PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

new2*buntu
December 21st, 2007, 06:23 PM
I have completely switched over to Linux :)

X40nick
December 21st, 2007, 06:32 PM
I did at one time use Linux exclusively, but I had to go back because of my iPod. I like many millions buy there music from iTunes. Now... You get it in the DRM protected M4P format.

At this present moment in time Linux doesn't support M4P, and there is no REAL good iPod sync programs available.

But I don't use Windows that much, and if Dell sold more laptops with Linux pre-installed (here in the UK) I would buy them, at the moment they only sell the Inspiron 6400. :(

I know this sounds bad, but if Linspire/Novell releases a commercial Linux distro with all the support. I may have to buy it.

But until I have full support then I will always have a Windows partition. But soon it will disappear...

I did own a Mac but I didn't enjoy the experience, to be honest I would rather have Vista than OSX.

Nick.

jonelnz
December 21st, 2007, 11:08 PM
I bought a new system about five weeks ago (HP Pavilion a6260a) which had ******* Vista ultimate installed. PLayed with that for 2 days then wiped both partitions. (******* and recovery partition) Flyimg solo now with Ubuntu 7.10 and loving it!

ruffwuk
December 22nd, 2007, 01:12 AM
I am completely Ubuntu
No more windows in my house. My wife even uses it on her laptop for her work. My kids use it for school, and I game, and mimic all my work environment on it. To be honest, we use Citrix to access lots of work apps and they run better and more stable using Citrix on Ubuntu.
I have shown my IT coworkers that i can run every program in the office with a Linux pc. I am trying to convince my company to get rid of *******.

donkyhotay
December 22nd, 2007, 01:58 AM
I'm a dedicated linux user and ubuntu has become my distro of choice. I run it on all of my personal computers. I especially love it on my pet webserver as it doesn't waste resources running a GUI and is really easy to administer with the CLI.

whiteraven
December 22nd, 2007, 02:42 AM
I'm a recent convert to Linux, been running Ubuntu exclusively for several months after wiping my workstation clean of Window$. Flat got tired of having firewalls, antivirus, anti-spyware, anti-this anti-that, instability, and on top of all that having to "phone home" any time I changed some hardware or got a new machine.

Wish I would have had the smarts to convert sooner. Try now and then to convert friends and hear all the excuses listed in another thread titled "Lamest Excuses..." Sorta like preaching religion though - some get it, some don't. Easier to stay in their comfort zone I guess...

omega_user
December 22nd, 2007, 04:44 AM
Linux only. Gaming has been a hassle but I've learned to play what *Nix has got (Eve, ETQW, Mupen64, Nexuiz). I can't print at my house because I have an unsupported Dell printer [reminiscent of the bad days] so I just flash drive everything then print it at my school's library. Other then a Vbox of XP SP3 for QA testing/general tomfoolery I am gladly Ubuntu-Only
http://appuntiubuntu.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/ubuntu-coa.png

Dvertigo
December 22nd, 2007, 04:57 AM
I've finally made the switch, whether it stays that way depends on what exactly I will need for next semester. Began using ubuntu almost two years ago (Breezy). It, and linux as a whole has come very far, and with the addition of languageTools for openoffice, and the update to compiz and various other improvements, plus my general dislikes of Windows, it has been easy. Gaming is a problem, but I'm working on fixing that as I don't do much PC gaming. Feeling very stable with ubuntu for the first time.:guitar:

Victormd
December 22nd, 2007, 06:28 AM
I've been using Ubuntu for a few months now... I've always liked the terminal based environment and gave linux a shot in 2000 or so (I wasn't talented enough to get everything to work) then in 2006 but could never stop using Windows because of specific programs I needed at the time... now, migrating and, even though I still have a few windows specific programs, I've been able to accommodate 99.9% Ubuntu + 0.01% XP + 0.09% XP crashes... hehehehe... Now I only keep windows around because of my Cannon MP460, but we'll see how long that lasts... :)

JeffoOfMetal
December 22nd, 2007, 06:42 AM
I now completely use Ubuntu, Xubuntu on my desktop for maximum performance, and I am trying out Kubuntu for the first time on my new Laptop. About two weeks after I recieved it.

I even tried to convert my friends, pointing out every little error message and crash to them on their Windows machines.

It's great fun.

:)

zipperback
December 22nd, 2007, 11:33 AM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

Ubuntu Linux is the only OS that I use.

It meets all my personal and business needs.

- Jack
:popcorn:

jperez
December 22nd, 2007, 12:21 PM
I'm done with Windows. I will be planning on buying a laptop that has...[shudder]...Windows installed, but I will replace it with Debian Etch 4.0r1 with either GNOME or KDE as the desktop. Better if I'm only going to use it for school and want to play music and the such.

All my other PC's are Linux-only computers, with the exception of an older Packard Bell that's in my basement gathering dust. Also, my mothers computer is running Windows 98SE, but with good reason. She's older and not used to Linux, but I can change that. When she decides to use her PC again (deal with God made here), then I will introduce her to how easy Linux can be to use, mostly if she's just playing games.

Hell, my wireless support now being an option, I'll be able to update her PC from my laptop or my main tower PC without even having to go to it and do it manually, and all while she's playing her games or surfing the net.

Linux RULES!

Jesse~

Ocxic
December 22nd, 2007, 03:21 PM
i fumbled around with red hat and suse unable to install, b4 i found ubuntu, even then I almost went back to windows cause i really didin;t know what i was doin nor how anything worked. I was planning to re-install windows just b4 a google link brought me to these forums,
not only have i been using ubuntu for almost 3-4 years now, if it wasn;t for these forums I would've gone back to windwos, thank god i found this site

spiritraveller
December 22nd, 2007, 04:19 PM
Ubuntu Gutsy on my Linux and my laptop. Been using Linux near-exclusively for several years now.

I still have a Win XP partition on my laptop for compatibility purposes. It is very rare for me to use it, and I haven't booted it in several months. One of these days, I will get around to reinstalling Ubuntu to take up the whole hard drive and the Windows partition will run on VirtualBox... or just disappear.

And I should also mention that I use Ubuntu in my law practice. I am a solo practitioner, and Ubuntu has everything I need. If I ever hire an associate, I suppose I'll have to look into some sort of groupware, but there seem to be a lot of FOSS options for that.

Matej_C.
December 22nd, 2007, 07:57 PM
hi everybody,
i am using dual boot with XP, but it isnt on often.
i need it only for my mobile phone, well its windows mobile 5 and everybody knows how windows works, you never know when it decides to erase something from your mobile(contacts, programs)
i am waiting only for something that gets multisync to work with my mobile phone, than i will finally get it out of my computer:guitar:

graphikeye
December 22nd, 2007, 10:38 PM
I installed Ubuntu last week and was extremely delighted to see that I could finally get my Broadcom wireless card to work. I had been tampering with other distros (Fedora, Mandriva) but could never get the wireless to work. I'm extremely pleased with Ubuntu. At this point, I have only one use for windows: Photoshop. I really don't use Windows for anything else and I'm very pleased with this configuration.

iris-n
December 22nd, 2007, 11:36 PM
I installed ubuntu a couple of months ago, and was dual booting with XP. Then I realized that ubuntu *never* crashed this whole time and was a bit faster. Just formated the virii thing.

bufsabre666
December 23rd, 2007, 01:22 AM
i had a period of about 10 months ((oct06 - aug07)) of just ubuntu and honestly i loved it, but eventually the lack to 100% gaming support made me miss my windows games dearly, but then again under wine with cedega, oblivion ran just fine ((thats all i really need but i miss other games too))

Schrodinger
December 23rd, 2007, 04:09 AM
I started using Linux about 7 years ago, up until about 6 months ago i used both Linux and Windows about equally for different things. I have found that everything that I could want to do in Windows I can do better in Linux and that most pieces of software that matter to me which are developed in Windows are either also developed in Linux (for example- Mathematica, ROOT, etc...) or I can find a replacement which more often than not suits my needs even better than its Windows counterpart(I used Quicken for about 6 years, I finally switched to GNUCash which does not have as many special effects and pretty stuff, but it does everything else I need without the added complexities of erroneous Wizards and strange things like that). Wine has also come a long way in stability as far as being able to run Windows software on Linux and there are many commercial suits available which can achieve near native speeds when emulating a Windows environment (VMWare, Win4Lin, etc...).

The moral of the story:

I can do one of two things:
1) Continue to run Windows for the VERY few programs that I like which are developed exclusively in Windows, but worry about what these programs are doing behind the screens, whether they have back doors coded in, and whether the Windows Operating System itself has these similar features (hey, it sounds like conspiracy theory this is an information driven world and lets face it, marketing pays for the internet!). I can also deal with the crashing in Windows, the annoying non-reverse compatibilities of the OS releases (Which I concede have gotten a little better with Vista its not like the switch from Windows 3.0 to Windows 95 back in the day!!!), and most importantly, take up all that space on my hard drive!!

2) I can deal with an open source operating system and open source software, which works perfectly for my research (High Energy Physics), is completely natural for a programmer, and has just about all of the software I need- most of which is free (not shareware- FREE). A great software package tool that eliminates the need to spend hours searching the web for stuff, etc etc etc...

hmmmmmm... I am not sure which option, I suppose I could do both, but number one really sucks!! So I choose number 2 exclusively!!

Just my 2 cents worth!
Cherio!
:guitar:

cwej
December 23rd, 2007, 07:12 AM
I have used Linux nearly exclusively for work and grad school for over two years now (Ubuntu or Kubuntu).

That said...the one caveat is that I bought Crossover Office, over which I installed my legacy MS Office 2000. I've retained MS Office mainly as a fall-back for those increasingly rare occasions when I need to convert/open the odd MS Office file which is formatted such that an otherwise compatible Linux application can't quite convert or handle the it correctly enough. Usually this involves a Power Point or Word file with an MS proprietary graphics format embedded. This happens so infrequently that the last time I actually had to use MS Office was several months ago, even though I use my Linux laptop everyday at work in a largely Windows network environment.

mr32123
December 23rd, 2007, 08:36 AM
Been using ubuntu a lot since feisty (which is when, in my opinion, it actually started getting reliable. I had huge issues with my display and xorg on edgy which is when I started playing with it) Now I use it much more often. Unfortunately I still can't jump off WinXP. Darn CAD.

merlinDwizzard
December 23rd, 2007, 04:52 PM
I have a dual boot setup and very rarely if ever boot into windows. When I do it usually screws up my grub and I then have to fix it. I have a question. I want to do away with windows altogether but I do not want to compromise my current gutsy install (by now I have a bunch of stuff I don't want to lose). Can I delete the windows partition and increase my ubuntu partition size? Or do I have to start from scratch? Perhaps this is not the right place to ask this, but since we're talking about being windows free, I thought it wouldn't hurt. Thanks for any input.

dlegend
December 23rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
I have a dual boot setup and very rarely if ever boot into windows. When I do it usually screws up my grub and I then have to fix it. I have a question. I want to do away with windows altogether but I do not want to compromise my current gutsy install (by now I have a bunch of stuff I don't want to lose). Can I delete the windows partition and increase my ubuntu partition size? Or do I have to start from scratch? Perhaps this is not the right place to ask this, but since we're talking about being windows free, I thought it wouldn't hurt. Thanks for any input.

You can delete the windows partition and increase the resize it no problem. If you are worried about resizing the Ubuntu partition you could just create another ext3 partition and mount it in Ubuntu for use. You'll need to use the Ubuntu Live CD to resize the Ubuntu partition if you choose to do it that way (can't resize a partition that is already mounted).

merlinDwizzard
December 23rd, 2007, 05:11 PM
Hey, Thanks ! I wasn't expecting such a quick response.By doing it this way it will not alter anything? Cool ! Getting ready to do it right now. Thanks

Trymic
December 24th, 2007, 12:26 PM
I cannot say completely because when i need to use autocad i had to dual boot to the stupid XP.
But with time the companies will realise the pottencial of ubuntu and start launching linux version of their application
hopefully

OllieJ
December 24th, 2007, 03:04 PM
******* is need for
- DVD ripping if "tricky"
- MPEG4 encoding if DVD::RIP fails to handle multi AC3 streams
- Writing invoices with Lexware
- Unrar files when Linux unrar fails
- Learning software for the kids as only avail for M$
- Video edit with Magix as it is simple and powerful @ the same time

murmel
December 24th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I use Ubuntu Gusty Gibbons on my laptop and server. Windows Vista x64 on my workstation, for gaming.. But will propably change quite soon.. =)

tinyfusion
December 27th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I've been running dual-boot xp (then vista) and ubuntu laptops for about two years. i don't game, so the only reason I haven't switched entirely to ubuntu is because of the still more than occasional sound/video/networking glitches and the inconsistencies that still pop-up in compiz (why can't I resize firefox, after lots of time trying to get it to work?) So, at times, I get tired of futzing around and just need to use windows. Also, as someone mentioned, nero is great and as i have about 14K digital pictures, lots of video, etc., i still think the apps for managing that stuff is slicker in windows. Plus, there are some gadgets I have which I use frequently and they don't play nice with Linux. On the plus side, my wife is non-technical, and just needs to browse the web, and she likes ubuntu and has not problem using it.

recently purchased a macbook, that experience has been terrific.after spending about a week so far with leopard, and with the continuous improvements in ubuntu - i don't see how MS could justify putting out such a steaming pile of crud like vista.

NickyT
December 27th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I would have completely switched to Linux already, but I still need Windows for my heavily Windows-dependent games that will not run in Cedega or Wine. I am moving out of the PC gaming phase for now though as my Xbox 360 has been taking over, so hopefully sometime soon I can finally get rid of that Windows partition.

Northsider
December 27th, 2007, 10:24 PM
I don't think I will ever switch over completely...but I am wishing that I dedicated more hard drive space to my Linux partition. time to change that... :-]

Praadur
December 27th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Anyone who's seen my post in the topic about why one might've picked Ubuntu over Windows will already know my primary reason. I feel that with the way that Windows is built, it's a bit of a crime against self to use it as I feel the OS only leads to harm anyway. I'm only really comfortable with a flavour of Linux these days, and Ubuntu is my choice.

I'm a gamer too, but I tend to prefer indy- and retro-gaming on the PC and 90 per cent of the time, the latest wine runs these beautifully out of the box and even if it doesn't then the next release does. Indy games such as Aquaria and Transcendence run very well, and some even have Linux builds, such as the DROD series.

I do play mainstream games but I have a PS3 for that, and unlike the X-Box 360 (sorry fans), the software on the PS3 feels like it really was designed for the console and works really well. So I keep my gaming to the PS3. The only thing I really do miss are mods, but it seems that mods are starting to appear on consoles now... thanks to Unreal Tournament III.

It all comes down to how I felt about the situation though, as the last time I bought a new computer I simply felt I couldn't curse it with Windows again. In a Linux distro, everything feels so much more clean, generally better, and earnest.

bonejob
December 28th, 2007, 03:53 AM
I wish I could say I have, but I scan a lot and unfortunately, my high-end Canon scanner is not supported in Linux - at least not as far as I can tell. It's odd... it seems like the cheap scanners - whatever the brand - are supported, but the high-end ones aren't.

I use a Canon Canoscan 9950F. I bought it new in 2006. Linux sees the device through the USB port all right, even identifying it as a Canon device of some sort. But as far as I can tell, there is NO DRIVER for it. If anyone knows if a Linux driver for this scanner exists and if so, where I can get it, I would be most grateful. Then I could happily join the ranks of the Microsoft-free!

zipperback
December 28th, 2007, 08:55 AM
3 things keep me using xp on my laptop(however ubuntu is my main OS for everything else so i use my laptop very little):

my canon i850 printer.

I have a newer Canon IP6700D printer, and it is recognized by the current version of Ubuntu 7.10 and I was able to print a test page correctly.

You should give the current version of Ubuntu 7.10 a try, It's a major step forward for my ability to print.

ashley18
December 28th, 2007, 09:23 AM
hi, im new in using ubuntu.. can u help me?? why i cant access mail.yahoo.com, or my google mail?? please help me.. please...

theorganloft
December 28th, 2007, 01:04 PM
It ihas been 2 more months of Ubuntu only and I still do not miss Windows. The other day I needed to access a supposedly Windows only web-applicaition that required a Citrix terminal services client.

It took some manual configuration and help from the forums but I got the client working. I fact, it works with Firefox! This is another way to access Windows applications. BTW, RDP remote access clients work too!

I read in this chain of comments that many of you can't get things working. You want it to be a seamless transition and you want to compare Ubuntu to Windows. I understand you. It is hard to get away from the M$ way of doing things. But I see change. Manufacturers are beginning to help by making drivers and firmware available to Linux users. It only makes sense! I commend Ubuntu for helping to make things simple. I also commend groups like ALSA, JACK, OpenOffice and other organizations for making it easy for you. This is a big world and there are many talented technicians that were locked out of Microsoft's big monopoly. You had to do it their way only, use their templates. Now technicians have the means to create again and offer new inovative and inexpensive ways to bring services to the average consumer! Even a poor family can have Linux on old computing hardware!

I am building another new computer that will run in Virtual Box http://www.virtualbox.org. I did some preliminary test and it seems to work well. This way I can have several instances of Ubuntu running and customized to do special tasks such as web servers, application servers, etc. I will even have Windows Vista, 2003 server, and XP running in Virtual Box. All set up in my home studio!:guitar:

mcmilner
December 28th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I completely switched a few months ago. Now, however, I'm trying to install Virtual Box because a friend sent me The Complete New Yorker for Christmas. I've got it installed. Now if I can get it to read the data files, I should be fine.

Thingymebob
December 28th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Windows free for 2 years, My 4 year old sons laptop still has Ubuntu / XP installed as dual boot but windows hasn't been booted for 2 years, I've just never got round to removing it. Still miss a good AutoCAD compatible CAD package but fumble along with QCad for now.

My son: "Where do I do drawing on my computer?" (nothing installed)
ME: ---SSH his machine, sudo apt-get install tuxpaint--- "Here!"
My son at school the next day "Drawing on this computer is rubbish!!!" (Refering to MS Paint)
I've had to take his laptop into the school to show them what he uses at home, they think its fantastic.

crjackson
December 28th, 2007, 11:04 PM
It ihas been 2 more months of Ubuntu only and I still do not miss Windows. The other day I needed to access a supposedly Windows only web-applicaition that required a Citrix terminal services client.

It took some manual configuration and help from the forums but I got the client working. I fact, it works with Firefox! This is another way to access Windows applications. BTW, RDP remote access clients work too!

I'm interested in what steps were involved in getting Citrix to work under firefox. I have to keep windows for this reason. It's used to access a company program I must work with every day, and some times at home.

RPDiep
December 28th, 2007, 11:13 PM
A few weeks ago I got fed up with M$ and decided not to use Windows as an OS anymore. I therefore partitioned my entire harddrive in ext3 partitions, installed Gutsy and kept using it.
Wine covers most of my games, and Dosbox runs perfectly for the oldies. My Windows XP MCE2005 license is now running in a virtual environment: VirtualBox is running as a charm.
(the only things I really need it for: to play backgammon with my friend over the windows live messenger, and to synchronize with my windows mobile phone. So I really don't need it :lolflag: )

bgast1
December 29th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Wish I could. Until I can find a way to play my games in Linux, or suitable games for Linux it just won't happen. Also, currently having sound card issues. What I really need is someone that can answer all of my questions with regard to games, sound and video and then I would switch completely in a heartbeat.

chriswyatt
December 29th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Just decided to make a complete switch to Ubuntu as I never use my Windows partition anymore. It has proved useful when I've messed up my Linux partition but, it just takes up too much valuable space, it needs to go :) .

chriswyatt
December 29th, 2007, 02:50 AM
hi, im new in using ubuntu.. can u help me?? why i cant access mail.yahoo.com, or my google mail?? please help me.. please...

Wrong thread.

john91
January 1st, 2008, 07:34 AM
I'm currently dual-booting winxp pro and gutsy...the only reason windows is still on my computer is cause I have to have it for some school applications like loggerpro and mathcad...other than that, i'm all linux.

caricc
January 2nd, 2008, 04:41 AM
Count me in as a complete ubuntu user. I had some corrupted files on my ubuntu dual boot with xp. So I got tired of trying to fix the problem. So I just went ahead and reloaded 7.10 to use the entire hd. Ahhhhh
what a relief.

PurposeOfReason
January 2nd, 2008, 04:44 AM
I keep Vista around because
a) It came with my laptop, I paid for my laptop which means I paid to have it. I'm not wasting my money.
b) If I ever need it for college, it's there.

RavenD
January 2nd, 2008, 11:16 PM
I've made the switch completely on my work PC. Still run XP-64 on my gaming rig, but at some point i'm gonna add an Ubuntu VM in vmware workstation for web browsing etc.

revelationman
January 3rd, 2008, 11:52 AM
Not yet I still have Vista on the other partition ,
There is still lots of work to be done in Linux for it to be mainstream
If you look at the forum and seeall the main issues ,
Case in point plugins for firefox sometimes they work and sometimes they do not
Some sites use Windows Media Player stream , and sometimes that works with Totem like the BBC but sometimes it does not
I do think Ubuntu is onto a good thing but I feel still needs a bit more work to make it more mainstream
I do not think the fault is with Ubuntu but with companies not ready to adopt Linux. Lord Bill has most of the world in a trance , people link still computers with Microsoft ,
I think they should have a browser that has all the plugins installed already this will save lots of time for end user.
But other then that I do enjoy this system it is fun to use

:guitar:

allforcarrie
January 3rd, 2008, 12:00 PM
1. i always try to do something that pushes my computer to far and crashes linux.
2. my wife sees how frustrated i get and wont use linux
3. games

Centx
January 3rd, 2008, 04:57 PM
A pure linux (ubuntu) user on the third year, It's really neat!!! =)
actually, linux is quite the app's galore, that alone could get people switching =D

hockey97
January 3rd, 2008, 06:15 PM
I have ubuntu and windows xp. I don't really think I would change to just ubuntu.

I have audio problems I mainly use ubuntu for hosting website's and stuff a server.

I use windows for games and also art like blender . I tried it in ubuntu but everytime I make somthing soon the computer freezes and then I would have to reboot.

get's annoying when you are working on a 3d model that will take days to complete and then ubuntu freezes in the middle and you didn't save it.

windows dosen't mainly freeze I never had that problem if an error occured in blender it would give me an error window and then the problem would shutdown.

if the makers of ubuntu can get blender and other well know software vendors and make a build in support system in the OS where it can prevent just a freeze mybe popup a window when the app stops replying and then close the ap.

if that happens then I may consider changing completely.

my audio at random times works then other random times dosen't work.
depends on bootup like if I boot my computer and I don't hear the ubuntu song thing then that whole seesion won't have audio until I reboot and if I reboot and no audio again then I have to keep rebooting until I hear the ubuntu song.
but it comes on at random times sometimes after rebooting 7 times or more sometimes it just plain-out don't work.

they have to fix some of those problems before I make a complete change to ubuntu.

UnRkiSt
January 3rd, 2008, 06:19 PM
I've always been a unix guy, so I've never had to 'switch' from M$ *******

graphikeye
January 3rd, 2008, 06:40 PM
The more I use Ubuntu, the more my Linux partition gets bigger and bigger...

P4oL1n0
January 3rd, 2008, 06:44 PM
I've completely remove Windows two years ago. I don't play with PC, I prefer console like xbox360 or PS3 for these things.... and I never disputed my decision!! :guitar:

Besides.... I like Ubuntu games :D
bye

markp1989
January 3rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
im currently about 95% linux, would love to make it 100% but i have a lexmark printer

MethosCR
January 3rd, 2008, 07:39 PM
I installed Ubuntu 7.10 about 2 weeks ago... I still have a hard disk on 'Weendow$', but I only boot with that one when I want to play games... I'm still a gamer at heart.

For anything else: college works, music, image editing, browsing the web, etc, I use Ubuntu.

For me, that's the last issue remaing for GNU/Linux: Full gaming. But we're right on the way. \\:D/

NDarch
January 3rd, 2008, 09:01 PM
I tried Mandrake many years ago, but went back to Windows quickly. However, recently I tried d-booting with WInXP and different Linux Distros. First,a week of Kubuntu. Then a week of ubuntu. Finally, a week of OpenSusie. After thinking about the three, I removed WinXP and fully installed ubuntu about two weeks ago. Sorry Billy--but after going through Windows 2 (want fun that was way back when, DOS was better), Win3.11, Win95, Win98, Win2000, and WinXP, it's ubuntu all the way from now on.

My wife loves her MAME, I love my Doom, we both like DOSBox games and everything else, including doing as much work on ubuntu as we did in WinXP. And the speed of everything from starting to shutting down to downloading is at least twice as fast as WinXP, especially movies (legal ones of course--Public Domain).

Sure, there were a few problems during the past two weeks, but I've found that so far everything that I thought was limiting in ubuntu was actually my being limited in knowledge of Linux. Searching through these forums has answered all my questions so far, and aided me greatly in setting my Distro up the way I want it. I likely will eventually find some new or perceived problem to ask about, but it's even more likely that if I have a problem, someone else has already had it and asked here about it so the answer is a simple forum search away.

paviola
January 5th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Ofcourse !
When I got my laptop yesterday, I ran it on vista once, just to let it set up things, then I installed Daryna.. :-)
That's the way.... Only problem I have is that the fingerprint reader is not working ?

Bulters-Trainor
January 5th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I can proudly say that I am 100% Ubuntu. I was only able to so this after the nvidia drivers got added to Ubuntu, so no I can game on Ubuntu as well.

metalpancake
January 5th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I dual boot Ubuntu and xp, but I only really use ubuntu.:)

cherva
January 5th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Last time I had to reinstall Windows ( I reinstall windows every 6 months ) I just skipped this step and now after 6 months of dual booting and 2 HDDs strangely crashed exactly 3 months after reinstalling WIN XP and Feisty I'm PROUD 100% LINUX GUY.

Adler
January 5th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Hi All,

I've been running Linux, and open source for the past 5+ years.

Running Linux, as my OS has been a pleasure. I'm presently running Linux Mint.

It is all those open source goodies thatr keep me developing Sites, Forums, Blogs, etc.

Switch to another OS, rather than M$, I have. And, done a lot with it. Also, along the way have found great friends to help me along.

Linux + Open Source Rules!

brunolabs
January 5th, 2008, 03:47 PM

me too :)

Adler
January 5th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Hey Gamers,

Go to my Blog.

http://jjmacey.net/blog/2008/01/04/linux-3d-gaming/.

The big thing that I am looking for is a good Game Controller.

I'm working on several things, and one of those is Games.

There is enough Linux entertainment out there.

What are the M$ / Ubuntu / Linux guys looking to play? Give me the list...

Or, what station let's me run both Linux + Games?

gn2
January 5th, 2008, 06:48 PM
On New Year's Day I re-wrote my partition table, eliminating my NTFS partitions on my last Windows PC.

I switched from a dual-boot Xp and Xubuntu 7.04 32-bit to a single boot of Xubuntu 7.10 64-bit.

Annoyingly the IT hardware at work uses Xp Embedded and there's absolutely no way for me to use Linux. Grrr.

O9xx19xx29
January 6th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I use both of Win and Ubuntu because my works need Adobe Apps
It's very hard to find driver for linux ( scan, print... )

ZBREAKER
January 7th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Nuked my WindowsXP partition some months ago and never looked back. Currently running Ubuntu and Sidux.....life is good.....even my limited gaming.

NineseveN
January 8th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Remove and destroy Windows Vista: Check
Remove and destroy Windows XP: Check
Loving the Ubuntu goodness on every PC in the house: Check.

Lostincyberspace
January 8th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I have to to have windows on my computer since my roommates use it some times and they don't want to use linux. and I cant get diablo2 to work right in wine.

Tarmael
January 8th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Even though I run pretty much all the most important games on Linux I still have a Windows Install in case I go LANing and come across a non WINE or Cedega friendly game.

Cedega runs for me properly: Oblivion, D2, WoW, KOTOR2, and even this physics testing app that I like to play around with.

So on that note, I pretty much have switched completely to Linux, however for ease of LANing, my Windows shame is still there.

Haven't used it in quite some time.

Unfortunately that makes my answer a 'no'.

kk_furtiva
January 8th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I use to have XP and Linux with dual boot. But 6 months ago I completely removed Windows and installed a fresh Ubuntu system on my notebook. Now I am using Xubuntu and I am pretty happy with it.

I also have something to say to all the gamers out there:

If you want to play games in Linux you should demand game companies Linux versions of their games. Make your money worth!

So Long, Farewell XP!

;-)

Cheers,
Leandro

Gigamo
January 8th, 2008, 02:03 PM
My desktop is still a Windows machine. However, when Hardy is released that'll be changing immediatly.

My laptop is dualbooting XP64 and Xubuntu, but I actually never boot into XP anymore ever since I installed linux. The only times I do is when I feel like playing Warhammer Online beta, haven't tried to run it in Cedega yet :p

theorganloft
January 8th, 2008, 03:15 PM
This thread does not seem to ever end and I have posted here before. This week I got MythTV running on my Gutsy. It took me a couple of days to get the drivers lined up correctly but now it is working!

MythTV is basically a Linux media center. I have Live TV, Music, Internet, and other media related software and hardware that I can use in my home theater system. It works like a TIVO unit but it also does Netflix and other internet media downloads. IIt has a web interface that my wife likes. She can record the awful Desperate Housewives show now and watch it like a TIVO where if she misses a part, she can rewind on the fly. Go to the MythTV (http://www.mythtv.org/)website and check out the features.

My goal is to build a complete audio, music, and video studio using Linux. So far Ubuntu has fulfilled all the demands. I tried other distributions but it is very hard to beat the APT install system. I tried compiling and editing config files and it is tiring and sometimes irritating. With Apt-get, you get it done.

My biggest issue is with the video resolution settings. It is hard to get a optimum setting that satisfies me but I had those problems in ******* too.

Loving it more and more every day. :guitar:

sageb1
January 9th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I first installed Ubuntu Linux 6.06 LTS on the box in my sig on Aug 5 2006 from 23:19 UTC which took 17 minutes to install.

Use of it continued until about March 16 2007 and resumed around August 18 2007 when Google Desktop slowed down my Xp box.

I never looked back since then except to transfer digital camera pictures to it from the old XP box, and to burn other pics.

The other box is an Intel 440BX mobo with Celeron P3 700 MHz with 512 MB RAM which is currently the Ubuntu Linux LiveCD thin client box. After two sessions in this role I've decided that it needs another 256 MB of RAM.

MchSeven
January 9th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I finally have to say I have successfully completely switch to linux. I started to use linux roughly 4 years ago, my first distro was ubuntu 4.10. Yeah that to me seems long ago. I dont need windows for anything anymore, all the cool games I like to play can be run in ubuntu so im set.

LINUX IS ROOT!

tetrafuran
January 9th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Windows simply doesn't work with this computer. Fortunately this has helped me to give up the bad habit of downloading warez etc. I have noticed that nowadays most windows users steal programs and games from p2p networks without thinking twice about it. Using linux has pushed me to more ethical computing.

Rowanmf
January 10th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Hi to all ...

My first delve into linux was red hat 6 , i was pushed by my best buddy to do it promise , so for a long time i dual booted , then after my linux buddy was killed in a car accident , i decided to stop messing around and try better , got my first copy of ubuntu 4 on my work laptop for about 6 months , got my first tattoo (see my avatar), then switched to suse , been through versions 9 through to 10.3 (for a week) and said time to try ubuntu again last week and got 7.10 , wow what a difference so far , i am so impressed ....thanks to all who have made it what it is today ... so i have been ******* free for a long time and still wont miss it ...

Rowan

Kingskid
January 10th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I have dual boot on my Fujitsu-Siemens laptop. I booted into Windows last time in summer 2007 & that was only because I was in countryside & the only internet connection was GPRS through my mobile. So far I didn't get bluetooth working for me under Ubuntu.
Neverthless I plan to completely reinstall my laptop, get rid of any trace of Windows & have only Linux file system and OS there.
I use Ubuntu everyday for office work. There are things that work more smooth under Windows but I try to cope with it. However I'd appreciate better bluetooth support, batch renaming & resizing of pictures & better compatibility with MS Office.
My boss is quite impressed & considers Linux too :)

pat_pat
January 10th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I still use windows in my old Laptop but I use Linux as My Main OS

mirexastan
January 10th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Hi all. Most if not all 257 post were all exhorting the goodness, the wholesomeness and good virtues on the usage of Ubuntu.so how can
so many ppl be wrong? The question is completely switching over so I
guess, I'm still not in this category as yet. Been dabbling in Kubuntu,7.04,Suse, Mandrake and other distros. Even boot up on Mac
once but since couldn't get the machine to log on to my router, gave
up on it after a few hours of tingling with no results.
Right now, using kvm switch with 2 cpu's on 1 monitor. still not very
efficient with the using of this distro I guess.8 years back, I was a
complete newbie in computer tech. Don't even know how to put on the
cd's on my 1st computer bought with retirement funds which the
government encouraged.( with the data side facing up!! :lolflag:!) Learned to
format & install Windows after about 2 months of tingling and paying
the technician at the computer shop. At that point in time, linux is not
so easily mastered for those without any formal education on the
jargons of computer language. It had gone a long way from then.
Now, installing Ubuntu is a piece of cake, so I guess, more and
more ppl will be going into it. One thing I do agree with all 257 post
here and it is, well, UBUNTU IS THE WAY FORWARD!!! More efforts
should be loaded on to the part of gaming although I am not a
heavy gamer for that matter, but nowadays, wherever you look,
it is mostly youngster's on Windows playing online games to while
away all those precious hours of their life. What a waste...Hope
I won't get flamed for this long winded digress bit of infos of my
chanced meeting with THE Distro of the future...UBUNTU all the
way...:) tata.

tigerplug
January 10th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I switched completely just a few days ago - so far loving it!
I'm going to be posting my experiences at www.shanekillian.net

trannypunk
January 10th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I have. Photoshop 7 runs well under wine. I have no reason to use windows anymore.

days_of_ruin
January 12th, 2008, 06:12 AM

Depends on what games you play.etqw is a new game that has a
linux installer and all the older games work in wine
:guitar::guitar:

btw whats windows again?:lolflag:

tbrminsanity
January 12th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I only use Windows at work, and my wife uses it to play her games on the computer (Sims 2). My work has authorized me to load Red Hat Enterprise Edition so soon the only time will ever have to see Windows is when my wife plays Sims 2.

As for me playing games, I love Battle for Westnoth and Tremulous, so I don't need a Win Box. Plus I have my PS3 and its games.

bwhite82
January 12th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I finally deleted my Windows partition last week, I hadn't used it for many months. I'm not a gamer so I had absolutely no need for it. This freed a partition on which went FreeBSD.

numbah_one's
January 13th, 2008, 12:06 AM
i have been using ubuntu for quite some time now, i even installed it in my laptop,and even use wubi in my pc,and im planning to completely remove xp,however there are still things that i cant get my hands away from xp,such as games,dvd's..and there is these thing about my monitor..i coulnt resize it,my intel graphics card say's the default should be 800x600 which is pretty big..im not using flat screen,just the regular bulky monitor..if i completely install ubuntu would i be able to resize it the way i do with xp?

sstusick
January 13th, 2008, 12:36 AM
i have been using ubuntu for quite some time now, i even installed it in my laptop,and even use wubi in my pc,and im planning to completely remove xp,however there are still things that i cant get my hands away from xp,such as games,dvd's..and there is these thing about my monitor..i coulnt resize it,my intel graphics card say's the default should be 800x600 which is pretty big..im not using flat screen,just the regular bulky monitor..if i completely install ubuntu would i be able to resize it the way i do with xp?
Wrong Thread.

Create a new thread in the support forum and someone will be glad to help you with your problem(s).

bakketti
January 13th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I am dual booting my Inspiron 1420 with Gutsy and XP. Three things are keeping me from deleting the XP partition:

1. VPN and Work. My work is all Windows so I'm stuck if I want to work from home.

2. Engineering software. Most of the engineering world still uses Windows for CAD, analysis, etc (especially CAD!).

3. Starcraft. Battle.net still doesnt work in Wine. Bummer...

However, only a year ago I was 90% XP, 10% Linux. Thank you Dell and Ubuntu... Now I am 90% Ubuntu, 10% XP. :) :)

bufsabre666
January 13th, 2008, 06:03 PM
at the end of this semester im ganna try and go back to linux alone, i figure office 07 should work under wine by then

MasterTiK
January 13th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Use Linux completely on all computers which is 2 Desktops and 1 Laptop, except I have WinXP Pro on 1 IDE 20 Gigger than is disabled on MB unless I need to use it, which I havent in a while. No need to even enable it and use the NTFS.. dont need the space and dont like to see Win on there. So technically I have completely switched... I guess..lol

MasterTiK
January 13th, 2008, 09:02 PM
3. Starcraft. Battle.net still doesnt work in Wine. Bummer...

I thought SC Battle.net is down b/c of the Starcraft 2 testing... is it back up ?? or are you talking about playing on custom battle.net ?

Just curious

b0rka7a
January 13th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I've switched to Ubuntu completely since Windows make me reinstall it twice (in a single day :-P). That was... 3-4 months ago.
As for the games - I'm playing Counter-Strike 1.6 and FlatOut 2 under Wine.

P.S: Yes, I know... my English is not perfect, but I'm working on it ;)

Borbus
January 13th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I completely switched to Linux a few weeks ago. Before that I used 'doze because for some reason I thought I had apps that I needed that were windows only. I realised that I either didn't need them or they ran in wine so I switched. I had used Linux on servers for ages before that so switching was pretty easy.

Lysander10
January 14th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I'm a college student, and I've been using Ubuntu exclusively for over a year now.... even for my MS Office class(which I got an "A" in) : )

jp_coll2003
January 14th, 2008, 03:05 AM
I have never really used computers for games and it was only when I went over to Vista that enough was enough. I have everything I need with Ubuntu, and with the help of the Forum I have all that I need.

I have noticed great improvements with Ubuntu all the way from 6.### so looking forward to Hardy Heron.

LauraSakura
January 14th, 2008, 03:28 PM
mostly things I need for class are preventing me from a complete switch...
namely Visual Studio .NET and MS Access 2007
Also iTunes (mostly because it handles my Japanese file-names and song titles better).
Most of my games work in Linux, but some I need Windows for (it well help alot when I can get WoW and Ventrilo working together and not robbing each others sound. Can't get vent to work right :( )

So.. right now my laptop is completely linux. My desktop has a Windows XP HDD and a Linux HDD.

plb
January 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I switched 9yrs ago

Aurora@FleetBuzz
January 14th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I installed Gutsy Gibbon a couple of weeks ago and I find myself using it almost exclusively. This version is definitely ready for prime time! I like Windows XP, but am somewhat tired of all the regular maintenance like adware cleanup, virus scanning, registry scanning, defragging, etc., -- you know, the windows "household chores".

Since 7.10 came along, I can access my NTFS partition and files via Gutsy, my printer (Cannon S300) works fine, Skype is up and running, and I haven't had any problems with my iPod.

The only issues that keep me using windows are:
1. MS Money. I've got 10 years worth of financial data there. I don't know of a way to convert my MS Money (*.mny) files to a format readable by Gnucash. Quicken is supposed to be able to inport the whole thing, but i hate to shell out USD$45 just to convert a file into a *.qif that can be exported to Gnucash. Is there another way?
2. MS Outlook. I love Evolution, but as far as I can tell it doesn't have an archive feature that enables me to back up my e-mails. Also, is there a way to inport *.pst files into Evolution?
3. Podcasts. I've yet to break the code on the feature on some web sites that are set up to "Subscribe to this Podcast in iTunes" with a button, but there's no (as far as I can tell anyway) to use it with Rhythm Box. How does one find links to cut and paste into Rhythm Box to subscribe to Podcasts.

Fortunately, I'm not much of a gamer. In fact, I've had no occasion to install Wine. Perhaps MS Money will run with Wine? If so, I may soon be a 100% convert to Ubuntu!

etuxr
January 16th, 2008, 03:33 AM
I Run XP for Three reasons guild wars (I might try to get it working under Wine again) itunes (my parents got me a 3rd generation Ipod nano for xmass) and Netflix Streaming. Hopefully I can purge myself of windows but i will never pay another dime for an operating system. I will just recycle my XP for as long as it is legal.

pijits
January 16th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Ubuntu is my primary OS of choice but I also have a Windows part. and a Mac mini. I find my linux box the most fun out of the three because of the freedom to do so much with it, know what i mean

dgoodma
January 16th, 2008, 06:07 AM
One laptop Xubuntu, it had Window 2000 but the boot time was getting ridiculus. Casual use, Web, Email.

I setup my work laptop to dual boot Windows XP (too many job related tasks require Windows (Active Directory Administrator) and Ubuntu 7.10.

On my main home PC, still Windows, run Linux things as VMs, currently playing with the gOS that will come on the new Wal-Mart Laptop. I have a lot of music that is on my Zune. I use Quicken and TurboTax, and am somewhat leary of trying to run alternatives under Linux.

I bought a Vista Laptop for my wife.

I tried to setup an old PC for my Grandson to use, Xubuntu would not install for some reason, but Windows 2000 did (not connected to the network).

Actually like the games on Linux, even the really old character based games that I played 30 years ago on Sys5 Unix on an AT&T 3B20.

orb9220
January 16th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Ive tried to stay Ubuntu I started with Dapper then edgy then fiesty and gave up for awhile why?

1) wine was buggy at that point and crashing dvdshrink. Yes there is K9,K3b,etc...But have not found any to be as powerful and feature ladden as windows programs period.

And for some reason K3b would only burn at 4x on my 16x burners Liteon,Nec with 16x media.

I also used winAvi which was a great converter for avi,mpegs,mov, to DVD format and back again. Ubuntu nada nothing unless I want to run half-dozen programs with cryptic flags and hope it works. There may now be something new or upgraded but what I have seen has not impressed me. I would even pay for any program that was on par with window programs.

Video editing I am sorry but that is a joke on a Linux box. Yes movie industry have dedicated linux boxes with their own closed source software that cost a fortune. And I have tried what is availiable and they are lacking and buggy programs like kino,etc...

The other is Graphics I am sorry but Gimp sucks I don't care that it can kinda get the job done with raw files or how powerful it is. It's User Interface sucks plain and simple and It is in no way designed with photographer's in mind.

Yes there are programs like F-spot,gthubs viewer,digiKam,Krita,etc... I have tried them all and found them still in their infancy. Until Linux has programs as powerful as Winavi,dvdshrink,dvdecrypter,ACDSee,Photoshop,Ligh troom, and freeware like xnview,fastone imageviewer,Paint.net, and a large number of other programs with powerful gui and features sets that I can use then sorry the linux equivalents don't even come close.

Now I love Ubuntu and I love some of the great programs that are done. But for graphics and video it is still years behind windows.

And that is why I can't go 100% Ubuntu. Would love to I spent a whole year evaluating it and there was alot to love. But there where also alot to hate. Updates breaking things on a regualar basis, Cryptic commands for getting something done because there was no GUI available.

The constant mantra the terminal is so much faster and powerful and yes it is but not for older people that start to have problems getting their fingers to type on the keyboard and having to remember cryptic commands? I don't think so!

I had to have a text file on the desktop collecting all those alien chicken scratches but if I have to open the file and look up the command then exactly how fast is the terminal?

Maybe you youngsters with that fresh brain can retain all that but when you pass the half-century mark the brain starts to forget and slow on recalling info.

Now Ubuntu is my favorite Lady, I am obsessed with her and want be with her. I just can't live with her 100% of the time.

bwallum
January 16th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Hi orb992

Just to say a very amusing and not so tongue in cheek critique. What I love about the Ubuntu camp is the immense enthusiasm. This has a value beyond immediate performance. I try to support it as best I can. Ubuntu and for that matter all the rest of the Linux camp, have their hearts and souls in it. That is the sort of OS you wish for your kids, not the full blown, commercial, how can we milk you, OS. Ubuntu is the human spirit at it's best. I'll put up with a few downsides for that. The upsides are worth much more.

I love the Lady too.

Regards
Bob

Berethorn
January 16th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Well, in two weeks I've gone from "Linux: the other OS that unfortunately isn't popular enough to use" to having Ubuntu on my brand new fancy computer.

It all started when I ordered the parts to my computer. I didn't want to stick to the plain ol' XP A new computer somehow begged for a new OS. And of course that new OS would be Vista! But no...I read the reviews and reconsidered. I decided (why? I forgot) to try out Linux. I had done so before and liked it, but never took it seriously as an option for full Windows replacement. I actually spent a whole night and a few CDs trying to burn an Ubuntu iso (something about md5sums). I succeeded and tried out the live CD. I decided to install it, to see what it would really be like. And I tried to get used to it, and I did! I spent a week without booting once to Windows. Two days ago the parts came, I built my computer, and by that time I wasn't even really considering using Windows; I was more concerned about which distro to use. I chose Ubuntu over Mint for the 64bit.

So here I am with only Ubuntu on my new Quad I imagine I'll put Windows on later for games or etc, but I'm content for now. Other computers in the house use Windows. My next task will be setting my parents up with Linux and the right business software. I do rely on Adobe Illustrator, thus am learning Inkscape.

It's been a pretty quick conversion. Here's hoping I don't find any reasons to go back. :)

theZoid
January 22nd, 2008, 12:12 AM
Well, in two weeks I've gone from "Linux: the other OS that unfortunately isn't popular enough to use" to having Ubuntu on my brand new fancy computer.

It all started when I ordered the parts to my computer. I didn't want to stick to the plain ol' XP A new computer somehow begged for a new OS. And of course that new OS would be Vista! But no...I read the reviews and reconsidered. I decided (why? I forgot) to try out Linux. I had done so before and liked it, but never took it seriously as an option for full Windows replacement. I actually spent a whole night and a few CDs trying to burn an Ubuntu iso (something about md5sums). I succeeded and tried out the live CD. I decided to install it, to see what it would really be like. And I tried to get used to it, and I did! I spent a week without booting once to Windows. Two days ago the parts came, I built my computer, and by that time I wasn't even really considering using Windows; I was more concerned about which distro to use. I chose Ubuntu over Mint for the 64bit.

So here I am with only Ubuntu on my new Quad I imagine I'll put Windows on later for games or etc, but I'm content for now. Other computers in the house use Windows. My next task will be setting my parents up with Linux and the right business software. I do rely on Adobe Illustrator, thus am learning Inkscape.

It's been a pretty quick conversion. Here's hoping I don't find any reasons to go back. :)

Good for you. I still have a Vista partition for gaming, but I use everything else in Ubuntu. I'm rarely in Vista anymore. I do have an XP virtual machine to run my scanner which isn't supported, and my vertical market tax programs as that's what I do for a living. Except my beloved strategy games, there really is no reason to boot into Vista anymore. I just plain enjoy using Ubuntu more, period ;)

adzza
January 22nd, 2008, 01:04 AM
Ive tried to stay Ubuntu I started with Dapper then edgy then fiesty and gave up for awhile why?

1) wine was buggy at that point and crashing dvdshrink. Yes there is K9,K3b,etc...But have not found any to be as powerful and feature ladden as windows programs period.

And for some reason K3b would only burn at 4x on my 16x burners Liteon,Nec with 16x media.

I also used winAvi which was a great converter for avi,mpegs,mov, to DVD format and back again. Ubuntu nada nothing unless I want to run half-dozen programs with cryptic flags and hope it works. There may now be something new or upgraded but what I have seen has not impressed me. I would even pay for any program that was on par with window programs.

Video editing I am sorry but that is a joke on a Linux box. Yes movie industry have dedicated linux boxes with their own closed source software that cost a fortune. And I have tried what is availiable and they are lacking and buggy programs like kino,etc...

The other is Graphics I am sorry but Gimp sucks I don't care that it can kinda get the job done with raw files or how powerful it is. It's User Interface sucks plain and simple and It is in no way designed with photographer's in mind.

Yes there are programs like F-spot,gthubs viewer,digiKam,Krita,etc... I have tried them all and found them still in their infancy. Until Linux has programs as powerful as Winavi,dvdshrink,dvdecrypter,ACDSee,Photoshop,Ligh troom, and freeware like xnview,fastone imageviewer,Paint.net, and a large number of other programs with powerful gui and features sets that I can use then sorry the linux equivalents don't even come close.

Now I love Ubuntu and I love some of the great programs that are done. But for graphics and video it is still years behind windows.

And that is why I can't go 100% Ubuntu. Would love to I spent a whole year evaluating it and there was alot to love. But there where also alot to hate. Updates breaking things on a regualar basis, Cryptic commands for getting something done because there was no GUI available.

The constant mantra the terminal is so much faster and powerful and yes it is but not for older people that start to have problems getting their fingers to type on the keyboard and having to remember cryptic commands? I don't think so!

I had to have a text file on the desktop collecting all those alien chicken scratches but if I have to open the file and look up the command then exactly how fast is the terminal?

Maybe you youngsters with that fresh brain can retain all that but when you pass the half-century mark the brain starts to forget and slow on recalling info.

Now Ubuntu is my favorite Lady, I am obsessed with her and want be with her. I just can't live with her 100% of the time.

There are some really good points here. Ive been using linux on and off for the last couple of years. The biggest gripe is what the above user said, you have a problem and the solution is "oh just enter these 500 commands, easy".....not quite so easy.

Sure its easy to read, copy and paste the solution, and problem solved, but it raises the question why does it happen in the first place, and how the hell is a newb supposed to learn all that???

Learning your way around a new OS can be confronting enough as it is, let alone asking newbs to jump in the command line and hack at that. Whilst I love Ubuntu, I think it has a long way to come before its as "user freindly for the average joe" as Windows. At least with windows 95% of things can be done in the GUI. Linux appears the opposite of this which for newbies, is a real nightmare. Keep in mind im reffering all this to new users. Ive been working in IT for 6 years as a network engineer and still have issues!

Just my 2c. Now back to reading the forums, trying to solve my Ubuntu issues, and learn the command syntax......:confused:

ingvildr
January 22nd, 2008, 06:52 PM
I've been windows free on my main desktop since i first used Warty :), i do have family members who still use windows, but i think i might buy my girlfriend a dell ubuntu box since her computer is getting old and see how long i can keep ubuntu on it.

bufsabre666
January 22nd, 2008, 06:55 PM
well as stated in another thread, i got my office problem out of the way and im back to ubuntu only baby

ss87
January 22nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
Been ubuntu only on my laptop for since Feisty, my computer at home still has windows (my parents can't live without it, does anyone reckon sage will work on ubuntu?- I know there are alternatives but training them to use it would not be easy) I'm away from home 9 months of the year, and only have ubuntu on an 18 month old Acer 5610. Performance has got better with each release, small things like getting the full resolution in Feisty, and now volume buttons working are nice. The best thing is it's very difficult for it to get 'clogged up' and I've become significantly more experienced. The real dealmaker for me was hellanzb.

din
January 22nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
I got my new laptop 2 month ago with vista home. First thing i did
was delete every partition and start with linux. 2 weeks took me to get
my laptop work (still i learned soome time ago course of fedora) and from here i learn every day. This way i don't have mush choice - no vista, no xp - only 100 linux distributoins wating for me to be discovered. Maybe its foolish and childish i don't now. But it my way to learn things.
Maybe its because i have enuf windows at my work (sys admin)

fatherdaly
January 22nd, 2008, 09:56 PM
I've completely switched for now, similar reasons to most people.

windows keeps crashing, virus infections etc

I might have to install XP so I can manage my mp3 players

days_of_ruin
January 22nd, 2008, 09:59 PM
100% ubuntu:guitar:Windows makes me feel claustrophobic since it
doesnt have multiple workspaces.

|Jasp|
January 23rd, 2008, 11:05 PM
I just started to use linux for the first time last weekend. Ubuntu all the way (on my laptop). The only thing keeping Windows on my desktop is the electronics simulator for class. I do everything else through Ubuntu...pSX/SNES Roms, word processing, etc.

qsc
January 24th, 2008, 05:30 AM
On this, I can proudly say I use linux, only. PERIOD

I acquired my first computer in my life in 2006 summer. It is a Dell latitude laptop. I erased XP the first day I got the computer, and put linux into it. All the way down, I have used Suse, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu. Now I am using a toshiba laptop, with Ubuntu Gutsy.

I did give a thought about why I can live with linux only. I am not a gamer (though now I do play some NES games with gfceu); and in life on on work I don't have to use Word, Excel etc those Microsoft things; I did some scientific computing, and I find that linux is an ideal environment for that; nowdays linux is fancy enough to satisfy all my multimedia needs, like music, movies, online videos ...

tuebinger
January 24th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I finally installed Ubuntu 7.04 on the old HP PC in the office. Now I'm Ubuntu linux all the time at home. Unfortunately I have to use windows still at work. :( But our District runs Novell Groupwise to handle email,and the student computers run StarOffice, so at least we're not an all-Microsoft District! :)

theZoid
January 24th, 2008, 06:08 AM
I've pretty much moved everything over to Ubuntu, except my strategy games....so I guess I basically view Vista as a gaming partition anymore.

sageb1
January 24th, 2008, 08:37 PM
re: cryptic CLI commands.

this has nothing to do with the commands. this is a wetware issue with memory. See off-topic forum for details.

CadetD
January 24th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Define "Completely" ...

I think it will be nearly impossible for someone to "completely" get rid of Windows.

That being said, I currently run my entire music production studio exclusively on Linux. Everything works fine; all hardware and software.

I do not bother wasting time with dual booting Windows since I only use it for tele-comuting. And the only reason I need that is because the VPN software is Windows only. So... I run Windows in VMWare when I need to work remotely. :=)

Until Corporate America (or wherever you may live) gets with the program and demand that their software vendors be OS agnostic, we will have to suffer some Windows in our environments.

That was my 2ç.

D.

browndruid
January 24th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I haven't completely switched. I still have a five year old eMac running OS X 10.4, but I barely use it now.

And hey, at least they're both UNIX based.

slumbergod
January 25th, 2008, 03:27 AM
I almost have. I have found alternatives to all my Windows applications (or can simply live without them).

Unfortunately, I keep having to boot back into Windows everytime I want to burn a data CD or DVD because NeroLinux, K3B, and Brasero all burn coasters for me....so until I solve that issue my XP partition has to stay :(

Adler
January 25th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Unfortunately, I keep having to boot back into Windows everytime I want to burn a data CD or DVD because NeroLinux, K3B, and Brasero all burn coasters for me....so until I solve that issue my XP partition has to stay

slumbergod,

I think that you should burn the CD / DVD @ 4 - 8x. I'm not sure how you might be using K3B under M$, or whatever, but that is the best out there.

I've never been successful burning Ubuntu under M$ XP / Vi$ta. Strange...

If you need a CD / DVD I'm sure there are others around in your area that can send you one. Just a thought.

C'mon over to our side. LOL!

Adler

nikoPSK
January 25th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Noooo!!!! brickquest... I miss you... :'(

Gabix
January 26th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I completely use Ubuntu. I keep Windows around for gaming problems (to test if they work in Windows, basically, then boot into Ubuntu and fix (or try to fix) the problem). I haven't "used" Windows in a long time, but it's still there.

I'm totally new to Ubuntu (4 days only) and I really like it. But as I've read here so far there's no way to make adobe and avid apps run in Ubuntu. After reading this:

then boot into Ubuntu and fix (or try to fix) the problem).
I wonder if you know a way to do it. I think not only me but lots of Ubuntu users would like to know the way!!

rosegarden78
January 26th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Sorry I couldn't resist ... as long as ABC.com and WorldWinner.com use OS-sniffing to block Linux users I don't see how or why one should replace the other. I keep a dual-boot Linux with XP backup because a knight should always have a dagger handy if his sword breaks in battle.

squidfaceExtreme
January 26th, 2008, 08:08 AM
rosegarden78: That's a very awesome way of putting things. As it is I'm... SO CLOSE to ditching Windows forever, except as a generic "what if someone roots me over with a Windows-only program" scenario. I'm going to try to Wine Galactic Civilizations 2 (I hereby declare "Wine" to be a verb) and if that works I have no reason to boot up Windows on my own computer.

theZoid
January 26th, 2008, 08:13 AM
rosegarden78: That's a very awesome way of putting things. As it is I'm... SO CLOSE to ditching Windows forever, except as a generic "what if someone roots me over with a Windows-only program" scenario. I'm going to try to Wine Galactic Civilizations 2 (I hereby declare "Wine" to be a verb) and if that works I have no reason to boot up Windows on my own computer.

Hey, I'm a GalCiv2 player big time....keep us posted on that!

bufsabre666
January 26th, 2008, 08:23 AM
(I hereby declare "Wine" to be a verb)

ive been using it as a verb for a couple years now, lets submit it to websters so we're no longer speaking improper

squidfaceExtreme
January 26th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Hey, I'm a GalCiv2 player big time....keep us posted on that!

I just tried, and it's wonky - very wonky, and breaks in areas. However, I haven't yet updated to the latest version, and I'm capped until the end of the month.

FastMady123
January 26th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I have and I dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows XP.

theZoid
January 26th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I just tried, and it's wonky - very wonky, and breaks in areas. However, I haven't yet updated to the latest version, and I'm capped until the end of the month.

Interesting...GC2 is the primary reason I still have my Vista partition. I wonder how VMware Workstation would work with that? (the pay version that's supposed to support 3d acceleration?)

hhhhhx
January 26th, 2008, 12:34 PM
all linux here:)

tariquepark
January 26th, 2008, 01:25 PM
hi all i have 3 pc and a laptop and have almost dropped ******* completely. my wifes is ubuntu only but has vmware with xp( for just in case)but the other 2 are dual with xp and vista(grrrr) and the laptop is ubuntu, well its dual boot with w2k but w2k has been broke for about 2 years and...well...who wants it anyway lol so now i have happy wife n kids :}

Kevbert
January 26th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I still have ******* XP for odd applications such as for mobile phone progs, some games and programming languages. Once I'm more conversant with Wine that may change.

Vgercke
January 26th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I just did it.

ReedyCreek
January 26th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I have finally been able to switch completely to linux!! I started work 14 years ago as a *nix admin of about 90 SCO 5 systems but then everything started moving to ******* (against my better judgement :( ). Our company is a complete Micro$oft shop - servers 2 desktops 2 handhelds - and I never could get everything I needed to access all of the ******* crap to work quite right in linux (remote access, exchange, etc.). Now, with Ubuntu + Evolution & Wine, I've finally been able to move completely over to linux for everything I do. I still have a problem accessing our corporate wireless network, but I'm dealing...

tranquito
January 27th, 2008, 04:35 AM
I installed Ubuntu five months ago dual booted with xp because I heard linux was bad for gaming. I've since removed my windows partition because there are so many linux compatible games. I even noticed that linux versions of some games work way better, Wolfenstein ET for instance. Linux rocks!

seanc7
January 27th, 2008, 04:39 AM
That's all I run on my PC at home. Don't need MS Office, don't play games so it's perfect for me.

dustman
January 27th, 2008, 08:26 PM
tried dual booting with several linux distros for about a year and since september 2007 i completely dumped windows. happy with my compiz-fusion and no crashes :D . miss the games though, but i really don't have time for gaming...so... Ubuntu :guitar:

Steve_Barker
January 27th, 2008, 08:49 PM
How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Not quite - still use BeOS, and we have a Mac in the front room - hardly ever gets switched on though.

imagecko
January 29th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I have completely switched to Linux.
I work as a freelance webdesigner/developer and had some Adobe-applications left for some time.
But there are some things with Adobe that I dont like, so now I have made the switched to 100% free software.

spegru
January 29th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Completely switched over about 18 months ago, at home anyway. Originally SuSE but now (k)ubuntu and still a little SuSE

5 PCs: including 2 for kids, a laptop, one as a media centre

The killer application to enable moving over was openOffice.
They great to have app was Skype!
The fantastic app bonus was Amarok

All my hardware works too (printer/scanner/webcam/digital tv tuner/ ipod/ graphics tablet/ graphics cards etc etc)

spegru

PS. they make me use windose in the office (work laptop) but even there I use openoffice!

Kingsley
January 29th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I'm wondering if I should just delete my Vista partition, since I only boot into that OS once or twice per month. A part of me wants it around for sentimental reasons.:KS

jorgevan007
January 29th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I have been "Windows free" for four months and going...
I just hope they fix my webcam issue. But i rarely use it so...maybe Hardy will take care of it!!

Jorgevan

bufsabre666
January 29th, 2008, 09:39 PM
been windows free for about a week now, im currently in the process of turning all my storage to ext2/3 and im ganna delete my windows partition today

ColdAir
January 29th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I recently switched to ubuntu 7.10 and now I use my windows vista mainly for checking gmail web account. This is one problem I face with ubuntu at the moment as for some unknown reason www.gmail.com or mail.google.com does not work in any of the web browsers in my Ubuntu!!!

For every other work I'm using Ubuntu.

Thanks to every one behind Linux and Ubuntu!!!

Therion
January 29th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Just last night I gave Windows one last boot... To the curb! I just got tired of it sucking up a huge hunk of my hard drive and, having not booted into XP in some months, decided it was time to let it go for good.

Guided Install: Use Entire Disk ... Little did I know how my life would change in that moment.

Almost immediately after clicking that button and starting the reformat/reinstall process, a shaft of light, infinitely bright, illuminated my workstation yet I was able to see clearly... A host of angels sang sweetly in the background and a sweet perfume filled the air all around me. The perfection of the moment was interrupted frequently by phone calls from super-models all who wanted to date me and my stock broker who wanted to tell me my investment porfolio shot up twenty-eight points across the board.

Little did I know there would also be free beer... No one told me about the free beer.

rheywood
January 29th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Not entirely switched but use Ubuntu 90% of the time. Just a few trivial things such as watching Channel 4s On Demand service and updating my mp3 player.

KD6TZF
January 29th, 2008, 10:14 PM

I switched to Ubuntu about 3+ years ago when my XP couldn't find the boot loader. A relative who is a real geek (highly paid type) suggested switching to Linux. Ubuntu is what he installed for me and allowed me to salvage my data files and such that I really needed.

(Did someone say I need to do backups? What is that? ):(
Fortunately I don't do much that needs backed up except maybe my bookmarks.

I have been much happier with my Ubuntu Linux with a more relaxed feel not having to worry about viruses, etc.

As for games, I think that there are quite a few written in Linux and then adapted to Windows. Don't quote me on that as I don't do much gaming. Just something I heard once.

I just updated from Drapper Drake 6.06 to Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 and the only complaint would be the user interface was a little confusing. When it asked about saving my home directory or writing over it, I got confused and wrote over it. Then tried to go back and correct it but was too late. I've been reconstructing my bookmarks, etc. ever since. Same with the other users of this computer.

Enjoy,

mrbones
January 30th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Its all I have been using for about a year now, cant say I would ever willingly go back, I'm not a huge gamer so no issue there. The lack of huge Viruses cant be beat, and there is no need to Microsoft products thanks to Open Office.

And just in the fact of how much of your system YOU actually control, and you really can do just about anything you want is awesome, not even TweakUI for Windows is that good.

Famicommander
January 30th, 2008, 06:45 AM
My main rig runs Ubuntu exclusively (and luckily all of my games run well in Wine). The computer that I built for my grandmother is also an Ubuntu-only machine.

But my laptop still runs Windows XP. I love Ubuntu, but I also like Windows. It's nice to have them both available.

k2t0f12d
January 30th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I use Debian `Lenny' GNU/Linux as well as a rolled-it-from-source-myself GNU/Linux, exclusively. If I am not able to get a program to run with GNU/Linux, I refuse to run it at all. I prefer native programs and software licensed under free terms as defined by Stallman's four freedoms of computing.

roderick
January 30th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I've been Windows free for about 3 years.

I have also recently converted my family and friends to Kubuntu and made then completely windows free as well (i.e. no dual boot scenario). They are happy as well.

Northsider
January 30th, 2008, 08:59 PM
How do you guys do it? Linux really just gives me headaches...I mean it's fun to fiddle around with...

big dizzle
January 31st, 2008, 01:57 AM
I just installed linux and got it working right a couple of months ago. I'm still a little more comfortable doing a couple of things in xp, but I just run it in VMware...so matter how much Bill Gates whines, can just close VMware whenever I want to...hahaha

ODF
January 31st, 2008, 02:36 AM
I want !!! i really want, but since I play games ... well REAL games not linux games i'm doomed =(

painejake
January 31st, 2008, 03:43 AM
I moved my desktop from Linux in December last year worked No prob at all and i have a patched version of Mac Leopard that im gona put on my dell laptop to be completly Windows free :D maby ill move my laptop to Ubuntu when the Intel 965 Graphics chipset isnt blacklisted but i cant see that happening untill earlist Ubuntu 8.10

c_07
January 31st, 2008, 03:54 AM
Once I can figure out out to use Office 2007 with WINE, then I might be one step closer to being a Linux purist ;) There are just a few applications that I really wish there were viable alternatives for, like OneNote, Camtasia & SnagIt, etc.

wahr
January 31st, 2008, 04:03 AM
Have you tried Lives, kdenlive, or pitivi?

I plan to try these out as imovie clones as I attempt to compile a full app suite which will facilitate my swap from mac to linux.

Also, for all you gamers, please take the time to read the thread.

Cedega is an excellent game emulator and has a very impressive list of games, which it keeps current with to within a month or so.

They can do this because they charge for the installer packages, even though their source is free and compilable.

jcparker500
January 31st, 2008, 04:16 AM
I made the switch just this morning on my laptop! Completely wiped WinXP and installed Ubuntu. I was really amazed at how easily Ubuntu installed and supported all of my devices, including wireless NIC. I have tried other distributions in the past and there was always some driver or another that wasn't available (especially wireless). Kudos to Ubuntu. I have a steep learning curve ahead of me though, thats for sure.

Still have Vista on the main PC - I need it for some applications, but my laptop is Windows free, and I hope never to go back!

djamu
January 31st, 2008, 07:26 PM
I almost did ( servers & rendernodes running linux + wine hapily ) , but I need Photoshop, & I miss a 2 pane file browser > Nautilus that osx finder clone just ... sux...

roderick
January 31st, 2008, 08:06 PM
There are plenty of split view file browsers (Dolphin for one under Kubuntu) and PhotoShop works under wine (check out http://appdb.winehq.org).

So, seems problem solved :)

jimmydean
January 31st, 2008, 11:18 PM
I run Ubuntu for everything except games at home and Outlook at work. IT switched to an unsupported version of Exchange, so I have XP native mounted in VMware so I can use Outlook.

Yes, it's a waste, but that is the business.

NineKnuckles
January 31st, 2008, 11:31 PM
Hopefully, I will be in a few weeks. I grew up around Windows, not knowing anything else was available. But after keeping track of Linux (Ubuntu in particular) for the last few months, and doing a bit of research...I've taken the plunge! Lol, I only know a decent amount of knowledge in Windows, but didn't fancy getting a partition, so just bought a new pre-installed laptop from Dell. But I've still got the desktop (which I'm on now) in case I ever need Windows!

SanskritFritz
January 31st, 2008, 11:57 PM
I have built a computer for the first time ever. I installed Ubuntu on it for the first time ever. Lots of fiddling, lots of fun. But I didnt expect Ubuntu to be as solid as never have to reinstall. Using it for 4 months now, tampered a lot (starting as noob!), still in good shape. Still having some problems with the sound and occasional freezing of the keyboard and the mouse, but I expect to sort these problems out within the next months with the help of this great community here. Thumbs up.!!

galeg
February 1st, 2008, 01:10 AM
Still require XP for a number of reasons, but primarily, Internet Banking on the major bank I use in Australia (one of the ¨big 4¨) is not compatible with Swiftfox (or Firefox), only compatible as far as I can find with MS Internet Explorer.

kool_kat_os
February 1st, 2008, 01:13 AM
I tried .... just couldnt

powderhound99
February 1st, 2008, 01:24 AM
Hi my name's .....I've been off Windows for a little over a year now. I have to say sometimes copping isn't as easy things don't plug and go, But my days are better now and I'm productive...... I can multi task and rest assured I'm safer than most. What I can't use I don't need.

And remember
KEEP KIDS OFF WINDOWS INSTALL LINUX!

jleaker01z
February 1st, 2008, 03:56 AM
All computers Windows free since shortly before Vista came out. Originally had 2 PCs, but just bought another with Vista installed. Boy does Vista suck. So now I have 3 running Ubuntu.

roderick
February 1st, 2008, 02:39 PM
Still require XP for a number of reasons, but primarily, Internet Banking on the major bank I use in Australia (one of the ¨big 4¨) is not compatible with Swiftfox (or Firefox), only compatible as far as I can find with MS Internet Explorer.

A coulpe of options:

1) ies4linux - will allow you to install ie6 via wine. It works.
2) Have you tried different browsers or changing the identification in firefox? I have found sites work, but I had to fiddle with the agent string due to poor web design. For example, many sites work with Konqueror if I change the browser ident to IE, Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc. Best thing is konqueror with remember the association per site.

Hope this helps.

tad1073
February 1st, 2008, 02:50 PM
I completely swithched, but not on purpose to begin with. My computer had a raid 5 set-up with w2k on it. I couldn't get ubuntu to install on it so I disabled the raid, lost w2k but gained a linux system. I had problems with my wirless card but after I installed madwifi it worked like a charm.

Linux is for computer literate people where as windows is not. Any idiot can jump on a windows system and take off.

LostMagix
February 1st, 2008, 03:28 PM
I was kinda forced to, but im glad i did.

ronb94
February 1st, 2008, 03:51 PM
I am using Ubuntu for all expect games.One of the things i miss in linux is dictonary,I am using vmware for dictonary(I am leanrning now French so I need it very much).I am very happy that Photoshop CS2 works on wine now.I still dual boot for games.

GreenMeanie
February 1st, 2008, 07:32 PM
I have switch to Debian,ubuntu,redhat and never even want to use windows again.
Makes me sick when I have to LOL

sunseeker888
February 1st, 2008, 07:46 PM
Just moved to ubuntu 3 hours ago, f off B :lolflag:Gates, £71 for garbage vista.

sunseeker888
February 1st, 2008, 07:48 PM
GUys I need windows emulator program? anyone has any idea, i need nero8. Also, firewall, anit spyware & anti virus soft, where can i download?:guitar:

bufsabre666
February 1st, 2008, 07:53 PM
GUys I need windows emulator program? anyone has any idea, i need nero8. Also, firewall, anit spyware & anti virus soft, where can i download?:guitar:

you have barraso, k3b, gnome baker, or the basic one built in

you have a built in firewall, and theres an anti virus in the add/remove under applications

and theres avast for linux which i use but i dont need to

RebounD11
February 1st, 2008, 07:57 PM
Just moved to ubuntu 3 hours ago, f off B :lolflag:Gates, £71 for garbage vista.

Vista comes cheap where U leave. :KS

sstusick
February 1st, 2008, 10:30 PM
You can use Virtual Box, it is in the 7.10 repos.

You can download the Linux version of Nero at Nero.com.

ricegf
February 2nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
I left Windows 98 for Red Hat 6.1 in May 1999, but the switch wasn't total until I upgraded to Mandrake 7.2 in Dec 2000. My first Ubuntu was Breezy in Sep 2005.

Gutsy makes both WinXP and Vista look so... incompetent. Especially since a window closing on Windows doesn't even burn up, like all good windows should. ;-)

wipeout140
February 2nd, 2008, 08:39 PM
Since 7.10 am linux total only have windows in the profile as use it daily at my college (Only XP PC's )

ExpatPaul
February 2nd, 2008, 09:21 PM

I've found that Epiphany works well for the few sites I visit that cause problems for Firefox.

angelsguitar
February 2nd, 2008, 09:27 PM
Ubuntu Gutsy is my main OS right now. I keep Win XP in dual boot configuration because I'm forced to, as I'm a musician and depend on some specific software, like Band in a Box, Sibelius, Cubase, Reason and ProTools. But I'm experimenting with some alternatives for those software packages, like MuseScore, Rosegaren, Ardour, and a couple of virtual instruments/synths. I hope someday I'll be able to dump Windows completely.

By the way, still have not upgraded my XP boxes to Vista. I think it sucks big time.

Julita
February 2nd, 2008, 09:34 PM
As my main OS I use Xubuntu. However, in my virtual machine - VirtualBox - I have installed Windows XP because sometimes I need Windows environment for my work.
I think that Linux right now can provide the users with almost all the necessary software, etc, except, maybe, designers; in their working sphere there is no substitution for MacOS.

Matteran
February 3rd, 2008, 12:06 AM
I wish that I could, but professionally, I require windows to run the audio programs that I need (Pro Tools, Samplitude)...

But everything else I do in linux.

Difranco1911
February 3rd, 2008, 04:24 AM
I run a XP inside using Virtual Box, however all of my Geocaching stuff does not run within Ubuntu. Thats all I use it for.

However I have been considering a returning to XP or Vista as I've been feeling a slight itch to game.

desertboy
February 3rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Haven't booted windows for a long time but going to put xp on an eeepc (Obviously with some Ubuntu flavor dual boot) so I can play C&C Red alert, sync with my WM5 and run sage so I can do customer bills as I need to.

I run Ubuntu on a desktop, laptop & tablet/laptop hybrid.

haggus
February 4th, 2008, 01:41 AM
I have a vdr box running debian etch in the tv room I run kubuntu 7.10 using xubuntu desktop on my dual boot xp pc and the other tv has knoppmyth R5F27 frontend backend machine I haven't flashed up XP in months I can live without XP I keep it around just because I see no reason to take it off the box it was there when I bought the pc I just don't use it.

nikoPSK
February 4th, 2008, 01:57 AM
I have a vdr box running debian etch in the tv room I run kubuntu 7.10 using xubuntu desktop on my dual boot xp pc and the other tv has knoppmyth R5F27 frontend backend machine I haven't flashed up XP in months I can live without XP I keep it around just because I see no reason to take it off the box it was there when I bought the pc I just don't use it.

same area as me too, cool. :)

xpod
February 4th, 2008, 02:09 AM
107 pages and 7 months later i`m still going nowhere.
Still keep XP around on another dualboot pc and i doubt that will ever change.
It`s not my place to tell my kids what they use......as if i need to of course:)
With about half a dozen+ PC`s with 2 drives each(bar laptops) i dont think one partition on one drive for XP is taking up tooooo much room

Having just recently built a new box,with a nice new 22" the only Windows that will ever be anywhere near it is the one i`m looking out of right now.

Beautiful moonlit night it is too:)

itsols
February 4th, 2008, 05:26 AM
I tried on three occasions to switch to Ubuntu but just don't know where to start with the problems:

1. I'm building a php POS solution and can't find ANY driver for the accessories - mainly Epson TM-U220D printer.

2. Some people offer drivers (source) and when I try to compile, something is missing - then get that something and something else is missing !!!

3. My Canon LBP800 printer is not supported.

4. I don't know how to figure out the ports (at least the COM) to configure the printer.

In short it looks like I'm totally lost and I hope this forum will get me somewhere (hopefully out of Windows).

Kind regards...

bcn17
February 4th, 2008, 06:53 AM
alsa is not supported on my sound card(cause it sucks) so i use audacity on my win machine.

have you tried oss? alsa didn't work for me either but oss works great. http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3768914&postcount=60

Arkenzor
February 4th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I'd be using Linux only if that ******* Ragnarok Online client finally agreed to run in wine. For now I spend all of my gaming time in XP and I simply hate it.

granite230
February 4th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Last week I set the bootloader timer to 0 sec. This means it will start up Ubuntu right away! I did this because:
- My Windows using brother moved out of the house
- The Windows partition is completely unusable and slow

I don't want to mess around with the system because Ubuntu (Dapper Drake) still runs perfectly fine! The new printer I purchased worked out of the box without installing any drivers! Windows still required the drivers from the cd, otherwise it wouldn't work...

This is actually my dad's computer so he's the one really using Ubuntu (I still need Windows on my laptop for school) and my dad doensn't know the first thing about computers!!

Ubuntu is great!!

Dual boot, slow learner larger curver, distance wifi/usb issues, video editing, but looks like I'm a small minority and everyone's having a great time! Go U

jobr
February 5th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Today i will join the club. After the amazing release of wine 0.9.54, Photoshop is running smooth on my Linux box. So i have anything i can dream of :)

Good bye Mr. Gates :p

zazuge
February 5th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I use Ubuntu in all my studing (Latex) working (I'm in the IT field)
The last time I used windows was to play X3 and Heroes of Might and Magic 5
but I've found nostalgic games on Linux (Beneath a Steel Sky,flight of the amazon king....)
now I don't even have the time to have fun so it's even 6 months since I didn't use XP ...... at home at least :-( (you know what I mean)
ther are times when I wish that awful OS to disapeare from the face of spacetime ... (I loste 10 years of my life beacause of it)

yeah and peaople who say Linux isn't for end users are wrong because at my house everyone use Ubuntu without a problem
Yeah you can say that "when ther'are technical problems end users have to learn to overcame them",however the same thing apply to windows , worste , there are lots of problem when even pros just do the same easy-stupid solution "format & reinstall" , which is why I'm sick of that and I don't want to see that nightmarish stupid OS.

mysticrider92
February 5th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I can finally join the crowd. A couple weeks ago I deleted Windows, and am now quad booting Ubuntu, Arch, Gentoo, and LFS. \\:D/

A few things I want to get working in Wine, but I am not going back to Windows as a main os (or even a dual boot).

SyCo123
February 6th, 2008, 04:05 AM
My HP laptop XP recovery DVDs 2,3 and 4 were coasters leaving a half recovered XP installation. I installed Gutsy over the whole system originally until i could get hold of an XP CD.

I've not looked back. :)

I have XP in a VM but havn't need it yet.

Northsider
February 7th, 2008, 12:58 AM
After seeing KDE4 potential I am seriously thinking about making the switch over sometime soon. ...maybe. :-]

gashcr
February 7th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I finally convinced my sister to get rid of vista... please don't ask me why I had that piece of sh.. installed on my poor hdd...

I decided to test Debian etch, and that's the only lil' monster installed in my pc now :)

I miss some very convenient things about ubuntu, but everything is little compared to the speed and stability I gained with etch. Perhaps I'll go back to Ubuntu on 8.04, but as for now, I'm pretty happy on this side of the street :P

nitemann
February 7th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I cant speak for everyone but here is my two cents..(like 2 dollars)

Windows is an 800 pound gorilla in the room, its not going away. I will have to keep one or two box’s at the most because of work reasons. I don’t see me going to VISTA (ever).. Microsoft’s systems are resource hogs, no one can deny it. I am a recovered Windows-holic.. I learn about LINUX back when KNOPPIX 3.3 - Debian produce the BOOTABLE OS on a CD. that concept caught my eye and I immediately sacrificed a Windows PC I had and installed it, ran it for 8 months without one crash. Then more flavors of Linux came into my awareness. I currently am running KNOPPIX 3.3 (this version run on and OLD PII 350. Flawlessly), also UB2 Gutsy and Mint 4.0, some on PII's that where once reserved to the target range. Linux has breathed new life in to these machines. I am no Linux Guru (yet).. But I just installed Ubuntu Server on another machine and I am learning as quickly as this old tired body can. Its my opinion, but Linux is a much better , more reliable OS, its support staff are the friendliest folks you would ever want to have the pleasure of sharing info with. The repositories house’s thousands of free software that enable anyone to
kick the windows habit. There is a learning curve in Linux, but only because
I learn Windows first like 80 % of the people out there and it plain wrong.
I don’t hate Microsoft or Microsloth as some of it haters call it.. I just see LINUX as the better product. As some of my new Forum Friends and Tutors have told me, Linux is making its way into our lives indirectly IE, your Digital pictures frames run LINUX, the RUMBA robotic Vacuums and Mops.. ect ect.. why.. because it can be made small compact and reliable.
I am fixing to put together a dual core system and load it down with the best peripherals’ and run the new release of Ubuntu to fully take advantages of its capabilities. Needless to say I am a convert and I have begun the process of converting everyone I know who is interested. As for those who come to me with help with Windows, first thing I do is hand them a bootable UB2 CD and tell them this is your long term answer.
NUFF SAID for now.

ellis rowell
February 8th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I have been using Ubuntu since early last year. I still have problems with some peripheral equipment which refuses to work with Linux so I have to keep a Windows XP laptop to run these (it's probably because I haven't found out how to get them working properly). One printer out of four works and one scanner out of three. I will never use Vista but keep the XP laptop for good (not using it online to protect it from viri), that way I shall not need any "updates". I use Ubuntu for everything else. To keep the laptop safe, I do the work on Ubuntu then save it out on a key drive and plug it into the W-box.

snakeeyes
February 8th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I have been using Linux for over an year now, I use OpenSUSE 10.3.

mauser
February 8th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Hello Folks,

I have been using linux off, and on since 1997
I have used several distro's since then
I am currently using Ubuntu 7.10 on this HP/Compaq C551NR Laptop
Though I still have a WinVistaB partition
Its the WinToyz

Mary.Riley
February 8th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I was never much of a gamer, so deleting my Windows partition was really easy to do. In fact, it felt really good.

dbqp
February 9th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I have 5 machines.

1 laptop (IBM T30, completely Ubuntu)
1 Dell Dimension 2300 Ubuntu 6.10 Server (Home Server)
2 Dell Precision 650 Dual Xeon Workstation as Primary Systems running Ubuntu 7.10
1 Acer AMD64x2 running Vista (preinstalled) for any Window "needs"

I run VM Ware Server on my 650 for a couple of coding apps and boot loaders.

I love the feeling of having a stable system which is not pirated and full of holes.

Bluestick
February 9th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I switched to ubuntu for the first time about a month ago... use XP Vista and OSX before....
Im all linux now never going back to windows :)

nikoPSK
February 9th, 2008, 02:17 AM
I switched to ubuntu for the first time about a month ago... use XP Vista and OSX before....
Im all linux now never going back to windows :)

enjoy. :)

bjschuma
February 10th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I've been using Gutsy since last November. I rarely boot into Windows, and when I do it is usually not for very long.

ispy
February 10th, 2008, 07:17 AM
formatted my HDD on my lappy and installed a fresh Ubuntu on it after i decided I like it. the only thing I miss is my games, but i have Wine, so it's not a big deal. all I have is Halo 1 and the original Call of Duty. both work.

fissionmailed
February 10th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Out of my three comps, only one has a windows installed on it's own and I rarely boot to it. I'm a console gamer, so computer games aren't my thing. I'm an electrical engineering student that's poor as dirt, so what else is there? ;)

boyofford
February 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM
almost completely switched, only games and few little problems stopping me! still on the STEEP learning curve, but getting there

mikkenzi
February 10th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I have been thinking about it... I have Vista together with Ubuntu and I hate Vista. There is always some unsolvable problem. Even if you have a problem with Ubuntu, there are always nice people who tell you how to fix it.
However, I can't completely abandon Windows because I am writing a Ph.D. and I absolutely have to have Word and Office. There are things I still cannot do with Open Office... Footnotes look different, endnotes are not the same, bibliographies and justifies paragraphs looks somewhat different and pagination... the pagination is totally mixed up. I know it must be me because Open Office is a really powerful program but well... I've been using Windows since 3.00 and I am using Ubuntu since November 2007 :)
I'm a bit afraid to remove the Vista actually... :lolflag:

red_Marvin
February 11th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Since maybe four months or so I have cleared my windows partition and the restoration partiton from my laptop's hdd and haven't regret it. I do however keep a backup image of them, because of the 'what if' factor.

GrandpaLeaman
February 11th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Since maybe four months or so I have cleared my windows partition and the restoration partiton from my laptop's hdd and haven't regret it. I do however keep a backup image of them, because of the 'what if' factor.
The same here, and just about the same time line. I did a complete switch from Vista to Ubuntu and have not regretted the change at all. I like to experiment with the OS and software on my computer. So as you can imagine, I am having a blast!

toorroot
February 11th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I have to use MS XP at work but at home I have used only Linux since early 1995. At first I used Slackware, then Redhat, Fedora and now Kubuntu.

infekt
February 11th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I finally moved over completely! I've got my games (Quake4, NWN, etc) and now I have Renoise for music composition. I had everything else before. Its a good feeling to leave Windows and OSX behind. I haven't rebooted in almost 2 months! Crazy. I love the control that Linux has brought to my desktop. Sooo stable and fast.

nitemann
February 11th, 2008, 09:23 PM
IF this an in-appropriate Post Would the Admin please tell me. I cant see how but.....

I have known about Linux for some time, my first distro was Debian Knoppix 3.3.
I installed and ran it for 8 months without any crashes or rebooting. I have it, Ubuntu Gutsy, Mint xfce4 and Ubuntu server running on Machines that were destine to go to the target range.
Linux has breath life back into them, they are OLD PC’s but run flawlessly and don’t lock up , run strange or crash. I posted this before (don’t know what happen to the post)..
Microsoft is an 800 lb gorilla that’s not going anywhere. I am guessing 70% of PC users want a PC that can Surf the Web get Email, shop Online and do what ever else is needed and don’t care that they will eventually have to drop about 2 grand on a machine capable enough
To run the resource hog they call Vista, grapevine says the service Pack for Vista is crashing machines due to driver corruption. I cant validate this nor do I care. I have a Couple of XP pro systems at home for work reasons..
The other 30% are the aware ones That know there is life beyond Windows.. Its Linux, I read in the forums most people Keep Windows around for gaming or some apps that have not been ported to Linux.
The thing I don’t like is the monopoly Microsoft has done where if you go to a large retailer, you are forced to by the MS OS because its loaded to the machine systems as a convenience . To me this is a tax, try to ask them to sell you the same system minus the (Two to three hundred Dollar Windows tax) OS loaded. There is one retailer out west in Ca. its Wal-Mart and they are selling a two hundred (199.00) p4 machines with Linux OS. It’s a Green PC supposedly of using only 14 watts of power. Every store I have check lately could not keep them in Stock, I found some locally where I live, but were preloaded with VISTA lite.. and had a 400.00 price tag. Its all a personal preference, I (For one) am aiming for the day I can say I am Windows Free.

hvacr
February 11th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I have switched to Ubuntu on my laptop, which runs great. I have tried dual booting xp64 and Ubuntu, but have had no luck. I will be staying with xp on that machine as I do photo and printing work. Ubuntu will not take care of my needs when it comes to that.

Istonian
February 11th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Been Windows free for a little over a year. The only thing I needed windows for is CS:S and I can run that with wine.

bwallum
February 11th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I'm Ubuntued through and through now. Helped a friend with Vista and reinforced my bias. Wife and daughter now on Ubuntu and about to convert the locals. Son still glued to games but will try Wine soon. I understand it is getting quite good.

Just a thought, if I use Wine do I expose myself to Windows viruses?

Northsider
February 13th, 2008, 07:27 PM
well, my bootloader failed a few days ago...so I just reinstalled Kubuntu without windows. Good thing Wine works great this time...goodbye MS!

jamespickles
February 13th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Theres is only really one or two things stopping people from switching to linux full-time its usually Gaming problems or problems with drivers, a real shame really.

Pengwyn44
February 15th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I still need Windows because I do a lot of writing and for that I use a dictation program (IBM Via Voice). It is 10 times faster than using the keyboard, for me anyway.
Until someone writes a dictation program in Linux I'm stuck with Windows!
Everything else I can do in Linux except use my Olympus Voice Recorder, but some Linux folk are already working on that.

angry_johnnie
February 15th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I use linux only, and the best part is that i have already converted a couple of my friends. However, despite the fact that I have not booted into windows for a long time, I still keep it on both my desktop and laptop. It was easier to convince my friends after I showed them that one could, in fact, have both operating systems on the same machine. My laptop had long been a dedicated linux machine, but then I started experimenting with it. I wanted a triple boot just for kicks. And, now that I finally got the triple boot working, I really don't want to mess it up! Besides, I could always go back and tinker with windows, just to see if I can do something different --although, one can never be entirely certain about the legality of such tinkerings, unfortunately-- For instance, I read (about a week ago) that it is possible to install kde in windows. Now I have to try it!

Raven_Oscar
February 15th, 2008, 02:34 PM
My home server runs on Linux. The same situation with laptop. So it could be said that I am completely switched to Linux. :)

conorsulli
February 16th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I moved to Ubuntu in mid 2005, its fine cos no viruses but windows is the more dangerous yet spicy side of life with windows movie maker, huge collection of photo editors with easy ui, large amount of video/music formats supported, loads and loads of games and cool screen savers (3d aquarium i used love). I only really moved fully to Ubuntu because while Ubuntu was partitioning my hard drive my win partition was damaged and irreparable. Linux is good for old/cheap computers to give a new life span and servers, Not really for your average Joe. If you really want to remove windows completely from your hard drive though ...... well why do that? you paid for it, and most likely come in very handy some day.:guitar:

Linux is cool though!

roderick
February 16th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Windows never comes in handy - except as using the CD as a coaster (I have a few).

Lucky me, I bought a system without an OS (yes, you can do that), so no wasted money. Even if Windows came with it, it does not mean you should feel obligated to use it. How many people like the bloated bundled junk that PC retailers put on their default branded installs? I certainly do not feel obligated to use that junk, and yep, it was included and therefore paid for.

Never feel obligated to use something just because you may have paid for it indirectly. Make up your own mind.

ellis rowell
February 16th, 2008, 10:33 PM
"Everything else I can do in Linux except use my Olympus Voice Recorder, but some Linux folk are already working on that."

You must have a "VN" model like I have, the later models are no problem as they act as another HDD, you can download the files easily. The way to do it with a VN is to transfer it in Windows then copy to a USB key drive and copy it to your Linux machine, otherwise record it in realtime via a 3.5mm jack lead between the earphone socket on the VN and mic socket on the Linux machine.

savantelite
February 17th, 2008, 02:07 AM
I am very close, I have a separate partition with windows xp and Itunes that I use to download my music and podcasts to my Ipod.

Other than that Full board linux!

maybeway36
February 17th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I use Debain lenny right now. I have WinXP installed in VirtualBox but hardly ever use it.

paintba||er
February 17th, 2008, 02:49 AM
I use OS X as my main OS, but I prefer it over Linux, so that isn't a bad thing. I have been ******* free for some time though.

paulstaf
February 17th, 2008, 04:19 AM
<soapbox>

I have been using and supporting ******* since the late 1980s. Windows ME almost drove me to insanity. When Vista came out I couldn't stand it. I had tried to use Linux several times over the years, but I was never impressed with the usability of it in a home environment....THEN someone turned me on to Ubuntu!

I was skeptical at first....did a dual boot. ******* had turned my brain to mush....I kept looking for setup.exe files and ******* type crap. Then I slowly learned to use the command line and after a while I was booting into ******* less and less. I slowly found comparable linux apps for all my ******* ones and then I formatted the drive and have been using linux exclusively now for almost 2 years.

The Ubuntu community is the major reason for my success in moving to Linux. Even though I still do some support of ******* devices, I despise the whole MS world. I have learned to do so much more with my linux box then I ever did with the ******* box. I have installed linux on every computer/laptop I have, and every device I use at work. I have a dual boot on the ones for work since the corporate world is still incarcerated in the MS prison.

Games are about the only issue still confronting Linux, and that is slowly eroding. Send emails to all the makers of your games and demand they start offering linux versions. It will come.

Move to Ubuntu....Stick with it, don't give up....nothing worth having is ever easy. Remember how many times you have had to reload your MS box due to viruses or malware, or had to reboot it every day whenever you think about returning to MS. Ubuntu is an excellent OS, and it is FREE and supported by millions of brilliant people for FREE. Stop paying for the right to turn on your computer.

I burn and pass out live cds all the time. I have converted a few people myself. Dell is now putting Ubuntu on their computers....Dell is a smart company....They will get the jump on others.

This is the 1980's for Linux....Hopefully it will not forget where it came from and will grow and prosper and one day in the near future be the #1 operating system on every computer in the world.

Vista is the death of MS. If users and companies are going to have to re-write or buy new software to run on a new OS, then why not have that NEW OS be FREE Linux?

I don't want to have to spend BIG $$$ for an operating system, then $$$ for more ram and more $$$ for video, and more $$$ for HDD, just so I can boot the OS! Ubuntu runs pretty darn good off a live CD, ever seen ******* do that?

</soapbox>

highfructose327
February 17th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Thought I was Windows free until this quarter, one class I am taking requires ie6 for their browser plugins so I had to fire up a virtual machine of XP, glad I had that option instead of having to format a XP partition. Did not miss it and now that I am using XP again I miss it even less.

whac
February 17th, 2008, 05:12 AM
I have bin running ubuntu since 2005, before that debian and before that red hat.

randomnote1
February 17th, 2008, 05:21 AM
If I wouldn't have bought a Mac as my latest laptop I would be running Ubuntu as my daily driver. However, I did run it on my wife's old laptop for about a year before we got rid of it and I run it on my server. I have a virtual machine of XP that I can run if I want to play my old AOE games, but that hasn't happened it probably 6 months or more.

argraff
February 17th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Played with Knoppix several years ago - pretty, but not real useful at the time.

And then...XP just DIED (2005). Husband put on Fedora Core 5, and I adjusted fairly quickly (it's even easier to learn linux when you have a master in the house!). Keyboard went wonky, computer started to shut down randomly, time to buy a new one (early 2007).

Tossed in the Ubuntu 7.04 CD. Pretty, usable, no sound. Grrrr. Dealt without sound, hoping Husband could figure that out. No luck.

In madness, I downloaded 7.10 Beta - and it all just worked! Waited for the official release, just in case.

Oh, and just to make the world sweeter - 6.06 works on the old laptop...perfectly! So, basically windows free since 2005!

msjones
February 17th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I have been using Linux since I was 14. I started off with suse 7.1 running on my first PC, 486 64mb ram 4mb ago rage 3d.

I moved over to XP when its was released so I had a dual boot. I now work in IT for a law firm, and 3 of our 5 servers use unix/Linux. I have to use XP to connect to our sonicwall VPN.

I have just wiped my PC and installed ubuntu only. I now connect to work using openswan and rdesktop, or vmware with xp. I dont think I will be moving back over to a windows installation again.

Long live ubuntu!

staticvoid
February 17th, 2008, 04:19 PM
i now only use ubuntu. tried vista once... but within the first 12 hours i reinstalled ubuntu :D

sv

edit.. but... i might go have an apple...mmm

sethd32
February 19th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Been using nothing but linux for a couple years now and loving it. Kicking myself for wasting so much time, money, and frustration on winblows, but at least I am free now!

rasmus91
February 19th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Hey guys

Haven't got it all running in Linux... YET! but I've dedicated A LOT of my Hard drive for Ubuntu. Some time ago i met a guy who told me about ubuntu, and i thought i should check it out. (at that time i had allready had enough of Windows xp, so eyy guess what i installed ubuntu and then i realized how much windows really SUCKS. One of my buddies at school keep telling me to remove Ubuntu, he says its some ****, but guess what? he doesn't know **** about it xD
Linux 4ever!!

deadowl
February 19th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I use OS X as my main OS, but I prefer it over Linux, so that isn't a bad thing. I have been ******* free for some time though.

I pretty much use Linux exclusively, but there are a few exceptions

When I'm using someone else's computer that doesn't run Linux
When I'm testing things cross-platform
When I'm required to use applications X, Y, or Z for a class that are limited to other operating systems

However, I recently have been growing alienated from OS/X users in particular. I don't know if its because I've never really used OS/X for more than 5 minutes at a time.

An event yesterday as I was trying to help someone install a flash card program I had built to help people study:
Download and install this
Open your terminal
---What's a terminal?
---I don't think I'm going to be able to find this "terminal" you speak of.

It's not surprising to me for someone to be confused about what a terminal is. It is, however, surprising that someone's not able to find it regardless. I could call my mom and tell her to open a terminal on a machine running Ubuntu, and though I doubt she'd know what a terminal was, she'd probably be able to open one.

TenPlus1
February 19th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Woo Hoo...! I've been using Ubuntu for well over a year and since 6 months ago it's the only Os on my system... Everything works perfectly (a little tweaking here and there) and any software I need is available through the repo's or on GetDeb... Am soo happy I've even started switching my friends to Ubuntu...

oDDWare
February 19th, 2008, 10:35 PM
I know it's an old topic, but yep... All Linux, all the time. (Except at my dad's house on his machine. He's stuborn and set in his windows... err, ways... lol)

No gaming issues. (Consoles for me)

No compatibility issues.

No security issues.

No problem. Life is good with Linux.

Clayton South
February 20th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I have - a while ago. and you know what? All those fears about not being able to run some programs? Hogwash. Linux grows on you and you find that there are alternatives and that things are a LOT better on linux than windows.

-Clayton South

Chame_Wizard
February 20th, 2008, 09:58 AM
using Kubuntu since 17-may 2007(dual boot with XP),gonna completely switch when i have a laptop and my knowledge is better.:oops::oops:8-[

justleen
February 20th, 2008, 10:05 AM
i've swithced completly to Linux.. work laptop, home pc and my wife's laptop.
wife's one and work one are dual boot, she needs office every now and then to check layout in docs, and i need Kermit for work (believe it or not, this is a DOS tool, native to unix and i can NOT get it to work properly...)

Never looked back! And my wife hates windows these days!

petersra
February 20th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I am about 50% converted to Gusty. However, I fax and scan quite a bit and the USB support for these is not the best. I can get the scanner working but the fax modem support is terrible. Worked for several days ton linmodem and Martain and still nothing. So, better USB support and a viable fax modem is a must.

amunra13
February 20th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I have switched my computer fully. But this was because the hardware was getting dated. Thus I have built another machine specifically for gaming.

sir4taye
February 22nd, 2008, 03:40 AM
I'll be wiping the xp and vista partitions off my laptop as soon as this school term is over (now that I finally got connected with the forums to get everything working).
I also just started a wine project to get familiar with it's workings. The "gamer" mantra is the only thing slowing my ubuntu propigation. If wow can run appropriatly so can most others. We need more people writing step by step tutorials for the basic tasks of getting hardware working for the beginner.
XP Killer!

Andavane
February 22nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
I haven't been on Ubuntu for long, but love it.
Being in Windows XP is like being in my own house, but gremlins keep coming in and fiddling with my things.
The only thing really binding me to XP is the Palm Treo Software. I have my appoinment diary there, books to read, music to listen to.
I'd really love to use my Palm on Ubuntu though.
Regards
John
PS: Also I have a Sony Vaio with XP and I'm afraid to install Ubuntu on that in case the laptop gets messed