PDA

View Full Version : External hard drive recommendations?

monge13
February 5th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Hi everybody!

I have been researching about external hard drives but I have some doubts about the correct operation of some of those units in Linux (for example Seagate and WD External Hard Drives) because in some forums there are good references; but in another sites I found very bad experiences about the use of those brands (specially seagate).
What product do you recommend me? A external hard drive or an external enclosure? Which model?
Thanks a lot for your comments and experiences about both options.

aysiu
February 5th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I use a Lacie, and it works fine. By the way, since this is a personal preferences thread, rather than a technical support thread, I'm moving it to a more appropriate subforum.

lespaul_rentals
February 5th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I have a Seagate, and it's great! No problems with Linux whatsoever. I use it to hold my music, and it's plugged in and running 24/7. Just format it with ext3/ReiserFS/whatever and add it to your fstab, and it will mount at bootup with no issues. Or, you can plug it in when you need it for backups or whatever. It runs cool, too.

EDIT: It's this one right here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148233

bobbocanfly
February 5th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I have a Western Digital My Book Pro II 1TB RAID drive which works perfectly out of the box with Ubuntu Gutsy. Saying that i have had it for about 5 hours so i have no idea how reliable it is. I have had a Toshiba external HD for about 5 years and only now is it beginning to fail (make weird clicking noises) when under intense pressure (Reading off 160gb of data and writing it onto my new drive).

az
February 5th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Seagate drives usually come with a five-year warranty, where other brands give you one.

From browsing the sales flyers, putting together a drive in a usb enclosure is cheaper than buying the same size external drive. An "external" drive is simply a drive in an enclosure.

Avoid 2.5 inch (laptop) drives. If you want reliability, use a desktop-sized drive (3.5 inch).

Why do you need an external drive? Is it for backups or for portability. Do not use an external drive for both.

If you want extra reliability, don't carry around a drive; buy an internal drive, put it in your desktop and leave it there. If you need to carry your drive around with you, make frequent backups onto a non-portable drive.

Superkoop
February 5th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I have a Maxtor onetouch4, it works perfectly fine with Ubuntu. I don't believe the software works with Ubuntu, but that software was really useless, I never used it.

julian67
February 5th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I just buy bare drives and cheap caddies and fit them, takes about a minute, and it always works. I have several laptop drives and full size drives in external cases. The enclosures are just simple USB devices so pretty much guaranteed to be fine. If you buy a branded external drive with networking capability it may use proprietary networking protocols and basically be unsatisfactory on anything except Windows, though this is not so common as most of these devices are actually using samba.

red_Marvin
February 5th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I have two seagate freeagents 250Gb disks, I chose them based on that I've heard good things about seagate's disk quality, and the 5 year warranty is a good thing.
They look nice too.

A minor problem is that the power adaptor might give a high pitched hiss, but if my mind serves me right it tends to go away after a couple of minutes.

lespaul_rentals
February 5th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I have a Maxtor onetouch4, it works perfectly fine with Ubuntu. I don't believe the software works with Ubuntu, but that software was really useless, I never used it.

The software that comes with external hard drives really is worthless. I have a script I wrote that does a differential update of my entire music folder. I just run it every now and then to transfer the new music on my main hard drive to the big collection on my external music hard drive. I also have one for backups, just run it and the full collection on my Seagate gets copied to my backup drive.

Bash > any Windows crap

x0as
February 5th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I've had no problems with my seagate freeagent, hd spins down if its not used for 15 minutes and spins up again when you access it so it doesn't get hot.

koleoptero
February 5th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I have a WD my book external usb drive, formatted in ntfs, and it works with absolutely no problems both in linux and in windows. I have it connected most of the time cause that's where all my files are, and it boots at startup without me tampering with fstab or anything. Also I have had it since august, so I'd say it is reliable enough.

Just remember that whatever external drive you decide to buy, always unmount it before disconnecting it.

herbster
February 5th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I asked here a while ago this same question and grabbed a WD 500gb for about $110 and a Vantec NexStar3 enclosure for about $40. I can pop it in at eSata on my home pc or USB with my laptop at the office, it's great. And looks perty to boot :D

I have 3 partitions as ext3 and one NTFS. Just pop on the FS Driver on XP/Vista if need be and you're set for a 100% functional drive in each OS.

And that's my 3rd WD drive, I can't recommend their drives enough.

fedex1993
February 5th, 2008, 10:12 PM
i have a maxtor one touch IT WORKS GREAT. The software that maxtor includes the GPL source code so i can use it with linux perfect and i love the one touch feature. Thats my first my second is WD because there size and nice ness

SunnyRabbiera
February 5th, 2008, 10:38 PM
seagate, very reliable and linux friendly

jpittack
February 6th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Rosewill case with seagate drive, sata to usb. Does have esata support on the rosewill, but I don't have on my laptop, thus, I only know about the usb. Works just fine, even though the hard drive is still nfts, since I never changed it, and don't really have a choice. It backs up two windows computers, plus my laptop with vista.

johndc
February 6th, 2008, 01:41 AM
LaCie.LaCie.LaCie.LaCie.LaCie.LaCie.LaCie.LaCie.

WD MyBooks are complete garbage. I had to use one from work once, and it was horrible. My LaCie has never given me a problem in 3 years. It gets a bit hot, but it's small, fast, and reliable.

Presto123
February 6th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I asked here a while ago this same question and grabbed a WD 500gb for about $110 and a Vantec NexStar3 enclosure for about $40. I can pop it in at eSata on my home pc or USB with my laptop at the office, it's great. And looks perty to boot :D

I have 3 partitions as ext3 and one NTFS. Just pop on the FS Driver on XP/Vista if need be and you're set for a 100% functional drive in each OS.

And that's my 3rd WD drive, I can't recommend their drives enough.

You can actually find the whole thing together for $120 at BestBuy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8475063&st=external&type=product&id=1185271084002

I paid close to the same for a 320gig but that was about 6 months ago, I guess. I love mine, too.

**Edit**It's cheaper at NewEgg with free shipping. Take a look at this list here:http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=414&name=External-Hard-Drives

monge13
February 6th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Hi again!

Thanks to all for your quickly response! I really appreciate it.
I decide to buy a seagate freeagent pro 750 GB. I hope to do a good investment with this one.

Thanks!!

lespaul_rentals
February 6th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Hi again!

Thanks to all for your quickly response! I really appreciate it.
I decide to buy a seagate freeagent pro 750 GB. I hope to do a good investment with this one.

Thanks!!

Cool. Hope you enjoy.

OffHand
February 6th, 2008, 05:33 PM
WD MyBooks are complete garbage. I had to use one from work once, and it was horrible. My LaCie has never given me a problem in 3 years. It gets a bit hot, but it's small, fast, and reliable.

I have got my WD MyBook for about 2,5 months now and it never failed me. I realize 2,5 months isn't very long but so far, so good.

johndc
February 8th, 2008, 03:31 AM
I have got my WD MyBook for about 2,5 months now and it never failed me. I realize 2,5 months isn't very long but so far, so good.

It's not so much that it's unreliable -- I've never had one fail -- but it is painfully slow, and has this annoying tendency to fall "asleep" after a few minutes of inactivity. It got on my nerves so much that I created a cronjob to keep it spun up. The LaCie just seems to be a better drive, quality-wise, though it is older. It's solidly built and fast.