PDA

View Full Version : server software on desktop distro?

rubenvb
February 5th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Is it just me or do a lot of server apps keep popping up in every linux distro I try? I'm talking about dns server things (bindns) and a lot of other crazy software I never seem to use.
Are these programs needed on a desktop only computer and are they required for internet surfing or is there a unseverable link with the linux kernel (which i doubt). I just fond it strange that the ubuntu desktop can function as a (partial) server for some purposes WITHOUT installing anything extra.
I'm probably missing something, but all these small apps really confuse an average computer user (like me). Thanks for any helpon clearing up the matter

az
February 5th, 2008, 04:44 PM
What server apps are you talking about?

Bind (bind9 package) is not installed by default.

Out-of-the-box, nothing is listening to the network on an Ubuntu install. There are no "server applications" installed unless you install them.

rubenvb
February 5th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Sorry if I'm wrong, but I specifically remember getting Bind updates the first time I updated Gutsy from a clean install.

bobbocanfly
February 5th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Sorry if I'm wrong, but I specifically remember getting Bind updates the first time I updated Gutsy from a clean install.

Are you sure you didnt install anything that depended on Bind before running the updates? That would be the most logical solution.

Lostincyberspace
February 5th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I use MYSQL on my desktop for Amarok so I guess it is kind of true. But just because servers use them most of the time doesn't mean they are server software.