is rife with FOSS (Free and Open Source Software). You can modify things to your hearts content. In fact, that alone may motivate a person to learn how to code or learn a language (e.g. Python). The user has full control over their software, so long as they are willing to put in the time to learn how to control it. Open source software is widely available for most platforms (Mac OSX, Windows, Linux distros...not too sure about Amiga OS 4.1). But without the cultural mindset, users of Mac and Windows environments, tend to only pay attention to commercial programs.

- You are the administrator: Why waste time setting up an admin account or a reduced privilege account, when you can maintain your dominion through your password? You can enter into admin mode through the terminal, to handle really sensitive tasks, and exit the terminal to end the admin status (root user status). Again, GNU/Linux keeps the power in your hands.

- Most major software has an Open Source alternative: Can't use Photoshop? Get familiar with GIMP. Miss Garage Band or Reason 3.0? Use Ardour. Need to use Microsoft Word or Excel documents? Use Open Office instead. Some of these alternatives will come with a learning curve (Ardour and GIMP), while others are essentially no different than what you are used to (Open Office).
----

There are a few cons though.

-Gaming: While there are a few commercial games (mostly from iD software) and plenty of note worthy open source games (Nexuiz, Glest, Frozen Bubble, Warsow, Saeurbrauten, Chromium BSU), the reality is, there are hardly any games for this platform. I dare say that there are more games on Mac OSX, than are on Linux. PC gamers from either camp, may be forced to keep a partition in order to get their gaming fix.

-Drivers: While every *nix distro has come a tremendous distance as far as drivers and compatibility, there are still a lot of issues that have to be resolved by the end user. This of course means a Linux guide/bible or time on google or even here on these forums. It also means learning sudo commands (among others) and getting familiar with the terminal. For the deeply geeky, venturous and the determined, it is all a part of the experience. For those used to the plug-n-play nature of Windows, it is perhaps too much to deal with, when Windows spoon feeds you all functionality with pre-installed generic drivers and exe files.

----

I am at a crux as far as gaming is concerned. It no longer entertains me as much as it used to. And rising costs make the hobby less and less appealing, the older I get (I am still in my twenties, in case you are wondering). Games, at this point, pretty much define the only reason a person would feel as though they "need" Windows. In terms of productivity software, GNU/Linux has you covered. Creative tools? Covered. Programming? Covered.

Still, part of me has become so used to running a Microsoft OS, that it seems difficult to part ways. Then again, my first computer was a Texas Instruments computer. My second, an Apple IIe. So my computing habits did not start off with Microsoft. Making the switch, once again, may not be as painful as I think. Now if only I could get Internet streaming movies to output over the HDMI sound channel on my Radeon HD3200. I'd be golden.

cornflake000
April 17th, 2010, 05:04 AM
In my house I run 5 servers and 3 personal computers. My house has been completely, totally and thoroughly expunged of M$ products including CD software for 4 years! I don't even know what it looks like anymore. I've never regretted it for one minute! On the contrary, I've never had more fun or ease of use for personal or business activities.

Lucid has been a perfect roll over for me as well. I've had no hitches even in beta testing. I may have been lucky with lucid so far... but maybe not!

Kazimieras
April 17th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Two programs were holding me back: Adobe Flash and CorelDraw.
Now I'm using Macromedia Flash MX with wine (Not so up-to-date, but it suits the main functions needed.
Unfortunetley, CorelDraw still holds me back to keeping Windows.

By the way, there's a useful tool to help Linux immigrants complete their switch:

http://alternatyvos.lt (http://alternatyvos.lt/index.php?k=en)

rudihawk
April 17th, 2010, 09:25 AM
In my house I run 5 servers and 3 personal computers. My house has been completely, totally and thoroughly expunged of M$ products including CD software for 4 years! I don't even know what it looks like anymore. I've never regretted it for one minute! On the contrary, I've never had more fun or ease of use for personal or business activities.

Lucid has been a perfect roll over for me as well. I've had no hitches even in beta testing. I may have been lucky with lucid so far... but maybe not!

That sounds awesome! :guitar:

Movie Wallpaper
April 17th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I hope to share information with you, thank you http;//movieswallpaper.org/

techn0mad
April 17th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I've been using Ubuntu as my primary desktop at home now for about six months. I have a Mac laptop that I use when I'm not in my office, and an XP laptop that I have to use for work. :(

I spent quite a while messing around with PC-BSD for a desktop, and then my BSD friend and guru said that he uses Linux or OS X for desktops now and leaves the BSD for servers. Once I heard this, I switched. I still have a few servers that run BSD, but then again, they are servers.

My desktop dual boots with Ubuntu and a beta copy of Windows 7 that is now crippled (It reboots every couple of hours, and in June it won't boot at all, apparently.) I have a couple of ham radio apps on it that aren't available for linux yet, despite my pestering the authors. Other than that, I don't need or use it. :)

sheepdog9090
April 17th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I am 100% Ubuntu. Learning slowly but learning Ubuntu (Linux) is better than "knowing" Windows, for me.

orphanlast
April 18th, 2010, 04:34 AM
I have never used windows XP. Seeing screenshots on the net, it looks awful! (So ugly and tacky that it seems to hold your attention - like not being able to look away from a mother scolding her children.)

I used to have win98 but I got rid of that in 2002. I first started with mandrake and it made me want to vomit. Debian Woody was released and I installed that. Six months later, it was the only OS on my copmuters.

When someone asks me to install linux on their computer, I instal Ubuntu because I am sick and tired of aswering everyone's questions. Ubuntu just works - or requires only minimal tweaking.

I can't say anything about dvd or video playing since I do not use my computer for that.

Ubuntu is the flagship of Linux right now. And compare it to windows 7 or Snow Leopard and it looks stupid as hell. I know you can customise it, but it just boggles my mind why they don't just make it look interesting and innovative to begin with... instead you have to download all sorts of junk and play with all sorts of menus and files to finally get it to look the way you want it too... and even then it might be glitchy as all hell.

I tried making this thing look more like Snow Leapard and it didn't even operate anything like it. It sure looked nice until you needed to use any of its functions. All the icons would move all funky.

Really, I just don't understand where the hype is with Linux stuff. It's pretty dang stupid. All the programs are sub par.

Take Gimp for example. Everyone praises Gimp for being so much like Photoshop. Its menus are limited. Its tools are limited. You're forced to obliterate and mutilate pixels. What I mean by that is simply this. There's no layer masks, so if you ever need to open a project up and take a new approach at it or just change some hues or whatever, you're better off starting from scratch. Also, with photoshop if you need to morph something, you don't just have to eye it with FILTERS>DISTORTIONS>IMORPH. You simply press CTRL+T right click. Sellect Morph and click and drag your selection to be in the shape it needs to be in without mutilating the pixels over and over again like you have to do with IMORPH. Seriously, the more you have to morph something over and over again, your pixels wind up looking retarded. How this program is even remotely similar to Photoshop is beyond me. They're not even in the same ballpark. GIMP is a moderate step up from paintbrush, but not by much.

And what if you want to get photoshop on your linux system... hmmm... like most programs, it probably won't work in the first place. It's amazing how I heard how wonderful Linux was... how it can play any program out there... I call BS. The only way you can run any program is if you already have a strong working knowledge of the system. Linux (and it's flagship Ubuntu) have light years to go in order to get the average user to not only want to use it but also to comprehend it. The interactions with Ubuntu aren't even close to being comprehensive.

Now... I would like to see Google Chrome OS do something with the Linux open source stuff. Maybe with the backing of one of the worlds biggest companies and having it develop some interesting stuff, maybe THEN Linux will wind up being all these things. But it's amazing how Linux is open source. How it invites creativity. How it invites people to unprecedented freedom, how I've heard of Linux ever since I was in middle school and I finally get it and it seems like it only has a few programs. People haven't even been working together to make it look or feel sleek, competent, or fun.

I made the switch to Linux. I don't have windows. I don't have Mac OS. And it's sad, because as much crap as Windows Vista gets... I really miss it. It ran more programs. I didn't have to struggle just to get Photoshop to work.... PHOTOSHOP! PHOTOSHOP!

COME ON PEOPLE. PHOTOSHOP! It's an industry standard! It works on both MS Windows and Apple computers. This isn't just because it's a nice little program and there's a demand for it. IT'S BECAUSE IT'S AN INDUSTRY STANDARD! And with so much freedom in this system, no one has though "Hmmm... maybe we should make it so that straight after someone installs a linux OS... maybe we should make it immediately capable to open windows programs and mac programs... most especially since there's so many industry standard programs for both.

You know. If the developers and the fans of Linux really wanted to talk up this operating system, then they'd be able to say that it'll open .exe files with a simple double click and the same with any standard file type for windows and mac.

Linux has no bragging rights as or yet... Not until it can safely say that.

snakeman21
April 18th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Ubuntu is the flagship of Linux right now. And compare it to windows 7 or Snow Leopard and it looks stupid as hell. I know you can customise it, but it just boggles my mind why they don't just make it look interesting and innovative to begin with... instead you have to download all sorts of junk and play with all sorts of menus and files to finally get it to look the way you want it too... and even then it might be glitchy as all hell.

I tried making this thing look more like Snow Leapard and it didn't even operate anything like it. It sure looked nice until you needed to use any of its functions. All the icons would move all funky.

Really, I just don't understand where the hype is with Linux stuff. It's pretty dang stupid. All the programs are sub par.

Take Gimp for example. Everyone praises Gimp for being so much like Photoshop. Its menus are limited. Its tools are limited. You're forced to obliterate and mutilate pixels. What I mean by that is simply this. There's no layer masks, so if you ever need to open a project up and take a new approach at it or just change some hues or whatever, you're better off starting from scratch. Also, with photoshop if you need to morph something, you don't just have to eye it with FILTERS>DISTORTIONS>IMORPH. You simply press CTRL+T right click. Sellect Morph and click and drag your selection to be in the shape it needs to be in without mutilating the pixels over and over again like you have to do with IMORPH. Seriously, the more you have to morph something over and over again, your pixels wind up looking retarded. How this program is even remotely similar to Photoshop is beyond me. They're not even in the same ballpark. GIMP is a moderate step up from paintbrush, but not by much.

And what if you want to get photoshop on your linux system... hmmm... like most programs, it probably won't work in the first place. It's amazing how I heard how wonderful Linux was... how it can play any program out there... I call BS. The only way you can run any program is if you already have a strong working knowledge of the system. Linux (and it's flagship Ubuntu) have light years to go in order to get the average user to not only want to use it but also to comprehend it. The interactions with Ubuntu aren't even close to being comprehensive.

Now... I would like to see Google Chrome OS do something with the Linux open source stuff. Maybe with the backing of one of the worlds biggest companies and having it develop some interesting stuff, maybe THEN Linux will wind up being all these things. But it's amazing how Linux is open source. How it invites creativity. How it invites people to unprecedented freedom, how I've heard of Linux ever since I was in middle school and I finally get it and it seems like it only has a few programs. People haven't even been working together to make it look or feel sleek, competent, or fun.

I made the switch to Linux. I don't have windows. I don't have Mac OS. And it's sad, because as much crap as Windows Vista gets... I really miss it. It ran more programs. I didn't have to struggle just to get Photoshop to work.... PHOTOSHOP! PHOTOSHOP!

COME ON PEOPLE. PHOTOSHOP! It's an industry standard! It works on both MS Windows and Apple computers. This isn't just because it's a nice little program and there's a demand for it. IT'S BECAUSE IT'S AN INDUSTRY STANDARD! And with so much freedom in this system, no one has though "Hmmm... maybe we should make it so that straight after someone installs a linux OS... maybe we should make it immediately capable to open windows programs and mac programs... most especially since there's so many industry standard programs for both.

You know. If the developers and the fans of Linux really wanted to talk up this operating system, then they'd be able to say that it'll open .exe files with a simple double click and the same with any standard file type for windows and mac.

Linux has no bragging rights as or yet... Not until it can safely say that.

You're mad because linux won't run all windows programs. Of course it won't, it's an entirely different system. But it can run a lot of windows programs. How many linux programs can windows run?

d3v1150m471c
April 18th, 2010, 04:45 AM
You could try virtualbox. If you don't want to delete windows then don't do it. You don't have to please the community, just yourself.

ranch hand
April 18th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Really the best thing to do would be to wipe your drive and install windows and be happy.

Jlb181
April 18th, 2010, 05:06 AM
I have not used Windows on any of my machines for more then a year. I have helped several people install Ubuntu on there machines and they are using it (exclusively, I don't know.) But one interesting story about that is, another person that helped someone install Ubuntu didn't know about Ubuntu. He builds cheap computers for people who can't afford them, but he had to pay for a license every time he installed M.S. Windows on one of the machines. Now he has switched to Ubuntu! I thought that was a cool deal for everyone involved. I'm glad I was able to help bring Ubuntu to the area!

orphanlast
April 18th, 2010, 06:03 AM
You're mad because linux won't run all windows programs. Of course it won't, it's an entirely different system. But it can run a lot of windows programs. How many linux programs can windows run?

That's kind of missing the point. People love to brag about how Linux can run any program be it from Microsoft or Apple. And that's just an out and out lie. And with the freedom open source developers have, we have to look at Wine and wonder, wtf is that. I mean... that's the best it has to offer?

The developers for Wine admit it's not an emulator for windows and it's only intended to open SOME windows programs... and that's like having the developers for a calculator say that they have this interesting calculator, but it's not supposed to answer all your questions. You can type down whatever problem you want in it, but the equals button only works at random... what programmer would be smoking that much weed that it would occur to them that this sort of thinking would be a "good move".

Besides, Mac OS CAN run every Microsoft program. So... ... ... Why can't Linux keep up with Mac on that regard?

