PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

GepettoBR
March 29th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I have been using Linux exclusively on my home computer for around 4 years. Now with 8.10 I feel comfortable telling others they can do the same.

I still don't feel completely comfortable with that, especially because of PulseAudio's situation in Intrepid, but also because of a few other (minor) things. Pulse is supposed to be fixed in Jaunty, so maybe I'll change my mind this year :)

armageddon08
March 29th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I have at last; but with a heavy heart. You know, I had to compromise on my gaming needs.

sJ&$op*2W
March 29th, 2009, 05:46 PM
a

2genes
March 30th, 2009, 03:08 AM
im thinking of delete the xp partition the last week.

I just read that someone wrote that "if you are thinking about it , then you are ready..."
so, lets go!

Ampi
March 30th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I completely switched to different Linux distros, Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based distros being my favourites.
But on my still-to-be-bought-laptop I'm considering a small partition with XP. This because of progams like Oovoo, Voipbuster and software for my mobile phone that somehow I can't get configured on Linux.
Overall, it has been 3 years without Windows. Just like Windows also in Linux I have a lot of fights with my computer, but Linux is the only one rewarding my efforts!

Basiic
March 30th, 2009, 10:41 AM
After I found Aptana Studio for linux, I pretty much did the switch. I have found every alternative app for linux that I had on my windows pc. Well the only thing I am missing is Netflix watch now, but I have been using my xbox360 to watch Netflix so its ok. :)

rodneymillerpca
March 30th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I went from Linux in the 70's to the windows revolution with version 3.1, then finally in 2008 regained all common scene and found Ubuntu. lol.

Lunx
March 30th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

It was three months ago exactly since I first tried a Live Ubuntu CD, took all of five minutes to convince me to install it (dual install with XP, just in case...) Two days later I realised there was no "just in case" required, been Ubuntu only since then and haven't regretted it one bit.

Also discovered Puppy Linux now, I'm booting that off an old 256MB flashdrive I had laying in a drawer gathering dust.

CK05
March 30th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Been using XP for years, almost since it first came out. Rock solid but it gave up on me for the second time just a few months ago.

I don't game on PC's anymore (PS3 cures that), so I switched exclusively. I own a licence of Photoshop CS4 which was a bit hard to switch over but it runs like 90% okay through wine so it's pretty good.

Ubuntu is really polished, I am really enjoying it at the moment. Perfect computer for web, email and a little photo-editing. :)

sunseeker888
March 30th, 2009, 11:27 PM
nearly there, last pc being converted.

Good riddance windows & Bill

RaZoR1394
March 30th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I converted all 5 boxes to Jaunty beta recently and they work great after being plagued by W7 test. It's almost as If you were ready to cry. The PS3 is still stuck at 9.04 alpha and is very slow... I'll see what I can do about that.

I've tried Windows 7 extensively on many machines, new and old, and it was utter sh*t; crashing, blue-screens, virus hijacked Kaspersky w7 beta and disabled it, more viruses, long file names not allowed (ntfs), usb ports shutting down and not coming back up (keyboard and mouse unusable, managed to fix this partially by turning of that "feature"), inability to repair system after crash (no repair attempt was successful), no upgrade was successful no matter what build I tried (Upgrade often reached 90% telling there was a conflict), inability to install on anything other than my WD Raptor (7 drives in the box and 2 external), indexing not working properly and bitlocker failing severely.

I haven't been in need of the RESET and PWR button in a long long time but also not banging my fist on the keyboard.

The only good things about W7 was the good tabletpc out of the box support, less hogging of resources than Vista, the looks and the out of the box biometric support.

JoeMurder
March 31st, 2009, 02:41 AM
Ubuntu on my laptop for school and such, and Windows on my desktop for games.

woppy71
March 31st, 2009, 02:43 AM
Well, I would have made the switch ages ago, but the missus didn't really like Linux....but, along came Ubuntu and now she is converted! So, windows has finally been laid to rest for me, lol!

:KS

Peasantoid
March 31st, 2009, 03:08 AM
Installed Hardy on my MacBook. Never looked back. :)

OS X may be Unix-like, but screw that, I can't customize it and the windows look freakin' ugly.

LuigiAntoniol
March 31st, 2009, 06:44 AM
At home, I have been MS-free since September 2008. Started off with Ultimate Edition, and have recently upgraded to 8.10.

Never looked back.:guitar:

At the office, we're all forced to use MS.:(

racepres
March 31st, 2009, 05:27 PM
Only on PeeCee's.. Haven't used ******* since 99.. but still use Mac in the office. [since 99] RP

Alex Yeh
March 31st, 2009, 07:04 PM
Switched completely to *real* unix about 6-7 months ago (OpenBSD, from Mac OS X), I've switched to linux entirely for pragmatic reasons. Spent a lot of time wm surfing recently; Gnome seems best for me, for now. FVWM crystal seems worthy of further investigation; the configuration seems a bit too involved for now.

owend
March 31st, 2009, 08:03 PM
99% switched for last two years, I have to have XP for ONE proprietory program for work which has to have Internet Explorer, and which I can't get to run through Wine (yet, I'm still trying). Also to run a Canon scanner (not used much), but when drivers are available for the Canon (unlikely) or when I get a new scanner (money shortages!).....

I've been on Hardy, pretty good, now on Mint 6 which is so far bulletproof and runs well out of the box with easy codec and NVIDIA etc setup, and because it's a Ubuntu offshoot the Ubuntu forums are invaluable for advice (and try to get THAT in Windows!).

I might give Fedora 11 a try when its final version comes out in May, it sounds good.

codeseer
March 31st, 2009, 08:51 PM
I have a dual-boot setup of Ubuntu 8.10 and Windows Vista. The only times I am still using Vista is to check little things like the layout of .docs in OpenOffice vs Microsoft Office while I'm still adjusting to the transition and to watch Reaper or Desperate Housewives, because CWTV and ABC use that lame 'move player' that doesn't work on Linux.

dreperk
April 1st, 2009, 12:18 AM
I have been using Linux on and off since the last commercial RedHat release. I really was introduced to Linux by ArcLinux. I went from that to RedHat, then Suse (9.0 I think), and then fedora. I also dabbled with Linspire when it first came out. I did not like it too much, but it sparked my interest in the Debian distros. I've played Madden on PC since 1999, so you have to imagine that was a nagging monkey wrench for me (among some hardware issues), thus the "on and off". I have been using Ubuntu on and off (but with more frequency) since 6.04. I have finally made the switch on my Compaq Presario laptop and do not see myself looking back. I have purchased a full version of M$ Office 2007 (for several reasons, business and church related), so I have been running Sun's VirtualBox for when I have to use M$ Office. My other system is Vista Home Premium. As soon as I figure out how to use the Media Center Keyboard and Remotes with Ubuntu, along with my Hauppague TV Card (haven't played with Myth enough), I'm probably making the switch there. There still remains one more thing keeping me from being free from Windows (aside from work... IT Support for Windows Systems/Networks): I have a Lexmark x9575 All-In-One printer (and it is sick, IMO!). Too bad there are no Linux drivers or workarounds.

(Whew... long winded for my first post, huh?:oops: I'll try to keep it short from here;).)

dragos240
April 1st, 2009, 01:22 AM
I think I have, I haven't used my windows for 10 months and do not plan ever using it again, and if i ever need to, I will run it inside a vbox. Linux pwns.

GepettoBR
April 1st, 2009, 01:27 AM
(for several reasons, business and church related)

Church related? Wow, Microsoft has their tentacles spread wide.

Adler
April 1st, 2009, 01:51 AM
Hi All,

I've been running Linux since SuSE 9.0, and have learned to go develop Web Sites / Forums / Blogs from there onwards.

All using open source.

As we used to say in the past - All Good Clean Fun!

jcris
April 1st, 2009, 02:07 AM
I made the "total" switch about 3 years ago, after dual booting slackware, and XP. My first week of using Ubuntu I made the switch to pure linux. I have more faith in Ubuntu than I have ever had in any OS, and I've used quite a few. Zenwalk, Fedora, PCLinuxOS, Wolvix, Mandriva/drake, and many more. The only breakage Ive ever had in Ubuntu was brought on by me, and my constant "tweaking". By pure I mean windows/wine/crossover free. Just Ubuntu and nothing else.

Adler
April 1st, 2009, 02:55 AM
Hi All,

I'm working on it!

D10
April 1st, 2009, 01:29 PM
At home I completely switched to Linux about 6-7 years ago. Most of the games I played could be played using WINE or had a Linux version, and then I got a 360 a few years ago to cover the newer games.

I have 2 work stations at work one XP to maintain the servers and such. My main workstation is Ubuntu 8.04 which is used 95% of the time.

dreperk
April 1st, 2009, 03:13 PM
Church related? Wow, Microsoft has their tentacles spread wide.I know. There are quite a few people who have brought pouer poynt presentations that needed to be edited just before service. The free viewer works ok, but not when you need to edit. Usually proprietary fonts are used, which spells disaster when editing with OpenOffice (more often than not). I broke down and purchased it (I handled a lot of the audio-visual stuff). That was probably a year ago. I just made the complete switch about a week ago.

smackheadz
April 1st, 2009, 03:33 PM
100% linux on this lappy :D

folksteve
April 1st, 2009, 03:46 PM
I was introduced to linux five months ago at college and (as with most things) have completely thrown myself into the deepend. I started with 'Ubuntu Studio' as i am a Music production student and as well as using 'Logic' and 'Pro tools' (on a Mac) we use things like 'Ardour' and its many tools.

Using it at home was a failure so i now use 'Ubuntu' and just install the 'Studio' audio package, best of both worlds. I also tried switching completely but it all went wrong and XP was put back (woops early days).

Having always been a 'Windows' user i have kept XP (just in case of any....mishaps) as a dual boot as i believe it was Windows (only) best OS that just WORKS! Come to think of it i havnt logged into it for a while 8-[

Im getting to know it more and more by breaking it and then fixing it again and again etc, all the time finding new ways to do things. Much like the very old windows it just works, you can also tart it up as much as you like and it doesnt slow down (Bonus). Same thing goes for 'Open Office' 'Firefox' and 'Thunderbird'.

There are still many problems that need fixing such as 'Skype' crashing and 'Grub' needs making user friendly and pleasing to the eye. But its getting there.

And the best thing about it is its FREE!! Which is ideal with this whole recession business.

Cheers Ubuntu!

donovan1983
April 2nd, 2009, 08:23 AM
I've attempted to switch many times over the years. I've been dabbling in Linux for about 10 years now and first tried to switch around 2002 or so. I had a bit better luck switching to Mac OS X than Linux mainly due to either software bugs or lack of hardware support.

I did just buy an Acer Aspire One 10" netbook that of course came with Windows XP. I quickly grew exasperated with using a kludgy, decrepit OS and tried both openSUSE 11.1 and Ubuntu 9.04 beta on here and Ubuntu is staying. I might install XP in VirtualBox so I can use Netflix's streaming feature but otherwise I just see no purpose to having Windows installed on here. All my hardware works fine with no tinkering needed and I've used many of the applications I'm using on here on other OS's for years anyway. World of Warcraft works fine with Wine. This machine is replacing a nearly 4-year-old Apple iBook G4 and is my new primary machine. Soon the RAM will be upgraded to 2GB and a 500GB hard drive will be installed. The various Windows stickers have been peeled off and I may look into getting a keycap to replace the Windows key with something more generic.

I think I'm beyond the dabbling stage by now. I've played with an insane number of open-source operating systems over the years and Ubuntu has been the most endearing to me. Using it has a feeling of familiarity and it certainly helps that it has a vast user community to help with issues or questions. It's taken a long while but I finally have gotten to the point where I'm ready to truly switch to open-source.

wicky_ts
April 2nd, 2009, 01:52 PM
Now completely ubuntu. Wasted 7 years with windows.

mad_max0204
April 2nd, 2009, 11:41 PM
I wasted much more than 7 but I'm a happy winfree linux user.

My switch was easy since I dont play games. I dont have time :D

Anyways, no more crapdows for me EVER on my computers.

ranch hand
April 2nd, 2009, 11:57 PM
Yup, me too. I started with MSDos, went to MSDos with DosShell (a great upgrade), stuck with that till 1998 and went to Win98. Stuck with that until last year and bought a new box that came with Vista Home Premium. This, contrary to most reports, is not an upgrade from Win98.

I thank MS and their devs for Vista, without which I would still be using some crappy MS product.

