PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

dataw0lf
April 10th, 2005, 06:39 PM
I've been using Linux as my primary OS since 98. Every blue moon or so, I'll dual boot one of my workstations with Windows just too get whatever coolness has made me do it (ala Half-Life 2).

somuchfortheafter
April 10th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Well my main pc is my laptop with a 60gb drive, 30 win, 30 ubuntu. Anyway the only reason that it is still installed is because as a pc repair tech I have to do service calls and I have a usb hard drive enclosure and I can do on-site virus recovery for people *really a great job*. Other than that I run linux. Also my desktop is win xp but I need a windows enviroment to test somthings and I do run Hoary on a server I own so all is well. As soon as I get a mac I will have a nice blend lol.

graigsmith
April 11th, 2005, 07:52 AM
I just formatted windows about an hour ago! This weekend i got all my linux problems fixed. my wacom tablet and my sound issues are gone. You know what? the wacom tablet ACTUALLY works better in linux.

i diddn't expect to switch to linux so soon, i had been wanting too. i was getting kinda bored with the games i had for windows. and most of the games i play work in dosbox anyways, and that works in linux. and i figured, with less games ill be more creative and learn alot about linux in the process. I couldn't have done it without these forums. I have learned a ton here. And it made the jump to linux seem less scary.

i made an 8gig partition for the / root directory a 70 gig for the /home and then a 2 gig swap space. hopefully thats the correct way to do it. because you can't reinstall the os over itself it formats it. so hopefully the way i have the partitions will keep my home directories intact if ever a problem is so bad that i have to reinstall ubuntu. 8 gigs should be enuf for that area, i hope.

right now i am copying all my data off my extra drive.

nmsa
April 11th, 2005, 09:05 AM
My home laptop has xp and Mandrake 10.1
I use xp for Yahoo an MSN video and voice IM

I use the xp in w/e for video capture and DVD authoring.
just started to work with my ieee and Sony camcorder
It's fun and I'll continue doing so for a while.

My wife is using this box a lot and all mail and documents are there in mandrake partition.
I am looking for a smooth way of migrating it to Ubuntu
90% of the time the box is running Linux.

My Office box is running XP for I can't find a Lotus Notes Mail Client :-x
the evening is running Ubuntu Hoary; I am happy that my ieee is ok here
Still I can't use Kino for video capture from my Sony cam.

I find Ubuntu way better them mandrake and soon I'll migrate my home box
from Mandrake to Ubuntu

The Producer
April 11th, 2005, 09:27 AM
I spend most of my "desktop", or leisure computer use (Internet Browsing, Word Processing, Music Listening) in Linux. When it comes to working in video, animation and graphics, I spend 40% of my time in Linux (Blender, GIMP) and 60% in Windows (MAYA, Illustrator, Photoshop, A/V Editing and Encoding, DVD Authoring..)

I know there is Inkscape and GIMP to replace PS and Illustrator, but
1. I need to use those apps for school
2. I feel more comfortable with Illustrator for vector drawing than Inkscape

I'm using MayaPLE at home and Maya Unlimited Educational version at school, and will very soon have my own copy of Maya Unlimited...there is a Linux version, but I won't get it unless it comes with the Windows version as well...just in case.
Other than that, the main reason I stick with Windows is because of the audio/video programs available...and because i've been a Windows user for a long time I feel "safe" in Windows, using it as something to fall back on if I screwed up something in Linux (which i've done many of times, especially regarding 3D accelerated display driver installations). I know how to keep spyware and all the other related junk from screwing Windows up, so it's not nearly as bad.

If Adobe or some of the other major A/V editing and 3D animation apps make ports of their products to Linux, it'll be all over for Microsoft.

gordyt
April 11th, 2005, 05:59 PM
I'm the lead developer for our company and we write software that runs on Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux, so I have to work with pretty much all of them on a daily basis. I carry around a 12" PowerBook running OS X. I installed Ubuntu for the first time this weekend and am most impressed, so I predict it will be appearing on more of our machines very soon, both at home and at work.

--gordy

Viper12
April 12th, 2005, 07:40 AM
95% over here. 3 machines in home office, 2 ubuntu, the laptop dual boots xp and ubuntu.

There is only 1 reason left for wintendo on the laptop and that is my alt-life in EVE-Online. cedega is almost able to run the mmo, but not without crash issues. (dx9 textures on some 'transit points' cause CTD's.

Until these nigglin' issues get fixed, and the video drivers allow for decent frame rate, xp has ta stay a lil' while longer.

Other than that, Linux/Ubuntu is the primary OS, and works for everything else I do quite nicely. :)

MasonM
April 12th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I haven't had anything but Linux on any machine in almost 10 years.

calvinpriest
April 13th, 2005, 02:40 AM
I've been using Linux exclusively for about 3 years. Recently I have had to put Windows on my test computer because I do computer consulting and need to be able to support it.

But for my own part, I'd rather eat horse meat than use windows.

Tullyamo
April 13th, 2005, 03:26 AM
only one thing stops me from ever going to complete linux.. no support for final fantasy xi.... that is the only thing ever keeping me from dumping windazz...

once i know and see for myself that xi is support i am shiat canning this damn xp stuff..

andy_sp1ke
April 13th, 2005, 10:57 PM
I have XP installed on my laptop on a small 6gb partition and the rest of the 30gb drive is for ubuntu. I use ubuntu for everything now, am even writing my dissertation in OpenOffice! I keep windows just incase i need to run a small windows only bit of software and incase i need to plug to laptopin to the TV through its TV out port as i havent got that working yet in linux. I have not booted into windows for 2 months now.

I have also set my parents up on linux with hoary and so far so good, they do have crossover and office XP though but i know my mum has been using openoffice as she likes being able to make PDF files!

Andy

SolidAndShade
April 14th, 2005, 09:54 AM
I started with Debian around '98 and took around two years to learn the ropes. In 2001, my Windows hard drive began to die, and Windows itself was getting buggier and buggier. Not wanting to upgrade to XP and its straitjacket license agreement, I decided to bite the bullet, get a new hard drive, and install woody only on it. Did I mention I was taking a full university course load at the same time? After two weeks of very rapid education in the finer points of XFree86 configuration, my woody box was up and running and all the files I needed from the dying hard drive were secure. Using linux for so long has helped me realize all of WIndows' shortcomings... no media player that handles as many codecs with as many options as mplayer, no ability to mount hard drives with different filesystems, no halfway decent free FTP client, and much more. But as a photographer, I still use Windows on campus computer labs from time to time for Photoshop. Gaming isn't such a big deal; the major titles may not run on Linux, but there's a good collection of emulators and thousands of ROMs to choose from, as well as some great Linux-native games like Wesnoth.

SolidAndShade

baza41
April 14th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Yeah, me too. I only use Windows for games. I have an 80 gig Ubuntu partition which I do all my 'real' computing on and a 30 gig Windows partition for games. Windows is now just another, 'play station' now.

Baza

dcast
April 16th, 2005, 06:22 PM
I made the switch completely in early march.

thecrimsonking
April 16th, 2005, 07:42 PM
I haven't used Windows for anything but games for years.
The day will come when we can play all games in linux.

Ranime
April 16th, 2005, 08:05 PM
I'm running Ubuntu on a 20gig drive for a few weeks now... It's the first distro that's to my liking in almost all facets. I als run windows 2000 on a 80gig drive... haven't found the time yet to swap it all around. (linux 80, windows 20). The main reason for me to stick to windows is because of gaming... other wise I'd use linux for 100% in this pc.

Maniak
April 16th, 2005, 11:33 PM
To keep the flow of most of this thread - I use Ubuntu for pretty much all my work. Games are problem (I am too tight to splash out on Cedega....) so I dual boot into WinXP from time to time. I also use XP occasionally when working on complex documents (formatting wise) from work. OpenOffice 2.0 may change that.

ptesone
April 17th, 2005, 01:49 AM
not yet, almost there

I hear they've made it able to install XP in Linux. . .talk about weird

Hey Thumbs! I thought I was the only one who watched tumbs!

Thumb-out dude ! :)

"I must get more kittens. . ."

nautilus
April 17th, 2005, 02:25 AM
i don't have windows, in any capacity, at all...

even on some CD somewhere :\

i guess i've never clung to it, or any other os, i shall always <3 linux

benplaut
April 17th, 2005, 04:30 AM
i have a "problem" that basically prevents me from dual booting, or anything like it. I chicken out with _anything_ that has to do with partitioning. Therefore, the only way i can do a drastic move (like switching to Linux) is cold turkey. I saved c:/Documents and Settings/ and... wiped my HDD (actually, i just wiped the partition table... my wiper froze after that point... and i figured, what the heck :razz:, and went ahead).

Therefore, my system is %100 ubuntu, and i don't plan on switching anytime soon [-X.

Best move i ever made http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

rpgcyco
April 17th, 2005, 04:42 AM
I haven't completely switched yet, I still use Windows XP for a few games like a lot of other people. Actually, the only game I regularly play that is Windows only is all HL2 based games.

- Rpg Cyco

Wraithmonk
April 17th, 2005, 07:38 PM
I switched to linux in 1997, & have used it constantly since 1998. :)

NateC
April 17th, 2005, 07:43 PM
After trying Ubuntu out I deleted windows off my hard-drive, and am using Ubuntu full time + Cedega to play my games ;)

Bug
April 18th, 2005, 02:03 AM
Hi I'm Adam, and I'm a Windows User. It's been 2 days without it so far...

I'm still going to use OS X often, but that's because it's through a KVM, however I did just install Hoary on an old WallStreet Powerbook with 192mb of ram. It's amazing how much life is still in this machine after playing with Hoary on it. It's not bad at all! just turn off as much background stuff as you can (ie- thumbnail generators, font antialiasing (just leave hinting on or it looks like dirt), and other odds and ends I dont remember. And make sure you have enough Ram, I had 64 for the initial install and after thinking I'm stuck with OS 9 on this thing (omg does 9 suck, I forgot how badly) I found 128mb dimm I put it. Preso! 192mb and 10x faster! The swapping to the drive just crippled the thing.

Using Ubuntu for the past couple days, I feel the same 'Wow this is the future!' feeling like I did when I went from a Franklin Ace (anyone remember those?) to an Amiga. This is the best distro I've ever heard of, let alone installed and bashed on!

Adam

TravisNewman
April 18th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Bug-- glad your experience has been like mine was ;) It was a major source of amazement that I was SATISFIED with a Linux distro!

Stormy Eyes
April 18th, 2005, 02:15 PM
I switched in 1998 after getting burned by Windows 98, which needed to be reinstalled after 48 hours of use.

Bug
April 20th, 2005, 07:12 AM
I switched in 1998 after getting burned by Windows 98, which needed to be reinstalled after 48 hours of use.
Isn't Windows great? Lol...

Adam

Boomgawd
April 20th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Well I 1st installed ubuntu for fun on a spare box I had around.. I had tried debian a few years ago.. I dont remember what distro, but i couldnt get anything working, hardware support was wack and maybe I was a little less educated. so I gave up and returned to windows 2000 (Which I still run.. Pooo on XP.. its garbage).. Altho the ubuntu thing started as a .. Hmmm lets see if I cant teach myself some linux ... it turns out I cant get off the thing.. the computer I run ubuntu on is half the computer my windows box is, and I never touch the windows box anymore. now that I'm more experienced and getting ubuntu setup to perform pretty much all my day to day tasks I'm gonna be wiping windows outta my life... wont be long now...

Who would have though free could be so nice... I almost feel guilty using ubuntu and not paying for it....

Boom.

henriquemaia
April 20th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Changed to Linux in 2001, fourth quarter. Jumped to Linux without thinking, just to get rid of windows (no money to pay expensive OS).

A bit difficult in the beggining, but, fortunately, found Mandrake that made things easy on that stage. Long time Mandraker, I change a couple of months ago to SuSE. It's pretty cool, but it was kind of heavy to my computer.

Installed Ubuntu 2 weeks ago. I'm very pleased with it.

theturner
April 20th, 2005, 01:09 PM
I haven't switched completely to Linux and I probably won't, however I've ditched ******* completely. I tried XP when it was new and saw that it was just the same crap. My main OS was BeOS at that time, so I deleted windows and put Mandrake on it. Later I went on to Gentoo, and from there to Ubuntu. I still have my BeOS partition, but I rarely use it.
I also have a Powerbook Wallstreet around, running Mac OS 9. I'd like to install Ubuntu on it, but parted won't let resize the OS 9 partition (it's busy for some time shrinking the filesystem, but then doesn't resize the partition).

