PDA

View Full Version : C++ code analysis

jasonlfunk
February 5th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I inherited 30 thousand lines of poorly commented/documented cpp code from an ongoing project that I need to figure out how it works. Does anyone know of some software that I can use to analyze it and find function maps (what functions call what), variable usage, stuff like that?

Zugzwang
February 5th, 2008, 03:38 PM
You can try to use doxygen to generate some documentation like calling graphs (as far as I know).

Some UML tools like "Borland Together" (warning: commercial!) also generate nice graphs out of existing codes. There may be free alternatives but I don't know.

Finally, don't forget that you can still debug the code and ask the writer if you have any specific problems/questions. If he/she used design patterns heavily, you might want to look into tutorials on that or buy/lend a suitable book.

aks44
February 5th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I second Zugzwang's suggestion, doxygen + graphviz will generate a nice API reference, including dependency graphs (at the function/class level as well as at the file level) and many other goodies. The HTML output is particularly nice for exploring unknown code bases.

Some UML tools like "Borland Together" [...] There may be free alternatives but I don't know.
FYI, doxygen is indeed the free alternative you're evoking. I have no experience with the specific product "Borland Together" but I doubt that it provides much more functionality than doxygen (which is quite a complete product).

jasonlfunk
February 5th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks a lot. I'll give it a shot

Cypher
February 5th, 2008, 04:55 PM
If it was C code, I would've suggested CScope which will parse all files and allow you to figure where functions are defined and which function is calling which function and all that.

CScope will work with C++, but just not as well as C code, but you can use it to quickly search for functions, variable in C++ code.

speedbaron
April 11th, 2012, 10:29 AM
There is also a good commercial product called Understand C from Scitools; http://www.scitools.com/

fct
April 11th, 2012, 11:14 AM
You might also enjoy cppcheck, a static analysis tool to find potential bugs in code:

http://cppcheck.sourceforge.net/

3Miro
April 12th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Code::Blocks has some nice features like "where is this function called", but it may be too basic for you.

muteXe
April 12th, 2012, 10:24 AM
i've not tried this on a linux box but if you want some class diagrams built you could try and install the free trial version of Enterprise Architect and reverse engineer the code.