Ralex1098
April 3rd, 2009, 12:25 AM
Ubuntu is installed on my Alienware desktop and my Dell mini. Wouldn't have it any other way.

JC Cheloven
April 3rd, 2009, 01:16 AM
Only two reasons for using windos for me:

1.- Some legacy .ppt slideshows I still use, which OOo plays badly in some details. Slowly disappearing.

2.- At work, I have to fulfil sometimes templates in .doc format. Some of them are less-than-perfectly understood by OOo. BTW, it's a government related institution. It's a shame they insist in using closed formats.

Other than that, only linux here.

LiamWilson
April 3rd, 2009, 01:22 AM
I put Ubuntu on My eMachines G520, as soon as it came out the box, before I even switched it on.

I now use Ubuntu 99% of the time at home. However, it is connected to a Windows network so I can print stuff Wirelessly. (Good ol' Samba!)

I also use Windows in school, but when I go into college, I can bring in my Ubuntu Laptop :)

jonathonblake
April 3rd, 2009, 04:00 AM
I'm "stuck" with Linux.:)

I write documentation, and provide support for a couple of Windows programs. I'm supposed to be beta testing one right now. However, it requires Net 3.5.

I dug up my Win2K install CD.
I found a hard drive to put into my system.
I installed Win2K.
Keyboard: That works;
Mouse: That works;
Monitor: 680x480 screen with 16 colours. (My dos box displays more colours than that.)

So I dig out the CD that came with the motherboard. I discovered that it has Linux drivers, that I haven't installed. What it doesn't have, is drivers for Win2K. The WinXP drivers won't install on a Win2K system.

Now wondering if I should see how well RedHat 5.0 works in my System. I've got the install CDs.

jonathon

azmike
April 3rd, 2009, 05:13 AM
Thought that vista had some cool looking stuff but it sure is fluff this very unstable OS is a joke. The compatibility issues give me a headache. I believe it will not be long and my desktop with vita will soon bee my desktop with Ubuntu on it. Right now I am using my HP ze2308wm that originally had XP and it was stable but was beginning to have issues so I swapped OS couple of days ago and found the correct fix for the wireless and we are very happy.The stability is awesome my desktop with vista can't stay on the network for three hours without losing it's NIC communication. I can't wait to wipe that one and install Ubuntu for good.

nmccrina
April 4th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Completely Windows-free for the third time! (I keep sneaking back about once every six months to see if things have improved, but they haven't. and won't :D)

vieux
April 4th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Am trying hard to be completely Linux.. however, there is a certain amount of dependencies i have to get rid off before i can do that. In the meantime, I'm stuck with tribooting Vista, Windows 7 and Ubuntu on my main machine. Once i get the appropriate conversions done, I'll most probably be Vista free. However, i still don't see any major need to remove Windows 7 yet. Unlike a lot of others, I have no issues using whichever operating system best serves my purpose at that particular point in time.

besides, dual boxing World of warcraft seems to go better under windows than via Wine.. for now.. :)

coeus82
April 5th, 2009, 12:55 AM
I first installed Ubuntu on my laptop, just to try it out. It was my 3rd time trying linux (the other two were with Fedora). Before I would install it as a dual boot on my desktop but I found myself never using it, thus never taking the time to learn it. Since I depend on my computer for work I never booted into Linux. So, about a year and a half ago I decided to install Ubuntu on my laptop. I only use my laptop for browsing the net, checking email, etc. This being the case I would always boot into Ubuntu when using my laptop. After about half a year of doing this I got used to Ubuntu and decided to make it the main boot on my desktop. I've been using Ubuntu ever since. I keep Windows XP as a second OS, but like Fedora before, I rarely boot into it.

So, if you want someone to try Ubuntu but they are afraid, I would recommend you tell them to try it on their laptop first... assuming they only use their laptop for simple tasks as I mentioned. Once they get comfortable with it, I doubt they would have a problem installing it on their main computer.

looplu
April 5th, 2009, 01:13 AM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

well yeah , your gaming with the future of computing, sticking to a monopoly like that.

Mehall
April 5th, 2009, 01:40 AM
well yeah , your gaming with the future of computing, sticking to a monopoly like that.

And Given that Valve are apparently porting the Source Engine to Linux native, we may all be gaming in Linux quickly.

This is very sensible of VALVe given that somehting like 0.5% of all Steam users report using Linux. And you need to remember, WINE doesn't report it's running Linux, it tells the apps it's on Windows. (XP by default) so it's probably closer to 2%, and that's not counting all the people who, like me, have a Windows partition just to play games.

prince_niceguy
April 7th, 2009, 07:03 AM
I have moved completely to linux... well almost. for playing games I have to go to windows. and yes for tvu player too ...

well now tvu player is resolved thanks to this post (http://linux4humanbeing.blogspot.com/2009/04/how-to-install-tvuplayer-on-linux.html)...

games will continue to try on wine if it does not work then only windows... but it is not that much...

dspari1
April 7th, 2009, 07:09 AM

Just get a PS3 or 360.

Rudi_C
April 7th, 2009, 07:36 PM
My xp pc was lost on the 1st Jan 09 by lightning, probably a sign from above :p

I've been using Ubuntu on my laptop since about three years ago and just didn't bother to install xp somewhere again. My son's xp pc has been down now for almost 3 months with a virus problem or something and I told him he should just install Ubuntu, but he's also a bit of a pc gamer so now he doesn't have internet access.

I just love Ubuntu, it just works ALWAYS

rvpartsguy06
April 7th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Well I am official.... I have dual booted for months hopping between distros and keep coming back to ubuntu because of the stability and massive support system(via this forum and many sources on the web)....with that said... I know longer dual boot...i realized i was only using windows to update and sync my blackberry... oh and the 4 year olds computer runs Mint only....can't get the 18year old to switch...but she will eventually

Quake
April 7th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Just get a PS3 or 360.

Nah, I like gaming with the keyboard and mouse.

Methuselah
April 7th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I must have posted here before, but I've completely switched.
I have one older DELL dimension that came with windows and is still running it, though it also has Ubuntu.

My current machine was built from scratch and runs Ubuntu exclusively as does two other computing devices in the home.

I have Nintendo consoles for gaming but I do have a few PC games.
Thankfully, they all work almost flawlessly under wine so I don't even have to miss them.

At this point, the latest windows OSs feel alien to me.
I don't have Vista at home and I use windows Xp at work.
I've definitely switched as far as personal computer use if concerned.

deadguy87
April 7th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I'll be switching back to Ubuntu when i get my new optical drive. I switched back to windows for video chat, I didn't have a linux compatible web cam.

I am so sick of windows now. I am going to go without video chat for the sake of stability, efficiency, and customization. Just need to get that new CD burner.

MuddBuddha
April 8th, 2009, 12:18 AM
all the PC's in our house are Ubuntu. We all have video chat as well with Skype. The laptops are using the Logitech QuickCam Mobile ($35 @ Best Buy, $25 on ebay). My Dell desktop is using a VX5000 by Microsoft which works VERY well under Ubuntu.

All our Tivo's run linux too :)

Don't have Windows, dont' need Windows, dont' want Windows.

Sometimes it's better not being another brick in the wall.

d2globalinc
April 8th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Not a windows PC left in the house.. 10 PC's in all + 2 notebooks - all Ubuntu - now all being upgraded to Jaunty and EXT4 filesystems (its just fast!)..

Shane

As for others - I've converted over 100+ machines personally from windows vista and XP to Ubuntu.. Both in business and home environments.. and we have a 20+ workstation conversion next week.

coolcupid
April 9th, 2009, 08:18 AM
i have only Ubuntu 8.10 in my Laptop........

White Rasta
April 9th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Not completly
only on my lappy
my desktop is running xp
it's fun watching it bluescreen and reboot when it try streaming files to my lappy

jarrah-95
April 9th, 2009, 10:25 AM
i use ubuntu full time exept when i want to record tv witch i need xp for
ubuntu dosent support my tv dongle i hope this is fixed in 9.04 so i dont need xp anymore
i also use xp just incase i stuff ubuntu up (unlikley but just in case (more likley ill stuff up windows)) its easer to fix with an os on the computer than none
other than that i use it full time
only other time i use it is at school

Storm76c
April 9th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I use Ubuntu has my primary Os but still have XP for some work related items.

jayanramesh
April 9th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Even though I am a ubuntu-addict I am obliged to go for Vista to take the benefit of video chat & voice chat and a few like this.I love and adore "UBUNTU"-This is my food for my soul.
Thanks

nengracia
April 9th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I have completely migrated into Ubuntu. I recently dared to install it to try it out and I was amazed at how much it can compete with Windows - and the best thing about that is - everything's free!

Made the switch but am still trying to move around everything in it - the system, applications, etc. The only thing I have issues with is its "online activities". Whenever I re-install, I always need to get online for the updates, upgrades, applications, etc - it's too time-consuming.

Other than that - this is all PERFECT!

anjilslaire
April 9th, 2009, 05:09 PM
IThe only thing I have issues with is its "online activities". Whenever I re-install, I always need to get online for the updates, upgrades, applications, etc - it's too time-consuming.

Windows is just as bad, needing well over 60+ updates after an install in most cases. Also, you need to go online to activate your license, which IMO is worse. In fact updating Windows via Microsoft Update is far more time consuming than Apt.

ranch hand
April 9th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Windows is just as bad, needing well over 60+ updates after an install in most cases. Also, you need to go online to activate your license, which IMO is worse. In fact updating Windows via Microsoft Update is far more time consuming than Apt.

+1

Hunting through 983 sites for a program is fun too under Win.

Proteusiq
April 9th, 2009, 08:07 PM
From Vista to Ubuntu! 100% Ubuntu and loving it!

linux-trap
April 11th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I have now 5 computers running Linux, i keep one on windows7 for MS-flightsim.

gmanigault
April 12th, 2009, 07:21 AM
I totally switched to linux. I have 2 linux servers running webmin, on Smoothwall firewall and on desktop linux version. If you want to play games get a xbox.

Stalkersway
April 12th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Downloaded Ubuntu 8.10 on New Years day and have not yet needed winxp yet though I fear I may yet have to reinstall for games...

J3rry
April 12th, 2009, 08:37 AM
All of my machines running Ubuntu(9.04ß) now...
I have a complete Microsoft free zone here.

JackH79
April 12th, 2009, 08:52 AM
If I wasn't running a number of highly specialised software packages that aren't available for Linux (and/or have no adequate counterpart in the 'free' world), I would say "yes".
Alas, Vista is still happily running on my machine.

(And even though I might get locked up in the madhouse for this: I actually like Vista and it has been running perfectly stable for a long time. Tried a number of different OSs and the only one I (yeeees, this is my personal opinion, sorry) don't really like is Mac.)

truonggiang231
April 12th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I'm using Ubuntu full time with my computer. I'm a big fan of Ubuntu though I'm a newbie. I knew Ubuntu 4 months ago :lolflag:

villainy
April 12th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I run a dual boot with Ubuntu and Vista. I rarely use Vista though. I only use it when I add stuff to my iPod, rip CDs, burn DVDs, etc. and the rare occasion of booting up CS:Source. Other than that, I am mostly on Ubuntu. It serves me well and best of all, everything works without being boggy and slow.

I love it :D

ranch hand
April 12th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I use the CD and DVD tools in Ubuntu. I had 14 CDs that Wista said were bad. Ubuntu used 12 of them with no trouble at all and they are still working fine.

Gorja
April 13th, 2009, 02:52 PM
on my Laptop: 8 weeks only Ubuntu
on my Server: Ubuntu for about 2 Years... but WinXP in a VMWare_Server if a have a need to it :)

furytheory
April 13th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I have one computer that has XP on it. My kids have U.B. Funkeys, and I like Macromedia Fireworks over Gimp. I told the Grandparents to QUIT buying crap that only works with Windows and if they want to get them a computer anything -- MAKE sure it works on Linux. I got the "deer in the headlights" looks.
I highly recommend the change. It is nice to tell my family that don't work with Windows any more. (Hint, hint: I don't want to fix your damned computer.) Then tell them that I will install Ubuntu for them and totally pimp the fact it is NOT necessary for me to run anti-virus and I don't have to pay for broken software.

digitalvectorz
April 13th, 2009, 04:05 PM
the only reason i would use windows on my machines is to play WoW. And since i've quit playing WoW, I don't use windows anymore.

Though I will use windows VM's for IE6 and IE7 to test out CSS code and the like. Other than that, I'm a complete linux user.

skiplin43
April 13th, 2009, 04:51 PM
:KS;)I switched about 2 years ago. I just got a net book Asus 701 and am running Ubuntu on that also. My wife and son use Windows, but it is amazing that when they are having trouble they come to me and then use my machine. They both like and use Open Office. My wife: " I don't want to take the time to learn a new system and yours is there if I have trouble."
Go figure??

willrobbo
April 13th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I've been trying to use Linux since 2001. I started with the doomed Corel Linux (couldn't get the thing installed, probably why it failed!) Then I found Ubuntu when it was in its infancy.

I was backwards and forwards between Windows and Ubuntu for a good while, mostly due to hardware that I was buying not being compatible with Ubuntu. Now, thanks to Ubuntu's improved compatability and me checking whether things are going to work before I buy them, I've been using Ubuntu for a good two years now and haven't looked back. Anything that I need to do in Windows can either be accomplished in WINE or, in very very rare instances, I'll fire up Virtual Box and use Windows XP. I can't remember the last time I had to do this.

I remember the bloke in PC World who sold me this computer trying to sell me Norton Anti-Virus (he was obviously on commission!) I declined the offer and said that I was going to be using Ubuntu Linux. He told me that the computer wasn't compatible and that I'd need to buy Norton and keep Windows Vista installed! I told him I wasn't interested, just sell me the computer and leave it at that.

Needless to say, Ubuntu was compatible and he was talking out of his backside. It's been working great ever since.

VetterZor
April 13th, 2009, 10:25 PM
So the main issue is seems with people not Converting to Ubuntu fully is GAMES. BF2, Call of Duty, Wow, Etc.

Its seems if the .nix men figure out a way to play the latest games with grand graphics, LINUX will become the main stream.

I use three machines one for GAMES, and Video editing the others for chatting and music.

Game On.

GepettoBR
April 13th, 2009, 10:28 PM
So the main issue is seems with people not Converting to Ubuntu fully is GAMES. BF2, Call of Duty, Wow, Etc.

Its seems if the .nix men figure out a way to play the latest games with grand graphics, LINUX will become the main stream.

I use three machines one for GAMES, and Video editing the others for chatting and music.

Game On.

Yep. My two reasons right there. Corporate support is what's missing. If we get it, we get a bigger market share, but to get it we need a bigger market share. It's a chicken-and-egg thing.

Adobe could quit being a hypocrite. If we had the Creative Suite and a proper Flash Player, it'd be a long ways, but they'd rather do press releases about supporting the Open Source community than actually doing anything. I've been trying to get Photoshop CS3 to work in Wine for a week, and Premiere won't even begin installing.

RVicini
April 14th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Well, I have switched the office with 40 users, my three machines and my son's to Ubuntu.

Interesting that my son with an Aspire One is madly in love with Ubuntu because is a lot faster in his machine than XP. We are trying to figure out a solution for his OneNote, but I believe that virtualbox will do the trick...

I still have problems with my Via notebook regarding the Wifi, the camera and the function keys -usual complain-. I like JJ very much.. Fast and stable. Unfortunately, it still needs work so it recognizes all devices in netbooks.. They say KK will address those issues.. Thanks God..

dwouters
April 14th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I have completely switched my PC, Laptop, and office computer to Linux. All other computers at work run Windows but since my IT guy had no issue with me installing Linux as long as I supported it, I went that route. It sure feels good to be M$ free!!!

Beezleray
April 14th, 2009, 01:16 PM
That was the reason holding me back fully, then I found Wine!

dino99
April 14th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Since Feisty, i only use ux. But i still need xp for some apps (pro) because they are built on .net or dotnet, and wine (wine, wine-doors, winetricks are not strong / safe enough) don't know how to play them correctly.

So, i use virtualbox and xp on it. all my systems are i386

underyourskin
April 14th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I've tried a few OS' and am currently ibex & fedora (beta). I bought a new laptop that came with vista(aagghhh). I took it out of the box, set my bios, then slapped in my Ubuntu live cd. Didn't even bother loading vista for the first time. Not interested, used it on other machines and didn't like it. It's about as user friendly as a nail bomb. Can't do anything with it except play games, watch videos and surf the net. A computer deserves so much more, let it live and be free):P

fballem
April 15th, 2009, 12:04 AM
In earlier postings, I had mentioned that I missed Enterprise Architect - used for UML modelling and a whole lot more. I was able to install it under Wine, and it looks like it will work. There are various add-ons that I don't think will work - specifically Screen Architect, but I can live without that.

So the only application that I am missing from Windows is Visio. I haven't found a replacement for that, but I use it so infrequently that it's only a small miss.

juliann
April 15th, 2009, 04:12 PM
You need two boxes. One just for games, and one for Linux! - or you could try vmware on one box. Hopefully in time windows will be a thing of the past, all it takes is for more people to make the shift. ):P

MZ250Supa5
April 15th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Completely switched to Ubuntu - tried it a few times before, but didn't have the confidence/know how to go the whole way until last weekend when i just decided, (well, XP was fine, it was just all the security software that was required, slowed everything down to dial-up speeds. Not good) that it was time...

I've never been into the whole games thing,I'm not opposed, as it does give us all access to nice fast processors etc.

I'm still very new to Ubuntu, and I'm having a good deal of fun getting everything to work properly, (and stay working properly for more than the current session!) but I will get there, and barring disasters, (unlikely) I don't think I'll be using any of that nice Mr Gates' software again - apart form at work, where it keeps crashing.

It's just a thought, but if every local authority in the UK went over to Linux, it would save a HUGE amount of everyone's council tax... (And go a long way to solving some of the vexed issues of getting some of the more exotic peripherals, such as scanners and graphics tablets working as they should without the need to faff about as much as at present). As far as getting the technical support, I think that most councils would find that they already possess it, as most IT support staff I know only work with, and curse Windows at work. No prizes for guessing what they use at home.

I'd like to think that one day some people could make a nice living from Linux, but not that they get filthy rich from it.

translucent juicebox
April 15th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I bought an (old) new computer with a wiped hard disk, which meant no windows, and never bothered pirating a copy of XP, so I've never had a dual boot linux/windows system.

I tried quite a few different distros though, and I'm sticking with ubuntu because it's the most idiot proofed distro I've found so far, I still think windows is much easier to use, but the transition isn't that bad. My few gripes with linux so far is that I can't do some things that require root privileges in the GUI, because I need to type sudo before the command to do it, for example, pasting a file into a directory that requires root privileges has to be by terminal(as far as I'm aware). I also think the file system is a bit unintuitive, for example if you install a program, all the files related to that program will be all in the same file under Program Files, and are easy to locate, whereas in linux, things are scattered all over, and I usually have to use synaptic package manager to locate certain files for a program, which can be at times tedious. There's also a lack of software available for pro audio uses, as well as other niches, such as games, but as linux gains popularity, I'm sure effort towards developing software for niche groups will also increase. Although the lack of anti-virus software isn't something I'll complain about. http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

m3topaz
April 15th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I'm Ubuntu for around 11 months now - spent a few weeks dual-booting with dozeXP, but can't go back now. There's a little learning curve on Ubuntu, but I'm sure there was also on Mac 20 years ago for me, or ******* more recently.
I'd struggle to go back. In fact I do - when people come to me with broken PCs it brings back the tedium of life before Ubuntu. Not welcome!

ranch hand
April 16th, 2009, 03:23 AM
translucent juicebox,

If you think that all MS files for a program are in the programs file, you have not spent enough time in windows explorer (the file manager) particularly not with the hidden files enabled.

I should say welcome to the crowd. I think you will have fun.

Check out;

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Intrepid

replace Intrepid with whatever you are using.

Japanac033
April 16th, 2009, 02:27 PM
...same problem here :(

but as i get older, so do i find less and less time for games, hence, makes the switch much easier :)

ZED RINO
April 16th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I tried Cinelerra and Kino. I was not satisfy with moviemaker before but I think I CREATE MORE under windows-moviemaker than on ubuntu-cinelerra-kino.

Because what is REALLY important for me with a computer is to CREATE, and not to search on internet for a BUG FIX.

I'm sure the development team is aware of this problem (as I see they switch in ubuntustudio between open movie editor and kino...).

I which more and more people will us Linux in the future, but for now, you need a Windows partition on your computer if you want to print and create videos, because life is not on a computer, and life is not browsing internet and launchpad for a solution. LIFE IS CREATION.

I'm sad but yes, I will start again this ugly vista and run movie maker and try to finish this video project...

GepettoBR
April 16th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I tried Cinelerra and Kino. I was not satisfy with moviemaker before but I think I CREATE MORE under windows-moviemaker than on ubuntu-cinelerra-kino.

Because what is REALLY important for me with a computer is to CREATE, and not to search on internet for a BUG FIX.

I'm sure the development team is aware of this problem (as I see they switch in ubuntustudio between open movie editor and kino...).

I which more and more people will us Linux in the future, but for now, you need a Windows partition on your computer if you want to print and create videos, because life is not on a computer, and life is not browsing internet and launchpad for a solution. LIFE IS CREATION.

I'm sad but yes, I will start again this ugly vista and run movie maker and try to finish this video project...

In all honesty, if you're serious about creating videos, Windows Movie Maker is one of the worst options available. It's linear, non-configurable, limited, can't export raw video and won't accept scripted AviSynth input. If you don't have the money to buy a real video editor like Adobe Premier or Sony Vegas, download VirtualDub. VirtualDub is to WMM as real bricks are to Legos.

XubuRoxMySox
April 16th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Games? That's what your PlayStation and XBOX-360 are for. I played with Ubuntu for a little while - long enough to mess up something in the configuration so Firefox wouldn't work right and some graphics settings were conflicting or something... there isn't a "Restore all Defaults" button (yet?) or a "GoBack" option (yet?), so I did a complete wipe and re-install - effortlessly!

So radical for a little n00bie who has never known anything but Windows XP! But I was so sick and tired of the high-maintenance, the constant vigil against security threats, the relentless regimen of defragging, debugging, registry cleaning, updating. Linux has no registry, no ActiveX! That's enough reason all by itself for alot of people to make the switch... anywayz: My li'l 'puter is so sweet and compliant now! She flies through her tasks quickly and - I could almost swear - joyfully! And for some reason, Linux seems to make better use of broadband as well as the machine's own resources.

I'm "full Penguin" now. No regrets!

-Robin

yogiman_uk
April 16th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Used various different distributions for years but was not happy enough to switch over to Linux completely.

However from Ubuntu 6.x I switched my main pc, both laptops and my partners laptop, also recently converted two of my brothers and two of my nephews.

Would not go back to Windows in this lifetime. If I have any hardware that does not work with Ubuntu I give it away, and if I had software that I could not find an equivalent I just do without or find an alternative.

Windows is dead.... long live Ubuntu!

Lars Noodén
April 17th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Still have OS X on the side.

crl0901
April 17th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I've been using Ubuntu more now, but I still have Vista. Once I figure out a few more things, I'll be comfortable with using Ubuntu for 100% of my needs.

lindis
April 17th, 2009, 06:58 PM
i have been a windows freak since 1985 from dos 1.0 to win vista..
thatś where it stopped for me, damn what ****** crap it is..

Been trying linux from time to time but it has been really hard to crossover
to linux from a windows environment when linux still was very new and not exactly user friendly for us super newbies..

So now im running ubuntu 8.10 and i love it and runs like a dream ,on my old fujitsu amilo 1425 that had win xp on it from beginning but slower and slower and got more and more problems after running xp on it during a period so i got the tip to upgrade with vista ..

But that was impossible with this machine, so i bought a new laptop with vista and what a fkn disaster to be called an Os.
i went from windows user to linux user in a flash..
so i tried ubuntu and im totally stuck with it now its absolutely great ,
yes linux has its badsides to ,but it is still a very much better and more stable Os - yes i can actually call it a fully working and very nice Os ..

Beacuse it is.. i have something to compare it to.. i really do..
I belive i really know what im talking about - just beacuse i have been
using ms products for such a long time and i have been paying for almost all products also. i dont even want to start thinking about how much money i spent on this non working crap made by microsoft..

The only os i can actually say was a pretty good working and stable Os was the win2k .. and thats the only one..millenium and vista i dont even wanna mention..
So all u people that still are in your weak mind of trusting Ms to bring you products that works for a resonable amount of money - just forget it..

They dont give a crap about the small consumer,only all the companys that they can milk for cash ..
long live linux and all software that are free or software that u pay a small amount to help developers keep on going..