~Kobra~
April 20th, 2005, 01:34 PM
I haven't switched completely to Linux and I probably won't, however I've ditched ******* completely. I tried XP when it was new and saw that it was just the same crap. My main OS was BeOS at that time, so I deleted windows and put Mandrake on it. Later I went on to Gentoo, and from there to Ubuntu. I still have my BeOS partition, but I rarely use it.
I also have a Powerbook Wallstreet around, running Mac OS 9. I'd like to install Ubuntu on it, but parted won't let resize the OS 9 partition (it's busy for some time shrinking the filesystem, but then doesn't resize the partition).
Haven't completely switched over just yet... still use Windows for games.

Not too long to go before I will only use Ubuntu on my main machine and Debian on my laptop.

NaplesBill
April 20th, 2005, 01:52 PM
I've used linux on and off since 1991 or so. The first release I ever used was Slackware and I had to compile everything. It was fun and a challenge for me to get it working. I've spent a lot of time in my life messing around with OSs. My problem is that I'll get bored, format the hard drive and try something else. I've used a few versions of SuSE recently and I thought they were decent but after installing Ubuntu 5.04 I don't think SuSE is nearly as well thought out. I just wish Hoary had something similiar to the SAX utility that comes with SuSE. Makes it much easier to change your video/display settings. I've never been a one OS kind of guy. I have an XP Media Center machine hooked up to my home entertainment system. I like Media Center better than the other HTPC products I've tried. I built the machine I'm using now so that I could dedicate it for web/email/personal type of use. My only complaint with Linux at this point is that there are no good personal finance programs that run natively. I'm planning on trying to use either WINE or Crossover to install Quicken on this machine but haven't had time to mess with it yet. This is definately the most usable(out of the box) distro I've tried and I feel like I'll be using it for quite some time.

koreth
April 20th, 2005, 02:34 PM
On my office PC, I completely switched to Linux last year. I use Debian sarge, but I'd probably go with Ubuntu if I were choosing a distro today.

At home, I tried recently, but it was not quite there for me yet. I wrote about my experience (http://www.plaintivemewling.com/?p=21) and the problems I ran into. Executive summary: No support for my Canon scanner and no way to sync Quicken with my Palm (even though Quicken itself would run via Crossover Office) means I'd constantly have to be booting back into Windows to do my day-to-day tasks.

If it weren't for those two things, I'd stay in Linux on my home machine 95% of the time. The remaining 5% would be playing Windows-only games, for which I don't mind rebooting.

zero[]
April 20th, 2005, 05:01 PM
I am running Ubuntu 5.04 solely on my computer. Before that I was dual booting between Suse 9.2 and WinXP SP2, although I never really booted into Windows XP... Hence removing it when I installed Ubuntu. Now when I use a computer with WinXP it feels foreign and ugly to me, I hate WinXP.

ghost
April 20th, 2005, 05:06 PM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

I have erased Windows totally for my personal Laptop. But my work laptop has Debian based with VMware on top to do other tasks which I need for my job.

nautilus
April 21st, 2005, 02:40 AM
...You mean, there's an OS other than Linux? :-?

themexican
April 21st, 2005, 04:16 AM
I made the switch. The only thing is that i've got alot to learn. I've never really used any version of linux (or unix for that matter).

themexican
April 21st, 2005, 04:18 AM
I made the switch. The only thing is that i've got alot to learn. I've never really used any version of linux (or unix for that matter).
"It takes a big man to cry. But it takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man." -Jack Handy

TravisNewman
April 21st, 2005, 04:26 AM
Jack Handy, the unsung hero of philosophy.

You'll do fine-- the Wiki, the Ubuntuguide, and the forums will help you immensely

Welcome aboard!

Koxman
April 22nd, 2005, 06:56 AM
I use windows and linux parallel for 10 years now (started with DLD 2.8 and slackware 3)

There are several causes why I didn't kick windows. First of all, I do have lot of state of the art hardware, which is not 100% supported by the linux kernel.
And there are several applications I own, which don't have a counterpart in linux (or at least a easy2use one).

So if there will be programs like DVD Mastering which are as easy to use as the windows versions, I will switch completely.

But I own a windows licence so why not boot windows for 2 hours/month to do what I cannot do easily in linux :)

-TayloR-
April 22nd, 2005, 12:02 PM
I have, i did along time ago :).. no more Windows on my machine...

johneboy
April 22nd, 2005, 12:23 PM
Well, I downloaded and tried the live CD of Warty in February and really liked it. After some research into equivalent applications I took the leap and switched at home. The initial switch had a few glitches but nothing that wasn't sorted by reading these forums and the
Ubuntu guide.

I still have a windows partition, but to be honest the only time I've booted into it in the last 2 months was in order to defrag the disk so that I could reduce the partition with gparted!

It's been a lot easier to make the switch than I thought it would be. I find that I can perform all of my day to day tasks just as well as with Windows.

Much respect goes out to the Ubuntu developers and the community!

Cheers

John

Koobi
April 22nd, 2005, 09:34 PM
Well, I downloaded and tried the live CD of Warty in February and really liked it. After some research into equivalent applications I took the leap and switched at home. The initial switch had a few glitches but nothing that wasn't sorted by reading these forums and the
Ubuntu guide.

I still have a windows partition, but to be honest the only time I've booted into it in the last 2 months was in order to defrag the disk so that I could reduce the partition with gparted!

It's been a lot easier to make the switch than I thought it would be. I find that I can perform all of my day to day tasks just as well as with Windows.

Much respect goes out to the Ubuntu developers and the community!

Cheers

John
Ubuntu is all I've used for a while now. I can't remember how long, but over the span of a few months and in between a year.

I still have Windows on my other partition but there's something wrong with it (obviously I don't remember that either heh heh). I will transfer all my data from my Windows partition to my Ubuntu and then just allocate about 10GB for a fresh Windows install just so that I can play a few of my old favourite games, occasionally.

I actually do prefer Linux on every aspect when compared with Windows.
Ubuntu is nice and easy to use, but using Linux has made me curious and I want to experiment, so while I have Ubuntu running, I would like to get a less GUI driven version just so I can see how it's engine truly works.

mrtaber
April 22nd, 2005, 10:11 PM
I'm about 99% Linux now (first Red Hat and Fedora, now Ubuntu Hoary). The other 1%? Well, Civilization III, some Oracle CBT, and my AOL chat room (not AIM) friends. I'm planning on evaluating CrossOver Office...if I can get the CBT running, then I may have to tell my AOL friends to look me up on (g)AIM. If I can get Civ 3 running, even better! Then I'm 100% Linux.

Cheers,
Mark Taber :-D

sas
April 23rd, 2005, 03:12 AM
The only thing keeping me on Windows is gaming and the neccessity of writing .net apps for uni....

Everything else works either just fine, or good enough..

nightshrill
April 28th, 2005, 11:16 AM
The only things keeping me attached to windows are my good ol' gaming (I can't live without my rts'), and backing up my dvd's (I believe it's possible to run dvd decrypter on linux through wine I've heard though) and as far as I know clonedvd doesn't have a linux version. Then again, i'm somewhat new to linux, but Ubuntu has stolen my heart and I use it almost 24/7 now.

tepegoz
April 28th, 2005, 12:05 PM
I started using linux with Mandrake 2 years ago I guess, then Fedora, and now Ubuntu. I didn't boot xp for the last 4-5 months I guess. The only thing I need is Dreamweaver. I managed to install an old version of it using wine, but it is really an old version. So when I need it I use another xp computer in the laboratory :)

RTN
April 28th, 2005, 01:37 PM
I have switched to Linux. I occasionally boot XP, because I got laptop from the company and it came with XP and I can not remove it. All my work stuff actually gets done from Linux.

RTN

drummer
April 28th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Almost switched completely, all i need windows for at the moment is InDesign and a couple games..
I'm trying to get as close to 100% Ubuntu as possible :D

americanLoki
April 28th, 2005, 02:14 PM
I dual boot with XP for games, the Macromedia MX suite, and Alias software. But that's not that often. My day to day stuff is in Ubuntu. It's even better now because I found the how to last night on getting compositing to work in Gnome and X. It's still a little buggy, but it looks really sweet doing it ;-).

coldsalmon
April 29th, 2005, 01:28 AM
I dual-boot for gaming purposes. Since Nethack doesn't work for me on Kubuntu, I boot into Slackware 10.1 when I want to play!

Windows free,

--C

Manny C
April 29th, 2005, 06:21 AM
I have completely switched to Kubuntu on my laptop..no ******* anywhere

seven
April 29th, 2005, 08:09 AM
I use windows once a week - for games.
dont get me wrong - I am a heavy gamer :)
I play UT2K4 \ Quake3 \ Doom3 \ all of steam games \ World of warcraft on ubuntu.
but still, I keep windows for games

trivialpackets
April 29th, 2005, 10:28 PM
I completely use Ubuntu. I keep Windows around for gaming problems (to test if they work in Windows, basically, then boot into Ubuntu and fix (or try to fix) the problem). I haven't "used" Windows in a long time, but it's still there.
I've got XP running as a secondary OS on my notebook. I run almost exclusively on Ubuntu, but for a programming project, it's a group project and everyone else is running windows, so rather than tweaking to work with their Micorsoft compiler, I've been having to boot into windows for the last 2 weeks constantly, and it's driving me up the wall. I still do coding in Ubuntu, and then just go over and compile whenever I'm not with the group. I'm going to shrink XP a bit more, as I don't use it.

23meg
April 29th, 2005, 10:38 PM
whenever i have to use Windows, i use it in "unplugged mode", and encourage everyone to do so. that is, i pull the network cable out of its socket. a straight edge security and privacy solution; the only one that really works.

ming0
April 30th, 2005, 01:05 AM
i think over time my problems will diminish, the video editor problem will go away as kino gets more features or as i get another program working well. games will eventually be ported to linux in greater number and my printer..... well we shall see on that one.

funny, I have just the same problem--I don't erase windows simply bcz premiere pro, and illustrator live on it (and can't play right w/ linux). I have been to a LUG demo of cinelerra, and it looks VERY rough (they say it's L337 on their website, but from what I've seen, it appears to be lacking and buggy).

Lemme know if you find any good video edit solutions that work w/ linux :)

ming0
April 30th, 2005, 01:27 AM
I use windows once a week - for games.
dont get me wrong - I am a heavy gamer :)
I play UT2K4 \ Quake3 \ Doom3 \ all of steam games \ World of warcraft on ubuntu.
but still, I keep windows for games

You can play most of those natively in Ubuntu w/ very little trouble--I own UT2k4, Q3, and have played the Doom 3 demo ALL ON LINUX! (search around for "native linux <gametitle> install" and you'll get some hits)

if you're gung ho about ditching windows, check out transgaming.com (you can play WoW w/ cedega/point2play).

Good luck!

bored2k
April 30th, 2005, 03:51 AM
You can play most of those natively in Ubuntu w/ very little trouble--I own UT2k4, Q3, and have played the Doom 3 demo ALL ON LINUX! (search around for "native linux <gametitle> install" and you'll get some hits)

if you're gung ho about ditching windows, check out transgaming.com (you can play WoW w/ cedega/point2play).

Good luck!
Might as well visit linux-gamers.net and check their install how-tos.

Domhnull
April 30th, 2005, 01:50 PM
This last weekend I rebooted with the Hoary final CD in the drive and told it to wipe my hard drive and repartition. Bye bye WinXP. I've used Ubuntu since before the Warty final release but it's been a dual-boot situation. I had upgraded to Breezy but decided I didn't want to do that after all - I wanted a stable release. I figured it was as good a time as any to erase and start with a clean install.

World of Warcraft was one of the big reasons I kept WinXP around. After Ubuntu was installed I visited Transgaming and started following instructions. Installed Point2Play, etc., Nvidia drivers and then WoW. Installed the hotfix according to their instructions so that the patcher would play nice. It all went fine. My latency in WoW has gone from ~110ms under WinXP to ~45ms under Ubuntu.

I'm pretty happy. It did mean sacrificing a few things (desktop apps used with my Clie) but it is worth it.

seven
April 30th, 2005, 03:20 PM

Good luck!

I said I was playing them on ubuntu , not windows :roll:
there are few games which doesn't work with cedega.

mohaham
April 30th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Ubuntu Hoary is my primary OS now...
I seldom use Xp...

YourSurrogateGod
April 30th, 2005, 05:13 PM
See, I look at operating systems as tools really. I'll use windows or linux whenever I think it's appropriate (although I'd prefer linux :) .)

