PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

anthony.rasat
September 8th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Count me in. I have completely sold to Linux.

--Completely using Linux (multiple distro at same time) since 2004. Linux distro used to come to play is Red Hat (since 6.2 to 9), Slackware (since 8.0) Mandrake (now Mandriva), Fedora, Endian (firewall distro), Knoppix, Slax (Slackware Live CD), Crux, and currently Ubuntu (since Feisty). BSD family OS are FreeBSD (since 5.0) and OpenBSD.

--Countless Linux server. The oldest operational server (not uptime per se) was based on Slackware 8.0 (kernel 2.2.19, go figure!). The youngest operational server was rocking Hardy.

-- I could find only one long running BSD (I was no longer administrator of that server) of FreeBSD 5.0. That thing is one amazing OS. But of course, what could possibly went wrong to a DNS server? (I kinda favor DJBDNS over other DNS, btw).

Gaming? One game. URBAN TERROR. No windows please, might get you sniped.

Orlsend
September 8th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Suff Like Photoshop keeps me dragging windows...

ozarkhollar
September 8th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I don't do Windows for over a year now.

I am still tech support for the wife, however. XP locking up regularly for her.

I have some radio programming software that will work in WINE, but it will not properly render the text input blocks. That alone has me considering trying to do some dual boot again. But, that appears impossible since the distros are so pointed toward installing over M$, instead of the other way around. Probably should just look in the dump for an old 98 machine!

Kubuntu 8.04 and proud!

cozmicharlie
September 8th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Unlike many people that have commented I don't mind XP - in fact their are a number of things that I really like about it. However, I was tired of all the security crap I had to install and maintain and all the lock ups and crashes I would get after running XP for a while (I was reinstalling fairly frequently).

I finally made the complete switch about a month ago. I have 3 computers at home (a server, a dedicated bittorrent server and a laptop I use for work). The only computer I had XP still running on was the laptop because I needed MSOffice for work. I finally bit the bullet and purchased Crossover because it had better support for MSOffice programs than Wine and the price IMHO was very reasonable for what you get. It is still a bit quirky but it works for the most part and if their is something that it does not do I have Virtual Box set up with XP as a backup.

Once I got Crossover to work, the last item keeping me from completely switching was using a broadband card. I have a Sprint U727 that I just could not get to work in Ubuntu (yes - I tried all the tutorials on the forums). Fortunately, the latest kernel has much better support and my Sprint U727 works fine now in Hardy.

I was finally able to completely switch and I really don't miss XP at all- I have Virtual Box installed with XP just in case but I have not used it for months. I am not a big gamer so I don't need Windows for gaming. However, I do use my computers extensively for multimedia and I find the packages in Ubuntu work great and setting up file sharing, multimedia streaming, transcoding etc is a breeze in Ubuntu.

I really believe Linux has turned the corner and is a viable alternative to Windows.

Pery Irawan
September 9th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Plus is:
I completely switch to Ubuntu 8.0.4, before i use Win XP in my Toshiba Tecra 2100 for Office productivity i have no big problem switching from M$ Office to Open Office & Outlook Express switch to Thunderbird..:)

Minus is:
I still not succeed install my Onboard Graphic card "Geforce 420Go" it means no visual effect on my "Appearance" even i already following other person suggestion in this forum.
I still don't know how to synchronize my Nokia N70 to Thunderbird Address Book

Aghast
September 9th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Me too. Something about a seven or eight months i live without windows at all. So now i have an ubuntu box at home and mandriva at work. I'm happy.

janberk
September 9th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Count me too. For more than a year I haven't used Windows. A month ago I installed XP on virtual machine for using a licensed software for XP. Other than that I didn't need it.

Ubuntu rocks!

augoldfinger
September 9th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I have 5 computers I use for my business. 1 has Windows, because I have special software that I use for CD-ROM replication. There is not another version of this software available from the manufacture, only a Windows version.

I have Ubuntu & DesktopBSD on the others. I have got to say that DesktopBSD is a little easier to use then Ubuntu, but I found it a little sooner then Ubuntu, so maybe that's why.

I use several Windows programs through Wine, & Crossover.

If it were not for Ubuntu Christian Edition I may never have tried it, So thanks Jeremy!

tarahmarie
September 10th, 2008, 01:31 AM
I'm converted. Being told that XP would no longer be supported made me look for options, and Windows Vista is a load of unconfigurable, driverless (and they complain about LINUX driverlessness???), insecure, DRMed, and NOT-idiot-proof crapware. If I needed to know anything more I would look at the reception of Spore this week. Treat me like a criminal if I use your OS, and I'll switch.

I'm thrilled with the ease of use and utterly cool eye candy of KDE4 and compiz-fusion. I love the partitioning system that makes *NIX so easy to use and switch; I've tried seven or eight distros and am adoring Kubuntu Hardy Heron. I took a deep breath, backed my stuff up, and went all the way a month ago, expecting a rudimentary GUI and little to no device support. I had NO IDEA how COOL this stuff was!! I LOVE WIDGETS!

harbdog
September 10th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I only have one machine remaining with WinXP and its only purpose is to play games. Both of my work machines and my home laptop for web surfing are 100% Ubuntu.

However on both of my work machines I still have a WinXP Virtual Machine solely for the purpose of Netmeeting for desktop sharing, which is used only a few times a month. If only Ekiga started supporting desktop sharing when connected to a netmeeting conference...

[z]er0 HP
September 11th, 2008, 10:28 AM
My personal computer runs only ubuntu. I use it for everything. Don't miss the games and being in VCE it's probably a good thing. I get frustrated constantly having to fix family and friends windows machines (getting rid of viruses/spyware, fixing bluescreens, driver conflicts etc etc) all that makes me cringe. I swear thought that as soon as someone else touches my computer something breaks. I left my computer on the othe day and it was playing music so instead of turning the speakers off they kicked the power plug. 3-4 hours later after fixing i got X back up an running. :S Some people.....

smartdude1982
September 11th, 2008, 01:02 PM
From feb 2008, my computer runs only on ubuntu... Initially, i was bit uncomfortable (had lot of fun)... And games, i play them in my playstation...

mihai.ile
September 11th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I use ubuntu for about... wow it passed 4 years already without the need of windows (since I entered at the university don't have much time to play games)...
The only times I use windows is when I test the webdesigns I make, in virtual box and to update my tomtom.

But last week I started working so here they have Windows, I need to see if I can talk to the administration to see whether I can dual boot Ubuntu on my machine or not, they use java anyway, none of .net stuff

If you want to try something funny and it's not a game try the application I made in my spare time with my girlfriend:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=916652

lakersforce
September 11th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Suff Like Photoshop keeps me dragging windows...

Why? (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2631)

presence1960
September 12th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I installed Ubuntu about 6 weeks ago and was amazed at how I can spend my time doing what I need to do instead of "messing" with Windows. I liked it so much I reformatted both my drives and went with Linux. I am back to being a beginner again, but with the documentation and the great help in these forums I have had an easy time so far. The attitude of everyone in here lends itself to achievement for everyone.

Unfortunately in work I was given responsibility in which I need to create .pdf files. I have Adobe Acrobat Professional and tried running it in wine but was unsuccessful. So I had to put Vista on my 2nd hard drive with Adobe Acrobat Pro. The only time I use Windows is when I take some work home with me. I just wish I had the guts to take this leap a long time ago. I now waste no time when I do stuff on my machine, and this leaves me more time to spend learning Linux. Thanks everyone for making my transition away from Windows gentle.

broken tibula
September 12th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I'm running Wubi. Would love to destroy the Vista that is eating my harddrive alive, but unfortunately, my printer isn't Linux-compatible (although I think it's broken, so that may change), and I can't for the life of me get Photoshop installed through WINE. I'm going to try again soon.

If I could get a Linux-compatible printer and have Photoshop up and running on Unbuntu, Vista would be gone before you could say "User Account Control".

MaxIBoy
September 12th, 2008, 03:45 AM
I haven't touched a Microsoft product for weeks now. :)

erivera6
September 12th, 2008, 04:12 AM
I have switched 1 of my computers to Linux only (Dell Inspiron E1505). Another is a dual boot XP/Linux (HP pavilion 510c). The rest are Windows (IBM T20 - doesn't play well w/Linux; and an AMD x2 64 bit system I use XP Pro 64-bit on). The dual boot is the best way to go if you want to try Linux without giving up Windows usability. I did it by

1. DBAN - wipe HDD
2. use Windows XP install cd to set up partitions - leave 3rd partition as RAW.
1.part. 1 - XP
2.part. 2 - data (xp)
3.part. 3 - Linux

when installing Linux/Ubuntu select ext3 filesystem.

btw - Ubuntu/Linux can open most of your NTFS/fat32 files.

Hope this helps

Ernesto

MaxIBoy
September 12th, 2008, 04:16 AM
I installed Ubuntu about 6 weeks ago and was amazed at how I can spend my time doing what I need to do instead of "messing" with Windows. I liked it so much I reformatted both my drives and went with Linux. I am back to being a beginner again, but with the documentation and the great help in these forums I have had an easy time so far. The attitude of everyone in here lends itself to achievement for everyone.

Unfortunately in work I was given responsibility in which I need to create .pdf files. I have Adobe Acrobat Professional and tried running it in wine but was unsuccessful. So I had to put Vista on my 2nd hard drive with Adobe Acrobat Pro. The only time I use Windows is when I take some work home with me. I just wish I had the guts to take this leap a long time ago. I now waste no time when I do stuff on my machine, and this leaves me more time to spend learning Linux. Thanks everyone for making my transition away from Windows gentle.

OpenOffice can export .pdf files. Try making them in HTML using something like Seamonkey Composer, open that with OpenOffice, and exporting as a .pdf. If just might work.

dynacrylic
September 13th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Not me. I was very close to 100% switching to linux. Here's my break down since I first was introduced to linux:

1999:
windows: 99.9%
linux: .1%

2002:
windows 98%
linux: 2%

2004:
windows: 95%
linux: 5%

2005 (beginning)
windows: 98%
linux: 2%

2005 (mid)
windows: 75%
linux: 25%

2005 (end)
windows: 40%
linux: 60%

2006:
windows: 25%
linux: 75%

2007 (mid):
windows: 1%
linux: 99%

2007 (end):
linux: 50%
Mac OS X: 49%

2008:
linux: 9%
Mac OS X: 90%

I only use windows now to play Day of Defeat. i do everything on my Macbook. I use linux for multimedia "stuff", file servers and testing open source applications (LAMP/LAPP).

Probably more than you wanted to know. If it weren't for that damn game I would have no need for windows. At least I finally kicked the Diablo II habit.

I would say once I get "a life" (similar to the type of life that is described in Korn's Got the Life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPdoqWXAXHo)), I'll be 91% Mac and 9% linux, but 100% completely windows free.

RiMTrO
September 13th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I completely moved to ubuntu a month ago and no regrets about it. Even that i am a newbe with linux the best part is the continuous learning about it. Sincerely got bored with windows how ever still depend on it (another machine) but hopping to learn more about wine and run win applications in ubuntu.

jngoi
September 13th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Same here, switched to Ubuntu about 3 months ago thanks to the thought of having to get costly upgrades for Vista. I discovered that I had options and the Linux option is one that I definitely like. I run Ubuntu ( primary OS), Mandriva and DSL. I still have an xp in a SDHC card I keep around for those times that I might need YM's cam when yakkin in the chat room and my bro. I wish I could do that in Ubuntu.

pi.boy.travis
September 13th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I just deleted my Vista partition after it refused to boot. It told me that there was some issue with startup files and I would have to reinstall. Yeah. . . right. . . Now there is no speck of Microsoft on any of my computers. YAY!!!

pherber12
September 14th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I've been back and forth from Windows and Linux. I've got Ubuntu on my laptop which is my primary computer and Windows on my PC so I can still play Sims 2 and do a couple other things I haven't figured out on Linux yet :)

matrix14
September 14th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Since over two years I use two OS's: Debian and Windows XP.
I use Debian for my HTTP server and Windows XP for my desktop.
But just about two weeks ago, I switch at all to GNU/Linux.
My server still running Debian and now my desktop running Xubuntu 8.04.1...

Why I completely switch to Linux?

I am really boring about Windows in case too many security problems. Using Windows seem put me in the field of "war of world 2", as I know that WIN32 environment seem like the field of virus experimental.
I always worry wheen using Windows to my recent office works and any other documents from damaged by the newest virus and etc...

zapree
September 17th, 2008, 01:19 AM
The day that i joined the forums is the day that i quit windows XD... i was fed up with some of windows programs and copyright ****, along with having to pay for every tiny little accessory for outrageous amounts of money. Right now i am having a few problems but way fewer than when i first started (obviously) but jumping right out of windows and straight into linux was hard :P, if i hadnt reformated the hard drive with windows on it i might have gone back out of pure frustration, but now im loving it.

SirSigma
September 17th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I wish I could completely jump, but I'm hooked on Sony Vegas for making my YouTube videos (I just can't use Kino; once you use Sony Vegas, you just can't go to anything else) and I run Windows Mobile on my Sprint cell phone/PDA.

SAKeeler
September 17th, 2008, 03:29 AM
i made the complete switch about 2 weeks ago. i just got tired of dealing with windows media center, bloated anti-virus software(im looking at you AVG), anti-spyware programs that border on spyware themselves, the constant hassle of broken driver, out-dated software that must be hunted down individually to update, i could probably go on further but most here know what i'm saying.

life is much easier now, i have Ubuntu Satanic Edition on my old 40 gig OS drive, my 160 gig media drive is retasked for my /home folder, and i have a 500 gig Freenas share mounted via NFS for ISO, music, video, and doc storage, prolly add another 500 gig for a backup location in the future,

i must admit i still have win2k installed in a virtualbox vm, my lexmark printer isn't supported under linux so i have to make that one compromise. when it bites the dust however, i'll get one that has native support and blow off Microsoft entirely.

well, thats my story, such as it is..

/eol

mb-editor
September 17th, 2008, 05:07 AM
I still have a dual-install, both at home and at the office, but my usage is minimal. At home, its mainly because of my kids who love to play all the games demos that come with my copy of 'Digit'. I tried installing them under Wine, but most games didn't. In office, its because I still haven't been able to figure out how to OCR documents on my HP 5590 scanner! So I use the HP Director software in Windows.

Other than that, its Ubuntu all the way

grep65535
September 17th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I was 100% windows until about summer of 2005 when my boss handed me a Fedora Core 4 DVD and said go for it. Linux beat me up for about 2 weeks straight while I got all my windows needs straightened out and found alternatives and learned the curve of linux.

Been loving it ever since. At first I worked to get games working and played a bunch of UT2004, but since the switch gaming has been few and far in between because there's just so much more to learn. I felt like with Windows I'd done every form of tweaking possible and it became boring, and spyware protection and avoidance was getting out of control.

Now three years into it I've never had windows on my main comp. I still use Windows on one computer for testing out apps, working with Wine/Cedega/Crossover, and DVD ripping (straight to my samba share ;-)). I try to convert people to Linux whenever I get the slightest chance....

I hate toon-town because it's the only reason my family won't switch! ](*,) ](*,)

Now all the jobs I'm looking at in my area talk about Windows Server, ADS, *windows* terminal services, windows windows windows... I know how to work'm, but damnit why do i have to ... #-o

eggplant37
September 18th, 2008, 12:26 AM
For a while, from about 1999 to 2004, I found myself very well and able to survive completely without a Windows install. However, in 2004, I was laid off from the PC tech job I was holding down, went back to school and got my degree in Linux OS administration, and then ended up working in online medical transcription to pay the bills working from home while going to school.

I'd still be completely free of Windows, but for the proprietary, MS Word-based program that we use in the medical transcription business. Still, I currently run Ubuntu Hardy on my main machine. I used VMWare Converter to move the Win XP OS from my old laptop to a VMWare partition on the Linux laptop. I run both XP and Ubuntu Hardy at the same time on the same hardware. I use Evolution on Ubuntu for email between workmates, Pidgin on Ubuntu as IM client (and turned on everyone at work to it, since we've people using multiple IM services,) and OpenOffice.org on Ubuntu to manipulate most of the documents related to our company.

In the VMware XP instance, I run only the proprietary transcription software. It recognizes the USB serial port for my foot pedal and the Logitech USB headphone adapter very well and uses those to control/play the transcription audio, while audio generated from Pidgin and Firefox w/flash apps stays on the laptop external speakers. Besides, if that XP install got somehow compromised by viruses, it could end up being a very costly HIPAA violation, so don't think I'm just overly paranoid about my information security for the fun of it. I have to be.

In my spare time, I enjoy PC gaming and abuse World of Warcraft quite a bit, which runs on this laptop equipped with a Radeon chipset like a champ via Wine.

So, I've adapted to working well for the last 4 years with minimal use of non-free software. If it weren't for these mission critical apps on Windows that work forces me to use, I'd be well able to work without it. If only the rest of the world would wake up and smell the penguins!

Peter Frank
September 18th, 2008, 02:15 AM
I deleted the Windows partition but regularly uses VirtualBox to run XP, only for using Live Messenger... The FOSS MSN alternatives never catch up with the evolving MSN protocol and usually lack voice chatting feature.

kaivar
September 18th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I still have Vista... as long as my notebook is still under warranty.:lolflag:

irrdev
September 18th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I started using Linux almost 5 years ago. I kept using Windows XP until last year, however, when the system completely crashed on me. Since then I use Ubuntu entirely, with occasional excursions into openSUSE, Linux Mint, Knoppix and Fedora. :grin:

Bear
September 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Still here. 100% Ubuntu. 8-)

tommygunner
September 19th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I don't use linux exclusively because my new PC came with Windows and I had no choice. The price for the new dual core PC was much lower than if I built it myself so it just makes sense to use Windows.

However when my computer gets older if Ubuntu improves further I may decide to switch to Ubuntu exclusively.

sTpny
September 20th, 2008, 12:46 AM
I use Linux exclusively. I use to be a big Windows fan, but I converted last year and I'm so happy that I did. With Windows, I was constantly scanning or rebooting, and it took forever to get anything done, but now, my conputer never really breaks down. Sure, sometimes an upgrade will mess something up, but the fix is usually easy, or simply a matter of waiting for the next upgrade. With windows, I was reinstalling at least once every year, and I lost 2 hard drives, 1 monitor, and one entire computer to virus' over the years. I also once got an autodialer, which added about $800 to my phone bill before I found and eliminated the culprit.

Now, I only reinstall when I want to, and my computer only ever does what I want it to. When I do reinstall, it's a quick, easy, painless process, and because I keep my home folder in its own partition, I never lose my own personal data.

What I actually found hardest about switching completely to Linux is finding the software to do what I want, and I think it would be great if there were a program or website which would list the pros and cons of Linux alternatives to popular Windows based software.

ericdsr
September 20th, 2008, 02:16 AM
I work in IT tech support where I'm forced to use windows but at home it's Hardy 64 bit 99% of the time. I'll boot windows for the rare occasion when there's time for the latest game...

mwalimu54
September 20th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I went cold-turkey this week. I was going to dual boot with xp, but I accidentally screwed my xp install so here I am in ubuntu and basically happy with it.

mike1234
September 20th, 2008, 03:02 AM
I wish I could move all the way to Linux. I would give up my CS Source addiction if I didn't need windows for one thing: DVD Shrink. I haven't found anything on
Linux that is close, and I haven't found a way for it to work in Wine/Crossover. Soon as DVD copying is automated in Linux like it is in Windows, I'll burn that partition.

DVD shrink works fine for me. 8.04, nvidia, using regular wine. I also like vobcopy -m. Never met an encrypted DVD I didn't like! :)

M.

ingeva
September 20th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I use Linux exclusively. I use to be a big Windows fan, but I converted last year and I'm so happy that I did.

If you had to reinstall once a year, you've been VERY lucky. I would be happy if I needed to reinstall Windows less than once a month.

With Linux, if I needed to do a reinstall it would be done in less than an hour, with upgrades and all. With Windows it took more than a whole day so it had to be planned (unless it was an emergency).

Programs for Linux are fairly easy to find. Use the forum, and use sourceforge.net, and of course, use the search engines.
The programs that I have found for Linux go in circles around VERY expensive Windows programs that don't even work properly. I'll just mention Ubuntustudio!
Openoffice could need some improvement, but when I consider what I get for my money there's no question what I prefer.... :)

After 2 months of using Ubuntu, I know one thing: When I buy my next computer I'll check it with Ubuntu before I buy! Goodbye XP! Goodbye Vista!

vcxcz
September 20th, 2008, 07:46 AM
My main box has been exclusively Ubuntu for a year and a half now. I still used windows xp on my work notebook because I commute between four workplaces and didn't want to deal with setting up and maintaining the printers(particularly because they are all in Japanese).
Then last week I turned it on to find the the ever lovely BSOD staring back at me. Apparently something had corrupted my MBR. This was the last straw for me. So I booted up with my ever-handy puppy live cd, backed up my data and wiped windows from my life once and for all! :guitar:

coderand
September 20th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I started using Linux when Ubuntu 7.04 was the latest thing, dual booting with Windoze eXtreme Psychosis.

Using Windoze felt like being trapped inside a box that could implode in on me at any moment... but with Ubuntu I feel more like I'm part of a vast universe that has no boundaries...

I am happy to say I'm now using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS for all my computing needs. No more Windoze! Woo! hoo! \\:D/

(Obviously I'm not a gamer. If I were, I'd probably still be using Windoze... :( )

Peter Frank
September 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by ingeva
With Linux, if I needed to do a reinstall it would be done in less than an hour, with upgrades and all. With Windows it took more than a whole day so it had to be planned (unless it was an emergency).

Why is everyone saying this? I don't know about Windows 9x, but it takes me only 30-40 minutes to do a fresh install of Windows XP. Also I keep all the necessary Windows drivers (ethernet,webcam etc.) in my USB, and it takes me less than 2 hours to reinstall them one by one.

Having said that, I use Ubuntu 95% of the time. It comes with more features than XP, but I admit having more problems (and sorted out more problems) than in XP. Vista is just intolerable.

ThymeTraveler
September 20th, 2008, 07:54 PM
A month ago I completely wiped out VISTA and installed Kubuntu 8.04. I DO NOT MISS THE DAILY BLUE SCREEN EXPERIENCE! :)

Today is the first time I have had my desktop freeze up (actually three times!) and could not get out of it. Had to just power off (control - alt - backspace did not work, nor ALT-F2). Today I used my new wireless USB device and Kubuntu recognized it and it worked (for a little while). So I suspect I need to do some tweaking somewhere. In the process I lost access to my external drive.

But I figure this is just getting 'up and running' and that once the dust settles, I will be stable. I have more confidence with Kubuntu than I had for the year with VISTA.

Corfy
September 20th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Why is everyone saying this? I don't know about Windows 9x, but it takes me only 30-40 minutes to do a fresh install of Windows XP. Also I keep all the necessary Windows drivers (ethernet,webcam etc.) in my USB, and it takes me less than 2 hours to reinstall them one by one.

Well, sure, but with XP, you are far from done at that point.

Then you have to download the updates (which requires a restart), and then download the updates to the updates (which requires another restart), and then download the updates to the updated updates (which requires yet another restart). And don't forget the antivirus, anti-adware, anti-spyware, and firewall programs.

Just getting that far takes me three and a half hours (XP install, drivers, updates, and "security" programs).

And after all of that, you have no real programs installed, outside of Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, Notepad, and Solitaire. So you have to start installing all of the the programs that you actually use (office programs, photo editing, etc.)

I always assume a complete reinstall of Windows will take at least five hours. And in the few dozen times I have done it on various computers, I have never been very far off in that estimate.

On the other hand, with Ubuntu, it only takes less than two hours to go from an empty harddrive to having all the programs I want installed with all the updates.

coderand
September 20th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I have to agree with the above reply by Corfy. That is exactly the same experience I had using XP. And having to do that many times a year drove me nuts. Ubuntu takes me a fraction of the time to install everything I need as opposed to what XP took.

tarahmarie
September 21st, 2008, 03:58 AM
Heck, yeah. I just reinstalled Kubuntu tonight; it took me one dishwasher load to be back up and running. I will NEVER miss the two days a year I lost reinstalling Windows.

beerguzzler
September 23rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
I stated earlier that I dual boot with Ubuntu as my main and XP for Photoshop. I need the actions command and tbh I just like PS better than GIMP. Things have changed a little now. I now use a virtual xp session for photoshop.

However, I have put Vista on a separate partition and use this to play any HD files. I simply cannot get the ATI card to work as well as it does in Windows. When playing a HD video, there will be a very brief single line flicker approx every minute, ok not the end of the world but still annoying. Hopefully one day the ATI drivers will be good enough for me to bin the windows partition, but until then I'll have to stick with Vista.

dantakeoff
September 23rd, 2008, 01:44 PM
i know jack about linux but made the switch anyway after curiosity got the better of me, i still dont know how to do much, i almost never use the terminal, but even my office is running ubuntu, and it wasnt difficult to do really, a few fone calls to some linux fundy freinds, and hey presto. and once i get virtualbox up and running on xubuntu, what kind of OS i have will be a moot point cause ill be running a few, so when i can run one OS inside another, does that count...? otherwise its linux all the way, its getting easier and easier for ignoramuses like myself to navigate, the GUI in ubuntu is easier for noobies than xp even my girlfreind digs it...

dchurch24
September 23rd, 2008, 04:08 PM

Having said that, I use Ubuntu 95% of the time. It comes with more features than XP, but I admit having more problems (and sorted out more problems) than in XP. Vista is just intolerable.

I think you have answered your own question, with all due respect.

I, reluctantly, had to install XP on my laptop the other day in place of Ubuntu -I had bought a very obscure piece of hardware from some Chinese firm, and while Ubuntu recognised it when it was plugged in, there were simply no drivers available (I may be a geek and a programmer, but installing XP was still quicker than writing drivers myself for an unknown chipset!!). The device came only with a CD for Windows. It wouldn't work using WINE sadly, so there was no option.

I inserted the XP disc, then rebooted after the first BSoD and finally we were on our way.
About 1 hour 15 minutes later I was using Windows. I installed the device drivers, rebooted after the second BSoD then I got the device working.

I did NOT update any service packs, nor did I worry about trying to get the network card working. Or the on-board sound. All of these things would have taken time, and also, more often than not, would not have worked without having to do some messing around.

It's not the installing Windows that takes the time, it's the thousands up updates and security things and the subsiquent reboots in between each one.

Installing Ubuntu is far, far easier. I had an old Dell I intended to give the kids. Windows wouldn't see the on-board network card.

Installed Xubuntu - guess what. On the network within minutes. Then did an update and viola! Away we were.

I agree, that with a reasonable machine it need not take all day to install Windows, but it certainly takes considerably longer than any Ubuntu derivitive.

Incidently, the device I needed to install was an analogue to digital audio/visual converter. Once I've converted all my analogue Hi-8 tapes to MPG then Ubuntu is going straight back where it belongs!

dchurch24
September 23rd, 2008, 04:17 PM
I stated earlier that I dual boot with Ubuntu as my main and XP for Photoshop. I need the actions command and tbh I just like PS better than GIMP. Things have changed a little now. I now use a virtual xp session for photoshop.

However, I have put Vista on a separate partition and use this to play any HD files. I simply cannot get the ATI card to work as well as it does in Windows. When playing a HD video, there will be a very brief single line flicker approx every minute, ok not the end of the world but still annoying. Hopefully one day the ATI drivers will be good enough for me to bin the windows partition, but until then I'll have to stick with Vista.

I feel for you, honestly. I used to prefer PS over GIMP, I even installed GimpShop, but in the end, I figured pure perseverance would do it - and it did, now I struggle to find things in Photoshop whereas it used to be the other way around (no CMYK support in GIMP though which is a factor in a professional environment).

It might be worth buying an NVidia card for your box - it need not be an expensive one, but it must be worth it if it means you don't have to use Vista.

The only thing I miss about Windows is using Sony Vegas. What a nice bit of software! Kino is nice, but not really close to Vegas.

Still, I didn't use it all that much!

trestamanos
September 23rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
i use ubuntu for 95% of the computer work i do. Excluding quicken everything else i do is using Linux.

dark joev
September 23rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
I have completely switched to Ubuntu. I like to play games but I am now into making my own games so I don't miss gaming on windows

beerguzzler
September 23rd, 2008, 10:00 PM
I feel for you, honestly. I used to prefer PS over GIMP, I even installed GimpShop, but in the end, I figured pure perseverance would do it - and it did, now I struggle to find things in Photoshop whereas it used to be the other way around (no CMYK support in GIMP though which is a factor in a professional environment).

It might be worth buying an NVidia card for your box - it need not be an expensive one, but it must be worth it if it means you don't have to use Vista.

The only thing I miss about Windows is using Sony Vegas. What a nice bit of software! Kino is nice, but not really close to Vegas.

Still, I didn't use it all that much!

Yeah I will end up buying another card at some point and then bye bye Vista. tbh I only installed Vista to see how it looked - thank goodness I don't have to use it as my main OS!! I'll still keep XP on the virtualbox. Maybe also one day GIMP will have the Actions feature that PS does and then I can be Windows free.

kaldor
September 23rd, 2008, 10:40 PM
My laptop is pure Linux.

I used to have PClinuxOS and Ubuntu dualboot.

I cleared PClinuxOS off due to unsupported wireless hardware. Currently I run only Ubuntu.

rpov
September 23rd, 2008, 11:41 PM
When I first made 'the switch' to linux about 12 months ago I was almost positive that I would never be able to give up on Windows. However, shortly thereafter I found myself reformatting my computer and choosing NOT to install XP. I have been running strictly with Ubuntu ever since. Although it has given me some problems, I find it fun to try to solve the problems on my own.

eeeandrew
September 24th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I did it on Monday! Was debating whether to remove my dual boot with that pathetic excuse for software known as vista. My mind was made up when I checked my login log on windows and found I hadn't used it for over 5 months! It was very satisfying to click the "delete partition" button in GParted; in fact it was so satisfying I might reinstall windows so I can delete it again.

concord
September 24th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I use GNU/Linux exclusively for personal use. Been using GNU/Linux since 1997. We've come a long way baby!

niccholaspage
September 24th, 2008, 03:29 AM
I agree, that with a reasonable machine it need not take all day to install Windows, but it certainly takes considerably longer than any Ubuntu derivitive.
Windows Server 2008 Standard edition took 5 minutes to install. There is no wizard after the install that takes a lot of minutes.

rfruth
September 24th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Ubuntu works for me and its free (freedom also)!

dchurch24
September 24th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Windows Server 2008 Standard edition took 5 minutes to install. There is no wizard after the install that takes a lot of minutes.

I haven't installed 2008, but I have 2003 on many occasions, and I can say with confidence that to get the equivalent of a LAMP server set up takes a hell of a lot longer with 2003 than Debian et al.

madsmaddad
September 24th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Not quite MS free. I still need it for my scanner. 95% of the time I boot Kubuntu.

The other thing that I sometimes need it for is (shudder) Word- the formatting is not the same in OpenOffice.

thejort
September 24th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I installed ubuntu in my 2004 model laptop computer and all are working just fine without the hassle of finding hardware drivers. Actually, I was amazed for that. Now, I advertise ubuntu in my colleagues and sad to say they never heard this name before but I'm here to show them the beautiful features of ubuntu.... FREEEEEDOOOOMMMMMM.....

And for windows? GOODBYE...

cherva
September 24th, 2008, 09:27 AM
It is very easy to switch to ubuntu after you remove windows. When you are stick to something you don't know you are forced to learn it and not just reboot and use windows :) And the games are not so essential part. I choosed to learn about computers instead of gaming and the fun starts there :)

Yali
September 24th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I have been using Ubuntu for the last three months, dual boot with XP for two. Got rid of MS one month ago, don't miss it one bit.:lolflag:

pi.boy.travis
September 25th, 2008, 03:43 AM
I am now officially 100% M$ free! I got rid of all traces of Windows on my machine, virtual machines and everything. I'm formating my external HDD to ext3 now.

AaronMT
September 25th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Visual Studio 2008
Microsoft Office 2007

Those are the reasons I cant drop Windows.

OpenOffice Writer doesn't cut it.

croucho
September 25th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Go for it bro, I took the plunge recently as well. Once I got WOW running with win (other use cedega), that was all it took.

david_lynch
September 25th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Not quite MS free. I still need it for my scanner. 95% of the time I boot Kubuntu.

The other thing that I sometimes need it for is (shudder) Word- the formatting is not the same in OpenOffice.

I'd buy a new scanner if my current one required me to boot to windoze to use it. And for that word problem, ms office works great in wine.

david_lynch
September 25th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Visual Studio 2008
Microsoft Office 2007

Those are the reasons I cant drop Windows.

OpenOffice Writer doesn't cut it.
Lots of people disagree with you on open office. But even if there is some specific ms word behaviour that you need, you can run ms office in wine.

Dunno about visual studio, but in my Comp Sci classes at the university (graduated in 2006 with highest honors), my main programming tools were vi, gcc and gdb - and I programmed circles around my classmates who were using ms visual whatever.

I use only linux these days, except for the occasional OSX usage - because IMHO windoze just doesn't cut it.:guitar:

feynmandiagram
September 25th, 2008, 07:42 AM
100% xubuntu(-server) 8.04.1 @home
100% Win2003/WinXP/WinVista @office

Actually I am working as programmer and it's some kind of sarcasm of the world that I code on *nix in free time and for and on win32 at my office. :confused:

However there are some things I really miss with linux:

- Good accounting software (I don't mean that 'personal' stuff)
- _good_ hardware-drivers especially for laptops.
- A good filemanager. gnomecommander is nice, but misses some points it's win32-equivalents provide. But I'll add these in future maybe...

...but compared to 5 years ago, the Linux now is GREAT :)
...and compared to 5 years ago, the Win64 now is a **** :guitar:

nnamdi
September 25th, 2008, 08:58 AM
i got jailed breaked in november last year, i wish i had used linux from the on set

miguelastico
September 25th, 2008, 03:57 PM
the laptops are mac and ubuntu, and the desktop in the office is ubuntu, as well
I am windows free completely since april, 2007
coding and browsing, as well as music, Ubuntu is great.
Unfortunately sometimes I enjoy having dual monitor, and I still didn't figure out how to configure bigdesktop on my acer (please don't point me to the "correct" thread, I have been through that millions of times), so I go to the Mac.

dchurch24
September 25th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I use MS Visual Studio 2008 at work - I agree, it really is a good product.

At home I use Python (which comes in handy form XBMC as well) et al, PHP/MySQL for web stuff and sometimes MONO just to see how it's progressing.

I used to use VS at home too in my bad old Windows days, but I do find the Visual editor a little lazy from time to time.

S0VERE1GN
September 25th, 2008, 06:29 PM
This here computer is linux exclusive, soon to be an apache server for m website's business, but my new compy comign in the mail will be vista dual boot (wanna play games, sorry :()

S0VERE1GN
September 25th, 2008, 06:29 PM
This here computer is linux exclusive, soon to be an apache server for my website's business, but my new compy comign in the mail will be vista dual boot (wanna play games, sorry :()

culmore
September 25th, 2008, 07:18 PM
At the moment Josphine on the laptop and me on the server are 99% of the time in Ubuntu. I do much prefer Linux, it is lighter faster, no viruses and somehow xp just seems to get slower and slower.

I am a programmer myself, at college I used to hate linux. Why the hell do I need to remember "lpq" when they could have made the command "print". But I have gotten over that now and I must say I do enjoy the Unix command line.

YES that is it I really enjoy Linux!

frumple
September 25th, 2008, 11:01 PM
That's my third day in my almost perfect full Linux migration.

For years I had dual boot on my machines and a Linux server at home, the major problem in order to let Windows go completely relied on a bunch of engineering softwares, among them SolidWorks.

That the cause of the imperfection mentioned before, I need to run SolidWorks, MatLab, Labview, Maple, etc to work. The first one only works on windows, so I using a virtual machine for it (waiting anxiously for VMWare 6.5 with unite), the other were only available through the University licensing program in windows versions. So I grabed a copy of their Linux CDs and used my licenses, and they just worked. Actually for those softwares the license doesn't care which OS are you using.

The minor problem was that I need all in my laptop, an Asus A8Js, but thanks to a lot of good people all my questions were already answered! Twinview, dynamic display changes, sleep, hibernation, optimizations, ... Everything working, some out of the box actually.

So, in order to share the knowledge I created a blog that will focus on engineering applications on Linux and notebook setup.

I still have my windows XP partition and plan to keep it as a testing platform and safe port, just in case I mess something up. But one thing I can say, I haven't have this fun using my PC in a long time :D

[]'s
Frumple

jal111
September 25th, 2008, 11:25 PM
useing ubuntu 8.04 will never use micro$ofts xp,vi$ta.got sicken tired of spyware and antivirus programs very expensive and dont work.i love linux. window$ xp and vista are trash.

david_lynch
September 26th, 2008, 12:28 AM
This here computer is linux exclusive, soon to be an apache server for m website's business, but my new compy comign in the mail will be vista dual boot (wanna play games, sorry :()Eh? a vista peecee for games? meh. I play a lot of games, but I don't do windoze - that's one game I have no time for (too boring and tedious, LOL) I'd rather play quake, alien arena, ut2004, enemy territory, etc instead.

:lolflag:

booksbuggy
September 28th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I use windows as a backup to the file system in case the Ubuntu updates decides to screw up the system again.......................:tongue:

Cool Surfer
September 28th, 2008, 09:08 PM
This time it looks like serious me ...
I never felt the need to reboot into windows for any reason.
Just for my powerpoint presentations I had to goto windows to revise.
Otherwise I have been on ubuntu for > 1month. I think thats good :)

:guitar::guitar::guitar:

Cool Surfer
September 28th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I use windows as a backup to the file system in case the Ubuntu updates decides to screw up the system again.......................:tongue:

I use ubuntu or knoppix boot cd or erd commander 2006 cd to finish off my urgent work
when my system fails to boot into windows or linux or both.

spongedaddy
September 28th, 2008, 09:16 PM
In my house we have three PCs on my wireless network: 1 ubuntu 8.04, 1 xubuntu 8.04, and 1 windows xp pro.

The 2 *buntus by far get the most use (xubuntu being my personal fave). The xp hangs around exclusively due to the iTunes/iPod ball and chain.

gogadan
September 28th, 2008, 09:22 PM
i have completely switched and banished windows from my machine.however my finance still windows (she is on dual boot but never boots to Ubuntu :(. ) and our friend and his partner still ties down to windows.so pretty soon my machine will stand out be proud it shall be !!

semisweets
October 4th, 2008, 08:02 AM
The last time I used windows was when I was about 4 years old. \\:D/
The only time that I look at windows is when I am switching someones computer to linux. My family switched and never looked back.

Sleort
October 4th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I use Ubuntu 8.04 exclusively on my laptop (mail, browsing, multimedia, office PC), been doing that for almost a year now, works like a charm :D

I also have a quadcore PC that currently runs winXP for gaming exclusively. In a week though, I will try to get a dual booting with Linux Gentoo going, to see if I can get some serious computing power from those four cores :D

daUbuQ
October 4th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I am still using Vista because in Ubuntu I can't use Blue tooth, my web cam, CDROM and in my office at work. However, I am using Ubuntu for internet surfing and my personal work. Also I am beginner in Ubuntu.

Calmatory
October 4th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Nvm. :( Didn't notice that the thread was TOO old. :p

dragonight12
October 4th, 2008, 06:20 PM
hi im josh ive justswitched from windows to ubuntu 3 days ago

dragonight12
October 4th, 2008, 06:21 PM
hi im josh ive just switched from windows to ubuntu 3 days ago i having lots of free stuff

muyyaQ
October 6th, 2008, 11:01 AM
i`d totaly installed ubuntu 8.04 on this pc. windows cant install due a problem haha. i laugh at my self.

but the problem is many program i usually use, its hard to get workin on linux ubuntu coz my knowledge on this os is limited.

from now, i will hate windows.
Windows is totally out if bill gates retired :P

sorry if my post over off topic :)

Arabiest
October 6th, 2008, 12:20 PM
:(I wish I can, but becuase of the reasons I listed in the below link, I believe I may not be one of Linux loyal customers (even though I wish to be) till it is solved once and for all with clear graphical guide line or with simple text (no linux commands please..its disturbing)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5915961#post5915961

:confused:

nicolito
October 6th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Hi,

Installed Ubuntu 7 over a year and ½ ago since my new puter came with vista preinstalled, and xp was allready anoying me on my old laptop for using up the systemresources....
Needles to say I got hooked preeeety fast. Allthough feisty had a flaw or two I sticked with it. Vista still serves me because comercial solutions tend not to work many times on linux. I tried the wine solution, but it was to unstable and full of flaws and it does not give you the same feeling as using the ap in windows - unfortunately :(

Thatś the sad thing. The good thing is that allmost ANYTHING can be done with free aps in ubuntu. The only thing I really miss is a substitute for autocad. Been looking high abnd low. Don't exist..... :'(

Anyways, I hardly log on to vista anymore. Niw, everytime I do so it starts updating allmost the whole system because of the time that has past - very slow and annoying compared to the ubuntu style update :)

VIVA UBUNTU and LINUX 4-EVER!!!!!!!!!

P.S. HOARY 8.04 rox---- allmost flawless :)

disastraus
October 8th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Tried different linux os' a few times over the years but hit too many hurdles so gave up each time. However, over a week ago I had to scrap a faulty hdd so rather than go back to vista I thought I'd give Ubuntu a good crack.

I like what I have seen so far despite the fact I keep having dramas syncing my wm6 phone and getting imap to work properly (actually both these issues are really with evolution rather than ubuntu...hmmm).

To all those that made it possible so far THANKS.

I hope to be able to stay a linux user for the long term this time.

sophie27
October 8th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I have both Kubuntu and Vista but I haven't used Vista for 3 months and I don't miss it!

cake_or_death
October 8th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I started using Ubuntu for the first time in January '08 on my Vaio-CR, and now it's on my Acer Aspire One and my desktop pc. Each machine has had different problems with the Ubuntu installations, but the tweaking is fun and educational, and in spite of any difficulties I've had with drivers or hardware or whatever, Ubuntu is WITHOUT QUESTION superior to any Windows system. F--- Microsoft! F--- Apple! Open source is the way to go!

ajzimm3rman
October 8th, 2008, 11:23 AM
\ (So ugly and tacky that it seems to hold your attention - like not being able to look away from a mother scolding her children.)

Nice.

ykcirt
October 8th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I have gone full Ubuntu since August. I used to be a gamer at heart too, but over the years I've become something of a game industry cynic. I still like playing them as much as I did when I was a teenager, but there's just so little left to like.

So rather than getting upset over phonies like Sid Meier, Pete Hines or Peter Molyneux for becoming revered gaming oracles to the press and ruining my favourite pastime, I decided I could leave it alone. Just as well. Games aren't that big a deal for me any more, so there's really no reason for me to keep Windows around. I just wish some of my friends who don't game either could understand that.

EnGorDiaz
October 8th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I have gone full Ubuntu since August. I used to be a gamer at heart too, but over the years I've become something of a game industry cynic. I still like playing them as much as I did when I was a teenager, but there's just so little left to like.

So rather than getting upset over phonies like Sid Meier, Pete Hines or Peter Molyneux for becoming revered gaming oracles to the press and ruining my favourite pastime, I decided I could leave it alone. Just as well. Games aren't that big a deal for me any more, so there's really no reason for me to keep Windows around. I just wish some of my friends who don't game either could understand that.

well my friend i find this game especialy addictive

www.tremulous.net

funky_D
October 8th, 2008, 12:12 PM
hello all!
i used windows/DOS all my life, i'm 27. i changed definetely to ubuntu 3months ago. I use kubuntu at work (with XP on virtualbox, just in case) and at home i use ubuntu. i love ubuntu, it's amazing the freedom you have with k/ubuntu and all the possibilities it provides.
my job is voip networking (cisco.. etc) until now my worst nightmare was the company mail (exchange), but crossover office does its job quite good (office 2007 suite).
i've never touched windows again, thank god!!! well sometimes i ask my colleagues at work (they have XP) to print stuff for me because i have problems with the remote printer...

guys, i am an addicted fan of ubuntu :)
enough of microsoft things, always changing and confusing things.. and oh... i'm MCSE too.. so you can imagine the change was quite big.

go canonical
go ubuntu

hotstepperk
October 8th, 2008, 03:26 PM
im a newbie. i've switched fully to ubuntu 8.04.1. so far, so good. i still use a few windows applications (word, access etc) but its fine, if not better, so far. Get cedega or cross-over games for the windows games, or check outhttp://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php?iCatId=2 for info on how to install games owith wine only. Cheers.

tyk
October 8th, 2008, 04:27 PM
to original question,
me.

capester24
October 8th, 2008, 05:46 PM
i switched over completely 3 months ago

dirty_v
October 8th, 2008, 11:56 PM
so if i only have bubuntu, can i play WoW?

Trizzy
October 10th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Group, I've been clean of windows for over a year! (yay!)

There was no hesitation from me about getting rid of windows. I jumped into linux a year ago for the system security(not sure if ubuntu has it's own security in any way, but i haven't gotten any *ware or viruses on this baby yet), and to generally figure things out. I could sit on a computer all day just fixing things, which is what I often do when working with linux. Not that the system itself is broken in any way, but when I read somewhere that someone can't get <insert game or app. here> to work, I go get it and find a way to use it. This weeks accomplishment was getting Ultima Online to work (and work well!) with the Razor client. I thought it would be cheating, but I installed OSEvirtualbx thinking that would run it easily. Instead I found myself in a mess with my sound video and network cards unusable..I've so far solved the sound and network cards, and hopefully finding my answer to the video card issue today.

So far Ubuntu is awesome!

Kat of Zion
October 10th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Im almost there. Use windows for about 5 applications for work that are windows based. Run XP but in VMWare.

One thing Im trying ot do is replace my GPS unit (it has never been the same since Burning Man) but sadly, the one company that I have fallen in love with still has the unit running on Windows CE. :( Damn you Navigon.

mahirh
October 11th, 2008, 01:35 PM
use wubi and i will not use Ubuntu completely until paint.net ports to Ubuntu

Sonadow
October 11th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I hate to wax negative stuff in a Linux forum, but i have to admit that there are a lot of major kinks which prevent me form actually making the switch.

Some of you may have seen my cries for help in the Beginner's Forums

I grew up in a time where command line was already almost completely unused by the general population when it comes to using a computer. That was the Windows 95 days, where Windows made the GUI so functional that there was almost hardly any need to ever touch the DOS shell.

Naturally, since Windows eliminated the need to tinker around with the command line for general users, i had no incentive to learn how to use it.

Now that i'm trying to experiment with Linux, the heavy relliance on the command line to install just about anything really feels, imho, like a throwback to the computers of a decade back or so.

Many people here blast Windows for not adhering to standards and squeezing out the competition AND charging quite a price for Windows. But, in return for that price, you get automation and convenience. Imho, anybody can just pick up a copy of Windows, install it on a PC, insert hardware driver CDs, Windows handles everything, and you're up and running.

In contrast, when i was (and still am) experimenting Ubuntu, it took me 4 hours to try to get NDISwrapper working, and even after 4 hours, i had no wireless. I tried to download VIA S3 Unichrome drivers for my IGP, which was supposedly supposed to automatically install once extracted and executed ala Windows style, but there were so many problems that i ended up just running sudo displayconfig-gtk and forcing openchrome to output to a larger resolution.

Oh yes, i have like, probably only like 0.000001% knowledge of how to use the command line in Linux.

Therefore, imho, what Linux REALLY needs is more system automation. The new generation of computer users that grew up on Windows 2000 and above are not going to know how to use the BASH shell (i'll bet many from those generation don't even know what a DOS shell is, and they're happilly running Windows Vista on their boxes). To them, installation means 'insert driver CD, auto-install and done', not 'find drivers, fire up Terminal, and start typing away command after command and hope that it works'.

If Linux can evolve to be even more user-centric and move away from the need to do just about anything from the command line, it'll definitely be an OS to beat. Most of the community in here are enthusiasts who would build their own boxers and such, but enthusiasts aren't the mainstream, unfortunately. (I build my own boxes too, fyi.) It's the user who's idea of a computer is something that the family can use to play games, edit movies/photos, get work done quickly without the need to care about what goes on under the hood, that is the mainstream users.

No offense intended, and sincere apologies if any has been caused.

linux_lover69
October 11th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Ubuntu is all I use since I built my computer 4 months ago. I've never thought about switching back to windows ever since.

grungedoobie
October 11th, 2008, 06:30 PM
If I have to have that MS .... (light hearted, right, I'll start over)

If windows is needed to run it, then I don't want it, need it, or have any desire to buy it.

We have all entertained that companies bullying mischievous underhanded monopolizing pile of software hacks at premium for way too long.

Look up the end user agreement at least. When you put windows on your system, you forfeit everything to that company. No thanks, never again.

Linux is a freebie OS put together by people in their spare time and it still handles better, performs better, has NO BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH or UNEXPLAINED SEIZURES EVER, never loses software due to programming deficiencies, doesn't cater/harbor/protect viruses, is not dependent upon virus based software to function.... Shall I continue the list?

Many Many Many thanks to the devoted and dedicated people around the world who have made Linux available to the public. We owe you a debt we could never repay. 8-)

kittywittys
October 11th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I did. I had vista on my laptop but it messed up all the time. I had a ton of problems with it freezing up and not letting certain things work at certain times. so one day I told my boyfriend, who uses arch linux, to put linux on my laptop. So he put ubuntu on it for me. So far I like it a lot more. I am still having some issues, but its more with my video driver. I blame sony for that.

Sponzenbroekske
October 11th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I got vista, cuz I bougth a new laptop, and I need it for school, but I was totally converted to ubuntu a few weeks back and I had a life without worries, and now vista is back and guesse what, the worries came along :(, errormessages :(.

Gamer? maybe look at games that play tru cedega, wine, crossover,... :) Cuz keeping windows to play games is silly :p

ellis rowell
October 12th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Now that i'm trying to experiment with Linux, the heavy relliance on the command line to install just about anything really feels, imho, like a throwback to the computers of a decade back or so.

If you are using Ubuntu then I cannot understand why you think it is heavily reliant on the command line. You must be doing something wrong.

I use Ubuntu v8.04 and very seldom use the command line interface, it is not strange to me as I was introduced to computing with the Sinclair QL, then went on to the Amiga 600 & 1200. Seeing that the only development was going to be with the IBM type PC's, I then switched to Windows 95 followed by 98 & XP, but Vista was a step too far so I switched to Ubuntu v7.04, 7.10 then 8.04. My work is photographic, website management and office work. Linux does this admirably without the aggravation you get from Windows, the developers of which have a tight large monopoly forcing you to BUY anti-virus, anti-spam and anti-spy software. To say nothing of the exorbitant price for Office and Graphics programmes.

It must say something for open source, that the French National Assembly and The Gendarmery are both switching to Linux. The next thing will be schools and universities. May be the unenlightened British Government will then think about changing too, they are always lagging behind.

Sponzenbroekske
October 12th, 2008, 07:19 PM
If you are using Ubuntu then I cannot understand why you think it is heavily reliant on the command line. You must be doing something wrong.

I use Ubuntu v8.04 and very seldom use the command line interface

You can use the console as much as you want, but it is indeed not required, you can perfectly managed without ever touching that.(like windows)
But its so easy to use it (yakuake: drop down terminal), so that you start to prefer using the console to open programs, files or even compile programs.

Thats a part of the freedom of linux, but when people see me going in the console you see them thinking WTF...., but that really overrated, first off all you don't need to use it, second, its easy to use it, we got a huge community with loads and loads of experience.

fabietto0102
October 12th, 2008, 07:26 PM
My main OS is Ubuntu Hardy Heron. I installed amarok, k3b, azureus and vlc to substitute their Gnome counterparties (rhythmbox, brasero, transmission, totem), as unfortunately I don't like them.

I installed Sun Virtualbox (what a great program!) to install WinXp, as unfortunately i need it for both university and work. Probably a geek would have managed to run the programs I need on Ubuntu, but I don't so I guess that was a savvy choice for me.

Sponzenbroekske
October 12th, 2008, 07:30 PM
My main OS is Ubuntu Hardy Heron. I installed amarok, k3b, azureus and vlc to substitute their Gnome counterparties (rhythmbox, brasero, transmission, totem), as unfortunately I don't like them.

I installed Sun Virtualbox (what a great program!) to install WinXp, as unfortunately i need it for both university and work. Probably a geek would have managed to run the programs I need on Ubuntu, but I don't so I guess that was a savvy choice for me.

offcourse its a savvy choice, you can't run every program over wine or crossover, if you need it, then you use virtualbox, its maybe even better than a dualboot :)

fabietto0102
October 12th, 2008, 07:53 PM
offcourse its a savvy choice, you can't run every program over wine or crossover, if you need it, then you use virtualbox, its maybe even better than a dualboot :)

You're right about that. I would like to point out that sun virtualbox is a great program and it should be made available on the main ubuntu distro by default! also, i first installed virtualbox using add/remove, but it didn't work. so i uninstalled it and went to the virtualbox webpage to download the package from there and bang, it works great. why is the file in add/remove not the same as that in the virtualbox webpage?

?

spawn.
October 13th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I did for a little while. I decided instead of going back and forth, just dual boot. But I can't remember the last time I booted it up other than to see if the partitioning worked the first time....Right now, I'm considering using the gnome partition editor to wipe Vista out completely so I can have more space. Don't know yet...

phreon
October 13th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I decided to see how Linux had matured after a brief look at Debian in 2004. At that time Linux was not a good replacement for Windows in terms of ease of use.

I searched Google for opinions on the best distros and since I was experimenting on an old HP 600 Mhz PIII with 384MB ram I went for Vector linux. It loaded easily and found everything except wireless. It was a struggle to get new downloads to work and I was always working from the command line. I decided Linux was not user friendly enough yet. I also tried Puppy and Damn Small. Same result.

After a couple weeks of struggle I was ready to let Linux mature a couple more years and check back. I did one more look at distros and decided to try Ubuntu HH 8.04. It seemed to work so well from the CD that I wanted to really drill into it on a more modern machine. I loaded it on one of my everyday machines, a Sony Vaio 2.5 Mhz P4 with 1GB ram. It justs works. It found and worked with all of the hardware attached. It is easy to use from GUI front ended software. It is incredibly well supported. It makes you want to explore its edges, and rewards you when you do. I find it superior to Windows and I am using it instead.

I am now convinced that Linux will eventually become a real threat to Windows. I suspect it might take the same path that Firefox is taking replacing IE. IMHO, it will probably be distros like Ubunto that will be referenced when people look back at the turning point for Windows.

Thanks to you all for your vision. I am now a Linux user.
P

newagelink
October 13th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.Yeah. I haven't used Windows XP in over a year, but I'm keeping it for the very few things Ubuntu 7.10 can't do. That list, off the top of my head:
webcam
commercial video games
view & play from itunes shared libraries in my dorm network
Has Ubuntu 8.04 fixed any of those items? I'm afraid using wine to play Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 and WoW is over my head. I tried installing wine around a year ago for D2, but I couldn't make heads or tails of how to use it.

I am now convinced that Linux will eventually become a real threat to Windows. I suspect it might take the same path that Firefox is taking replacing IE. IMHO, it will probably be distros like Ubunto that will be referenced when people look back at the turning point for Windows.

Thanks to you all for your vision. I am now a Linux user.
Same here. :)

desland
October 13th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I just got rid of windows recently and dont have any problems, so im not complaining

david_lynch
October 14th, 2008, 12:19 AM
webcam
commercial video games
view & play from itunes shared libraries in my dorm network
Has Ubuntu 8.04 fixed any of those items? I'm afraid using wine to play Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 and WoW is over my head. I tried installing wine around a year ago for D2, but I couldn't make heads or tails of how to use it.
* webcam support is improving - the webcam on my HP laptop works now

* commercial video games? I've never had a problem with that - oh, wait, you mean games not written for linux? Dunno, I only buy games that I can play natively. I've heard some good reports of peecee games running well under crossover or cedega, but I personally won't spend a dime on games that don't run natively.

* itunes - only apple can address your itunes problem, but since there is such a good choice of linux media players (rhythmbox, amarok, banshee etc) I really don't miss itunes. The only feature it has that the linux players don't is the itms - but I get my music from amazon.com or other standards friendly vendors, so the lack of itms doesn't matter to me.

All in all, I'm willing to do without some things if it gets me free of microsoft :KS

newagelink
October 14th, 2008, 04:34 AM
I don't really miss the shared music libraries, since I have so much of my own music, and the radio, and podcasts. I don't have much time for video games, either, so neither of those issues are that important to me. I wish I knew how to get the webcam working, though ... I believe I'm missing some proprietary Intel driver -- that is, Pidgin is missing it, in addition to the lack of concern. (They've stated webcam support isn't a high priority for them.)

Nedimm
October 14th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I still use dualboot because:
-I have all-in-one printer and unable to scan in Ubuntu
-Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Express

forwardthinking
October 14th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Been using ubuntu for years now. Started with 6.06 and had few problems getting used to Ubuntu. Some applications did not work but both ubuntu 7 and 8.04 only keep getting better and better. Have been able to convert more people to the cause including friends and family.

Few things are still sometimes linux incompatible such as
1 multifunction printers/scanners specially --though linuxprinting.org has become much much better over the years.
2 some Memory card readers
3 some webcams and digital cameras
4 some wifi cards

Still trying to find a FREE and good CAD program though expensive Commercial programs are available such as CATIA, Pro/engineer and others.

Hope someday we can have good reviews on FREE ERP softwares too.

Have some problems with scanning solutions for multiple pages --wanted to know about scanning multiple pages in tif file or a better substitute for the gscan2pdf program

OCR is still weak in linux --ocrad, gocr, tesseract etc have quite some way to go.

On the whole everything just works. and whatever doesn't, we keep learning and improving in a DO it yourself spirit.(DIY)

a1z
October 14th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Wine helps me to Ubuntufy my workspace. However,

PART 1/3:

Installing Office 2K in Hardy is done with Wine v1.1.2.

1) install wine 1.1.2
2) extract office 2000 ISO (or zip or rar file)
3) install using setup.exe

====================
PART 2/3:

My question:

MS Word 2000 uses CPU all the time. My CPU meter on the task applet bar shows full usage of CPU when MS Word 2000 is opened and being used. The performance is smooth, nonetheless. When I minimize the window, the CPU relaxes.

What is going on? Is there a way to control the workload of CPU by MS Word 2000? Will this affect the performance of the word processor?

====================
PART 3/3:

SUMMARY:

I see this heavy usage of CPU under these conditions:

1) Hardy + Wine1.1.2 + Office 2000
2) Hardy + Wine1.1.2 + Office 2003
3) XP + Office 2000 (mentioned above)

But it is okay when I open and edit a document under these conditions:

1) XP + Office 2003
2) Hardy + Wine0.9.59 + Office 2003

Thanks in advance!

-a1z

Sponzenbroekske
October 14th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I suggest using OPENOFFICE, its freeeeeeeeeeeeeee and it looks something like office 2003.

export directly as PDF is great!!!!, try that in MS office :p

So why fiddeling with wine when you can use a native program?

a1z
October 14th, 2008, 10:10 PM
oOWriter is good but not fast enough to open large (>100 pages) documents. AbiWord takes much time to open/edit the document.

Any other advice? Thanks in advance!

rws265
October 14th, 2008, 11:38 PM
A year ago I went from a dual boot config, to just booting into Linux. I still run Windows XP under VMWare player occasionally.

Milesio
October 15th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I haven't been using Linux that long, just a few months, but by now I use Ubuntu 99% of the time. I still have windows in a small partition, in case I ever need it for some specific app, piece of hardware of whatever. Yet, as I said, my "transformation" was quick, successful and almost total :)

I am now convinced that Linux will eventually become a real threat to Windows. I suspect it might take the same path that Firefox is taking replacing IE.
Exactly my thoughts!
At this stage - and in the way it is progressing - I think it's just a question of time.

Any of these days I'll get rid of the windows partition for good, I guess.

mulle12
October 15th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I have been swapping between Ubuntu and Windows XP a lot. I am a gamer, but dont like Windows Xp very much. Now i installed Ubuntu as the only OS on my main computer. Im determined to learn how it works, and get better at using it. Some day i will install Ubuntu on all of my computers, my laptop and my sisters computer, as it is not very hard to learn and do not require as much resources as Xp does.

Go Ubuntu!

civillian
October 15th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I've been using linux since I first got my own computer (built it myself :D) and I toyed with dual booting, but I ended up just using linux (in various forms) all the time, becuase it was easier for me to set up than windows (no driver CDs, I don't have to alter important files if I want to make my UI any good.

The only place I have XP is on my eeePC, because all the good distros for it have really long boot times (about a minute...okay, not that long but about the same as my desktop :S) and windows boots in 20 seconds (not as good as the xandros distro, but that was also awful, and incredibly limited) and has slightly better support from Asus. It's a shame, really since I did hack the xandros distro to use fluxbox and be slightly less limited, but even then it was crippled by using kde apps instead of lighter ones I would have prepared (and about 90% of the time, you can't find the app you want, even in the unnoficial repos).

Basically, I am 97% linux, and all because Asus went with xandros for the eeepc. And xandros have bizarre packages installed that you can't remove :S.

George Stephenson
October 15th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

What's a gamer? I have just changed to Ubuntu after the University I just left gave my Vista desktop a virus. My CPU now runs at 12% instead of 90%. I've just bought this months edition of Personal Computer World (here in UK) and there is an article about Cloning - I think it will mean you can run a virtual Windows PC inside your Linux setup. Try www.pcw.co.uk, the magazine recommends www.tinyurl.com/6j9zvv or www.virtualbox.org. The article demonstrates this latter one.

Switch to Ubuntu, we're only human.

Sponzenbroekske
October 15th, 2008, 09:59 PM
What's a gamer? I have just changed to Ubuntu after the University I just left gave my Vista desktop a virus. My CPU now runs at 12% instead of 90%. I've just bought this months edition of Personal Computer World (here in UK) and there is an article about Cloning - I think it will mean you can run a virtual Windows PC inside your Linux setup. Try www.pcw.co.uk, the magazine recommends www.tinyurl.com/6j9zvv or www.virtualbox.org. The article demonstrates this latter one.

Switch to Ubuntu, we're only human.

I tried virtualbox, and that works great, don't know for gaming, but you gotta consider that you're running 2 OS's at once, so you got a passive host OS that using basic ram and cpu and then you got your windows that using too much ram, so your pc gotta be af a certain quality to achive such a thing.

taqkavar
October 16th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I have 2 distors installed one is for quick booting ( Puppy Linux ) the other is ubuntu.

My windows installation was XP pro service pack 2, I maintained it very well, there were no anti viruses running, yet I had the same installation for a year. The only reason I tried Linux was because University lab computers had RH on them, and I discovered that the terminal is one awesome tool.

I game on a PS3, first console I have purchased. Since playstation 2 has lived for so long, I figured they are the best to go with. I also do game on my Linux laptop, C&C Renegade, Urban Terror, Tiberum Wars and older point and click RPG games like fallout 2 that I had managed to miss.

alwez_loner_TZ
October 16th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I still haven't i have been using Ubuntu for about a month now... Its fun and what i use most of the time..

But when it comes to other programs that i need to use like Adobe its going to take me a bit longer to be a fully Ubuntu user.

Arabiest
October 16th, 2008, 10:47 PM
For me....

Despite how much LINUX is challenging and cumbersome to deal with especially when converting from a complete GUI environment such as WINDOWS or MAC OS, its worth it.

Also, despite that my work is based on WINDOWS environment, I personally believe that Linux is more powerful and eye catching with its amazing effects.

In view of the above, I am now OFFICIALLY a LINUX-UBUNTU Loyal USE

My only recommendation from Ubuntu team and management is to consider the following if they want to compete and dominate the operating system.

1- It is not a 100% GUI interface...that is to say, most of required package to run the system are independent and have to look for them here and there, which makes it difficult and sometimes frustrate users whom are with no programming knowledge...it is designed for IT oriented people (Engineers, IT technicians, Technical People...).

2- It is command driven in majority, which is something that makes it hard to use and deal with especially when the system fails to login due to ownership problem. I wish if it is fully GUI which will make it friendly user and I am sure that if it so, WINDOWS & MAC OS are GOOD BUY...will be recalled as OS of the past.

3- It does not support most of the PC hardware, which makes it not preferred by all, when they realize that they have to deal with commands, which is something a user will avoid no matter what great feature the system will or is offering.

All of the above can change if the LINUX community force its OS by adapting a new MARKETING strategy. In my opinion can be achieved once the H/W manufacturers and S/W developers find LINUX an OS that USER can deal with it in ease.

Failing to do so, will not encourage average users whom are 90% of the total users from even thinking of using LINUX no matter what.

Sorry for being so blunt and I apologize for what seems negative things about LINUX in general and Ubuntu in specific.

Wish you all a happy life.

Arabiest

chavon20
October 16th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I made the switch from XP to Ubuntu back in August. I was originally going to have a dual boot machine, but didn't see the point as I didn't really need XP anymore. The only thing I miss is playing MSFS X, but the switch it has been worth it, Ubuntu is so much better to use. Now I just have keep convincing my other half to hold on to it!! Anyone have any good arguments that I can use in simple easy to understand language, so I can convince her once and for all? Shes not very computer savvy...

crtlbreak
October 16th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I made the switch from XP to Ubuntu back in August. I was originally going to have a dual boot machine, but didn't see the point as I didn't really need XP anymore. The only thing I miss is playing MSFS X, but the switch it has been worth it, Ubuntu is so much better to use. Now I just have keep convincing my other half to hold on to it!! Anyone have any good arguments that I can use in simple easy to understand language, so I can convince her once and for all? Shes not very computer savvy...

Its brown - like Chocolate!!!!

metalgearac!d
October 16th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I switched completely after using vista for a week and a half.
I like the idea of free, open-source software. I like that Im still new to Linux, but anything I want to know I can find out by browsing forums and following tutorials.

I will never use Windows again. ...but I have to admit...I still like OS X.

crtlbreak
October 16th, 2008, 11:37 PM
For me....

..... It is not a 100% GUI interface...that is to say, most of required package to run the system are independent and have to look for them here and there, which makes it difficult and sometimes frustrate users whom are with no programming knowledge...it is designed for IT oriented people (Engineers, IT technicians, Technical People...).

There is no 100% GUI interface - even our beloved windaz gui's have command line foundations upon which the guis were added - as shaky as they might be. How do gui's exist without commands and instructions?

2- It is command driven in majority, which is something that makes it hard to use and deal with especially when the system fails to login due to ownership problem. I wish if it is fully GUI which will make it friendly user and I am sure that if it so, WINDOWS & MAC OS are GOOD BUY...will be recalled as OS of the past.

Ditto from above - you might disagree.

3- It does not support most of the PC hardware, which makes it not preferred by all, when they realize that they have to deal with commands, which is something a user will avoid no matter what great feature the system will or is offering.

Strongly disagree

All of the above can change if the LINUX community force its OS by adapting a new MARKETING strategy. In my opinion can be achieved once the H/W manufacturers and S/W developers find LINUX an OS that USER can deal with it in ease.

I doubt the OS (or the Linux community for that matter) can be forced to do anything against their will - instead they are working positively forward to effect change as the concept of Open Source is different to commercial "beta release" operating systems. I have not had any unfixable issues in Linux.

Failing to do so, will not encourage average users whom are 90% of the total users from even thinking of using LINUX no matter what.

Valid point of trying to obtain market share but do we really want average users?

ctulien
October 16th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Does anybody know why shype is so crapppy for Ubuntu..im having a hrd time using it...is it just me????

bhsurfer2point0
October 17th, 2008, 01:47 AM
i built my new 64 bit amd machine in april 2008 and installed 7.10 64. i've been using it at home exclusively ever since. i also put 7.10 32 on my non-technical girlfriend's laptop and neither of us has had any problems using either machine. my 13 year old son has no problems using it either and figured out how to do everything he wanted to do with minimal coaching.

i run the only game i play (starcraft - i know, i'm lame) under wine and it works just fine. vpn/rdp functions flawlessly, the ms office / open office compatibility is much better than i dared hope it would be, and everything "just works." consider me on board permanently.

lancest
October 17th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Myself and many others find OpenOffice is faster with long documents than MS Word. Word is a slow dog with long documents. I have confirmed this on both Windows and Linux. Writer is made for heavy work.

crtlbreak
October 17th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Myself and many others find OpenOffice is faster with long documents than MS Word. Word is a slow dog with long documents. I have confirmed this on both Windows and Linux. Writer is made for heavy work.

I think you can "ditto" that for most other apps too, browsers, email client, spreadsheet, databases - the list goes on

tenderone
October 17th, 2008, 08:33 PM
:) I have fully switched to Linux, I bought my first and only PC about 5 years ago with XP @ (PC WORLD), The very same night i first booted it up it got infected by that blaster worm that was doing the rounds,
To cut a long story short i tried Linux not so long ago with a full installation, only to discover after that i would have to buy XP if i wanted it back, i knew nothing about activation serials or codes and XP came installed on the PC rather on a CD disk.

Linux is all i need from selling on ebay, music collection, online flash games (my 8 year old niece), and general browsing.

tenderone
October 17th, 2008, 09:58 PM
view of the above, I am now OFFICIALLY a LINUX-UBUNTU Loyal USE

My only recommendation from Ubuntu team and management is to consider the following if they want to compete and dominate the operating system.

1- It is not a 100% GUI interface...that is to say, most of required package to run the system are independent and have to look for them here and there, which makes it difficult and sometimes frustrate users whom are with no programming knowledge...it is designed for IT oriented people (Engineers, IT technicians, Technical People...).

Sorry for being so blunt and I apologize for what seems negative things about LINUX in general and Ubuntu in specific.

Arabiest

:) If as you wish Linux becomes "easy", more and more people will use it and that will directly lead to the commercial effect, and thus taking away the romance that Linux holds.....

dagoth_pie
October 18th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Does anybody know why shype is so crapppy for Ubuntu..im having a hrd time using it...is it just me????

if you're meaning Skype, I put it down to it being proprietry software, if it were open source, and had been around for this long, it wouldnt be nearly as glitchy

dagoth_pie
October 18th, 2008, 01:52 AM
For me....

Despite how much LINUX is challenging and cumbersome to deal with especially when converting from a complete GUI environment such as WINDOWS or MAC OS, its worth it.

Also, despite that my work is based on WINDOWS environment, I personally believe that Linux is more powerful and eye catching with its amazing effects.

In view of the above, I am now OFFICIALLY a LINUX-UBUNTU Loyal USE

Arabiest

As far as I know, thats the goal of Ubuntu, to actually get a majority standing in desktop operating systems, there are a few hurdles (commercial drivers being the biggest), but they're doing a great job in overcoming them, personnally I quite enjoy learning all there is to know about Linux (and any other aspect of computers that doesn't have viruses to target virus scanners), I also know that not everyone finds it as interesting as I do, nor has the time to. So I see where you comming from, but I'll agree, when seting up new programs and hardware you need to know at least a few commands, but give it a few years, there will be graphical programs to run .bin,.sh,etc installers, and as soon as the majority of hardware companies support Linux for their devices, it'll clear up a lot of the configuration problems too, so I'd say that we aren't far of from being the dream...

jerzydirtracer
October 18th, 2008, 02:16 AM
If I could find a way to run COD2 and COD-UO on Ubuntu, I would get rid of the virus called windows all together. My main laptop is Ubuntu, my garage is Kubuntu. Besides the Linux kernel and main programming has been around a long time and is always updated and basically never changes and all versions are basically compatible, backward and forward, unlike windows which makes users waste more money upgrading every couple of years. Gee, 2009 comes another windows version, yet incompatible with the last versions.

alienprdkt
October 18th, 2008, 04:33 AM
I have finally made the switch to get rid of windows and go with 5 machines running linux. 3 Ubuntu two of which are Lamp servers (with the 3 (ppps) and 2 Gentoo boxes, with a mac mini, and a gateway laptop with mac osX86 Leopard!!!

No time for games its work work work....

but glad to be rid of my debugging windows headaches!

UnfinishedSymphony
October 18th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I am on my way to going completely Linux, the only thing stopping me is installation problems which will be sorted out.

I am not a gamer, well I am not an online gamer I prefer my PS (not connected to internet) but as with above, it suits my needs perfectly and I get windows headaches and something I nicknamed "windows tourettes" which is not good.

mynameiszanders
October 18th, 2008, 02:28 PM
The reason I didn't switch completely to Linux straight away was because I did not know how to customize the system to my liking, but I understand it more now and have it as my main OS.

Unfortunately I still need Windows for one reason, Adobe. I need the Adobe suite for my college course! And that annoys me. So XP only has 5 Gb allocated to it now :) (It still complains that it doesn't have enough hard disk space!)

mniz

BGrigg
October 18th, 2008, 03:58 PM
If I could find a way to run COD2 and COD-UO on Ubuntu, I would get rid of the virus called windows all together. My main laptop is Ubuntu, my garage is Kubuntu. Besides the Linux kernel and main programming has been around a long time and is always updated and basically never changes and all versions are basically compatible, backward and forward, unlike windows which makes users waste more money upgrading every couple of years. Gee, 2009 comes another windows version, yet incompatible with the last versions.

I was surprised at how easy WINE let me play CoD and CoD:UO, I haven't tried CoD2 or 4 yet (have to find where my kids put the darn disks!).

I dual booted for a couple of weeks. I had installed Ubuntu and XP on the same HD and have all my programs on a separate NFTS HD which were installed through XP. I merely installed WINE under Ubuntu, then browsed to the executable for the game (with the disk in the CD tray), click and play! It even lets me play my saved games.

Once I figured out that, I backed up my /home folder, and blew out XP. My main computer is now full time Ubuntu.

I'm not completely Windows free, nor do I want to be. I have a secondary system for when I need Office and other Windows only apps. And I haven't managed to get Spore to play using WINE. YET!!

I am slowly converting my family to Ubuntu. I currently have 6 desktops and 1 laptop networked. I think I can completely convert at least 3 of the desktops, dual boot the balance and retain the laptop for Windows for my Windows only work apps.

crtlbreak
October 18th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I am slowly converting my family to Ubuntu. I currently have 6 desktops and 1 laptop networked. I think I can completely convert at least 3 of the desktops, dual boot the balance and retain the laptop for Windows for my Windows only work apps.

LOL
I had a good chuckle when I read your comments - there is an excellent thread that I think you should look at - URL below

Dont take it personal - it was just the "6 computers" part that made me look at my home network and feel that I am not the only person out there whose spare rooms glows in the dark .....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=86237

itisbasi
October 18th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Like most people here, I use windows just for gaming. When I made the shift to ubuntu I never thought that I would be able to give up software like MS office and photoshop and would keep coming back to windows for these apps apart from gaming. But open office and gimp did surprise me. I had this preconceived notion that open source software is not upto the mark, not well supported.. etc, all of which were proved so wrong very quickly. I am optimistic with respect to wine and hope to one day get full gaming support on linux...

Sisteroot
October 18th, 2008, 07:34 PM
i completely switched to Linux. :twisted:

Flynn555
October 18th, 2008, 07:40 PM
ive been using ubuntu on my main pc for a while now...probably almost a year...

i keep vista running on my laptop because i use visual studio alot for school projects.

etdsbastar
October 19th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I was using windows xp for the last 12.6 years but now due to many good reasons, i am totally switched to Ubuntu. It is really good and of course bug free (as i noticed till now).

Ubuntu is really very beautiful and working on it is glamorous. What else i can say.... Just try and have it in you by yourselves...

Bye

leafdog
October 19th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Switched? i have never been any other OS, Linux is all i've ever known

dagoth_pie
October 19th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Switched? i have never been any other OS, Linux is all i've ever known

If only we could all be so lucky...

cygnus-X1
October 19th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I'm not a programmer or anything of the like. My history is this. Started with 98SE, but had to reboot when done with real games. Went to 2K and it would do video, (especially video greater than 4GB), and had much fewer problems, until recently. Had xp on a rental from duh-Dell. Ran it in 2K mode becasue it was a PITA to locate things. 6 months ago installed Hardy and it worked well on the old machine, but the Mobo is crapping out. Put it on an AMD64 machine and I have the random locks, shutdowns and reboot plauge! Installed 7.10 and all seems well, but there appears to be some things that aren't there. I'm still trying to figure out what all there is/isn't.

I also tried Mandriva 2009 and Debian Etch live. both the latest stable versions, but neither will load properly. Since I'm not a CLI guy, (Yet. I'll learn when I get the extra time sometime next year!), I don't have time to muddle around trying to figure stuff out, I'll play with 7.10 until 8.10 comes out. Hopefully that will work and be idiot friendly! I like the potential that Ubuntu has. If it could do video editing and real games, then I'ld be willing to dump 2K. But until then...

R_U_Q_R_U
October 20th, 2008, 12:12 AM
I was using windows xp for the last 12.6 years ...

Cool, Windows XP was released on 25 October 2001 -- so you had a copy five years before its official release :lolflag::lolflag:

soccerush10
October 20th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I have.

22-250
October 20th, 2008, 02:11 AM
I'm all Linux, have been for years now, the last Windows I was using was 98...

Haven't missed it at all. I am worried a bit though, having no knowlegde of how to use the current Windows, because I may be starting a job that requires a 'high comfort level with computers' which most likely involves using windows.
Shouldn't be that hard to learn though, right?
I mean I've played around installing and teaching myself how to use several different linuxes, so hopefully that will help me get the hang of it fast.....

Crick
October 20th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Over 1 year and counting.

The only way I will touch windows is through rdesktop. :) I have an old HDD or two that has some version of windows on it but they haven't had cables connected to them in a long time now.

I hardly notice I'm running Ubuntu. I just see the regular applications I use I guess. I'll play the occasional windows game in Wine. It works.

In general GNU/Linux is just a superior way of doing things. The repositories just rock. All the free software stored on your ISP. It just works, installs and is so convenient. Software installation used to be the pitfall of linux, now it is the strength. Having a decent command line is also something I appreciate. Having things run fast? Priceless. Even with compiz my budget computer is flying.

I can't think why I'd want to go back to windows. That creepy feeling like I'm being watched - no thanks. Spyware, malware, constant reinstallation. I like to restrict full reinstalls to once every 3 years with an LTS release, instead of every 6 months. Searching for serials or paying - again, no thanks. Having to find a CD Key to reinstall - no thanks. Not being able to just ls > directory_list.txt to print a directory? No thanks.

Would windows have any advantages? Maybe a game would run with no issues I suppose. Big deal. I'm old enough where games aren't my life, I have responsibilities. Besides, half the fun is tricking a windows game to run under Wine.

Some things would just work, but after a bit of effort I've got them working under linux. And you only have to get them working once. After that it's easy.

I get the feeling that in a hundred years, probably even a thousand, people will still be running a derivative of linux or BSD. Unix and its software ecosystem just keeps getting better and better, and things that are fixed stay solved. It has a community that loves it for what it is. It reminds me of the AK-47 in the way it has been copied and improved in little bits throughout the years, is cheap, effective, a basically good design.

I'm not so sure about Windows.

I can imagine that in another 10 years you will be able to buy a computer as functional as a middle-end PC of today for about $100 or so. It will do all you want of it for 10 years or so. There is no margin in that device for Microsoft. As a result, Microsoft's margins will dwindle, and with that their power to advertise, to influence OEMs and governments, etc. will wane. At the same time, in the absence of MS influence those same entities will naturally want to embrace FOSS because it is good, it is cheap, it is open and it is something they can control.

Once that control is lost it will never be regained.

LordIshamael
October 21st, 2008, 10:27 AM
my computer has only kubuntu but i keep windows on vbox for games like cs and certain specific programs that i need for my math or something
other than that, i pretty much do everything on kubuntu

sheto
October 21st, 2008, 10:40 AM
I switched about a year ago when Ubuntu 7.10 came out. Now I use Windows once in a blue moon for music and gaming purposes only.

reg4c
October 21st, 2008, 11:53 AM
Completely switched
I still have Vista though, just in case
But I use Ubuntu for everything, the only thing that I boot into Windows from time to time is Visual Studio or Skype [works in Ubuntu but not perfectly]

Free Hugs
October 21st, 2008, 09:28 PM
I've have both my desktop and laptop on Ubuntustudio and openSuse, respectively. The Desktop has only ever seen linux.

Have to have a virtualbox running XP for school (Visual Studio, Adobe Suite)

dwinstonm
October 21st, 2008, 09:59 PM
I've completely switched to Linux since March this year. After scraping together enough bucks to buy a new laptop with vista I realized that in order to actually use the computer to the extent that I was hoping to with the pre-installed OS I'd either have to use pirated stuff or spend hundreds of dollars on software that would probably become obsolete in a few years, and being a broke college student it probably would have been the cheaper of the two, but I didn't have any reason not to try Linux being that the only significant software investment that I'd made at that point that would be dependent on using windows was windows itself. It's been working great for me since. As far as I'm concerned, if proprietary companies are going to make a big stink about unauthorized use and piracy, let them have their way. There are other options where you don't have to deal with their lame attempts at intimidation and mild threats and still not have to dole out the big bucks. I've heard that only 5% of most of the cost of proprietary software actually goes to it's development, the rest is all marketing, administrative costs, and profit, which is mostly bypassed with open source.

harry666t
October 23rd, 2008, 04:52 PM
Switched completely over 2 years ago, hadn't looked back since

Occasionally testing out other OSs ([GNU/Open]Solaris, various *BSDs, Plan9, some minor hobby OSs)

germanix
October 23rd, 2008, 05:17 PM
Completely switched since June of this year. Running Ubuntu on my pc and a dual boot Ubuntu/Mint on my laptop. Glad I did it and have no desire to go back to windows.

scrat75
October 25th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I completely switched to Ubuntu from about six months, and for my computer needs (programming, surfing the web, email, watching photos and films) I don't feel the absence of Windows...

bhuvi
October 25th, 2008, 06:57 PM
i'm using ubuntu since 2006.I use ubuntu 95% of time i use windows for only gaming and engineering tools like matlab

dracule
October 25th, 2008, 08:14 PM
when i get back to my dorm Sunday, i will see how fast my wireless is.

If it is as fast as Windows, I will finally delete the windows partition on my computer, and have 100% linux. I may have virtualbox on there though, havent really decided about that.

The only reason I have windows is that the wireless is so much slower in linux.

CloudFX
October 25th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I've had Ubuntu installed for 10 months now, and I've been dualbooting with Vista for nearly all that time. Sadly, there are applications which I must use in Windows, and my printer doesn't have Linux support.

jmorsman
October 25th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I have been using forms of Linux for about 3 years. The last two Linux has been the only operating system that I have used on my personal computers.

The nice part in the last three years I have not lost information on a hard drive because the os decided to lobotomise its self.

E-Cecilia
October 26th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I ditched Windows as soon as started my computer for the very first time.
And I'm holding on strong.

NewJack
October 26th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Been using Ubuntu for a little over 2 years and finally ditched my Win partition which I kept around for gaming. There are so many good Linux games around there is no need to keep using WinXP. Now I play Doom3, SuperTux 2, Nexuiz, Wolfenstein: ET, UFO: Alien Invasion and FreeCol.

sixstorm
October 26th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I've always used Windows, never have really been without it. I did however switch over to Macs completely for about a year, but had to go back due to gaming pains (I missed Counter Strike) and school. Once I got into some senior classes, I knew that I needed to give up the Macs and go back to Windows.

Now that I have a real IT job, I deal with XP and Vista issues all day long, 5 days a week. I have finally fully devoted my personal laptop to Ubuntu Linux, since everything finally works correctly. Ubuntu has come a LONG way since the 6.06 days.

I don't think that I could ever completely switch to Linux since my work is 100% Windows based and I do all of my gaming on my PC now. I am about to sell my XBOX 360 since all the good games are coming out for the PC! :D

dracule
October 26th, 2008, 05:12 AM
I've always used Windows, never have really been without it. I did however switch over to Macs completely for about a year, but had to go back due to gaming pains (I missed Counter Strike) and school. Once I got into some senior classes, I knew that I needed to give up the Macs and go back to Windows.

Now that I have a real IT job, I deal with XP and Vista issues all day long, 5 days a week. I have finally fully devoted my personal laptop to Ubuntu Linux, since everything finally works correctly. Ubuntu has come a LONG way since the 6.06 days.

I don't think that I could ever completely switch to Linux since my work is 100% Windows based and I do all of my gaming on my PC now. I am about to sell my XBOX 360 since all the good games are coming out for the PC! :D
yeah, looking back 5.10 (my first distro) is almost unusable by today's standards for GUI usability.

sixstorm
October 26th, 2008, 05:35 AM
yeah, looking back 5.10 (my first distro) is almost unusable by today's standards for GUI usability.

All along, the drivers for linux have just been horrible. Now it's way better.

WolfyAU82
October 26th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Started with Mandrake Linux a while back but I got turned off with what looking like a complex command line setup. PC linux OS a few years ago, had no idea how to install stuff. About a year ago I took a friends recommendation and gradually made the switch to Ubuntu!

When it came down to making that switch. It was a case of be forced into Vista, invest in a MAC (but I couldn't afford one) or take the leap of faith and go the way of Linux.

Windows XP is the last "Good" Windows OS in operation, but that wasn't enough to persuade me to like it on those grounds over it's "Faults". My decision to switch was one sparked by sheer frustration because Windows had me taking to my PC like John McEnroe to his racket.

Despite having appliances and applications that I've yet to get working with Ubuntu, there have been NO REGRETS leaving Windows behind. :)

unclejac
October 26th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Well for me, approaching nearly a year since I started using Ubuntu as my main O/S.

Like so many others I guess, fleeing from a resource hungry Vista nightmare. I have never looked back and enjoyed learning loads of new things. ( Is it me or does a Windows O/S make you lazy? hehe )

I still have that XP partition for the Gamer in me, Tho I don't recall the last time I used it ?? Och well must be enjoying my Ubuntu desktop too much!! ;)

DanTheFlyingMan
October 26th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I've spent the last few months experimenting with operating systems on my laptop. It came with Vista, I installed Ubuntu 8.04 soon after on a seperate partition, then replaced Ubuntu with Debian, then replaced everything with XP, then replaced XP with OS X, and now I have been back with Ubuntu for a few weeks. I've decided to keep it as my sole OS from now on.

panagiotis1951
October 26th, 2008, 06:25 PM
i have 2 computers no windows for 2 to 3 months i run ubuntu and opensuse on 1 ubuntu and xubuntu 2 :guitar: i love it with oll the problems :)

cjnkns
October 26th, 2008, 07:42 PM
To be honest it has been really very hard for me to commit to using only linux.
I am not sure why it is probably becuase I am used to using many of the applications I have on my xp system and it feels comfortable to me. Becuase it's comfortable I am able to get more work done.

Not to mention - my work laptop is xp and I use it for work every day.
I enjoy being on and learning about my ubuntu laptop I just can't commit to using linux only until it becomes a bit more accepted in the business world.

I like the idea of the linux culture and use the software a lot.
But, Windows for all its problems is a very nice and useable system. I do not think it is as bad as many say it is. Otherwise, business would be working to switch a lot harder than they are instead of considering moving to Vista or Windows 7...

cjnkns
October 26th, 2008, 07:43 PM
To be honest it has been really very hard for me to commit to using only linux.
I am not sure why it is probably becuase I am used to using many of the applications I have on my xp system and it feels comfortable to me. Becuase it's comfortable I am able to get more work done.

Not to mention - my work laptop is xp and I use it for work every day.
I enjoy being on and learning about my ubuntu laptop I just can't commit to using linux only until it becomes a bit more accepted in the business world.

I like the idea of the linux culture and use the software a lot.
But, Windows for all its problems is a very nice and useable system. I do not think it is as bad as many say it is. Otherwise, business would be working to switch a lot harder than they are instead of considering moving to Vista or Windows 7...

cjnkns
October 26th, 2008, 07:44 PM
hmm posted twice :( sorry about that

mad_max0204
October 27th, 2008, 08:56 AM
You are right about that but I was too stubborn and installed ubuntu on my work laptop :)
Had some minor problems when installing network printers but it all works now.
I will have to switch from thunderbird to using evolution because my company runs exchange server with global adress book, calendar, tasks and alot more.

At home I'm windows free for about 1.5 years. Hope I'll never have to use it :)

tricktone
October 27th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I have a nice dual-screen setup I built back in 2003. I originally installed Slackware on it, but for some reason I switched back to XP for a few years. Now I've been running Ubuntu for about a year, and I absolutely love it. I let my friends use this system as much as they want, with no real fear of them tearing it up.

I have a server with Win2k3 installed, which I don't use it that often, except for my Lexmark printer which doesn't have Linux drivers available as of yet (they won't release the source, apparently.)

small_sammy
October 27th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I was using Linux and Windows on and off since RedHat 8.
Last 2 years I was mainly using Windows until I installed Xubuntu on an old machine first and after to an old laptop.

I tried some apps with Wine in the old machine that I needed for work purposes (namely Fireworks, Dreamweaver) and they worked fine.
Only one not working was and is Illustrator.

Now it is almost two weeks that I use only Xubuntu.
I still have my Windows partition but havent booted not even once to it.
I guess there will be one last boot before I erase it just to take an image of it to use with Virtualbox for Illustrator and whatever else comes up.

eternalnewbee
October 27th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Have been using Ubuntu, no dual boot, for about two years now.

damien22
October 27th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I AM TRYING but...i am a chemist and although ubuntu has a lot of excellent programs i can not find an InfaRed(IR) analyzer...so i use windows only for that...:(

dunkar70
October 27th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I still have a native Windows XP partition for my video camera software and a couple of games. Otherwise, I use Ubuntu 8.04 full time and have VirtualBox vm with another instance of XP for the remaining needs. Unfortunately, the vm instance does not recognize my Panasonic PV-GS500 as a video camera connected via USB cable. I can access the memory card as a removable drive, but the camera function is not available. I'll post this in the appropriate thread to address, I just thought I'd mention it as a reason.

I also use Ubuntu 8.04 full time on my laptop and I have a thumb drive installation of the 8.10 release candidate.

thom_raindog
October 27th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks to ubuntu (somewhere around version 5.04 and the "invention" of Kubuntu) I am "windows-free" at home for a good three years now.
I changed both desktops over to gentoo a while ago and run a special EEE-brew of Ubuntu on my EEE1000.
Happy :)

IanDaMusical
October 28th, 2008, 06:20 AM
I grew weary of Windows and all the lovely trojans it is capable of catching long ago, then found out about Linux two months ago. I've been Windows-free for 1.5 months. Definitely miss being able to play Maplestory, but otherwise the move has been the most pleasant computing experience ever.

Terry19
October 28th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Going from windows to linux or ubuntu is a big change in any way you see it, I went from windows to linux over night and was very happy excpt a few times when linux didnt do what i wanted as easy as it is with mac or windows, (like formatting an external hdd), i now have 2 Hdd's one with ubuntu and one with win xp, but thats only for occasional use. i have used it maybe 4 times since i installed it 3 months ago. its only there incase i need it. but with ubuntu it seems to do what i want. (anyone know how to use ubunto to fprmat external hdd's as easy as it is with windows.?)

n00blar
October 28th, 2008, 03:10 PM
If I could get connected to work's vpn system, using l2tp, I would drop Windows completely, but it seems that linux has issues with l2tp.

ubunt2guy
October 28th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I have never used windows XP. Seeing screenshots on the net, it looks awful! (So ugly and tacky that it seems to hold your attention - like not being able to look away from a mother scolding her children.)

I used to have win98 but I got rid of that in 2002. I first started with mandrake and it made me want to vomit. Debian Woody was released and I installed that. Six months later, it was the only OS on my copmuters.

When someone asks me to install linux on their computer, I instal Ubuntu because I am sick and tired of aswering everyone's questions. Ubuntu just works - or requires only minimal tweaking.

I can't say anything about dvd or video playing since I do not use my computer for that.

you have never used XP? I just think that is like never looking at a TV. It's just alienating yourself, or making yourself uninformed or uneducated. (Like people Who refuse to get a cell phone.) For example, you could never really get an office job because you'll be ignorant to XP.

I use Ubuntu for many reasons but I don't "hate" XP.

Some people seem to bash Microsoft because they are a big company or for some othe idealistic reason. Alot of times they just sound like they Want people to think they are 1337 and they really aren't. "Yeah I've never used XP because I knoW better". BS get a life...

/end rant

Coreo
October 29th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I use Ubuntu for many reasons but I don't "hate" XP.

Some people seem to bash Microsoft because they are a big company or for some othe idealistic reason. Alot of times they just sound like they Want people to think they are 1337 and they really aren't. "Yeah I've never used XP because I knoW better". BS get a life...

Agreed.
I have often found myself using linux, but end up sort of sticking up for XP every now and then when it gets bashed...
In order to be 1337, I think you need to be fluent in both linux and XP before you can say "I don't use XP because I know better".
I've got everything from 98SE to Vista under my belt, and I can say that I currently prefer ubuntu linux, so I am using it right now.
Yes, I still have a dual-boot, just in case somebody needs to see me do something in XP, or I just want to use it for a little bit.

So yeah....agreed.

FAMUgolfer
October 29th, 2008, 12:28 AM
I switched, but not completely since I still use XP in Virtualbox. Had problems installing a driver for my HP printer as well as syncing my AT&T Tilt. I know other people have resolutions to these issues but I'm just too stupid to understand the lingo. But those would be the only reasons why I still use Windows.

SSDREY
October 29th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I personally use ubuntu as my vmware server computer, but my laptop is vista. I don't think that I'll ever completely switch to linux, I will most likely use both for quite some time. I work in IT so for me it's unavoidable.

rickyrockrat
October 29th, 2008, 04:12 AM
To Coreo/Ubunt2guy:
You hit a hot key! I agree with you, one should have to develop on multiple platforms before making a judgment. I've developed in Dos, PSos, VxWorks, Windows (all flavors but Vista) Sun, MpRas, and Linux. I think I qualify to say.

I was an engineer before Microsoft existed. I started with win3.1, then 95, then NT and friends. I ditched windows at 2000 (I'd had it with blue screens), though I've had to use XP on and off. I've developed in both, and I can tell you windows absolutely sucks when it comes to debugging anything. And don't even get me started on MSDN!

There are just 3 versions of windows from a core development (i.e. Win32 layer) model (I'm not counting 3.1, since it was fully DOS based). The windows 95/98/ME flavor and the NT flavor which both 2000 and XP use. I've not developed in Vista, so I can't speak to that environment, but I would be very surprised to see the core layer change...which is why I learned it eons ago.

Life is not all rosy in the Linux world, but the truth is I can't cry and whine with open source. If I don't like it I can just fix it, and I have always been able to get enough debug info from Linux, usually really helpful (like when trying to get the network up, I've had it ask if the cable was unplugged...which it was :).

Microsoft makes money, not software. They are anti anything that that threatens their monopoly. They are sly and IMHO evil in their intent. Just ask the 1000's of companies they put out of business, and don't forget that business with SCO, trying to scare businesses using Linux with that groundless lawsuit. Much of their software sucks, and there are inherent security flaws in their OS design that cannot be fixed without breaking most applications. I say this from developing and using this OS.

Just ask all the IT departments that are having Vista thrust on them. Vista is just another money-making opportunity for Microsoft. What did it really provide us that wasn't already there in XP? Until enough people pull away from Microsoft, they will remain an impediment to Linux simply because hardware vendors are too lazy and don't have monetary pressure to support Linux...even though they have to go through loops just to get their drivers "certified" with Windows.

Don't even get me started on Digital Rights Management and how badly Microsoft wants to own content distribution, encoding, and decoding! This is a huge source of revenue for Microsoft, and frightening just from the standpoint of how much control it could give them. Fortunately, many movie studios are paranoid enough to not trust Microsoft's DRM. I have it on second-hand info from a reliable source (who is under wraps from Microsoft) that DRM can be cracked without a valid key.

Nuf said. I think they suck from any angle I can see them from, and I am constantly bugged by their interface every time I have to use it. I still remember one time when I signed up for a VB development project (OK, it wasn't *much* of a development project). The guys installing the software I needed just sat there and did the install/reboot cycle for over an hour! This was on XP. I remember thinking "What a piece of Junk!"

The list goes on, but the only reason Microsoft has better software in some areas (like some 3D/math apps) is because vendors have been writing software them for many years. The Linux desktop has really only come into it's own in the last few years.

My ISP is using Windows for their email servers. Know how I know? It goes down. A lot, and I keep calling them up and telling them what they need to do to fix it. Since my business relies on my email, I am using DynDns so I can still send mail, and I never rely on the incoming mail servers - I use one I rent that runs Linux. Sorry for the rant, but I couldn't resist when you opened that door.

sonu 1807
October 29th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I installed ubuntu as a dual boot with vista...I kept vista for sometime because being a non-techie I was not fully confident about it. But ubuntu completely surprised me.I found it easy to use, tweak,install/reinstall.All my hardwares are working fine with it(mostly out of the box). Finally about 10 days back I freed my laptop of vista... and would never go back. I experimented with other distros and found fedora and dreamlinux good too. But I am using ubuntu as my primary OS because of its excellent forum. I get quick replies to my queries or find answers in old threads.

sealview
October 29th, 2008, 03:03 PM
On the server side I have switched to Ubuntu, from a Win Server Web Ed.(that disapointed me a lot) from about 3 years ago.

on the workstation side the are 2 things keeping me to win platform:
1. the most important no Flash Professional alternative, even a commercial one;
2. of cource, the long lusting GAMES :D

jmate24
October 29th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I made the switch in 2005 when Ubuntu 5.10 started and I have been switching in between them back and forth. Then I discovered Virtual Boxes and that I can route the Box through Ubuntu's firewall. But I still have to complete the upgrading to my PC. Try a 26-1TB Software RAID 5. Think of all that space and how much music and videos I can rip to it using Ubuntu! And all of those Windows games I can install and play with the Box! It just blows my mind! (but it will be sort of expensive)

pirattrev
October 31st, 2008, 12:49 AM
Completely Linux'd. I still have an dual boot set up for windows but iIhaven't touched it in 6 months and I am thinking of just removing it.

WarTor
October 31st, 2008, 09:57 AM
I still can't switch completely to Linux from Windows, I'm wayyyy tooooo much into gaming :lolflag:

beN..87
October 31st, 2008, 11:16 AM
out of sheer frustration caused by using Vista for a whole 20 minutes to try and install itunes - i wiped that useless peice of rubbish ( iwas only keeping it for itunes) ...i also peeled off their stickers and ritually burnt them.

Such was my rage, never mind 'completely switched' - i am never again going anywhere near anything made by those useless bunch of idiots at redmond

and if an employer happens to stll pay the MS tax and wishes to force me to use it -- i shall keep quiet while i sneakily create my very own Live-CD of ubuntu with Vista skins to fool them MWAHAHAHAHAH

ubunt2guy
November 1st, 2008, 12:04 AM
out of sheer frustration caused by using Vista for a whole 20 minutes to try and install itunes - i wiped that useless peice of rubbish ( iwas only keeping it for itunes) ...i also peeled off their stickers and ritually burnt them.

Such was my rage, never mind 'completely switched' - i am never again going anywhere near anything made by those useless bunch of idiots at redmond

and if an employer happens to stll pay the MS tax and wishes to force me to use it -- i shall keep quiet while i sneakily create my very own Live-CD of ubuntu with Vista skins to fool them MWAHAHAHAHAH

so are you using iTunes in Ubuntu. I'd love to hear hat you are using for ipod/iphone. I have an iPhone so unfortunately I have to use xp still...unless anyone knos a solution to backup an iphone...

martin_h
November 1st, 2008, 08:22 AM
I switched three of our five computers to ubuntu the last half year. One still to go, which will need to be a dual boot as there is still no lunux version of oovoo. The last one I will get to before the end of the year. two of our laptops are acers (a 5601 and an aspire one) and they are a challenge to get the working, though when they do they are better than on redmondXP. I certainly wont go back to anything produced by M. I buy now all my computers without OS. It was a big step, but now I start to learn the tricks of the trade, its great.

thasban
November 1st, 2008, 08:34 AM
I have completely switched to ubuntu. But i miss my photoshop CS3 though. Its yet the best open source Os yet i think.

kaffeboy
November 1st, 2008, 08:42 AM
Ubuntu has become my portable distro of choice. Its on my laptop and do not intend to go back to Windows until Microsoft starts giving it away for free. However, I love OS X and I dont care what any of you all think...Mac OS was always my first love. :KS

I love Mac OS X on my old Apple. I love Mac OS on iPhone, I love Mac OS on my pancakes, I love Mac OS when Im with my girlfriend. I miss Mac OS when Im on vacation away from home...you know what I mean.

Ziyan Junaideen
November 1st, 2008, 10:19 AM
I'd been using computers since 2000 and till about one month Microsoft Windows was my only choice.

From about 6 months I'd got to know about Linux to be very nice and stable. I was like, "Its a OS for professionals and is not user friendly". So I finally thought of asking some one who knew about Linux.

It was from my age old friend Udaya (Department of Computer Engineering - University of Peradeniya) where we both are Under Graduates of UoP. He said it to be very nice and not sophisticated.

I looked on YouTube about Ubuntu and other Linux. I was damn surprised and happy. I couldn't find a Ubuntu CD/DVD form any shop in my area. So I hit my slow DSL internet to download it.

Couple of days later I managed to get my ZTE ZXDSL 852 modem up and running. There after the real fun began. I downloaded software like there was no tomorrow. I am now having dual boot up at the moment, but haven't used Windows XP form about a week.

Once I get a Ubuntu CD/DVD I will get rid of windows for ever. I don't have space in my little hard-drive for ****** microsoft products any more.

I invite all of you who can, to switch to Linux. I will as soon as I can collect the money to get a DVD Writer (to write the Ubuntu CD.

Have a nice day.:popcorn:

selehka
November 1st, 2008, 11:00 AM
It seems I got the WinXP from hell that Linux warns you about. I will admit I became quite accustomed to reformatting every 3 months after a doing some of their updates, and a lot of the glitches I can walk just about anyone through. Service Pack 3 finished me. It lost my hard drive, and then all the Dll's.

In a moment of sheer frustration 2 months ago I got an Ubuntu live cd and had been using it off and on. Then set up a dual boot...... Then winxp went out on me again. Powered off, put in my cd and had it erase WinXP from my computer and my memory!

Still a newbie, still lurking and searching to solve problems (usually manage to finally find the answer). Thank goodness for c/p commands given for terminal.

Frustrations? Think I have way too many media players added trying to get streaming video from BBC (just now got that resolved) so would love to see a simple "use this media player" list. 2 problems yet to go: 1) headphones don't work...... but after going glazed eyed over all the suggestions think I'll just deal with not having headphones and turning sound on speakers down low so I don't bother others. 2) Miss just moving mouse to 'wake up' computer. Off to search that answer now.

My live cd I ordered is being shared with others, the one I dl is in reserve. :P

EKa
November 1st, 2008, 11:26 AM

In every day use I do mostly UBUNTU, but I still have XP for couple of necessary software dependences. Never went to Vista. :)

Stefanie
November 1st, 2008, 12:07 PM
after 6 months of using ubuntu i wiped windows last week an i'm very proud of it :-) i wasn't using it anymore so there was no reason to keep my dual boot.

salvatordarling
November 1st, 2008, 08:30 PM
I've had XP and Ubuntu on my laptop for over a year now, but when I installed 8.10 yesterday, I finally eliminated Windows for good. I've not used it for months anyway.

rpwdh
November 1st, 2008, 08:52 PM
I've finally done it. I replaced XP on my laptop with Ubuntu. I was amazed at how quickly it installed and I didn't have to go messing around looking for SATA drivers.

It took me a long time to realize that I don't NEED Windows.

I just need to figure out how to get my C6820 printer working.

Off to the forums! \\:D/

h4v0k_d0m
November 1st, 2008, 09:43 PM
:lolflag:

h4v0k_d0m
November 1st, 2008, 09:44 PM
I Love linux I used it back when it was Breezy Badger then kinda quit due to lack of ability to find what I needed and being a complete newb. Just got a new lappy though and going back to strictly linux this time for good. I love Knoppix, RH, Pendrive Linux and Damn Small Linux, But settled on Ubuntu cause I really liked the graphics, Also downloaded Kubuntu decided to test that one out. But I abhor M$ and only use it at work other than that I love Tux.:guitar:

N_Nick
November 1st, 2008, 10:11 PM
I haven't been using Linux as a main OS because you got to love OSX. I haven't used OSX since interpid came out but i'm afraid i will have to eventually - (Canon printer/scanner).

I'm proud for not using Win for almost a year tho 8)8)

SDERAWI
November 2nd, 2008, 11:20 AM
After using Ubuntu for 2 weeks.......I saw the light and ran towards it...My PC Is now Windows Free.

Lee83
November 2nd, 2008, 01:54 PM
about 4/5 years ago i saw an ebay ad for suse 10.xx something and bought it as a trial thing without the intention of having anything other than windows,after recieving the 5 disc install package i proceeded to use it on my desktop for about 6 months,after realising that i couldnt do as much as i wanted with it i reverted back to XP,on my laptop ive been dual booting backtrack and xp ever since backtrack beta was released,at the moment im using ubuntu (hardy) on both desktop and laptop as sole OS's,with backtrack 3 runnung from usb,ive also dabbled with the last 2 fedora distros 8 and 9 if memory serves me correct,but found ubuntu a lot easy to configure to the way i like..still undecided whether i like gnome or kde best though???

XDevHald
November 2nd, 2008, 05:07 PM
I use Ubuntu at home with a partition of Windows XP for my wife and at work I use Apple iMac which is my personal work computer.

NEVER ever EVER! going back to winblows. YUCK!

ratmandall
November 2nd, 2008, 05:16 PM
It's all linux from now on baby.
*Well maybe some PC-BSD as well.*

tophero21
November 2nd, 2008, 06:04 PM
I keep xp on my desktop for gaming but yesterday I made the jump and deleted xp off my laptop for a full install of ubuntu. still have a lot of learning to do but for what I use my laptop for, I haven't had any problems yet (and got my middle button trackpoint to scroll so I was happy about that :) )

adieb
November 2nd, 2008, 10:37 PM
I use Ubuntu since 3 years now, but I still got a XP on my maschine because of music creation. I could maybe use Linux-Programs for it, but most usb-audio devices are not running and vst-plugins are not working too.

But this is the one and only thing I need it for, and it sucks, that Hardware Producers and Software Companies still ignore Linux! I hate wasting so much disk-space and boot time just because of one application.

I think most gamers would say the same---

I love linux, espacially ubuntu because it gives you so much control about the things going on on your computer. I cannot imagine a life without a console.
- What? I cannot rename all of these files in this folder at once in Windows?

Like that, you know what I mean....

fredscripts
November 2nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
I still need the windows xp partition to print documents (my printer doesn't have ubuntu drivers) and for Visual Studio C++.

echolink
November 3rd, 2008, 12:39 AM
Well lets see here, i have been working in a total Linux environment since about 2006, I started using Linux in about 2002 when I was in the Marine Corps as some of our systems were Red Hat based. I always thought it was a interesting OS with its speed, stability, and what not. so in my off time in the Marines I would install several Linux Distributions on my machine and messing with them just to learn more about it. I used just about every distribution I could get my hands on and realized that they were all unique in there own way. Whether it was a Debian based OS, or a RPM, or even source like Slackware, or Gentoo. I was fascinated with Linux and what it could do. In about 2006 I decided to make the full migration to Linux, after a completely failed and disapointed experience with Vista, and having no desire to switch back to XP. So I installed Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake LTS, ever since I have kept Ubuntu as my primary OS. However I have kept up and tested, played, and blogged about all the other distributions out there since. I do have to say though I am looking more and more towards Fedora, as the progress with there Development, and Innovation as well ;)

fancypiper
November 3rd, 2008, 01:06 AM
I still need the windows xp partition to print documents (my printer doesn't have ubuntu drivers) and for Visual Studio C++.

Drivers in Linux are in the kernel either compiled in or loaded as a module. You can probably find a module in one of the repositories.

Give Synaptic a thorough search.

riminicat
November 4th, 2008, 05:00 AM
I still have Vista in case I mess something up in Ubuntu and need to get online for a fix. I didn't have a computer for a while though and now that I've got one again I don't use vista very much, I'm still looking for an alternative to dvd shrink that actually works and copies the dvd to an iso.

georgew
November 4th, 2008, 05:33 PM
If I could get my co-workers off of their addiction to exchange, and Office, I would never have to run WinXP, except for the ocassional hardware based reason... I have lots of hardware that requires a windoze box for configuration, or to run a support application. And my cellular network's Internet access is only available under windows... But at home my main workstation is Ubuntu, and all of my servers are Ubuntu. I have one XP machine that I only turn on for a few minutes each week, and my laptop runs XP so I can do email and cellular Internet... Everything else I do on the laptop would be happier on linux.

I have dozens of applications that require XP, but I don't run them but ocassionally, so at home windows stays off for the most part.

My girlfriend is an accountant, and has an addiction to Excel... I have tried to get her to build spreadsheets in oo, but she hates oo.... mainly because she uses all of the subtle excel features, like macros, and linking to spreadsheets of co-workers, etc...

At my office, I have 200 unix machines to administer, but all of the desktops are XP, except for a couple users running osX. Strangely enough, the osX users are the biggest pain because they don't know how to do anything... Well, some of them anyway... three of the osX users are developers that never need my help... But when a sales guy runs osX, it's bad news all the way around. There is an attitude that goes with many osX users. The worst user of all is the one Vista user. He INSISTS that I make vista work, but from 1000 miles away and without following my set-up recomendations... So I install Ubuntu every where I can... but you can only do so much when corporate america runs on windows...

Before Linux was FreeBSD, before FreeBSD was BSDi, before that was AIX...and I hate to talk about what came before that... mostly crap.

riminicat
November 4th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Wow sounds like your job is a living hell. I was student worker in college and I ended up doing all the tech support stuff for windows, they didn't understand that you can't fix windows because it has a strange ability to break itself again.

CntdwnToExtn
November 4th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I've used Linux off and on over the past years (Fedora, SuSE, now Ubuntu), however it's never been more than a month installed.
Main reason due to Dual Boot (absolutely HATE dual booting anything) and if I ran Linux in a VM it would lag to much.
I never had a dedicated box.
I also never really had the time to learn a whole new, completely different O/S due to school/work.

Now that I just work and have no friends *sigh*, I can sit down for a couple hours at a time to a dedicated Linux box and really get into it (just installed Ubuntu a few weeks ago, haven't used Linux for...well over a year now?).

Will I 100% convert to Linux?

No.

I am a Network Admin and I want the knowledge of both Windows and Linux.

t_k
November 4th, 2008, 09:51 PM
For making music still XP and OSX.

For everything else: Linux!

ratmandall
November 5th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Now I'm all unix I feel dirty :(

Gizkaguy
November 5th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Go, Ubuntu! Although, I do like BSD quite a bit.

sudo apt-get install nethack-console
nethack

Navelpluis
November 5th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Use kubuntu, ubuntu & osx
quit using windows about 1,5 years ago.
made me a happy person.

unclejac
November 5th, 2008, 11:09 PM

lol Why is that I wonder ?

Do you by any chance sell MS products for a living ? hehe :p

Frak
November 7th, 2008, 02:24 AM
You use BSD?

Lord C
November 9th, 2008, 03:41 PM
-dirty +clean.

Toshibawarrior
November 9th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I personally use Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Puppy Linux, and I have absolutely no plans to go back to Windows or anything M$ related for the rest of eternity...:)

Check out my blog (link is on my signature) and check it out. I've made a few posts about differences between M$ and Linux...or Window$ and Ubuntu for that matter.

This Linux stuff is awesome!!!!! :popcorn:

Bödvar
November 9th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I completely use Ubuntu since November 2008. I use Intrepid Ibex 8.10

halovivek
November 10th, 2008, 02:33 PM
hi
i have started migrating from windows to linux day by day.
after installing ubuntu i am more in linux than windows. i hope within 3 months i will be fully into ubuntu only.
thanks

rolnics
November 10th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I decided to wipe my windows xp partition about 2/3wks ago, as I haven't used it for ages and saw no need for it wasting space of this machine. Plus I wanted the space to play with Ibex, along with other linux distros.

So for this my home pc, it's windows free, if I need windows then I can always use the other half's laptop.