What linux users like to brag about is "COOL FREE LINUX PROGRAMS!" But there's not nearly as many and hardly any of them work very well. Take openoffice.org, the word processor that comes standard with Ubuntu. Yeah... glitchy as all hell. I was typing down notes in it, working with indentations, numbers, bullets and all of a sudden I was able to press backspace to the point to where my marker (the blinking cursor that indicates where you have in the document selected to type at... yeah...) it drifted off the page and I could magically type on nothing for a little while.

And people like to say how you can talk directly with the developers. That would be cool, if they'd actually respond and acknowledge your existence like their websites say they will... sure, windows doesn't do that... but we're talking about open source. We're talking about thousands of people that love programming as their hobby and work, people that want to see their operating system do something that they know Microsoft and Apple will never do to make things more convenient... and THIS is what you come out with.

Instead of a crowd of cheering people, I just hear crickets.

And... most programs ARE for windows so why would they run many things from Linux, in the first place? I've spent the last two days trying to get into programming. I thought that since there's so much liberty given to Linux in its open source format that most things dealing with programming would be geared towards Linux... I thought there's be this frenzy of developers loving away at Linux so it'd all be right there! Instead I found one program after another (most often a compiler) that was only compatible with Windows. It took extra long for me to find one programming tool for Linux and even longer to find the most commonly used ones. lol. And even then, all the tutorials are geared towards the compilers and etc. that are designed for Windows.

With such freedom, why is MICROSOFT the big dog on campus with all their restrictions? Why are they the standard for programming? Why are THEY endorsed by so many?

And even though they are, that shouldn't even be a problem... again, people have the freedom of programming Linux to do anything that they'd like to see in their OS do... Well... Why haven't they?

I'm still waiting to be impressed.

Like... Linux can't even keep up with the industry standard programs. You'd think they'd at least make it so that the industry standard programs would be easy to place on the Linux.

orphanlast
April 18th, 2010, 06:41 AM
... I'm sorry...

I've just spend a few weeks hashing it out with Ubuntu, trying to be calm and try to enjoy it for what it is. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

I'm trying to get virtual box on this thing right now...

Is there a thread where people recommend their favourite programs that get Ubuntu to look and run really nice? Because, I've been hashing this out and looking at Google and posting an occasional question here and there on this forum when I can't find answers... I don't want to bother people with all sorts of stupid questions. But I'm also tired of trying to figure this all out on my own.

I like the security Linux brings, but... I feel like I'm very limited. Vista really did have some irritating things on it, but I never had to research vista as much as I've had to delve into Linux.

It's seriously a none stop process of researching away to get Linux to be what you want it to be.

exkend
April 18th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Very interesting summary of GNU/Linux and what it offers. I agree with in so much as many of the programs are not as polished and user friendly as various other software. Your comparison with gimp and ps seems to be a very old and worn-out argument/description of the differences between the two of them. Once you get used to new layouts they are as good as anything on windows or osx.
However I am struck by the fact that you have not mentioned any positive qualities about GNU/Linux or oss. I have tried running only ubuntu but have come across various stability issues that have lead me to reluctantly hang onto vista. I would like to point out that my experiences have lead me to the inescapable conclusion that vista is far less secure and stable then ubuntu. I'm hoping that 10.04 will offer more.
I work in a secondary school would like to point out that presentation and ease of use is extremely important for new users. This year seems to be the one for new interfaces for gimp, blender, open office, firefox and gnome amongst others. That might be the break into mainstream that everyone is looking for.

orphanlast
April 18th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Well, I have a co-worker that says that no one really wants to hack into linux because it's the same sort of stable programming that the government uses. I like that. And I know that it's not likely that my computer will crash with Linux. That's awesome that's one of the reasons I switched.

I'm also surprised that I don't have to deal with drivers. I haven't heard any complaints about Gimp and Photoshop. If I'm repeating any other people's arguments, it's not meant to be cliché but a genuine concern. I WILL have photoshop and Illustrator on my computer, one way or another.

I'm hoping that 10.04 will offer more.

I've heard that the creator of Ubuntu plans on having Ubuntu as user friendly and sleek as Mac OS within two years. And with Ubuntu getting an upgrade once every 6 months, I'd say that might be a possibility... Especially since they're talking directly with Google as they're developing Chrome OS to ensure that it's compatible. Once Google is on board, I'm thinking Linux will take on a completely different form.

Although I'm not a fan of how glitchy many of the programs are, it's nice to see so many of them right there from the get-go... I just wish I didn't have to abandon all my industry standard programs... In fact, I won't... I guess I'll just have to run them all on Virtualbox... which is goin' ghetto style just to try and be happy with Linux.

I still don't understand how Linux isn't the flagship of development since it's all open source and offers so much freedom.

node8472
April 18th, 2010, 08:05 AM
to snakeman Ubuntu is not the "flagship" of linux it's just one of the most popular distros (and easiest to learn coming from windows) if you want Ps on linux don't blame wine or linux you should turn around and look at ADOBE period they make the programs yet they don't support linux in any form and they're flashplayer for linux is horribly crippled. (its the same for games people it isn't that linux can't game it's that games don't support linux) and Chrome OS isn't going to get you Ps it is most likly going to a linux kernel and a lightweight UI and all its apps will be cloud or internet based.

Orphanlast (snakman this goes for you to) the only thing keeping linux in the underground is microsuck and their underhanded contracts they forced on major companies that build our computers (HP, ACER, TOSHIBA, etc)
Red Hat is the best example that you can have a linux product and still make money on it!

as for the orignal question of this thread, im going to wipe the unused xp partition from my drive really soon (i may keep an 80GB hd around to run Ps native thou I haven't had too much trouble with it in a vm) and once lightworks is availble on linux i'll have a sweet video editor and won't need windows for anything but wiping my @$$

AussieGuy
April 18th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I've used linux exclusively for about 15 years - since kernel 0.99, when slackware was distributed on 1.44Mb floppy disks.

-A.

jkxx
April 18th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Been using various Linux (and BSD) flavors since about 1999. Unfortunately I've had to have Windows too thanks to hardware and gaming related problems.

I still don't understand how Linux isn't the flagship of development since it's all open source and offers so much freedom.

Linux IS the flagship of development in the world of open-source software, mainly by being an OS that practically every open project supports. Thus with Linux you get access to more open software than with any other system.

If you're asking why it isn't a top priority for big software houses, then your question has the answer in part. Too much freedom, which those companies would not like you to have. Many big companies expect to be able to keep tabs on you (phone home, watch what you do with their software or other software for that matter, etc) which simply isn't what free software is about. That's why they kind of look at it with disgust, Microsoft in particular is known for such a view.

MattTastic
April 18th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Been using GNU Debian Linux for about 3 years. I do a bit of web development on the side so I keep windows around to make sure IE is displaying the website constantly (mostly in Vbox).

I keep an XP partition because I have a variety of college programs that need 3d hardware accelerations to run properly. Vbox lets me down there. But I am not complaining in the least bit, I haven't use a piece of illegal software in god knows how long! Whenever I used to use my computer a little tinge of paranoia always followed me around. Ubuntu has really cleared my conscience!

snakeman21
April 18th, 2010, 06:26 PM
to snakeman Ubuntu is not the "flagship" of linux it's just one of the most popular distros (and easiest to learn coming from windows) if you want Ps on linux don't blame wine or linux you should turn around and look at ADOBE period they make the programs yet they don't support linux in any form and they're flashplayer for linux is horribly crippled. (its the same for games people it isn't that linux can't game it's that games don't support linux) and Chrome OS isn't going to get you Ps it is most likly going to a linux kernel and a lightweight UI and all its apps will be cloud or internet based.

Orphanlast (snakman this goes for you to) the only thing keeping linux in the underground is microsuck and their underhanded contracts they forced on major companies that build our computers (HP, ACER, TOSHIBA, etc)
Red Hat is the best example that you can have a linux product and still make money on it!

as for the orignal question of this thread, im going to wipe the unused xp partition from my drive really soon (i may keep an 80GB hd around to run Ps native thou I haven't had too much trouble with it in a vm) and once lightworks is availble on linux i'll have a sweet video editor and won't need windows for anything but wiping my @$$

Ummm...I NEVER said Ubuntu was the flagship of Linux, and I NEVER said I wanted Photoshop... I dislike Photoshop in general... I think you have me confused with someone else... I use Linux exclusively, without even a virtual machine for windows. I have no complaints about Ubuntu except for Netflix "watch instantly" not working.

Reread the posts, and you'll notice that I was not one of the people criticizing Linux... Quite the contrary.

Native Dialect
April 18th, 2010, 08:29 PM

COME ON PEOPLE. PHOTOSHOP! It's an industry standard! It works on both MS Windows and Apple computers. This isn't just because it's a nice little program and there's a demand for it. IT'S BECAUSE IT'S AN INDUSTRY STANDARD!

1) You chose to switch. You know the situation, so why complain? It would be like switching form GNU/Linux to Windows and complaining about the closed source nature of the OS.

2) A very wise person once told me that, "only a poor workman, blames his tools."

Even though GIMP does not have all of the inherent features of Photoshop, you can

a) Most likely find a way to use the existing tools to achieve similar effects

b) Use more than one tool to create a piece

c) Modify the program yourself, so that it can have the features you want. It is open source after all.

ranch hand
April 18th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Native Dialect
Well put.

I have never used PS, haven't even seen it. I do know that for editing image files (photo touch up) I could do no better in PS even assuming it is better.

Why? Because Gimp is a better photo editor than I am.

I am starting to wonder if the whiny troll is like the gal that was on here several months ago (who made no attempt to hide the fact she worked for MS) basically advertising Win7. Maybe Adobe is worried too.

Native Dialect
April 18th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Some people are never happy. I can understand people who are new, they try out Linux, it baffles them, and they get upset because things are not working, or they think they wiped their windows partition. I was like that when I first started out. And I see lots of posts like that in the general section. But to have as many posts as they have, and to complain so vehemently, is really a waste of time.

On that note, I want to address the notion of the craftsman not blaming his tools. I am by no means a digital artist, but I do make use of some light weight software, to do minor editing. Here is a wallpaper I found on Warner Bros. web page

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8135/trt1024x768wallpaper2.jpg

Now here is the edited version I created using MSPAINT. Yes, MSPAINT. Nothing advanced. The tool set in that program is comparable to something from the 1980s. Yet, through clever craft, I was able to achieve, this

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6760/trickrtreat.jpg

I am not a professional. I only used MSPAINT and no other tools. Yet, I was able to edit out the promotional text that (as far as I am concerned) ruins the wallpaper. I can only dream of what I could accomplish in GIMP, as far as professional work, let alone leisure work.

ranch hand
April 18th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I am really new to Linux and Ubuntu myself. My join date on this forum is from 3 weeks before installing Ubuntu 8.04 (first Linux and still on here if not used a lot).

If you want to see stupid posts look at my early ones.

You will not see any complaining about not having MS. I owe those folks at MS a lot. If we hadn't bought this box with Vista, which proved to be a down grade from 98, we would still be using MS. So I am grateful to them for shoving me into Ubuntu and Linux.

The easiest way to cure booting problems with Linux and MS products is to remove MS. This also closes a lot of security holes and makes your use of the computer a lot less stressful and more FUN.

DangerOnTheRanger
April 18th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Been using Ubuntu ever since the release of Jaunty. Although I still use a Windows system from time to time for gaming. :(

Madstan23
April 19th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I am looking forward to the day when I no longer need to use windows. Hopefully that day is soon. Please god let it be soon.

tuddy666
April 19th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Been using Linux in general since mid 2006 (started out with Fedora, then moved on to OpenSuse, then Ubuntu after the 7.04 release), though only bothered to switch completely (from Windows, for the record) after the release of Karmic. Linux in general has matured over the past few years, and I honestly see Ubuntu (along with a few other distros) as a viable choice for an "average" user, provided they're not bothered about losing functionality in a few areas (gaming and... not a lot else, really).

Native Dialect
April 20th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I agree Tuddy. Gaming is really the only loss that happens, when one chooses to switch to GNU/Linux. And even then, there are Linux games and the use of WINE. On a professional level, there may be less room for switching. Some industries are highly rooted in standards (as far as software). But if you can find an open source alternative that allows you to do the same job, then there is really little reason to feel that Windows is necessary.

ladypcer
April 20th, 2010, 09:21 PM
I'd be able to totally switch if Yahoo Games supported Linux. :(
I keep XP on a separate hard drive and now only use it to play my games.

-humanaut-
April 21st, 2010, 12:47 AM
I haven't used windows in years I used Red Hat when it was still boxed Then Slack then Ubuntu dapper then slack again then Arch then Debian Testing then sidux then Debian testing then Ubuntu Lucid <- My fav distro of all time now Lucid lynx is amazing

d3v1150m471c
April 21st, 2010, 12:53 AM
I wouldn't recommend anyone "completely" switching to Linux until they know how it'll work on their particular computer. I've installed various versions of Ubuntu on my several computers and friends computers alike. Sometimes it's perfect and other times it's a constant work in progress. You cannot always trust the live cd to give an accurate indication as to how it will function. Best bet, install a distro to an external HD to get the full effect of what can go wrong and decide if it's worth dealing with. Other than that, **** on windows.

cgroza
April 21st, 2010, 12:59 AM
I did a few weeks ago and I don't miss games because i have minesweeper, sudoku, and openarena ( call me crazy, those games are everything i need).

Native Dialect
April 21st, 2010, 03:07 AM
I'd be able to totally switch if Yahoo Games supported Linux. :(
I keep XP on a separate hard drive and now only use it to play my games.

You should never feel that you have to completely switch. That is a false dichotomy (also known as a false dilemma). A person should always use the best tools that are made available to them. Get the most out of your computer, even if that means having to use Windows.