/Lindis Absolute Linux User\ [-o< thank god for linus thorvalds

tcoffeep
April 17th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I recently moved to Linux-only. I've been distro-hopping like mad. I went from Crunchbang to Arch to Ubuntu 9.04, and next is Gentoo.

alexandari
April 17th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I`m using only ubuntu. I hate dual boot :S

Nathanael Culver
April 18th, 2009, 06:45 AM
With 4847 replies and counting, it's a sure bet I haven't read most of this thread, nor am I likely to add anything new, so I'm posting this just to hear myself talk :-)

Define "completely switched". After several years of playing with Linux, and always drifting back to Windows, I discovered Ubuntu 8.04. Not only did everything "just work", I actually found suitable replacements for almost everything I did under Windows. This time, instead of drifting back to Windows, I converted my desktop to Ubuntu-only a year and a half ago, and my laptop (which came with Vista - damn I hate being forced to pay that Microsoft tax!) last October.

If "completely switched" means Windows is no longer touching my hardware, count me in. There are only three apps I haven't been able to replace or run under Wine, and for those I run an XP VM: Windows Live Writer, Photoshop (GIMP?! Yuck!) and Movie Maker.

--Nathanael Culver

mikeyd612
April 18th, 2009, 06:55 AM
I've completely made the switch to linux except for a few things. I'm an engineering student and have found that open office can't beat excel in certain things quite yet. And drafting software leaves a lot to be desired. Any of you who uses Autodesk software knows what I'm talking about. I hope they start selling Linux based programs soon.

crl0901
April 18th, 2009, 07:34 AM
What I really wish for is a Rapidget Linux alternative. Something with a GUI and the ability to copy Rapidshare.com links to a clipboard and download them all at once using my Rapidshare.com premium account.

uxen
April 18th, 2009, 10:13 AM
What I really wish for is a Rapidget Linux alternative. Something with a GUI and the ability to copy Rapidshare.com links to a clipboard and download them all at once using my Rapidshare.com premium account.

I think I have seen something like that in sourceforge.net

XubuRoxMySox
April 18th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I recently moved to Linux-only. I've been distro-hopping like mad. I went from Crunchbang to Arch to Ubuntu 9.04, and next is Gentoo.

Omygosh! I could never spend so much time trying every single distro. Once I find something that works just the way I need (simple) and like (elegant), I tend to stick with it. I'd love to hear, when you've tried them all, which one you would settle on!

I chose Ubuntu for my first forays into Linux because I was told it was simple enough for a total non-geek newbie like me, and fully featured enough to do everything I was doing on WinXP. I wonder where I could find a simple comparison of all the different distros (not one that lists every little technical nuance, just a summary of speed, intuitiveness (is that a word? "intuition" doesn't sound right for a computer thing), graphical interface, that sorta stuff.

fancypiper
April 18th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Perhaps Distro Watch (http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major) is what you are looking for.

crl0901
April 18th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I think I have seen something like that in sourceforge.net

Linkage?

Gizenshya
April 18th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I also have Vista, but I use it almost purely for gaming.

Why can't linux make drivers that use graphics cards' potential (not just cuda and open-gl, but I mean for gaming specifics,like Shader models and the like), just like they do for monitors, processors, ram, and every other piece of hardware there is?

hariks0
April 18th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I am still using WXP for managing my Nokia mobiles, Free Download Manager, Viewing Cable TV [Honestech TVR]and Internet explorer 8.

GepettoBR
April 18th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Internet explorer 8.

You... like it?

dtoronto
April 18th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Ubuntu is set as my primary OS, I don't know why I still keep windows around. Maybe it will come in handy someday.

einstein2001
April 18th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I still use XP at work for using automation software, but at home I've completely switched to ubuntu. I love it. Deleting windows was very satisfying.

uxen
April 18th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Linkage?

Linux Rapidshare Grabber
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lrg/

U-Bom-2
April 18th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Well im trying to leave Vista, but i still need it because im too new in ubuntu and if something happens at least i have Vista. Bus i dont know if i switch to Win 7 some day... i like changes...

podginater
April 18th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I want to switch to linux (ubuntu) because i like it, the support form the community and all its ethics but i still find myself booting into xp because ubuntu just can't do everything yet

Didici
April 18th, 2009, 11:05 PM
My first install was Red Hat 6, and I played with Linux (Mandrake, Gentoo, and Slackware) throughout high school, but dropped it for Windows when I started my undergrad and never really thought about switching back until about a year ago. I had a few weeks on my hands without anything to do, and I was irritated about something or other on my windows box, and just went for it with a Fedora install.

It was actually so much easier than I was used to (hotplugging external devices, easy wireless access, etc) that I never thought about going back. Switched distros to Ubuntu when I got a new main hard drive in the fall because I remembered the fuss when 4.10 came out, liked it, and now I'm Ubuntu exclusive and not looking to change.

ak74u
April 19th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I am still bound to xp especifically because of my iphone(iTunes) and office 2007(just word, and maybe some excel). Other than that am full linux user (Mainly Ubuntu).

Long live linux!!

Santaman
April 19th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I can't switch completely, I've got quite a few machines ranging from 8088 to 80486 and Atari's and the like, they don't run Linux. ;)

I do have a Pentium 133 which runs Puppy Linux though.

pickboy87
April 19th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I don't remember exactly when I switched over completely to Linux, but it was sometime around last year (probably around the 8.04 release). I had been on/off Linux for a while before that, and finally took the plunge. Things had finally just worked properly after 8.04. After using Ubuntu for a while, I finally began digging around on various 'nixes. Went from Debian, to OpenSUSE, to Mandriva, to you name it. Realized I enjoyed a minamalistic OS and stumbled upon Crunchbang. So far I've absolutely loved it. Very fast, and very lightweight, but combines all the funcinality of Ubuntu.

I still don't feel completely satisfied...:P I don't think I'll ever find a Linux OS I can settle on :D

Anthalion
April 19th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Completly switched, but I just dont get some things still. Hope I'll solve this and convert to the Linux Ubuntu completely hehe.

'David

ivanhoe75
April 19th, 2009, 06:26 PM
no. so much configuring update destructs old configured, thus configuring is constant process without end. tv tuner stop to work and it was no possibility to record video, flash players manager run under win

PhoHammer
April 19th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Only PCLOS on my laptop now...just have to steal my lady's MS machine to update my iPod
touch, unfortunately.

Ticketoride
April 19th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I will always have Windows, and running Linux some of the Time.

ales
April 19th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I switched 1.5 year ago totaly to Ubuntu. First I was worried, that I will miss something from Windows, but I am not. Also games, I played before don't makes me angry. I found some new like Enemy Teritorry, OpenTTD /which is really fanstastic/, World of Goo, Nexuiz, Urban Assault, and some puzzles. Of course if u need to play new PC games u have to stay also with win. But if you need Internet, MusicVideos, Movies, Music, etc. there is no reason to stay with Win, Ubuntu manages all this withou problem and it is free.

ALso I like, that my TV card /Pinnacle PCTV Pro - a bit old daddy :)/ works right after installation, no need to use that slow Win driver, where application for tv card started 10 seconds.

I use AMD Athlon Le1640, 2GB DDR2 RAM, Syncmaster 940BW, PCTV Pro, 2 x IDE, 2 x SATA, MB ASUS M3N78SE, ATI X800 GTO, Genius 5.1 Sound, SB Live 5.1.

Everything depends on that, what you want from the system, if you expect, that Ubuntu will be similar like Win, you will be not happy with it, even if it would be better tham Win!

shadowlands
April 19th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I am trying to but I still need some help with stuff like getting some computer and learning games to play on the ubuntu os. Folk with kids need a bit of extra help, thus one computer in the home still gatesscrewu on it.

Vostrocity
April 20th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I've had Ubuntu on my lappie for a while, but just recently started to use it as my primary because Vista crashed.

But holy crap, this thread has been around since 04.

zipperback
April 20th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I made the switch completely to Linux.

I don't have Windows installed on any of my systems.

- zipperback
:popcorn:

David C.
April 20th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Made the switch over the weekend from Windows XP, and have spent the time getting to know the OS and figuring out stuff.

mr.tux
April 20th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Not quite yet. I still have a windows machine, but I am using my linux box more often.

meho_r
April 20th, 2009, 10:38 AM
99,99% (you may say completely). 0,01% is that I boot up Win from time to time to play a game. That's it. I use Ubuntu at home as well as on work (+Debian).

phoexer
April 20th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I dual boot vista and Intrepid.
almost a year on linux, 6 months on Ubuntu.

i guess i keep vista as a back up and the occasional game(even though i prefer console gaming)

I switched from Visual Studio programing (VC++) to java, so until i get my feet firmly on the ground in java i think i still have to keep Vista(for quick custom apps, if that makes sense)

leb718
April 20th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Got rid of XP except @ work..
At home I have a:
I
Ubuntu
OpenSUSE Box,
PCLinux and Lint Mint in 2 laptops
and now in two old "renewed" boxes...Slax and Fedora 6 all in a network...!!!
All of them running like a charm.....

and did not spend a penny...at all

Ubuntu Linux Rocks...!!!
Awesome...!!!1

Tazman34685
April 20th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I made the switch just this weekend. The current setup I'm working with:

Antec P180 Case (Beast - all 120 mm fans)
Asus Motherboard
AMD X2 Socket 939
Corsair XMS 2 GIG DDR400 Ram
WD 80 gig SATA Hard Drive
Samsung 250 gig sata Hard Drive
DVD Burner
NVidia 8600GT Video Card

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 x86 on the WD 80 gig Sata Drive which is the primary drive but the 250 gig Samsung which is tasked with being the data drive I'm having problems writing to after the drive is mounted. I am also running VMWare Workstation 6 for all other OS platforms. The switch is the best.

taaheel
April 20th, 2009, 05:08 PM
hi ... i'm still a beginer but I deleted windows partition like 3 months ago ,.
and as for the games ... well I don't play any more these days and all I do for fun is to search for more useful applications and try to learn some more about my new favourite os ..

p.s For me and him , I loved him not the first time I saw him or the first time I touched him but from the first moment I heard about him existing ...........

I love you Ubuntu ..http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

freakbofo
April 20th, 2009, 05:16 PM
well as of about a week ago i switched.i was generally going to try an option where i could install with windows but it said it might retract from disk performance or something.well i have been wanting to give ubuntu a try for a long time,and i didnt want a thing as trivial as a half working windows installation to dull that feeling when u get a new os!!!!!!i just love it.my compaq 6710b worked flawlessly str8 away,havent turned it off for days now.tryn to get the hang of this sudo get-app thing lol

hquintana_78
April 20th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Since last year I took the choice of using Ubuntu as my only Os... love it... got it working fine.. some little things to fix... but not planning to return to Microsoft... Miss my games.. but I have no more time left for playing... Ubuntu Linux is just great... for new or old machines... and for starters in Linux is the best way to migrate... It was for me...

I_can_see_the_light
April 20th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I have been using Ubuntu (hardy) for almost a year now, but never deleted my WinXP partition. However, when Jaunty is released I will wave goodbye to Microsoft. The only times I have booted into Windows it's been to uninstall programs to make place on the HDD, so I figured I might as well delete that partition altogether.

I convinced the wife to let me install Hardy on her laptop in december (Vista didn't cooperate very well) and she has been very pleased.

Only three days left now! :D

Luke Marshall
April 20th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I haven't completely switched over, i use my overpriced mac laptop most of the time but i get the feeling if i'd been aware of linux before i bought my laptop i would more than likely stick completely with ubuntu, the reason i looked into it in the first place was an interest in programming and contributing to open source projects, and i have to say, despite the steep learning curve its incredibly addictive.

I've managed to get ubuntu dual booting with mac osx on my macbook pro, as well as installing debian onto my google phone. learning to program in C along with a couple of other languages like Python, Lisp and java and i hope to eventually start doing some worthwhile work, in linux as well as other OS's

And if anyone has any useful info on taking this path from its very beginning, it would be greatly appreciated.

funfrank
April 21st, 2009, 03:33 PM
I've been off and on with linux and xp. I caught a virus on xp a few weeks ago and finally decided to switch completely. For those of you thinking about removing xp, I recommend that you consider that not everything will work in linux for you. Maybe with time, you'll be able to program everything as you want, but you needn't let that hold you up. For example, my mic doesn't work in ubuntu and I need to call home with skype. Instead of maintaining a dual boot, I decided to buy a usb sound card with a mic jack that does work for 2 dollars. There's something about being windows-free that is gratifying. 2 dollars well-spent.

pmlxuser
April 21st, 2009, 03:47 PM
I also loved games (NFS HP specifically , still miss it now- if i get richer i might just buy a game console or a small pc just for games ), but then the cost of constantly cleaning viruses and spy ware and playing games seemed not to balance so starting Dec 2008 completely Ubuntu ....
My GF wanted scrabble so i use wine (can't play it full screen but what the heck)
;)

peternz
April 21st, 2009, 03:53 PM
I went 100% ubuntu about 2 years ago.

I'm running 8.10 on my desktop, 8.04 (LTS) on a headless machine at home, and also on a VPS I use for public web serving.

On the issue of games, I've been quite happy with the first person shooters I can install straight from the distros. The real time strategies have always been a bit disappointing, but perhaps that's because for me nothing will ever beat Age of Empires or Rise of Nations. :)

But I'm very pleased I made the switch.

Peter

stewacide
April 21st, 2009, 05:20 PM
I've actually switched away from using Linux full-time exclusively.

My first computer was Windows 3.1, and I remember the switch to Windows 95 fondly, but between the utter disaster that was Windows ME and the early teething problems of Windows 2000/XP I switched to Linux (Mandrake/Mandriva) full-time (running on a succession of ThinkPads and Dell desktops) for about 5 years.

As OSX started to mature, however, I found it impossible to ignore it's clear superiority (price notwithstanding), and my personal laptop has been a Mac since Panther days. My other computers have remained Linux, and with them I've since made the switch from Mandriva KDE (bloat was/is getting ridiculous) to Ubuntu Gnome (which I dismissed as primitive back in the day, but appreciate now for its elegant simplicity).

I'm one of those rare breed who everyone thinks of as a 'computer guy', but I can't fix anyone's problems because Windows is completely foreign to me (my brief experience with Vista suggests its as broken as everyone says, although Windows 7 looks promising inasmuch as it apes OSX so heavily). My customary fix for virus/spyware/bloatware ridden Windows boxes people ask me to look at is to install Ubuntu :D

clive littlewood
April 21st, 2009, 06:10 PM
Hi

I'm 99.9% Ubuntu !!!

The .1% is itunes on XP to sync my ipod touch. The minute Amarok or one of the other players on Linux come up with a sync to the touch i'll be 100%.

PS. My wife's laptop is 100% Ubuntu.

Clive

JakeHinojosa
April 21st, 2009, 06:15 PM
ive completly switched to linux. i will NEVER think of using windows ever again

fancypiper
April 21st, 2009, 06:33 PM
I started Linux in 1999 with Red Hat 6.0 (dual boot Windows 98/Linux and in October 08, I started building my new computer specificly for Linux (I had problems finding drivers for my video card in Windows XP home edition), installed Ubuntu and now me and my box are happy.

I don't think I will ever use another Microsoft product. I have never had an opportunity to try Apple since the Apple ][ E and I can emulate that in Linux if I wish.

BitRogue
April 23rd, 2009, 09:59 AM
OK, barring my work laptop, which is Windows by policy (blegh), Im about 99% Ubuntu.
1x Netbook = 100% Ubuntu.
1x Laptop = 99% Ubuntu (1% for gaming)
1x Desktop = 90% Ubuntu (10% for gaming - of which Im trying to move over to Wine anyway, but never quite seems to work for me)

I've been using Unix since mid 1990s. Started tinkering at home on RedHat 5 around late 1990s and switched to Linux full time with the advent of Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 about 3 years ago. So far, having the time of my life and no chance of looking back.

dESAI
April 24th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Ubuntu still has a long way to go, but the progress so far is fantastic! I am very impressed.

My father now uses Ubuntu in his office, no win anywhere.

Personally, I can't live without Photoshop (my left arm) and Dreamweaver (my right arm), although they both work quite well in wine, they're still not perfect.

I also like to play games. I have Eve installed and working ok. Unreal Tournament 2004 (my fav game atm) can be installed in ubuntu, but it will not allow me to unmount the CD so I can insert CD 2 and continue the installation. I find this problem a little ridiculous... and it's things like this that stop me from recommending Ubuntu to everyone.

(What am I complaining about?!?! Ubuntu is FREE!!! :)

I also have to restart my Ubuntu PC a lot more than my Win machine. I leave my PC's on virtually 24/7 and when I go back to my Ubuntu machine, 99% of the time Flash Video will not play properly (1/2 seconds then stops), and I must restart the machine.

Stay cool everyone!

prshah
April 24th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Unreal Tournament 2004 (my fav game atm) can be installed in ubuntu, but it will not allow me to unmount the CD so I can insert CD 2 and continue the installation.

I also have to restart my Ubuntu PC a lot more than my Win machine. I leave my PC's on virtually 24/7

Use the wineject command from a terminal (Applications-Accessories-Terminal) to eject a cdrom drive locked by WINE. It's well documented.

Looks to me like you don't have pulseaudio setup properly. There are a number of threads on the forums on how to tackle this.

Currently, my desktop is running for 15 days and a few hours continously; and the only reason I restarted 15 days ago was for an update. It's not unusual for my desktop to go 30-40 days without a restart, even with most updates.

When I _was_ using Windows, it too used to stay up 30+ days; but simply because I would avoid updates until absolutely required (once a month or so)

ripjames
April 25th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I still have XP on my laptop as a virtual machine, I use an excel spreadsheet to track my DnD charactors, and my 4E game I use the charactor builder program that wizards supplies, which is windows only, and it wouldn't work in WINE, other than that i'm windows free, for about a month now, it's great, i'll be converting my desktop over to Ubuntu this weekend, I don't use it much anymore, cept as a Media server

TheDude7053
April 25th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I use vista for gaming, Ubuntu has a home on my laptop for school, been hooked after 6 months

flyingsliverfin
April 26th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Personally, I can't live without Photoshop (my left arm) and Dreamweaver (my right arm)

dESAI: I know gimp is a really good (almost the same) equivalent of photoshop, but don't know about dreamweaver

but if they work for you, thats fine

Wandering Wombat
April 26th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I've completely switched to Linux Mythbuntu 8.04 for Media Centre, Jaunty 9.04 for Desktop.

I will admit I do have an old Laptop laying around with XP installed, it's purely for firmware upgrades that only have a windows installer, although I try and buy hardware that doesn't need any windows installable software of any kind.

Lupi
April 26th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Aye. Ubuntu - Linux Mint.

geekygirl
April 26th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Well now that iTunes music is all DRM free thats one major hurdle out of the way. (VLC playes iTunes music natively without having to burn and rip a LOT of music yay!!)

The only reason I need Vista is to play COD4 Multiplayer as my clan's servers are all PB protected (and we play GA Ladder and Comps - all using PB so its not going to change soon)

So as soon as PB can run under Linux either in Wine or on its own, I will be 100% Linux. :)

TwiStEr55
April 26th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I consider myself a complete switcher, but I do have Windows around for Games out of necessity ...

mtnwalker2b
April 26th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I switched cold turkey about 3 weeks ago. Two machines both 64bit
Dual core amd64 using ubuntu 8.10 UE 2.1

PhenomII x4 920 using ubuntu 9.04 and just installed the KDE desktop

Still have lots to learn but its coming along nicely and have figured out how to do everything I used to do in Windows and 99% of the time
it works better, faster with Linux.

Using 64 bit OS on both.

MFinkel
April 26th, 2009, 04:31 PM
So I switched a few days ago. This desktop is 100% Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS Desktop Edition and I am loving it. No more M$ for me ( I hope! ). Was a little nervous as I could not find drivers for my HP 6310 and Lexmark Optra E312 from the OEM web sites. But apparently they are plug and play. They both are printing A O. K. I just have to play with the 6310 to find out about how to get the scanner working from the desktop. Otherwise it has been a fairly painless transition once I figured out how to add programs. Also I just added Gaurddog for my firewall. Now I have to figure out how to get superuser privileges so I can configure it totally. It is running with reduced functionality. Not a big deal. Will be starting new thread for that later most likely.

guraknugen
April 26th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Now I have to figure out how to get superuser privileges so I can configure it totally. It is running with reduced functionality. Not a big deal. Will be starting new thread for that later most likely.

In most graphical programs which need superuser privilegies, you will be asked for your password. If you are going to use commands in a virtual terminal you just type ”sudo” right before the command. Then that command will run with superuser privilegies. You will be prompted for your password.

If you want to be superuser from now until whenever you want, then you can try ”sudo su”. Type ”exit” to return to your user privilegies.

We also have ”gksudo” which lets you enter your password in a dialogue box.

If you want to run Nautilus, the Gnome file manager, with superuser privilegies, then just try to start it from the virtual terminal with ”gksudo nautilus”. If you want to use the same terminal to other things while still running Nautilus, then add an ”&” after the command. That makes Nautilus run as its own thread, kind of: ”gksudo nautilus&”

Newfoundlander
April 26th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I've been using Linux for ten years with some Windows use in there as well. In 1999 I started with Caldera Linux and later changed to RedHat on my PC tower. I also installed the m68k version of Debian on my Atari TT workstation.

Ubuntu is now the only operating system I use.

iam_newhere
April 28th, 2009, 02:45 AM
no, not really.
i dual boot windows/ubuntu.

ScottBurnham
April 28th, 2009, 02:54 AM
I would fully switch to Ubuntu/Linux if I could sync my iphone, thats the only thing I need windows for.

guywithcable
April 28th, 2009, 03:30 AM
If it weren't for my school's wireless not working with Linux, I wouldn't have Windows on my laptop. I only use it at school to check my email and stuff, then right back into Ubuntu. Aside from that I use it in virtual machines to check my sites with Internet Exploder and Safari. I wouldn't really consider any of that "using Windows", so in my opinion, yeah, I'm a complete convert. (Have been since Hardy!) Thanks Ubuntu. ;D

Dr.Vista
April 28th, 2009, 03:32 AM
I betrayed Windows Vista for Ubuntu. I'm not thinking about switching back! :D

Messyhair42
April 28th, 2009, 05:33 AM
the one thing i don't have a substitute for is Photoshop (not GIMP, hate using GIMP) but i havent been doing any photo editing recently so effectivly i am a Linux only person. as of now i am trying to get virtual box running in XP mode so i can use the original Photoshop

GenePayne
April 28th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I've switched over 99% from Windows Vista. I only go back if I absolutely have to run a specific windows-only app.

ndefontenay
April 28th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Completely ditched windows for Linux 2 years ago. It wasn't perfect but I made with it.

I'm a gamer too but I've decided to go with games that would allow me to play on MAC or Linux. So I don't have the big games but I have enough to entertain me. There's enough to enjoy without windows. So it's really a mindset.

I consider I should be out the rest of the time!

giancast
April 28th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I am trying really hard to switch, I started with Caldera back in the days and I have used Ubuntu since it came out. The only thing that is keeping me back is that I cannot get Skype to work. I need Skype because all my family use it. When I use Test call I can not hear myself, I can hear the other side perfectly clear.

Adler
April 28th, 2009, 05:53 PM
giancast,

I thought that Skype was part of all the latest Linux Distros. Personally, I don't Skype so can't help, but I'm sure that others will jump in here.

Best Regards,

JJMacey

amg181270
April 28th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I have no Microsoft derived components on any of my machines. No Windows fonts or codecs, nothing. Even Mono is expunged from my Linux installations with extreme prejudice.

Since I am not a serious gamer, even this potential avenue of lock-in does not apply to me. Maybe I am lucky that way. And you would never hear me complaining about the choices I have made.

I don't have many principles in life, and I am not against commercial or proprietary software for the most part. I just find avoiding anything connected with Microsoft or Apple beneficial to myself, my wallet and my computers.

Annoyance
April 28th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I have used Ubuntu since Dapper Drake 6.06. Since then I only use Windows when I need to. but I have a zune and I use a software that allows me to download audiobooks from my library. I never run wine. I go weeks without booting windows.

GepettoBR
April 28th, 2009, 06:13 PM
the one thing i don't have a substitute for is Photoshop (not GIMP, hate using GIMP) but i havent been doing any photo editing recently so effectivly i am a Linux only person. as of now i am trying to get virtual box running in XP mode so i can use the original Photoshop

What version of Photoshop are you trying to use? I have CS2 and it works great with Wine. It'd certainly be faster than in a virtual machine.