XDevHald
April 30th, 2005, 05:24 PM
See, I look at operating systems as tools really. I'll use windows or linux whenever I think it's appropriate (although I'd prefer linux :) .)
I deffinently switched to linux, for ONE reason, FREEDOM!

ceti
April 30th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Unfortunately, Linux is short on multimedia.
I miss programs like Tag&Rename, MP3Gain (the Linux version is virtually useless) and dbPowerAmp.
Even a decent viewer like Irfanview is hard to find this side of paradise
So, I still have do use Windows.

ceti

sgbeamer
April 30th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Completely switched in 2002 when I reloaded Windows 2000 for the third time in 2 years. I used Redhat until they took away their updates, the first Fedora would not run on my machine and so I switched to Debian and never looked back. I still use a few Windows apps by having Win4Lin and Crossover on my machine. I used windows for the first time in a year when I did my taxes on turbotax last month. My wife won't give up her Windows 2000 box so I've still got one in the house and I'm forced to run Windows NT 4.0 (yes the one from 1995) at work still but we've been upgrading this year for 3 years in a row.

atf487
May 1st, 2005, 01:58 AM
Completely switched in 2002 when I reloaded Windows 2000 for the third time in 2 years. I used Redhat until they took away their updates, the first Fedora would not run on my machine and so I switched to Debian and never looked back. I still use a few Windows apps by having Win4Lin and Crossover on my machine. I used windows for the first time in a year when I did my taxes on turbotax last month. My wife won't give up her Windows 2000 box so I've still got one in the house and I'm forced to run Windows NT 4.0 (yes the one from 1995) at work still but we've been upgrading this year for 3 years in a row.
i use linux 95% of the time, i only use windows to organize my music collection, half life 1 (i cant get cedega working), and for dbpoweramp.

but i <3 linux.

exec
May 1st, 2005, 02:05 AM
I use Ubuntu 100%. No more windows for me.

WildTangent
May 1st, 2005, 03:08 AM
I havent completely switched yet, but i do find myself using linux about 80% of the time at home. i have 4 computers, 1 dual booted with XP and Ubuntu (soon to be Kubuntu), 1 pure Ubuntu machine, 1 pure XP machine, and one that seems to change its OS about once a week :P

-Wild

Equanimity
May 1st, 2005, 07:55 AM
I've been using Linux exclusively on my home machine for a couple of years now. Redhat to Gentoo to Ubuntu. I'll use Wine for gaming every so often, but other than a few games and binary drivers, I'm free of proprietary software, and very happy with it.

granite230
May 1st, 2005, 02:24 PM
I've been using Windows for years and years. Never realy thought about using an alternative OS. Then somewhere on the web I read about Linux and I decided to just give it a try!
Now I'm using Ubuntu for a few months and I'm realy REALY happy with it!
I keep one spare hard disk with Windows XP installed on it because sometimes I need it for school.
When I'm done learning that stuff I realy don't want to use Windows any longer. Ubuntu will do just fine! ;)

mrm
May 1st, 2005, 03:35 PM
Greetings,

I too have been a windows user my whole life. I've been slowly switching over to Open Source software even when windows was loaded. Once I made the switch to Open Office, Firefox, and Thunderbird the rest is pretty easy.

That's the main thing I use my computer for anyway is Office Suite related, Email, and Internet. Everything else (Even taxes) I can do on the web now.

I love Ubuntu!

jotagood
May 2nd, 2005, 07:05 AM
I have to still use Windows because:

-Video conferencing with MSN Messenger
-My iRiver H120 syncs with Media Monkey
-My Palm syncs with Microsoft Money

I hope in a future I can switch completelly.

mrtaber
May 2nd, 2005, 03:35 PM
I still use Windows XP (for work), but now Windows is running in a VMWare virtual machine running on Ubuntu Hoary. Sweet!, let me tell you. No more dual-booting. I'm loving life.

Mark :-D

Gandalf
May 2nd, 2005, 03:52 PM
you can say that i completely switched to linux, i use iinux for everything now but i need windows only for one thing
Siemens patches developpement and testings, which actually can't run on linux because i need to edit a part of the RAM memory where this program reserve it, and we patch there!!!!

if i have a solution for this, then windows will be history for me as i don't even play games so... :D

Shane
May 2nd, 2005, 04:56 PM

Same... I'd like to switch all my computers over... but just can't, yet.

Topper
May 3rd, 2005, 04:54 PM
I can't switch over 100 % quite yet, but I probably use it 95 % of the time. I'm dependent on Windows because of:
Webcams for messengers
Other messenger function(Sometimes my friends invite me to play games on Yahoo messenger.
GAMS programming(GAMS exists for Linux, but I don't have the stummach to try install it. Maybe when I'm more experienced with Linux).

But overal, I'm almost independent of Windows :-)

Ride Jib
May 4th, 2005, 05:43 AM
I can't switch over 100 % quite yet, but I probably use it 95 % of the time. I'm dependent on Windows because of:
Webcams for messengers
Other messenger function(Sometimes my friends invite me to play games on Yahoo messenger.
GAMS programming(GAMS exists for Linux, but I don't have the stummach to try install it. Maybe when I'm more experienced with Linux).

But overal, I'm almost independent of Windows :-)
Like many others... I have completely switched, except for my games. HL2 owns me right now. It is the only thing installed on my Win partition of my "other" computer

Poul
May 4th, 2005, 10:41 AM
I don't know if anyone got so far reading this thread but i'll post my thoughts anyway.
I belong to those who made a complete switch. I spend a whole week discovering linux enviroment and i taught myself to do EVERYTHING ehat i was doing on windows. It's just diffrent and if you are using windows for so many years you don't realize that it all can be builded diffrently. Linux still has a way to go to reach average desktop user although it's not a long way anymore. For average power users (not those ones who spend their lifes in front of screens) it is already simple enogh.

iainm2
May 4th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Don't know if this thread is being followed this far but like like the previous post but it is a confidence thing. I have been a Windows systems admin for years and you get into your comfort zone and tend to stay there. I dabbled with OS2 Warp but it wasn't going anywhere unfortunately. Linux just does it differently and you have to learn what the differences are and off you go. I have Ubuntu installed exclusively on my laptop and it works really well. Next month I will be installing a wireless network and broadband internet connection in my house. We will have three computers connected and all will run Ubuntu as my wife and children think that it is easier to use than Windows. We don't play much in the way of computer games so that is not an issue.

KrazyPenguin
May 4th, 2005, 02:07 PM
I starting using Linux a little over 6 months ago.

Tried Mandrake and Fedora but couldn't get my whole system working.
Then I tried Knoppix and it was ok for a day until I tried Kanotix which I installed to my HD.

I used Kanotix for a week before I discovered Mepis.

A couple of weeks later, sometime in the middle of December 2004, Winblose was completely removed from my system.

Now I am dual booting Mepis and Ubuntu on my computer.

But I find myself using Ubuntu 5.04 more and more everyday.

SimplyMepis is good and runs my whole system, so why would I changed to Ubuntu.

I like the clean look of the Gnome desktop, and the huge community support.
I also like the fact that Ubuntu is free and will always remain free.
And the timed releases are also a good thing.
Everything worked out of the box with ubuntu except some multimedia things.
I ran the automatic script and everything was installed such as java, flashplayer, codecs, etc.

Games in Linux seem to perform better for me than in Winblose.

I run UT2004 , a native Linux game.
I also can run diablo ii LOD using Wine, which although it is an older game, it is still one of my favorites of all time ;-)

Next I will be changing my wife's computer to ubuntu/winblose dual boot.
She just uses web/email/pogo/and bingozone mostly and says if I can get those all to work on her older AMD 750 than I can remove the windblose.

Should be really soon :smile:

deception
May 4th, 2005, 02:23 PM
I shall switch fully to linux when there is support for webcams in Amsn. Being young, webcams are the craze atm!

poofyhairguy
May 4th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Next I will be changing my wife's computer to ubuntu/winblose dual boot.
She just uses web/email/pogo/and bingozone mostly and says if I can get those all to work on her older AMD 750 than I can remove the windblose.

If she needs shockwave, the best way to get it is through crossover office...

Psquared
May 5th, 2005, 12:18 AM
My wife poopoos Linux and jokes with me when she sees me working on it. Meanwhile, her XP box keeps causing her problems. I hear her in the other room saying, "now why did it do that?" Every now and then she picks up my laptop -- and then I have a hard time getting it away from her.

TravisNewman
May 5th, 2005, 02:36 AM
My fiancee used to rib me when I used Linux (gentoo, specifically). But when I got her to switch to Ubuntu, she never looked back. Now, her PC has some underlying problems that we can't figure out, so it crashes and locks up a lot, but not as bad as Windows.

kvidell
May 5th, 2005, 02:42 AM
I shall switch fully to linux when there is support for webcams in Amsn. Being young, webcams are the craze atm!
I'm young... I hate webcams o.O :-P

hehe.. anyway.
I'm never going to fully switch. Desktops == Linux. Laptpos == Linux. Servers == Linux and Solaris. Gaming == Windows XP. WebDev == MacOSX. File Servers == BSD.
*shrugs*

I wish Windows wasn't the only OS as good for gaming as it is... I need my Half-Life 2 though.

My goal is to get my mother using linux. She's very uh... Closeded minded though ;) (Not to say she had any problems with her only son being gay... but she doesn't understand how anyone who isn't microsoft could be smart enough to engineer software.).
- Kev

TravisNewman
May 5th, 2005, 02:44 AM
Half Life 2 works great for me in Linux-- if you've got an ATI card, though, that may be harder.

kvidell
May 5th, 2005, 02:46 AM
Half Life 2 works great for me in Linux-- if you've got an ATI card, though, that may be harder.
CrossOver office?
Or have I fallen behind and didn't know about a Linux release of it? That would be like me...

And my desktop has an nVidia card.
- K

TravisNewman
May 5th, 2005, 02:52 AM
CrossOver office?
Or have I fallen behind and didn't know about a Linux release of it? That would be like me...

And my desktop has an nVidia card.
- K
Cedega, actually. Crossover doesn't run games well, but then, it wasn't made for games.

kvidell
May 5th, 2005, 02:55 AM
Cedega, actually. Crossover doesn't run games well, but then, it wasn't made for games.
That's true. If I do use CrossOver it'll be to deprecate the need for a MacMini (Photoshop)
*looks in to Cedega*
- K

cusco
May 5th, 2005, 12:49 PM
I have a laptop beeing that my only computer. ubuntu is the only thing I have on it... I still have a brother, a father and a mother with their own computers and they are always crying for help... my mother has a mac and the others have XP

I used to know windows stuff by heart.. I no longer do! I still use windows at college

Calgarian
May 6th, 2005, 04:29 PM
In about 1998 I went to complete Linux at ahome. I started with Caldera and they went to the dark side, then I went to SuSE and now they've gone to the dark side. I switched to Ubuntu yesterday and so far it looks great. I used M$ at work until I retired because I had to, definitely not because I wanted to. I'm not a big time gamer, but I can do anything I want to with Linux.

marcus_krantz
May 9th, 2005, 10:49 PM
I removed windows completely...

Now I run Ubuntu as desktop and my server runs FreeBSD.

I bought an XBOX for the gaming... (Hehe, can't rid of Microsoft)

MBro
May 9th, 2005, 11:03 PM
It's been about a month since I last booted into windows. The last time was right before I installed ubuntu

philipacamaniac
May 9th, 2005, 11:36 PM
My desktop is almost Windows-free (I still have a Windows partition, but no need since I never boot into it). Kubuntu rocks!

My laptop will keep Windows, however. I absolutely cannot live without:

- Reason (http://www.propellerheads.se) (doesn't work in Wine; closest Linux cousin is Hydrogen+Rosegarden)
- MediaShout (http://www.mediashout.com/) (doesn't work in Wine; there is no equivalent in Linux - it isn't Powerpoint, it projects lyrics and Bible verses from a db, works seamlessly with video/streaming video content, and is designed for dual-video-head systems. Closest free-but-no-Linux-port cousin is OpenLP (http://www.openlp.org/), which looks hideous compared to MediaShout)
- My stupid, evil Blackberry 7750 (http://www.blackberry.com/products/blackberry7700/blackberry7750.shtml). (there is no Linux support/driver for any blackberry)
- Sims 2 (I haven't tried it with Cedega but much of me doubts it will work).

Don't take this as a knock on Ubuntu. Read my posts here (http://www.philipandjenny.com/2005/04/06/kubuntu-504-rocks/), here (http://www.philipandjenny.com/2005/04/20/more-fun-with-kubuntu/) and here (http://www.philipandjenny.com/2005/05/09/anything-you-can-do-i-can-do-better/) from my blog, and you'll see that I am a huge (K)ubuntu fan.

poofyhairguy
May 10th, 2005, 12:42 AM
- Reason (http://www.propellerheads.se) (doesn't work in Wine; closest Linux cousin is Hydrogen+Rosegarden)

Thanks for dropping some names

tibor55
May 10th, 2005, 01:11 AM
I would like to switch to Linux, but it is still in a very unfinished phase. I must work wit Windows XP for doing my work: I must do with Corel Draw some graphic files in CDR format, it is impossible to do in Linux, or even it is impossible to convert the vector pics from linux format to CDR. Than I use skype, and the gigaset telephones can work only in a Windows environment. I am in linux for two years already, and I use a lot of distributions (SUSE, RH, Gentoo, Ubuntu) and in one the scsi card can not be detecting, in the other the sound card has problems, in others the nvidia drivers can not be installed. I think Linux is still for PC fans as a hobby, some playing, but very far from being a serious working environment.

poofyhairguy
May 10th, 2005, 02:39 AM
I think Linux is still for PC fans as a hobby, some playing, but very far from being a serious working environment.

