PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

NinjaMidget25
April 29th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I am in the process of switching to linux (Ubuntu 8.04). The only thing that will keep me from going to 100% linux is the games that I won't be able to get to run under Wine. If someone ever comes up with an emulator that will run the windows games that I want to play, then I'll never install windows on another one of my computers again.

I have Hardy installed on my HP laptop, and i really like it. I think it's about time to install Hardy on my main machine and do a dual boot system. Then at least I can play games when I want to and be windows free the rest of the time. I shelled out the money for vista last year and had it installed for a month before I went back to XP. I will never install Vista on another one of my computers...what a piece of crap!

iaswni
April 29th, 2008, 07:44 PM
im at my first steps..2nd day but i love it! still having some problems but im a fast learner ubuntu is sweet. im wondering which planet i was living in so long:cool::cool:

briansers
April 29th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I switched completely to Linux a year ago. Thanks to these forums I was able to find all the software I really needed to do so.

sweeneytodd
April 29th, 2008, 10:13 PM
must of used it two days, then i completely backed up and installed only ubuntu, don't even bother with dual boot because i don't need or want it, thank you ubuntu team

Fedz
April 29th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I've just hooked my m8s xbox360 to my cablemodem so he can go on xbox live - geez! talk about 20 questions just to get nothing ... after 2 hours of looking around for online gamers with various xbox 360 games found a big fat zero :roll:

it gave membership free for a month ... WOW! then after that a monthly sub but, to do anything costs points which you pay for ... can't M$ give anything for free to get us to pay for something later ... hardly wets your appetite ;)

studentz
April 30th, 2008, 02:09 AM
I only boot in XP to upgrade my antivirus. Seriously, 90% of my duties in Ubuntu.

novus721
April 30th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I switched about a year ago in the middle of college, so I haven't had all the time to really learn all of the ins and outs of it - it is worth it though, because once something is fixed, you do NOT have to worry about it.

The best analogy of Linux v Windows is this that my friend told me:
Windows is like the economy class seats in an airplane. It works, but they are all the same, and you can only adjust it so much until it breaks.
Linux, on the other hand, is a full recline first class seat with many more options than the economy seat - but, you have to put the bolts together yourself.

Linux is truly the future, you just have to get used to the minor roadblocks in the way :)

TpyKv
April 30th, 2008, 03:07 AM
I started off with a triple boot of Solaris, Ubuntu Gutsy and Vista...

I quickly figured out that Ubunutu was my favourite, so for about a month I've been running it by itself... triple booting is messy and wastes space...

With the help of this forum, my wireless is working (sony vaio laptop), my orange usb internet stick is also, just need to get my TV card working now and I'm away.

I have an xbox 360 for playing games, so sadly Microsoft still get my pennies, but my laptop does everything it needs to (and I've found a few linux games that are really good) plus it's safe/secure & reliable.

And I've had fun learning how to use it :)

I have this week off work so installing it on my brother and sisters laptops tomorrow... in no time at all I'll have the whole family on board!

Deten
April 30th, 2008, 03:51 AM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

Im a gamer, but I made the switch.

In the end no change will come unless you force companies to make games for both systems. That requires not buying them.

On the other hand, if they work in wine I will use em. You may be suprised what you can get running. They truly have an impressive team there.

Good Luck! Its hard, its like starting out again as a child not knowing what to do, but only takes about 2 months to get decent.

tshrinivasan
April 30th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I swiped out windows three years ago. Living only with linux for three years.
and being happy.

magnus0
April 30th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I use only Ubuntu. Windows has just too many errors.

pacrep
April 30th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Like many users I dual booted and found myself using Ubuntu more and more. Then asked myself do I really need windows for my needs, and decided to go Ubuntu 100%.

Basically got tired of warez, cracks, patches, etc. To see If the program Is really for me.

yssida
April 30th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I am a student and ubuntu is more than adequate for my needs. Ubuntu 100%!!!!!

shadowtroopers
April 30th, 2008, 12:21 PM
why have to buy if we can get it free, updated and free from virus. Whenever i stick up my thumb drive after copying some files from windows,at least i can see 1 weird file in it. Completely give up on windows.

grokwik
April 30th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I did it some months ago (and forced my wife to do so too ;)). I still have a virtualbox with w2k inside but I never open it...
The only dark point is that now that I'm using Ubuntu, I have a lexmark printer that I can't use :s

brentwas
April 30th, 2008, 02:29 PM
the only 2 things keeping me from going Ubuntu 100% are google sketchup and games. specially Sketchup is an app. with no match in linux. let us hope that Google soon will release a sketchup for linux.

freduardo
April 30th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I already switched to 100% Linux a while ago (I'm not really sure but it must be over a year ago by now).

I have bought a new laptop recently, which came with Vista pre-installed. So I've been dualbooting until I found a solution to my powermanagement/acpi problems (it's the same as one of the System76 models).

So now I'm about to remove Vista and go 100% Linux again, dualbooting Gutsy and Hardy probably.

arisystems
April 30th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I still run RedHat 6 as a mail server. I installed Ubuntu 6.04 on my Presario X1000 laptop when I got the disk in Linux Format magazine and have used it as my main system ever since then. I have another laptop with Windows to enable me to do Skype with video-- now available and working in Ubuntu. I still keep the Windows laptop to use my AT&T broadband card once or twice a month, but Sierra has the instruction to make it work in Linux so just need to take the time to make that work and then I am Windows free. Of course, I still make 90% of my income fixing Windows computers for people and businesses-- long live (broken) Windows.

seatex
April 30th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I started using Linux with ubuntu 7.04 one year ago. I had Windows XP MCE on a separate partition, but used it less and less. With 8.04, I did a fresh install and gave it the whole hard drive. Also, with 7.04 and 7.10, I was using kubuntu (KDE), but I switched back to GNOME with 8.04.

I definitely do not miss all the maintenance with XP, such as virus scans, defrags, and .net updates that wouldn't install.

wadelewis4
April 30th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I dual boot - I have some win apps I can't give up.
Very soon, though, windows is going to go down in a blaze of formatty-goodness. The real issue is that there is a ton of data on my win partition that needs to be backed up and I have been too lazy to do it, lol.

duckgoesoink
April 30th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I dual boot Vista and Hardy, but I use Hardy almost exclusively because I prefer it, and so does my computer.

Mowog
April 30th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I'm pretty much a Linux noob, but am very receptive to the idea of using it as my main OS.

My interest was recently rekindled when I installed Hardy, and inadvertently overwrote my Vista installation. It's really not that big a deal, since I have XP on a second drive, and can boot from there if need be. Plus, all my files were on the XP drive so all I really lost was Vista itself. I see this as my chance to dig into Ubuntu and see if I can incorporate all the functionality I currently enjoy in Windows; mainly, getting Ubuntu to work with my X-Fi Extreme Music sound card (and I see that Creative is finally distributing a beta Linux driver! Sweet!), and with my printer. What little gaming I do can easily be done in XP, leaving Ubuntu for everything else - audio recording and editing, graphic and web design, word processing, general web surfing, e-mailing, etc.

Mowog

slick_nick
April 30th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I've been 100% Ubuntu for something like a year now. I did however just build a new computer, and broke down and put XP on it.. only so I can play Crysis :). It was a pain in the *** getting my wireless card working in XP, while it just worked right from the start in Ubuntu!

tyroeternal
April 30th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Its been a year or so since I've had windows around on my machines. The only thing that has ever brought it back has, as most replies have said, been gaming. Although I dont find it such a terrible thing to have windows installed to play games, its been nice not having to keep it around, and has done wonders for free time too :)

JoseReyes
April 30th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Its been a year or so since I've had windows around on my machines. The only thing that has ever brought it back has, as most replies have said, been gaming. Although I dont find it such a terrible thing to have windows installed to play games, its been nice not having to keep it around, and has done wonders for free time too :)

I run ubuntu 8.04 64bit exclusive... I used to have Vista Ultimate and I took it off and is in a closet now... :) Love Ubuntu 64bit...

Have no plans for going back to windows any time soon...

moparmcars
April 30th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Hey guys, just a couple of questions. I does anyone have any idea how to share files between the host computer (hardy) and my virtualbox vista? I cant figure it out. I also cant seem to get my pen to work since i downloaded hardy and i have a lenovo x61 tablet. And lastly. Any idea of programs that are similar to microsoft onenote that i could run on linux?

nick09
April 30th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I have.

It's great that there is PlayOnLinux so I can play some of my games without booting up XP and at near XP gaming speed(on a 3-year old computer).:mrgreen:

Plus all the fun free games out there.

obx-jdt
May 1st, 2008, 12:26 AM

You seem to be a bit confused about Linux... I play Doom3, Quake 2 & 3, and UT2K4 on Linux. My gaming nick is "JACK *****". Perhaps we've played eachother in a server??
I've been using nothing but Linux for about 2.5 years now. For about the first 2 years that I was learning Linux, I kept a win2000 partition lust for gaming, but like I said, now I'm all Linux "Kubuntu (KDE4)"
Gaming support for Linux is much better now than it was when I first started with Mandrake6. Check out this link;

http://icculus.org/lgfaq/gamelist.php?license=commercial
http://icculus.org/lgfaq/

Hope that helps you to make the full switch to Linux...

Fenris_rising
May 1st, 2008, 12:42 AM
i did today following a disastrous cockup. so i had to reinstall XP then reinstall HH alt disk. i then had problems with the partitioner so in exasperation i said sod it use the whole bloody drive, if it doesnt work i'll try again tomoz.......HH installed. XP bye bye im happy. luckily i have a budget laptop that is dual boot XP/Kubuntu so i can deal with my remaining XP specific files before going Linux only on that to.

fenris

Toasted Donut
May 1st, 2008, 01:37 AM
I installed Gutsy (my first experience with Linux and it was love at first sight) back in late January (my laptop was a christmas present) I booted Windows maybe once a weekh after gutsy install. And some time near end of feb I did a clean install of Gutsy, I am happier and so is my computer.

samden
May 1st, 2008, 04:29 AM
Completely switched as of last week, but not from Windows. I have never let Windows near my personal computers, having to use it occasionally for work is bad enough. I've always been a Mac person, but had to upgrade my laptop finally. $2000 for a new Mac laptop or $580 for a basic Linux laptop from a local electronics store - pretty easy choice. Macs are great too, but Linux does everything I need for much less money. I'm liking Hardy Heron.

ZorgTheDestroyer
May 1st, 2008, 10:21 AM
I've been with Ubuntu-only since my XP-partition began to crash explorer.exe at random. Windows sucks without a desktop. The only thing I miss is the possibility of playing at good game now and then, without to much work.

Luke1972
May 1st, 2008, 11:38 AM
At home I've moved to Xubuntu completely but at work I still have to use Windows.

mikemunsil
May 1st, 2008, 01:53 PM
I started a new business and standardized my office on Ubuntu. I do have a WinXP laptop that I keep handy, but haven't used it in weeks. My accountant demands Quickbooks files, so I run Quickbooks in WinXP virtualized within VirtualBox. Not perfect, but it runs fairly well.

phx12noon
May 2nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
I dont use window$ for home computing anymore. Ubuntu has all the things I need :-)

tariquepark
May 2nd, 2008, 11:52 AM
hi all
i have three pc,s and an old ibm thinkpad, ubuntu solely on my wifes pc (got sick of fixing windows so i said if you want a pc that works here you go and put ubuntu 6.10 on:) and no more "my puters broke hun!":lolflag:)and now gutsy
dual boot on both other pc's cause im a gamer too and so is my son and ubuntu breezy on the laptop with usb wirless ( atmel chipset was huge learning curve ) it was painfully slow on w2000
only prob is the cddrive died in laptop:)

cheers luke
i have also converted my brother for the same reason as the wife but he jumped for it

brigux
May 2nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
drop Cedega, it's not free + it's based on all the good work of Wine people which completely unfair.. support GNU, do not give Cedega any moeny.
+ I found out that last version of wine are far better than Cedega. I've been running WoW in Wine for a year.

About switching to linux:
Laptop=Mac, Home PC: linux, work PC: Windows.
Switching is the way ;-)

williambertram
May 2nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
Guild Wars, and iTunes were pretty much keeping me on XP. iTunes was for my wife, so we just moved it to her laptop. Guild wars is getting old, and I needed to quit gaming anyway due to time issues.

So now I'm native Ubuntu 8.04 with no dual boot. everything is EXT3. I did keep the old XP hard drive just in case, but haven't had to use it.

Even my wife has been using Ubuntu with great success.

dmacdonald111
May 2nd, 2008, 02:58 PM
I've just switched over completely to linux as of two minutes ago. hehe. Needed the partition.

Wastedyouthfx0
May 2nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
I replaced a webserver with linux almost over a year ago and found it more stable and even easier to work with. I have not been hacked since.

Later I installed a dual boot setup on my work computer, and within days I found myself installing it on my laptop (no dual boot). About a few days later I removed Vista from my work computer altogether and decided to use virtual machines instead.

One thing I do miss is the games, but now I have a console for that. The wifi on my laptop at home drops randomly and doesn't seem to want to come back up. At work I'm having trouble browsing the windows network.

My girlfriend like it to, but isn't able to browse to her favorite radio station and listen to the stream (http://www.theticket.com/).

My girlfriend is pretty much a complete newb when it comes to computers, but she says she's liking Ubuntu. I like it too, enough that I've abandoned windows altogether and only use the virtual machine because I have to.

The wireless and windows network browsing was working flawlessly when I was using Gutsy, but I went to hardy because it was able to detect all my drives. There seems to be a replacement for just about everything I did in windows, and I'm finding these alternatives to even be more desirable. I do have to visit the net quite often to figure out how to do things I used to do, but I found in windows that I probably spent more time hunting down the software required to do it while in Ubuntu its all there and easy to find. And I don't have to waste time making sure that software doesn't come with unwanted spyware too.

I don't think its perfect, but it sure looks like its almost there. I'll be much happier when I can work out the last of these bugs.

Most importantly, using my computer has become fun again. The thing that kept me away from linux for so long was the hardware support (boy has that changed), and the simple fact that microsoft kinda has a ball and chain on me. I'm very appreciative that Ubuntu has taken the time to address my dependency on windows.

TakeLifeEasy
May 2nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
Stopped using Window on all my PC's over 2 years ago.....never looked backed :)

Foster Grant
May 2nd, 2008, 09:20 PM
Hadn't touched my Windows partition in weeks, so last night I backed up everything, reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled pure Gutsy Gibbon (C:\ is now /dev/hda/ and it's not going back). One big partition, unfortunately either the Ubuntu installer wouldn't let me make separate partitions for /boot/, /usr/, /usr/local/, and /home/ or I was too tired to find it.

8)

@Wastedyouthfx0: Ubuntu's hardware support is stunning for any *nix OS; the fact that it's free is even more amazing. There are other distros, both free and not, that have users digging all over for proper drivers. Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS both have excellent driver support, even if Ubuntu's is of the "well, if you insist I'll just install that for you" variety. :lol:

newbieforever
May 3rd, 2008, 08:06 AM
+1

NOTE: switched definitively to linux, only temporarily to ubuntu, my aim is mepis, and yes, i know mepis uses ubuntu repos... but it's different...
i'm thankful to ubuntu, but i need more freedom, and less religiously devoted users' community, where any discussion or criticism (see under the voice: "independent opinions, but flexible, not arrogant, and ready to be changed") is "banned" as trolling or attacked with big laughs

RiceMonster
May 3rd, 2008, 08:15 AM
I actually switched over cold turkey and completely removed Windows the first I installed Linux. 100% Linux for me. While I wouldn't recommend it to most people, I think it really helped me adapt. On the other hand, I guess I had an advantage because I was already familiar with UNIX command line from class, although not anything advanced.

x86macro
May 3rd, 2008, 08:21 AM
i've been a windows user since version 3.1. my new laptop has Vista. now, after SP1 came out it seemed to get a huge performance boost but it still pisses me off all the time. plus i feel like it's so bloated - loaded with tons of features that are totally not necessary. and WHY does it need 60 MB of RAM just to run it's weak Aero desktop (relative to something like compiz). i'm a programmer and i used to use Unix in college and i know that, to a programmer, Linux is somewhat of a playground. i just wasn't sure that i could get all of what i needed to get done without Windows.

just last week i saw that Ubuntu could load up and run a demo without changing my computer at all AND i could install it into a virtual disk and dual boot plus be able to uninstall it in a snap with windows add/remove programs. so i did that on my new laptop and almost instantly loved it. i reformatted one of my desktops and installed a clean install of Ubuntu and a few days after that i bought a new HD for my laptop and did the same. now i'm running VirtualBox to run my windows only stuff (AutoCAD) and i do everything else with Linux. i love it. i still have a third system running windows XP so i guess i haven't switched 100% but my two main systems are running Linux.

pwn2king
May 3rd, 2008, 11:55 PM
I have totally switched to Linux on both laptop and Desktop. It drives me crazy when I run into a problem, but it does not compare w/the problems on windows. Windwows looks attractive, but the only difference is the number of programs written to work w/it vs Linux. Time will shorten that divide though. Onward.

Solrac924
May 4th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I have successfully installed Ubuntu (for the first time) & haven't booted Windows for 3 days. i think i've been switched over. Especially since i've downloaded Opera & Thunderbird. :cool:

other guy
May 4th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Does it count when my router and main computer runs Linux? My main boxen has been up and running for a while now, and never seen the evils of a Windows install disc.

The other two machines I own have hard drives that contain Windows, but never get installed. To me they are boxed items. They run Linux 99.9% of the time.

MasterNetra
May 4th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Using Kubuntu (Hardy) currently and was off and on Linux OS's ultimately returning to windows. About a week ago left WinXP for Ubuntu (Hardy) found it was running slow and was reminded of its not so lovely appearance. So i converted into Kubuntu... probably more of a hybrid though with kde dominate :p Still using Ubuntu's 64bit Kernel though.

debasishp
May 5th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I would love to erase windows completely. Currently I'm dual booting Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.04.

The reason I can't move to Ubuntu completely is absence of support for my Umax Astra 5600 scanner.

timzak
May 5th, 2008, 03:31 PM
With the release of Hardy, I wiped out both my VirtualBox Windows install and my dual-boot Windows partition. So my personal PC is 100% Linux. I have a (very) old laptop with a Windows 2000 license that I keep around in case I need it for something. I'm actually using it right now to hold my MS Money file while I transfer over and acclimate to Gnucash.

I have a PC in the garage that is 100% Gutsy. My wife is still on Windows, though. I'm starting slow with her...changing over all of her apps to open source Windows programs first. Maybe within another year or so I'll try migrating her to Ubuntu.

jez.stix
May 5th, 2008, 06:38 PM
hard to choose when linux wont load as a dual setup jez

zenrith
May 6th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I started using Ubuntu on my laptop 3 months ago. There are a few issues that I've been working through, but I now believe that I am ready to let go of my windows "fix".

Bonger1901
May 6th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I use Ubuntu for everything, but I still like to play games like GTR2 once in a while so I'll keep my dual boot for now. :)

Joeb454
May 6th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I use Ubuntu for everything, but I still like to play games like GTR2 once in a while so I'll keep my dual boot for now. :)

So you don't use Ubuntu for everything ;)

UNaruto1990
May 6th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I HAD to switch to Ubuntu last week due to some hardwares problems, strange it's working great, unlike windows XP of course, I seriously thought of totally switching to ubuntu, but I still want to use adobe flash and ASP.net 2.0, so if there were alternatives for those too then I would definitly switch lolz, anyways I am getting a 1TB HDD in 2 months so it won't really hurt to have 20GBs for XP lolz...

andrek
May 6th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Debian for me, and Ubuntu for my father - no windows at all. Finally. ;)

3dgimp
May 6th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Just set up my PC to have both hardy and vista 64-bit editions installed on it. Ubuntu is somewhat slow at reacting to stuff. Such as clicking a menu, I usually have to wait a second for it to load. Bit odd.... :(, but I will give it a fair while and maybe reinstall it if it's still being rubbish, not like installing it takes much time (half hour to get it installed and fully setup)

ejpyle
May 6th, 2008, 03:06 PM
a windows/mac user until 2 weeks ago....Linux is the only OS running in my house. it does everything I need and then some...

i now run my own ftp server, file server, & webserver
wireless card works 10 times better in Ubuntu than Windows. Windows reported 65% signal strength where as Ubuntu reports above 95% every time!!!

I have noticed with Hardy there are a few bugs and everyone is still learning though it is great because I get to learn something knew when I have to find an answer.....

Aside from all that, I have never seen anything more stable than Ubuntu
I would have gone through a half dozen lockups on Windows......still running smoothly and faster on Ubuntu.

I can honestly say Microsoft does not compare to Linux....
Heck...nor does Apple....LOL

I have seen that spinning pin wheel of death many of times....

think i am going to get me one of those "open computer's" with Ubuntu loaded.

Sealbhach
May 6th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I have to keep Windows for a little while longer because I have a Blu-Ray player on my Vaio.

Also, Skype doesn't appear to support 64bit architecture yet so have to go into Windows for that.

Other than that, I can do everything else I want in Ubuntu. I can play Youtube videos now without fear of them stopping dozens of times - they never played properly in Vista through my wireless modem.

I'm really an end-user though, not a developer of any kind.

viglin
May 6th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Ubuntu is my Second OS as I am Using Vista as a power user, i am starting ubuntu like happe feet

ejpyle
May 6th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Just set up my PC to have both hardy and vista 64-bit editions installed on it. Ubuntu is somewhat slow at reacting to stuff. Such as clicking a menu, I usually have to wait a second for it to load. Bit odd.... :(, but I will give it a fair while and maybe reinstall it if it's still being rubbish, not like installing it takes much time (half hour to get it installed and fully setup)

LOL...dont blame the slow reaction on Ubuntu...blame it on that other partition with the Vista 64 bit edition. :)

jerzydirtracer
May 7th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Main laptop Ubuntu 7.10 for about 3 mos., just loaded Kubuntu on my garage computer. Other than my gaming computer for playing COD2 and COD-UO, I have no use for windblows.

Formica45
May 7th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Did the plunge a week ago. Good by windows...forever!

StaceyRVC
May 7th, 2008, 04:35 AM
I had Vista for 1.5 yrs, I decided to try out ubuntu about a week ago, I went to repartition my drives and something got corrupt in windows (go figure) I ended up totally ditching Vista and went full blown ubuntu. Although this is all new to me, cause i have no idea where anything is being installed to, it seems to flow better.

MaindotC
May 7th, 2008, 04:42 AM
I am total Ubuntu 7.10. I tried Hardy but there are some issues with password-protected shares and I need them for school so I had to go back to Gutsy. There is database class I'm taking that requires an installation of Microsoft SQL client as well as the use of Office 07 to "upsize" access databases to integrate with SQL, so I installed it on a lab machine that I can remote into anytime. I could probably wine it, but I didn't want to take the risk. When I wine something and it doesn't work I have difficulty completly removing it and I haven't researched how to remove programs thoroughly.

As for games - I'm all open source now. Everything in Windows has an open-source equivalent and enough users to make it worthwhile. I am addicted to Urban Terror, Frozen Bubble, Neverball, and Glest. There's a Starcraft-like program being developed called Stargus and I'm hoping to test it out sometime.

I love Gimp, Evolution fully works with my campus's global access list, and although I can't use Ruckus to download and play DRM-protected music, I just find any song I want on youtube and add it to a playlist. My campus has 900 wireless access points so I'm always in coverage :) So long Winblows.

margensa
May 7th, 2008, 04:43 AM
We keep an XP Pro partition around for use with our older scanner. Otherwise, my family have been pure Ubuntu users for a year.

snakedog
May 7th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Im bi...I use both Windows and Linux. I do a lot in XP,
primarily because I am in support. I still run W2K and am
even running Vista. Vista really b-i-t-e-s. Big time. UAC
is a nightmare. Wish I could switch UAC with sudo for Windows.

Linux is great for networking. Itś got simpler, better tools
like ettercap and Nessus. Thank you, Senor Torvalds. :)

sackbj
May 7th, 2008, 07:25 AM
I like using Ubuntu (I have had a couple bad experiences with Nvidia drivers though). My main computer is running Vista x64 and I can't say I'm proud of that. I built it to play games, so I felt tied to Windows. However, I found an old 40G hard drive and I think I might throw that in there and make it a dual-boot box. I'm not afraid to mess with dual-booting as long as I'm not messing with partitions on the same drive.

I love open-source!

Azegul
May 7th, 2008, 03:18 PM
4th of May. 2 years of dual booting. Had enough of wasted space on my hard drive.

SyCo123
May 7th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I've had to re-install an XP partition after being windows free for several months. Why? F***ing Netflix!!

If you want to go legit watching video you have spend $100 bucks on a OS just to use it then give up 3Gb for an XP installation and then keep a further 3GB free to watch a movie. A 6GB partition on my drive just to stream a movie.

Apparently...you could watch platform independent Divx DVD quality movies, hosted on stage6 without any of the crap Netflix makes you put up with (please wait a further 15 mins for play back to 'adjust', in the middle of my movie!!)

I would be happy to give my $10 a month to stage6 their service rocked... by all accounts..
:guitar:

nairatinu
May 7th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I use removable drives, Ubuntu and Windows live on separate drives (both of which are cloned). I can judge my Windows usage by how often I swap out the Linux drive and put in Windows. I haven't done this for months. I would say the switch is pretty much complete. I use Ubuntu Studio since I am a composer and love the applications. I started with Studio to Go! a few years back, they took a good crack at making a great music app oriented distro, but unfortunately ran out of steam. Ubuntu Studio is just as good, if not better in some ways. Kudos to Ubuntu. My experience with Mandriva was a bit disappointing...

rossy77
May 7th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I've installed Linux through Wubi..I've got xp and Hardy Heron ..I'm thinking of switching to Linux only in case I manage to install a lan scanner since mine doesn't work with Linux.

mbenson111
May 7th, 2008, 11:19 PM
My main box is Ubuntu 8.04, and I made the switch about 2 weeks before it's release, to 7.10. I am enjoying it.

I have a 1.6GHz WinXP box for my Line 6 Hardware, but that's all it does.

The one thing I can't get working properly is the java runtime. It is installed in the Synaptics, but java.com says it's not there. I haven't the slightest as to why.

Virtual_Ron
May 8th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Been a linux user for some 15 years or so.

But finally made the switch at home about a year ago. Couldn't be happier.

I'm currently running Kubuntu 8.04rc AMD64bit
Hardy Heron
kernel: 2.6.24-16-generic
4 Gigs Ram
AMD64 X2 Dual 6000+
ATI Radeon X1200
ATI 8.476 video drivers
KDE 3.5.9 (just not ready for 4.0 yet)

dcherryholmes
May 8th, 2008, 07:15 PM
My main box is Ubuntu 8.04, and I made the switch about 2 weeks before it's release, to 7.10. I am enjoying it.

I have a 1.6GHz WinXP box for my Line 6 Hardware, but that's all it does.

The one thing I can't get working properly is the java runtime. It is installed in the Synaptics, but java.com says it's not there. I haven't the slightest as to why.

If you open up firefox and type "about:plugins" in the address bar (without the quotes), do you see java installed?

oninjao
May 8th, 2008, 07:58 PM
me may linux rule forever:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

bjornaln
May 8th, 2008, 08:50 PM
i switched to Ubuntu last august, but i have used Linux on and off since 1999. i switched completely in august last year since all i need to do, i can do now in Linux. I have windows installed as a VM, but i only use it to show people that if they need Windows, why not run it as a VM in Linux, it's much more stable and offers, at least in my experience, better performance, dont ask me why :)

as far as games goes, i used to play anarchy online, but i havent been able to get it to run in Linux yet, since i dont know how to apply the patches manually *blush*, but i can live without, thinking of trying Cedega though.

i use Ubuntu because in my experience, it is one of the easiest Linux distros out there that is easy to use, and that is important for me as i try to make my friends to convert to Linux as well and they need to see that it is no longer an exclusive geek club like it was in the late 90's, Linux first appeared in 1991 i think, correct me if im wrong please :)

anyways, i never regretted converting to Linux for a second, and as far as anarchy online goes, i will make it work someday, but it is not a neccesity :)

Yannick Le Saint kyncani
May 8th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Hi all,

I've been linux-only since at least 8 years now and have been dual-booting linux and windows for some two more years.
GPL rules :guitar:

I have switched between redhat, mandrake, suse, debian sid, debian testing, gentoo, some more debian sid, ubuntu, debian sid and finally ubuntu (something close to this order). Same thing for the desktop of course, between X only without any window manager, enlightenment, icewm, gnome and currently kde.

BahbGTR
May 8th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I first really started to use anything other than Windows back in 2003 with Free BSD 5 on a small web/mail/irc server (1 GHz AMD T-bird ftw!).

After that, I still used windows mainly but played around extensively with Gentoo until about a year ago. Almost exactly a year ago I changed my server from Gentoo to Ubuntu 7.04. Just last night I changed that server to a virtualized 8.04 32-bit on my desktop (which runs 8.04 64-bit).

On my desktop though I removed all traces of windows about four months ago since Vista just doesn't cut it for me.

Delever
May 8th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Reading about how secure everyone feels and "safe from viruses", and having in mind how linux popularity grows, I can't help but think that next virus written for linux is going to be HUGE hit. It does not even need to do much, wipe out home folder would be more than enough food for Microsoft...

Or maybe that's my pesimistic thinking ;)

t1n0m3n
May 8th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I would completely run Ubuntu except for a few things:
1. My job requires Windows
2. I like playing lots of newly released games
3. Ubuntu will not even load the live cd on my home system without a kernel panic.

HangukMiguk
May 8th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I've managed to become completely 100% independent from Windows.

I have been running Linux solely for a year now, and am totally happy.

Honestly, I haven't even had a need for WINE at this moment since I reinstalled Ubuntu Gutsy. I have it installed, just in case it becomes needed, but right now it's just taking up space.

lptr
May 9th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Having 3 and a half Ubuntu boxes running here in my office and 1 and a half machines running XP. 0.5 machine running Vista (for tests primarily chailed into VMs and one test install on real HW but not for production).

My main working machine is running rock solid since Feb. 2001 KDE desktop.

So you can decide yourself if I completely switched over to Linux.
;-)

rob*

shani248
May 9th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I've switched 80 % to Linux, Windows is just there for experimentations (although i almost break my linux every other month trying to experiment), Games, and general video editing stuff. Switching to AVIdemux for my conversion needs though.

Wobedraggled
May 9th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I used windows last night :(

I accidentally erased some files of my mini-sd, and it was just quicker to get them back, I knew I kept that install around for a reason.

lostandcold
May 9th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Went dual boot for a while but kept having grub issues, now that I am solely using Linux there are no problems at all.

shirokurokun
May 9th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Killer apps? I see one(maybe there's more, cause I'm just using it for just a week). amaroK rocks compared to WMP11.

I just switched to Linux just last week(I think?)
I completely switched, I didn't spare a single thought about it.
I don't want to run a system that is holding back(do you know what I mean?).
Something like dualboot because I would probably miss the chance of seeing what is Linux running on full in my PC.

Seeing that everything that other users might need is here. I started burning back-up files to dvd and completely formated my system into a Linux system. It's an adventurous move you might see, but hell! I'm an adventurer and what's to worry about. Doing things other people(except for us geeks) might see stupid, like switching to such environment I'm not familiar with.

It works great! You don't have to run antivirus in background to protect your PC. Runs in almost any cpu architectures maybe there is on earth(and beyond maybe). Doesn't need drivers. Bundled with basic PC user needs like a word processors that can compete with the commercial ones.
HEY! HEY! and don't forget that IT DOESN'T CHARGE YOU FOR ANYTHING.

sewmyheadon
May 9th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I'd say that I've completely switched. No more dual-booting for me on either my laptop or desktop, which both run Hardy now. My servers run mainly Hardy Server and a few run CentOS.

I still have to use Windows from time to time to check websites that I've developed with different browsers, but I have Windows where I like it: in a virtual machine. :)

condawg
May 9th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I've completely switched.

Installed Hardy about 2 weeks ago, and have had thoughts of switching back due to problems that I've been having (pretty big ****, too), but I hold back, because I know that no matter how frustrating it is, the problems can be fixed, and I know that once they are my computer will be superior to that of a Windows box.

a2sidedcoin
May 9th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I am an MCSE+I (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer + Internet/IT)

I'm done with windows, I will work on them, make a living from them, but as far as my home goes, I am using linux.. for the second time in my life, I find myself wanting to study the OS, instead of it being a burden.. the first time, was DOS (I still love dos, always will)

The problem is this: I do game sometimes (which I have found about every game will work with linux, when properly done), and the problem, I'm a musician.. and I use Ableton Live 6

It doesn't work yet under linux and I'm afraid I may have to either fork out a ton of dough on a Mac (which I might) or, go back to windows..

And yes, I have been using the alternitives, but they are just not as good, and Midi support... well, if someone can help me get my studio sync'd in Linux, I'll write a friggin song about you! I can't get a single midi device I own working, all but some slider controls (which I'm sure, I'm doing something wrong)

But, yes, for the time being, this is a Linux Only house..

x001
May 9th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I do .NET web development for work and have to use windows but for home and side projects I have completely switched to linux around Feb 08 on both my home desktop (XPS410) and laptop (XPS1530) both work flawlessly except I am having trouble setting up bluetooth on my laptop.

I took the time to learn (http://www.apress.com/book/view/1590595874) GIMP so I could stop using Adobe Fireworks/Photoshop for web design. I do my PHP development in Geany/Bluefish. For my ASP.NET side projects I usually use MonoDevelop/Geany/XPS for quick tweaks/tests but for big projects I still have to revert to Visual Studio which I run through VMWare Workstation. Plus I use the virtual Windows XP installation for testing sites in IE. I use Evolution to keep me on my toes and Google Notebook/Tomboy for keeping notes. I dont like mixing KDE apps with gnome apps so I am still searching for a stable Photo Managment applications but for the time being I can put up with F-Spots frequent crashes. Hopefully over time F-spot becomes stable. blueMarine (http://bluemarine.tidalwave.it/) seems like a good alternative. A good video editor would be a plus as well.

derekge
May 9th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Still use XP for iTunes and gaming. iTunes is great for managing music and id3 tags and I'm loving COD4 right now.

Swarms
May 9th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Still use XP for iTunes and gaming. iTunes is great for managing music and id3 tags and I'm loving COD4 right now.

Consider wine, both programs got pretty good scores in usability. (Except if you want to use iTunes with your iPod ofc.)

I am myself almost a 100% linux user, except at school, they use some damn annoying proxy thing that Firefox can't figure. So only able to use IE, ofc I could try to wine that aswell.

x001
May 10th, 2008, 12:42 AM

I use Cedega for gaming, works fairly well (at least for World of Warcraft). :)

rizlmilk
May 11th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I now only use Linux. Ubuntu on my desktop, Linux Mint on my laptop (easy wireless).

I will never use Windows again, and will teach everyone I know about Linux and why I love it.

Jerry41
May 12th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I would love to make the switch, but so far I have been unable to get my scanner to work from Hardy & Ancestry.com freezes in just a few minutes with Hardy & Firefox 3b5. There is also not yet a Linux version of Legacy Family Tree.

I love Hardy, but my major objective in owning a computer is to facilitate doing the things I enjoy doing, and genealogy is one of my major things.

SOON, I hope.

Piteco
May 12th, 2008, 01:11 AM
When I started with ubuntu I thank was better use a dual boot with gutsy and xp, but two or three weeks after I switcched completly to Ubuntu

Zephalie
May 12th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Right now I'm dualbooting, but I would. The only thing holding me back is Photoshop CS3. I do graphic design as a hobby and I've finally taught myself a good variety of things. Also, I still play non-compatible games.

marco1986
May 12th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Hey! I'm using Kubuntu for 5 months, and very sattisfied! I havent seen win since those 5 months - and I'm glad :)

iPirates
May 12th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I just dumped Windows. Stopped working on my other partition, so dumped it. Just like that.

Can't say I miss it at all.

encyclopedia
May 12th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I am relatively new to linux (with ubuntu installed 2 days back) and Ubuntu 8.04 ROCKS!! The only sad thing is that it does not play a good sound in my awesome 4.1 speaker system but I am sure there are some drivers and configurators out there. Also, whenever I try to play movies, it slows down a lot. I dont know whether it is a configuration error or a player prob. But I hope I will find out a solution for that.
Or else, I just LOVE Ubuntu 8.04.

steve allen
May 12th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Changed to ubuntu on our new computer, got completely hacked off with vista (it wont even run windows media player reliably)the other computer still on XP until I can transfer files etc. It was quite a liberating feeling just changing OS,not quite so reliant on microsoft anymore.

unelemented
May 12th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Im running dual boot ubuntu 7.10 with Xp and I have a server '03 box (which i control remotly) that handles my dial up connection for ubuntu only got a 33K modem for it though and it seems to run just as fast or faster then my 56k modem on Xp
I cant drop windows completly cause Im doing CompTIA A+ which is nearly all windows based (touchs on Mac and Linux) but theres alot more money to be made repairing windows machines then mac or linux machines

Ill go full ubuntu on my main machine when I get another machine a switch and a KVM

ScorpKing
May 12th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I've been using *ubuntu on and off since 5.10 but completely switched over from 7.04 and never I've been happier. :)

Tyler H
May 12th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I switched over from dual boot xp to full 8.04 AMD64 last month. I can't complain, it only took me three months. I don't have time to game anymore so it's no longer a big deal to go without WinCrack. I do have to admit I am still running a dual boot xp on my laptop, but I have to have Xp in the case that something I need for school won't work under Wine.

For all of those thinking about giving up on linux....read this. (http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/archive/2008/05/08/does-your-amd-based-computer-boot-after-installing-xp-sp3.aspx)

ZBREAKER
May 12th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Completely Windows free for some months now altho I still keep an image file of XP on an external drive for some reason. I'm lucky to have 3 hard drives in my box....all linux....Ubuntu, Mint KDE CE, and Sidux....things have never been better computing wise.

ExRarne
May 12th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I was on Ubuntu part-time pre-8.04...

Then, it happened. BSoD attacks. You know, when you turn on the computer, and instead of booting you get a restart-loadingscreen-bsod-restart-loadingscreen-bsod cycle, and you'll never get ANYTHING done? Yeah. That's why.

SilverSword
May 12th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I've completely switched over to Ubuntu after much consideration and it seems better suited to what I do. I'm not really much of a gamer or programmer so Windows wasn't my thing if I'm honest.

MacDuff
May 12th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I have two desktop boxes running Ubuntu (7.10) and a laptop running 8.04 (after blowing out Vista) but VirtualBox is running on all of them because we have three software applications and a scanner that we must use and they do not run with Linux yet.

95% of our work is now done with Ubuntu. I just received an Asus EEE which I may convert to Kabuntu if I cannot make Xandros work. (Xandros does not have some of the software I need, that is available in 'buntu.)

It would be a lie to say that has been a totally happy experience to make the switch but Vista would possibly be even more difficult to make play. Over all I have been quite satisfied and if 'buntu keeps improving as much as it has this past year, I will be ecstatic.

I absolutely LOVE Ubuntu on a single computer installation but networking has been problematic and we are not completely up to speed there yet.

enoughsaid05
May 13th, 2008, 05:01 AM
I have switched to Linux! (Well, not completely, only 90%)

In fact it was quite unintentional, Initially I have a laptop that comes with Linpus Linux, then I removed it and installed Windows XP. Then I heard a lot of good things about Linux so I decided to give it a try. I wanted to dual boot the laptop, but turns out that I had screwed up somewhere and it couldn't detect my OS. So I had got no choice but to switch to Ubuntu completely. The first distribution that I used was Gutsy and the first few months of using it was a nightmare. Subsequently I got used to how it works, with a few mishaps of course.

I have a XP family desktop which I use for occasional games and this accounts for the other 10%

mshiva
May 13th, 2008, 05:06 AM
I'm yet to make a complete switch.

But, I don't think I would ever stick with just one OS, but my primary OS, as of now is puppy.

Dave_G
May 13th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I have! I've now got everything that i need on Linux that i was using on Vista - and i haven't used Vista for the past 5 days now; its superb!

meech
May 13th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I haven't booted windows for 5 months. The thought of going back to windows has never crossed my mind, not once. If it doesn't work out of the box you can find resources to make it work. Security, stability, and having virtually limitless options are my top priorities; they are all realized with ubuntu.

M_Alex
May 13th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Actually, I never plan on doing so.

First of all, to be blunt - games. Yes, I am a gamer, and I like to play the new stuff that comes out.

Second of all - Ubuntu (and linux in general i believe) has one trait which may be problematic: its not as easy to use as windows is; its easier to double-click on an icon rather than making an installer from tarballs. Many problems with graphic cards, sound cards and printers are also something which I consider a strong argument.

Third of all, i really like Win XP, it is a rather nice system.

I do believe that Linux is a great thing; even though I do not have the time to participate very actively in the community, I do post something every once in a while, be it a bug or just a message as this one ;).

I love linux on my laptop - its all i need, its efficient, neat, and if I feel the need I can sit up all night trying to get into the more intricate parts of the system. But all in all, it'll be ages before I abandon MS - or until games bore me ;) If we take that away, and speak of a strictly work environment, then I cease needing windows, a Ubuntu does just fine.

pbeesley
May 13th, 2008, 11:15 AM
i'm know totally linux, but I still can't play DVD's or burn lightscribes so I might have to go back :(

JOZeldenrust
May 13th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I switched to all Linux after my XP system crashed and I found out my WinXP install disk had broken in half (literally, sloppy storage on my part).

I had used Linux way back (RedHat 5.2, so that must've been around 1999/2000), so I was at least somewhat familiar with how things work, but I was very pleased with how much progress has been made since then.

I installed Debian Etch on my desktop, which has since been upgraded to Lenny. I kept WinXP on my laptop though, but last week I finally got fed up of having stuff work on my desktop, but not my laptop. I also wanted to be able to use Amarok on it, so I tried to install Debian on that as well.

Configuring wireless network adapters is a chore under Debian, though, so after some fidgeting I decided to take the easy route and installed Ubuntu, which I quite like.

Still not sure if I'll stick with it, though. I might revert back to Debian. But for now, I'm quite enjoying my laptop running Ubuntu.

prd
May 14th, 2008, 12:34 PM
100% and 100%. My entertainment machine is 100% vista, but my working machine is 100% ubuntu ;)
Linux is still a big nonsense in term of entertainment, but windows is a big as*hole in term of productivity. So I built both.

kd5ful
May 14th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Me.
I miss quake 1 and 2, but wondoze STINKS!

UnknownElement
May 14th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Me.
I miss quake 1 and 2, but wondoze STINKS!
http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/ for Quake 1, Quake 2 has a native build somewhere in the repos I think.

I can't move to Linux. There are things it simply can't do as well as Vista (in my case, movie playback - the Intel X3100 drivers suck when Compiz is running, no direct rendering I believe, so tearing is abundant because Vsync can't be enabled). Plus I feel as though, since we live in a Windows world, I'm not really prepared to segregate myself from others who continue to use an OS found in most places around the world.

Masterart
May 14th, 2008, 01:53 PM
It is an impossible task.

you need to be a super expert in computer hardware / software to get
ubuntu working on your PC.

maybe in future, a more user friendly version....

UnknownElement
May 14th, 2008, 02:02 PM

Nope. It's more a case of sticking with it despite your lack of knowledge. It's not as if you knew how to use Windows or whatever straight off. You're new, I can tell from your previous posts. A stubborn determination will see you through...

Glucklich
May 14th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks to Virtualbox, I did it. It creates an emulated Windows environment. This baby lets me run the 2007 version of Autocad (and another pain in the *** programs) whenever I need, since I have the 2000 version almost fully operational on Ubuntu. And I think it has advances in relation to a dual-boot system because of the file transfer issue, at least for me. I occasionally need files to move from a system to the other.
Actually, I'm nowhere near to be an expert on computers and had a sound problem. It took a couple of weeks to get it fixed but thanks to two users in this forum I got it fixed, and that's all that matters. Glad I insisted on Ubuntu and didn't let it go because I'm enjoying it very very much.

kd5ful
May 14th, 2008, 02:40 PM
http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/ for Quake 1, Quake 2 has a native build somewhere in the repos I think.

I can't move to Linux. There are things it simply can't do as well as Vista (in my case, movie playback - the Intel X3100 drivers suck when Compiz is running, no direct rendering I believe, so tearing is abundant because Vsync can't be enabled). Plus I feel as though, since we live in a Windows world, I'm not really prepared to segregate myself from others who continue to use an OS found in most places around the world.

To each his own, I guess.
I just played a smidge of Q2.
Thanks, man!!
:D

kd5ful
May 14th, 2008, 02:46 PM

Impossible?
What did the naysayers have to say when JFK told us all he wanted to plant a man on the Moon?
Dude, you need to read around here for a few more minutes.
I took a 2005 Gateway, popped a 160G HD and 2G of new RAM into it, and Gutsy went right on, no sweat.
I found out how to tweak the system to my liking here.
It's a lot easier than you think.

chrisjenx2001
May 14th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I havent completely switched because i still play games on my desktop and i cant forfit the performace loss of VM windows in linux.

As for my laptop and every other machine which serves me.. yes im a convert.. people keep saying mac is the way to go.. i disagree Linux has alot more potential.

Although linux will never mainstream intill its idiot proof and you can play games on it.. but saying that Windows isnt idiot proof all its got is gaming.. TBH if all my games played on Linux i would very rarely use windows if at all..

Btw having standard hardware helps alot for linux distros.. i had a laptop of the DSA which was a pile o wank as it used more unknows bits of hardware then a scrapheap challange build!

Thirtysixway
May 14th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I try to use Ubuntu as often as I can. I only go to Windows for some games, photoshop, and for the lovely internet explorer.

...that last part was a joke. :)

bufsabre666
May 15th, 2008, 12:21 AM
ive been windows free for 4 months now and i dont ever plan on looking back, especially with wine now in 1.0rc1

RWells
May 15th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Nope. It's more a case of sticking with it despite your lack of knowledge. It's not as if you knew how to use Windows or whatever straight off. You're new, I can tell from your previous posts. A stubborn determination will see you through...

Interesting way of looking at it.

My first versian of windows was 3.1.
I am using XP now.

I still dont know how to use windows, never needed to use windows.
I use Photo Shop, BobCad,RealFlight 3.5.

Why would one use Windows?
I always thought it was the operating system, and never paid it any mind what so ever.

I have been playing around trying to install Ubuntu for about a month now to no avail, but I am pretty sure I wont being replacing Windows with Ubuntu,
$900 for an operating system is a bit steep for my blood.
But it is kinda fun playing around with the free stuff.

uraldinho
May 15th, 2008, 01:41 AM
"I still dont know how to use windows, never needed to use windows."... I agree, I run windows, but apart from installing drivers I don't really know how to use it.

These days I use windows mainly for MS Office, im sorry but OpenOffice just doesn't do it for me. I tried running it in wine, virtual machine, etc... but booting windows and using office is the best option. Also, sometimes when I need to print, i have to be in windows.

I can't really fault XP, it's come a long way since its launch. Recently I had an XP session open that I didn't have to reset for 4-5 months. My only annoyance is that MS ties me to what is basically a non standard document format.

jerzydirtracer
May 15th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Me, except for my gaming, if I can get COD2 and COD-UO to work with Ubuntu, Goodbye windows.

Ragiast
May 15th, 2008, 02:33 AM
me since Ubuntu 6.10

got windows on another partition, but instead I boot with Sabayon Linux and I play 3-D games :P if The Sims2 works with linux... bye bye windows

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/

TGArcher
May 15th, 2008, 03:08 AM
I have completely switched to Linux. sure, there are some games that I can't play, but I play mostly Steam games (Half Life series, anyone?) which runs PERFECTLY using the Wine Windows Compatibility Layer. When tweaked to use OpenGL instead of GLSL, I get INSANE performance out of my games. I was actually never able to run Half Life 2 with full resolution on Windows XP on the same machine, but I can on Kubuntu with Wine without any lag what so ever. I've been pretty much a computer scientist for 4 years ever since I started messing with Linux on my first desktop running straight up Gentoo. I don't run that on this laptop though, cause you can't do much messing around when you have school work to do. In any case, I have completely switched for more than a year now and I turned my brother into a Linux user, too.

warped0ne
May 15th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Only thing I keep XP around for is Photoshop CS3. Gimp is wonderful, but Photoshop is hard to top.

dtrot55
May 15th, 2008, 03:40 AM
I have been testing Ubuntu 8.04 x32. I am impressed though I am dissapointed with the video game quality but other than that it is a great basic OS. By basic I mean Internet surfing, Chatting and music. I am currently dual booting with XP for gaming purposes but other than that I really like it...and hope that Hardware companies start making better Linux drivers to make it a better experience. Thats another thing i hate about it...but I get through it.

bradc28
May 15th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Bought my wife a laptop 6 months ago with Windows on it, wiped the desktop of Microsoft stuff and put Ubuntu on it. The only time I touch her computer is when she has problems (once a week).

When her's stops working, she jumps on the Ubuntu desktop and uses it too. I am not to happy with how heavy 8.04 is so I will get myself a laptop and test it there before I put it on hers. Besides, I need to make sure her vid card supports Beryl first. She has been using Openoffice for the past 6 months and not one complaint.

All-in-all, we will be all Ubuntu in our house by EOY except for the FreeNAS running BSD.

rage-against-windows
May 15th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my Compaq Presario V2000 VIA wubi to share with XP. After 2 days playtime I reformatted, and installed straight ubuntu. Ive had zero problems setting up 2 wireless connections, and a hard cable. No problems with any drivers, and no more rebooting every hour. Installed ubuntu on wifes Dell with the very same results. No problems and smooth as silk. We both tried Red Hat back in the late 90's and a few distros of linux in 2001/02, but were never tempted to kick windows to the curb until now. Ubuntu has saved me alot of money as we were thinking about buying a couple mac machines, but that is not an option now!

xclegend
May 15th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I am totally windows free both laptop and desktop. I have been that way for years.:)

eddVRS
May 16th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I made the jump at the beginning of the year. I inherited a laptop, installed ubuntu 7.10 (i think) and screwed up windows partition. So, I fired up a live disk, removed all partitions and reinstalled ubuntu- not looked back. :biggrin:

Recently (like this week) set up a home server using Ubuntu, with success. Which (I think) has helped me learn more about how the OS works via command line etc...

just wish I didn't have to use windows at work anymore... :(

oo-boon-too
May 16th, 2008, 12:56 AM
I made the switch and I still game,
Currently play WoW on my 'nix box.
I dont get the 100fps like i used to, but i guess i can settle for 30 till i get an nVidia card.

I even made a complementary new character named "GNUbuntu", to celebrate the working OS.

MeTylerDurden
May 16th, 2008, 01:09 AM
HI, that reminds me , I have to login to StarCraft so I don't lose my account.. yeah I went Ubuntu I went all the way and over the edge. I am living apart from others , I am following a light , I am reborn

First you have to give up, first you have to *know*... not fear... *know*... that someday you're gonna die.

sasgross
May 16th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I would really like to completely switch to Ubuntu. Unfortunately i need to write a lot of scientific articles which require references. So far i could not find a linux alternative to what Microsoft Word and Reference Manager do. Well I know that there is JabRef and OpenOffice, but they do not update the reference list automatically, and that is just the most important part since it requires a lot of time if it's done manually.
Further, i still have some Excel files with Macro's which do not run in OpenOffice, but soon I'll not need them anymore.
Games are another issue, but after reading this thread i have hope to find some interesting Linux games.

uraldinho
May 16th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I would really like to completely switch to Ubuntu. Unfortunately i need to write a lot of scientific articles which require references. So far i could not find a linux alternative to what Microsoft Word and Reference Manager do. Well I know that there is JabRef and OpenOffice, but they do not update the reference list automatically, and that is just the most important part since it requires a lot of time if it's done manually.
Further, i still have some Excel files with Macro's which do not run in OpenOffice, but soon I'll not need them anymore.
Games are another issue, but after reading this thread i have hope to find some interesting Linux games.

When it comes to the Office Suites my choice is MS Office too.

But for what you are trying to do, OpenOffice has a nice "bibliography database" extension that you can use to keep track of your references. I have never tried Reference Manager for MS Office, but I find OpenOffice bibliography database to be a useful tool, and I wish MS Office came with something similar.

NikoC
May 16th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Well I've been using Ubuntu and other Linux distros for several years now, but always in combination with Windows (either virtualized or dual boot). Because a lot of lab applications that we use in our research group are windows only I was more or less obliged to keep XP running. Now however I got myself a new lappy (macbook pro) which I use for work, so my old sony 13.3' has been transformed to a full linux machine (tried Suse, Debian, Puppy, DSL and PClos, but finally arrived back at the first distro I ever used, Ubuntu, this time Hardy).

kjm61287
May 16th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I'm running Windows on my desktop and Linux on my laptop as of right now and probably will till I can get all the games I have working under Wine. I've gotten a good portion of what I do play working for the most part, but little things like AOE2 matches and so on don't work properly under wine :(

Here's hoping Wine will have some big break throughs!
x64 Skype and x64 Flash would be nice too ;)

Flag
May 16th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Use Linux at home 100 %, with VMware for the slide scanner only. Use XP at work a special version. Actually this version boots faster then Ubuntu or Suze, the only two distros I have expierence with, but it is still Window$.

reader4
May 16th, 2008, 09:29 PM
iTunes and very occasional use of Solidworks, AutoCad and MathCad force me to keep a virtual machine for XP. I do all of my writing with OpenOffice and RefWorks - I never even liked EndNote much when I used it. I haven't tried the integrated reference managers lately, but was not satisfied with either the last time I used them... too hard to import what I needed.

hellomoto
May 17th, 2008, 07:36 PM
i dual boot linux and Xp.

I would like to use ubuntu 100% but i can't get my current TV card to work. Also I havnt found any good music studio replacement for XP, i may give ubuntu studio a try... Is it just hardy but with diffrent packages installed as standard>?

Also I can't find a program on ubuntu to rip DVD's Straight to DivX.

neonl
May 17th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I totally switched to GNU/Linux a few months ago, in the end of 2007. I had been using Ubuntu and Debian for a while changing to Windows when I had had problems. Then, I tried Arch and Gentoo and I stood there and learned a lot about GNU/Linux. I'm back to Ubuntu (tryin' Hardy, ya know :D).

The gaming problem is not really a problem to me 'cuz I have a PlayStation3 :).

GNU/Linux is r0x. Windows just sucks :P.

linuxmerlin
May 17th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I have come over to UBUNTU from windows then suse and mandriva.
I cannot go back to windows its just so slow and troublesome.
Still a few things to work out like connecting my phone but thats all.

Aetheric
May 17th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I've been Windows-free for about a year now. I went though 6 months of freaking hell trying to learn a new operating system, and in that time I've become convinced of the superiority of Linux as an OS.

My current OS of choice is Ubuntu Hardy. On my rig I've gotten World of Warcraft running perfectly through Wine, gotten all the 64bit crap working, got screenlets working... I've messed about with it umpteen times and lost count of the number of times I've reinstalled everything.

It's never stopped being fun, though. And I love that Ubuntu just works out of the box and sets itself up in about 15 minutes. If it wasn't for all the wacky stuff I do to my computer, I'd never have any problems at all. I know it seems like a big jump, just to dump XP and go solo with Linux, but it's worth it when you think about upgrading... to, say, the bug-filled, DRM riddled, bloated sack of vomit that is Windows Vista.

game_plan
May 18th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I honestly have not had Windows on my system for about 3 years now. However I do still have to deal with it as others in my family refuse to see the light :)

beanco
May 18th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I honestly have not had Windows on my system for about 3 years now. However I do still have to deal with it as others in my family refuse to see the light :)

I know that feeling.

currently there is only one machine here in teh house. This is a ubuntu box only.... I have not even tried any other flavours of linux on it.

My wife brings home a laptop from where she teaches (and I am not allowed to make any changes/installs on it) when shen needs to work at home but she will not take the time to learn ubuntu... for what she needs to do all she has to learn is how to open the correct word processor and use it like MS Word, almost...

The kds are antsy because they have had a few problems with this box. but most of those were operator related, not equipment related... but they are convinced all their friends adn classmates are right and that MS is the way to go....

I have said to them all that this HOUSE is an MS Free Zone and will remain so. even if they buy a laptop with their own money I will try to make it MS Free....

robi

V. Wayne
May 19th, 2008, 02:28 AM
I have been using Ubuntu as the main OS on my laptop for about a month now. Windows XP was frequently crashing and it took hours to reinstall Windows. However, I have several business applications in XP that are not available in Linux so for a solution; I downloaded and installed VMware Workstation for Linux and created a Windows XP virtual machine to run those software applications.

So far everything has been working great! Now I can run all my XP applications by powering on the VM. Also an added benefit is having a backup for all my XP files and applications without having to completely reinstall a Windows OS. If my virtual XP should become unstable, I can delete the VM folder and power on my backup VM in minutes.

In my opinion Linux is much more stable than Windows and as more developers contribute to the library of user-friendly software applications the adoption rate among desktop users will no doubt increase.

garfilth
May 19th, 2008, 12:30 PM
i dumped windoze 8 months ago. now using hardy and to be honest it just works. i started with gutsy, tried mandriva and now run hardy full time. i have zandros on my laptop, and no prizes for guessing what my laptop is. LOL

windows xp and vista would just crash all the time, but with linux i never knew how stable an OS could be. since installing hardy on day of release i have had not a single crash, had one in hardy, damn nvidia.

ubuntu just woks. does everything i need it to, better, faster than windoze.

here are my specs, nothing fancy just works for me. i had xp and vista on the same box.
cpu athlon xp 2200-1.75 ghz
mem-1gb pc3200
video card-nvidia 6200 - 256mb
hdd- 40 gb
ext hdd 500 gb
yes i know i need a new box, and will upgrade soon but when i get so much of a performance boost over windoze, ( 700mb vidoe file convert and burn- 1 h 45m in ubuntu and 3h in xp and a what felt like a week in vista ) i will stick with ubuntu. the only time i use xp is in work and i get daily crashes with our software.

so linux all the way for me. bring on my new dual core, 2gb ram and we will scream though tasks.

guitar:

and my house mate runs xp on a 2.8ghz pentium 4 and under linux i can keep up with his pc in most tasks.

linux baby. yeah

TheS0urce
May 19th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I only use windows in vmware for my printer but that's about it.

Kaohuz
May 19th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I've been using Ubuntu for more than a year now.
My girlfriend, family and some closest friends also migrated too.
At first they were very "afraid" of the change, (Guess people are afraid of what they don't know of) now they use their Ubuntu systems and feel very comfortable with it.

linuxinireland
May 20th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I just switched completeley to Ubuntu 8.04. My main reason was becasue I'm to cheap to buy windows, and windows sucks anyway. I dont really know what i'm doing yet. But I have faith, and its been better than windows already, and i just got started! I have some problems yet to be resolved, mainly becasue I have an ipod touch i dont how to hook up yet, and at the same time I want to be able to put music on another mp3 player. But I know itunes, and windows werent going to helping me out anyway. using windows nowadays, is a lot like driving a gas guzzler, Linux is a hybrid.

Bnosidda
May 20th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I have altogether switched except for the occasional use of my siblings mac laptop although a greatly miss my games from old windows, and hope to one day run windows and linux (but use linux the most :-) )

doorknob60
May 20th, 2008, 12:32 AM
My Desktop:
95% Debian, 5% Windows for a few games

My Laptop:
Mostly Debian, Windows because my CD drive won't work to resize partitions :P And better graphics driver (Ati card too old for fglrx or whatever its called)

My Parent's Laptop:
99.9% Kubuntu, Windows in Vmware for turbotax during tax season

My Little Brother's Computer:
100% Fluxbuntu (It's an older box but it does the job)

My Littler Brother's Computer
90% Kubuntu, he plays a few games that don't like Linux

Overall, the is a pretty open source house :D Most importantly, no Vista :D Except for recovery discs but meh it's not installed.

brewstah
May 20th, 2008, 02:05 AM
If it wasn't for all the wacky stuff I do to my computer, I'd never have any problems at all. :lolflag: Oh man, I think there are few here who could honestly claim otherwise! :D

HyperHacker
May 20th, 2008, 02:37 AM
I kept Windows installed when I switched to Xubuntu, but I have yet to boot it. :D I kept it for one program I use often (Nemu64), but that program runs fine in Wine, and there's another program being developed for multiple platforms (Mupen64plus) that does the job better. (I'm even contributing to it, so I can be sure it doesn't have the same annoyances. :P)

Kiefer Rodriguez
May 20th, 2008, 03:11 AM

I switched to Linux in 05', Keeping an XP box spare just in case my job required me to use something Windows specific (I'm a programmer by trade), In mid 07' I switched completely to Linux, now using OpenSUSE & Kubuntu 8.04, If I feel like some gaming I fire up the PS3 :-P

~Kiefer

pmq
May 20th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I said bye bye to windows on my laptop about a month ago. Before this i never really used linux apart from a few scripts i had to do for an assignment on my OS module at uni.
I think this is the best way to get to know another OS thoroughly, jumping right into it. I just got the idea a dual boot system would be too slow, and i had vista on there.
The only possible reason for me to keep windows is counter strike source, but i have that on my pc at home, which i only have access to at the weekends. But i have the xbox 360 for gaming now :) (and the wii, psp and ds, im not spoilt or rich, i just spend money on games, i dont eat or wear clothes :P)
But that machine will say bye bye to XP soon too.
Although the ironic thing is im starting a 12 month placement with Microsoft Ireland in the european development centre.
hehe, thats going to be fun (AWKWARD).

jespdj
May 20th, 2008, 12:54 PM
On my desktop computer, I'm mainly using Windows Vista, but I don't use it for much except working with my digital photos in Photoshop CS3.

On my laptop (Dell XPS M1530) I use Ubuntu 99.9% of the time, for programming, webbrowsing, e-mail, etc. I do have Windows Vista on my laptop (because it came with the laptop), but I almost never use it.

At work I'm using a Windows XP computer - I have no choice there.

VTshredder
May 21st, 2008, 05:54 AM
Completely wiped out Windows XP after the SP3 issues. Thankfully, i was already turned onto Ubuntu prior to said incident, and wiped out windows without hesitation. I already had all the vitals backed up to the external, and was actively reading up on Linux/Ubuntu when it happened. So with that said, i have yet to have an issue and could not be happier. My "not so top 'o the line" PC runs better than it did the day i bought it.

Damiox
May 21st, 2008, 09:58 AM

u should try open arena and nexuiz...both FPS's and both built off quake engines(i think)

u get more for free

I have been a hardcore Microsoft user since dos...i started getting tired of them crashing last year and leaving perfectly good cpus dead....now i have 4 linux cpus all from ppl that had windows on them and thought they were trash...i can still do everything i used to do(with the exception of printer drivers) i even have a former 98 machine running Dyne:Bolic and being used for all my AV needs....plus im a it consultant at a major electronics retail store and i allways point ppl towards open office and linux operating systems(unless they **** me off)...ppl are so shocked that there is a free word program and wonder why they have been paying for microsoft......Plus im supposed to push microsoft office and vista ...but what they dont know wont hurt me.or anyone else...Microsoft Doesent realize that u have to convince the geeks/nerds/it pros in order for the masses to keep using it....what ever we use they will too...

scottuss
May 21st, 2008, 01:45 PM
Got a new PC with Windows Vista but always liked Linux. I tried Ubuntu sometime last year but it wasn't quite upto my standards at that point (a bit unstable, slow to boot). I installed Hardy Heron Beta in April using Wubi, I fell in love instantly. I removed the Wubi installation, formatted my HD and installed Hardy Heron LTS onto it's own partition. The only thing I miss is Office 2007 (It's way better than OO) But I have that installed on my laptop. My eee PC runs Ubuntu also. Gotta love it really!!

peter3
May 21st, 2008, 03:54 PM
Two things require Windoz:
My Garmin Legend Maps run only on windoz.
I am the webmaster for my church, which publishes the newsletter with Windoz Publisher.
I can only convert that newsletter for the posting the web page with that program.
Otherwise, it's been Linux since '96: Slackware, Red Hat, Debian, and Ubuntu for real
use and several others for testing.
peter3

lefo
May 21st, 2008, 09:37 PM
Zapped WinXP Pro SP2 after making an iso CD and trying Ubuntu for a few hours. It ran better than XP, and it was off the danged CD! So, after backing up everything (documents, music, etc.) I ran the installer and let it reformat the HD. Haven't looked back on THIS machine. Still have to use XP at work, though. :(

lefo

darthpenguin
May 22nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
I am (and always have been) a Windows power user. Though I am still not impressed with Vista. I tried many Linux distros and quickly decided that Ubuntu was the way to go. I have been using a Win XP/Ubuntu 7.10 dual boot for 6 months and I'm booting into Windows less and less. I can do anything on Linux that I can do on Windows except some games. I miss gaming but there are many open source native linux games that are quite fun. Plus I have a PS3 so I can do my gaming there. I am very impressed with Ubuntu 7.10.

By the way my PS3 has ubuntu too :).

scruffy-l33t
May 22nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
Its only been a few months for me, but so far I am loving my Linux experience. I can't wait for the day when Linux takes over the computer world..:guitar:

Steve413z
May 23rd, 2008, 12:21 AM
I have Ubuntu as the only OS on most of my computers, I have 2 dual boot machines, but they both normally run ubuntu.

That laptop I use the most, has Ubuntu installed as the only OS, except I have VirtualBox installed to run Windows XP because of 2 programs I occasionally need.

WINE is usually enough to run 1 or 2 stubborn windows apps. (I think crossover office does a good job)

oh yeah, and I bought one of those Ubuntu dells for my grandfather, who has never used a computer in his life, he has no problems with it, and uses is it regularly now, and loves it. He had a problem with his cable modem though, it's kinda funny to see the reaction on peoples faces when he says he runs linux though.

Tribulation
May 23rd, 2008, 03:27 AM
I use Ubuntu for pretty much everything now. I only switch to XP when I want to game.

Bigtime_Scrub
May 23rd, 2008, 04:39 AM
I use Ubuntu now 95% of the time. I even game on Ubuntu. Ive been using it less than a month. Whoever says switching is hard hasnt really tried. Just go head first balls to the wall and you'll be ok. The only thing I still do on Vista is load my IPod. I cant for the life of me get it to sync properly with Ubuntu, and trust me Ive tried.

Maz7006
May 23rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
I have completely swithched for many reasons.

1. Linux was faster for me
2. I was able to get all my things working i.e printer etc.
3. I have 2 other desktops and 2 laptops all running with a dual boot of XP and Vista
4.And its nice to have a change once in a while

atomkind
May 24th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Complete switch on my laptop. However, I have a dualboot ubuntu/windows on my desktop pc for gaming and cs3. Last time I logged into windows I realized how ghetto it looks and feels in comparison to ubuntu... How did I ever work with it!?

hrhodes3
May 25th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I think if we just keep in mind what lead us to Linux we will be ok. Just remember the RMS speech! I get uplifted listening to RMS and have faith in a better world!

hrhodes3
May 25th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I felt empowered buy helping others install Netware 3.11.

In the same way we can take progressive if not complete steps to freedom!

d.kusummmanth@gmail.com
May 25th, 2008, 05:04 PM

i'm a 100% UBUNTU user since Feb 19, the day I got CDs from ShipIt.
I don't use a mobile because they don't have Mobile Phone Suite Software for Linux!!

matchstich
May 26th, 2008, 01:41 AM
today, i wiped my last windows machine and put 8.04 on it.

was fun while it lasted. have 2 more boxes i have yet to get working.

just need memory and have no money.

but, this makes 3 boxes that have unbuntu on them.

and i gave a disc to my coworker. they went home and installed it

on their machine . wiped out their windows also.

RobOrr
May 26th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Will switch as soon as steam (and hence Team Fortress 2) is able to be run successfully. Heard a rumor that Valve are in the process of doing it too. :D

No-Neck
May 26th, 2008, 03:51 PM
If I wasn't a PC gamer I'd get rid of Windows straight away. I switched to Ubuntu about a month ago and I'm loving it, never going back (except for COD4 :p).

richg
May 27th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I switched over completely nearly four years ago. I last ran 98SE as I did not like having to go to XP. I had helped people with XP.
I had a very good running PC but finally gave it to my brother. Within six months it was as slow as an old dog.
I started with Lindows, then to Linspire. Now Freespire 2.0.8 and it runs very well. I have two desktops with removable hard drives. One laptop with Linspire 5.1.427 and one EEC Xandros laptop. One hdd, one OS. No Windows or Gates. No dual booting.
I have a hard drive with Ubuntu 8.04 on it which I try once in a while.

It looks like Linspire is in trouble so I may completely switch to Ubuntu.
They just laid off a bunch of people and spam/porn is being posted in the forums. It gets removed when one of the few people left notice it.
It has been a nice ride but I guess I will move on. I do not hate Linspire, it got me this far. CNR has been great for me. Kevin, the former President convinced me stick with Ubuntu.

I have tried Ubuntu the past two years but did not like the Ubuntu forums.
I saw too many angry people. It looks like things are improving.

I have remained at the user level as I firmly believe users should run Applications, not have to run Operating Systems. Most Linux people like running Operating Systems, not applications. I never did like DOS and I do not like Command Line.

I am slowly climbing the Ubuntu ladder. It is quite a different OS.

Cheers

Rich

Desterie
May 27th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I received my new dell computer. I had never been anything but a windows user. I tried linux a few years ago and wasn't impressed.

However the force switch to Vista made me look to linux again. And Ubuntu seemed to be all over the place. I never powered my Vista computer up. I opened the box, and immediately removed the hard drive and put in a blank one and loaded Ubuntu on it.

I love it. After loading it on my Dell, I put it on my older Toshiba. And last night I sold the hard drive with vista on it. I am officially Windows free!!!

highrik
May 27th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I've messed around with linux distros in the past, SuSE and Fedora, but always drifted back to W2k. W2k is old and cranky now-a-days but i've still got it and probably will have for a long time..it's part of the scenery. I use Hardy Heron form my primary OS and it's fantastic..another world..everything I initially wanted it to do when I installed it, it did do. I think using linux in the past has put me in good stead also...I kinda feel I know what I'm doing.....or at least I know I can find out what I'm doing :)

50words
May 27th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Update: wiped the Windows partition from my laptop last night. Both my work desktop and home laptop have Ubuntu on them, with the non-/boot partitions encrypted using the alternate install CD. I still run Windows XP in VirtualBox on my desktop at work for three things:

(1) my ScanSnap utility (no other document scanner is even close to as good for the price, so I deal);
(2) Adobe Acrobat (Reader just doesn't cut it; I need to edit PDFs); and
(3) Windows Movie Maker, sadly enough, since nothing I have tried on Linux (PiTiVi, Avidemux, Open Movie Editor, etc.) seems to work for capturing and basic video editing.

Shmalignant
May 27th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I'm new and I love ubuntu. I don't think I'll ever have a windows as my main os again.

ethanay
May 29th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I completely switched Oct 2007. I just received my laptop as a graduation present. I was strongly considering a Mac, and probably wouldn't have regretted getting one. But that would have been a completely different path.

My XPS m1330 came installed with Windows Vista. It was somewhat foreign to me after using XP for so long (and never really knowing what I was doing or "what went wrong this time..").

The final straw came while I was at work, on break trying to get network access to a folder. The "installer" that my boss gave me (which was just an address and a few settings) wasn't Vista compatible, and somewhere in the process Vista rewrote the permissions on my entire hard-drive, locking me out of the entire file system. So I did a bit of research into open source alternatives, and tried Ubuntu instead of PCLinuxOS (simply because people kept saying that "KDE is more "windows-like" than Gnome and I wanted anything but!!).

Hardy 32-bit is my main OS, where I do all my e-mail, word processing, spreadsheet/database, internet, etc etc. Since then I have also installed 64studio 32-bit to do low-latency audio work.

After several mistakes, reinstalls, backups, restores, I finally feel like "I have a handle on Linux" and my Hardy desktop is clean, customized and streamlined to the point where I am amazed by the functionality and also the "cool!" factor. When the suspend from resume cpu bug gets fixed, it will be my "perfect desktop."

I have kept detailed setup notes and am planning sometime into the future to put them out here on the forum as a detailed "how to" for a Dell XPS m1330 "my perfect desktop." Hopefully it will be useful for other XPS laptop owners to get to a point where they only need to do small additional things to make it work for them. I know I am still a novice, but I feel like a Debian sysadmin now compared to my previous knowledge of ANY O/S.

I was never attached to WinXP, and never got acquainted with Vista. So I don't miss them at all.

I have installed Ubuntu on my parent's desktop system. It required absolutely no setup whatsoever for EVERYTHING to work perfectly. My mom made a bit of a fuss at first, but she's been using it now for several weeks without a complaint. It's just incredibly stable (compared to Windows).

I also want to support free OSS politically, because it can make computers much more accessible (affordable...) for most people in the world, and I strongly disagree with the control regime of the CopyRight movement.

Addendum: Windows apps I use: Pianoteq (piano modeling), and Encore (music notation). I would like to see a day when Wine is a nice relic and not really necessary for Linux because most software is open-source and written for (or relatively easily ported to) free desktop systems.

ivra
May 29th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Ubuntu is the one OS in my laptop msi s420

travislucas
May 29th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I switched back in 07' when I had just purchased a compaq c500 notebook with a gig of ram and vista pre-loaded, I vomited in my mouth when i was burning 500mb of ram just at start up.

k@e
May 29th, 2008, 09:17 AM
A year and a month ago I have switched to Linux completely after having had a dual-boot setup (XP vs. Ubuntu) for one week. However, this was on my third run trying to do the switch to Linux. I had a lot of trouble with the xserver not using the correct video driver for my graphic card.

MyNameisTheStig
May 29th, 2008, 09:20 AM

Here's what I've done:

Got rid of XP, replaced it with Hardy Heron.
Got myself a Sega Master System and beaten Robotnik.
Got a PS3 and - being 14 - I'm not allowed GTA:IV, so I'm gonna get Lego Indiana Jones: The Video Game when it comes out on June 6th.

I love the Lego Star Wars games, so I thought the Indy one, me being an Indy fan, would be great :)

anyway, my point is, if you want to continue gaming, you can get a Retro console and a 7th Gen, preferalby Wii or PS3 as Microsoft makes Xbox 360

fancy a game on-line? go for the 7th Gen Nintendo or Sony
fancy a game that's amazingly simple and yet still a challenge? go on your Atari 2600 Pac-Man game

alright, maybe you'll just need the 7th Gen, but if you're a true gamer (I'm nearly there) having the Retro console is a necessity

G_man
May 29th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I have Windows in my PC but I don't use it. I keep it for some personal data that is stored in a software and I can't import them in Linux.
If I ever needed somthing from it, I asks my wife to boot it and stay away from the pc for a while until it is completely booted.

I don't wish to break my laptop because of that stupid OS.

I love ubuntu and I feel more comfortable with it. I fix computers all the time.
I wish I can install Ubuntu in every pc I work with but it is hard to do that.

I am proad.Not because I am Micro$oft free but because I am Anti-Micro$oft.

I really hate this company.

btw, I have wormux, battle of wesnoth,lincity, warzone, and many other games installed in Ubuntu.

I admire Ubuntu for what it becomes in such a short period of time

Twotoes
May 29th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I switched from Win 98 to linux when Mandrake 9 came out, then later to Ubuntu's Feisty Fawn and have stayed with Ubuntu ever since. I have XP but only use it when I have to print in colour with my Canon MP510 printer.
Ubuntu does everything I want to do which is mainly photo editing using GIMP.

mnmleon
May 29th, 2008, 01:42 PM
now with renoise 1.9, i'm getting closer to full convert.

theorganloft
May 29th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I posted here earlier and wanted to reiterate that I do not miss Windoze. Everything I do is done on Ubuntu and/or some Debian derivative. I also use the other distributions in special cases where there is custom support for commercial applications. I work for the government and we use Linux to host Windows VM sessions for custom applications.

Personally. I have Media servers (MythTV), Music Studios (Ubuntu Studio), Surveillance systems (Zoneminder), and other machines for file and print etc.

We are not talking about cheap stuff here. I get better quality service from my Linux machines than the Windows Vista user!

I cannot get enough of the power of Linux! NO VIRUSES, NO SPAM, NO SPY WARE! NO CRASHING! I have not lost time or spent a dime on any of these products! I spend my money on hardware.

If you have not tried these systems then you are missing the boat!:guitar:

smarks
May 29th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I switched over to Linux really hardcore last month and im catching on fast. I love linux and i use it all the time except for when i want to play "one" of my games Counter-strike: Source. I did get it to work using wine but my FPS is 30-40 and when im in windows my FPS is 150-250. Thats my only problem. Oh and right now im having an issue with installing latest driver which might fix it but idk and cant get help :( other than that Linux all the way.

Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

mini_g
May 29th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Pretty much completely. I'm just tired of Windows not "just working" with little interaction needed.

As an example from two days ago, I reinstalled Ubuntu in ~1 Hour. That is, back to the state that it was before. All 3 GB (installed) of the extra packages were also reinstalled in that time frame thanks to the backup of the apt cache and the status list.

EnergySamus
May 29th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Holy poo this post is long!!!

manco1911
June 1st, 2008, 01:30 PM
I used guiNDOWS for about 9 years now.. and i have switched to linux (ubuntu) about 2 months ago. A cuple of years ago i tryed suse10.. but i had a lot of compatibility issues, i was a total noob to linux and i had no connection. lol, big problem.

Now im using ubuntu as my primary OS, but i still use XP on a vBox, i work with design programs like Autocad and 3dsMax... and i havent found anything on linux like that.

i hope someday they will apear..

tigrezno
June 1st, 2008, 10:58 PM
i deleted my windows partition on 1999 i think, and since that day, i've never switched again. Linux roolz!

Truedream
June 1st, 2008, 11:56 PM
I switched to ubuntu last night.

ertrules22
June 2nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
I have a laptop that has been windows free for about a year now, and I have never run into any hardware problems or such. Although I don't use it for gaming, we have a family computer with Windows Vista (it's the devil, don't think less of me) which I do use for games and to check my e-mail. (My laptop has 1GB RAM and 22GB HD, it's only the homework doing tool, and no internet connection or wireless in my room :( which sucks). In my opinion, Linux is amazing, but a complete switch with my needs is not possible right now. Vista is a beasty XP with cooler graphics, which just make it more beasty. There's my Linux and Vista rant of the day. :lolflag:

cwill747
June 2nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
Yeah ditto, i use windows xp for gaming, and ubuntu for everything else. Wine just doesn't work as well as i wish it would...

tk03759
June 2nd, 2008, 06:14 PM
I just realized I've been on Ubuntu for a year this month. :) Once its setup, everything is smooth sailing and I love it.

My dad bought me a laptop with Vista installed recently, so I shrunk Vista, just because it was payed for, and decided I can use it to sync my zune. Whenever my zune dies though, I'm letting Ubuntu takeover the whole disk and getting a linux compatible media player.

I looked through Add/Remove programs and searched the net for games that play on ubuntu, and found a ton, even a lot of mmorpgs with nice graphics. I installed them and played them a little, but I don't game much so that's about all the use they got. :razz:

I love using cheese for my webcam too. haha

crazyfuturamanoob
June 2nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
100% Ubuntu and I play the games under wine. Works :)
some games work even better with wine than with windows

JeppeM
June 2nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
Windows XP crached for me this weekend, but i dont really see the need to reinstall it... I've formatted my harddisk and erased all traces of Microsoft from it (Even took off that sticky with "Designed for Vista").

To be honest, this is one of the best decisions i've ever made - I dont think i'll ever go back :)

sjude
June 3rd, 2008, 07:28 AM
so many guys switched to Linux from Windows and are happy with it. I tried many variations of linux like Mandrake etc. Found ubuntu and the ease to install it within Windows partition and was happy with it. Also the drivers were found easily besides the analog modem driver but that should not be a problem. I will figure it out by learning more. Still use Windows but will slowly switch to Linux Ubuntu completely as I find it very good to the eyes. the screens look better. I will use Wine for other Windows applications.

D.Sync
June 3rd, 2008, 10:28 AM
I had just switched to Linux few days ago and Ubuntu is my first choice. Couldn't wonder why though, maybe it's the name that attracts me.

I use tri-booting method since the WinVista is pre-installed when I bought this laptop and later on I manually installed WinXP myself to play games. And now, Linux.

So far the only time I boot to WinXP is for gaming leisure, for any thing else, I choose Linux!

alan tait
June 3rd, 2008, 02:45 PM
I accidentally overwrote Windows instead of setting up a dual. The only thing I miss is a program my mate is developing for Window. I had to do a bit of tweaking with 7.04, but with the newer versions pretty much everything works.

CBrendan
June 3rd, 2008, 03:04 PM
There is alot of killer apps out there that need to be ported to Linux like Photoshop, Illustrator and CorelDraw to name a few. These programs are the ones keeping me from formatting my Windows machine.

zolero
June 3rd, 2008, 03:08 PM
I'm too one who switched completely to Ubuntu Linux. I own two comps, both running Ubuntu only. The main one is called BlueStorm (from which I write this now) and si a Core2 Duo 2.6 GHz with 2 GB RAM, nVIDIA Geforce 7300 GT Silent 512 MB 128 bit, and 250 MB Samsung Spinpoint T166 Silent HDD - everything on Asus P5K motherboard. The second one, called AsusTopi, is an Asus A3H 5010 notebook, Celeron Dothan Mobile 1.6 GHz, 768 MB RAM, 40 GB 5400 rpm Hitachi HDD, with Intel 945 GMLExpress graphics and Realtek Intel HDA sound.

I've switched completely for about 9 months ago, and don't feel to miss something what I've needed till now. Thus, Ubuntu Linux really ROCKS!!! :)

RSingh
June 3rd, 2008, 08:46 PM
Well an OS like Ubuntu , who wouldn't switch. I switched around 3 years ago and will never go back in my right mind go back.

Spaceman9
June 3rd, 2008, 09:26 PM
The only thing that keeps me from only using linux is writing music. It's the only thing I've found linux is weak on. Linux does everything else I need or want to do better than windbloz and as good as the Mac. If a distro had everything setup and working that I need for writing music out of the box I'd never need any other OS again.

With windbloz I just install cakewalk, write songs, save them and that's it. Simple and easy. With linux it's type things at the command line, run Jack but not at the same time as synth, including synthfonts. Configure ports and connections and after a while still nothing works and I start to lose the will to live.

Linux software for writing music is way too complex to set up and much to complex to use. Give me a linux program I can write a music score with without having to become a programmer and save that puppy as a midi file and I'll be one happy linux composer.

Mikecore
June 4th, 2008, 01:16 AM

I left the Windows world late in 03 and have never been back. And will never go back.

Harii
June 4th, 2008, 01:16 AM
I have been using linux about 3-4 years.
I burned a live cd and then my windows hard drive went bad.
I used an live-cd for over a year and i think i was burning a bunch of them to try with no hard drive. (maybe it was going out--bearing or something?)--Who cares?

I never went back to Windows--Why spend more for an OS than what your computer cost(worth)?

I had to switch to AntiX because my old laptop gets too hot with ubuntu.
ubuntu is really not for old boxes.

vigyani
June 5th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I have been using GNU/Linux since Readhat 5 days. Discovered Ubuntu two years ago and have been using it since then on Laptop. Earlier I was not able to use Google Talk (Voice) but now Empathy works fine (including voice) with Google Talk.
I wonder why would one use Windows!!!
:lolflag:
Vig

e_labranche
June 5th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I started using linux with fedora 4 as a webserver/email server.

Worked so well, that it got me curious about running it as a desktop. Tried it and I thought that it wasn't there yet. Then came ubuntu 7.04!!:guitar:

Since then, I have switched to ubuntu for all 4 computers in my home. I run mythtv on my living room with ubuntu to record all my shows and operates as a "media" center. My laptop was also converted, as well as my main computer and my webserver.

I recently converted my 60 year old dad to ubuntu and he loves it.

But...even with all this great stuff, I run vmware and also have windows xp as a dual boot. I need video editing that can just do lots of stuff, and linux is not there yet.

I really believe tan linux IS THE FUTURE, and tat open source will overpower THE major OS ou there.

wthex
June 5th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Started tinkering with Linux circa 1992. Read somewhere on the internet that it was an OS built by programmers for programmers. Within a year I was dual booting and have been ever since.

Sometime later.....

Installed Ubuntu 6.0 on an old laptop, and I thought the RedHat distro's were easy install. My first distro (Slackware I think - can't remember) was a nightmare to install. I had to learn a bit about networking before I could even get started. All these questions during the command prompt installation process... and digging for info on the internet.

I cant believe how easy it is to install Linux now. I think its great and since I installed Hardy I haven't used Windows.

barbedsaber
June 5th, 2008, 09:13 AM
when I reinstalled, I was changing my partitions around, and I decided that I would wipe out windows, and reinstall later (then super grub) but I never got around to reinstalling windows. :) (I had never used it since I installed ubuntu anyway.

Cotopaxi
June 6th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I have two removable hard Disks. On one I had Windows and on the second one I have Kubuntu. A few months ago, playing around with the Windows HD, I totally screwed it and since then I am a very happy Kubuntu (only) user! :)

I allways wanted to abandon Windows, only for the sake of getting out of the Microsoft slavery!

Now I am a free person! :D

Sisyphus48
June 6th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I switched from Windows to Ubuntu Linux about a year ago and I am sure I will never go back to Windows. Occasionally friends ask me to work on their Windows computers and it reinforces how glad I am that I use Linux. It is incredible to me that with all the money Bill Gates has made he hasn't come up with a better operating system. I love Linux and in my opinion it is a far better operating system than Windows and I have my MCSE & MCSA certifications.

A*p
June 12th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I completely switched about three years ago now at home, and at work almost 1 and a half years ago.

Robux the great
June 12th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Only Linux on my hard drive

I really have no need for windows

Regards

Rob

marseille
June 12th, 2008, 11:51 PM
switched totally a little more than a year + a half ago. tried several linux distro flavaz but ubuntustudio stole my heart :KS

enderwig
June 12th, 2008, 11:58 PM
I totally switched over about 2 years ago. Now if I could just convince all the people that call wanting there machines fixed.......

paulderol
June 13th, 2008, 02:34 AM
switched over completely with feisty, now running hardy, and very pleased with the increased understanding of my devices that linux has provided, even though almost everything "just works." I've converted two people, and they are pleased as well.

keiichidono
June 13th, 2008, 03:30 AM
I completely switched to Linux about 3 weeks ago, i have absolutely no need to use Windows so i was able to get rid of it without looking back. It was only yesterday that i started using Ubuntu though, before then i used LinuxMint but then i got fed up with it and have been enjoying Ubuntu ever since. :D

cmay
June 13th, 2008, 03:52 AM
two years just about this month since i completely switched from windows.
to linux .i have 7 old computers i can have linux and bsd
and even a minix install in.
so i have no windows anymore.
the gpl lets me save some money on license and i feel
good about the linux operative system anyway.
i have one old computer that has no mouse input that works so i have minix in that one . its got 16 mb ram and a 800mb harddisk.
the others i have debian bsd and ubuntu in.
ubuntu is for the computer i use for the internet.
debian for my music production and the rest will be gifts when i find
someone that needs a extra computer for something.

mandriva9786
June 13th, 2008, 11:48 AM
i have completeley switched ubuntu 8.04. I did that because 1 i think windows stinks and i cant offord mac. 2 because i got this really good laptop for free from a friend because it had a virus that stoped bios from booting. so i used ubuntu live cd and gparted the harddrive and put linux on it. i tryd to put windows back on but it did not work so i stuck with linux. i love it.

Cool Surfer
June 13th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I love windows for the fact it is one of the best OS. Linux is good, it is picking up. So long the screen resolution n fonts cant match the windows, it can never take over the market from windows.

And if it becomes as good as windows then also I feel it will become a paid software. Like lindows and mandrake, red hat.
Nothing good comes for free. :):guitar:

aalr1986
June 13th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Surfer, I'll have to disagree with you....
1) Windows is vulnerable to virus, and a lot of times, unsecure. Linux isn't.
2) Linux is fast. Windows isn't a looott of times.
3) You need to defrag ur HDD with Windows, if not the system will get slow. Not in Linux.

Wanna know what happens with paid software? Programmers are under pressure, and they have a lot of reports of bugs in their software, they have deadlines to patch those bugs and release the updates. The code is closed to a limited amount of programmers. And if you get to see the source code, you can't change it.
Not with open source. You have updates all the time, you can find bugs, change the code, report it rite away, send the update, and this happens worldwide. Therefore, security patches are being released all the time, which makes the operating system more stable and secure.

Screen resolution? fonts? When you know how to have those fixed in Linux (which is easy), we'll talk.

I suggest you do some more research before coming to that conclusion.

All the best
aaLr1986.

ps: I'm still using XP cause there are some software in my college program that require windows. When I'm done with that, I'm switching completely, I don't really care about games, so whatever. I'm also planning on installing Leopard in my computer since it's compatible with pc, cause I wanna do some audio production stuff. And no one beats Mac on that one.

paulderol
June 13th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I love windows for the fact it is one of the best OS. Linux is good, it is picking up. So long the screen resolution n fonts cant match the windows, it can never take over the market from windows.

And if it becomes as good as windows then also I feel it will become a paid software. Like lindows and mandrake, red hat.
Nothing good comes for free. :):guitar:

i feel kind of bad picking up on this too, but seriously, Ubuntu IS paid software, at least as far as your Red hat and Mandriva examples go, if you check the "Examples" folder in the Home folder on your ubuntu install, you can find DOZENS of cases where people and institutions actively pay for Ubuntu support from Canonical, as you are free to do, as Red Hat and Mandriva users are free to do. Lots of people pay for Software Libre, and the fact that they do it voluntarially might indicate that the software is worth paying for because it is good, not because it has a price tag....

i simplify, but seriously...

perlPiper
June 13th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I've never switched to Linux because I've never run Windoze. I've moved to Ubuntu a few months ago on this ancient laptop (from LAC-linux) which came with RedHat (v3 IIRC). I'm nearly ready to upgrade my main PC from Fedora FC5 to Ubuntu 8.04.

SumyTheSlayer
June 13th, 2008, 07:55 PM
i used dual booting for more than 2 years (first one with OpenSuSE, seccond year with kubuntu). than i gave up windows for fluxbuntu... dual booting for about 2 mounth...

now i use only Fluxbuntu

kodako
June 13th, 2008, 08:25 PM
i have not just switched i have changed habitats this is my niche i don't need a fence around my house plus i've got others to watch my house with me ----> interpretation no need for antivirus and the collaboration to make the kernel more stable keeps me safe.
I love the penguin but the world out there(windows) is very hostile.

Thieflock
June 13th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I did go completely Ubuntu with my desktop for about a week. I got some games working on it but they didn't run great. So I eventually went back to Windows for the gaming, that's it.

smithji2005
June 14th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I have been completely switched for about a year. I finally virtualized my work XP installation, to keep some proprietary stuff available, and run it with VMPlayer. My laptop has been running exclusively Linux for a few years. I haven't missed the Windows OS one bit.

h33tman
June 14th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I have temporarily switched over to Hardy completely for about 6 months now. I do game however, and I am finding it be a slight draw back. Still struggling on installing C&C3. I wanted to switch over to learn more about the coding process and how to work it out. Personally I love these types of challenges. Being that I'm currently deployed I don't have much time for gaming anyway, so I'm not really all that hurt from it. However, I have read recently that the steam engine is being ported over. I can't tell you how happy that made me.

In the long run I will still keep ubuntu, I have used over 20 different distros and I still find this to be the best for me all around. And once I can have my head wrapped around wine enough, I'm sure pretty much all of my needs will be satisfied.

I am a systems admin for my company, and I will be the first to admit how many times I have seen problems where I think, "Gee, if we were running any form of linux and not M$ then we wouldn't be having this issue." Windows has a lot of downfalls, but in all honesty it isn't a "bad" OS. I still prefer Ubuntu though :)

Wobblybob
June 14th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Just removed XP from my laptop and now have Ubuntu running on it and 2 PC's and I hope never to go back!

internettyj
June 14th, 2008, 07:30 PM
MS FREE ! and loving it!

mtb-cliff
June 15th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Linux only on 3 desktops for the past three years and one dualboot laptop with vista. I really wish that the support for the standard items like mice on Xorg intel, power management and samba would be more consistent. Gutsy was not bad. USB mouse worked most of the time. Power Management worked most of the time and samba worked most of the time. My main issue was that the Intel Xorg server didn't support my 22" wide screen. After my upgrade to Hardy, the only thing that works is the 22" wide screen. Mouse constantly locks up and if it is on USB the USB power even goes off. My USB headset has the same issue, in the middle of a call it just stops working. Power management doesn't work at all and samba rarely works. I am thinking seriously about rolling back all three desktops to Gutsy and removing Linux off the laptop. My experience with Hardy has been very frustrating.

bluester
June 15th, 2008, 03:13 AM
I used Linux off and on for the past 8 years.
This year, I decided to go Windows free; though my wife believes the new MS Office cannot be beat - currently she is unwilling to let go.

I purchased a Asus EEE PC in January with Xandros Linux pre-installed.
I like it and was able to perform my daily computing needs, with some adjustment (small screen and keyboard). This became very annoying after awhile so I purchased the following:

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A205-S5825
Specs:
Intel Pentium Dual-Core T2370
2.5 GB PC5300 DDR2 SDRAM
120GB HDD
Aetheros 242x (50007EG) 802.11b/g

Purchased at Best Buy for under $500.00 (memory extra)
Came with Windows Vista (NEVER BOOTED MS OS).
Inserted XUbuntu 8.04 cd, wiped Vista and I was cooking ever since....

Took a little time getting the wireless to work, but now works great.
System is fast and battery life is approximately 2.5 hours, and the only issues / annoyances I currently have are:

1. wireless nic does not auto-connect (madwifi3366 w/wicd)
2. cannot connect to my Lexmark X4530 wireless printer
3. flashplugin-nonfree (ver 9 & 10) do not work on all sites
4. my flash item in firefox do not auto-start (I must press the play arrow that replaces the current video (annoying!)
5. cannot get suspend or hibernate to work - lid closes and system freezes!

These are not show stoppers; just minor annoyances.

Linux Rocks, Windows Stops!:guitar:

nagen
June 15th, 2008, 09:27 AM
nearly free, and i must say i dont feel anywhere near as dirty as i used to :)

WonderStivi
June 15th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I've converted 2 out of 3 of our home PC's to Ubuntu. The remaining one is the HTPC, and that one will keep using XP until there's proper HD-DVD & Blu-ray playback in Linux. Gaming isn't that important anymore, but since there is no software in Linux that is comparable to PowerDVD, XP will live on.

It's a shame...

And yes, I do know you can use Mplayer, but it's still far too buggy to be relied on.

Come on, give me a real media center based on Linux!

vmh
June 15th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I've got my 12" business laptop running Linux, the other two pc's are still running XP.. Mostly just because they're never in use and I don't bother doing anything about it!

keiichidono
June 15th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I've converted 2 out of 3 of our home PC's to Ubuntu. The remaining one is the HTPC, and that one will keep using XP until there's proper HD-DVD & Blu-ray playback in Linux. Gaming isn't that important anymore, but since there is no software in Linux that is comparable to PowerDVD, XP will live on.

It's a shame...

And yes, I do know you can use Mplayer, but it's still far too buggy to be relied on.

Come on, give me a real media center based on Linux!
Mythbuntu?

WonderStivi
June 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM
As far as I know, Mythbuntu doesn't support HD-DVD/Blu-ray anymore than Ubuntu does. You still have to use Mplayer with buggy playback.

zyxyellowxyz
June 15th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I used to be able to say that I have completely switched to Linux, but that is not true anymore.

My husband introduced me to Linux June of 07. I believe it was the newest version of Fedora that was out at that time. Fedora confused me (I had been using windows since 3.1), so I never booted into it.

Then he decided to try Kubuntu, and I loved it! I think after he installed it I only booted into Windows twice after that. We remanaged the partitions and Kubuntu took over the whole hard drive.

And, last month, we reinstalled Windows on another hard drive so we could play certain games. And thats all we do on it, is play the games that wine can't run yet.

Needless to say, I use Kubuntu 99.5% of the time, and WinXP 0.5% of the time.