PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

oddmuse
June 15th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I am a graphic designer / web developer. I'm still getting a handle on Linux, but I made the switch a couple months ago. I am really happy with Ubuntu so far. Some things were an adjustment... took some time to get used to some of the quirks in the OS but I'm getting there. Wouldn't want to go back to Windows in my home office.

Ripfox
June 15th, 2008, 06:03 PM
me

gfern
June 16th, 2008, 02:56 AM
I must say. This was probably the most surprising feature of the whole process... ever since I installed Linux I never ONCE needed to boot windows again. I expected I'd still need Windows throughout an addaptation period, but the dual booting installation turned out to be completely unnecessary.
I really didn't see it coming... but I really never had the need to use windows again. Ubuntu runs perfectly on my X20 Samsung Laptop and OpenOffice is already the standard office application at my university. I became completely productive from day one. As far as media, videos and music goes... I use the lot, torrents, external hard-drivers, mp3 player... and it actually works a lot better with ubuntu.

So count me on: never needed windows again.

ubuntu1sttimer
June 16th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Not yet! Every time I think I am making progress in using only one OS something goes wrong.

Had SAMBA working well on Dapper until the root partition filled and it crashed. Have in the year since, worked my way up to 8.04 and still can't get SAMBA to work again. So I keep my two Windows machines that will share files without any problems.

Also can video edit on Windows but have never been able to get DV and/or DVCAM tapes to import over firewire.

From what I see on these forums I am not alone on either of these problems. Ubuntu is great for a standard Internet machine along with some word processing etc, but needing to get the less than common things going tends to force one to keep a machine around that has another OS available to handle those tasks.

happyxix
June 16th, 2008, 05:21 AM
I removed windows on my laptop and only use ubuntu.. figuring I wont need it for gaming. However on my desktop its strictly windows cause there really is no point in rebooting just for games. Windows isn't bad, retards just give it a bad name.

cardinals_fan
June 16th, 2008, 05:54 AM
I must say. This was probably the most surprising feature of the whole process... ever since I installed Linux I never ONCE needed to boot windows again. I expected I'd still need Windows throughout an addaptation period, but the dual booting installation turned out to be completely unnecessary.

That's what happened to me. I started with Ubuntu, quickly moved to SLAX, checked out Zenwalk, OpenSUSE, Arch, and FreeBSD, and happily settled on Slackware/NetBSD.

the_exodus
June 16th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I used Vista.

Then on my brothers assurance that Wine is fairly reliable anymore I decided to switch all three of my systems to Ubuntu soon upon the completion of my pet project, an impressive build, and the first computer I made from parts.

Just as a quick add on, I also have a year old Toshiba Satellite, and a four year old Toshiba Satellite I got from a friend for playing with/learning Java.

tiggsy
June 16th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Ive switched completely for now, purely by accident. I just can't get XP to work any more on my old drive and I havent devoted the time to get it going on the new drive yet.

It's nice to be able to use php/mysql without having to upload to the server constantly, so i can test at home. saves loads of time.

Ejas12
June 16th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I have used ubuntu since last christmas, but windows is still there, just for one application for managing wireless hardware (propietary stuff sucks) and every time there is a problem with just two radios, I have to turn off ubuntu and boot on XP (annoying isnt it??).
But the games, music, video, and all the stuff to work I use it on Linux.
:lolflag:

guraknugen
June 17th, 2008, 06:42 PM
On my laptop, I have Windows XP on a very small partition (about 15 GB I think), the rest of the HDD is used for Ubuntu (8.04). I think I log in to Windows maybe 5 times a year or something, and I can't really say why…

My desktop machine has never had any kind of Windows, it's a 1000‰ Ubuntu Machine (7.10 at the moment, soon upgraded to 8.04).

Chr0mis
June 17th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I accidentally killed my windows install a while ago, and have not fixed it since. So yeah, I have.

ruru
June 17th, 2008, 08:12 PM
My lab uses mac. But I need 64-bit (R and Java) which work poorly (R) or not at all (Java on PPC-OSX) on mac. So I built a box for home and started doing my real work on Xubuntu about a year ago. I have now switched to Ubuntu Hardy and do ALL my work (not only bioinformatics, but writing, graphics, office stuff - and of course fun things like music/video) on my Linux box.
I dual boot my new Macbook and am 90% in Ubuntu, the OSX partition keeps crashing badly, but I still can't use WPA wireless with the wifi card under Linux.
The G5 at work is still OSX, I have tried several times to dual boot/switch, but the 64-bit capability I need is still not there in the PPC-Linux distros.
I will buy a new main machine for work.
It'll run Ubuntu of course!

Fenris_rising
June 17th, 2008, 08:21 PM
on my PC totally...........i couldnt get the partitioner to behave
so i thought bugger it! have the whole drive Mr Heron :) havent
looked back no regrets. my laptop i have Fluxbuntu and XP. xp only
because theres one program i need to run for a while that wont run
in ubuntu. i love 'linux' its so flexible and stable etc etc etc.

mivo
June 17th, 2008, 08:26 PM
My three actively used computers (work, home) all run with Linux (one with Ubuntu, one with Xubuntu, and one with Arch). No dual-booting. The progress of Wine (for my work application) and the move of my gaming to consoles made it possible.

Outdated
June 17th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Im all Ubuntu considering my XP went 'ka-put' and it was too slow for my very underpowered PC. Ubuntu is great for web browsing, instant messaging, and stuff for a computer as old as mine! [see signature]

tripundra
June 17th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I used to have windows....I lost the intall cd and decided to retry linux (ubuntu 6.10) (I had used 5years before the corel linux.)
And for 2 years I ONLY used Ubuntu.
Then my laptop got mobbed with everything else except the scanner.

I bought a Macbook and the nice thing about it, it does not recognize my scanner, so I gave ubuntu a try... and now is my second boot.

I don't do games, but do a lot of cad... so no problem around software as I use Qcad on both boots.

yamfox
June 17th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Switched? My first computer didn't have ******* in the first place.

wrtpeeps
June 18th, 2008, 02:07 AM
I keep trying to make the switch, but I find that there are programs that I need in windows, and I find myself constantly switching back to it to get certain things done.

chudder
June 18th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I did!!! and have been happier for it!

AnLGP
June 18th, 2008, 02:52 AM
I have. I'm using Debian.

yamfox
June 18th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Then why are you on here? Just kidding, same pakages, same commands, same rules apply :)

carlinuxlearner
June 18th, 2008, 05:14 AM
My new computer (see signature) has never been defiled by a windows disk, been using Ubuntu 7.10 since I built it.
My old computer was a dual boot, but I only used windows for a few games, and now (on my new one (don't use my old on anymore)) I just use WINE (and all it's little helper clones) and I found "Glest" to replace the one game I could run on Linux.

C@RL

alcatraz
June 18th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I switched to Linux some ~4 month ago.
First I had "Linux Mint". An Ubuntu-based distribution with a very small community. Then I switched to Ubuntu Hardy on the release of Hardy.
Now I am 99,99999999999999999% Linux-user.
I still have Windows XP installed on my computer, but I only use it for playing computer games. But I have never time to do that, so... :P

I am very happy with my Linux. I'll never give it away. =)
I have just still problems with regulary freezings...
But I hope I'll find threads for that problem in this forum ;)

liegerm
June 18th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I've been Windows-free for about three to four years now and I do not regret it one little bit. It gives me a sense of freedom running Linux.

I now find it little strange that I was in any way apprehensive about dumping Windows. The only things that caused a problem were my cheapo Canon i250 printer and getting the occasional Windows game to work. But, to be honest, with a little compromise and a quick search on the net, I can either get an answer to get must-have peripherals/software to run, or a good (and usually free) alternative.

I've never looked back and can't really be bothered to try and point out to MS users the error of their ways anymore. If they ask me what I run, I'll tell 'em, but I try not to evangelise. I seriously cannot imagine a scenario which would force me to use any MS stuff at home ever again.

Linux is regaining the most powerful technology the world has seen for the people, by the people.

mivo
June 18th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I keep trying to make the switch, but I find that there are programs that I need in windows, and I find myself constantly switching back to it to get certain things done.

What are some examples? In the first few weeks of Linux only I missed the "safety" of the know, but managed to replace all my software needs, so it was more an issue of emotional attachment. That's probably not the case here - just curious what tasks can't be done well with Linux currently.

wrtpeeps
June 18th, 2008, 01:25 PM
What are some examples? In the first few weeks of Linux only I missed the "safety" of the know, but managed to replace all my software needs, so it was more an issue of emotional attachment. That's probably not the case here - just curious what tasks can't be done well with Linux currently.

They probably CAN be done now as I haven't looked into it recently, but:

1. dvdshrink (something that matches its quality)
2. steam
3. photoshop (i dont like gimp)

To name a few.

Though, if there are alternatives/ways of doing it, let me know! :)

RedMartin
June 18th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I'd like to announce that I am Windows free!

I'd never used a Linux distro until Hardy came out but I gave it a go just a few days after release and since then, bar one afternoon of playing FEAR, I've not used Vista.

So, I installed Hardy 32-bit over it to compare the difference between 32 and 64 bit.

It feels liberating.

twright
June 18th, 2008, 01:44 PM
i still duel boot with vista but never use it. all i use it for is testing stuff

syczu
June 18th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Ubuntu is great, it's way better than Windows for me, but if you want to play games you should take Windows.

alek66
June 18th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I totally switched... I have everything in linux now... i use wine to run a Specific gps program. But the rest its all migrated. =)

talking_walnut
June 18th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Just made the final switch. Was runnin Ubuntu since Dapper on my desktop but had to keep XP on my laptop for college. Finished college a month ago so wiped my laptop clean.

On a side note, I installed Hardy on my laptop first (desktop is running Gutsy and didn't update due to exams) but I wasn't able to connect to my desktop shared folders (samba and nfs) and occasionally my touchpad went crazy for no apparent reason :confused:. Went back to Gutsy and now everything is working perfectly :):):)

richg
June 18th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I switched from 98SE to Linspire/Freespire about three or four years ago. I have switched my desktop from Freespire to Ubuntu 8.04. Since my desktop has removable hard drives, I have a second hard drive with Ubuntu 8.04 on it ready to go if the primary hard drive ever fails. Lost a hard drive about five years ago. I back up data to a external fire wire hard drive. One wireless laptop is running Linspire 5.1.427. It might stay there as it is trouble free.
My newest wireless laptop is an EEE EC 4G which runs Xandros, very small and light weight. My PC of choice when traveling.
I do not mess with the OS. I want to run applicationjs, not operating systems.

Rich

cespinal
June 23rd, 2008, 02:26 PM
I virtually did that a month ago... I have not used Vista for weeks, and I have not felt the need to do so either.