Tell that to Google.

Or supercomputers:

http://www.top500.org/

Linux Rules Supercomputers

The homegrown Linux operating system has come a long way from its origins as a college kid's pet project and computer hobbyist favorite. Refined in recent years by professional computer programmers at IBM, Hewlett-Packard, Novell and Red Hat, Linux now has become so technically powerful that it lays claim to a prestigious title--it runs more of the world's top supercomputers than any other operating system.

furrythugs
May 10th, 2005, 05:40 AM
This thread is like so 7 years ago ;-)

udha
May 10th, 2005, 02:43 PM
I know what you mean, but a few months back now I used that exact reason to go head-first into linux. I realized that just about everything I know in windows comes back to games in some way, if it weren't for the games, I wouldn't have had the motivation to fix this or do that or burn them etc.

So, I finally decided that I would just go cold turkey into linux, after trying and failing a few times before. This was just before Ubuntu 5.04 officially was released; I tried knoppix to harddrive and Fedora Core 3 as a dual boot. Then my friend gave me Ubuntu's onofficial preview and I've been using it ever since! \\:D/

But my drive has still been games, I said "If I can't get it working under linux, then I can't do it period." and so far I've stuck to that, and I've learned to do everything I've needed so far, and more, like kqemu to emulate a virtual PC :)

I've installed Doom 3, UT2004, Darwinia and serveral other free linux games, I still haven't been able to get Far Cry to install, it sticks on asking for the cd to be inserted but doesn't say where it want's it mounted to, but I'm not giving up this time.

nubuntu
May 10th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Exclusive linux user for almost 2 years now, mostly for artsy stuff. Sure miss gaming tho :(

Nu-Buntu
May 10th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Hey Nubuntu! You stealin' my name & causin' cornfusion?

[-X

Monchy
May 10th, 2005, 10:53 PM
I've just made the switch a day or two ago and won't be going back. It might take a little tweaking here and there but Ubuntu does everything that i want and more than XP Pro.

oh just to note, been using windows since 3.1 so it was a big switch for me :mrgreen:

Marquis_de_Carabas
May 10th, 2005, 11:00 PM
I've just made the switch a day or two ago and won't be going back. It might take a little tweaking here and there but Ubuntu does everything that i want and more than XP Pro.

oh just to note, been using windows since 3.1 so it was a big switch for me :mrgreen:

Ahhh, Windows 3.1. Those were the days! :)

Rodrigo
May 11th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Love Ubuntu, since I install it, I cant live with out it, I guess the whole deal its to find the right app to substitute the ones you use in win, its all about get used to it.

got my winXP though, for delphi, C#, and fast storing (I have 4 fat32 partitions in a 80GB hd) and then I reboot to ubuntu hehe :razz:

weekend warrior
May 11th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by tibor55
I think Linux is still for PC fans as a hobby, some playing, but very far from being a serious working environment.
Tell that to the rocket scientists at NASA. Fast NASA Action Begets World's Largest Linux Supercomputer (http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/41685.html)

Hmmm... now we just have to find out what distro they're using... hehe ;-)

drews_blunted
May 15th, 2005, 11:14 PM
I have been a full fledged linux user for the last 4 1/2 years and i havent looked back one bit, $%#& Windows! Linux for Freedom! \\:D/

orion_114
May 16th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Took the plunge 3 weeks ago.
I haven't booted into windows at home since.
I am even thinking of completely formating my windows drive!
Ubuntu is now my home os !!! ;-)

daenney
May 16th, 2005, 12:12 PM
I've been toying around with Linux for over a year now but never found a distro that sutied me.
Got borred of Mandrake after a few months, Fedora Core 3 refused to install here, Linspire was way to easy, Gentoo and Debian looked to complicated especially because of people going around that Deb etc are for command line guru's.... Suse was not wat I was looking for...
A friend, who uses FC3 then advised me to try Ubuntu, as I liked the apt-system in Linspire (disable CNR by editing apt sources). We made the switch together actually back then. I downloaded the first two cd's of mandrake 10.0, he download the second set. So we got together and installed mandrake and learned from eachother.
He then evolved into FC3, and I'm more into Debian.
Anyway, I've been using Ubuntu for 3 days now and couldn't live without it. I have everything I look for. As I'm not a gamer, no problems there either.
I'm not switching back to Windows, my laptop is gonna be dua-boot Windows64 and Ubuntu 64 when I get it because I'll need Windows64 to run some programs for my studies.
My pc is still on dual-boot, just in case I might need something Windows only or for my parents, as they're so accustomed to Windows...

SpEcIeS
May 16th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Linux has been my OS for a few years now. My first computer was a 286-12Mhz with a 20MG HDD running, which I really enjoyed at the time, DOS 5.0, and what a shock when I moved to windows 3.1. Windows 95 was a big headache, the first version, and the rest were a problem until Windows XP. Windows XP Home was my OS for about seven months, but M$ is not my style, even though it is what got me started.

When I started tampering around with linux my first distro was Red Hat, but it was troublesome to me, then Mandrake was on one of my systems, and that was a bit of an improvement. I waited a while until linux was more user friendly and installed SuSE 8.1; this was a big turning point in my life. Bye M$ and hello linux.

Personally, even though I have done it, I do not run multiple OS's. I just find it like sitting on the fence. :) (I hope that I do not get nailed for that comment)

After running SuSE 9.2, which was a constant upgrade and hunt, I found my distro.. UBUNTU. The name says it all, and has a very home feel. It is easy to get started with my projects and creations without the hastle of needing to upgrade software, hunt software down, and building rpm's.

KDE was nice, but I found that I am a GNOME user all the way. After trying just about all of the GUI's avaiable, aside for a few like Project looking glass, I have settled down with a GNOME. :D

Thanks again to all those that have made this distro possible. :wink:

bigbangbigbigbang
May 16th, 2005, 05:36 PM
I started using Debian in 1998 and dual-booted with Windows till 2001.
Since 2001 I have never used Windows again - but at work sometimes I have to
support it.

eivind
May 16th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I started dual-booting win98 and linux in 2000, and started single-booting Linux a year ago (hooray!). My distribution was Mandrake until I found Ubuntu. And I must say I'm quite happy!

James Keating
May 18th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I've been Microsoft-free since the end of 1999. One night I checked out the disk-compression utility in Windows 95 -- just had it see how much space I could expect to free up, then closed the program properly without taking any action and put the machine to sleep. The next morning it was dead. After being told by repair people that the hard drive was completely fried, I eventually was able to access small parts of it. Turns out large chunks of the hard drive were suddenly corrupt -- bad sectors were everywhere. Windows software physically destroyed my hardware, somehow gouging chunks out of the hard disk. I don't know how, but I won't forgive.

I was curious about Linux (I had already run stories on it in my newspaper for a couple of years), so I gave it a try. So far I've used Red Hat, Laser 5, Kondara and Mandrake. Ubuntu will be next when the CD arrives, and it looks like this is the distribution I finally can recommend to anyone. Up to now the biggest drawback has been RPM dependency hell.

I use FVWM because that's what I started with on a 486. I won't switch to anything else unless programs stop running in it.

I also use TkDesk as a file browser, another powerful program that takes getting used to but becomes more indispensible all the time.

Shin Natsume
May 18th, 2005, 01:11 PM
i love photoshop to much to completly stop using win xp ^^ (and yes i do know of gimp, but it took me long enough to learn photoshop, let alone another image manipulation program ^^) i play Q3A sometimes, and i play some games every now and again like SOF2 or KOTOR once i get ADSL ill use linux more on my main box as im on the internet most of the time im on a pc, but netherless ill get onto linux completly soon enough ! ^^

ciao

Ali_Baba
May 18th, 2005, 01:49 PM
I dont use Windows but got it on a dual boot.Have been using Ubuntu for about month and a half now.Dont want to touch windows anymore :)

GarySaved
May 18th, 2005, 10:04 PM
I have this box running on Linux only.

My Wife has her own M$ machine, and yesterday I watched over her shoulder as she was trying to do something. (She loves that! :smile: )
Every time she tried to do something, my first reflex was to say 'In Linux, all you would...'

I can't speak for anyone else, but as far as I am concerned, M$ is dead.

Gary

poofyhairguy
May 19th, 2005, 11:33 AM
i love photoshop to much to completly stop using win xp ^^ (and yes i do know of gimp, but it took me long enough to learn photoshop, let alone another image manipulation program ^^)

http://plasticbugs.com/index.php?p=241

atezun
May 23rd, 2005, 10:01 PM
Nope, but I blame Adobe for that. I loves my Photoshop, loves my Photoshop.

ケイト
May 23rd, 2005, 10:52 PM
It took some time, but I didn't want GNU/Linux on my harddrive before the kernel had better hardware-support. Dual booting was never an option for me, I don't want it. Easy as that. Now I'm all in for Ubuntu with reiserfs filesystem on my harddrives!

I installed Ubuntu late April, or early May. Can't remember excatly, but I ran Ubuntu from LiveCD all the time after a HDD-breakdown in mid-April. Probably. (I forgot.)

perebcn
May 24th, 2005, 11:49 AM
I have installed Ubuntu Hoary, no hardware problems: I've got a laser printer, SCSI-HD, SCSI DVDRW, pendrive, webcam, external DVDRW... \\:D/

perebcn
May 24th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Nope, but I blame Adobe for that. I loves my Photoshop, loves my Photoshop.

I love mi GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/)!! :grin:

aysiu
May 25th, 2005, 02:14 AM
Can't live without iTunes. Rhythmbox just doesn't cut it. Otherwise, I favor the Linux side of the dual boot.

bored2k
May 25th, 2005, 02:15 AM
Can't live without iTunes. Rhythmbox just doesn't cut it. Otherwise, I favor the Linux side of the dual boot.
Tried amaroK ?

Psquared
May 25th, 2005, 02:31 AM
What's Windows? Is that some new operating system or something?

daageep
May 25th, 2005, 04:34 AM
I tried switching my desktop to Debian a year ago. It was wayyyy too hard for a newb like myself to manually mount everything, etc. What a bad choice of a first distro to use: my desktop sat untouched for an entire year. Just yesterday, I installed Hoary on my laptop and am loving it. Two more things I have to get working before I switch (my laptop) permanently: getting iPod and cdrw to work.

thumbs up to Hoary \\:D/

aysiu
May 25th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Tried amaroK ?

Tried it. Worse luck than with Rhythmbox.

SpEcIeS
May 25th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Tried amaroK ?
Amarok is an excellent software piece for listening to music. From alter tags to downloading song lyrics. It is nice, however I am trying to keep my box totally gnome - gtk, aside from installed k3b in order to get my CD's burnt. :)

Rhythmbox is a good software piece, which I enjoy, but it is in development. It is said that they will be implememting tag editing soon. ;-) I a sure that the other wonderful features will be added too, in time. :)

Recked
May 25th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Is there anyone out there using iPod and also using Photoshop for repairing old/damaged photos.

I have not been able to get my ipod working under Linux and the healing tools in Photoshop are too good to give up.

If anyone knows of solutions for these I will gladly give up XP.

thanks

poofyhairguy
May 25th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Is there anyone out there using iPod and also using Photoshop for repairing old/damaged photos.

I have not been able to get my ipod working under Linux and the healing tools in Photoshop are too good to give up.

If anyone knows of solutions for these I will gladly give up XP.

thanks

For the iPod:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=36632&highlight=gtkpod

For photoshop the only option is to use the version before the newest one in crossover office.

Recked
May 25th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Thanks Poofy

Do you happen to know if the menu issue with Hoary and CrossOver has been fixed yet?

