PDA

View Full Version : S.C. LoCo Charter (The Beginning...)

xarquid
February 5th, 2008, 10:15 PM
This is the start of our LoCo Membership Charter. It is the beginning of the full charter; however, consider this the "bare-boned" version.

It will grow with time -- and grow with the length of this thread and with each and every IRC meeting. We'll add to the bones, then it will begin to get flesh and eventually it will take on form ;-)

So here we go:

1. All Ubuntu South Carolina, Ubuntians, LoCo Team Members will show respect to each other at all times whether it be online or telephone (virtual) communication in any form or non-virtual communication in person.
2. All members are expected to contribute to the team, as a whole, in some way whether it be: ideas, volunteered time in some form, etc.
3. Members must attend one I.R.C. meeting every 6 months to be considered (and remain considered) an active member of Ubuntu Team South Carolina. All members and administrators are held to this standard.
3a. If special circumstances prevent your attending meetings at the proposed times, please contact an Ubuntu South Carolina administration and make alternative arrangements. We will work to accommodate your needs.
3b. A non-official meeting will take place every 2 weeks for those that wish to attend. It is not an official meeting (per say) and is thus not required for attendance.
3bb. It can, however, be substituted under the special circumstances rule (WITH PRIOR APPROVAL of S.C. admins) for the official meeting. This approval must be given within 1 week of the meeting. It is not a permanent approval and is given on a one time only basis. It must be given again if a specific issue arises again.
Please help add to these within this thread and via IRC.

If something comes up in IRC, please copy+paste the contents into this thread so other members may comment on it.

It will eventually be raised in a meeting agenda (in the next meeting, whether it be February, March, etc. etc.) for voting on by the membership base that is in attendance at the official meeting.

#3 was raised for voting in the January meeting. It passed S.C. approval. #1 and #2 are general guidelines that should be approved by any general human being ;-)

I added the sub-guidelines of #3 myself -- if anyone objects to either of them, please let me know. I think they are fair and practical. If they need to be raised in the February meeting we can raise them.

Sincerely,

Craig Huffstetler / xarquid / xq

recluse2
February 6th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Good start! If I can think of anything to add I will post it. At first read, could you elaborate further on #3b as to what time and date (if it has been decided)

Flare183
February 6th, 2008, 01:46 PM
This is the start of our LoCo Membership Charter. It is the beginning of the full charter; however, consider this the "bare-boned" version.

It will grow with time -- and grow with the length of this thread and with each and every IRC meeting. We'll add to the bones, then it will begin to get flesh and eventually it will take on form ;-)

So here we go:

1. All Ubuntu South Carolina, Ubuntians, LoCo Team Members will show respect to each other at all times whether it be online or telephone (virtual) communication in any form or non-virtual communication in person.
2. All members are expected to contribute to the team, as a whole, in some way whether it be: ideas, volunteered time in some form, etc.
3. Members must attend one I.R.C. meeting every 6 months to be considered (and remain considered) an active member of Ubuntu Team South Carolina. All members and administrators are held to this standard.
3a. If special circumstances prevent your attending meetings at the proposed times, please contact an Ubuntu South Carolina administration and make alternative arrangements. We will work to accommodate your needs.
3b. A non-official meeting will take place every 2 weeks for those that wish to attend. It is not an official meeting (per say) and is thus not required for attendance.
3bb. It can, however, be substituted under the special circumstances rule (WITH PRIOR APPROVAL of S.C. admins) for the official meeting. This approval must be given within 1 week of the meeting. It is not a permanent approval and is given on a one time only basis. It must be given again if a specific issue arises again.
Please help add to these within this thread and via IRC.

If something comes up in IRC, please copy+paste the contents into this thread so other members may comment on it.

It will eventually be raised in a meeting agenda (in the next meeting, whether it be February, March, etc. etc.) for voting on by the membership base that is in attendance at the official meeting.

#3 was raised for voting in the January meeting. It passed S.C. approval. #1 and #2 are general guidelines that should be approved by any general human being ;-)

I added the sub-guidelines of #3 myself -- if anyone objects to either of them, please let me know. I think they are fair and practical. If they need to be raised in the February meeting we can raise them.

Sincerely,

Craig Huffstetler / xarquid / xq

Great! Should I enforce this? And if so then ok!

xarquid
February 7th, 2008, 03:34 AM
This will not be "enforced" until after the next team meeting. The next team meeting date will be announced on/around 10 February 2008.