Also, my Vista broke a week ago to some very common "BOOTMGR missing' problem. I have tried some suggested solutions but nothing really works so I'm looking forward to delete Vista completely...

candive
June 23rd, 2008, 05:13 PM
I switched completely with no windows backup to rely on 6 months ago.
You learn faster that way.
Use irc chat and the forums for help.

The more I use Linux distro's the more I dislike windows and everything he stands for, greed and dishonesty.

paddax
June 23rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
I have been solely Linux for the past year, two weeks ago my wife converted :)

MantinoX
June 23rd, 2008, 06:20 PM
I been set up and windows free for 7 months. Not really missing much, if I want to play games there is also xbox 360..

HighFrictionZone
June 23rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
My new computer came with Vista on it. I played around with it for a while, and decided it sucked. Every other computer in the household (aside from my old computer, which ran Xubuntu) ran Windows, so I was in no need of having XP. So I went with Kubuntu and lived happily ever after. Until I tried upgrading to 8.04. It broke my compiz, and later firefox 3. Decided I didn't even USE compiz, so that problem solved. The firefox 3 hanging for several minutes whenever I tried using a menu problem, however, still hasn't gone away. Oddly enough, I installed ubuntu-desktop and Firefox 3 works fine in GNOME, but not in KDE. STILL haven't figured out why this is. But regardless, all my machines are linux.

50words
June 25th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I have been Linux-only for a few months, but I am considering getting a Mac and using OSX, since even simple video editing is near-impossible in Linux. I have tried all the video editors in the repos, and none will allow me to split and splice videos without crashing or ignoring most of the video when rendering. PiTiVi is promising, but doesn't work yet.

rickyrockrat
June 26th, 2008, 03:15 AM
I switched when Windows 2000 was new. What, 6 years ago. Used Fedora Core, but got tired of it breaking, then found Ubuntu (actually Kubuntu), and have mostly enjoyed using it. I do lots of development and interact daily with all the Windows Office formats in my business. I use one box for my home theater to watch DVDs with surround sound on & projector. If I have to test windows, I use Qemu and install Windows2000 (the last copy I had of that monstrosity) into a file on my Linux box, then run Windows in a window. I can surf the net and install whatever I need that way.

To fix firefox3, remove it and install FireFox-2. It is quite stable, but FF3 was broken out of the box on Kubuntu. Check out OpenProject if you need to look at project files. Qcad works well for dxf drawings, and you can convert DWG to DXF using wine and EveryDWG. I use TSE (Semware Editor for Windows) because I have way too much invested macros, and it works flawlessly under wine, complete with cut&paste. Cheers.

sweeneytodd
June 26th, 2008, 03:39 AM
windows is foe widows

suicidejack
June 26th, 2008, 03:55 AM
I completely switched over to Linux. Windows just doesn't do half the stuff I want it do. However, I had the same problem you did with the games haha. I now run Windows in a VM and it works great for all the games I want to play. I also heard there is some kind of emulator that also works great to play games but I have never looked into that. If you are just want to play games on Windows this has worked fine for me so if you want to switch over I don't see why this shouldn't work. There is a free VM called Virtual Box that you should look into if your interested in this. Good luck!!

luisito
June 26th, 2008, 03:57 AM
I haven't touched a windows machine for a few years now.

Besides games, there isn't too much more to miss.

David Ostrom
June 26th, 2008, 04:44 AM
I'm 100% Linux, except for at work. Took me a year to figure it all out, but has been well worth it. I can't think of going back to Windows, not even for games. I don't play games anyway.

deejaypip
June 26th, 2008, 05:16 AM
My dad is a machead so I grew up using macs.
Then, when I bought a laptop for college, I decided that I hated macbooks. (They overheat and it's impossible to force a DVD out of them if they crash, etc.)
So I bought a Lenovo laptop and was happy with it for a year.

Now I've fully switched to Ubuntu and I'm loving my laptop more than ever :)

One place that I work at uses macs. the other place uses windows. my school uses windows.

Jordysportracing
June 26th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Yesterday i hadn't even used ubuntu and seen it only on my mates comp and that same day my Bindows died, so that was the last straw and i installed ubuntu only on my pc. AND I LOVE IT, just yesterday i managed to install wine via Terminal :):):):):)

Kain000
June 26th, 2008, 06:43 AM
I am still pretty much a noob, but with the community's help I've felt my way threw a few bumps, however I still have my desktop duel booting with xp, although Ive put Ubuntu on my laptop, my primary desktop and it's now running my media server, With lack of apple airport extreme utility (no luck in wine either) I still need to be able to update firmware and change passwords if necessary.

Fingers & Thumbs
June 26th, 2008, 09:38 AM
When I installed ubuntu on my laptop last year, I took a leap of faith, completely writing over windows as I was fed up with using an OS which sought to stifle my imagination at almost every step, and when it wasn't stifling my imagination, wanted to charge me for having an imagination.

I never looked back, I am thouroughly delighted with my decision, sure, we clearly have more options available to us than windows users, and I actually feel that the new way of thinking that I had to accquire is much more logical. But it is the philosophy of linux that, to me, makes it worth it's weight in class a contraband (gold just ain't worth that much these days).

It's easy to understand why linux users were linux users in the days before it had matched the major commercial OS's, If I'd known then what I know now, I would have been one too.

Onra
June 26th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I'm Linux on my desktop and MacOSX on my laptop.

Windows lack just a bit for games, but there are more and more solutions. :)

RebateFX
June 26th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I'm pure Linux at work and at home. I work for a Foreign Exchange Broker and since it's the financial world, network security is very important. Linux is the only choice for that.

citizenchris099
June 26th, 2008, 07:28 PM
went Linux about 6 months ago with Yellow Dog on my PS3. I was loving it but found out quickly how limited ppc linux is. Everyone on the YDL forums recomended me getting an x86 pc and slapping Ubuntu on it...well I did just that (xubuntu actually) and I'm in love. If it wasnt for work I would be completely linux all the time.

mikjp
June 27th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I did switch completely to Linux on desktop in 2001. Since then I've used a dozen different distros also in my laptops. Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Debian, SuSE/OpenSUSE, Zenwalk, Slackware, Fedora, RedHat, Vector, Mandrake/Mandriva, DeLi, Damn Small, Gentoo and a couple of BSDs...

Greetings,

mikko
a confessed distrojunkie

Corfy
June 27th, 2008, 03:18 PM
It has been two years since I used Windows at home on a regular basis, but now it is official. I just removed Windows from my home desktop computer, so it is Linux only.

And while my work laptop has WinXP, I dual-booted it with Linux so I can (and do) use Linux when I'm away from work (unfortunately, I do too much at work that requires Windows for me to use Linux at work for any length of time).

fastek
June 27th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Not yet still dual boot. Just cant get a few things working especially lan network to be consistent.

Rick

John.Klockenkemper
June 27th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I have been a full-on linux user since the summer of 2004. All of my personal computers at home run linux. My WAP runs on linux, as well as my firewall and file server.

All the machines that I work with at work all run linux.

My life in linux-centered :)

mgabby
June 28th, 2008, 12:48 AM
At the office, I've made the switch to Ubuntu / Kubuntu with one exception. I'm running WinXP in Virtual Box so that I can edit my MS Publisher files.

At home, I'm totally Ubuntu / Kubuntu. The grand-kids don't know the difference.

Pax et Bonum
Mike Gabby

hanzomon4
June 28th, 2008, 01:52 AM
I switched a long time ago, but now I have a macbook pro. So my desktop is all Ubuntu Gutsy, my macbook pro is OSX/Hardy Dual Boot, and my lil bro's Desktop is XP.However they got a virus while I was away for school and had to barrow a Vista box:~) My family moved right when I left and did not bother to setup the Linux box they had been using. In all fairness I had everything pc related connected to it(DSL,wireless router,Huge Monitor speakers, even a fax/printer/scanner) they where confused. I'm back home for the summer so I set everything back up for them.

BenAshton24
June 28th, 2008, 02:02 AM
I have been a 100% Linux person for two years now. at the start you miss things that are in windows but soon you come to realize how much better Linux is. and theres always a Linux program that does whatever the windows one can do but 10 x better :P for example if you like playing WOW either install it in wine or play on a different mmorpg such as regnum online :P

rabsky
June 28th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Like you i was scared. having Vista on my laptop and seeing how slow it was, tipped me over the edge! Thank goodness for ubuntu i have installed it and love it. No more Windows, it feels like a shackle has been lifted, i have a big smile and can't wait to brag to my friends!
Go for it

starcannon
June 28th, 2008, 05:18 AM
this is the shiznit http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

also be sure to check out ubuntu studio if your wanting a free as in beer open source solution to multimedia editing and creation.

Coplen
June 28th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Just Debian Sid here.

witeczek
June 28th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I switched in 2005. Since 2006 completely with Linux.

VexVishnu
June 28th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I just switched to Linux recently...about a week ago... but I love it. I play UT2004, Wolfenstein: ET, and I'm just trying to figure out how to get Ragnarok and Maple Story running. I don't play them as much so it doesn't really bother me. I completely wiped windows off my comp and use Ubuntu as my only OS.

Zopiac
June 28th, 2008, 08:31 PM
i had 140gigs for windows (GAMING!) and the other 20 for linux. (EVERYTHING ELSE!) but decided, i needed a little bit more space for linux. so i erased windows :D and used sauerbraten for my major gaming. i heard that unreal tournament 3 was probabl going to have an install script for linux, so im really pumped for that, as well. but, windows was just too much b.s. for me to handle.

ladr0n
June 28th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Yeah, I got rid of FreeBSD on my older desktop in favor of arch, so I am now 100% linux. Though I'm probably going to be putting OpenBSD on that box as soon as I get arch fully set up. Shrug.

chestnut1969
June 29th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Ok, currently use:

Desktop: Ubuntu 8.04 (with Crossover 7 so I can use Office 2007 & Visio)
Ultraportable: eeePC 900 Windows XP Home SP3 (all features work with WinXP)
HTPC: Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium (Mythbuntu issues with dual DVB-T Cards)
MAME Arcade Machine: Debian Etch 4.0

So a real mix here due to the application of the machine, and the functionality I require.
Note I also do not really play games, apart from the odd MAME game. The need not to play games allows my main desktop to remain 100% Linux.

Cheers

frustschieber
June 29th, 2008, 01:00 PM
left Win in 4/2007 completely
missing
tax software, ebook readers, video downloads, erotic games
many sites require Win and do not support Linux
living without

jigkin22
June 29th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Hello there,

I got HP DV2810US laptop with ubuntu installed on it. First i bought Proxim ORiNOCO PC GOLD 8470-FC but then i realized that i have Express slot not PCMCIA slot. So I bought D-link DWA-643 Express card and now it's not detecting my hardware even though i tried Madwifi and someother stuff. After a few research, i found that BackTrack 3 supports D-Link DWA 643 so i tried using BT3 Live disk but it gives me only black screen after booting up from CD. Is that means my laptop doesn't support BT3? My disk is fine as it works on my friend's laptop. Basically, I want to do wifi h@ck stuff on this laptop using any linux OS (backtrack, susse, ubuntu, kubuntu...etc). Still i have both Wifi Net card and trying to figure out what should i do now. According to my experience on my friend's laptop, i know that Proxim ORiNOCO PC GOLD 8470-FC card works fine but my laptop doesn't have right slot for that. Any suggestion or idea will be appreciated. many thanks...

arch0njw
June 29th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Home desktop #1: Kubuntu / WinXP -- so I can still play some of my games.
Home desktop #2: Kubuntu -- I mostly use it as a VMware server.
Home laptop: Kubuntu -- it is my portable word processor and web browser.

Work laptop: Ubuntu / Kubuntu / WinXP -- I have some software I need WinXP for and some clients want WinXP + Symantec/McAfee

Halsnalle
June 29th, 2008, 07:12 PM
My main reason for booting Mac OS X now is playing music, since there seems to be no reliable way (yet) to stream music to my Airport Express from Ubuntu (as I haven't managed to install Itunes in Wine).

And that's rather important.

conorsulli
June 29th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Yes and I regret it. Many people say windows has viruses but really after that hitch I dont really know what is so bad about it. Most apps are better under windows, I mean most opensource apps (good ones anyway) are on windows also and a whole lot more. Its more fun to use and honesly the only time I'm happy with ubuntu is after fresh installs, then it goes buggy and things go missing with time. I'm staying determined with Linux "but" I reckon the Linux desktop is still ten years away before it goes anywhere, People say "Linux is ready" and I suppose it is but the distro's are not unfortunatley. that said It couldn't be terrible if im still using it....but it aint no picnic.

drjonze
June 29th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I have completely switched and until three weeks ago, I had never seen a linux system. I can do everything I do in Windows. Ubuntu made me love my computer again.

novaC
June 30th, 2008, 03:42 AM
I made the switch from vista ultimate about a year ago, Couldn't be happier.

Unanimated
June 30th, 2008, 05:03 AM
There are only a few things that keep me from doing it:

My MP3 player only syncs with Windows Media Player.
The Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector only works with Windows.
I'm still a gamer.

I'm thinking, however, that I will wipe the drive that has Windows on it and do a clean reinstall, then remove all the crap that I don't want, and just leave Firefox, Wifi Connector, and WMP 10...

basenvironment
June 30th, 2008, 05:08 AM
only debian

June 30th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Made the conscientious effort to move to Ubuntu about three months ago fulltime. No MS products on the computer. Wife complained at first and then I believe realized that since she only visits myspace and a few other websites she is ok with it. Besides the videos play better on Linux than Windows....

chris_lejeune
July 2nd, 2008, 12:24 AM
I switched to Ubuntu (my first Linux distro) from XP 10 months ago and have no plans to return. My install was a breeze! I switched because XP kept crashing or would bog down, and with other people using the box it was virus prone. I don't turn my computer off for days and I don't notice any performance issues. I am a very happy customer!!

HappyHenry
July 2nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
I've played around with Ubuntu for five years and still stuck in windon'ts state of mind. I have since, last week, wiped off windon'ts and only have Ubuntu now. I am a gamer also. I love the Unreal Tournaments, World of Warcraft etc and they where the only reason i was holding on to the old OS. In just one week of knowing I cant fire up the windon'ts I have discoverd how easy and how much support there is for playing great games on Linux. Yes there are people with problems and there favorite games but for me, Ubuntu plays Unreal Tournament (faster frame rates than windon'ts) World of Warcraft ( a little dicey but just a matter of time and discovery) and with Wine or other non free emulators, (yes i know they say Wine is NOT and emulator but it seems like a great FREE emulator to me) you could play just about any games on linux. If you can install without emulator do so, UT 2004 runes faster installed direct but if use wine it runs a little slower than windon'ts.
IMO, you got to stop climbing through Windows in order to learn how to walk through the front door to freedom found in Linux and Ubuntu, Ubuntu Forums, Ubuntu people, all make the walk to freedom fun! I have learned more about Linux/Ubuntu in the last week(with out any windows around me) than I learned in the past five years, all-be-it I am admittedly a slow learner lol. Have some real fun and throw away your windows. If you really feel a need to spend money on your OS just purchase a emulator of your choice to work with your games and keep using the better OS, Linux.
No ofence to dual bootys, you have good reasons for yourself, its just since i stopped dual booting im learning so much more without that fall-back crutch that was actually disabling me. IMO only.

basenvironment
July 2nd, 2008, 05:23 PM
me

rushikesh988
July 2nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
Friends I Decided to completely swith to ubuntu I just removed Windows OSes from my PC (Vista and Xp) Bt There are some little problems with the Drivers and Application I hope I 'll recover It as much as possible ..

hovzio
July 3rd, 2008, 06:53 PM
hi, I bought a laptop end of 07 with vista preinstalled. I have used windows my whole life and was never really happy with it. It never ran the way I needed it and all these firewall and anti-virus programs with their pop-ups just got in the way. I mean a firewall should be set up properly and then do its thing while letting me go along with my day.(I could go on all day but suffice to say I never thought I got my money's worth.)

Then January this year I decide to take a look at Linux! I installed gutsy and from the first moment on I fell in love. I could fully access the complete file system, manipulate, fix, break, invent and above all; it allowed me to learn. Man, info, lsof, the proc filesystem and so much more.

Aside from that my computer runs rock solid with k/ubuntu. The graphics rock, free software. It is to good to be true.

Thank you to all that are involved in the open source community and to those that made gnu/linux to what it is. I cannot express my gratitude. For me computers got interesting in Jan. 08 with the installation of Ubuntu 7.10 gutsy gibbon.

:):):):):):)

theZoid
July 3rd, 2008, 07:38 PM
hi, I bought a laptop end of 07 with vista preinstalled. I have used windows my whole life and was never really happy with it. It never ran the way I needed it and all these firewall and anti-virus programs with their pop-ups just got in the way. I mean a firewall should be set up properly and then do its thing while letting me go along with my day.(I could go on all day but suffice to say I never thought I got my money's worth.)

Then January this year I decide to take a look at Linux! I installed gutsy and from the first moment on I fell in love. I could fully access the complete file system, manipulate, fix, break, invent and above all; it allowed me to learn. Man, info, lsof, the proc filesystem and so much more.

Aside from that my computer runs rock solid with k/ubuntu. The graphics rock, free software. It is to good to be true.

Thank you to all that are involved in the open source community and to those that made gnu/linux to what it is. I cannot express my gratitude. For me computers got interesting in Jan. 08 with the installation of Ubuntu 7.10 gutsy gibbon.

:):):):):):)

That's so true what you say. I'm trying to get CSS running now with wine as games are the only thing keeping me at dual boot.

jwkolberg
July 3rd, 2008, 08:23 PM
I use ubuntu for everything but recording music.

I haven't even tried any of the linux software, but I've heard its comparable to Pro Tools. I just have to much money invested in hardware and plugins to put in the effort to switch. I'm sure I could find hardware that's compatible but once again, I have already spent thousands of dollars on stuff that works with windows. It's a shame I didn't know about linux 10 years ago, or I would have avoided buying digidesign all together.

It seems like the recording industry will eventually turn to linux as much of it has already turned to apple for stability and speed, and linux is even better than apple.

HansKisaragi
July 3rd, 2008, 08:33 PM
Iv finally completely switched to Linux, after years on and off switching between windows and a random Linux distro.

hairshirt
July 4th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I was completely free of windiz however I'm now installing a dual boot system totally for Day of Defeat as I miss the game so much. Sad really but there you go...

HansKisaragi
July 4th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I was completely free of windiz however I'm now installing a dual boot system totally for Day of Defeat as I miss the game so much. Sad really but there you go...

You could just use Wine for Steam, Steam has platinum status with wine 1.1.0

sgbeamer
July 4th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Been using Linux exclusively for 6 years now. I use Crossover Office to run windows programs. There are 2 ways to do games Cedega and Crossover Games

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/ (Link to Crossover Games)

HansKisaragi
July 4th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Been using Linux exclusively for 6 years now. I use Crossover Office to run windows programs. There are 2 ways to do games Cedega and Crossover Games

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/ (Link to Crossover Games)

Your forgetting Wine.

Wine -> Cedega , id rather donate to Wine then subscribe to Cedega.

Morty007
July 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I want to completely switch but I'm trying to find a backup software that has a GUI. That's what is stopping me.:(

aviceda
July 5th, 2008, 02:51 AM
I use this, Simple Backup Suite
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sbackup/available as a Ubuntu package (I'm pretty sure)

Give it a go,

Tom

Morty007
July 5th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Thanks so much Tom, I'll give it a try!

uarale
July 5th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Because of Adobe Photoshop, i cannot give up Windows, though my main OS is Ubuntu. That's it!

TusharG
July 6th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I was using dual boot till last couple of weeks ago due to my Creative Zen Media player and Logitech Web camera...

I removed my licensed Windows XP from my laptop and now I've single partition of Ubuntu. Banshee and Amarok are able to transfer files between media player without a crash and in Ubuntu 8.04 my webcamera is working excellent. For video chat and voice calls I'm using Skype 2.0 so now I've asked people from my google talk and yahoo chat list to use skype if they want to have video call and voice chat with me.

So I'm 100% on Linux now.

Idzme
July 6th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I only use windows (in virtualbox) for windows moviemaker. It's a pitty that there is no alternative for this very simple program. I tried them all, cinelerra, kini, kdenliev but it's not what I can do with moviemaker. But that is the only thing I use windows for. :)

Dorjin
July 6th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Had to make sacrifices - and still sorting out a media player that does everything i want - but still happy to be rid of windows.

nealamt
July 6th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I want to give ubuntu 8.04 a go. I`ve got on really well with other open sourced stuff like 'open office' and 'firefox'. Trouble is I really am no expert with computers, (idiot category actually). So I`m wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction on how to create a LIVE CD/DVD? I want to try it out first without commiting myself. I have tried out the wubi from Download.com but got in to a bit of a mess with that. I copied that file to cd but that is only an installation cd, not a live cd.

Millar
July 6th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I want to give ubuntu 8.04 a go. I`ve got on really well with other open sourced stuff like 'open office' and 'firefox'. Trouble is I really am no expert with computers, (idiot category actually). So I`m wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction on how to create a LIVE CD/DVD? I want to try it out first without commiting myself. I have tried out the wubi from Download.com but got in to a bit of a mess with that. I copied that file to cd but that is only an installation cd, not a live cd.

Firstly, download the .iso file from http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download (make sure you don't tick the 'Check here if you need the alternate desktop CD. This CD does not include the Live CD, instead it uses a text-based installer.' option.

When you have that file downloaded, open up a disc burning program like Nero (there are free alternatives available just Google). Then choose to burn image to CD (not make a data CD). Put a blank CD-R(W) disc into your CD-R drive that has 700mb of space and then commence the burning.

Alternatively, you could order a free CD via the ShipIt program.

Once complete, put the disc into your PC and restart it. Your computer should automatically load off the disc or saw 'Press any key to boot from CD...', if not enter your bios settings when your computer first turns on and edit the boot order, put CD above Hard Drive in the list.

When the disc loads, select 'Try Ubuntu without any changes to my computer.'

Then if you decide you want to install Ubuntu simply double click on the appropriate desktop icon within the LiveCD environment.

animaniac
July 6th, 2008, 04:18 PM
100% Ubuntu here,

linux is for everyone,

Modelling: Blender, etc..

Video and Sound edting: Ubuntu studio...

CAD: Catia, etc...

Graphics: Inkscape, GIMP (yes it is better than photoshop.)

GAMES: gamers should get consoles, to either play on exclusively, or just play the games that wont run under cadega.

Office: OpenOffice, PDF Editor.

HappyHenry
July 6th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Because of Adobe Photoshop, i cannot give up Windows, though my main OS is Ubuntu. That's it!

Have you tried gimp. If that dosen't work I have seen stated here, in the forums, that Photoshop, seven, can work with Wine. I haven't tried it yet. I am experimenting with Gimp still. The first few years Gimp didnt seem like something i would compair with Photoshop but after playing with the latest version im finding it is quite comparable. We need to make more plugins for it but the more folks that use it = the more stuff we'll have for it. If its been a while since you tried it you may want to give it a shot and see the newest one.:rolleyes:

Lord Xeb
July 6th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I almost never use windows unless I have to.

Saytr
July 7th, 2008, 05:29 AM
blah
Vista played with my hard drive, said it was corrupted. then i asked them how to fix this issue and they said to pay 59 dollars for support for Home Premium 0_0. so i said im not gonna deal with this anymore and switched to Ubuntu as soon as possible. as you can see my specs in my sig, you can see that im a mid gamer :). i play CSS, BF1942, Sim City 4 and many others now too on Ubuntu(i just need to fix some games)

SanskritFritz
July 7th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I want to completely switch but I'm trying to find a backup software that has a GUI. That's what is stopping me.:(http://areca.sourceforge.net/

Zopiac
July 7th, 2008, 05:23 PM

GIMP just doesnt cut it? works for me...other than the multiple windows for brushes and undo, image, and 'commands(?)', it works as a perfect replacement for me

Corfy
July 7th, 2008, 06:50 PM
GIMP just doesnt cut it? works for me...other than the multiple windows for brushes and undo, image, and 'commands(?)', it works as a perfect replacement for me

Well, I know we are pretty much stuck with Photoshop at the office due to its CMYK support (which is kinda necessary for a commercial printing operation). But Photoshop isn't the only program holding us to Windows at the office.

For what I want/need at work and at home, however, GIMP takes care of me perfectly. (I use GIMP on Windows at work, but then, I don't make anything to be printed, I do mostly work for the web when it comes to photos and images.)

Heck, we had a situation the other day at the office with an image. Photoshop CS crashed every time it tried to open a certain TIF file. I opened the picture in GIMP, did a "Save As" and renamed the new image. Photoshop had no trouble opening the "new" file. Just another example of using a free program to do a job that a $700 program can't handle.

solitare
July 7th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I started with a mac and then to windows because of software. then found linux and ubuntu which is all i need EXCEPT for a film editor... so I'm back with the mac (dual boot with ubuntu). never been able to get Cinerella to work which is a shame....
In my eyes it's the one thing linux really needs (even something in the realms of iMovie would be good!).

maclin
July 7th, 2008, 10:01 PM
i installed Ubuntu when xp crashed :( but Ubuntu is way better :):):):):)

cversion7
July 7th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I only use windows (in virtualbox) for windows moviemaker. It's a pitty that there is no alternative for this very simple program. I tried them all, cinelerra, kini, kdenliev but it's not what I can do with moviemaker. But that is the only thing I use windows for. :)

Try this: http://www.openmovieeditor.org/

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but Movie Maker is one of the reasons I went back to Windows (now trying to work my way back).

Eddietel
July 8th, 2008, 04:02 AM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.
I still maintain a dual boot system for only one reason, I occasionally need to use Adobe CS and I still haven't figured out my Hauppauge PVR 150 tuner isses in Ubuntu. Once I do it's bye bye windows forever. PS my 'puter runs 50% faster and never need a reboot - except for updates.

ryaxnb
July 8th, 2008, 06:41 AM
No way! I like diversity. I wish I had Amiga OS 4, Mac OS 9, System 7... I VM Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP, and am intending to get NT 3.51 and NT 4 up, and possibly Mandrake-8.1. Linux nostalgia, it was the first version of Linux I succesfully installed, but with no Internet on target machine, deadweight. Stupid WinModem. :(.

My current setup is as follows:

iMac Core 2 Duo
* VMs, 95, 98 , 2000, XP, and soon DOS, W3.1, FreeDOS, NT 3.51, NT 4, and others
* Runs two OSes: Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" and Windows Vista.
* I use about 83-93% Mac OS X.
2.16 Ghz Core 2, 1GB RAM

iBook G4
* My laptop...
* Runs Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. Pure Mac, small HD (40GB) precludes chance of Linux dual-boot. Besides, I like Mac OS. :)
* 512MB RAM

Compaq POS laptop
* Beast: Broadcom, crappy ATI Integrated, and poor suspend support, not to mention lackluster sound support in Linux. All problems appear to (finally!) have been solved by Ubuntu 8.04.
* Runs Ubuntu 8.04 (main OS) and Mandriva 2008.1 PowerPack
* No Windows anywhere!
* Does use Wine. Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Photoshop 7.
* ~1.5 Ghz Celeron M, 512MB RAM (not enough!), 80GB HD

P4 Desktop
* Weird graphics need weird drivers
* P4 1.8 Ghz or so, 512MB RAM, 80GB HD, DVD-ROM/CD-RW
* Uses Wine, Office, Dreamweaver, need to install Photoshop 7 and Fireworks. Could uninstall Office XP, I don't use it.
*Ubuntu 8.04.
* I wiped a borked install of Windows when I got this hand-me-down computer. Since then, Windows-free!

No real high-end machine, but I think of my flagship and VM central computer as my iMac, my iBook G4 as my tiny easy laptop, and the Compaq as a workhorse Linux Box, and testbed for low-resource new Linuxes.
I have the P4 as a hobby. :cool:

Overall, Linux is a thrill ride for me, where I can change my DE regularly, work with different WMs, and change themes and programs to match my mood. Not to mention tons of casual games (none of my computers are particularly up for serious gaming anyway) and 20000+ packages at my fingertips. :D

basenvironment
July 8th, 2008, 06:48 AM
switch? switch from what? Is there another OS? Surely you jest? Is it better than linux - no cost, various distros to choose from, free to share, free to change, tons of software, drivers included, infinitely tweakable, no bloat, and so forth? Let me know because that would really be COOL!

Masoris
July 8th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I still need windows softwares (game or educational software), so I run Windows XP on Virtualbox or VMware. Wine also good, but some softwares doesn't working yet, especially non-English, CJK softwares.

vikramjeet.singla
July 8th, 2008, 08:03 AM
as i am not very much proficient in linux so i still need windows to work. however ubuntu is great to work with :)

favadi
July 8th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I have to use Windows Xp for my Blackberry. And playing CS 1.6 on Xp better than on Ubuntu. :D

peterlauri
July 8th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I haven't used Windows for a long time. With exceptions if I am at a friends place and need to surf and they happen to have XP or Vista installed. And sometimes my client force me to open a Windows machine to write some docs that they require to have it in perfect MS Word format :)

Rahmat
July 8th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I started using ubuntu 6.06LTS GUSTY in 2007. I rarely use windows cos I get to customise my bubntu to my taste. I have the Hardy as my main OS on my machine.

I tell you, with linux (ubuntu precisely) you will be astonished!!!

One time experience and you are hooked!!!

cheers.

chives
July 8th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I ditched widows a couple of years ago ! Suddenly computing was fun and enjoyable. Does anyone miss the blue screen ? Certainly not me ! !
I feel that Linux is the way forward for anybody with a simple grasp of software. I know several people older than me - I am 77 years old - that run Linux and enjoy programming.
Have had some fun with II alpha, but overall a first rate OS.

chives.

squidmaster
July 8th, 2008, 02:27 PM
only have 1 windows XP partition out of 4 computers and it's only so I can work in CS3 and play some games.

linux > *
if only it had photoshop and WINE worked better with games.

basenvironment
July 8th, 2008, 04:00 PM
switch? switch from what? Is there another OS? Surely you jest? Is it better than linux - no cost, various distros to choose from, free to share, free to change, tons of software, drivers included, infinitely tweakable, no bloat, and so forth? Let me know because that would really be COOL!

:lolflag: wait....are you serious....:shock:

Prefix100
July 8th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I just jumped straight in when first installing, completely wiping my hard disk.

However, I often regret not keeping my XP partition when first installing Ubuntu.

I don't get good enough performance in games through wine, which is quite frustrating.

Still trying to convince my family and friends that Linux is superior.

dwshard
July 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Believe me I really want to go to Ubuntu "full time" but I am a .NET developer so that is kind of hard. Mono/Mono-develop is just not quite fully there yet. I also love to game so that is an issue. Right now I run a mixed environment.

Vista Home Premium - DVR and TV watching only
Windows XP Laptop1 - modile computing
Windows XP Laptop2 - modile computing
Windows 2003 - Web Server
Windows XP - Gaming only
Windows XP (Virtual) - Dev box

Ubuntu 8.04 - Work horse general purpose machine
Ubuntu Server (Virtual) - MySql DB1
Ubuntu Server (Vurtual) - SubVersion

Xubuntu Server - MySql DB2
Xubuntu - web server (PHP Dev)
Xubuntu - web server rollover (PHP Dev)

That is pretty much it.

jubilee33
July 11th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I just completely switched to Ubuntu Hardy a few days ago. Everything is going well. I'm not missing Windows at all.

phantomjoker
July 11th, 2008, 03:24 PM
yer - switched to Linux - Ubuntu 3 days ago - and completely removed windows after a malicious virus attack which crippled it. happier than ever :)

MedellinManDem
July 11th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I've effectively switched over for good since about Feb. Now both of my computers are running some version of *buntu.

johnystevenson
July 11th, 2008, 06:31 PM
hi there my first post on the forum and second day grappling with 8.04. This newbie would remove windows completely if my open uni course was available in linux. oh well.....one day

enchance
July 11th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Only my desktop is XP since I use it for my design work, but after that I move over to my laptop which is 100% Linux Mint since 2007. If WINE could run Adobe CS3 flawlessly then I'd probably wipe out my XP like dirt on a table.

kk0sse54
July 11th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I completely switched over, well I did but now I'm mixed again between Linux and BSD :)

RavUn
July 11th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I'm still hanging onto my windows box. It's unfortunate because it's a better computer than the other one I'm using, but I don't have my XP installation CD and I'm too scared to give up on windows completely. I turn it on to get old files or for websites that only support IE. I hate turning it on, though. It has so much crap it's crazy slow now.

mwhit74
July 11th, 2008, 07:47 PM
how did you do that for $460 cause i want to build something about like that but so far i think it's gonna run me $750 to $ 850

PeterP24
July 11th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I did, last year and I'm proud of it. I have a coleague who didn't make it :D so I think this is a serious thing ( to switch completely ). Now I consider myself a Ubuntu fanatic but I don't think that if you need ******* for some reason (games, some platform bounded program, etc.) you should switch to Ubuntu or any other Linux distribution. For me it just happen that I've found in Linux replacements for every program I've used in *******. I just put some effort to understand some Linux things, but hey - freedom comes with a price.

Enjoy your Linux distribution

Peter

lib99
July 12th, 2008, 02:03 AM
I'm 100% Ubuntu (8.04) on my Dell Inspiron 9400 for almost 2 months. I love it and I love it! Was using Windows XP. Aside from some minor nuisances, it's been great. Slowly I peel away at the minor stuff as time permits.

Roasted
July 12th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I use Ubuntu for everything. Music, pictures, samba, documents, there's so much I use it for.

However, I keep XP around on my desktop so I can still play counterstrike.

I also am considering on putting Vista back on my laptop (alongside Ubuntu) for the sake of having Vista to use once in a while. I mean, I have to be logical about it. I'm a computer technician. Sooner or later people are going to ask me questions about fixing things in Vista, so I need to know the OS.

But besides the reason of knowing it to fix it, I really have no need for it. Except for the fact, on my laptop, I haven't completely figured out my wireless. But other than that, yeah, it's a dead OS to me.

querent
July 12th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I'm on nothing but ubuntu. I love it for the anarchist spirit (anti coercion, not anti organization). I play roms when i'm drunk and feel like i need to game...got diablo II to work with wine, though.

I'm about to switch my mom over from vista, too. so one more notch on the handle.

The game thing is, i bet, the biggest impediment to winning over a large portion of our more intelligent sisters and brothers.

Raleford
July 12th, 2008, 06:34 AM
I clean-installed Ubuntu on my lappy a couple days ago. First I bought a kit thing (which had a liveDVD and an introductory book/magazine thing) so that I could experiment (I'd tried about a year ago on my old comp to a great failure. I tried to dual-boot alongside XP a basically skeleton version of Debian with KDE interface, but I have a wireless network and I couldn't get the card to work with the hardware, so I had no internet and an OS that basically just lets me have a nice-looking screen-saver) and we recently built a gaming PC which still had about 500 GB of unallocated space, so it was just asking to be played with when I saw the bundle. well I installed it on that PC and played with it, then I decided that it was definitely workable for my normal use, so I backed up everything I thought I would want from my lappy and then "bye bye Windows Vista" I'm still really new to Linux, but I'd like to think I'm not computer illiterate, and the problems I've had so far, they've all been eventually taken care of (the biggest hurdle by far was getting the wireless to work. Laptop without wireless is kinda pointless these days. That took a lot of time, and a lot of reading and tinkering, and eventually a reinstall of the Feisty that came in the kit (I'm using Hardy now, I upgraded right away on nearly every install, as I couldn't get much of anything to work with 7.10)) I'm fairly familiar with Windows and how it works, and I will probably try to keep up with it more-or-less. I doubt I'll load the ubuntu up again on the gaming PC that I was first playing with it on (high-end gaming PC with Linux is about equally as pointless (or at least overkill) at this point, haha) My lappy is not a gaming system by any means though, so I figured it wouldn't really matter. I use it for school, and just general use: IM, internet, travelling movies, etc.

So basically, I completely switched, but I didn't. I also migrated my music library to the gaming PC as I have a zune, and I didn't forsee any convenient way to connect that, and I don't really need to have it on my lappy instead of on a desktop at my house.

Somewhat of note, though slightly off-topic, my brother is trying to dual-boot install from the liveDVD on to his laptop and he's having a horrendous (maybe a bit exaggerated) time trying to get it to work. It was fine to just run it from the disk, but it's not wanting to install easily, so everyone's experience does seem to be very different with Linux.

IwarV
July 16th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Fully migrated on main PC in December 2007 (from XP).
I won't knock XP though. In all the years I was using it I don't remember it ever crashing on me. Honestly.

The other PC remains XP so that my kids can play their games.

Wife wasn't too enthusiastic initially. Mainly because she always was a M$ zealot and she also bought into this whole iTunes thing. But now that there are oodles of DRM free download sites and with Amarok who needs iTunes?

Just the other week she actually expressed her amazement about Ubuntu and how mature this free software is.

Welcome to the revolution, darling!

carleeldean
July 16th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I have used Ubuntu for most part since 6.06 LTS. I have switched the pc in my business to Ubuntu with 7.04. I maintain a Vista partition on my personal desktop to for the hell-of-it and an XP partition on my laptop for the RARE occasion that a service or business transaction requires it .. pretty much living on linux since 2005. So I'd say 95% at least .. Thank you Ubuntu Team. You guys are really great. Thank you Ubuntu community whose support is invaluable and I believe one of the key ingredients to Ubuntu's success.

LittleLORDevil
July 16th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I have completely switched for personal use. Though I just purchased an iPhone and for minor updates I have to boot up the XP partition. As far as school since I am a CS major they like us to use *nix based OS's anyways.

Yannick Le Saint kyncani
July 17th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I'm still hanging onto my windows box. It's unfortunate because it's a better computer than the other one I'm using, but I don't have my XP installation CD and I'm too scared to give up on windows completely. I turn it on to get old files or for websites that only support IE. I hate turning it on, though. It has so much crap it's crazy slow now.

That's a very good reason to go gnu/linux only I'd say, because that way, there is no turning back. So you _will_ find suitable replacements for all programs you were using before.

If you hate turning ms windows on, I'd say you're ready to take the jump, so jump already, there is nothing to be afraid of :)

Plus, once you're ubuntu only, there is no reason to be scared of ditching windows any more because the deed is already done :)

That's what I did 8~10 years ago anyway and I have not looked back. Now distros like ubuntu are so easy to use while still being so powerful that I don't think going gnu/linux only can still be called a jump anyway, just a step in the right direction ;)

mick316
July 17th, 2008, 01:18 AM
All but, the only thing I use ******* XP for (Virtualbox) - Is to print directly to CD on my IP3000 Pixma. This is the only thing I cannot master in Ubuntu.

Blahblah54
July 17th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I use linux for nearly everything now, but there are a few things here and there that I find myself turning to windows for.

kspncr
July 17th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Once I upgraded from Gutsy to Hardy on my laptop, I got rid of my Windows partition (couldn't stand Vista anymore).

But on my desktop I still dual boot with XP. Mostly for games. In general, though, I use Ubuntu.

bilijoe
July 17th, 2008, 06:28 AM
I have a network with 4 computers. When I installed Ubuntu, around the first of the year, I left Windows XP on the machine that had been my printer server (now I have a new, network-ready printer, so mostly, that machine is just a doorstop), I set up my laptop as a dual boot Linux / XP system, I left XP on my son's computer (which never gets used, because he's never here), and I made my best machine, my desktop, exclusively Ubuntu Linux.

When I read the title of this thread, I got to thinking, "when was the last time I actually used Windows?" And ya know what? I can't remember. Seems like I switched completely, quite some time ago, and didn't even realize it. I think that says it all. Though I still have Windows, just a few mouse-clicks away, I seem to have completely forgotten it's even there. Waddayaknow.

geogur
July 17th, 2008, 07:16 AM
did it ubuntu and xandros(eeepc) all i really need..g.i have tried slackware redhat9.0 even though xandros is red hat it`s not red hat linux to me is learning far more about my pc than ever possible with the other way pay as you play ? i have found that linux people are so helpfull why go some wear else for knowledge ?

HunterThomson
July 17th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I am studdying for A+ and am vary up set I have to learn how much Window$ sucks in order to pass the test.... Window$ dosn't hadle RAM vary well at all. Untill they started useing NTFS they didn't even have a way to set file permitions! We need more people useing Linux so I don't have to lern all this crap. I am over window$. Next I am going for Network+, Linux+, LPIC 1-2-3, CCNA->CCNP

TuxguinIowa
July 17th, 2008, 09:43 AM
If it weren't for school, I would have completely switched by now. Unfortunately the college I am attending will be teaching me how to do html,css,asp,etc.

Now I don't want you to think I am bowing down to the corporate giants. I am not.

I am an independent developer of websites who does most of his scripting in PHP, HTML, CSS, and Javascript. I fully embrace the open source community and as soon as I am done with school you can be sure I will be letting my Vista Exploder box go the way of some extinct species.

Viva la Ubuntu and let's hope it has as bright of a future as it is impressing me today with!

cocopuffz
July 17th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I'm 90% linux now. I still have a laptop from work and they require IE7 for the corp apps, and I still run XP in Virtualbox for my Smartphone and I boot into XP for games. It's hard not to when games like Assasins Creed, Half-life 2 and Crysis look so good.

If Ubuntu/Mint had support for my smartphone( win mobile 2003se) & could run the same games, I'd be up to 98% =) My main box, my personal Laptop and my family's box's are all Linux now. They didn't even break a sweat... they love it.

jakechance
July 17th, 2008, 01:11 PM
At work it's Windows until I get Pidgin and Evolution to play nice with the exchange server our emails are on (Any advice or guides?).

At home it's Xubuntu on my 4+ yr old laptop and it works great. Most games I play are on my Nintendo DS :-p so that's not much of a problem.

Adler
July 18th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Hi All,

I'm the biggest supporter of Ubuntu / Linux Mint that there was.

Sad to say I've not been able to get these latest versions going.

Back to OpenSuSe, which is sweet on my Notebook.

Best Regards,

Adler

rushikesh988
July 18th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Hi friends,
Yesterday I installed Ubuntu On my PC With no other OS..
So I got a question that "How many of my friends are also completely Moved to linux/ubuntu?" ..Tell me any reason for Why You love this your OS ?

If you keep Dual boot to share with windows Then tell me what Feature In windows have attracted you To use Windows Os??

UbuntuNerd
July 18th, 2008, 04:04 AM
I have 4 computers in my home network all of them had windows(vista and xp) now only one has vista the only reason my finance needs it for school and i love photoshop cs3 extended other then that I have no use for the hustle of running virus scanners and such windows complications plus I believe Linux will eventually replace windows I think that sums it up!!

anjilslaire
July 18th, 2008, 04:23 AM
I've got a dual-boot, but honestly can't remember the last time I booted XP, and haven't bothered to reformat the partition yet. My wife's laptop is strictly Kubuntu only, as is the new Inspiron I recently set up for my Uncle at his request.

I do have another system supplied by work with Windows (for working at home), so I have no real need for Windows on my own hardware.

projecthikari
July 18th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Less than 3 days ago, I was running all windows...

I did the live CD for an hour, and I was sold. I dumped windows and now I'm an Ubuntu exclusive. It just... works for me.

Plus, I believe that the human brain loves to learn. You can completely learn Windows in less than 6 months... Theres so much to learn and discover when you're using Linux. I haven't felt so fulfilled since school ended a few months ago. When I learn things, I have a purpose. hehe:KS

jamesrfla
July 18th, 2008, 04:27 AM
I saw another forum with the same question hear. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=6894&highlight=Completely+Moved
You might be able to find some answers hear.

|{urse
July 18th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Technically noone has really moved to linux completely (unless theyve never had cellphones or internet access and also dont heed traffic lights (yes, those are controlled by servers, sometimes linux sometimes windows)and only have computers running linux), A lot of isp's and webmasters and cell service providers etc. etc. use M$ based stuff. The upside of that is A LOT of those same type service providers use linux! So comically every windows user is a linux user that doesn't know they are using linux =) crazy stuff huh?

TSS
July 18th, 2008, 04:35 AM
I've switched completely. :-)
(If you count all Linux)

bodhi.zazen
I saw another forum with the same question hear. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=6894&highlight=Completely+Moved
You might be able to find some answers hear.

I was thinking the same thing.

Threads merged.

nachosDP
2months I built this 64bit system and installed vista64 sp1, nothing but crashes and bsod's left and right, before that i used xp and tried suse but it wasent happening at the time. Now im all about ubuntu, compiz is fantastic, my only beef is that simple things like moving a file can turn into major complications, but its fun in a way and you get to know how it all works, because it is more involved. oh yeah i had to install xp in virutalbox just because its funny :)

tuxxy
July 18th, 2008, 04:37 AM
I have got a vista drive somewhere although its unusable as it regularly D/C's from the internet every 15 - 30 mins, been like that since install and I know of other people who suffer also suffer this problem, its ridiculous.

DOnt know how good this would be for gaming anyway, ill leaved that for my PS3, and its not the router as every other OS runs fine.

aysiu
July 18th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I've moved this thread to the Cafe from the support area of the forum.

pi.boy.travis
July 18th, 2008, 05:11 AM
The only app I still use is iTunes. I would use Wine but iTunes needs Quicktime and has other weird dependencies. The minute a Linxu version is released (if ever) I will erase Vista forever MUHAHAHAHA! Even if it means having a little proprietary software on my system, I would do anything to kiss Microsoft goodbye! :)

Bethra 0_0
July 18th, 2008, 10:10 AM
The only app I still use is iTunes. I would use Wine but iTunes needs Quicktime and has other weird dependencies. The minute a Linxu version is released (if ever) I will erase Vista forever MUHAHAHAHA! Even if it means having a little proprietary software on my system, I would do anything to kiss Microsoft goodbye! :)

I've just switched mt laptop to Hardy Heron from XP after one crash too many. My only other machine is an Aus EeePC which of course runs a version of KDE. I miss a couple of programs; I can't get one of my favourite games, (Snood), or Irfanview to run under Linux, even though I've recently discovered WINE. There are other machines in the house running *******, if I get desperate I can borrow one ;)
One thing I don't miss is Quicktime as it the lack of it means I don't get all of the distracting moving ads on Jigzone!

rushikesh988
July 19th, 2008, 05:05 AM
I've moved this thread to the Cafe from the support area of the forum.
thanks brother This is helping me to find more answers of my questions

t0p
July 19th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I kept a ******* XP partition on my box for a long time. But I hadn't booted into it since installing Gutsy. So when I installed Hardy, a week or so ago, I scraped the XP off my hard drive and let ubuntu have the whole thing. And it's sweeeet!!! :)

daucourt
July 19th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I still use Microsoft Money 2000 version through VirtualBox OSE.

I am expert user of MS Money, and yes we are in 2008, and competition like Gnucash or KMyMoney fail to reach same functions of 2000 version of MS Money. Of course I will not speak of other software that are intended for dummy users.

RFScheer
July 20th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I still use Windows for 3D CAD (Alibre) and some embedded AVR programming but otherwise it's all Ubuntu.

zipperback
July 22nd, 2008, 05:09 PM
I run ONLY Linux on my computers. No Window$ on any machine I own. EVER.

- zipperback
:popcorn:

basenvironment
July 22nd, 2008, 05:42 PM
I switched to GNU+Linux

guraknugen
July 22nd, 2008, 05:54 PM
I actually used Windows today, converting some AVI clips, since there doesn't seem to be any decoders for Linux. The format seems to be Indeo 5.1 or something like that.

I actaully installed libavifile-0.7c2 today, thought it would work but of course it didn't.

lastbyte
July 22nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
I would like to but there still 3 programs that I need windows XP to run. Wish I could drop windows like a hot potato.

Technogenius
July 22nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
The only reason I keep XP is Flight Simulator X. I can't wait until they get that working in WINE.

Ekolost
July 22nd, 2008, 08:05 PM
I only use Linux

dcharry
July 22nd, 2008, 11:17 PM
I use Ubuntu on my desktop as my full workstation(everything including programming, office suites , gaming, etc), and my laptop running HDTV just for watching tv program in windows xp, and nothing more.

Vakman
July 22nd, 2008, 11:18 PM
I keep Windows there in case my games (Ie. Guild Wars) stop working on Ubuntu. Like now for example with Ubuntu 8.04, I have an ATI card. So yeah, I use Ubuntu as much as possible.

brion@cbkidder.com
July 24th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Only two things keep me chained to Windows. One is my Brother label printer will not work under Wine in Linux no matter what, and two I can't find a Citrix thin client driver that will drive my company's virtual Windows machine from within Ubuntu.

fillintheblanks
July 24th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Im 99% switched over, theres a process or two I still need to run under XP.

also from what I understand zmodeler doesnt work in linux due to some directx issue

Windnsea26
July 24th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I think once I make sure everything works for me in Ubuntu I will migrate from XP completely on my Thinkpad. The only thing I need to make sure it works is my printers, Novatel Wireless modem and VPN access to work. Once that's figured out, I'll make the switch. I think the community is good enough that when I need help, I can always find an answer so I don't feel so bad being away from Windows.

motang
July 24th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I have been complete Ubuntu user for years now. I still use XP at work (because I have to). I do have a Windows XP Pro box at home that doesn't get turned on at all, but the only reason I have it is for StarCraft II and Diable III whenever they come out. Other than that I have Ubuntu running full time on my new desktop and laptop.

I say dual boot, have the Windows partition just for your games and do everything else in Ubuntu. ;)

YaroMan86
July 24th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I was exclusively Linux for months. But I have since installed Windows XP one its own hard disk simply so I could play Sims 2, which doesn't work on WINE at all.

But I'm hardly on Windows. I promise! And if Sims 2 ever runs on WINE you can bet I'll convert that second HDD into something Linux-y. Maybe my LFS project, mayhaps.

saratchandra
July 24th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I still kept my windows installation because in case of any problem, my ISP support guys ask me to boot to windows.

jimmywu013
July 24th, 2008, 07:30 PM
http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20080522164112313/Games-Part2.html

not much of a gamer myself, but nexuiz keeps me occupied whenever I am bored
no need to stick to expensive proprietary games :)

VPz
July 24th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I completely switched over about 2 weeks ago because of security issues. I was constantly paranoid that some one was on my Windows Vista phishing for info. So, I decided to look for an OS that had great security features, which led me to Linux. My friend tried to persuade me to join the MAC Revolution, but I said nah...I like my PC and I want to use an OS on my PC. The answer to that is Linux! and here I am!

Linux and Ubuntu :guitar:

So far so good...and I'm learning more about my computer within the last 2 weeks than I ever did from years and years of using Microsuck Windows. :lolflag:

losciloop
July 24th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I completely switched over about 2 weeks ago because of security issues. I was constantly paranoid that some one was on my Windows Vista phishing for info. So, I decided to look for an OS that had great security features, which led me to Linux. My friend tried to persuade me to join the MAC Revolution, but I said nah...I like my PC and I want to use an OS on my PC. The answer to that is Linux! and here I am!

Linux and Ubuntu :guitar:

So far so good...and I'm learning more about my computer within the last 2 weeks than I ever did from years and years of using Microsuck Windows. :lolflag:

I have to agree with the last part whole heartedly

Roasted
July 25th, 2008, 06:15 AM
For the last three years...

XP = Games.

The second I'm done on the game, I reboot.

Everything else = Ubuntu.

MagisterJoe
July 25th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Same as the above poster. My laptop and file server both run Linux all the time, save for an 1-3 hours a week when I boot the file server to XP so I can play HL2 or TF2 with my roommates.

sambarluc
July 25th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I sometimes used Windows until a couple of months ago, just to use an external wi-fi device. Then, I got a virus. I formatted windows partition, and never regretted it!

liveB
July 25th, 2008, 02:21 PM
It took 2 or 3 tries to make the switch (Hardy finally fixed all my problems). I've been Windows free for 3 months, although my Ubuntu machine exists peacefully on a wireless network with 2 Windows XP machines (can't get the kids to switch -- games). I do occasionally have to use one of the Windows machines to run a utility program for designing scenery for x-plane.

I saw a related poll about games and its importance to Ubuntu's market share. See above comment about kids, but MY game is x-plane and it works very well in ubuntu. I do miss having sounds though -- programmers are still working on it and it seems sounds and games are problematic in Ubuntu.

ASUS P5NE-SLI, Intell Q6600, 4GB 800MHZ DDR2, 320GB HD, Nvidia 8600GTXXX, Ultra MD3 Media, 2x ASUS DVD RW, Viewsonic 22" LCD all wrapped in an Ultra UV reactant case with lights.

LittleLORDevil
July 25th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I have been dabbling back and forth with Ubuntu and Windows, I think this weekend I will quit cold turkey. The only problem I foresee is getting updates for my iPhone and iPod.

lumix700i
July 25th, 2008, 02:37 PM
In the past years I used winxp just for fullfilling my gaming desire. But then I moved to console gaming, and the only system I ran in my machine is linux. Right now, computer gaming is just too expensive for me..

jordilin
July 25th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I would say I'm 99% MS windows free. The other 1% windows because of msn and webcam that I need to use it once a week but because it runs better. Even at work I use ubuntu 8.04. With Hardy, I would say Linux is 100% ready for desktop and laptop :guitar:

dominiquec
July 25th, 2008, 02:42 PM
No Windows whatsoever. Made the switch in 1999 with Red Hat 6.0 on my home computer, then all releases through Red Hat 9, Fedora Core 2, SuSE 8... Got started down the Ubuntu path with 5.04 in 2005.

scrime
July 25th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I use Ubuntu at home and Windows XP at work, I play around allot with my PC and Windows breaks too quickly for my needs. When I program C# in Visual Studio at home I run Windows in a VMWare virtual machine, I also have to run Windows vm´s because of my studies. I´m studying the MCSE and am the admin for 6 Windows servers and a domain of about 50 computers and 3 remote sites. Some days I want to cry because Windows sucks so much. I´ve gotten to the stage where when someones computer messes up I want to tell them that´s what they must enjoy whilst running Windows and want to tell them to sort out there own problem because I sick and tired of fixing Windows computers. Our small company spends so much money on MS licensing that it makes our business hard to be profitable in a tough market. I feel MS is eating the fruit of our company.

The only thing I´m not happy about with Linux is some lame game developers don make their games native Linux. I will not purchase a game (or any hardware or software) that doesn´t have native Linux support.

zithedragon
July 25th, 2008, 06:08 PM
my laptop started with windows vista(hate it)and now i have it duel boot with ubuntu.....i still use the vista side but only for art things like 3Ds MAX 2009 that only run on windows even when trying to use wine

peromalosutra
July 25th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I had dualboot for over 2 years. I first started with Debian, but soon moved to Ubuntu 6.10, later 7.10. I had XP on other partition and altough I haven't actualy used it I was reluctant to formate it completely (you never know). But the "problem" solved itself when XP crashed when I was trying to install Quake4. It can now boot into XP again, but it will crash in the matter of seconds after booting. So I will know reformat entire hard drive and assign that space to linux partition. :)

L815
July 25th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I still have Vista as a backup & School. But as soon as I can stop hoppin and find one to stick with, I probably will be using Virtual Box for my windows needs.

tye959
July 25th, 2008, 09:35 PM

So am I! But my stupidity got the best of me... When I was installing Ubuntu, I really had no idea what I was doing and erased windows. I am basically a WoW addict and is doing my best to install WoW, and get the Wi-Fi working. What really sucks is that if it doesn't load. <gulp> I have to switch back to vista. <cry>

szandor
July 26th, 2008, 03:13 AM
So am I! But my stupidity got the best of me... When I was installing Ubuntu, I really had no idea what I was doing and erased windows. I am basically a WoW addict and is doing my best to install WoW, and get the Wi-Fi working. What really sucks is that if it doesn't load. <gulp> I have to switch back to vista. <cry>

i'm running linux on the 3 laptops i have right now. it's been awhile since i've had a windows system. i thought i would have to keep a windows box around somewhere for wow but wine does a good job. i have a dell 1720 and wow runs pretty damn well with all my settings maxed out. i opted for the 1920x1080 hd display and i'm getting 50-70 fps even with everything jacked all the way up even with other crap running in the background like compiz, music, mplayer, whatever. i do kill compiz though when i get involved in a game/pvp. linux is solid but **** can happen. there's also a linux package for wowmatrix which is handy. i would preferred to have used team speak but everyone i know uses vent...as they're slaves to the windows o/s...but the sound quality is clear and haven't had any issues yet running it in wine. i'm also using my built in microphone and speakers so i don't have to use a headset. i can't believe i ever thought i needed windows for wow. i'm free! anyway, i've managed to get all the hardware working for my m1330's and 1720 so if anyone has gotten stuck on something send me a pm and i'll help you get past it. the last thing that needs to be tested is the falshplayer beta 2. i really hate having to switch between uvcvideo and vloopback.

plus
July 26th, 2008, 09:00 PM
more and more i use ubuntu,but it takes time to learn its behaviour and all it has to offer.
i used wubi for a while and decided to make a clean install.
completely switching to ubuntu is not entirely possible because of the hardware i use.

sharkcohen
July 27th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Wow, I haven't read this thread for a long time, amazing it is still active. I've been using Ubuntu exclusively now for over 2 years. I also have the pleasure of having a job where I play with Linux all day long. My only Windows system is my work provided XP laptop; I only use it for work. I have never even seen the Vista OS, I don't even know what it looks like. I run a streaming media server for my home theater from a Hardy box, over wireless. I'm about to install Fiesty on my ps3.

Linux rocks.

scragar
July 27th, 2008, 02:29 AM
I erased a windows partion I was keeping(I wanted to test something that could have potentialy taken all free space on my hard drive, so I did it to the windows drive, then I wiped it meaning to reinstall windows at a later date) "just in case" a few months ago, forgot I even did it till I saw this thread, so yeah, I abandoned the horrors of M$, although honestly with my XP install horrors I never really started using any windows later than 95(who needs a super computer when you can use common sense to ignore the viruses etc and reinstall once every 3 months when it get's too bogged down) anyway.

ingeva
July 27th, 2008, 09:26 AM
As a new user of Ubuntu it's probably a little early to ditch the old system yet, but after installing 8.04 my only reaction is "Why didn't I do this before?"

To tell the truth I did try 7.10 about half a year ago but was never able to make the wireless connection work, so I left it because there was so much else to do.

Now after getting 8.04 up and running on the first attempt, I just LOVE it -- and am looking very much forward to scrapping the old box forever. There are still things to work out, like how to make Apache work so I can continue my web development, but so far, with all the available documentation and this forum, I believe I'll have it up and running very soon.

Then, of course, it's a question of getting rid of old habits and acquire some new ones -- but I've always hated Windows and getting rid of it again will be a great blessing.

PHATSPEED7x
July 27th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I've totally switched over. Both my laptop, and desktop both run ubuntu. I used my gf's desktop the other day with xp, and I thought "wow this thing sucks!".

Der Alte
July 27th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I've completely switched my laptop to Ubuntu. I mainly use it in my university for work, so lack of games isn't an issue. At home, it's a router and print server, which works fine in Ubuntu. My main desktop is a gaming rig, so, while I've installed Ubuntu on it, I hardly ever use it.

adamogardner
July 27th, 2008, 01:30 PM
It's my Birthday, and I'm getting rid of vista today.:mrgreen:

what should I use to replace?

karellen
July 27th, 2008, 01:48 PM
It's my Birthday, and I'm getting rid of vista today.:mrgreen:

what should I use to replace?

being on Ubuntuforums, obviously Ubuntu ;) (but you may also try Mandriva, opensuse, Mint or even Fedora, all of them are user friendly and have livecds)

nbayiha
July 27th, 2008, 04:01 PM
It would have been easier for me to switch to Linux completely ,if game like assassin's creed (and lot of other ) were running without problem in Linux.:lolflag:
But it's still not the case. Maybe when i will get tired of playing game (what will eventually happen, but for sure not now :) ) , them i will make a complete Switch.

rdpsycho
July 27th, 2008, 04:09 PM
i just switched completely to Ubuntu about 2 weeks ago, I didn't even try a live cd or anything, and first time using anything but windows/dos .

I really like it so far and dont think i will go back, i just wished I could listen to my own music and play video games at the same time still.

DeMartini
July 27th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I have of this week completely switched to Linux w/ the exception of I need explorer to stream vid's off my netflixs account. I have Wine and explorer installed but it still won't work, not a big deal really.I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all the expert help I have gotten from this forum. :popcorn:

Mmmbopdowedop
July 27th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I've been switching between Linux quite a bit the past year.
Had a lot of problems due to hardware issues with my other computers.

But once I bought this new one, I tried it out and wow.

Ubuntu really is awesome.

I hated the default theme's though, really off-putting, but once I customized it and made it look sexy, I love it.

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/9189/screenshot21ay9.png

It's just so much nicer than Windows and I feel it's more productive, too.
It's awesome, I don't think I will EVER go back to Windows. I've been running it about a month & half now, not long, I know, but I don't think I will EVER go back to Windows.

I do run Windows in a Virtual Machine though, only to test out my site in IE 7. CSS can be annoying. >.<

Frak
July 27th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Same as the above poster. My laptop and file server both run Linux all the time, save for an 1-3 hours a week when I boot the file server to XP so I can play HL2 or TF2 with my roommates.
Same

I'm a slave to TF2.

stinger30au
July 27th, 2008, 10:10 PM
im now 100% ubuntu. the final piece of the puzzle for me was to purchase turbo print 2

http://www.zedonet.com/en_p_turboprint.phtml

did this only last week.

see ya windows.... thanks for the memories

kriukov
July 28th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Installed Ubuntu 6.06 in August 2006, dual-booted until February 2007, then deleted the Windows partition -- by that time I actually didn't use it anymore.

kg4cna
July 28th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Bought my sister's Dell Inspiron 1525 lappy and smoked the Vista partition and installed Hardy on it. Works great. Swapped the unsupported wireless card for the fully supported Intel Pro and have wireless interweb. Gotta tell ya, that laptop screams with Hardy...much faster than Winders. I will be using it at work too (radio station). I also put VirtualBox on it and installed WinXP for ONE piece of software that will not run under WINE (bummer).

On my main box, I have two drives...one for Hardy which is the one I use 90 percent of the time and one for Win2000 Pro. I have a voiceover studio and use Soundforge for my work....so I have to keep it around.

Been messing around with Linux since 1999 and of the distro's I've tried, Ubuntu is the hands-down winner.

A

BLTicklemonster
July 28th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Since I found VirtualBox, I've been meaning to remove dual boot, and I finally did this week.

Yes, XP is there if I need it, but I rarely ever have a need for it at all any more.

So finally, 2 years and 9 months after first installing Ubuntu, I'm finally down to booting just Ubuntu.

ShiningKarambaStar
July 28th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I'd been using Linux exclusively for almost 2 years, then for several months I was forced to return to XP due to wireless network issues (Linux could not connect to a wireless repeater, which was my only connection option at the time). I've now gotten rid of the repeater (now using 15dbi antennas), and it's back to Linux for me. I'm lovin' it! I've used many different distros over the years, starting with Mandrake back when I was a little kid, and it nearly destroyed my computer. I ran fedora for quite a while (back at version 5), then Ubuntu, then Xandros, then Suse, than Linspire (i have a free membership at Linspire) finally PCLinuxOS. I used that for over a year. However I've been wanting to try out a GNOME based distro since I've used mostly KDE except in Fedora. I installed Ubuntu 8.04 a week or so ago, and I love it. GNOME is awesome.
However, Windows XP won't be leaving my computer, because my dad also uses my computer and he does not like change. He's used to XP, and that's what he wants. I also have to use XP at work, so I won't be able to say that I actually don't use XP.

Dreamerman
July 28th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I have been a win user ever since I can remember. Not by design but because there isn't anything else. I am quite happy using XP now, at least XP is very stable unlike Win98 or Win2k. Work provides licensed Microsoft products so $$ isn't a concern to me.

Linux is a curiosity to me with all the hype. Over last couple of years, I have tried Mandrake & SUSE. I am so used to point/click & command line is too daunting. So, I dropped Linux. I relook at Linux since last month starting with SUSE 11. Installed it & had issues with my ATI Radeon 7500LE. Spent some time trouble shooting & gave up. Then I looked at Ubuntu Hardy. "Everything just works" really describes Ubuntu. No real issues with installation or getting all my hardware working (including my video card). I have not booted up my XP for a week & I don't miss it.

I am 99% there. The last thing I am trying out is to capture video from my Panasonic DV. If that works then I am 100% Ubuntu.

I am not religious but GOD bless all those who made Ubuntu a working miracle.

Cheers from Sydney.

Opticon
July 28th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I've been booting Ubuntu for about 2 years now. I keep an old xp computer around, just in case, but rarely use it for anything.

sneeks
July 28th, 2008, 09:27 PM
our house is 100% Linux/Ubuntu at the moment,kids have hardy and I'm still using gutsy (as I'm too lazy/haven't got the time to change at the moment).
well thats not strictly true as i have a few projects I'm working on for video tutorials for Ubuntu.
the best thing for the kids is they don't break it and i don't have to spend time re-installing uncle bill all the time.
when they did use his stuff there was always something wrong or viruses/spyware to contend with.
i also run virtualbox which i have puppy/xubuntu/kubuntu/ibex alpha(which i cannot get to run very well.)
the best thing i found about hardy is that is sorted wireless networking,so no dropped connections.(woopieeee!!!!!)
it does all we want,and games we do use we can run under wine.
so its thumbs up from me.

dagamant
July 28th, 2008, 10:16 PM
i am 100% ubuntu, my home server is ubuntu, my desktop is ubuntu, my wifes desktop is ubuntu, my laptop is ubuntu, my media center is ubuntu with a small windows media center partition that i havnt deleted yet(my roomate wanted a media center for the big tv, he only knew windows, i showed them what linux could do with a few scripts and xbmc. now im only using windows at work where i have gotten 3 other people to start using ubuntu.

tel93
July 29th, 2008, 01:50 AM
I'm 100 debian (I've been 100% Linux since January), does that count?

Gun_Smoke
July 29th, 2008, 01:54 AM
XP free since 03.......

asqn34
July 29th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Since building a new pc 5 months ago and xp OEM not working on new motherboard, new HD,...
It has change my computer experience in a better way,
even when confronted to problemes.
Still had to bye a laptop with vista for my wife, though.

RuleMaker
July 29th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I switched completely, yesterday I deleted my windows partition and merged the free space with my ubuntu partition.

dspari1
July 29th, 2008, 11:08 AM

Get a console.

myfigurefemale
July 29th, 2008, 09:49 PM
when i installed ubuntu i wiped the hardrive. my laptop did not come with a win cd, the files were on the hard drive, so i have no way to re-install. i always just mess with things till i figure out a way to make it work and haven't been disappointed yet. i can't really think of a single thing i miss about windows.

stargirl51
July 29th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I've switched completely and have really never looked back. I've got to admit, it was quite scary at first with no friends or anyone to offer linux lessons...

00arthuryu
July 29th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I only use XP to game, it has about 15 gaming icons or so and nothing else.
As everything else i use good o' ubuntu

mordak13
July 29th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Get a console.

That's what I did, a PS3 and a 46" 1080P Sony LCD TV. Now I can game all I want and not have to deal with Windows ever again. :popcorn:

Frak
July 29th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Get a console.
Doesn't work for all of us. Some of us (such as me) see PC vastly superior. Here's a great example, TF2 is better on PC than the consoles. Therefore, I find the argument that you should just buy a console instead of arguing for games on Linux is a very weak solution.

RiceMonster
July 29th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Doesn't work for all of us. Some of us (such as me) see PC vastly superior. Here's a great example, TF2 is better on PC than the consoles. Therefore, I find the argument that you should just buy a console instead of arguing for games on Linux is a very weak solution.

I agree with you. Plus, some games are PC only. For example, I can't play Diablo II or Starcraft on any console.

munkyboy
July 29th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Ive kinda forgotten all about all about Vista by accident. (i wish I hadnt spent £60 on a vista install disk for my new PC)

I installed Kubuntu just to play around with it as a kind of toy. But slowley realised its much better than vista and I cant remember the last time I booted vista up.

So far Ive converted two friend's as well as they have seen my PC and liked it so they've installed it too. Even my missus use it now and i NEVER thought she'd leave her beloved ITunes. I cant get her off amarok.

Macr0
July 30th, 2008, 02:02 AM
I totally wiped windows off this computer when dapper was released (I still dual boot on another machine when needed)

I use tuxguitar a lot.
Actually all the software I use on linux is better than the windows alternatives. *I must learn to use the gimp as I'm a photoshop user. Thats the only thing stopping me wiping windows completely from my life. :D

fredbird67
July 30th, 2008, 03:51 AM
My computer has been Windows free for over 3 1/2 years now. I've had various distros on here, such as Mandrake, Mepis, PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, Xubuntu (which I currently have), Mint, and Mint Xfce. Sometimes I'll run into situations where a particular distro doesn't cut it for me anymore for some reason or other, and so I do tend to distro-hop a bit. LOL

Fred in St. Louis

RiceMonster
July 30th, 2008, 03:55 AM
I use tuxguitar a lot.

Me too. I thought I'd have to learn to live without Guitar Pro when I made the switch. Tux Guitar proved me wrong. The only Guitar Pro 5 features it doesn't have are one's I never used.

pi.boy.travis
July 30th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Macr0
Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans

A little off topic, but how did you reset you post count to zero?!?!

Gun_Smoke
July 30th, 2008, 03:57 AM
I saw that a while ago.. Wonder what happened?

porchrat
July 30th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I still use XP on my laptop mainly because I'm too lazy to make the change. However when support ends for XP there is NO WAY I'm moving to Vista.

Everything else runs Linux though

Olivier1984
July 30th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I'm using Ubuntu for 6 month now. And the 2 last mth. I switched comletely to Ubuntu. Sometimes starting XP with Virtualbox for some web-dev looks with IE 6-7.
Linux rocks.

dougmorin
July 30th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I still use XP on my laptop mainly because I'm too lazy to make the change. However when support ends for XP there is NO WAY I'm moving to Vista.

Everything else runs Linux though

Hopefully the attitude doesnt change once winblows moves to windows 7... we'll see what they can pull out of their hats next. Hopefully by then linux will have better support for Adobe products... which is the ONLY thing holding me back from completely switching to linux. :mad:

Corfy
July 30th, 2008, 02:33 PM
However when support ends for XP there is NO WAY I'm moving to Vista.

Well, you have some time to plan, then, because I believe Microsoft will support XP until 2013.

Normally, they support their operating systems for five years after the next one comes out (in this case, five years after Vista was released, or five years after 2007, which would be 2012), but for some reason, they decided to add an extra year.

scragar
July 30th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Well, you have some time to plan, then, because I believe Microsoft will support XP until 2013.

Normally, they support their operating systems for five years after the next one comes out (in this case, five years after Vista was released, or five years after 2007, which would be 2012), but for some reason, they decided to add an extra year.

because people arn't buying vista maybe?

Corfy
July 30th, 2008, 05:00 PM
because people arn't buying vista maybe?

No, I'm sure that has absolutely nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

matchstich
July 30th, 2008, 05:07 PM
i read 2014 for xp support.

and MS is planning commercials to get folks to switch to vista. think it

was on pc world i saw this, one compares folks who won't get vista

as belonging to the flat earth society. hell, there are articles out on

the net about one of the major chip makers refusing to convert all 80,000

of their computers over to vista. you can still xp on a new machine if you

want, just have to pay extra for it.

bks
July 30th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I have successfully completed my migration from Windows. It has been a challenge at times, but as my wife says, I'm not happy unless my computer is broken :lolflag: I guess for me that's part of the fun of using GNU/Linux. Anyway, I digress, I do not use Windows for anything, not even games. I was able to get Guild Wars working thanks to Wine, so I'm set! Unfortunately, my wife has a Vista machine :confused: , I don't know why she likes it but she does.

farlander762
July 31st, 2008, 12:00 AM
I'm about 95% Ubuntu. The only thing I really use Windows (XP) for is when I want to watch a TV show on one of the major networks' site.

There are a few things that irk me such as drop-downs on web sites dropping behind the image (tried Opera also) and that I cannot suspend without having to do a force boot on my computer (Windows doesn't do that properly any more either) but all-in-all I really like Ubuntu.

I am really tired of all the crap that Windows makes one endure and it really pisses me off when I download a program and it asks me if I want to add the Google or Yahoo or whoever toolbar. If I wanted that corporate spyware/adware/malware, I'D DOWNLOAD IT!!!

And why does Macrosoft consider having a Live ID to be like joining an exclusive club????

richg
July 31st, 2008, 12:20 AM
I'm about 95% Ubuntu. There are a few things that irk me such as drop-downs on web sites dropping behind the image (tried Opera also)

I use ubuntu 8.04 with Firefox 3.0.1 and never see drop downs. Under Edit/Preferences/Content, I select, Block pop up windows. I clear All private data including cookies and history when I close the browser. I do not accept Third Party cookies. Hope this helps.

Rich

farlander762
July 31st, 2008, 03:09 AM
Rich,
I'm actually talking about drop down menu's on web sites. For instance when you go to circuitcity.com there are buttons for each category of product. When you hover over the button it should expand and show sub categories. For some reason, most of these expand behind the picture.

scragar
July 31st, 2008, 03:13 AM
Rich,
I'm actually talking about drop down menu's on web sites. For instance when you go to circuitcity.com there are buttons for each category of product. When you hover over the button it should expand and show sub categories. For some reason, most of these expand behind the picture.

flash. Problem is fixed in flash 10 currently in testing, but flash 9 still has the problem of being above everything else on the page.

pi.boy.travis
July 31st, 2008, 03:49 AM
Rich,

I see that on a lot of pages as well. Definitely a flash problem, as it shows up in Fx and Opera.

Corfy
July 31st, 2008, 04:43 AM
Actually, the problem can be easily fixed with some simple HTML coding. So while it is nice to see Flash 10 eliminate this problem, the real problem is caused by the website creators.

scragar
July 31st, 2008, 04:46 AM
Actually, the problem can be easily fixed with some simple HTML coding. So while it is nice to see Flash 10 eliminate this problem, the real problem is caused by the website creators.

huh? it's not something a developer can just fix, other than choosing not to use flash, which admittedly is a very nice solution...

Corfy
July 31st, 2008, 05:07 AM
No, it is simple coding done with the HTML embed code for the flash item. Just add the line "wmode=transparent".

http://www.interaktonline.com/Support/Knowledgebase/Technote/Details/140/117/The+dynamic+menu+shows+behind+the+flash+movie.html

I had to figure it out a while back for the office's website. It worked fine in IE, but not for Firefox. Now it works fine for both.

Oponium
July 31st, 2008, 05:10 AM
I've been Microsoft-free for a long time now. Unfortunately, I am now trying to get away from Apple. hehe.

Anyhow, I usually run Ubuntu on my Mac, now. Even though it feels really weird because it's _totally_ not supposed to be on my machine.