When I bought/installed CrossOver 4.1 I could never find it and hence couldn't use it or iTunes or Photoshop 7

thanks again

vladanian
May 25th, 2005, 07:56 PM
I've been completely on Linux for like 3 years now -- I don't play a lot of games, but I've been playing Star Wars Galaxies on Ubuntu with Cedega with no problems...

andlinux21
May 28th, 2005, 10:43 AM
I am not completely Linux just yet I still have XP Pro for DVD Rips and my VHS to DVD converter card and software. I do have a Ubuntu only laptop which i take everywhere with me now. It picked my cameras right up and i can save my pictures to my laptop which is great even though i have 128M memory cards in each (Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P1, Fuji FinePix 2650) Gimp will do for my picture editing needs. :grin:

betrayed
May 28th, 2005, 02:55 PM
I am fully linux now. Well how about fully *nix. My laptop has freebsd installed on it. Most of my machines do have vmware installed with windows xp though. As a programmer for windows I got to pay the bills somehow. For personal use though there is nothing I can't get done in linux.

nova
May 29th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Im very close to getting rid of windows. Ive only got 4 things holding me back that im tackling one at a time.
1 rubies of eventide got it running but have some graphics glitches and slower performance. Rubies is a d3d game im running it with a cvs build of cedega i found online. It would seem from word of mouth that the cvs builds of cedega may not have all the direct x code. So if this is the case and the version i get when i have the free cash to get a transgaming 3 month member ship and my isues are gone with that then thats one item off the list.
2 ryzom this shuld work with out any isues as ryzom another mmorpg i play has a open gl mode.
3 truspace again im gona guess it will work flawlessly as it to has a ogl rendering mode
and finaly
4 3dmax same thing as truespace i should be able to run it with out isues in ogl rendering

So once my isues with rubies are gone it should be easy goign for the other 3 things.

Seti
May 29th, 2005, 10:16 PM
I had an XP partition on here until the end of last semester and didn't have to do VB homework anymore. Now its GONE!!!!!!!

I don't miss windows one bit. GOOD RIDDANCE! :)

thechitowncubs
May 30th, 2005, 01:00 AM
I do and so does every other computer in my house.

Zelut
June 1st, 2005, 04:55 PM
LOL it sounds like an AA meeting in here. Almost every post starts with...

"I've been windows free..." May as well say "I've been dry/clean/sober..."

I've been clean for a while now. Only windows in my house is my roommate (getting kicked out soon, but not JUST because he uses windows ;) ) I have a ubuntu notebook (emachines M5312) and a Dell hand-me-down 100% ubuntu. I'm telling my friends & family. Keep up the good work everybody.

parkash
June 2nd, 2005, 01:54 AM
I've been a Linux user for a bit more than 2 years now... And I've had no problems due to I'm not a gamer.

Nevertheless I've been having a lot of trouble inhouse because my brothers are gamers [-X

Besides, I enjoy using my webcam from time to time with MSN Messenger...

Right now I use Ubuntu and alternate btw BSD, Gentoo, and wanna try Lunar soon :)

lleberg
June 2nd, 2005, 03:13 AM
I got my new (my first very own!) computer last week, and thought it would take away the spirit of the new workhorse with a OS like windows, either expensive or illegal, but allways booring and with a very made-in-china feeling ;) Running the 64bit version of ubuntu, didn't thought that much about it when downloading it, but i miss the flashplayer!

The old computer P3 500 mhz Compaq from the late 90s.. thinking of having ubuntu installed on it, but I'll have to convince my sisters and mom first ;) and need some more experience!

unkilbeeg
June 4th, 2005, 08:03 PM
I've administered Windows networks off an on over the years, but I've never really used it personally. Windows was way behind OS/2 until the late 90s, and by that time Linux was getting pretty usable.

I don't play games, and for what I do with a computer, Windows has always been too limiting. I always feel like I've put on big mittens when I sit in front of a Wintendo box -- it's just so hard to DO anything.

I've got one Ubuntu box set up as a test workstation. Most of my workstations are Gentoo -- I like the combination of ease of maintenance and flexibility of configuration. Most of my servers are either Debian Sarge or CentOS4. I'm not a big fan of the way RedHat sets stuff up, but some of the hardware I have seems happier under RH/CentOS.

GeneralZod
June 4th, 2005, 09:41 PM
I started using Linux (Mandrake 10) part-time back in August of last year. The only two Windows apps I really missed were Digiguide (a UK TV Listings viewer) and CDisplay (a comic book viewer, use for reading .cbz and .cbr files). For the former, I found a decent source of listings and wrote my own client to view them. For the latter, CDisplay runs more or less perfectly under WINE. Now that I've discovered that rarlabs offer the source code to unrar on their site (.cbr files are basically renamed .rar files), I might write my own version of CDisplay for Linux, although the unrar sources are not GPL, and may not be compatible with the GPL. For games, I have my UT04 install which has remained completely unchanged (and still working perfectly!) across installs of about 3 different distros. Oh, and LBreakout2 :)

In November, I attempted to install Gentoo and accidentally nuked my Windows partition :D - I didn't bother to reinstall. Earlier this year, I finally got round to copying my files stored on an NTFS partition to a proper file system, and freed-up some much needed space. This was the last trace of Windows on my desktop :) A few weeks after Kubuntu was released, I backed up the harddrive of my laptop, and installed Kubuntu on it.

I'm now completely Microsoft-free and, although there are concessions to make (I disliked Microsoft as a company, but do think they make some very good software which will probably never be matched in the F/OSS world), it is immensely liberating and I couldn't be happier :) Linux has developed so shockingly fast over the last year/ year and a half that it makes my head spin (I first tried it in Sept '03 - Mandrake 9.1 - and it was, to me, almost entirely unusable), and I'm sure it has a very bright future ahead of it.

So congratulations to all of the people who have contributed to it - you should all be very proud of what you have achieved :)

janrinok
June 4th, 2005, 11:37 PM
I left ******* behind about a year ago. Tried Mandrake, Slack and then Fedora. All fine but some niggles. I've just converted my home network (6 computers) over to Ubuntu and I am very happy. No problems, with machines varying from a 386 (133MHz) as my mail server / SPAM killer to an AMD 2.2GHz with DVD writer / sound etc All hardware found first time although I did have a glitch using partitions that had been formatted by Fedora (I suspect it was SELinux that caused the problem even though it was always disabled). My wife is also a very happy convertee to linux from M$. Her computer 'just works' and does exactly what she wants it to do. We don't play games (well, the usual games provided by Ubuntu, but nothing that needs state-of-the-art graphics) and there is nothing that M$ could give me that I cannot do now. My digital camera is recognised when I plug it in and GIMP is superb at image manipulation. My network just runs but I have got to confirm that my UPS is still capable of talking to my master computer. Jan.

vega44
June 4th, 2005, 11:46 PM
I left ******* behind about a year ago. Tried Mandrake, Slack and then Fedora. All fine but some niggles. I've just converted my home network (6 computers) over to Ubuntu and I am very happy. No problems, with machines varying from a 386 (133MHz) as my mail server / SPAM killer to an AMD 2.2GHz with DVD writer / sound etc All hardware found first time although I did have a glitch using partitions that had been formatted by Fedora (I suspect it was SELinux that caused the problem even though it was always disabled). My wife is also a very happy convertee to linux from M$. Her computer 'just works' and does exactly what she wants it to do. We don't play games (well, the usual games provided by Ubuntu, but nothing that needs state-of-the-art graphics) and there is nothing that M$ could give me that I cannot do now. My digital camera is recognised when I plug it in and GIMP is superb at image manipulation. My network just runs but I have got to confirm that my UPS is still capable of talking to my master computer. Jan.
im 100% windows user. into games support linuxim going to stay this way

zielsko
June 5th, 2005, 12:11 AM
There is no Windows (TM) on our new computer. Previously we have been using Mandrake as default and 98se as second os. Unfortunetly we still need 98 for hp scanjet2400 :/ So from time to time i must use Windows.

Gtaylor
June 5th, 2005, 05:30 AM
I use 90% Linux/Ubuntu between work and recreation and only boot into Windows for the occasional game of PlanetSide or World of Warcraft. WoW runs crappy in Cedega for me and PS is just Windows. I get very frustrated with the sluggishness/rebooting that comes along with Windows and the fact that something I can do with one command takes a multitude of mouse clicks and jumping through hoops on Windows. That and everything is abstracted to the point where it's harder to get into the guts of things, whereas with Ubuntu I can get as deep or shallow as I'd like into the innards.

In the end it's flexibility and power. For what I primarily do (development), Ubuntu rocks.

strawman
June 5th, 2005, 06:31 AM
completely switched over to linux for over half a year. i can do everthing that i need to do in ubuntu. With ubuntu everthing works for me (and i've tried lots of dists), including mouse button navigation, printer, remote desktop to my sisters xp box - everything! the ubuntu forums are the best and that's a big part of what makes this distribution number one. :)

booyah
June 5th, 2005, 09:02 AM
I've been without windows at home for at least a year now. All we really need is a way to get/send email and create basic dvds. Linux has been great in this respect.

Actually, this ubuntu install just happened about 30 minutes ago. Props to the devs and anyone else involved with the releases. I've got everything working with no configuration...sweet. Compared to some other installs, dang that was quick and painless. Granted, I've jumped ship from gentoo (at least for the pc my wife uses), so I should expect other distros to be easier. So, all I really had to do was reboot and click on the icon that said I had updates, and here I am. I don't even recall Redhat being this friggin easy (they made me go through some bs for my sound card).

Again, great jobs devs and anyone else. Hopefully I can help this distro out some where/time down the road.

Swag
June 5th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Made the complete switch to months ago, and I'm verry pleased with Ubuntu and the community (you!). The only thing I'm missing is a tracker/sequencer that can handle VST synths.

Lincx
June 5th, 2005, 05:39 PM
I just made the complete switch today my siblings are starting to get old enough to use the computer lol so i put ubuntu on All the boxes i own. Wouldnt want them to grow up with windows like i did lol

Woooo almost forgot something has anyone connected their psp to a Linux System i have to try because if it doesnt work im gonna ](*,)

christooss
June 5th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Now I am complitely Ubuntu freak. It drives me mad beacause he is so good. Best distro in the whole world

I see winxp every once in avile on my mothers comp. No dual boot for me since I stoped playing GTA vice City :)

/edit This is my 100. post

Curlydave
June 5th, 2005, 05:50 PM
I have Windows on my main hard-drive, and Ubuntu on my experimenting hard-drive. I'd really like to switch over fully to Linux, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Only 2 (3 if you count the RedOrchestra mod for UT2k4, which rocks btw) of my games work with Linux. Others may or may not work with emulators. The performance is absoultely abysmal in them, and my surround sound card doens't work at all. I can't figure out how to enable AA/AF/vsync etc either. Ubuntu doens't have enough advantages over Windows to balance out the lack of adequate game/game hardware support.

So, games.

scooby
June 6th, 2005, 07:14 AM
I'm heading that way, but there are still some holdups. First, let it be known that I'm no whiz with computers. I'm a bit more knowledgable than some, and I can do some damage with graphics (2d and 3d). And like many others, I'm tired of windows due to its' costs and security weaknesses. But if the os doesn't catch something, I'm in trouble. It took me a month to get my modem set up in Linux. I still can't get my pda to work (palm zire 21, anybody?). I just recently started to network pc's together, so it took me a couple days to get samba to read my windows boxes.
I'm truthfully still dabbling, but most likely in the next year I will swap completely. My goal: I have an Athlon XP 2500+ with windows 2000, SP4 as my 'good' pc. I won't go to XP, so when w2k is no longer updated I'm going over full to linux; my experiences have led me to prefer Ubuntu (forum support is fantastic!) over Mandriva or SimplyMepis.

rjstevens3
June 6th, 2005, 09:04 AM
i have!

ubuntu + cedega are all i need

geearf
June 6th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Nowadays i moslty use kubuntu.

I only boot in Windows to :
1- resize my partitions with PM (to give linux more space of course :) )
2- connect to a W2000 server windows (if there was a way to do so from linux i'd be happy though :) ).

jonathanhanna
June 8th, 2005, 02:37 AM
At least on my own computer, I've been Windows free for about 2 years. I made the complete switch with Libranet, then moved to Ubuntu.

I use Macs at church, Windows in my family, and (please feel free to laugh) DOS at work!! Yes, we still use DOS and surprise, surprise, we've have trouble with the system everyday and can't get our shipments done!

Everyday I go home and feel so glad I use Linux, dispite the minor problems I have with multimedia occationally.

If Macs were more inexpensive, there would be a slim chance I'd use 'em - not too interested in joining a cult though :)

CyberLizard
June 9th, 2005, 06:48 PM
I've been running Linux as my main desktop at home since 2000. I started with RedHat, got tired of the tangled dependencies with RPM and switched to Debian. I had a brief flirtation with Gentoo, but I've fallen in love with Ubuntu! My primary laptop is now Ubuntu and next comes my secondary laptop, then my desktop. The only thing I ever boot Windows for is to play certain games and so my wife can use iTunes with her iPod.

