PDA

View Full Version : Do you have an iPhone?

GamingMazter
February 5th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Do you run Ubuntu and have a iPhone?

tribaal
February 5th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Yes, I do.

It's too bad it's such a closed platform, but it was a gift, and looks much too cool to give away. :)

- Trib'

ntetreau
February 11th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I do, it runs fine, I sync my music, calendar contacts and notes now. I'm very satisfied.

Here's a guide for setting up under ubuntu: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPhone

karellen
February 11th, 2008, 06:22 PM
nope. I don't even own a mp3 player, don't know why, never felt I really needed one...:)

FuturePilot
February 11th, 2008, 06:48 PM
No

leftorvo
February 11th, 2008, 07:23 PM
No, I don't want one. It's a waste of money in my opinion.

mr.propre
February 11th, 2008, 10:34 PM

True, you can have a better phone for half the money, its less 'cool' but I buy a mobile phone for its features, not for its coolness.

tuebinger
February 11th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Yes. I like it.

Depressed Man
February 11th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I run Ubuntu and don't have an iPhone. I do have an n800. :D

rune0077
February 11th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I just bought one (or had a friend bring one home from The States, actually). It was sort of an impulse thing. So far, I've only gotten around to actually being able to use it as a phone (a hassle if you don't live in the US) and transferring songs from Amarok. Now I need to figure out how to sync my calendar, but it's not currently high on my list of priorities.

It's a really neat little toy, I have to say, and as far as smart phones goes, I'd say it's as good as it gets.

misfitpierce
February 11th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I hate the typing on iPhones and prefer my Blackberry Pearl 100X over :) lol

hhhhhx
February 11th, 2008, 11:52 PM
yep :)

spupy
February 12th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I'm very skeptical about the iPhone/iPod, especially about it's compatibility with Linux. But today i played a little with an iPod Touch in a shop.... wow i was really impressed!

(Btw, why do they call it *multi-touch*? It's double-touch!! :P)

colepearson
February 29th, 2008, 02:34 PM
:guitar:I have an iPhone and absolutely love it. It is a work of pure genius in my opinion. It is so much more than a phone. I am a lover of music; I currently have 146 cd's on my 16GB iPhone and still have 11 gigs of free space, enough advocation for apple though. I actually have not tried it on Ubuntu yet (I running XP Pro on another desktop strictly for iTunes.)

CaptainCabinet
February 29th, 2008, 02:46 PM

I agree with you. It does the things you can very easily do on a PC. And if I want to surf the web on the move, check my emails, listen to music, phone people and now chat to people, I just use my PSP. :D Which is a much better piece of kit in my opinion.
I hardly ever use the mobile phone I have anyway. :)

martinlall
October 6th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Look for Freerunner by openmoko. That kicks ***.
Yeah, i've got iphone. It's good only when you are familiar with electronics and dif. platforms. And little crackin'.
Otherwise it' a piece of sht and you can only watch weather and stocks.

era86
October 6th, 2008, 08:56 AM
My fat fingers don't type on the keys very well.. so I got a blackberry curve. Now my fat fingers can actually feel the buttons

UbuWu
October 6th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Yes. Except for the battery life, it us by far the best phone/gadget I have ever owned.

Phreaker
October 6th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I find the iphone to be a waste of money.For about the same amnount of money, you can get a really better product

Jim!
October 6th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I find the iphone to be a waste of money.For about the same amnount of money, you can get a really better product

Like?:)

medic2000
October 6th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Iphone really sucks.Full of DRM. No support for OGG and free formats.
http://www.amnesia.com.au/blogimages/iPhoneVersusRock_F498/image_thumb.png

Jim!
October 6th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Iphone really sucks.Full of DRM. No support for OGG and free formats.
http://www.amnesia.com.au/blogimages/iPhoneVersusRock_F498/image_thumb.png

That's a terrible comparison. It lacks a decent camera, sure. But apart from that it's a decent product.

master5o1
October 6th, 2008, 10:50 AM
My question to iPod Touch users (and iPhone I assume) is whether you must jailbreak it to use it on Linux.

I'm not just saying to use it wirelessly, but to even use it with the USB cable.

If I can add/remove/sync music to an iPod Touch just using a USB cable then I'm happy. Wifi access is a bonus (despite being a main feature that Apple has used as the selling point).

DougieFresh4U
October 6th, 2008, 12:41 PM
No.

forrestcupp
October 6th, 2008, 01:46 PM
iPhones are tied to AT&T, so I won't even consider one.

Canis familiaris
October 6th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Nope. Too costly for words here and hell I don't have a mobile, any mobile; and have no wish to get any mobile currently either.

forrestcupp
October 6th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Nope. Too costly for words here and hell I don't have a mobile, any mobile; and have no wish to get any mobile currently either.

If you can live without a mobile, you're either young and still in school, old, or extremely lucky. I wish I could throw mine in a trash compactor.

Nano Geek
October 6th, 2008, 02:21 PM
My question to iPod Touch users (and iPhone I assume) is whether you must jailbreak it to use it on Linux.

I'm not just saying to use it wirelessly, but to even use it with the USB cable.

If I can add/remove/sync music to an iPod Touch just using a USB cable then I'm happy. Wifi access is a bonus (despite being a main feature that Apple has used as the selling point).With the old ones no, but with the new ones yes. At least until someone figures out how to break Apples encryption thingy.

But I don't think that Apple has ever said that you can sync wirelessly. The Wi-Fi is used for internet browsing.

pbrugs
May 8th, 2009, 03:47 AM
no, only running it on my computer. :(

amitabhishek
May 8th, 2009, 05:41 AM
No, but I am saving for one; my kitty has swelled to $429. BTW it costs $590 (8GB) on Vodafone & Airtel without contract...

Giant Speck
May 8th, 2009, 07:58 AM
I have an iPhone and sync it with Ubuntu daily through Rhythmbox.

My only problem is that because I had to change the iTunesDB version from 4 to 2 in the phone itself, iTunes won't recognize the music on it. I need to find a script or application or something that will allow me to switch back and forth between iTunesDB versions on demand.

CJ Master
May 8th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I use DSi. When homebrew comes out for it, then it'll be 10x better then iPhone. For now it's just 2x. ;)

HappinessNow
May 8th, 2009, 08:05 AM
No! Thank You for asking.

felicat
May 8th, 2009, 10:33 AM
nope. why?
coz ubuntu guys need to tight w/ all linux stuff?

steev182
May 8th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I use DSi. When homebrew comes out for it, then it'll be 10x better then iPhone. For now it's just 2x. ;)

Better as a phone? I didn't realise the DSi accepts SIM cards. :o

I have an iPhone, but can't sync it with ubuntu, so it's a major sticking point for me completely moving to Open Source.

I am looking for a phone that not just does what the iPhone does, but does it as intuitively and better than the iPhone. So far, the only handset which stands out to me is the HTC Magic. From using Android 1.5 in the emulator and BlackBerries from my users at work and my previous experience with WM6 on a HTC TyTN, Android looks to be the best platform for me.

pwnst*r
May 8th, 2009, 02:17 PM

now that's some funny stuff right there.

Sublime Porte
May 8th, 2009, 04:12 PM
nope, now that android phones are coming out, who in their right mind would buy one of these lock-in toys?

pwnst*r
May 8th, 2009, 04:18 PM
nope, now that android phones are coming out, who in their right mind would buy one of these lock-in toys?

lock-in toys? essssplain please.

Sublime Porte
May 8th, 2009, 04:24 PM
it's a fancy little toy with too many gestures.

And it uses lock-in software (apps, syncing etc), designed to make you completely dependant upon Apple, infringing upon your right/ability to customise and/or use the device with OS's other than those Apple deems suitable.

In other words, if you don't want any choice or freedom to use your device the way you want, and you're easily satisfied by making your phone look like a cup of popcorn, then the iPhone is for you. If not... then forget the iPhone get an Android based device.

pwnst*r
May 8th, 2009, 04:47 PM
it's a fancy little toy with too many gestures.

And it uses lock-in software (apps, syncing etc), designed to make you completely dependant upon Apple, infringing upon your right/ability to customise and/or use the device with OS's other than those Apple deems suitable.

In other words, if you don't want any choice or freedom to use your device the way you want, and you're easily satisfied by making your phone look like a cup of popcorn, then the iPhone is for you. If not... then forget the iPhone get an Android based device.

um. jailbreak takes 15 mins.

any other concerns?

CJ Master
May 8th, 2009, 05:13 PM
um. jailbreak takes 15 mins.

any other concerns?

Yes. Jailbreaking is illegal.. >.>

Better as a phone? I didn't realise the DSi accepts SIM cards.

Heh, no, that's why I'm waiting for Homebrew. DSi version of Skype, anybody? :)

now that's some funny stuff right there.

"essssplain please."

pwnst*r
May 8th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Yes. Jailbreaking is illegal.. >.>

no it's not.

any other concerns?

Sublime Porte
May 8th, 2009, 05:30 PM
voids your warranty also.

any other concerns?

Yes, you can't even run apps in the background. iTunes doesn't support Linux

Anyway if it works for you, great.. enjoy, as I said, for some people those limitations are more than enough... for some of us they are not.

CJ Master
May 8th, 2009, 05:35 PM
no it's not.

any other concerns?

The DMCA "...criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, even when there is no infringement of copyright itself." [Wikipedia] If you are jailbreaking a touch you are circumventing the access control (i.e., the device's lock-down) to be able to install 3rd party programs. Therefore, if you stickily follow that law, it is illegal.

Thank you for quoting why it's not illegal in your reply. :)

wsonar
May 8th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Anybody try one of these yet

http://www.openmoko.com/

pwnst*r
May 8th, 2009, 05:56 PM
voids your warranty also.

Yes, you can't even run apps in the background. iTunes doesn't support Linux

Anyway if it works for you, great.. enjoy, as I said, for some people those limitations are more than enough... for some of us they are not.

yep, i do like on android devices that you can run multiple apps, can't argue there.

not concerned with itunes not supporting linux since i run both OS's.

Thank you for quoting why it's not illegal in your reply. :)

it's not illegal in the US. it just voids my warranty. not concerned about it.

CJ Master
May 8th, 2009, 06:25 PM
it's not illegal in the US. it just voids my warranty. not concerned about it.

Did you even read my quote...?

pwnst*r
May 8th, 2009, 06:31 PM
yep, something from wikipedia? that doesn't hold much water. i've yet to see anywhere from Apple that it's illegal. find me official quotes and i'll move on.

"..."

CJ Master
May 8th, 2009, 06:37 PM
yep, something from wikipedia? that doesn't hold much water. i've yet to see anywhere from Apple that it's illegal. find me official quotes and i'll move on.

"..."

Just google DMCA. Wikipedia is just the easier way of looking at it.

I'm not sifting through that entire thing though.

pwnst*r
May 8th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Just google DMCA. Wikipedia is just the easier way of looking at it.

I'm not sifting through that entire thing though.

i'll do that.

this weekend.

Giant Speck
May 8th, 2009, 06:53 PM
i'll do that.

this weekend.

On a jailbroken iPhone. ;)

crl0901
May 8th, 2009, 06:54 PM
No iPhone. Got an HTC Kaiser.

bfc
May 8th, 2009, 06:59 PM

Did you even read my quote...?

Jailbreaking is in a legal greyzone. Cellphones unlocking is legal through a DMCA exemption that was granted in 2006.

You can interpret that to mean that jailbreaking is also legal, however, that claim has not been tested.

EFF has asked for a DMCA exemption to be granted specifically on jailbreaking of cellphones.

No ruling has been issued yet.

pwnst*r
May 8th, 2009, 07:01 PM
On a jailbroken iPhone. ;)

lol, done

Sublime Porte
May 9th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Another reason: No java apps. Industry standard, that almost every single phone has, from the most basic simple featured phone up to the suavest smartphone.

But if they allowed their users access to the millions of java apps already written to run on any phone... who would pay money for their apps? As I said... lock-in.

I cannot think of another phone, in the same league of the iPhone, that doesn't have support for java apps.

And can you at least send MMS's now? Or is that still another glaring omission in the iPhone toolset?

pwnst*r
May 9th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Another reason: No java apps. Industry standard, that almost every single phone has, from the most basic simple featured phone up to the suavest smartphone.

But if they allowed their users access to the millions of java apps already written to run on any phone... who would pay money for their apps? As I said... lock-in.

I cannot think of another phone, in the same league of the iPhone, that doesn't have support for java apps.

And can you at least send MMS's now? Or is that still another glaring omission in the iPhone toolset?

uh... there are more and better apps for the iphone whether they're paid for, free, apple approved/not approved - it's fact that the iphone's apps are one of its strongest advantages.

yes, mms was a glaring omission, but 3.0 takes care of that.

just let it go, "buddy", really.

connorh123
May 9th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Nope =/

dragos240
May 9th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I use ubuntu, I do not have an iphone. Too expensive! OH! And some community has ported a simple linux on the iphone, it can dual boot linux and whatever runs on the iphone! Pretty cool eh? But no gui, just text.

JetskiDude911
May 9th, 2009, 02:19 AM
I do have an iPhone. I ended up making a Windows XP VM and just loading iTunes on it so I could continue to sync my music to my phone.

Sublime Porte
May 9th, 2009, 02:27 AM
just let it go, "buddy", really.

Get over yourself.

You asked why, and were given reasons.... if you can't handle the facts, don't ask.

pwnst*r
May 9th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Get over yourself.

You asked why, and were given reasons.... if you can't handle the facts, don't ask.

you provided no facts.

next.

koshatnik
May 9th, 2009, 11:41 AM
True, you can have a better phone for half the money, its less 'cool' but I buy a mobile phone for its features, not for its coolness.

So, the definition of cool is something that is overpriced, impractical and performs badly? My boss is the coolest boss in the world then.

.Maleficus.
May 9th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I have an iPhone and can't live without it. Here's why.

1. It's a great phone, AND a great media player, all at once.
2. The AppStore owns any other application service out there, period. It has more apps, better user-submitted content, and apps for almost everything.
3. Mine is jailbroken, which gives me to option to download torrents, get apps for free, use Nmap, SSH to my home computer, customize the hell out of the UI, all while retaining the Apple-only apps and features.
4. It has great build quality.

To address other people's concerns...

1. No Java. Who cares? When the AppStore has over 40,000 applications written SPECIFICALLY for the iPhone, why would you want a Java app?
2. No MMS. iPhoneOS 3.0 fixes this. 3.0 also allows you to change keyboard orientation in any program (texting!) create subjects/forward texts, send them to mulitple people at once and a ton of other cool stuff. Read more on Apple's website.
3. Battery life is perfectly fine. I've never once ran out of battery life, but I (like most people I know) plug it in every night to charge. Why is that such a problem with people?
4. No support for "free formats". How many other phones support OGG? If your entire collection of music is in OGG, well, I'm sorry to hear that.

Oh, and DSi better than iPhone? :lolflag: Sorry to say, but the iPhone not only has a phone, more apps in its store and cheaper games, but they look better too. Don't believe me? Look at screens for Assassin's Creed: Altiar's Chronicles for both. The iPhone doesn't have a whole lot of "good" games right now, but it isn't a gaming platform.

Oh, and here's Prey on the iPhone. For a mobile device, those graphics are great.

http://wirelessmedia.ign.com/wireless/image/article/952/952649/prey-20090209015105423.jpg

steev182
May 9th, 2009, 01:51 PM
There are apps in the app store for ssh, you don't need to jailbreak for that.

The main problem I have with the phone is the speaker and microphone holes get clogged with a mixture of skin oils and lint from pockets and make it really hard to hear the ringer or for people to hear me. The 3G addressed this by using metal gauze for the speaker holes.

The main thing I wanted from iPhone 3.0 was A2DP, and that won't happen for me on the 2G, so I'm still going to go to android

.Maleficus.
May 9th, 2009, 01:57 PM
There are apps in the app store for ssh, you don't need to jailbreak for that.
I realize that, it was just an example ;).

The main problem I have with the phone is the speaker and microphone holes get clogged with a mixture of skin oils and lint from pockets and make it really hard to hear the ringer or for people to hear me. The 3G addressed this by using metal gauze for the speaker holes.
Not a problem for me, I have an iPhone 3G.

The main thing I wanted from iPhone 3.0 was A2DP, and that won't happen for me on the 2G, so I'm still going to go to android
This brings up a good point. 2.x OS doesn't support it, but 3.0 will. It will also be able to to file transfer over Bluetooth. And also, copy/paste!

Giant Speck
May 9th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I can't wait for MMS. I don't actually use MMS, but I will be glad to have that option again after switching over from the Blackjack II.

But there is one thing that is higher on my list of things I can't wait for, and that is 3G. I've heard from numerous sources that Anchorage should be getting 3G sometime in the next couple weeks.

steev182
May 9th, 2009, 02:26 PM
This brings up a good point. 2.x OS doesn't support it, but 3.0 will. It will also be able to to file transfer over Bluetooth. And also, copy/paste!

No, iPhoneOS 3.0 won't allow A2DP, certain Bluetooth functions or MMS on the original iPhone hardware.

caulktel
May 9th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I have a 2G 8GB iPhone, and I love it. I also have a N800 and I use it for completely different things. I also have a Acer Aspire One running UNR 9.04. As far as the iPhone goes, I think it's the best phone I have ever used and the "DRM Apps" suit me fine, (the three that I use on a daily basis that is). For what I use it for, (a communications device and not a music player) it works great.

t0p
May 9th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Do I have an iphone? No. My old sony ericsson 3G phone serves my needs nicely - I've got opera mini on it for mobile browsing, an ssh client (midpssh) if I want to access my shell account at freeshell.org, and google maps if I get lost while out and about. It's got a built-in email clent. I got a youtube app to watch streamed video from youtube and another video app (mywaves) which allows me to download a wide variety of music and other videos. I can use bluetooth/infrared/usb cable to transfer media to/from my computer. Oh,and I can watch TV on it.

When I need a new phone I'll have a look at what the latdest iphone is like then. But I expect by then there'll be a lot of linux-based phones available, and linux is my first love!

khelben1979
May 9th, 2009, 03:28 PM
No, and I don't even use phones at the present. Haven't used a phone in years (I usually don't like them, but I remember when I had an Nokia 6111. Worked okay and I could accept it). Skype / Google Talk works just fine for me.

pwnst*r
May 9th, 2009, 04:44 PM
No, and I don't even use phones at the present. Haven't used a phone in years (I usually don't like them, but I remember when I had an Nokia 6111. Worked okay and I could accept it). Skype / Google Talk works just fine for me.

i couldn't imagine not having a phone. a landline i've been without for almost 7 years but a PHONE?

linesma
June 5th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Have an iPhone 3G and I love it. Unfortunately, I have fallen into the typical Apple trap. Pay too much, and be locked in. When I bought the phone, I was hit with a double whammy. My mp3 player died so I went to get a new one (not an iPod btw). I looking at one and when I turned to look at a different one, I caught my phone on the display case edge. It went flying and shattered. So now I had to get a new phone and mp3 player! I use my cell phone as my only phone, and I use a mp3 player at work. So I priced out both and found that I could by an iPhone, at the upgrade price (I am an existing ATT Customer) for cheaper than a new phone and mp3 player separately. So I bought it, and now I am hooked and locked into ATT. Because it is lock to ATT and North America, when I go to Japan for 3 years because of work, I will not be able to use it there with a local carrier. Oh well, I guess I can adapt.

BslBryan
June 5th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I've got the non-Mac equivalent of an iPhone. It's just as expensive, and the software isn't bug-free.

Many Mac users are very gung-ho about their Macs, and that usually irritates me a bit. :-) However, the iPhone is a good product that I would like to have myself. My phone is still great, but it doesn't do nearly as much as the iPhone does.

Giant Speck
June 5th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I've got the non-Mac equivalent of an iPhone. It's just as expensive, and the software isn't bug-free.

Which is what, exactly?

pwnst*r
June 5th, 2009, 10:34 PM
how's that 3G treating you in Alaska?

Giant Speck
June 5th, 2009, 10:40 PM
how's that 3G treating you in Alaska?

Dude, I can listen to Pandora everywhere I want now. I think they've got most of the kinks out of the system now, because I can also get good 3G coverage in most places on Elmendorf AFB.

On Monday, I went for a bike ride. Four hours and thirty-three miles later, I still had battery power. Granted, I left with a full battery and got home with less than 20% battery life left, but still. Pretty impressive when you're using 3G and internet radio.

pwnst*r
June 5th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Dude, I can listen to Pandora everywhere I want now. I think they've got most of the kinks out of the system now, because I can also get good 3G coverage in most places on Elmendorf AFB.

On Monday, I went for a bike ride. Four hours and thirty-three miles later, I still had battery power. Granted, I left with a full battery and got home with less than 20% battery life left, but still. Pretty impressive when you're using 3G and internet radio.

that's awesome :) sometimes when i'm traveling for work and i pass through someplace that has shoddy 3G, i'm reminded how fortunate i have to have good 3G at home.

BslBryan
June 6th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Which is what, exactly?

Samsung Instinct (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Tbh_umdSg)

Also, the video's a bit outdated. I have the Instinct 3.0, so it does have Opera Mini, etc.

Giant Speck
June 6th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Samsung Instinct (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Tbh_umdSg)

Also, the video's a bit outdated. I have the Instinct 3.0, so it does have Opera Mini, etc.

Yeah, the video was made before the release of the iPhone 3G! :p

Also, you can tell he jailbroke the thing because it's getting cell service from T-Mobile.

pwnst*r
June 6th, 2009, 06:33 AM
you have yours broken yet?

BslBryan
June 6th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Heh, yeah. :-)

Giant Speck
June 6th, 2009, 06:47 AM
you have yours broken yet?

I jailbroke mine the day I got it.

DeadSuperHero
June 6th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I don't have an iPhone, I just have 6 pounds of dryer lint.

pwnst*r
June 6th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I jailbroke mine the day I got it.

i did the same week. only had to wait because that evening i was flying out to the west coast.

i'm going to undo it though when 3.0 is released then jailbreak again once it's been pwnd

omargohan
July 14th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Yes I have, actually I just jb my iphone with the new OS 3.0

I can sync using VirtualBox, but I'd wish an Ubuntu app.

;)

Giant Speck
July 14th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Yes I have, actually I just jb my iphone with the new OS 3.0

I can sync using VirtualBox, but I'd wish an Ubuntu app.

;)

Do they have a version of QuickPwn out for Windows? I remember they got the Mac version out really quickly. If it's out, then I might install 3.0 and then jailbreak it again.

VladLazarenko
December 6th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I have an iPhone 3G. Thinking how to trade it for something else. It simply doesn't work for me since I have switched from OS X (Snow Leopard) to Ubuntu (9.10). It is too proprietary and, therefore, useless. Not saying that AT&T's coverage sucks so badly.

chickengirl
December 6th, 2009, 07:37 PM
No. I'm holding out for AT&T to get Android.