Zoowey
April 28th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Well I used to chain-boot, using Vista's bootloader to boot into both Ubuntu and Vista since I couldn't successfully make grub boot Vista but one day the Vista bootloader became corrupt from me messing around with its settings and ever since then grub is my default bootloader and I can't boot into Vista but honestly I haven't even tried to fix it because I see no need for Vista anymore.

I am more then happy with Ubuntu, been using it for 5 months and been loving every everyday of it.

mxboy15u
April 28th, 2009, 06:27 PM
If it weren't for my school's wireless not working with Linux, I wouldn't have Windows on my laptop. I only use it at school to check my email and stuff, then right back into Ubuntu. Aside from that I use it in virtual machines to check my sites with Internet Exploder and Safari. I wouldn't really consider any of that "using Windows", so in my opinion, yeah, I'm a complete convert. (Have been since Hardy!) Thanks Ubuntu. ;D

What does your school do that blocks the wireless from you?

BobSongs
April 30th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Well. I'm pleased to say that I've completely switched over to Ubuntu GNU/Linux - 100%.

My family enjoys using Ubuntu ... for several reasons. This may enlighten.

My daughter came back from a babysitting gig. She had the "privilege" of using the home-owner's XP PC. She came into the house and said: "Dad. I've never appreciated our computer as much as I have this evening. I had to reboot their PC four times. I had to use Ctrl-Alt-Delete about seven times to stop crashed programs. Each time things went wrong I remembered how programs just work in Linux."

It's true that some Windows users have solid setups that don't do this. Most Windows users reading this thread might balk at such talk. But I know the owner of that PC. He'd never walk down these halls to read these posts. A far greater percentage of users just want their PCs to "work". They spend precious little time or brain power ensuring it does though. That's why I do PC repair. However, I rarely have to "fix" Linux PCs.

I never want Windows to disappear. Bill Gates has helped me... make a living.

:-)

Wanda
April 30th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I have two computers, one is w/ XP that I turn on for updates and possible printing. However the other computer which I use daily runs Ubuntu. Even before I received this recycled computer, it ran Ubuntu 4. The long term plan is to get a third computer, possibly a laptop and only run Ubuntu on that.

I have cut down my printing significantly! Since I have made it a little more difficult to do. I think twice now before I mindlessly print, instead I find myself jotting down the essential information that I need. The printer is turned off! (I save on the electricity!) I use much less paper, which is a green point.

In times like these, with real $$$, I am trying to tell as many people about the advantages of Linux. Not just friends but non-profits as well.

CTolley
April 30th, 2009, 11:39 PM
You know what's funny? I still have XP on my laptop and I just got it running again this past weekend. I still sit in front of my TV on a metal chair diddling away on Ubuntu just because I like it. I'm acually going to get rid of XP on the laptop and be Ubuntu only on it tonight. And now that I know the fix for resolution I will be Ubuntu 9.04 only. Maybe now I can share files two ways instead of only with Ubuntu...

Eupho
May 1st, 2009, 12:37 AM
I use ubuntu exclusively. I went from XP to OS X then made the final jump about 18 months ago. I haven't used anything else in that time.

Wes7
May 1st, 2009, 12:49 AM

I have switched over from Windows to Linux, I only play Wolfenstein:ET, RTCW, and Quake Live (Waiting for a compatible version for Linux) all work fine on linux, no need for Windows :)

cheme420420
May 1st, 2009, 12:49 AM
I switched completely in January when I upgraded to Intrepid. I had to run XP once when I (somehow) jacked up my usb drive and my IPOD. I had to basically mount and umount the drive before Intrepid would mount the devices. Other than that I have been 100% Linux and enjoying every minute.:P

VCoolio
May 1st, 2009, 12:58 AM
I switched 1,5 years ago just to try, but I hardly used Windows ever since. It's just too much fun, it is more configurable eyecandy, more stability, less resource demanding and free and free. I'm not switching anywhere anymore and no, I wasn't nerdy or geeky (but using Linux sort of made me :P).

Flywaver
May 1st, 2009, 01:01 AM
I started to dual boot win7 and Ubuntu 8.10 around december, then removed Win7 and upgraded to Jaunty alpha...now running 9.04 Final and no going back to windows! :P

CTolley
May 1st, 2009, 02:04 AM
For those of you that game, do you have issues making games work with Ubuntu, or is that a WinE issue?

chamb244
May 1st, 2009, 06:06 AM
I'm trying! The only things that keep me chained to XP are some apps that I cannot abandon because I use them daily in mission-critical mode: mostly stats and GIS applications (Stata, ArcInfo, GeoDa). I know there are alternatives (R for stats and graphics, various open-source GISs) but I don't have the time to learn those things! Is that lazy? Must I forfeit some beans for admitting this?

kahunamahalo
May 1st, 2009, 10:25 PM
(Raises hand) I've got two OSX machines and a Dell Jaunty machine at home. I'm forced to use XP at work due to my occupation (AutoCAD user).

gsp8181
May 1st, 2009, 11:20 PM
I only ever boot Windows XP to do things that can't be accomplished in WINE (For instance, dodgy drivers) or to play really demanding games. But I am playing Roller Coaster Tycoon a lot and that hardly requires SLI to play :)

Megrimn
May 3rd, 2009, 05:32 AM
Well, I am still dual-booting Vista and Hardy. I added Hardy back in December 2008.

I need some of the windows programs for my major, some stupid ones that aren't up to par in Wine yet, like "Music For Ear Training" (program runs, but no sound).

To be honest, I should be dual booting Mac instead of vista, as it seems that most music majors have Macs, for Sibelius and Finale (music notation software), garageband, etcetera.

fortunately, the KDE program Rosegarden solves that problem for the most part, and it is really easy to make a .mid file and re-open it in Sibelius; really saved a lot of trouble for my project last semester.

I have friends who use windows who often times need help, and since I live 16 hours away from most of them, having it front of my face helps with walk-throughs. And I honestly don't mind being everyone's neighborhood computer geek. :P

If anything, switching to linux has increased my understanding of how Windows works. Stupidly and Slowly. But I still need it, I guess.

Cool thing is, dad gave me the old Win98, which runs great, surprisingly (Blue screen every once in a while, though. No surprise there). I'm thinking about putting Jaunty on that, as I'm too fond of Hardy to upgrade my main machine (until the next LTS, maybe). I may pull some of the RAM from my dad's XP, as it already had 2GB to start with before I added the other cards from a junked machine. He only plays spider solitaire and checks his e-mail, anyway.

Messyhair42
May 3rd, 2009, 07:14 AM
I would like to get the RC of Windows 7 when it is released to the public and go back to dual booting, if i can't get my virtualization right for photoshop to work. i still have no real reason to use windows though. when i heard it would be free to the public i had a sigh of relief, MS is doing the right thing.

dentman
May 3rd, 2009, 08:14 AM
I would gladly switch but Linux sucks.

Doesn't have the ability to scale an image propely to print on a border-less standard sized photo paper. WTF? Are you guys kidding me?

Doesn't support Blackberry phones. WTF? One of the most popular phones in the world. I was shocked.

Ubuntu just isn't user friendly yet. 9.04 is not much better than 8.10. Prior to 8.10 I couldn't even get Ubuntu to run on my HP DV6000.

Linux is a great toy for people with simple demands such as netbook users.

I will check back every 6 months and wait for Ubuntu to be ready for prime time. I bet they will be selling it for $150 when it happens. Then what? I'll just skip this whole mess and have a neural implant.

Peace
RF

Saibot Sivad
May 3rd, 2009, 09:11 AM
I use Ubuntu 8.10, I have a separate partition for a super-personalized flavor of Linux that I call "Homebrew", and a partition for XP. The main reason I keep XP is "just in case", although a recently installed virus (woops) trashed the XP partition hardcore and I have not got around to reinstalling it. That was about a month ago.

It just turned out that all the normal tasks I do, I have been using open source applications which are fully supported on Linux, so I decided to do the full switch. Being able to keep an XP "emergency backup" was a sort of comfort blanket, if you will, and proved useful a couple times when I was modifying Ubuntu and killed it badly.

I think I may have to keep XP around so I can have a native SolidWorks install, I can't quite figure it out in Wine, and a Qemu boot of XP is way to slow.

I get frustrated with the lack of hardware support, it's not that I blame anybody (how can I, when everything I have got is free to me) but it is obviously frustrating when a device you buy doesn't work. It's even more frustrating when you buy the device because it has been noted as "fully supported" in "Linux" and it doesn't work. Again, not blaming, just stating an truth.

The only other thing that gets me frustrated is GUI interface, which tends to not be as intuitive as some people think. I use the command line wherever possible, I am a minimalist and don't like GUI, but when I forget a command I have to use a GUI and I often get lost. That has been mentioned in a very strongly opinionated piece I read online about CUPS setup, I could look for the link if someone cares.

However, even with all it's faults and blemishes, I still think Linux rocks hard-core, and I can't imagine that I would ever not use it.

stanca
May 3rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
Still stuck on dual boot with windows xp for my 14 years old daughter and my wife.:confused:

balloooza
May 3rd, 2009, 03:22 PM
I have 8 computers,
Dell desktop=Linux mint,Linux gaming(woo hoo, world of goo)(family machine)
HP laptop=Linux mint, dads guitar hoby (rythmbox, firefox, nautilus, all propritory drivers installed)
Toshiba laptop=Linux mint, half family machine, mine.
Compaq desktop=Fedora with planet CCRMA real-time kernel(switching back to ubuntustudio, because of working real time kernel)
imac=osx (great, as long as I can use gimp(on X11) and >SSH< onto my:
Dell server(same modle as the first one)=Ebox server interface with ubuntu 8.04, multiple NIC'S
EEEpc=on my todo list, Jaunty (UNR) touchpad issue, ruins the entire system.

No windows in my house, sure it is still on the hdd, but has not been touched in months.

noby2know
May 3rd, 2009, 03:29 PM
I have completely switched over to Linux on my computer and am slowly learning the way of the Ubuntu.

I've recently been having trouble with copying and pasting on numerous websites, using Firefox or Opera web browser. I'm not sure if it's something silly I'm overlooking. And also the websites have it so stuff gets automatically copied as soon as you click on it and they tell you to press Control V but that does not work for me either.

If anyone can help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

abhilashm86
May 3rd, 2009, 03:35 PM
finally i joined fully ubuntu group:)
i have only ubuntu on my 80 GB SATA HDD with 1 GB ram and dual core processor with NVIDIA 256MB graphics card. i'm searching alternate for OPenGL coding platform (IDE),
good bye to xp:) there is freedom in using ubuntu

mamamia88
May 3rd, 2009, 03:40 PM
no and now i finally have a justified reason to keep windows in a dualboot. trying to review powerpoint slides in open office drives me crazy with the animations

akoskm
May 3rd, 2009, 03:47 PM
I'm using Linux since 2004. In the last year (in april) I wiped out my last windows installation.

borislevalle
May 3rd, 2009, 04:10 PM
I use Ubuntu only and deleted Windows about a year ago. No regrets. Well, the only thing I do really regret is that Britannica doesn't run on Linux. Other than that: no reason the keep messing around with Windows...

merkourio
May 3rd, 2009, 05:14 PM
Altough I am dualbooting with Windows, i haven't booted into it the last 7 months (when I started using Linux), so I think I can say that I switched to ubuntu...
But... I have to admit... that... I... MISS PHOTOSHOP!!!!

sdibaja
May 3rd, 2009, 05:24 PM
I would sure like to be total ubuntu but I need:
1. full sync with my Blackberry 8830, or the Storm that I want to upgrade to
2. full sync with Thunderbird for *******
3. Google earth
4. autocad
5. various other ******* applications that I need for my work... Wine does not cut it

akoskm
May 3rd, 2009, 05:28 PM
I would sure like to be total ubuntu but I need:
1. full sync with my Blackberry 8830, or the Storm that I want to upgrade to
2. full sync with Thunderbird for *******
3. Google earth
4. autocad
5. various other ******* applications that I need for my work... Wine does not cut it

2. -> if you switch to Linux completely you don't need this (or?)
4. I'm also interested in good CAD software for Linux!

sdibaja
May 3rd, 2009, 05:36 PM
#2 I have a ton of Tbird email and filters... it is a snap to xfer from one ******* to another but no way that I can find with Linux...
I need to Sync with several ******* machines, no way can I make converts of them all.

#4. I use Land Desktop and Civil 3D packages... I must interrelate with many that use the proprietary SoftDesk packages and there is no "substitute" that comes even close.

so sad :(

Saibot Sivad
May 5th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I have completely switched over to Linux on my computer and am slowly learning the way of the Ubuntu.

I've recently been having trouble with copying and pasting on numerous websites, using Firefox or Opera web browser. I'm not sure if it's something silly I'm overlooking. And also the websites have it so stuff gets automatically copied as soon as you click on it and they tell you to press Control V but that does not work for me either.

If anyone can help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hey there! Welcome to the forum!

Copying and pasting in the terminal screen is a bit different: To paste, just click into the window with your mouse and type control+shift+v To copy from the terminal, you highlight the text with your mouse (you can't highlight with keyboard commands like you would in a text editor) and hit control+shift+c

Sometimes, I haven't figured out when, when you paste in a command it will paste it in and simulate pressing "Enter", so it will execute right away. If you want to modify the code before executing it, like to remove extra spaces or whatever, just paste it to a text file, modify, then copy and paste.

Hope that helps!

thatsmyboy
May 5th, 2009, 04:08 AM
I'm still using winXP as my primary OS because in Ubuntu I can't acces my 240 GB raid array. I don't think I will get it working. So I'm gonna lend some external harddisks and backup all my data. When that's done I will be using Ubuntu as my primary OS. I will keep a dual boot configuration for the time being.

If an "Ubuntu Demon" can't get the OS to do what s/he wants, what hope do we mere mortals have??

el.norman
May 5th, 2009, 06:55 AM
i kinda want to give up to ubuntu, but i still need to use some apps (well just 1)
that are necessary in school and sometimes i boot back to win xp. But most of the time i prefer using dev-cpp in wine and gimp instead of photoshop instead of using windows.
But still can't use flash professional cs3 in wine :lolflag:

monsterstack
May 5th, 2009, 07:39 AM
I'm a Vista reject. Honestly, I'd never even considered the idea of free software before. I simply thought it meant the same thing as those crappy freeware apps you get on Windows. The whole thing intrigued me so much that I decided to try and learn programming soon afterwards. I went 100% GNU/Linux after about a week of using it. No regrets.

stwschool
May 5th, 2009, 07:43 AM
i kinda want to give up to ubuntu, but i still need to use some apps (well just 1)
that are necessary in school and sometimes i boot back to win xp. But most of the time i prefer using dev-cpp in wine and gimp instead of photoshop instead of using windows.
But still can't use flash professional cs3 in wine :lolflag:
Flash.. well that'll work just fine in VirtualBox with an XP guest, so you don't need to dual-boot. Alternatively i think they've got CS4 working in Wine now, Cs3 was an absolute mess especially that installer, which more often than not didn't even work in Windows!

Gidskid
May 7th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I only Use Windows at School, I do try to bring in my laptop to use instead of XP because ubuntu is sooooo much better!

crowin
May 7th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I do not fall into the windows versus mac versus linux argument because they are all fine operating systems written by wonderful people.

I have a macbook that I love to take to the coffee bar and a windows machine that I use to fly my spitfire and shoot down Nazis, and a Linux machine that I use for everything else.

Spock says "live long and prosper" to everyone he meets, not just to Linux owners.

Aloha! Love your neighbor!

crl0901
May 7th, 2009, 09:08 PM
For everyday use, it's Linux all the way for me. I still need Windows for gaming though.

TBerk
May 8th, 2009, 03:00 AM
This is a follow up to my previous post; It's now the 7th of May, 2009. I've been using Ubuntu now as the full-time primary OS on this 768M, 3GHz Dual Core Intel PC for at least two months now.

I still Dual Boot because a few things don't quite work yet 100%, most notably Sync support for an old Dell Axim x5 PDA via usb. (I also came across a Palm-type Handspring unit via Freecycle, it came with both usb & serial cradles, progress continues...).

I can browse all the web sites I need to, view multimedia, work email, deal with MS formatted doc files other send me, and otherwise prep a second system for use as a medium duty recording studio as I gain experience (and remembrance) with the command line.

So, it's v9.04 and "to Infinity & Beyond!"

berk

FFGANDALF
May 8th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I've been using Linux exclusively since my XP partition basically self-imploded over winter break.(I've been to lazy and have seen no reason to get my laptop re-imaged by campus tech support)

Corelogik
May 8th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I ditched Windows 8 years ago. I have to say I was nervous at the time. I found I was able to do the same things and more on the Mac's I switched to. Now I am looking forward to my upcoming switch to Ubuntu. There is some nervousness as there was when I ditched Windows. You get used to doing things a certain way. I have faith that this transition will work much as the last one did.

This time, there will be nothing else to switch to. Once I go Linux, theres no going back. Though the Mac's will linger a bit and be repurposed for others in the house.

mr.niceguy<
May 8th, 2009, 06:31 PM
ok my laptop is a linux and its ASUS Linux can't be switched with other operating systems like windows because Linux is not compatible with switching...... if u want a Linux ask some I.T.?????:confused::confused::confused:

Levitation
May 8th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I did it...and I feel great! After fatal error while running Vista on a Compaq V6000 Laptop, I new the time had come. I do not miss Windows at all and am glad to be FREE!

Seaco
May 8th, 2009, 09:28 PM
After some months without using windows on my laptop, and with the new 9.04 to make a clean installation, bye bye windows!

But i like dual boots, so, welcome arch :)

Gydders
May 8th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Completely switched?

Well I do keep a small vista partition on my PC for video games. Otherwise I've been using Ubuntu for everything ever since installing Hardy last year.

My Acer Aspire One runs exclusively on Intrepid and it runs amazingly well, way beyond my expectations for this not-so-awesome machine.

ranch hand
May 8th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Say what?

eagleboycn
May 9th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I am have installed ubuntu in another hd,and now it is my major system,.
All data also be moved to ubuntu
Now,i only use windows XP for some special function:
such as pay online(many security plugins from banks in China are not support ubuntu/Linux)

mormit
May 10th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Can't switch completely over to Ubuntu because the wife likes Windows XP and does not want to use anything else. Yes, she knows her way around a computer - not a luddite - but she refuses to use anything else.

Good thing Windows 7 is looking pretty good because I'm sure it will be on the next system I build.

Ubuntu and other Linux distros will still be my guilty pleasure.

chellrose
May 10th, 2009, 01:54 AM
I've still got a WinXP/Ubuntu dual boot, but I rarely ever visit Windows any more.

I use Windows for a few games, print programs, and Mathematica (unfortunately when I got that I was a Linux newbie... and now it's too expensive to switch!)

MrZodiac
May 10th, 2009, 01:57 AM
I've have started using Ubuntu linux in 2005, and since then. I haven't used Microsoft Windows, since then. I enjoy every minute of it.

stuart.reinke
May 10th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I've been 100% ubuntu for about a month. The best way to learn is to go all in. I'm having a ball. One of my next projects/learning experiences is to install a dual boot with windows. I've found I need it to run Motorola Phone Tools. I can't seem to get ubuntu to recognize my phone via usb cable.

I've also been setting up an old computer for my son with windows 98. After much time spent searching for ancient drivers and programs all I can say is:

THANK GOD FOR "SUDO APT-GET INSTALL ..."

chellrose
May 10th, 2009, 02:51 AM
THANK GOD FOR "SUDO APT-GET INSTALL ..."

Agree 100%!

anti_microsoft
May 10th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I own Dos 5.0,Windows 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98 (both editions),Winodows ME,Windows 2000,Windows XP,Windows Vista....

Month ago went 100% open source! Tired of paying to spend all my time worried about security! Was a gamer, I will get over it! Have used Linux since around 2000 and love it! Not to say that I have not had my share of problems with Linux, but I do believe that it learned me alot and made me a better personal admin!

No more Windows for me! Nope!

physwizz
May 10th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I'm starting to move everything I do from windows to ubuntu.

I'm now trying to get my Tom Tom Navigator and my Dvico Fusion HDTV tuner card to work. Does anyone know how to do it with these 2 things:)?

TeoBigusGeekus
May 10th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I'm a civil engineer, therefore forever doomed to use both win and linux.....:(

The Real Dave
May 10th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I dont really see a huge benefit from switching fully to Linux. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE LINUX!, but theres always gonna be a need for Windows every now and then. WINE is great, but wont run everything, and VMing Windows wont give full speed. At the end of the day, both OS's have their benefits, and the downfalls. Eradicating one, leaves you fully dependent on the other. Variety is the spice of life :D

ranch hand
May 10th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I see a lot of folks agree with The Real Dave but I don't. I do not need a thing MS provides at all.

I am probably just lucky.

If I had to go back to MS for any reason I would simply quit using a computer.

bmc6053
May 11th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I switched completly. I got sick of MS (XP) Updates screwing things up (I know I could have avoided such but blah).

I just find it easier to deal with Ubuntu now-a-days.

I use Photoshop CS/CS4 and Dreamweaver CS4 in wine. Photoshop CS is making a comeback as far as tools I use... I would use GIMP but I already know how to use Photoshop and don't really feel like learning GIMP all over again.. I don't really need anything else thats for windows.

Jfedak
May 12th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Completely switched over last night, have been dual-booting since April 20 when I got my first taste of Ubuntu.

After I installed it I have been pretty much only using it. In fact, thats the reason I went 100% over. I'm likely to put windows back on in the fall when I go back to school and want to do some gaming with my friends who use windows...

fawzley
May 12th, 2009, 05:25 PM
L'x OS is headed in the right direction; what I can get working is solid as a rock but there is a marked lack of professional level support.

I am still having problems with video, mapping windows drives,and wi-fi support. All work under a win boot.

The wi-fi is a Dell 1505 Draft 802.11N on a Dell M6300.

The video is on an older dell desktop and has been a complete failure, Nvidia card only 800x600 is available when it is working at all. I have used the latest L'x driver, and replaced the card with an newer model, no joy.

Last mo one can tell me how to reliably map windows drives from (samba) L'x. I can access the drives via Dolphin but not samba at boot time.

Nathan.Flow
May 12th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Use Linux on my Laptop as a primary os of choice, Use my laptop for work so no need to game their, I just keep windows on it to prove to people that their network is messed up because some refuse to believe it, unless I show them in windows.

Still reluctant to switch to kde4....

Use windows for my desktop because I built it for gaming, once Cedega figures a way of allowing payments that don't cause my bank to charge me a over sea's transaction charge I'll switch my desktop to linux as well. =D> :guitar:
\\:D/

Screwdriver0815
May 12th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I switched in April 2008 - completely. Before that I used win95, Me and Xp and no Linux before.

But I don't need windows. All the apps I need and loads more of them are available for Linux.

I can say that since I use Linux (Ubuntu especially) I am more interested in computers and stuff than before.

- Now I hear Music-livestreams - something I never managed to get working in windows

- now I organise my photos with an app and not like in windows with folders and stuff (I had no app in win for that and did not want to buy one)

- now I learn shell programming... I am not far into it but I want to learn it

- I have now a fully working instant messenging system ... in win the ICQ-sh** never worked like it should

- I can now modify photos and do what ever I like to them because I have an app (Gimp) for that... in win? I didn't buy Corel or Photoshop and I didn't use it illegal

- I can now convert pics and scanned magazines into pdf's by using imagemagick and pdftk in batch processing. so I don't need to click each and every file (of 300 or more) and get crazy doing this. And imagemagick does it like I want... pdftk too - its great!!

all the stuff a PC is made for never worked in the way I wanted it with windows. But now it does - in Ubuntu.

So I don't need windows - I can not work with it. Every day at work is a pain for me. And I don't know why I could stand this crap for such a long time

Alan497411
May 12th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I have completely switched to linux many times ;most of them were unintentional XD

north45thguy
May 13th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I moved from 98SE to Xubuntu about three months ago, then a little more powerful machine came my way and I am trying out Ubuntu 8.1 and 9.04........talk about a learning curve all over again! But as they say, an old dog CAN learn new tricks....at first Linux reminded me of the old days of DR DOS.......and pouring over help screens. Now the manuals are online, fortunately I have a machine at the office I could do reading at during lunch and import files to home machine via CD to get a dialup modem going in Xubuntu....still have dialup here, we're out in the sticks! Ubuntu has been amazing and I think it's greatest strength by far is the support it gets from everyone!

Jim

rpwdh
May 13th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I've still got a WinXP/Ubuntu dual boot, but I rarely ever visit Windows any more.

^this^

m3alnemer
May 14th, 2009, 12:22 AM
It has been a while since i installed Ubuntu. It has been my favorite, but i think that i can't get it stable with the AvantWindowsNavigator. I installed that package and after a restart i wasn't able to run Visual Effect which makes Ubuntu Ugly. So i keep both until i get used to it, i will "sudo rm MicrosoftBillGates" and keep on Ubuntu.
Actually i invited many people. some get rid of MS):P.

one thing lift. that is Sync "Symbian OS mobile phone" Nokia E66 OR iPhone 3G or later:popcorn:

crew51m
May 14th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I went from Ubuntu 7.10 to vista for 2 mos, my new laptop came with it now hapilly back to Ubuntu 9.04. Goodby windows. Except for xp on my game unit for which I only use it for Call of Duty.

plurworldinc
May 14th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Well I have been trying to dump Windows for awhile now, but there are still a few tiny issues with linux I am still trying to work out. once I can figure out how to get my sound card to work with Linux on my main home system I would dump windows in a heartbret.

Right now i am running Ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop and Ubuntu Remix on my wife's and Acer Aspire Ones. Next week I will be installing Ubuntu on my daughters laptop for kicks.

RealG187
May 14th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Nope. I still have machines running *******. Althought the one I use the most has Ubuntu. It has a dual boot Vista I never used, I just have it there cuz it came with the Laptop. My other laptop is straight Ubuntu, cuz instead of re installing Windows, I just installed Ubuntu (well installed Mac OSx86, took 6 hours, no sound/network [wifi or ethernet], installed Ubuntu the next day and the install took 1/2 hour and had Wifi and Network).

Now I use Ubuntu mostly and run a WM (for things like this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1158593))

Andavane
May 14th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Completely switched. ✓

Well, it wasn't exactly a switch.

My windows broke, and rather than expend time, money and resources in having it mended, I took a dustpan and brush, swept it up put it out with the other garbage :razz:

3startuna
May 14th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I got a bad virus on my Computer under XP it whipped out my windows filesystem in 1 day. rebooted my bootloader was corrupted.

I couldnt access my hidden partition to do system restore.

After trying to get another copy of windows to no avail, my roomate gave me a ubuntu Cd and said "try this".

BEST decision i have ever made. Ubuntu PWNS windows
:D

So i have switched completely, no NTFS all ext 3 :D

Also recently ive been finding my self trying to execute linux commands when im using a windows machine. like alt -f2 and ctrl+alt+backspace

so far im very happy with linux its been a 3 months since ive switched fully

3startuna
May 14th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I would gladly switch but Linux sucks.

Doesn't have the ability to scale an image propely to print on a border-less standard sized photo paper. WTF? Are you guys kidding me?

Doesn't support Blackberry phones. WTF? One of the most popular phones in the world. I was shocked.

Ubuntu just isn't user friendly yet. 9.04 is not much better than 8.10. Prior to 8.10 I couldn't even get Ubuntu to run on my HP DV6000.

Linux is a great toy for people with simple demands such as netbook users.

I will check back every 6 months and wait for Ubuntu to be ready for prime time. I bet they will be selling it for $150 when it happens. Then what? I'll just skip this whole mess and have a neural implant.

Peace
RF

oh really tell that to the programmers that run it.

grungedoobie
May 14th, 2009, 02:52 PM
oh really tell that to the programmers that run it.

#1. Linux only sucks for people that do not wish to learn something new and fresh and powerful for free.

#2. I've never had any trouble scaling an image. Use the right tool for the job. A photo viewer is not a photo editor. Learn how to use a photo editor and you'll be much happier for it.

#3. The Linux communities are working their hind ends off trying to get Balckberry to allow full (or at least useful) connection to the device. Blackberry uses a non standard transfer code because (like Microsoft) they don't know any other way to keep your device safe. Not just safe from hackers, but safe from the end user as well. They don't want you to control your device, they want you to do what they allow you to do. Because of this difference in ideologies, Linux will always be more powerful than the other guys. This includes embedded "Micro Friendly" chipsets that HP and the like commonly puts into their devices to create WMDs (Windows only Media Devices).

#4. Linux 8.10 was a push to separate 32 and 64 bit operating systems in an attempt to reduce processor load giving the end user more power from their computer for the things they want to do. I.E. Gaming. Unfortunately, 8.10 was released WAY to early. Linux 8.04 is still the most useful and wide ranged operating system out there. Albeit a little slower because it allows 64 bit systems full use of 32 bit software. (including proprietary drivers - don't get me started on that proprietary driver junk either - Sheesh!) Linux 9.04 is on the right track and once they get a couple more bugs out, I'll be switching completely to it. (Look up bug reports for Microsoft's releases to see what it is that people are actually buying. Then compare. Lot of info there.)

#5. Microsoft and the current "Big Name" brand computer retailers such as HP, Gateway and the like have long standing agreements to mess up anybody trying to use their computer for anything other than Microsoft. (Conspiracy theory you ask? Look it up, Microsoft has lost to many court cases because of such activities to deny it.) I have a 64bit system from Gateway that was designed to destroy my hardware if I didn't use Windows Vista 32 bit. Go figure. I was lucky though and caught it before my hardware fried (cooking hardware gives off a definite odour).

#6. Linux a toy? I suppose some would say the SR-71 is a toy as well, I won't stop them.

#7. Six months is a bit long. There are so many people working with Linux that two should be sufficient. Linux is open source. Look up "open source" and your eyes will be opened.

#8. Neural implant you say? Now that will be awesome. "We are borg! Resistance is futile!" Muahahahaaaa!! I just hope they have off switches. I don't know about you, but being in front of the monitor all day long every day and all night would probably not be conducive to anyone's sanity. (Not to be confused with sanitary. That's an "animal of a different colour".)

Peace to you too with whatever path you chose. For me? I follow the way of the Penguin.

The Grunge.

FirstByté
May 14th, 2009, 05:40 PM
The underlining word is Completely Switched.:p

For me, I fell-in-love with ubuntu the first day I was introduced to it. Thanks to Ubuntu 8.04 hardy's wireless router issues; I got my hands full with it.

For a windoz apps programmer, I seem to like the CLI and tweakability of Ubuntu/Linux generally.

Without any doubt, I missed some apps which I've learnt to live with till someday I live my dreams of not being a Linux user alone but Linux/app builder. I must confess, MSVisual Studio has really contributed to the countless number of apps on windoz, and so goes the vulnerabilities :p.

Many times I wonder if a 'Pidgin-clone' would offer video-cam support or even the proprietary YMSG's VoIP. I love Pidgin but had to give up videocam & VoIP. Ekiga? I'll give it another try someday.:)

As I reluctantly installed my VirtualBox to run my favourite MetaTrader Forex platform, I checked the license agreement. It shows me it may never show up on Ubuntu, since they don't comply in philosophy.):P

My friends dint believe, I gave up my 3D Animation (3D Studio Max et al) all because I switched to Linux/Ubuntu.

What about MS Office? OpenOffice is grandiose but a little more has to be done to meet the MS Office 2007, which has being the only thing taking me back to windows every now and then since I gave up on the other apps.

I have no complains whatsoever about the the Canonical guys, their work is worthy of praise:popcorn: thumbs up for you all!

All that remains is that, those of us yet to contribute to the community should do something fast. The Linux/Ubuntu camp is expanding exponentially. Meaning: more hands more, workforce. Better facilitation is all that remains

3startuna
May 14th, 2009, 07:15 PM

For me, I fell-in-love with ubuntu the first day I was introduced to it. Thanks to Ubuntu 8.04 hardy's wireless router issues; I got my hands full with it.

For a windoz apps programmer, I seem to like the CLI and tweakability of Ubuntu/Linux generally.

Without any doubt, I missed some apps which I've learnt to live with till someday I live my dreams of not being a Linux user alone but Linux/app builder. I must confess, MSVisual Studio has really contributed to the countless number of apps on windoz, and so goes the vulnerabilities :p.

Many times I wonder if a 'Pidgin-clone' would offer video-cam support or even the proprietary YMSG's VoIP. I love Pidgin but had to give up videocam & VoIP. Ekiga? I'll give it another try someday.:)

As I reluctantly installed my VirtualBox to run my favourite MetaTrader Forex platform, I checked the license agreement. It shows me it may never show up on Ubuntu, since they don't comply in philosophy.):P

My friends dint believe, I gave up my 3D Animation (3D Studio Max et al) all because I switched to Linux/Ubuntu.

What about MS Office? OpenOffice is grandiose but a little more has to be done to meet the MS Office 2007, which has being the only thing taking me back to windows every now and then since I gave up on the other apps.

I have no complains whatsoever about the the Canonical guys, their work is worthy of praise:popcorn: thumbs up for you all!

All that remains is that, those of us yet to contribute to the community should do something fast. The Linux/Ubuntu camp is expanding exponentially. Meaning: more hands more, workforce. Better facilitation is all that remains

try kopete

vblanton
May 14th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I did the complete switch years ago. I understand the gaming dilemma, and can tell you that I have had near 100% success with playing the following games with WINE at really good FPS:

All Steam games and Steam itself obviously (HL2, HL2 Episode 1 and 2, Counter-Strike Source, Half-Life 1, The Ship, a couple others...)

Elders Scrolls 4: Oblivion (the only thing that didn't work was one mod that changed the UI a bit.. over 100 other mods worked perfectly)

Max Payne 1 and 2

Baldurs Gate I and II and addons

All of the these games I played until the end. Wine has come a long way. Just check the application database at winehq

vblanton
May 14th, 2009, 07:38 PM

you could just install Skype. The linux version works a lot better than the Windows version too, as it doesn't eat up system resource and cause frequent hangups. haha!

As for 3d animation, i used to do it too, and 3DS Max runs on linux. As does Maya. As does Blender (which is opensource and kicks all their butts by far!). As does many other high end 3d animation programs. So, no issue there.

coldReactive
May 15th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I think I might be switched now. I've said goodbye to Wonderland Online after uninstalling virtual box and wine. Not that Wonderland Online works in Wine for me.

But we'll see how long this lasts when 9.10 comes out.

FirstByté
May 15th, 2009, 07:38 AM
try kopete

I've given that a try... but preferentially I love Pidgin. It looks light and simple... and of cause, I'm the gnome freak! No wars/bias meant... just a personal opion.:p

you could just install Skype.

The linux version works a lot better than the Windows version too, as it doesn't eat up system resource and cause frequent hangups. haha!

I must have been very unlucky with my mic and so on then. I've been too lazy to fix the audio problem. I now live in the walls of "82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller" by Intel on my cool Dell Studio 14:p I'll check that out this weekend too.

As for 3d animation, i used to do it too, and 3DS Max runs on linux. As does Maya. As does Blender (which is opensource and kicks all their butts by far!). As does many other high end 3d animation programs. So, no issue there.
That's great and comforting to hear. By the way, did you have to Virtualize 'em? I'll have to look into that next week.
):P

Jumpmasterrt
May 15th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I use Ubuntu about half the time. I'm trying to break free of Windows, but it's slow going. The biggest problem I face is trying to find compatible/comparable software/drivers for the machines I have. So, as for now, my main boxes are a Windows desktop for gaming (which I rarely use anymore), a windows laptop and an Ubuntu LAMP laptop. I use the Ubuntu laptop for web development and website hosting, I use the windows laptop for GP simply because it's there. As for a choice, it's really about which one I grab first. I'm fairly comfortable with Ubuntu as a day to day OS.

FirstByté
May 15th, 2009, 08:26 AM
WOW

I'm impressive application you've got there for animation by Blender (http://www.blender.org/). Check this video (http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/feature-videos/?video=head_sculpt) out. It speaks it all! Thanks to OpenSource. Creativity is unleashed.:p

Pretty soon, Linux would be the OS of choice for video creators too.

Fantastic.:guitar:

PhoHammer
May 15th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I bought my laptop last year (in March), used Vista until this January, got tired of
partitioning for dual-boot during my GNU/Linux distro-hopping and completely wiped
out Vista last month.

Well, I have an iPod touch so I have to have itunes :(. I decided I'd throw a small
XP partition on my machine. Well, the XP installation disc couldn't see my HDD due to
driver issues.

I got the driver, proceeded to tell XP installation process that I had it and wanted to use it.
Comes up with "insert floppy disk with driver on it"...

This is a laptop...no floppy drive...also this is 2009...why should we use a floppy drive on
a new laptop?

So I'm pure GNU/Linux now and probably forever. I will just use my brother-in-law's Vista
for my iPod- until we come up with open source iPhone OS support....:)

urbangeek
May 15th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I have just made the switch finally andI still use xp in a virtualbox If I need to use it but i am loving ubuntu