I got iTunes working with Codeweavers CrossoverOffice, but it wouldn't recognize her iPod and I haven't been able to get gtkpod-aac to read the files downloaded from iTunes. Oh, well. A few more months and she'll get her iMac and I won't have to worry about it :roll:

desdinova
June 9th, 2005, 07:36 PM
I found Linux in 1997 with an early RH/Suse, then used various distro's (MDK/Suse etc) and went sole Linux in 2000 - I recently changed to Ubuntu from Suse 9.2

Teren
June 11th, 2005, 04:38 PM
I found Linux in 1997 with an early RH/Suse, then used various distro's (MDK/Suse etc) and went sole Linux in 2000 - I recently changed to Ubuntu from Suse 9.2
Starting from yesterday, my PC single boots Ubuntu ;)
I used to dual boot Knoppix+Windows, then Ubuntu+Windows starting from 01.2005
I noticed, that I haven't booted in to Win since 03.2005, so yesterday I did mke2fs on /dev/hda1 (Win drive) :D

christooss
June 11th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Congratulation

albazero
June 11th, 2005, 09:10 PM
i still use windows on my desktop, but its starting to act up so im going to format to dual boot ubuntu and xp

my laptop is currently in the same setup, unbuntu and xp, and once i get everything set up for my laptop im going to do the same for my desktop

skoal
June 11th, 2005, 09:36 PM
I've been using Linux exclusively for 6 years now. I for one welcome my new Finnish overlord master...

\\//_

uc50_ic4more
June 12th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Sadly, I am being held back from switching over several people/ clients (who are also people!):

My system -
I do audio, video, web, etc., and Flash MX 2004, Steinberg Nuendo, Avid, etc. do not play nice with Wine. It's funny - at one point, Steinberg was developing Nuendo for IRIX *before* Windows, and a lot of Avid stuff works on IRIX...

Other systems -
My wife's stupid, stupid, stupid .mp3 player requires a proprietary app which is, you guessed it, Windows only. The FirstClass e-mail client she uses as a high school teacher will be releasing a beta for Linux soon, but for now is Windows/ Mac only. I do not know if either of those apps play nice w/ Wine. The wireless card on her laptop has been a bugger to configure, too. ](*,)

It seems as though every one of my clients has either a printer or scanner that cannot talk to Sane or CUPS.

qalimas
June 12th, 2005, 03:32 AM
I would switch to live CD's completely except I can't find any of them can play MPEG movies :-( . ..

Try Slax, and add the mpeg module to it

poofyhairguy
June 12th, 2005, 04:12 AM
Sadly, I am being held back from switching over several people/ clients (who are also people!):

My system -
I do audio, video, web, etc., and Flash MX 2004, Steinberg Nuendo, Avid, etc. do not play nice with Wine. It's funny - at one point, Steinberg was developing Nuendo for IRIX *before* Windows, and a lot of Avid stuff works on IRIX...

Other systems -
My wife's stupid, stupid, stupid .mp3 player requires a proprietary app which is, you guessed it, Windows only. The FirstClass e-mail client she uses as a high school teacher will be releasing a beta for Linux soon, but for now is Windows/ Mac only. I do not know if either of those apps play nice w/ Wine. The wireless card on her laptop has been a bugger to configure, too. ](*,)

It seems as though every one of my clients has either a printer or scanner that cannot talk to Sane or CUPS.

Sounds like you have a lot of reasons not to switch. When I did, only DVD Shrink holded me back. But after a while of dual booting I decided that since I quit my pirating software habbit, I could kick my DVD copying habbit as well. And if my morals slip again there is a great howto now that tells me how to do it.

uc50_ic4more
June 12th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Sounds like you have a lot of reasons not to switch.

Nope - This just leads me to make darn sure that *every* one of these software and hardware vendors knows how displeased one of their customers is that their products are not Linux-friendly.

I use the Brute Strength and Ignorance (BSI) technique to trudge through my work every day. :grin: I have hooked up a coffee caraffe intravenously into my arm, and learned the Linux equivlents of the tools I can. Laboriously, I imported all of my e-mails into Evolution. You wanna know what the *real* beeee-otch was? Converting *all* of my CMYK .psd files to RGB so The GIMP can see them.

I am switching, albeit gradually, and I am taking every opportunity possible to bring people with me.

aysiu
June 12th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Nope - This just leads me to make darn sure that *every* one of these software and hardware vendors knows how displeased one of their customers is that their products are not Linux-friendly.

I use the Brute Strength and Ignorance (BSI) technique to trudge through my work every day. :grin: I have hooked up a coffee caraffe intravenously into my arm, and learned the Linux equivlents of the tools I can. Laboriously, I imported all of my e-mails into Evolution. You wanna know what the *real* beeee-otch was? Converting *all* of my CMYK .psd files to RGB so The GIMP can see them.

I am switching, albeit gradually, and I am taking every opportunity possible to bring people with me.

It's one thing to say your own email will go to Evolution, but I've worked in a school that uses FirstClass, and it doesn't play nice with other email clients (Evolution, Thunderbird, etc.). Of course, you can always check FirstClass through a web browser, but that's not really the same thing, is it?

Dual-booting is a wonderful thing, for now.

ssck
June 20th, 2005, 10:49 AM
i have completely moved over to ubuntu 5.04 from xp since may 2005 ..... and loving every minute of it

christooss
June 20th, 2005, 09:38 PM
I anwser you like this

1)Gimp - Painter is a joke comparision
2)Gaim - MSN Messenger 7 has no IRC ICQ JABBER etc. support
3) WTF Visual Basic HAhA
4) My soundcard works, and many others, without drivers. alsa doesit all
5) matroska xcd and many other konainers
6) Hmmm. I don't need all that **** included in my office suit. menus in MSoffice are confuzed!
7) Ati released new drivers for graphic cards
8) I get hier framerate through cedega
9) I don't use wireless :(
10) Retarded? Hm. Have used synaptic or apt-get?
11) Bill Gates started writing in a garage OMG
12) I sallut you Microsoft

poofyhairguy
June 20th, 2005, 09:45 PM
11) Most linux applications are written by teenagers who will stop once they get laid. I rather have my software written by professionals with degrees, rather than beta illegally reversed engineered s***.
12) I'm not a communist nor a socialist with an anti-capitalist agenda

I don't care if you like windows more or not, this is disrespectful. The Ubuntu developers are professionals who get paid well for their work.

You stepped over the line this time.

SpEcIeS
June 21st, 2005, 04:18 AM
Uuuuhhhmmmm... UBUNTU ROCKS !!!! :grin:

s
m
a
l
l

t
a
l
k

equal
June 21st, 2005, 08:57 PM
I bought my computer second hand, and when I screwed up my system (missing .dlls) I didn't have a Windows CD to reformat with. So I found an Ubuntu CD I'd been planning on installing as dual-boot with my XP, reformatted, and installed Ubuntu as my sole OS. So maybe I'm not running it solo by choice, but all in all, I'm loving it enough that I don't intend on reinstalling Windows at all.

Curlydave
June 21st, 2005, 10:20 PM
I don't care if you like windows more or not, this is disrespectful. The Ubuntu developers are professionals who get paid well for their work.

You stepped over the line this time.

Add "10)" to the list as well. As I was reading through that post, and when I got to the last 3, all credability was lost. That post was up there with the attitudes (only in reverse) you see on the Linuxforums website.

minimidgy
June 22nd, 2005, 12:07 AM
I gave up on windows after I received this error message on boot-up:

keyboard failure
press F1 to continue

sapo
June 22nd, 2005, 01:16 AM
I gave up on windows after I received this error message on boot-up:

keyboard failure
press F1 to continue

it is a BIOS error msg.. not windows :roll:

Takis
June 22nd, 2005, 01:26 AM
If anybody has a magical solution to get Rome: Total War and San Andreas ported onto Ubuntu, I may just have to wipe my Windows partition. It's not like it does much else.

Dave_is_sexy
June 22nd, 2005, 08:12 PM
I'm doing quite well with just Ubuntu for now. As a designer I am anticipating that I wont be able to do some things as well as on windows. Gimp is all well and good, but thanks I'll stick with photoshop. I tried crossover, but something's wrong - it doesn't run as well. I don't know if that could be due to hardware acceleration?

Thankfully HP ported PTC Pro/engineer my CAD package, but only the commercial version. (hello? students). So I'm after getting a trial of that since as a native unix ap, it should run better. Apt-get doesn't seem to want to help out tho

Oh and I miss virtualdub.

gstrock
June 23rd, 2005, 07:16 AM
I completely switched. 5 years ago.

I just bought my first
laptop a week ago, wiped xp off and installed Ubuntu.
otherwise I run gentoo on my desktop and at work.

seven.user
June 23rd, 2005, 01:57 PM
I have been using Windows for years, and have tried to switch to linux before. However, I recently switched to Ubuntu for use on my laptop, and I LOVE IT. I can't believe i didn't make the switch before. I am not getting rid of Windows since i work in the industry and well.... it is my bread and butter.

Right Now,
Laptop running Ubuntu
Random PC running Fedora Core 4 as samba server and to learn linux so more
Windows 2003 Enterprise Server as main file server
Windows XP- setup as my media machine hooked up to my surrond sound system

Skel
June 23rd, 2005, 06:14 PM
Just stiwched to Ubuntu full time after Windows destroyed grub and i got far to pissed to calm myself... Wiped out windows and i am happy

been liek 2 days... :razz:

Technoviking
June 23rd, 2005, 06:26 PM
I'm a Windows System Administrator, so I can't completely get rid of Windows. Still not enough jobs in the Linux field.

Mike

crashtest
June 23rd, 2005, 07:29 PM
I'm a Windows System Administrator, so I can't completely get rid of Windows. Still not enough jobs in the Linux field.

Mike

I'm a Windows Sysadmin as well, but my company also uses a lot of *nix. Aside from 75 Windows notebooks and a couple of Win2k servers, my office has a dozen Solaris and HPUX boxes, and 68 Linux servers configured in a compute farm using Sun Grd software. There are another 20 or so Linux desktop machines as well.

The only problem is all the Linux machines are Redhat. Blech!

last1
June 23rd, 2005, 07:54 PM
I've been using nothing but Linux for about six months now. It's so nice not to have to worry about all those windows problems. I thought I'd miss gaming, but I don't really care about that anymore. I sometimes play a few of the hundreds of free games in the repositories, those are always fun, if not exactly bleeding edge.

I was told that the only way I'd ever really get good at Linux and be able to enjoy what it has to offer is to not use a dual-boot system, and that was the best advice I've been given ever, it was so true. Once I had only Linux, I had to force myself to learn all the complicated stuff to enjoy Linux as more than just a beginner user.

Kvark
June 25th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Have used Linux only for 6 months now. I fear it's only a matter of time though before I install WinXP as dual boot again to be able to run a few special windows programs from time to time. Doing normal tasks in windows will feel like troubleshooting now after being spoiled by Ubuntu.

If/when I'm forced to use windows again I'll call tech support and say:
"my filesystem broke into two parts called C and D how do i put them together again, and the two parts are both fragmented whats that supposed to mean, and it takes more then 2 clicks to install a program that can't be right, and there is some strange slowdown when I got only 30 windows open at once, and the cumputer says it has virus should I take it to the doctor?"

...so glad I've been able to stay completely windows free so far. As you can probably tell. I'm still having nightmares about windows.

rymdapan
June 28th, 2005, 09:38 PM
I was pretty impressed with this Ubuntu thing soo i totaly switcht to linux, after about a couple of houres testing i installd it as my only OS, ths thing gives me as mutch porn and music as my old windows did but this is more fun :P

sorry for my bad english, i am from sweden :P

Ubuntu is fun, thats all to it :)

manicka
June 28th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Completely at home about a year ago. At work I maintain a mac (mainly OSX) system with a few windows machines thrown in. I have OSX on my work laptop and must admit I like it a lot.

The main reason that I switched too Ubuntu and gnome from SuSE/KDE was because it feels so similar to OSX that I use at work everyday. Basically I think that if it's nix based, I'm happy :)

KrazyPenguin
June 29th, 2005, 03:05 AM
I have completely switched to Linux, using SimplyMepis, in December 2004.

I am almost 7 months cured ;-)

I think it is BS when people say that they still use Windose cuz of games.

I play UT2004 and Diablo II on Ubuntu, and they run much better.

Probably cuz you don't need all that extra crap running like spyware-blocker, destroyers, ad-frees, and virus-search-and-conquor type of programs.
Those slow down the CPU and suck up alot of RAM.

Real gamers use Linux, get better effiency out of their computer and also better FPS.

;-)

XDevHald
June 29th, 2005, 03:09 AM

Probably cuz you don't need all that extra crap running like spyware-blocker, destroyers, ad-frees, and virus-search-and-conquor type of programs.

Real gamers use Linux, get better effiency out of their computer and also better FPS.