The flip side however, is that a person may desire to have a single operating system, rather than many. After all, it consumes additional hard drive space (usually a 10GB premium), to maintain an additional operating system. There are also those who have a preference for a particular platform, and others who simply switch, because they have had too many negative experiences with the product they have already been using.

But you should never feel that you have to use one or the other. Heck, I've been trying to hunt down a Pegasos, just so I can run AmigaOS 4.1. I currently dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.1.. If I wind up getting an older Mac Mini (they are the only PowerPC Mac, that can run Amiga OS4), I may even keep Mac OSX Tiger. Then again, I love tinkering with different operating systems. But like I said, why limit yourself to just one?

goatgonads
April 21st, 2010, 07:04 AM
EVERYONE agrees that gaming is the loss, yet it seems to be the last thing that anyone is concerned with, why!!!

ranch hand
April 21st, 2010, 07:48 AM
EVERYONE agrees that gaming is the loss, yet it seems to be the last thing that anyone is concerned with, why!!!
Well, that is a question.

I don't even know how to play a game, have never done it, never want to.

I do, however realize that there is such a thing as consoles for playing games. There are better things to do with a computer than that.

goatgonads
April 22nd, 2010, 04:48 AM
The one factor driving computers to the bleeding edge is... gaming! You do not need a quad core processor to edit a text document, or a bunch of ram, let alone a video card.

ranch hand
April 22nd, 2010, 05:10 AM
This is true to an extent. There is a lot of science actually done on computers, believe it or not.

Right now all four of my cores are working at 99 to 100% as I sit here typing on 10.04-testing. The reason is I have boinc installed to do hardcore number crunching which is the hardest thing a box sill ever do.

Gaming boxes are an excellent choice for this, in spite of having over powered video cards.

Video cards are, as you say, pretty much inspired by games.

There are other, more important, things also driving the development of brute power.

I would encourage you to look into boinc, by the way. It can be configured t oonly work when you are not doing anything on your box.

I would also recommend the World Community Grid as a good source of work units. There are several others.

Boinc is in the repos. It is also available from boinc in newer versions. They all work well and give you a chance to donate unused cycles to research that is important to you.

goatgonads
April 22nd, 2010, 05:59 AM
What exactly does it do, if you don't mind me asking?

ranch hand
April 22nd, 2010, 06:41 AM
The boinc concept was developed by IBM to give (open) research groups to have the super computer poser that they can not afford.

The cross platform program allows most computers to work on little bits of huge calculations. Cancer research, Seti, AIDs research, all sorts of research groups use this program to break up there calculations and distribute it throughout the world to 100s of thousands of computers (lots of cpus just like a super computer) where the bits of calculation are done and sent back.

To qualify the researchers must be willing to release all their findings to the public domain.

A better place to find information is;

https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

Another thing that it does is really stress an OS. I like to test the pre release Ubuntu OS'. You run boinc as hard as a stable version will handle and anything that is going to crash will.

I run on 9.04 when I am asleep so that nothing crashes when I will not find it for a long time. the system monitor applet looks the same there as here on 10.04 as you can see in the screen shot. It winds the bugger right up. (upper right blue box - blue indicating usage)

gallifrey
April 23rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
4 or 5 months with no MS products, and never looking back. I have some decent machines, and Ubuntu works like a dream on all of them (-1 which is OpenBSD/OpenSolaris dual boot).

I love the flexibility and configurability of *nix OSes, something I never had with Windows.

ranch hand
April 23rd, 2010, 04:41 PM
4 or 5 months with no MS products, and never looking back. I have some decent machines, and Ubuntu works like a dream on all of them (-1 which is OpenBSD/OpenSolaris dual boot).

I love the flexibility and configurability of *nix OSes, something I never had with Windows.
Just amazing isn't it how much fun using a computer can be if you have a real OS on it?

Dragonbite
April 23rd, 2010, 04:57 PM
Just amazing isn't it how much fun using a computer can be if you have a real OS on it?

I've spent so much time fiddling, tweaking and re-installing Linux but now I'm doing some basic web programming and it is fun too.

It took a bit to get it set up, but that is in part learning the system in a capacity I didn't use it before.

Now, I'm just having fun with this project and getting something done! I'm looking forward to see what else I can do! Today, PHP.. tomorrow Python?

Native Dialect
April 23rd, 2010, 05:40 PM
The one factor driving computers to the bleeding edge is... gaming! You do not need a quad core processor to edit a text document, or a bunch of ram, let alone a video card.

1) Do not feel compelled to rely solely on Linux, if it does not meet your needs or all of your needs. It is always great if a person can find everything they need, in one package, but that may not always be the case.

2) Linux does have games that benefit from powerful processors. Not many games mind you, but they have a few. Nexuiz, Doom 3, Quake Wars etc.

3) Video cards are useful for things beyond gaming. Smooth functionality of Compiz Fusion, requires a video card. Watching true High Definition video, requires a video card (one that can decode H.264 video files). Even Hulu benefits from having a powerful video card, and their programs only support 480p. Gaming undoubtedly drives the GPU market, but GPUs are useful for a wide range of actions.

Zyonin
April 23rd, 2010, 07:08 PM
I had previously posted in this thread #6289 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8820080&postcount=6289). At that time, I had for the most part switched however in the past few months that has progressed to completely switched. Anything that I could do with Windows now can be down with Linux (except games but that is a hardware issue and I don't expect support for ancient hardware. Besides that is a good crowbar to open up my wife's purse to pay for a rebuild of this PC :D). Even better, I can customize my OS/user experience anyway I want (and not affect the other users of this PC: the wife and my kid).

When I first started with Ubuntu, I was not familiar with the CLI. Being told that I had to compile something would have caused me to say "Uh, no thanks, I will just find another app". While I could make changes in xml files, messing with text based config files would have cause me to pause and reconsider.

Now, I have no issues with the CLI and usually use it grab stuff from a repo (I find that is faster to go the CLI route). Compiling something? "Is there anything special that needs to be done? Nope, OK. Let's see ./configure, make, sudo make install". Text based config? "SciTE where are you, we have work that needs to get done!"

I have went from a standard Ubuntu install to one based on Openbox (customized of course) that runs lean and mean plus works the way I do. I am playing with conky for some onscreen info and starting to tinker with python for small scripts. Yet I can still dungeon crawl (my D2 Necromancer is waiting for me), work on graphic creations (The Gimp and I get along and I am learning how to boss Inkscape around).

Even if I switch to another distro, I am firmly in the Linux camp and now use Linux 100%.

tilixibr
April 23rd, 2010, 08:24 PM
All our home laptops are now Windows-free \\:D/, too bad one of them broke for being overheated over 10 times, it won't survive 10 seconds before the processor loses contact with the motherboard =/, making the screen black out and not even the hold-power-for-5-seconds rule works =\

franc00018
April 23rd, 2010, 11:32 PM
I use windows XP in Virtualbox for office 2007 (VBA doesn't work with wine) and FullTiltPoker, except that, I had some windows on my HD from time to time but I mainly use Ubuntu Linux since Breezy

nl4m
April 24th, 2010, 06:38 AM
My first "computer" was a Webtv. I LOVED it. It did not have any viruses, spyware, and it was stable. Soon after I got bindows. Ever since I turned it on it was problem, after problem. Virus, after virus. Glitches, freezes, blue screens(TM), setting changed all the time, and it was SLOW. After using bindows for one year I never wanted to touch a PC again. Now after a year of using Linux I am addicted. All I talk about is Linux. All the books I buy are about Linux. I spend most of my free time learn commands. Linux has opened up a whole new world for me. I LOVE computers now. How can something this Great not have a price tag? While micro$oft charges so much for their inconsistencies. Guess you can't put a price on greatness :)

I have not touched bindows in the last year. Many of my friends have complimented vista 7 and how great it works. To give it a try I download and install the RC version of the OS. Having been a Linux user for so long I forgot how poorly bindows preformed. When I booted into bindows 7 I was expecting the same stability and performance as I got with Linux. After using it for a few minutes the background goes belly up. I cannot get anything to be displayed as the background. I try to reboot the computer hoping that will fix the problem. I get the "Shutting down" message, wait a while and nothing happens. I go take a shower, make myself tea, drink the tea, come back more then 30 minutes later to find that bindows is still "shutting down". I held the power button til it turned off, rebooted the system only to get the black screen of death(TM). It was then that I truly found out about the improvements micro$oft has made. They added the Black screen of death(TM). The blue screen of death(TM) is not alone anymore. By the time windows 8 comes out these screens of death(TM) would have mated to create multi-colored screens of death(TM). Guess windows 8 was my... prediction. ha ha ha.

Koobelakahn
April 24th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I cannot switch to Linux entirely for 2 reasons, and 2 reasons alone
1) My iPod touch: I cannot put music and video on it with Linux, due to a lack of an iTunes that has been ported to Linux. I would just get an iPod Video, but iPod touches are just so fun :D . If someone would write a Linux O/S for the iPod touch, that would be AMAZING. I would so use it.

2)School. I cannot access myitlab.com, because myitlab and M$ have a special, profiteering friendship. You cannot access it with a good, secure, stable, fast browser. Only the buggy, slow, unsecure, virus riddled piece of $*@# we call "Internet Explorer"

Except for these 2 things, I use Linux wholeheartedly.

(on a random note: is iTunes open source or no? I know that Mac os x is technically open source, so wouldnt itunes be?)

Dragonbite
April 24th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I cannot switch to Linux entirely for 2 reasons, and 2 reasons alone
1) My iPod touch: I cannot put music and video on it with Linux, due to a lack of an iTunes that has been ported to Linux. I would just get an iPod Video, but iPod touches are just so fun :D . If someone would write a Linux O/S for the iPod touch, that would be AMAZING. I would so use it.

2)School. I cannot access myitlab.com, because myitlab and M$ have a special, profiteering friendship. You cannot access it with a good, secure, stable, fast browser. Only the buggy, slow, unsecure, virus riddled piece of $*@# we call "Internet Explorer"

Except for these 2 things, I use Linux wholeheartedly.

(on a random note: is iTunes open source or no? I know that Mac os x is technically open source, so wouldnt itunes be?)

Have you tried with the latest Banshee? There's been a lot of talk about that being supported although they've found the caveat is that it first has to be connected to iTunes to set up the database but afterwards Banshee will work.

As for myitlab.com, well STBY (sucks to be you)!

I would faint if iTunes was open source! That is one of the last things I would expect to be open sourced by Apple. I don't think OS X kernel is open source, I think they offer an open source version of the kernel used in OS X (and according to the mailing list's activity, nobody uses it).

klemes
April 24th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I have completely switched to Linux a long while ago.The only deviation from that is a Vista partition that has been kept in my laptop that came pre-installed in it but I don't use it any more at all rather than just doing only maintainence work on it.I just boot it occasionally to install the latest updates and off I go rebooting in my favorite OS.Proven handy though for some specialized proprietary software - running only in Windows of course....:((mainly used for firmware upgrade of cell phones PDA's and stuff like that).:guitar:
I also admit I like the Vista GUI and the uniformity of the OS throughout else I would be getting rid of it completely,but I would not go any further than this. I simply refuse to use it for any serious work which is reserved for my main OS which at the moment is Ubuntu 10.4 Lucid Lynx RC and I am soooooo....
satisfied with it!!!:)

Max Derner
April 25th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I switched to ubuntu entirely when vista messed up my hard drive to the point I needed a new one. It kept crashing and I had to hard shut down a couple of times.

I also bought a new laptop with windows 7 on, by default. I thought I'd give it a try and I could only take 10 minutes of it, then I shut it down and installed ubuntu.

My computers don't have a trace of windows on them. Including stickers :)

ranch hand
April 25th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I switched to ubuntu entirely when vista messed up my hard drive to the point I needed a new one. It kept crashing and I had to hard shut down a couple of times.

I also bought a new laptop with windows 7 on, by default. I thought I'd give it a try and I could only take 10 minutes of it, then I shut it down and installed ubuntu.

My computers don't have a trace of windows on them. Including stickers :)
I see that, like me, you owe the folks at MS a beer, or at least thanks for their fine OS'.

If they had not improved theirs to Vista I would still be using that crap too. Nice of them to encourage folks to try something different. I thank them for it.

factotum218
April 25th, 2010, 07:23 PM
That's kind of missing the point. People love to brag about how Linux can run any program be it from Microsoft or Apple. And that's just an out and out lie. And with the freedom open source developers have, we have to look at Wine and wonder, wtf is that. I mean... that's the best it has to offer?

The developers for Wine admit it's not an emulator for windows and it's only intended to open SOME windows programs... and that's like having the developers for a calculator say that they have this interesting calculator, but it's not supposed to answer all your questions. You can type down whatever problem you want in it, but the equals button only works at random... what programmer would be smoking that much weed that it would occur to them that this sort of thinking would be a "good move".

Besides, Mac OS CAN run every Microsoft program. So... ... ... Why can't Linux keep up with Mac on that regard?

What linux users like to brag about is "COOL FREE LINUX PROGRAMS!" But there's not nearly as many and hardly any of them work very well. Take openoffice.org, the word processor that comes standard with Ubuntu. Yeah... glitchy as all hell. I was typing down notes in it, working with indentations, numbers, bullets and all of a sudden I was able to press backspace to the point to where my marker (the blinking cursor that indicates where you have in the document selected to type at... yeah...) it drifted off the page and I could magically type on nothing for a little while.

And people like to say how you can talk directly with the developers. That would be cool, if they'd actually respond and acknowledge your existence like their websites say they will... sure, windows doesn't do that... but we're talking about open source. We're talking about thousands of people that love programming as their hobby and work, people that want to see their operating system do something that they know Microsoft and Apple will never do to make things more convenient... and THIS is what you come out with.