It will be on another week night (not Friday) around 8 P.M. EST. This is also standardized as of the last meeting (and it was voted upon and unanimously agreed upon).

Meetings will take place at 7:30 or 8 P.M. EST on a day between Monday and Thursday. They will take place in #ubuntu-us-sc on Freenode IRC network. :-) They will most likely take place in the last week of each month (by calendar dates).

Sincerely,

xq

xarquid
February 7th, 2008, 03:36 AM
I'm going to leave the second non-official monthly meeting up to Flare. When's a good time for this, Flare?

I'll go ahead and recommend sometime mid-month so it is not too close to the official meeting :-) This is supposed to be the "chatty get together" type of gathering meeting time for us all to just chat it up (and bring up issues if any are on our minds...).

Sincerely,

xq

:popcorn:

xarquid
February 27th, 2008, 02:35 PM
No new ideas for items?

Flare183
February 27th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Tomorrow yeah.
I some ideas, but I'll wait until tomorrow until I say what they are.

[First I must mak sure that xq isn't mad at me first]:confused:

xarquid
March 1st, 2008, 08:37 PM
All members will be required to sign the CoC:

https://launchpad.net/codeofconduct/1.0.1

;-)

This will be another "top of the Charter" item, in my opinion.

----

Come on guys and gals! Any more Chartered Member items? We can amend later on, but think of this as the Constitution for Ubuntu Team South Carolina.

How would we like to put in the Wording for Teams?

What are the top 3 - 5 teams we would like to put in the charter? Or if not LIST teams what is the GENERAL language we would like to use for the teams? Perhaps:

Ubuntu South Carolina will have Teams which members may join voluntarily. Teams are a valuable asset to Team South Carolina. Some examples may include a Design Team, Planning Team, Events Team and Web Team. These teams are only example names. Each team will have a leader and this leader's responsibility will include.... ---- etc.

Just an example.

----

Come on, I know you guys and gals have great ideas. Let them out ;-)

:KS

recluse2
March 2nd, 2008, 11:09 AM
CoC signed on my part, will be thinking about other ideas, and I do agree it should be a top of the Charter item.

Flare183
March 2nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
CoC signed.

recluse2
March 15th, 2008, 10:33 AM
SC LoCo is a pure Democracy, Majority Rules!

If there is an idea about anything involving the group, its forums, website, wiki, the teams actions and involvements, structure, or any other aspect involving the group. It will be voted on by the group as a whole, and whether or not the idea is implemented will be determined by the outcome of the vote (after a specified time, decided upon by the group)

The voting will take place in the forum (or somewhere else decided by the group "must be decided and voted upon") after a specified time (proposed and decided by the group)

If and when a decision is made about the group, the passed idea will then be passed off to the sub-team involved (or affected by the idea) to implement the idea.

If an idea does not pass, it can be voted upon again at a later time if the group decides it wants the the idea to be voted on again at a later time. If the group as a whole votes down an idea and decides that it does not want it voted on again, then the idea is considered dead and cannot be proposed again.

If an idea is suggested by someone, it is the individuals responsibility to propose the idea in the forums or somewhere else (decided and voted upon by the group) and then the idea will be put before the group to to be voted upon and discussed in an allotted time period decided and voted upon by the group

The idea proposed must be described as clearly as possible in the following form:

The idea must have a clearly defined purpose to accomplish something for the group
The idea must have a time period proposed and approved of for discussion
The idea must list what it involves and which sub-team would be responsible for the implementation of the idea

This is just a rough suggestion proposed (or just thrown out there) by me, I am simply suggesting it at this time for discussion in the group to help build the group as a whole and to help move the group forward. I believe it must be discussed point by point by the group, and decided upon by the group. I am in no way trying to be pushy or otherwise, I am just trying to move the group forward by identifying an issue I think needs to be addressed and one I feel was called for by xarquid asking for ideas about the charter.

Now I feel like the idea is proposed and available for discussion in the group, and it is my opinion that the entire group, has their say on the idea. In accordance with this idea, I propose that this idea be submitted possibly as a "sticky" at this time, for the group to discuss, point by point, and to be voted upon at a later time by the group (if the group so decides to do so). If the group or anyone disagrees with the proposed idea, make it clearly stated in the forums or in the chat. I WILL NOT BE UPSET IF ANYONE DISAGREES!

I believe in the Code of Conduct and I believe that the proposals I have made do not interfere with it, but is clearly in the spirit of the Code of Conduct, and it is my intent with this proposal to help build Team South Carolina, and it is my attempt to give something back to the group and move the group forward.

xarquid
March 16th, 2008, 06:32 PM
SC LoCo is a pure Democracy, Majority Rules!

If there is an idea about anything involving the group, its forums, website, wiki, the teams actions and involvements, structure, or any other aspect involving the group. It will be voted on by the group as a whole, and whether or not the idea is implemented will be determined by the outcome of the vote (after a specified time, decided upon by the group)

The voting will take place in the forum (or somewhere else decided by the group "must be decided and voted upon") after a specified time (proposed and decided by the group)

If and when a decision is made about the group, the passed idea will then be passed off to the sub-team involved (or affected by the idea) to implement the idea.

If an idea does not pass, it can be voted upon again at a later time if the group decides it wants the the idea to be voted on again at a later time. If the group as a whole votes down an idea and decides that it does not want it voted on again, then the idea is considered dead and cannot be proposed again.

If an idea is suggested by someone, it is the individuals responsibility to propose the idea in the forums or somewhere else (decided and voted upon by the group) and then the idea will be put before the group to to be voted upon and discussed in an allotted time period decided and voted upon by the group

The idea proposed must be described as clearly as possible in the following form:

The idea must have a clearly defined purpose to accomplish something for the group
The idea must have a time period proposed and approved of for discussion
The idea must list what it involves and which sub-team would be responsible for the implementation of the idea

This is just a rough suggestion proposed (or just thrown out there) by me, I am simply suggesting it at this time for discussion in the group to help build the group as a whole and to help move the group forward. I believe it must be discussed point by point by the group, and decided upon by the group. I am in no way trying to be pushy or otherwise, I am just trying to move the group forward by identifying an issue I think needs to be addressed and one I feel was called for by xarquid asking for ideas about the charter.

Now I feel like the idea is proposed and available for discussion in the group, and it is my opinion that the entire group, has their say on the idea. In accordance with this idea, I propose that this idea be submitted possibly as a "sticky" at this time, for the group to discuss, point by point, and to be voted upon at a later time by the group (if the group so decides to do so). If the group or anyone disagrees with the proposed idea, make it clearly stated in the forums or in the chat. I WILL NOT BE UPSET IF ANYONE DISAGREES!

I believe in the Code of Conduct and I believe that the proposals I have made do not interfere with it, but is clearly in the spirit of the Code of Conduct, and it is my intent with this proposal to help build Team South Carolina, and it is my attempt to give something back to the group and move the group forward.

Sounds great. We will have to put a time limit on "awaiting feedback" or votes from members. Just in light of things...and the desire to move forward. We can't wait on everyone on the launchpad list. I think a week or two maximum would be fine. Do you agree?

The problem with waiting on everyone (which would be ideal) is already 1/2 or 1/3 of the people are inactive, or have never seen the board, logged onto IRC or any communication medium. If anything, we are just waiting the 6 month limit or for them to drop off into "inactive" land. This kind of safeguard, really from a "Project Management" perspective would have to be put into place.

It's kind of out of regard for moving forward...do you see what I mean? That's the only conflict, but I think you would agree. :-)

Sincerely,

Craig Huffstetler / xq / xarquid

recluse2
March 17th, 2008, 06:02 AM
I absolutely agree, When you have a volunteer group, and this is probably considered a "side project" by most people, and thats okay. getting people to participate in events or anything else is difficult.

This is pretty much just a statement of "the group is yours, build it and make it what you want" All I proposed is we can ALL vote and propose what we want. if you dont vote, then you chose not to participate, and thats okay, but if you want a say in what direction the group goes, or what we involve ourselves in, then participate freely with your ideas and opinions. and I intended it as possibly a way to acheive the participation, open forum for discussions and debate, and as a way to keep a record of what has taken place with the group and a way to see the direction of the group.

I guess that in the end, (which is my intent anyway) if a prospective member would look at the the history and records of the group. It would become obvious to them that SC LoCo is a place of freedom, and that they are welcome here. You can join and have your say, and we can all join together happily, and accomplish a great many things. ;)

xarquid
March 17th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Aye, great idea :)