;-)
Amen! Linux does the same thing, but MUCH better and MUCH cleaner and faster. Performance in gaming is smoother and the graphics card can actually breathe while reading the frames in MB's, ah, sweet relief :D

sapo
June 29th, 2005, 03:10 AM
Amen! Linux does the same thing, but MUCH better and MUCH cleaner and faster. Performance in gaming is smoother and the graphics card can actually breathe while reading the frames in MB's, ah, sweet relief :D

But it is a reality just for nvidia users... i ask myself everyday.. WHY THE HELL DID I BUY AN ATI CARD? :|

gorkhal
June 29th, 2005, 04:39 AM
Been only 2 days, but I AM NEVER GOING BACK TO WINDOWS....

Until they bring out their own linux flavor of course.. ;-)

ahornby
June 29th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Been using Linux since 1997.

Use it at home and at work.

Still have to support some windows stuff at work ... working on changing that ;-)

Revolution happens from within

Ubuntu is a great distro keep up the good work

Anthony

fubarpa
June 29th, 2005, 03:22 PM
I wish I could compeltely switch to Linux, but my gaming habit, and some work stuff, stands in the way of that. I run dual-boot Ubuntu / WinXP Home on both my desktop and my laptop. My desktop has an Nvidia GeForce 6600GT card, so I can game in Linux as well, but games like Battlefield 2 and Half-Life 2 still need Windows (at least for me). I haven't tried Cedega / Wine for these, but I may in the future.

My home fileserver is running good ole Debian :)

sonny
June 29th, 2005, 03:55 PM
In my home machine I don't have windows, I overcame the gamming habit by just playing those games running under Linux; there's plenty of them out there. At work I have to use windows, but I'm please cuz I know all the stuff I do there can be done in Linux with no hussel, as all my school-work I do it in Linux sometimes I try some of the things I do at work and I can do it with no problems. So I can say that I'm not completely switched, but I know it can be done.

poofyhairguy
June 29th, 2005, 09:27 PM
I haven't tried Cedega / Wine for these, but I may in the future.

Cedega play halflife 2 pretty good on my Nvidia card. It throws up on my ATI card though.

wherethebibawi
June 29th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Why can't i have the best of both worlds?
:roll:
I have switched over to linux on my laptop totaly, however, i still use windows on my main-frame, unlike linux the majority of commercial software is writen for windows (slackers), when this begins to change and i can get specialised applications for linux i will totaly change over. For now it seems that i can live a double life. By day Mr Windows and by night i transform into Dr linux. The Jekel and Hyde of OS's....

poofyhairguy
June 29th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Why can't i have the best of both worlds?

You can. Linux on a Powerbook:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7012

lol

chestnut
July 25th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Linux 99%, apart from win4lin that powers a minimal win98 install to run a couple of items that I cannot get in Linux, ie, MS Excel (so I can use VBA macro's) & Australian taxation office's e-tax software (I have contacted them in regards to providing a Linux version)

Everything else Linux. Have bit the bullet with anything Midi (I just cannot get MIDI server to run in Linux correctly), games; not really had the time for them, however, the odd blast on Defender (mame) is sometimes called for :)

soulstler1
August 3rd, 2005, 08:04 PM
I have been using Ubuntu for about 3 months. I used to use windows xp mostly, but since I have got my winmodem working I haven't went back. The only reason XP is on my system is I run a computer repair business and 95% of my customer are windows based.

skatedawe
August 3rd, 2005, 08:27 PM
I used Suse 9.2 on my school laptop for almost 1 year. I will quit using Win xp as soon as i get my external lacie 250Gb, (i need to save all my things). AS soon as i get it, the heaven will open. I've tried the Ubuntu live cd and i was like crying when i had to boot up windows.

In about 1 month i will have it installed on the laptop and the maincomputer at home. *wieee*. I don't think i will have any problems with the 100% switch, except if I don't find any videorecording / rendring program.

It tingles when I think about it. :)

darkmatter
August 3rd, 2005, 10:20 PM
No Windows here...

Here's praying I never have to see that monstrosity again...

leoandru
August 4th, 2005, 01:39 AM
I am trying to make a complete move from windows. The only problem is that I work for a windows development company and I may carry home work. I want to switch to a linux consulting company but that may take some time. Apart from dev and Gaming I don't use windows, I use Ubunutu for everything else!

mortsahl
August 4th, 2005, 04:27 AM
I use XP for only 1 app ... Quicken ... so I run VMWare. As soon as the next version of Crossover Office is released I'll buy it and dump VMWare and XP forever (Quicken supposedly will work on the next version of Crossover Office). Sure wish there was a native Linux port of it.

frodon
August 4th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Total conversion done ;-) .

Glad to see that counter strike run faster than with windows using cedega and opengl :)
I use windows only to write on NTFS external drive of my friends (who come with NTFS drive !!!).

Ubuntu is really great !

Ampersand
August 4th, 2005, 12:01 PM
I've been using Linux almost exclusively since windows failed to cope with me rebuilding my main computer. Other than commercial games, I've not found anything that I can't do under Linux and quite a few that I couldn't easily do under windows. I've recently bought a second hand dual boot laptop, but still mostly remain in Ubuntu.

charlieg
August 4th, 2005, 03:35 PM
I use Linux exclusively at home (unless a client supplies a Windows development machine). I did use Gentoo (before that the RPM hell aka Redhat / Mandrake) but now Ubuntu is capturing my tech heart.

Kirzzy_Boy
August 6th, 2005, 10:39 PM
I switched to ubuntu about a week ago! My wife and son are still on XP for the time being but I hope to change that soon. I've just had enough of Win-**** to last a lifetime.

swamytk
August 7th, 2005, 02:16 AM
I started using Linux with Redhat 8. Then switched over to Mandrake 10. Mandrake 10 was one which made me to switch over to Linux from windows. But I was not satisfied fully. Last month only I started using Ubuntu. Last 6 months I am not booting into windows. I am very much comfortable with Ubuntu. WINDOWS is only @ OFFICE. UBUNTU @HOME and @OFFICE laptop unofficially. In summay,

******* I SWITCHED OVER TO LINUX *********

npaladin2000
August 7th, 2005, 09:14 AM
I use Ubuntu except for 3 items: Commercial games, VMWare sessions, and my server..surprisingly enough, yes, my server is running XP Pro and my laptop is usually booted to Ubuntu. ;) But said "server" is sitting next to the TV using BeyondTV to do TiVO work, so Windows is a better choice anyway. Besides, it's stable enough to only need a reboot once every several months.

markthecarp
August 7th, 2005, 04:05 PM
I started using Linux in '98 with RedHat 6.0 on a P-200. Netscape 4.2 or 3 really sucked back then. Fully Linux since '99.

Currently run my workstation on Ubuntu. It dual boots to FreeBSD. Laptop runs Ubuntu and would dual boot to xppro if I'd bother to edit my grub config. Public webserver runs Debian testing. Private cups/samba server runs FC3. Testing a Sun SparcStation 20 with Debian. Smoothwall running on an old 466 Celeron is much better than trusting an "off the shelf" router box.

I've used most of the major distros at some point. Ubuntu kicks the proverbial butt. About the only thing I'd like to see added would be Yast. I'd like to see some distro besides Novell/SuSE implement this very nice tool.

-mark

mcrofutt
August 7th, 2005, 06:55 PM
I've been messing with Linux distros for a few months now and have settled in with Ubuntu for my main OS. I completely removed Window$ from my machine last night!!
My wife runs XP on hers, so I use it to dial into the net with. Haven't yet gotten modems figgered out,,,lol
I sure do feel much better about going to nearly any site and doing anything I need to now. I'm looking forward to the "Breezy Badger" release and the upgrade to OO.o 2 as well.
See ya'll down the road a piece! Happy LINUXING!

idokus
August 7th, 2005, 08:03 PM
linux is my main OS, I use it for programming, studying, music, video, im etc.

but I do have it for some banking activities, they use an app which is, already hell to get installed in win XP, and my bank is only supporting windows. :(
and some graphical programs like adobe photoshop and maya educational. (both have as far as I know no linux port, and have quite a complex gui I'm familiar with, my reason to keep up with the win version instead of gimp which has also a complex ui, but quite different from what I'm familiar with.

ilbahr
August 9th, 2005, 10:07 AM
I use ubuntu for everything except faxing (modem not recognized), printing, scanning and finally editing pdf files which i do sooo often

coosa
August 9th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Give me a break pal.
I'm a neutral person whos uses windows as a primary Os. I explored around with a couple of Linux OS such as RedHat, Mandrake, Suse and Ubuntu.
I tried Solaris and Mac.
After that comparison, would u suggest a better user-friendly OS, which has enhanced hardware & software support than Windows XP?!
I'm not a microsoft fanatic but i disgus blind people who forget facts.

bearbigears
August 9th, 2005, 09:26 PM
i switched about two months ago when i first downloaded ubuntu. it was love at first site. it is the linux os that i have been looking for a longtime.

Jessehk
August 10th, 2005, 12:56 AM
i switched about two months ago when i first downloaded ubuntu. it was love at first site. it is the linux os that i have been looking for a longtime.
I need windows so that I can use MIcrosoft Office.

I need combatability, and openoffice does not always convert well.

KageKeeper
August 10th, 2005, 01:03 AM
I use nothing but linux.

Anything I need is on linux and if it's not I use wine (for photoshop, dvd shrink/decrypter, etc.)

poofyhairguy
August 10th, 2005, 01:11 AM
I need windows so that I can use MIcrosoft Office.

I need combatability, and openoffice does not always convert well.

You need Crossover office.

Epyon
August 10th, 2005, 02:17 AM
i used to run Linux and Windows at the same time, different partitions, but i thought that i wasnt learning it really.
so i just deleted all the partitions and made Ubuntu the sole Linux on my machine. i figured that i would only learn linux through neccecity. like when i would want to watch a video or install a program, id have to since there would be no other way.

suffisive to say, ITS WORKING! \\:D/

darkmatter
August 10th, 2005, 06:01 AM
suffisive to say, ITS WORKING! \\:D/

Yes, full immersion is the ONLY way to go...

Ubunted
August 10th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Well I'm pleased to say that today I am completely Ubuntu-native. It started with the arrival of an Nvidia card, continued with a fresh install of Ubuntu, and wrapped up when I figured out fullscreen video and DVD burning in Ubuntu. Since I no longer game, really the only reason to keep Windows around at all is Google Earth and the fact that I don't want to mess up my partitions.

At any rate, once Breezy comes out, it will be bye-bye Bill!

FNM
August 10th, 2005, 06:17 AM
I've been Windows free for about 6 months. :)

Substance
August 10th, 2005, 08:33 AM
I've been Windows free for about 6 months. :)

ive been windows free for about 2 weeks lol since i have ut2004/hl2 and thats all i play except playing some music and surfing the web :) fedora core didnt work for me but i got my 30+ cd's couple weeks ago and boom got everything i needed to work (wasnt easy but it works now wooohoo) i might forget about dualbooting and remove Windows formaty and install ubuntu on my 200GB instead of my 120GB =/ O:)

foxy123
August 11th, 2005, 10:22 AM
I tried Linux for the first time last autumn. My first experience was SuSE 9.2, which is a great distro. However, a couple of things were bugging me so I tried Yoper and was not impressed (it is a good distro if you're looking for something fast and light). Then it was Warty, which refused to connect to the Internet on my machine. Then eventually I installed Hoary Hedgehog and it was it. Very good product and great community.

Initially I used three OS on my desktop: WinXP, SuSE and Ubuntu. After a couple months I stopped booting into WinXP, since I had no need in it. Then I removed SuSE and left WinXP (since my son prefers it) and Ubuntu.

Finally I bought myself a laptop and after a few minutes of choosing between SuSE 9.3 and Ubuntu I went for the latter and do not regret it for a moment. So far Ubuntu satisfies all my computing needs. There is an issue of compatibility in charts between MSExcel and Ooo, but I guess I can always buy a CrossOver Office to check if the charts look fine in Excel.

However, I do not play games and do not do a lot of multimedia stuff, so I cannot vouch if all this is going to be easy on Ubuntu. I did not manage to convert my son, and now having the desktop in his whole possession, he rarely boots into Ubuntu.

Sk8rgoth
August 11th, 2005, 10:38 AM
A few weeks i copleatly switched to Linux im a gamer aswell there are aload of games for linux wich are quite good the grafics arnt as good but they are good to play like Q3 Doom ext there are some simple games wich i wouldnt normal play on but they can be good fun at times. There is a way of running windows programs on ur linux system useing winx but do do this u need to do some tweeking if u email me about this i will get back 2 you asap........... oh and my email addy is generalamlh@hotmail.com

Have fun.
Andy (Sk8rgoth)

luca_linux
August 11th, 2005, 11:27 AM
I just run Ubuntu and FreeBSD.

noob_forever
August 12th, 2005, 12:05 PM
I was recently forced to switch to Ubuntu Linux. My crapy Emachine Laptop started to overheat in windows and kept on shutting down within 5 mins from boot. Anyway for the last 2 months I am using Ubuntu and I have got to say that I am very impressed with it. \\:D/

The Unofficial Ubuntu 5.03 Starter Guide has been a great help.
http://ubuntuguide.org/ :)

Brunellus
August 12th, 2005, 03:31 PM
A few weeks i copleatly switched to Linux im a gamer aswell there are aload of games for linux wich are quite good the grafics arnt as good but they are good to play like Q3 Doom ext there are some simple games wich i wouldnt normal play on but they can be good fun at times. There is a way of running windows programs on ur linux system useing winx but do do this u need to do some tweeking if u email me about this i will get back 2 you asap........... oh and my email addy is generalamlh@hotmail.com

Have fun.
Andy (Sk8rgoth)
Wow. I have seen the future, and it is utterly without full-stops.