Instead of a crowd of cheering people, I just hear crickets.

And... most programs ARE for windows so why would they run many things from Linux, in the first place? I've spent the last two days trying to get into programming. I thought that since there's so much liberty given to Linux in its open source format that most things dealing with programming would be geared towards Linux... I thought there's be this frenzy of developers loving away at Linux so it'd all be right there! Instead I found one program after another (most often a compiler) that was only compatible with Windows. It took extra long for me to find one programming tool for Linux and even longer to find the most commonly used ones. lol. And even then, all the tutorials are geared towards the compilers and etc. that are designed for Windows.

With such freedom, why is MICROSOFT the big dog on campus with all their restrictions? Why are they the standard for programming? Why are THEY endorsed by so many?

And even though they are, that shouldn't even be a problem... again, people have the freedom of programming Linux to do anything that they'd like to see in their OS do... Well... Why haven't they?

I'm still waiting to be impressed.

Like... Linux can't even keep up with the industry standard programs. You'd think they'd at least make it so that the industry standard programs would be easy to place on the Linux.

Then get off your *** and fix it, genius!

What area of OOP do you specialize in to help with the progress of these supposed short comings you rant about?

Funny, instead of cheering I hear crickets.

snakeman21
April 25th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Then get off your *** and fix it, genius!

What area of OOP do you specialize in to help with the progress of these supposed short comings you rant about?

Funny, instead of cheering I hear crickets.

Crickets? What crickets? I don't hear any--Oh, there they are.

texaswriter
April 26th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Although all of my computers are dual-boots, I almost exclusively use Linux. An exception is for games that don't run well or install easily and other programs that are Windows exclusive.

I would say greater than 95% of my computing is done in Linux.

The game I am currently playing, NWN2 is on Windows. I want to play around with playing it on Linux through the installed version on Windows. But I haven't been that bored in months :-P

:lolflag:

Dragonbite
April 26th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Ok, I want Visual Studio to run on a Mac natively.. no virtualization or paralells, I want it native. It IS an "industry standard" you know.

Oh, and Paint.NET because I don't want to spend the money on Photoshop.

And don't forget, I have all of my Windows programs for Windows.. will those run on a Mac or do I have to pay for those separately?

No, the Mac OS canNOT run every Microsoft program, only the ones Microsoft develops for them.

It also goes the other way around; does Mac's iWork and iMovie and iPhoto and Xcode run on Windows? Why not? How can Apple hope to compete if they don't?

Microsoft doesn't allow programs to run on Linux but Open Source developers are resourceful and have found ways around it; WINE, visualization or develop their own which, ironically, is usually ported BACK to Windows (Gimp, Inkscape, Pidgin, and more).

And... most programs ARE for windows so why would they run many things from Linux, in the first place?

I don't mind the programs for Windows... I just don't like Windows.

Dude! If you want something that walks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck then get a duck (Windows)! Me, I prefer a swan (Linux).

marcellux
April 27th, 2010, 05:03 PM
@factotum218 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=9792)

hi! have you tried with VirtualBox OSE? that's the one I am using and my laptop is way older and slower than yours! maybe the problem is, the windows copy you've got is corrupt. did you try with another one?

cheers

uniquename999
April 27th, 2010, 07:18 PM
The one piece of software that keeps me from switching completely
is U.S. tax software --- specifically Turbotax.

I have documented my good (and bad) experiences with Linux
--- and the apps that I found to replace what I used on MS Windoze
--- in a web page titled ...

Ubuntu install notes --- on netbook & desktops

I have documented my experiences (and 'issues' encountered) during
installs of Ubuntu (9.04 and 9.10) --- on a netbook (Acer) and two desktops
(Dell and home-assembled).

Here is the link

http://www.subdude-site.com/WebPages...lls_blaise.htm (http://www.subdude-site.com/WebPages_Local/RefInfo/Computer/Linux/UbuntuInstalls/ubuntu_installs_blaise.htm)

It is a quite long set of notes, so there is a link at the top that gives an overview.

I think these notes should be of help to 'newbies' as well as to others.

In particular, at the bottom of the page is a summary that gives
an overview of the applications that I have found useful and capable
and stable.

A few other topics covered:

- several things that have probably sent tens (if not 100s) of 1000s
of Linux-attempters scurrying back to MS-Windoze

- some things that Gnome/kernel/Ubuntu developers could do to
eliminate some of that scurrying

- why I prefer Gnome-Ubuntu (rather than UNR or KDE) on my netbook

- some Nautilus scripts that I have created to fill gaping holes
in the capabilities of Linux apps for BATCH image processing

- some comments on the commendable OpenShot video editor
development 'story'

- the one piece of software that forces me to keep an MS Windows
operating system on one or more of my PCs - Turbotax. (I wonder why
I never read of anyone mentioning this type of software in
this regard.)

- a class of users that are not served by Linux --- mechanical engineers.

That said, I have found a lot to like with Gnome-Ubuntu 9.x --- on an
Acer netbook and two desktops. One more desktop to go --- in a few
days or so, after 10.04 is released.

harrismh777
April 28th, 2010, 11:28 PM

Our entire family completely uses ubuntu. I have been using linux since early RedHat days; I've used openSuse until I got fed up with Novell; and I have used ubuntu exclusively now since about 2007 time-frame.
Since we moved our tax preparation over to H&R Block's on-line (cloud) software via Firefox, we use windows for nothing... its just not needed.
We use our systems mostly for academics (studies, reports, research) but when we play with them we still use linux. If I have to run windows to play a computer game, then I don't need the game.
As for gaming, get serious. The game consoles do a way better job of gaming than your PC... use the PC as a computer, and buy a good game console for gaming.

jerenept
April 28th, 2010, 11:39 PM
My father's work laptop is the only one in my house that uses windows (xp). It has not been converted because his company is not too friendly with people formatting their harddrives and he has 2 get permission 2 install programs (wubi).

maddg3241
April 29th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I competly got rid of windows and I am happy I did it was a pain in the butt Ubuntu has everything i need I even got the Ubuntu Polo Shirt LINK (http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=583)

cadillac807
April 30th, 2010, 06:35 AM
I killed it just cause it kept messing up on me like every month

santq
April 30th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I'm practical open source user. I use open source when I can, but when the closed source solution is easier for me, I go for it. So instead of fighting with Wine, I tend to just play my (closed source) games with Windows. I respect people who use open source even when it's not the best solution, but I'm not quiet yet there. Maybe when I'm old and have messy beard like RMS.

To my defend, I don't play games that often and I just managed to erase Windows XP from my laptop, huzzah!

tigerwater
May 1st, 2010, 10:05 PM
i switched over to ubuntu about three months ago. never looked back.

pcrat
May 1st, 2010, 11:08 PM
Im pretty new to linux,. ive tried alot of them, redhat, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, bunch of others,, i seem to like Ubuntu, the most,, along with redhat, alittle also.. When i bought this laptop. it came with that crap they call Vista... now i have Ubuntu 10.04 dual booted with vista.. the only thing that is keeping me from completley leaving windows, is "Internet Download Manager" since there is no good download manager for linux that supports rapidshare, hotfile, megaupload etc, that has good speeds... i had one but it couldnt even hit 100kbs... so... right now i have Virtual Box installed with an xp copy on there.. that i have IDM installed.. and have a shared folder to my linux home folder.. so once i get use to that.. i might just as well gpart out the windows partition. and live on with linux... besided if theres osmething i really need in windows i can just use the virtual xp. :popcorn:

joeval
May 1st, 2010, 11:09 PM
Yep, I've been exclusively using a mix of Ubuntu and Linux Mint for about a year now.

Unfortunately, I'm looking to put XP back on an old laptop, cos I need some fairly specialist software for my dissertation project at uni, and haven't got the expertise to twiddle round with Wine to get it all working (DIPS, a stereonet bit of kit, and ArcGIS for some digital terrain models, and fiddling some geochemical data). A shame, but just one of those things.

Got the shiny new Lucid Lynx installed, absolutely flawless so far. Not a single problem. I'm a happy man!

Nickynak
May 1st, 2010, 11:30 PM
XP on my netbook was wiped out by a virus three weeks ago. I had no idea about how to put it back, as I didn't have a boot disc. Went to a shop, bought a magazine with a free linux CD, followed the instructions, three weeks on am as happy as can be with a fully functioning netbook with Lucid Lynx freshly installed, and never a fear to be had about any rotten virus sneaking up in Windows and ruining my day again! People should be willing to learn a new way of doing things, and I find it very liberating to feel in control of my computer operating system.
I've come to think of Windows as being like a closed shop, full of food that has gone past it's sell by date, in comparison to linux it's so slow and bloated. I have an console for games if I need to kick back and zap some critters, and at the end of the day computer games aren't a necessity in life, although it's a shame if linux lacks in accessibility for them. There is nothing worse than having your beloved computer destroyed by a virus, for this reason I would tell anybody to think twice about relying on any Windows based operating system.

Sepiraph
May 2nd, 2010, 07:48 AM
I use Linux and Window side-by-side ... literally with Synergy so I only use one KVM with two systems.

makoshark55
May 2nd, 2010, 05:29 PM
It depends on how you define completely switch. Dual booting was a disaster, windows mucked up the drive twice last year. so now windows sits on an old Compaq computer to answer my skype VOIP and run livezilla client. otherwise I never use it any more:popcorn:

nealaustin
May 2nd, 2010, 11:54 PM
I switched to Ubuntu years ago and haven't looked back. My wife has never used windows. She is using my old desktop now that I have a netbook from system 76 as my main computer. At work I have to use windows computers and I absolutely hate how they freeze & crash all of the time. Our IT devision starts out their phone menu with "first try rebooting, this will solve most problems" Ya sure :lolflag:

wiredone
May 3rd, 2010, 02:19 AM
I keep a separate computer with ubuntu only to work with. the new 10.04 is supposed to have a movie editing program. For home movies I have had the best luck with payed for software. I learned editing with freeware but it was very difficult due to multiple codec musical chairs to get from a to b. Im not a gamer. I am going to work with lucid to see how it works:)

phatcartoon
May 3rd, 2010, 02:33 AM
I almost completely use Linux. Here is when I don't. I have a laptop that I keep a WinVista partion on. I use this almost entirely for NetFlix. No Netflix on Linux. :'( Also my HDMI doesn't seem to be working right on Lucid. I might just need to do some tweaking, but then again the only reason I use the HDMI is to output NetFlix to my TV.

Two things I really like to see working on Linux are NetFlix and Adobe products. I would go out and buy CS5 this week if it was on linux. For now I will continue using my copy of CS2 on wine. I use PS for production and printing. . . Besides that, I find GIMP and MyPaint funner to use for personal projects and digital painting.

Timmer1240
May 3rd, 2010, 03:56 AM
I was showing my buddy Ubuntu he liked it hes got xp then I told em I got windows 7 so I booted that up showed him that for a few minutes then it froze up!Classic for a windows system freeze machines!pretty much on Ubuntu 90 percent of the time now windows LOL !The reason he came over I had to fix his Xp laptop viruses malware ect at least with Ubuntu that craps over for me but I still have to fix my moms, wifes, and friends xp vista 7 machines when they get badies wish they all had Ubuntu!

Flash__Gordon
May 3rd, 2010, 04:42 AM
Pretty much 99.8% Linux user. I have a very small partition on my laptop with xp on it only for VAG-COM automotive software to access VW, Audi, etc. computers via usb cable. I haven't tried to use VAG-COM via virtualbox yet, but when I do and if it works I will wipe that small partition and windoes with it.
On my main desktop I have Ubuntu 9,04, it is my workhorse and works flawlessly. Also able to play Unreal Tourny 2004 natively as well as Serious Sam 2nd encounter (no wine or virtual). There are some good Linux games out there also for lan parties when the son in law is over. :) Video editing, burning, ripping, document creation, photo editing via gimp, all great. I have not found anything that I can't do on linux.(other than above mentioned VAG-COM)
My wifes computer - Ubuntu 9,04 (no windoes)
One daughters laptop - Ubuntu 9.10 (no windoes)

Just my 2 cents. :popcorn:

maury
May 3rd, 2010, 05:03 AM

I start my 9th year of Linux only this month, I have helped others to move to Linux over the years and I estimate about 45 years of run time combined.Just put 10.04 amd_64 on a new home built box and it is the best system I have ever used.maury :D

graven80
May 3rd, 2010, 05:38 AM
I use Kubuntu 10.04 (recent upgrade) for personal use. I have Ubuntu 9.10 (Gnome desktop) on another drive that I use occasionally. On a couple of older pc's I have Mepis 8.5 and Crunchbang at the moment, although I sometimes load other distro's just for the fun of it! I've been solely using linux at home in one form or other for about 2 years. I do still have to repair windows boxes, but that's now the only time I look at XP / Vista / 7.

My teenage son uses Ubuntu on his laptop and swears by it. He reckons it's just faster and better than the XP it originally came loaded with. A couple of his friends have asked if they can have it installed on their laptops after seeing his, (just doing my bit and spreading the word:)).

My daughter won't give up Vista at any price on her desktop. She can't see what all the bad press was with Vista as she's never had any real problems with it.

nmccrina
May 3rd, 2010, 05:44 AM
My daughter won't give up Vista at any price on her desktop. She can't see what all the bad press was with Vista as she's never had any real problems with it.

That was pretty much my opinion of it. It worked for me!

Mind you, it wasn't enough to prevent me from using Linux as my primary OS!

Crempel
May 3rd, 2010, 02:03 PM
I first tried Linux in 1998 and wiped Windows of my solitary PC in 2000, using DLD, a German distro that was bought out by Red Hat the same year and disappeared immediately from the market. After some time with Red Hat, SuSE, and Mandrake I went to Warty. Apart from some interludes with PCLinuxOS I stayed with (K)Ubuntu. Maybe it was easier for me to dispose of Windoze as I am not a gamer.

MacUntu
May 3rd, 2010, 02:06 PM
I could, but I don't want to.

netro_grant
May 4th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I've only been using linux for a couple of years, and switched to being completely windows free about 5 months ago. Although I do like gaming, I have an xBox 360 and never really got into PC gaming.

OpenOffice I used anyway under windows.

And as for programming? Well there is no shortage of compilers/IDE's for linux is there?

Hopefully i'll continue this happy relationship with linux :)

netro_grant
May 4th, 2010, 12:56 AM
PS glad they released a version of google chrome for linux, I do like that browser :)

(N)
May 5th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I switched back in -96. Slackware, don't remember what release. One of my old laptops has a Win95 partition for a few legacy programs.

oaxacamatt1
May 5th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Hey All,
I completely switched about 2-3 months ago. I bought a laptop with Windows Vista or whatever pre-7 was, and I hated it. It crashed and froze ALL the time. I have been playing with Ubuntu for several years now and already had it on so all I did was simply start up Gparted and wiped windows.

I find the hardest thing to get used to is OpenOffice. Some of the behaviors of Open Office and really quite different than Word, Not to mention Impress vs Powerpoint. It is a bit of a struggle. I especially hate OpenOffice tables. Otherwise I love it.
M

KegHead
May 5th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Hi!

All four machines running 10.04.

KegHead

marcusjames
May 5th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I am a recovering Windows user. I haven't used proprietary software for 10 years now !!!.

98cwitr
May 5th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Check me to that list...been windows free at home for over 6 months

Smart Viking
May 5th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Hi, my name is Smart Viking. I have been windows free for 2-3 months.

I used to be a gamer, but I simply stopped gaming. :)

98cwitr
May 5th, 2010, 06:27 PM
hi, my name is smart viking. I have been windows free for 2-3 months.

I used to be a gamer, but i simply stopped gaming. :)

ps3 > pc > xbox > wii :p

alliance1975
May 6th, 2010, 12:47 PM
My real work is done on a PC. Ubuntu is merely a hobby.

ranch hand
May 6th, 2010, 06:15 PM
My real work is done on a PC. Ubuntu is merely a hobby.
Say what?

My real work is done an a Personal Computer (PC).

The Operating System (OS) is Linux.

Grone1985
May 7th, 2010, 05:25 AM
I've been Windows free for over two years now... Wow... hadn't even thought about that until now... :D

FoxMcCloudwp
May 7th, 2010, 05:28 AM
ps3 > pc > xbox > wii :p

N64 > Anything else

I've been using Ubuntu only for around 2 years now :)

spillin_dylan
May 7th, 2010, 05:37 AM
I'd really like to say I've switched completely to Linux. Especially Ubuntu, and ESPECIALLY 10.04. Works like a charm for me.

The problem is, I went and bought an iPod, and while it is MUCH better supported on Lucid, it still isn't as flawless (maybe faster, and more intuitive, but not as flawless) as iTunes. For this reason, and almost this reason alone, I still have XP and Vista on partitions on my lappy, along with Debian Lenny and Ubuntus 9.04 through 10.04.

One thing is for sure, I haven't booted anything but Lucid since I installed it, and I sure love the separate /home so I only have to reinstall, but not reconfigure everything on my computer. Do you remember "upgrading" your computer, but found out that absolutely everything was not only new, but DIFFERENT? Not just old programs moved to a new menu (or folder, or whatever), but new programs, new settings, and you had to copy everything from the old if you wanted it in the new?

All that being said. I'm all in favour of not just Ubuntu, but all of Linux. It has done more for me in the past two years than Windows has in the past twenty.

That is all.

Toastedmick
May 7th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Well, I've been running XP/Ubuntu side by side for about six months now. My only issue is that I cannot find a driver for my sound card. It's an ESI WamiRack 192L. A PCI card with an external rack that has Mic inputs and MIDI inputs for recording music.
About 5 months ago I switched my kids computers to running just Ubuntu, and they love it.
We also have a Media Center PC which I am now looking at switching over to Ubuntu if I can find drivers for everything. XBMC looks awesome, and runs on Linux.
I'll be Windows free as soon as I possibly can.

powerslave12r
May 7th, 2010, 03:37 PM
The only reason I am not taking win 7 off my computer is Adobe Lightroom.

philinux
May 7th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Had an ageing pentium III back in 2007 with windows ME and was totally fed up with windows. Didn't want to buy a new pc and did not like vista which I saw on GF's lappy.

A friend gave me a spare hard drive and helped me install it. Dual booted with feisty fawn. After a couple of months learning curve hardly ever used windows. Got a new pc in April 2008 from a local builder with no OS. Put ubuntu on it exclusively. Happy ;)

e-San
May 8th, 2010, 03:46 PM
i miss gameing on windows (wow only, propably).
i could not find 'abby finereader' text recognizing tool alternative for linux.

in exception ot those i do not need to use windows.
on my main pc i do not have windows since almost year.

stmiller
May 8th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Another person Windows free - but I do have Virtualbox if I need to fire up XP for anything.

Virtualbox is amazing.

ram4nd
May 8th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I use ubuntu only. Sometimes i wish to play, but my laptop with radeon xpress 200m doesn't run any games anyway.

rchar66
May 8th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Windows free here for about 4+ years now.

I now have 4 computers running Linux.

Gateway GT4022 desktop - Ubuntu 9.10
Acer Aspire X1200 HTPC - ElementOS 1.1 (Ubuntu 9.10)
HP DV9910us Laptop 17" - Ubuntu 9.10
HP ze1000 Laptop 14" - Linux Mint 8 (Ubuntu 9.10)

Element + XBMC runs really well for my Acer HTPC hooked up to a 42" LCD HDTV.

I like using Linux Mint to run on old PC's and Laptop's (HP ze1000). It seems to run the best without sacrificing a nice looking desktop and environment.

johnlvpl
May 8th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Hi guys

I have been a hardcore windows gamer for some quite time. and have been using Windows until very recently, I was sick of having to buy firewalls, antivirus, then a new operating system that is always flaky. I have up most of my games and turned to Linux, Started to look at Solaris, then came across to Ubuntu and I can say I will not be looking back.

The transition hasn't been too hard, Miss some of my games but I am very pleased. Ubuntu comes with 99.9% of what one needs in an operating system and applications.

I introduced Ubuntu to a friend of mine, and he loaded it up, His first thoughts was hmmm not sure, so he tried another version (Fedora) well that crashed, so we and re-downloaded Ubuntu for his second machine, and after spending 2 days with him getting it up and running and teaching him how to upgrade and install programs like X-Plane, he was overjoyed with it.

His main complaint is that there is no apparent way to customise the login screen and he's getting errors with his rather old turtle beach audio card, but were gonna fix that :-) After all this he's going to convert both machines to Ubuntu and he's even bought himself a book; so have I as a matter of speaking.

So that's 2 hardcore windows flight simmers switched over for good so Mr. Gates can go suck my left toe (hehehe). He's not getting any more of my hard earned cash.

Nice Talking

John

True_Snake
May 9th, 2010, 03:55 AM
I haven't got windows installed for at least two years, and I'm happy I got rid of it.
About gaming, Nexuiz and openarena have gave me already tons of fun !!
for better HD games i have my Xbox my com is way to slow for that :lolflag:

spitfirenut
May 9th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Dual booted my present laptop for about 4 years. XP died about 18 months ago and I started to reinstall it, never got around to finishing the install, so yesterday I wiped the drive and did a fresh Ubuntu install on the whole drive. Dad was having trouble with his XP, switched him to Ubuntu a few weeks ago and he's had very little trouble with the learning curve at age 65. I could probably convince the wife to switch, but I haven't found a linux equivalent for her embroidery machine software. Very satisfied overall.

Phrea
May 10th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Somewhere in this thread [can't be bothered to find my post] I stated that I was planning on switching completely to Linux, and yesterday, I did !! :guitar:

2 desktops, both pure Linux [Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 64bit, no dualboot on either] and I'm working on a small server, that'll also be pure Linux.

!! I DID IT !! I DID IT !! I DID IT !! I DID IT !!

Haha, sorry for my enthusiasm there, but I'm so happy. :)
Everything works, like a charm.

Bachstelze
May 10th, 2010, 12:35 AM
No. I can't remember ever having used only one OS. I would feel like I'm limiting myself.

GSF1200S
May 10th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Well, I have a co-worker that says that no one really wants to hack into linux because it's the same sort of stable programming that the government uses. I like that. And I know that it's not likely that my computer will crash with Linux. That's awesome that's one of the reasons I switched.

I'm also surprised that I don't have to deal with drivers. I haven't heard any complaints about Gimp and Photoshop. If I'm repeating any other people's arguments, it's not meant to be cliché but a genuine concern. I WILL have photoshop and Illustrator on my computer, one way or another.

I've heard that the creator of Ubuntu plans on having Ubuntu as user friendly and sleek as Mac OS within two years. And with Ubuntu getting an upgrade once every 6 months, I'd say that might be a possibility... Especially since they're talking directly with Google as they're developing Chrome OS to ensure that it's compatible. Once Google is on board, I'm thinking Linux will take on a completely different form.

Although I'm not a fan of how glitchy many of the programs are, it's nice to see so many of them right there from the get-go... I just wish I didn't have to abandon all my industry standard programs... In fact, I won't... I guess I'll just have to run them all on Virtualbox... which is goin' ghetto style just to try and be happy with Linux.

What angers me about people like you is how you voice your opinions as fact while being totally ignorant to the reality of the situation.

Do you think Linux is incapable of handling an application like Photoshop? No, Linux could run it IF ADOBE RELEASED A VERSION FOR LINUX. But, they havent released a Linux version BECAUSE they dont think it will be profitable for them. Microsoft doesnt release Office because they feel it wouldnt be profitable for them AND because it would be AIDING an OS they view as a "CANCER" to their market share. Nearly every single issue with mainstream proprietary software in relation to Linux isnt because Linux is inferior to Windows- its that there isnt a Linux version released. Linux is afflicted with less viruses (if any), has a better security model, is more configurable and scriptable, and is more stable.

And then of course there is the fact that Microsoft, through monopolistic practices (now, although back in the day they legitimately had a good product relative to others offered), has 90% of the market share! Of course some apps are only going to be designed for Windows- it costs money to design cross-platform applications, and this is especially important when you consider that you are trying to make a profit off a very small userbase. Linux and its OSS ecosystem has managed to construct an Operating System that can simply do EVERYTHING many users need with less than 1% of the market share and a VASTLY inferior money supply. Linux has managed to make a fundamentally BETTER operating system with less money and a userbase 9 times smaller than Windows. And most of all, Linux and the vast majority of those "sub-par" applications you so condescendingly deride serve YOU; Linux and its ecosystem is created by the people for the people and it isnt evil and driven by money-sucking corporate vampires who dont care ONE BIT about your rights or your privacy. You are just a number to Microsoft and Apple- a wallet from which they extract money. To the Linux community, you are part of an ideology. Sure, there is some corporate might behind Linux now, but this largely came to be as a result of its merits. The principles of OSS are what drive the entire Linux ecosystem, and I will take whatever limitations that entails on the principle that software should be about the user and not a d*** corporation. I will take these limitations even NOT CONSIDERING the advantages of Linux- factor those in and its not even something I have to justify morally.

So perhaps you dont have such a zealous perspective of Linux, and perhaps there are some of you who simply use what works- thats perfectly fine (and im not being sarcastic here). But dont come in here with your nose in the air blaming Linux for things beyond its control and expecting a project which is no less human in design than the Windows 7 cow you worship to be perfect.

Linux has done absolutely incredible things considering its small userbase, minuscule funding, and seemingly-at-times-unsurmountable war with proprietary formats and programs, often times just to be taken seriously..

Bachstelze
May 10th, 2010, 02:17 AM
What angers me about people like you is how you voice your opinions as fact while being totally ignorant to the reality of the situation.

Do you think Linux is incapable of handling an application like Photoshop?

http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/30403/original/YouMad.jpg

Seriously, where did orphanlast say Linux couldn't run Photoshop, or was inferior to other OSes?

GSF1200S
May 10th, 2010, 02:28 AM
http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/30403/original/YouMad.jpg

Seriously, where did orphanlast say Linux couldn't run Photoshop, or was inferior to other OSes?

The portion on photoshop is explicitly stated here:

This quote is clearly inflammatory- "Come on People. PHOTOSHOP!" What would he have us do- march on Adobe's headquarters? He never really states whether he got it working on Wine or not. Assuming he did, which is in itself an amazing feat, he is STILL upset that somehow Linux doesnt have Photoshop out of the box. Of course he means from the install disc, but then that is ADOBE'S responsibility- not the responsibility of any Linux distro.

The portion about Linux being an inferior OS is more of an implicit statement, and it is falsely centered around the idea that Linux doesnt have "all the programs that windows does." That doesnt make Linux an operating system that is worse- it simply makes it one challenged by the fact it maintains less than 1% of the market share.

Yes, I am mad, but not to a delirious state- I have not quoted him out of context and anyone reading his piece will clearly see his complaints are being wholly incognizant to the reality of what hinders Linux, even if that person chooses not to use Linux for the limitations it does have.

**EDIT** Perhaps my only mistake in my initial response was hitting the quote button on his second post regarding the limitations of Linux- he is far more critical of Linux in his first post.

ranch hand
May 10th, 2010, 03:30 AM
The portion on photoshop is explicitly stated here:

This quote is clearly inflammatory- "Come on People. PHOTOSHOP!" What would he have us do- march on Adobe's headquarters? He never really states whether he got it working on Wine or not. Assuming he did, which is in itself an amazing feat, he is STILL upset that somehow Linux doesnt have Photoshop out of the box. Of course he means from the install disc, but then that is ADOBE'S responsibility- not the responsibility of any Linux distro.

The portion about Linux being an inferior OS is more of an implicit statement, and it is falsely centered around the idea that Linux doesnt have "all the programs that windows does." That doesnt make Linux an operating system that is worse- it simply makes it one challenged by the fact it maintains less than 1% of the market share.

Yes, I am mad, but not to a delirious state- I have not quoted him out of context and anyone reading his piece will clearly see his complaints are being wholly incognizant to the reality of what hinders Linux, even if that person chooses not to use Linux for the limitations it does have.

**EDIT** Perhaps my only mistake in my initial response was hitting the quote button on his second post regarding the limitations of Linux- he is far more critical of Linux in his first post.
I am with you all the way.

You wonder how many o them work for adobe or ms.

"Whine whine I don't want to learn anything different so this sucks" really is lame. They can easily go back to windows although I would like to watch them install it.

heninsmithy
May 10th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I completely switched to Linux.It is really good using Linux...

Linuxnall
May 10th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I've switched almost all my PCs to Linux except my iMac and I am yet to find out how hack the iPad into letting me use Linux on it :P

snakeman21
May 10th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I've switched almost all my PCs to Linux except my iMac and I am yet to find out how hack the iPad into letting me use Linux on it :P

Ooh, an iPad running Linux... That would be SWEEEEET!

bigseb
May 11th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I completely switched. Now that I got my games AND my CAD working Microsoft Windows has become obsolete.

Concrete Pants
May 12th, 2010, 06:09 AM
I haven't quite completely switched... only use my desktop to run windows for the games (the few that I play don't seem to want to work under wine)

but I managed to find alternatives for absolutely everything else I do, hazah!

simynona
May 12th, 2010, 10:15 PM
When I got my computer about 2 years ago, it came with Vista. I originally partitioned my hard drive between Vista and Ubuntu, keeping Windows just in case. I gave the Windows part just enough space for the OS, not a lot more. Since then, I haven't had the need to use Windows, and have removed it altogether. I had no need for Windows, but I can understand why someone would prefer it if you're a gamer.

vaiocomputer
May 12th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I have Windows 7 beta and Vista (by default) also on my laptop. I installed the beta to test out Windows 7, and I don't really want the hassle of uninstalling it, a virus-free free version straight from Microsoft. There's more software for Windows, less buggy flash, and they have the best Office software (I'm a fan of the ribbon in 2007, less so in 2010).

But for security and other reasons, I like to have Ubuntu as my primary overarching OS and to have a bit of variety in my computer experience.

I use Windows and Ubuntu maybe 55/45.

kumarldh
May 13th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I use Ubuntu full time until unless I have to use anything that Window support but Ubuntu doesn't, which most of the time means PhotoShop, IE7/8, Visio etc

TrymEAV
May 13th, 2010, 11:20 AM
100%, that i haven't, but i have linux on every system i have, and it is what i mostly use.

mwildam
May 14th, 2010, 07:33 AM
100% - In private AND at work. Only legacy projects get maintained through a VirtualBox Windows machine (I am a software developer).

I currently don't have time for gaming, but when my kids grow up I will play just Linux available games with them. In the past I also played just two or three games - and mostly because of the fun factor and not because of a particular cool graphic.

slackthumbz
May 14th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Used/owned nothing but Linux computers since 1998. I can barely get around on a windows desktop these days, I find them incredibly clunky and counter-intuitive.

/G\
May 14th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I've been using linux distros (mostly ubuntu) since 2007 and almost one month ago I got rid of windows all together and now I'm running linux 100%.

consindo
May 14th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I've been using Linux full time since 2009 as I got rid of my iPod and I don't really need any Windows specific software.
The best thing about it is that I like Linux more than Windows! :)

nmyrick
May 14th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I have Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop at home as my only OS. I switched completely to Ubuntu about 15 months ago, and I love it! What I like most is that there seems to be a free program out there for just about anything that you desire to do, unlike Windows, where there are free programs, but you generally have to pay for the good ones.

For those who are having difficulty getting games to work on Linux, you may want to try CrossOver Linux. It's not free, but I understand it works well with many games. I used it for a while because it made all Microsoft Office programs work on my machine.

As fas as video editing, I have found that the best program is DVDStyler.

djinnkeeper
May 15th, 2010, 04:27 PM
100% as of Karmic - before that I was on my eight-millionth installation of XP. I had tried to switch in the past, before Wine was near-reliable and before virtualization was commonplace, but I still had an urge to carjack people in Liberty City, seek vengeance against the president of Aesir Corporation, etc.. Photoshop and FL Studio were still pretty sturdy crutches back then, as well. Gimp and LMMS have since filled those vacancies with gusto.. and yes after years of repetition, I FINALLY got tired of GTA3 and Max Payne.. for now.

After making the complete switch to Karmic, I was still running a virtualized XP on occasion, but I no longer have any need. I actually have Wine and VirtualBox installed, but haven't touched them since installing Lucid. The only game I'm playing right now is very well emulated with SNES9x, or on my Gamepark, so.. back to Mt. Ordeals. (Cecil is about to become a Paladin!) ;)

InvaderFuchi
May 15th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Stopped using Windows at home when Vista was released. Been using Ubuntu and sometimes osX (My primary computer is an iMac) ever since.

Have to use WinXP at work though :(

ilovelinux33467
May 16th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Started using Linux in 2005 and have been completely using Linux since end of 2007. However sometimes I do like to experiment with the other Unix OS's (FreeBSD and OpenSolaris) on VirtualBox

opdiebokke!
May 22nd, 2010, 02:07 AM
Unfortunately, as there is no viable alternative, I'm running Autocad on Vista, in a dual boot with uBuntu...

zoomy942
May 22nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
after I hackintosh my wife's MSI wind, we will be windows free. i have been using ubuntu since 8.04.

Murefu
May 23rd, 2010, 10:12 PM
I joined ubuntu with Intrepid. am now zooming along with Lucid. loving it. I had vista dual boot back a ways but have not booted to it is 2 years. I don't even know or care if it is still bootable and just havn't gotten around to deleting the partition.

good times.
e

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 10:25 PM
I erased windows and never looked back. I play my games through wine, it works fine for a couple, but I'll just hold out until a full steam for linux comes out.

Cathhsmom
May 24th, 2010, 01:24 AM
This week, I erased Windows Vista and I am happy about the decision. I love Ubuntu and I do not miss Windows.

kamaboko
May 24th, 2010, 03:04 AM
i just built a desktop for a friend today and put lucid on it as well as a copy on her sister's laptop. they were both over joyed.

dogafin
May 24th, 2010, 06:37 AM
ive switched to ubuntu in '08, never using windows again, for anything!

jlaki
May 24th, 2010, 06:56 AM
I'm completely into Ubuntu, on my sub-notebook and PC and I'm trying very hard to avoid installing Windows again, but I'm afraid I will have to do that soon. I hate my college.

jlaki
May 24th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Unfortunately, as there is no viable alternative, I'm running Autocad on Vista, in a dual boot with uBuntu...

Blender.

MC_Sketch
May 24th, 2010, 07:48 AM
switched to Ubuntu 2 years ago and still love to game all the time. it IS difficult sometimes to find ways to install/play some games, but that's part of the fun! :)

svenofix
May 24th, 2010, 08:27 AM
First started using Ubuntu 7.04 on Windows through Wubi. Became a hard core Ubuntu user (no dual boot) on my laptop since 9.10 after I built my first gaming rig for gaming. Up Linux! Up Ubuntu!:guitar::popcorn:

Dragonbite
May 24th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Woo Hoo, my son pulled through! (no, he wasn't sick)

I finally moved everything over to the new desktop and replaced the old one with the new one. My son is the only other one to touch the Windows 7 machine.

I told him the the Linux was also updated to the latest one, so on Saturday he booted into that to do his online games.

Sunday he tried to boot into Windows 7, but it took a loooooong time. So he asked if he could boot into Linux instead, and restart the timer (he gets 45 minutes at a time).

So even though Windows is in the house, nobody is really using it!

The only thing really keeping a Windows around is for compatibility purposes, though with a few purchases to replace the less or unsupported peripherals and then that becomes a moot issue.

ali_williams
May 24th, 2010, 02:51 PM
i been on Ubuntu since 8.04 the only windows machine I have is the box I have for work. I even bought a netbook and loaded Ubuntu 9.04 on it as a duel boot because my wife uses the windows peice :-D

Kirkland14
May 25th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I would like to switch full time, but unfortunately like a lot of other people I still need to use my itunes every once in awhile for my iphone.

SamuelDinnadge
May 25th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I have switched to Ubuntu completely! >:) :KS

BeRA
May 25th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Started with Red Hat 7.1 in 2001... after that Mandriva... and finaly 7.04 (feisty) 2007-present... but all of that time GNU/Linux was my 2. OS... since karmic was released I completely switched (M$ Vista still stands- as a backup OS- 2 weeks ago I had to use chntpw, because I forgot Vista password :) )... :guitar:

Dragonbite
May 25th, 2010, 06:42 PM
My problem is less switching to Linux, as it is switching to ONE Linux!

Right now I have Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop but because of the Intel GPU issue which is still being resolved, it isn't quite 100% there yet (locks up on desktop effects). I'll probably give Fedora a go and see if that fares any better, or openSUSE but I have enough trouble sticking to just one at any time anyway.

lin73
May 25th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I made the switch some 9 months ago with Opensuse 11.2, and now on Lucid Lynx for about a month.
Obviously, the only problem with using Linux is the availability of some software.

ivanovnegro
May 25th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I switched completely to Linux this year in January, to Ubuntu Karmic. It was my first Linux installed before I was only testing Ubuntu via Live CD and one day I decided to leave the Windows world and Im totally happy. So when I first installed Linux I left Windows behind forever. Im not a gamer and I like the philosophy of the open source community and all the software I need I found it in Ubuntu.

libssd
May 25th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Ubuntu 9.04 was my introduction to desktop Linux, just about a year ago (Linpus, which came with my Acer netbook, doesn't really count). I estimate that currently 95% of my time is on Ubuntu with the netbook, 4.9% on an iMac (mainly to print, because an update to Mac OS X broke CUPS printing, also iTunes and photo management), and .1% Windows XP (which remains on the netbook, "just in case". Ubuntu is installed in a 32gb partition, which is plenty for my needs. Booting up in Windows XP about once a month is incredibly frustrating, usually requiring an hour or more to apply security updates.

ranch hand
May 25th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Ubuntu 9.04 was my introduction to desktop Linux, just about a year ago (Linpus, which came with my Acer netbook, doesn't really count). I estimate that currently 95% of my time is on Ubuntu with the netbook, 4.9% on an iMac (mainly to print, because an update to Mac OS X broke CUPS printing, also iTunes and photo management), and .1% Windows XP (which remains on the netbook, "just in case". Ubuntu is installed in a 32gb partition, which is plenty for my needs. Booting up in Windows XP about once a month is incredibly frustrating, usually requiring an hour or more to apply security updates.
I am not sure what your "just in case" is but if it is as a fall back in case your Ubuntu gets screwed there is a better way.

When I switched to Hardy I broke it five times in the first week (how else do you learn). The wife was not amused as she think the thing should work. I dual booted with Hardy. Nothing went on the "real" install, including updates, until I had tested it on my "play" install.

That Hardy is still on here and working, don't use it much but it is our "secure" business OS still. It will switch (clean install and file transfer) to 10.04 around the 1st of August. 10.04-1 comes out then and should have most of the bugs worked out for that new ISO.

mickier
May 26th, 2010, 04:49 AM
I switched to Linux in 2001 - mostly (my desktop and dualboot laptop). Gave up windows in 2004, and got my wife over to ubuntu for good in June 2009! Happy days!

HOWEVER, since November 2009, we started using VMware esxi 4 at work, and <CRAP!> vsphere ONLY works in Windows... so I have one win box back (at the office) @@#$&@! feels like I'm in JAIL...

When I tried to figure out why no linux management access to esxi4, I found that out of the original vmware founders, 4 or 5 have LEFT, and the CEO is a recent Micro$oft VP...

Well what an irritating thing to do!

Will soon switch over to XEN or maybe KVM...

Dragonbite
May 26th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I switched to Linux in 2001 - mostly (my desktop and dualboot laptop). Gave up windows in 2004, and got my wife over to ubuntu for good in June 2009! Happy days!

HOWEVER, since November 2009, we started using VMware esxi 4 at work, and <CRAP!> vsphere ONLY works in Windows... so I have one win box back (at the office) @@#$&@! feels like I'm in JAIL...

When I tried to figure out why no linux management access to esxi4, I found that out of the original vmware founders, 4 or 5 have LEFT, and the CEO is a recent Micro$oft VP...

Well what an irritating thing to do!

Will soon switch over to XEN or maybe KVM...

KVM is the way Linux Enterprise Distros seem to be moving. I think Ubuntu supports it and I know Red Hat has moved to it over Xen. Don't know about openSUSE, but I think they are following suit too.

kaspin
May 26th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Unfortunately I need TomTom Home to update my navigator - and so far they refuse to issue a version for Linux. Apart from that, Ubuntu10.04 does everything I want very well indeed...
Kaspin

texastrey1836
May 26th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I *finally* completed the switch last week. So far, so good. I don't know how long this will last, but I'm so fed up with Microsoft and Apple. I'm using Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.04. All good so far.

frankcm3
May 27th, 2010, 01:33 AM
I am new to linux. Installed it about 3 weeks ago. I still have windows on a slave drive but I haven't booted it since Ubuntu day 1. I am still getting used to things(mostly searching for codecs or plugins) but having my computer run 5 times faster makes up for a lot.

jstrawick
May 27th, 2010, 01:50 AM
I only use windows now for ..

1. cs4 (but am going to try w/wine. .maybe)
2. a game = subspace continuum
3. iTunes for my iPhone

I CANNOT get subspace to run on linux (i'm on 10.04 64bit)

I HATE iTunes but I need to sync my phone!

fordhell
May 27th, 2010, 03:19 AM
i'm a new user to linux but i grabbed a test laptop that my son had ( inspiron 1521 ) and jumped into full blown linux. reformatted the whole hard drive on ubuntu 10.4 and never looked back. i will install linux very soon on my aspire 3680 as soon as i get the basics of linux down. cant wait to finally put windows behind me. lol i am pretty sure windows will stay on the wifes dell desktop given the fact its impossible to teach her new things. lol linux is great ......ford

EarlGrey167
May 27th, 2010, 03:46 AM
I've been using Linux for a couple of years. I bought a new laptop when I went back to school that had windoze 7 on it. I ran it trying out various Linux distros on it as I went. Couldn't find anything that didn't require a lot more work than I wanted to do to get the cheap wireless card working so I continued on with windoze 7. Downloaded a copy of 10.04, I didn't have to do anything and it recognized my wireless card from the live cd so now my windoze 7 is history and I'm back with Linux.

I have Puppy Linux on my PC but mostly my kids get on there for their flash games on the Internet.

PaulW2U
May 27th, 2010, 06:51 PM
After many aborted attempts to install Linux several years ago I have somewhat easily managed to install Ubuntu 10.04 on my six year old desktop. Everything seems to work as it should but now I have to find a Linux version of very item of software that I use on Windows XP/Vista/7.

So no, I haven't completely switched to Linux, may be I never will - I'm just starting on that long winding road of finding out. :neutral:

fancypiper
May 27th, 2010, 07:16 PM
After many aborted attempts to install Linux several years ago I have somewhat easily managed to install Ubuntu 10.04 on my six year old desktop. Everything seems to work as it should but now I have to find a Linux version of very item of software that I use on Windows XP/Vista/7.

So no, I haven't completely switched to Linux, may be I never will - I'm just starting on that long winding road of finding out. :neutral:
Perhaps these links will shorten your journey.

The Windows/Linux Alternative Project (http://www.linuxalt.com/)

The table of equivalents / replacements / analogs of Windows software in Linux (http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html)

tachuela
May 27th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I'm all Linux.

krussell
May 27th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Hi All!

My choice is Linux (Ubuntu). Linux is with me since 2001; started with Mandrake, then Redhat, then hooked with Slackware for the rest of the time until Ubuntu came.

But my Laptop (i have no PC) boots in two Linux (Ubuntu and Monomaxos) distributions for me, and Windows 7 for my wife and kids. I use Linux for most of my computing need. Exceptions would be iPhone/iTune, FreeDownloadManager (its replacement i haven't found yet!), and Games. But all other things including playing DVD, listening to my mp3 collection, browsing the internet, spreadsheet and word processing, emailing, managing files/data/archives, internet connection sharing/networking, pairing my mobile sets to exchange files etc. - i do it in my favorite Linux distro. :-)

Future in Linux.

cabman767
May 27th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I have completely switched to Linux.
I use Ubuntu 10.4 on my desktop and use Open Suse 11.2 for my laptop.
I have an EVDO card for my laptop and Ubuntu doesn't handle it well. It takes forever fro the connection. Open Suse connects on startup.

PaulW2U
May 30th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Perhaps these links will shorten your journey.

The Windows/Linux Alternative Project (http://www.linuxalt.com/)

The table of equivalents / replacements / analogs of Windows software in Linux (http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html)

Ah, just what I was looking for, sites now bookmarked.

Posting a few days later my current line of thinking is that I won't ever convert to Linux completely as I also have two laptops and a netbook. But I would very much like to be able to do everything on my Linux desktop while I'm at home, those sites will help me to do that, thanks.

linux.is.skynet
May 30th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I use Ubuntu on my pc. I have an .iso of Snow Leopard for AMD systems that I might play with today. But that's as far as it goes. My wife has Windows 7 on her pc (bootleg) and that's because our wi-fi adapter doesn't work in Ubuntu yet. Someone has yet to make it work on this earth. At least no one in the threads have. Anyways, we share internet via ethernet.

BewareOfDog
May 30th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I use ubuntu/xubuntu linux 95% of the time. I started using ubuntu a few years ago, I just wanted to see if I could use it for all of my needs, mostly out of just being curious. Today, the only things that I use windows xp for are:
1) Video editing (because I paid for decent software a few years ago)
2) Web sites that only use IE (financial, etc). I've used IE under wine but had freeze ups and crashes with it.

When I get used to editing video in linux I will have little need for windows. Nothing against windows, I just like linux much better.

etdsbastar
May 30th, 2010, 09:01 PM
recently updated to lynx

stephan.brubaker
May 30th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I use ubuntu/xubuntu linux 95% of the time. I started using ubuntu a few years ago, I just wanted to see if I could use it for all of my needs, mostly out of just being curious. Today, the only things that I use windows xp for are:
1) Video editing (because I paid for decent software a few years ago)
2) Web sites that only use IE (financial, etc). I've used IE under wine but had freeze ups and crashes with it.

When I get used to editing video in linux I will have little need for windows. Nothing against windows, I just like linux much better.

For the problem with websites that only deal with IE I would recommend the firefox extension UserAgent Switcher (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59/), I have found maybe only one or two sites that it doesn't work for that you have to use IE for.

stephan.brubaker
May 30th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I use Ubuntu for my laptop 99% of the time. I do have a partition for Windows Vista only for Microsoft Word. I am in college and the new fonts and layout is needed so that it will appear the same if I have to e-mail or submit the paper online. Microsoft is a **** for making the switch because I believe they knew exactly who it would affect the most.

I have an old "1999" PowerMac G4 450mhz that is currently running debian only. I luckily started playing with Linux on it installed on a backup drive and then one day over a year ago my OSX system stopped booting after it crashed during a security update. So I had no choice but to wipe that drive and now debian is the only thing keeping it alive.

I have tried many distros; Ubuntu, Fedora, Opensuse, Debian even FreeBSD (just for a new flavor) and Ubuntu is the one I stay with because it always seems to work 99% flawlessly on my Acer Notebook.

DigitalDakness
May 31st, 2010, 08:06 PM
I have been playing with "linux" for a few years now,
And have been gradually weening myself off ms crap and now on my second custom build pc i have managed to do it . .!!!!
Ok i dont know half as much as many of you guys here but i feel confident enough to have ubuntu as a soul os.
What do i like about linux and ubuntu in particular??

Its free
Unlimited support from both makers and users.
No copy right issues
No need to pay a third of my wages on a piece of software when i can use a os that is NOT riddled with errors,issues whatever!
Totally customizable
updates/upgrades are downloaded rather than buying a whole new install disk.
The list can go on . . . . . . :KS:KS:KS

Issues???

There be only one issue me harties . . . . . Lack of games . . .

Karl.

George W. Tush
June 1st, 2010, 03:04 AM
I'm 100% linux and I've been that way for several years. About a year ago, I got QuickBooks Pro 99 working perfectly via Wine and, with that, my satisfaction with linux was also at 100%.

Today I did a fresh install with Lucid Lynx... and now I can't remember how I got QuickBooks to run on Karmic Koala.

Grrrrrrr.

adsrikanth
June 1st, 2010, 05:29 AM
I switched to Ubuntu. It's fast, slick and elegant. Ubuntu is way better in performance when compared to Windows. The latest version of Ubuntu simply rocks!

Ron Carson
June 1st, 2010, 12:55 PM
I switched from MS to Ubuntu about 3 months ago. I still run a copy of XP on a Sun Virtual Box for those occasions that I need something done in Windows.

jangal
June 1st, 2010, 04:09 PM
i'm completely done with MS as of three months ago and i don't miss it one bit. apparently google is done too. check this story out if haven't already:http://www.pcworld.com/article/197659/google_ditches_microsofts_windows_over_security_is sues_report_claims.html

Dragonbite
June 1st, 2010, 04:56 PM
Only thing I needed Windows for this weekend, was plugging in and getting the pictures off my son's el-cheapo digital camera.

Gotta upgrade him sometimes so he can use Linux. He even says he prefers Linux. My daughter, though, seems to be wanting to get on the computer more (yea!) but may be prefering Windows (boo!) which they use at school. We'll see about this.

huit
June 2nd, 2010, 12:54 AM
yeah and trying to convert my friends and workmates these days - even in the work environment with some success, thanks ubuntu for making it easy. I don't game now mostly because of this though - if only steam were ported :(

tom.swartz07
June 2nd, 2010, 01:04 AM
yeah and trying to convert my friends and workmates these days - even in the work environment with some success, thanks ubuntu for making it easy. I don't game now mostly because of this though - if only steam were ported :(

AHA! But Steam IS being released for Linux.
They announced it just after the Mac version came out

blackcobra
June 2nd, 2010, 02:07 AM
Yeah!
Was, dual-boot, and I stop using the windows partition completely.
Now, 100% Ubuntu!

Mattlock
June 2nd, 2010, 02:10 AM
Windows box for media/music production/gaming.
Mac box PURELY for Logic.
Ubuntu for everything else ;)

Unfortunately, one can't do it all so I went with all three.

T.Slattery
June 2nd, 2010, 05:28 PM
Just switched to Linux for the first time I am using Ubuntu. I am a hard core Windows buff! I went from my Apple 2E straight to Windows 2.1 on my IBM 386 and have used every version since then. About a week ago I randomly got the urge to try Linux, so I searched for a sweet flavor and got a cup full of Ubuntu.:cool:I have a enterprise license for Windows 7, I used it for a few months. Gotta say I like Ubuntu much better even though I'm a complete NooB again!](*,)

Screen shot of my transparent desktop I think I'm getting along nicely for a NuB! Thx Ubuntu!:-D
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j300/deviantdroogie/th_Screenshot.png (http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j300/deviantdroogie/?action=view&current=Screenshot.png)

[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j300/deviantdroogie/sig.jpg

j.scott.gwin
June 2nd, 2010, 09:15 PM
I made a clean break from windows 4 years ago and haven't looked back....

tmette
June 2nd, 2010, 10:41 PM
I switched from Windows to OSX the summer of 2006. Now after about two weeks I've been using Ubuntu as my primary OS and still have a Macbook Pro for traveling.

Frankiewizard
June 2nd, 2010, 11:46 PM
Sure you can keep W****** to play with. But when it comes to serious stuff use Linux. Have fun

uRock
June 2nd, 2010, 11:50 PM
Depends on what one calls serious stuff. Entertaining guests while using Netflix to watch a movie is important to me and can't be done in Linux. Other than that, I use Ubuntu and Peppermint to get stuff done.

Frankiewizard
June 2nd, 2010, 11:51 PM
I have stage lighting soaftware on my computer so I have to still use w***** but when I am not doing lighting I use Lucid lynX I prefere to use it all the time but there you go ! !

uRock
June 2nd, 2010, 11:54 PM
Yup. Just a few thin threads keeping W7 on my system.

Deadite81
June 3rd, 2010, 12:36 AM
Haven't used Windows for about 6 months. Don't miss it at all. I have Win7, but it's not installed on any of my 3 machines. I do get frustrated sometimes...Flash is giving me constant headaches for some reason and Rhythmbox has inexplicably died after last update. Rolling it back doesn't help either...annoying stuff like that seems to happen a lot :( Otherwise I love Linux and don't see going back to the dark side any time soon.

friTTe81
June 3rd, 2010, 04:19 PM
I recently switched on my desktop and netbook, dont understand why i havent done it earlier.
Dont miss Win at all, i use Wine for Spoti and other must have progs =)
Buntu ftw :)

Mark_in_Hollywood
June 3rd, 2010, 04:55 PM
I have run Ubuntu exclusively since 2005. This year, on a fluke, I added Windows 7. I cannot say I'm all that happy with that decision. Microsoft has not materially become a more robust OS since the days of DOS.

GreeTufty
June 4th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I had Ubuntu 6 on an old laptop until it died of old age (as laptops do). Its replacement was XP, but shortly after that XP went toes up on my PC, and have been running Ubuntu on it exclusively ever since.

I mean... I have the XP disk, but if I've lost all my programs, why run windows?

faithfracture
June 4th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I've been using mostly Linux for about 6 months now. I still have windows installed on a separate partition, but I rarely boot into it. I accidentally hosed my bootsector on the windows partition when I upgraded to 10.04 (about a week after release) and I didn't even realize it until last week. The only reason I ever boot into windows is to use a disk sync tool I purchased to back up stuff. I realize I could write my own with rsync or something. I just use the other program because I paid for it and it includes lifetime upgrades.

On my machine at work I run windows in a VM if needed (mostly to run the VSphere client), but my home machine is too wimpy to effectively run VMs. Once I build a new box though I'll have the same setup at home.

Quaich
June 5th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I stopped using XP about a year ago. The only application I miss is iTunes - I used songbird until this week - I have just upgraded to Lusty on a new (inherited) laptop and have discovered that songbird is no longer supported. I installed the old version, but am having hells own job trying to make it work. I also can't use it for the iPhone, so I am using my wife's XP for that.
For the record, my Lucid installation was (almost) seamless - under 3 hours for everything including data transfers.

If anyone has any suggestions about an iTunes alternative, please let me know. All opinions welcome.

gypaete09
June 5th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I switched to Linux in september 2007, after having seen how sluggishly Vista would behave on a top-end machine - it would dream along for a while even if iot just had to show a local directory, etc.

I wanted a PC that reacts instantly to what I ask from it, and found that under Linux. Hadn't seen that since the DOS days.

I run my one-man company's work on my only PC, and under Linux.

I had to carry a few apps along under windows (rather XP then), and did so
under Virtualbox.

Just lately, I added a laptop, where the existing Vista installation would consider itself broken after the Linux Install on half the disk, and would start the system restore utility, claiming the full disk back.
My answer: I shot the Restore and Vista partitions, and I run the machine under Linux only, with a "tolerated XP" in a virtualbox machine.

I also swithed my french invoicing software to Linux (finally!) and use Laurux now.
Nice and fast - still some beta-trouble, but getting better every day.

Once on Linux, you won't go back - same as for the Mac-tribe.

OCEAN11
June 5th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I have been using Ubuntu for over two years now, mostly 100 percent of the time, it's my main os at home. \\:D/

At work, I use PTC Pro-Engineer Wildfire 4.0 for CADD design, and use Surfcam and Mastercam CNC programming software that is not usually used in Linux, PTC quit support after Wildfire 3.0, and I have tried googling, searching for anyone that has been able to install these CADD & CAM programs, I would love to use them in Ubuntu, hopefully I can find someone willing to help with this issue...

I did have Windows7 Beta ( dual booted with Ubuntu) installed till the end of it's allowed time, which it was good, really had no problems with it what-so-ever, ran very smooth, not one single driver issue, but I have big hate for MS, so it's been a dream to have a system where I don't have to worry about changing my hardware when it goes down, and not to worry to have to call a company for permission to have an access code to log-into my own computer...:frown::evil:](*,)

Another reason:
A friend of mine had received an e-mail from someone he did not know, he opened it, and it ran an exe file where it brought him to an attack site with malware, spyware, and a virus where it shut-down his pc, and it copied all of his contacts and sent the same e-mail to everyone, I was the only one out of 25 people that did not get infected because of me using Ubuntu, I did open the e-mail, but a window appeared and it went red, stating this was an attack site, please close this window now, which I did, but so many people had to have their pc's totally re-done, it was a real mess, but I have had not a single issue, which is my I'm still using Ubuntu today, Many thanks to everyone that makes Linux and Ubuntu for what it is!!=D>8-) \\:D/

nvraja
June 5th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I've Ubuntu at home and CentOS at office, completely Linux! And I love it!

udeyrishi1994
June 5th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I love ubuntu, use it for most of my purposes. But i can't remove windows as ubuntu doesn't have itunes. i have ipod nano 4g, and it has this ultra cool feature called genius, and the songs can be put into a "genius playlist" by it, only if it is provided with data about songs from iTunes, and i don't think any other software can make ipod run genius...so sad...

One more thing, I can't find a user friendly scheduler for ubuntu, like "Auto poer on & shut down" is for windows. I use this software a lot, as all my downloading is done during night time when I'm sleeping, so that by morning, i'm ready with my stuff. Auto power on & off + utorrent+IDM does it flawlessly in windows.

these 2 tasks make me work in windows more. If canonical makes something to fix these for ubuntu, i'll remove windows the same day!

emergingtechnologies
June 5th, 2010, 09:30 PM
I stopped using XP about a year ago. The only application I miss is iTunes - I used songbird until this week - I have just upgraded to Lusty on a new (inherited) laptop and have discovered that songbird is no longer supported. I installed the old version, but am having hells own job trying to make it work. I also can't use it for the iPhone, so I am using my wife's XP for that.
For the record, my Lucid installation was (almost) seamless - under 3 hours for everything including data transfers.

If anyone has any suggestions about an iTunes alternative, please let me know. All opinions welcome.

This is my story EXACTLY! I have 2 laptops running Ubuntu but I still have to keep my CRAP XP box alive for ONE REASON: iTUNES!!!

I am so ready to get rid of it but I use my iPods CONSTANTLY and so does my wife.

I am thinking presently of simply ditching APPLE -- jailbreaking the ipods and then just using other sources for music... but I know I'll knock myself in the forhead about SOMETHING that I'll miss.

I know my XP box BADLY needs a restore with Ubuntu --it's just dying. I don't know if I can even "clean" it back to trouble free functionality. iTunes is such a resource hog that the thing can barely push it. Open one other application and BANG -- freeze.

Do I drop a grand on a damn APPLE just because I love my little devices?

That's where I'm at. I'm not giving another dime to Microsoft but I feel like I am being extorted by APPLE.

Old Newville
June 5th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I installed Ubuntu about 18 months ago and it breathed new life into my tired Dell box.

I found a whole bunch of new uses for my computer that I would never have found with Windows, which doesn't exactly invite one to use the computer -- you usually can't wait to finish what you're doing so you can turn it off. Windows just breeds frustration. How do they stay in business with that kind of customer dissatisfaction?

My wife connects to her office computer at home with Ubuntu, checks work emails with Ubuntu -- so no compatibility problems there. We do all our surfing and emailing with Ubuntu.

I installed XP in Virtualbox because my wife writes reports in Microsoft Word. Also, there are online courses I'm interested in that require Windows. So we usually have both Windows and Ubuntu running at the same time.

My six-year-old daughter likes the games and educational software I downloaded from the repositories, like Tuxmath, Stellarium, etc. Overall, our experience of home computing is much more positive with Ubuntu than it was with Windows.

What got us to switch? I had been exploring Linux for a few months but hadn't made the switch. Then, we noticed our computer had a trojan that kept turning off the firewall. We use our home computer for work, so that was alarming. Then, the computer really started to misfire and we lost a couple of home studies that had to be rewritten from scratch. We were already frustrated enough with the perpetual updates from Microsoft and other vendors that pretty much chewed up system resources 24/7. I felt like Microsoft did more work on my computer than I did, and we still got a trojan! What were we paying Norton for, anyway?

I was happy Ubuntu gave us a way to leave the nightmare behind.

uRock
June 5th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I don't have any of those problems with Windows. I have had more crashes in Ubuntu in the past few weeks than I have ever had in Windows. I love ubuntu and its philosophy, but it is just giving more trouble than it is worth on my desktop machine. I do still use it on my netbook and once the devs create a new kernel update I will boot ubuntu and see if it fixes the Plymouth/nVidia issues.

matty-guy
June 5th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Haven't used Windows at home for a long time. Maybe 2 years now. I had to use XP for school work and same for 6th form. I don't really use many programs so I've never had any trouble finding similar programs to Windows ones.

aphatak
June 5th, 2010, 11:02 PM
In my home, I have two file servers and one desktop which have Ubuntu LTS, one home-theater PC that runs Windows 7 and Ubuntu LTS, and one laptop (tablet, really) that runs Windows Vista, Ubuntu, Fedora and OpenSUSE. I keep Windows for the following reasons -
1) Home-theater PC: only for Netflix movies. I normally run Ubuntu to record and watch video; Netflix does not allow me to watch movies except on Windows.
2) Tablet: Handwriting recognition. Windows Journal has got everything else beat in this area - Xournal does not come anywhere near it.
3) My employer's Intranet requires Internet Explorer - it refuses to work with Firefox.
Apart from this, I have switched over to Linux completely - audio recording / mixing, photography, video, and my personal document management.

Austin25
June 5th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I had a duel boot. Then my hard drive corrupted. I wiped it completely and put Ubuntu on there alone.

seenthelite
June 6th, 2010, 12:29 AM
I have not completely switched to Linux. I am one of those lucky people who can use Windows on my computers without any drama, so see no point in not using XP,Vista and Windows 7, I also use Ubuntu 64 bit,Ubuntu 32 bit, Kubuntu and Puppy.

Maverick52
June 7th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Proud, full Ubuntu 10.04 user, I'm done with microsoft for good!!! there's nothing I can't find an answer to in the forums and repositories!!!
Thx, Open Source!!

bakechad
June 8th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I started with Slackware 3.4 in 1997 and mostly ran server side stuff until about 2005.

I have been completely off of Windows for nearly 4 years.

Running

Main Desktop - Ubuntu 10.04
Main Server - Xubuntu 9.10
Dev Machine - Xubuntu 8.04
Music Player #1 - Slackware 13.0
Music Player #2 - Xubuntu 10.04
Antique laptop - Puppy Linux 4.3

Breambutt
June 8th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I've been "completely Linux" for years, "these" because I've tried a couple of games on excess hardware but quickly dumped the installation. It's a good thing they don't make interesting big budget games any more. Still have a license for Adobe Premiere though, so that's one thing that could break what's "complete" about my Tuxhood.

dugh
June 8th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I've been totally Ubuntu for 3 years now, no regrets at all. I had played around with Linux for years before then, and used Unix/Linux servers for many years.

Recently I started occasionally loading up Windows just to play an old game I still like - it was working fine in Wine, but stopped working after I upgraded to 10.04. I could just set up a windows virtualbox, but it seems overkill for my laptop.

One annoying thing is that people assume you are for open source just for its own sake. There are real, tangible advantages to open source options. Some people haven't been burned by proprietary software or services, so they don't understand (bugs that never get fixed, features that never get implemented, vendor lock-in, companies going out of business...).
That doesn't mean I'm against proprietary stuff - I use Google apps, twitter, heck most of the stuff on the web is still proprietary.

Daycare
June 8th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I've only just switched my laptop over to Ubuntu this last weekend. After spending a few days getting used to it I'll be installing on my desktop tonight. (Still have to use Windows at work), need to locate a thread telling me how to remove windows completely from my system now :)

KingYaba
June 8th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I've only just switched my laptop over to Ubuntu this last weekend. After spending a few days getting used to it I'll be installing on my desktop tonight. (Still have to use Windows at work), need to locate a thread telling me how to remove windows completely from my system now :)

Boot up a Live CD and access GParted from the file menu. It will show you your partitions and you can proceed to delete one or all. Just be careful that you don't inadvertently delete your Ubuntu setup. :)

Daycare
June 8th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Boot up a Live CD and access GParted from the file menu. It will show you your partitions and you can proceed to delete one or all. Just be careful that you don't inadvertently delete your Ubuntu setup. :)

Thanks, that'll be the last I see of Windows on my laptop!

blchinezu
June 8th, 2010, 10:45 PM
same here

spike_naples
June 9th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Pure Ubuntu. Going on 3 years now but not an expert on it at all. I love it just the same. Ang galing!

spike_naples
June 9th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I've made about a 75% swap - things I need windows for are:

Games - although I have little time for them at the moment
iTune support for my iPod - I'm using amarok but some mp3s I have put onto my iPod through it don't work and cause it to reboot which proved too annoying, at least iTunes vets the mp3s and fixes them.
BitTorrent - I've tried for ages to get it working but still no luck :(

however, things I have switched over to ubuntu for and find great:

website development - bluefish and php/mysql works well
internet and email - much more secure
watching films and tv - linux does it just as well

I'm a big fan, if I had more time I would like to learn more but it serves my purposes for now as a casual user.

How do you get to make your tv tuner work?

baha'a
June 10th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

GSF1200S
June 11th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Well, Im currently booting 4 operating systems... and none of them are Windows (Arch, Gentoo, Ubuntu, and Fedora). Ive been dual-booting for a long time, but eventually found I had better things to do than those things I used Windows for (games only).

After starting with Linux in March of 07, I can now officially say I am completely Windows free as a result of removing Windows XP from my desktop last week. :guitar:

**EDIT** It should be noted that noone in my house uses Windows anymore either. Both the other computers run Ubuntu mini w/ LXDE (old computers). Yeah, I converted them, but not by force- they asked for Linux...

dvwolfman
June 11th, 2010, 03:28 AM
I have not used windows since evaluating 10.04 and deciding I could make the full switch, about 4 weeks ago, though I was switching back to windows for pro audio apps when using 9.04...
I love the new design and have become involved in the Ubuntu community here in MA!

"Ubuntu: make, make install"

However, I have all that old data from Cubase and Reason, so I leave the Winblows installation in place in grub bootloader, though running a VM version of windoze might solve this for me when I have time, and allow me to retrieve my audio masters from Cubase...I actually tried that, and had playback problems with Virtualbox, so am hostage to myself in a strange way, hostage to my old closed source recordings :(:lolflag:

ranch hand
June 11th, 2010, 04:06 AM
I have not used windows since evaluating 10.04 and deciding I could make the full switch, about 4 weeks ago, though I was switching back to windows for pro audio apps when using 9.04...
I love the new design and have become involved in the Ubuntu community here in MA!

"Ubuntu: make, make install"

However, I have all that old data from Cubase and Reason, so I leave the Winblows installation in place in grub bootloader, though running a VM version of windoze might solve this for me when I have time, and allow me to retrieve my audio masters from Cubase...I actually tried that, and had playback problems with Virtualbox, so am hostage to myself in a strange way, hostage to my old closed source recordings :(:lolflag:
Go to synaptic and look for OggConvert if your problem is the file format. It is a pretty neat tool for converting to OSS formats. You may want to try it on copies of some of your files and see if it works for you.

finlayj
June 11th, 2010, 04:10 AM
I started out in 1980 with an Apple II with a floppy and 48K RAM. Expanded it to 512K bank switched RAM and 5 MB hard drive. Then moved to IBM compatible. Over the years had to upgrade hardware/software but finally became fed up with all the expense of forever having to upgrade software to run on the newest MS operating system version. Last straw was upgrade to Windows 7 and having to constantly update antivirus/antispyware programs. Downloaded Ubuntu Karmic Koala and tried it out. When Lucid Lynx beta came out, gave it a try. As of April 2010 I wiped all remnants of Microsoft from computer and have been happily running nothing but Ubuntu. It works, the price is right, and there is lots of support available for any problem that might pop up. I would recommend all MS Windows users to switch to Ubuntu ASAP and enjoy the experience.

maddbaron
June 11th, 2010, 04:17 AM
I'd love to make the full conversion if only the tax programs would work with wine or something...