Next step for me is installing Call of Duty on the ubuntu partition of my computer. Sadly, Rome: Total War doesn't run in wine/cedega (according to all reports).

Ubuntu Linux is my primary OS; WinXP has become my gaming OS. Most people would say "then just get an Xbox/ps2/whatever for games"--but then, how many real wargames are available in those formats? That's right....none.

Grognards have always been a minority segment of the gaming universe, and the lowest-common-denominator ethic of the consoles tends to discourage games which require careful consideration & active thought. Most successful console games that I have seen are either (a) sports games--FIFA, Madden, etc; (b) FPS (Halo, SplinterCell, etc); (c) Driving games; or (d) Find-the-active-pixel-while-we-render-more-hair-on-the-characters RPGs (yes, SquareSoft, I mean YOU).

PC Games have historically been more literate than their console cousins...but that distinction is dying out as well.

gray-squirrel
August 12th, 2005, 05:48 PM

;-)

This is very true. I played Scorched3D after finally getting the Unichrome drivers working, and the display was light-years better than the latest Tomb Raider game I have (The Angel of Darkness) running under Windows in 3D.

I reconfigured Need for Speed 3 to use hardware acceleration last weekend, and it ran a lot better than it did before I bought a new motherboard back in March. However, the display there still does not compare (okey, it's an older game, but still. . .).

I'm not sure about sound, though. After tweaking the settings in Kubuntu and adjusting the volume level on my speakers to compensate, it sounds about the same. I wish I could leave the volume at max on the computer and not touch the stereo system, but I don't like the distortion too much.

To bring a more balanced view to this, though, I can say from experience that when under the Windows regime my computer was spyware- and virus-free because I took proper precautions. . . and, if I needed to play a game, I learned to disconnect from the Internet, then shut down the firewall and virus scanner to free resources up.

Slugger
August 14th, 2005, 08:55 AM
I completely use Ubuntu. I keep Windows around for gaming problems (to test if they work in Windows, basically, then boot into Ubuntu and fix (or try to fix) the problem). I haven't "used" Windows in a long time, but it's still there.
I havent completely switched to Linux, but I am thinking about it. I have Ubuntu on my second computer right now

bjweeks
August 14th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Yep I have burned all my copys of windows. :razz:

Slugger
August 14th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Yep I have burned all my copys of windows. :razz:

I shouldnt be to far behind you on that :)

PsyberOneZero
August 14th, 2005, 09:22 AM
I started with Linux back in '99 after getting a slackware CD from a friend. after that I went through Red Hat, SuSE, Mandrake, Mandrake Gaming Edition(Joke), Sorcerer, Sourcemage, Gentoo and finally last fall I found Ubuntu through Gnoppix and havent gone back to anything else.

I only use ******* at school cause there is only 1 unix programming class and it's a 400 level class (still a frosh, they won't let me take it yet)

to sum it up I've been Bill free for 6 years

Slugger
August 14th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Really soon I will be linux only and will say bye bye to xp for good

teapot
August 14th, 2005, 11:16 PM
I haven't completely switched, and I might never do so. I need support, unfortunately, for driver problems. I just don't know enough to figure out how to get my hardware working properly under Linux. And I don't have the money or contacts to get that support.

On the other hand, in Windows, it all works. (None of my hardware is unusual, and I'm not stupid. That's just the way it is.)

Also, there are programs in Windows that work better than Linux programs, particularly in multimedia and graphics work. Maya, Photoshop (which actually is better than Gimp), and others.

I wish Linux could do it all, but by it's nature I don't believe it will for some time. So until then, I'll dual-boot and keep an eye on things. I'm not going to spend weeks of my time debugging things and testing; I'll have to wait for people who know what they are doing to get things working.

I like to use computers, not struggle with them.

(so go ahead, flame me for not being religious about Linux)

Wide
August 14th, 2005, 11:19 PM
No way in the near future I can completely switch

I need AutoCad & Catia that run on windows

:?

Ubunted
August 14th, 2005, 11:51 PM
At this point I'm keeping Windows around just in case I discover some reason I need a Windows app, but so far I haven't. I'm using this install as a kind of beta, learning how to tweak and tune everything to my liking.

Once Breezy comes, I will nuke and pave the entire drive with Linux.

xequence
August 15th, 2005, 12:07 AM
I think I answered this one before using ubuntu :P Well, all installed...

I keep 3 GB of my 18.9 GB HDD for windows. Some games only work with it. I havnt tried wine yet or anything. I have yet to play them as all most of my time goes to learning ubuntu, which is fun :P

I use ubuntu for just about everything.

I do still have a family computer that I cant download unto, it has windows xp. I only use it when I am not on my other one to go on these forums and other sites.

YourSurrogateGod
August 15th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Bloody-hell, I wish I could switch over completely, but I have a project in .NET, so that's not allowing me to make a complete shift... *sigh*

xequence
August 15th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Im afraid of doing anything in windows except web browsing because I want to get used to the linux way of doing things :P If afraid if I do anything in windows ill loose the little bit im used to linux.

biaz
August 15th, 2005, 02:25 AM
I've been experimenting with Linux for a few years (2 to 2,5). Though during the moments I used Linux it only took a few days each time before switching back to the old familiar Windows environment. Until now. I've installed Ubuntu for about a month ago and from that moment forward I switched to Windows XP only 2 times ever since (1 of those two times was because my mother wanted to use XP instead of Ubuntu). I've learned a lot about Linux by experimenting with it in the past (by trying several distros e.g. Fedora Core 2, Gentoo (too complicated for a beginner in my humble opinion), Debian, etc...), but I never had the feeling I was pleased with the results.

Well... Now I'm more than happy with Ubuntu! It's so easy to maintain because of its userfriendly package managers.

Unfortunately, next month I'll have no other chance than to switch back to Windows. I'm in college at the moment, and 75% of the applications we use in our classes are proprietary systems (which I didn't get to work in Linux). Printing is another issue. I'm not too satisfied with the printing quality whilst using Ubuntu. Except for this last issue, thumbs up for Ubuntu!

*edit: Btw, this is my first post. It's an honour to be a part of this community.

rolfotto
August 15th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Biaz,

Instead of complety switching back to Windows, why don't you dual-boot and get the best of both worlds? :smile:

erikpiper
August 19th, 2005, 02:31 AM
Hi! I am new here, and figured this was a good first post.

I can consider myself Windows free for over a year. My desktop has Linux, changes distros all the time. Winblows free since I got my laptop. My new laptop, came with M$ 2000. I kept it (Tiny partition) because I NEED a windows partition for doing things like testing USB keys with applications like firefox and openoffice for use in school computers. If it wasn't for that, and the free sim Orbiter, I would be technically windows free. I have booted to 2000 one time this summer. Firefox on a USB key!! No more IE at HS!!!!!!

I consider myself totally linux because I hate using windows, and it is extremely acuard (SP) for me to use.

Yeah. did that make any sense? :)

Erik,

poofyhairguy
August 19th, 2005, 07:37 AM
. Firefox on a USB key!! No more IE at HS!!!!!!

Great Idea. I would put the install exe to give to people.

nrayever
August 19th, 2005, 07:51 AM
officialy maybe since last months of 2004. tryed so many linux flavors, but ubuntu got me!! ubuntu rocks!!

lyzer
August 19th, 2005, 10:08 AM
I've been using Linux since SuSE 6 off and on. But back then Linux really couldn't compete at the desktop level with Windows. For the past 4 years however I've been administrating linux servers and desktops and within this time period tried several mainstream flavors including SuSE and RedHat but never found a good desktop solution. Now, finally, I am using Ubuntu. The one release I have been waiting for this entire time, that will truly let me use Linux as a desktop solution. And that's only after today's use.

I downloaded Ubuntu to install the leaked Mac OSX developer dvd and liked what I saw on the Live cd so much that today I decided to run Partition Magic to create space on my laptop hard drive and install Ubuntu.

Now my only issue is that I need Dreamweaver and Photoshop (I refuse to change to new programs because I'm stubborn and I like these :P). I'll either find a way to run them on Ubuntu or buy a Mac mini for that purpose. Games have never been an issue, I've bought and then proceeded to sell every oncsole since Super Nintendo because the games don't hold my attention long enough.

I'm on vacation at the moment, but rest assured when I get back home, the rest of the desktops in the house will be converted to Ubuntu, along with all of the machines at work :).

Hope you had fun reading a little about my habits :)

chili555
August 22nd, 2005, 04:04 AM
I switched completely about four or five years ago, starting with Mandrake 8.something. I started buying hardware that was compatible specifically with Linux (rather than what was on special at Best Buy) and have not had a hardware issue in many years.

My retired wife hung on to XP until late in 2004, with me fighting adware, bloatware, viruses, trojans, updates, etc. daily. Finally she gave in and I installed Fedora Core with KDE on her machine. She emails, surfs the web, instant messages and writes letters happily.

I am a Folding@Home junkie (88,000 points) and run three machines headless 24x7, also running Fedora. My own desktop machine runs Fedora Core 4.

My laptop, an IBM Thinkpad 23 refugee from Ebay runs Ubuntu. Like some others here, I have a "distro-of-the-week" illness, too. So far, I am loving Ubuntu!

I have my wifes old Win XP harddrive in a drawer somewhere so I can do our taxes each April using TaxCut. Otherwise, I don't miss or need Windows.

erikpiper
August 22nd, 2005, 04:31 AM
Great Idea. I would put the install exe to give to people.

Portable free windows versions of Openoffice, NVU Html Editor, Firefox, Thunderbird, and Sunbird. (Last 2 part of mozilla suite) avalible free at http://johnhaller.com

Just unzip to a USB key.

http://coolplayer.sourceforge.net/ Windows OSS Mp3 player. Unzip to key

I am in windows 2000 :( testing these out before school tommorow.

poofyhairguy
August 22nd, 2005, 08:09 AM
I downloaded Ubuntu to install the leaked Mac OSX developer dvd and liked what I saw on the Live cd so much that today I decided to run Partition Magic to create space on my laptop hard drive and install Ubuntu.

Awesome. What a great side effect.

KingBahamut
August 22nd, 2005, 03:26 PM
Totally Linux/Uby here.

I have a win2k partition on my main system for the purposes of testing Cedega compatibility, and ultimately playing some games ( because even though you may not be able to run Cedega with in the linux filesystem to play the games, you can still do so from the win32 partition in many cases with cedega , and im not bothered by installing a game on my win32 partition, only to play it on my linux partition ).

endy
August 22nd, 2005, 05:09 PM
I have been pretty much 100% Linux for years now. I installed linux about six months after buying my first PC and havent looked back. Whenever I have a windows partition 1. It doesn't get used much past the install and 2. It gets deleted :)

Tiede
August 22nd, 2005, 07:41 PM
Well, I decided to try out Linux at the end of last year, tried many liveCDs but after I found out about Ubuntu 3 weeks later, I just had to have it. Two months later, I was at the funeral of my Windows Partition (Windows ME, yes I had the buggiest :D ) and wore RED colors :)
Never wished to go back to Windows ever since.

essexman
August 22nd, 2005, 10:08 PM
I have been full time Ubuntu for a couple of months. I had been struggling along with various dual boot set ups (suse, fedora, mandrake, alongside windows) for about 3 years. I came to Linux with the intention of being Windows free after a bad crash nearly left me unable to complete my accounts on time. After getting broadband and wireless, Ubuntu was the Linux Distro with the easiest RT2500 Wireless card set up.

Thunderbird was the key as it gave me a route to transfer over all my outlook.pst files. Now I am windows free

Ubuntu is not perfect, but it is the best. There are a few websites i can't use; ebuyer have lost my custom as a result and my electricity supplier will be ditched soon - but that is their lost for insisting their customers use IE/windows set-up.

It is also worth noting that after switching to XP I lost use of my 7012 sound chip. It worked fine in ;98 & ;2000; but it works fine in Linux (which I belive might be down to Alan Cox (?), and 'works' is all that counts.

I am windows free and loving it. :smile: