PDA

View Full Version : Best Monty Python Film

gn2
February 5th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Which is the best Monty Python Feature Film?

My vote goes to Life of Brian.

p_quarles
February 5th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Quest for the Holy Grail, obviously.

My vote goes to Life of Brian.
Splitter!

bufsabre666
February 5th, 2008, 02:09 PM
i guess holy grail but i dont like monty python or british humor for that matter

fatality_uk
February 5th, 2008, 02:13 PM
i guess holy grail but i dont like monty python or british humor for that matter

Don't worry, I'm sure your affliction might not last for ever. :) :D

If I may:

If it's not a personal question, are you a virgin?

gn2
February 5th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Quest for the Holy Grail, obviously.

Not obvious at all, Life of Brian was substantially more controversial.
Banned in many countries, that's always a good sign.

I'm old enough to remember when both films were released, Holy Grail had nowhere near the initial impact that Life of Brian did.
People queued down the street to see Life of Brian, Holy Grail was a box office flop.
The to-date gross for Life of Brian is four times that of Holy Grail.

Life of Brian is a much better film. Unbelievers are heretics and will be stoned to death.

p_quarles
February 5th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Not obvious at all.
Well, it's obvious when you consider the fact that I couldn't have called you a splitter if I didn't take an hyperbolically strident position. ;)

Honestly, I like just about everything they've done.

quinnten83
February 5th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I like life of brian and holy grail the best.
But i think I will go with holy grail, beacuse it was less political. I could just have a laugh!

amazingtaters
February 5th, 2008, 03:13 PM
It was a tough decision. In the end George Washington and a Bald Eagle decided for me (I flipped a coin) and Holy Grail came away with it. You can't argue with George Washington.

tigerpants
February 5th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Life of Brian was their most *precise* work, as in, it lampooned the stupidity of religion very well and it still holds up now. Grail was just 6 men pratting about in armour that lost its way towards the end so they just gave up altogether.

As the Pythons themselves have admitted, most of their stuff didnt really work at all - alot of it wasnt very funny, and was nicked largely from Spike Milligans series in the 1960's. Terry Gilliam's animations still amuse, but Python were more influential than actually funny. Their impact on British comedy was huge. A classic case of influence far exceeding actual comedic value.

ukripper
February 5th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Life of Brian all the way..............:guitar:

SomeGuyDude
February 5th, 2008, 06:15 PM
People quote Holy Grail more, but really it's only the first half that people like, up until the group reuniting. Their various quests are hilarious.

Life of Brian is far and away the better overall movie. Plus as satire it's absolutely devastating at times.

Perfect Storm
February 5th, 2008, 07:08 PM
My vote goes as well to Life of Brian.
It's absolutly brilliant.

aysiu
February 5th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Life of Brian is the only Monty Python endeavor I have known non-Python fans to appreciate. The rest they think is just too silly.

Of course, if you count side projects, A Fish Called Wanda is my favorite.

BobCFC
February 6th, 2008, 11:22 AM

Apart from a language, a legal system, free-market economics, parliament, the industrial revolution, scientific method, literature, the computer, the web, and the abolition of slavery... What have the British ever done for us?

:grin:

gn2
February 6th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Apart from a language, a legal system, free-market economics, parliament, the industrial revolution, scientific method, literature, the computer, the web, and the abolition of slavery... What have the British ever done for us?

You forgot: radio, television, pneumatic tyres, radar, the jet engine, tarmacadam, the telephone, postage stamps etc etc the list is endless.

bufsabre666
February 6th, 2008, 04:45 PM
and the US inovated it, made it better and comercial so more people could have in

win US

Onyros
February 6th, 2008, 05:33 PM
The Meaning of Life is the strangest, but it may just be my favourite.

I love 'em all, though :P

ukripper
February 6th, 2008, 06:39 PM

Gave Tony Blair and conquered iraq in this day n age.

Keith Hedger
February 6th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Not only is Life of Brian the best Python film it is the all time funniest film ever in the entire history of the universe!!!

yerf
February 6th, 2008, 08:39 PM
How about Meaning of Life?
:popcorn:

Techwiz
February 6th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Holy Grail!

eggdeng
February 6th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Python were more influential than actually funny
Too true. Still, Life of Brian is one of the best (& funniest) funny films ever.

stoodleysnow
February 6th, 2008, 10:36 PM
The Meaning Of Life.
Mostly for the Crimson Permanent Assurance sketch.
Up, up, up your premiums...:-D

mthei
February 7th, 2008, 03:19 AM
I've very surprised that the Meaning of Life isn't doing better on this poll. That said, it's a tough choice with all three of these movies.
Life of Brian probably has the best ending of any movie.

Alpinist
February 7th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Jabberwocky isn't in the poll and not mentioned once in these posts. Sheesh.

It might not be their best movie but it did have some good funny scenes.

"You don't know the opportunities you're missing."

Chilli Bob
February 7th, 2008, 05:15 AM
I voted Holy Grail. The coconuts and the dance routine at Camelot are brilliant!

jcwmoore
February 7th, 2008, 05:28 AM
None of them, Spamalot is the best! it's a live reproduction of Holy Grail, the best!

macogw
February 7th, 2008, 05:51 AM

Wait wait wait....is that why GNOME's fortune program is Wanda is the Fish?

I voted Holy Grail. I only just saw Life of Brian yesterday, but I was surprised when the end came. I expected something else funny to happen just then like something knocking all the crosses down and them walking along with it dragging behind still tied to them or something

Northsider
February 7th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Holy Grail! Yes!

derekr44
February 7th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I fart in your general direction! You and your smelly English kniggits!

Holy Grail gets my vote.

dca
February 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I'm undecided...

"Ah, good... I see you have the machine that goes BIIINNNNG!!" ...Meaning of Life

I just think all of their films are filled w/ great quotes and one-liners...

bonzodog
February 7th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Yeah, I think my favourite has to be The Meaning of Life.
The galaxy song is particularly good.

koldphlame
February 7th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Army Of Darkness All The Way

Oooppppssss Wrong Thread](*,)

Erik Trybom
February 7th, 2008, 10:39 PM
All those movies are great, but Life of Brian wins by actually having a plot. The other two are just a bunch of funny sketches put together while Life of Brian is a movie in a whole other sense.

Of course, all of them contain brilliant jokes. Just my kind of comedy.

Denis
February 8th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I'll go for The Quest for the Holy Grail ;) Its criticism towards the Middle Ages is very funny :D

Although Life of Brian is also very nice. It has been quite a while since I saw The Meaning of Life...

I really like the Monty Python movies.

aaaantoine
February 8th, 2008, 05:41 PM
How about Time Bandits? Great Terry Gilliam film!

No?

I think I'll cast my vote for The Meaning of Life. The three films are equally funny, and from the sound of it, TMoL is the underdog here.

BobCFC
February 11th, 2008, 10:00 AM
How about Time Bandits? Great Terry Gilliam film!

If you're talking TG then it's all about Twelve Monkies

BobCFC
February 11th, 2008, 10:04 AM
You forgot: radio, television, pneumatic tyres, radar, the jet engine, tarmacadam, the telephone, postage stamps etc etc the list is endless.

Railways! Choooo Choooo :-\"

NightwishFan
February 11th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I like the when French man calls them English Kniggits. :)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

k2t0f12d
February 11th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I would have voted for Yellowbeard had it been included in the list.

yabbadabbadont
February 11th, 2008, 10:08 AM

I like "Fierce Creatures" better. (I own both though)

The ending of "Life of Brian" ruined the rest of the movie for me.

xpod
February 11th, 2008, 10:41 AM
According to the Ministry of Funny Socks......i.e my better half,she reckons Holy Grail but it`s got to be Life of Bwian.

Biggus D***** is never wrong dear:)

gn2
February 11th, 2008, 11:13 AM
According to the Ministry of Funny Socks......i.e my better half,she reckons Holy Grail but it`s got to be Life of Bwian.

Biggus D***** is never wrong dear:)

He has a wife you know, do you want to know her name?

kaboodle_fish
February 11th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Incontinentia.....

Incontinentia Buttocks!

Life of Brian is the best by a country mile

Don S
February 11th, 2008, 11:54 AM
So very different, they all are - so equally funny. Yet still, Life of Brian was the first Python movie I ever watched, which is why it gets my vote. Besides the fact that it actually has a plot.

Nay nay, there is nothing as the Flying Circus, but that's not really a movie.

Incense
February 11th, 2008, 12:20 PM
The life of Brian and Holy Grail are pretty much at the same level for me, so I voted Holy Grail, mostly because I really liked Spamalot.

mkendall
February 11th, 2008, 01:31 PM
How about Time Bandits? Great Terry Gilliam film!If you're talking TG then it's all about Twelve Monkies

Brazil.

Jay Jay
February 11th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I love Holy Grail but my number one has to be Life of Brian I guess. The film would've been even more controversial but the team were forced to cut a subplot for fear of irking the wrath a certain country... The poll doesn't include And Now For Something Completely Different, that was an actual Python film - released in the cinemas...

xpod
February 12th, 2008, 01:37 AM
He has a wife you know, do you want to know her name?
Of course.....but this BD`s wife is called Michelle,and thats all i`m telling you i`m afaid:twisted:

rune0077
February 12th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Brazil.

+1 for Brazil. Freaking brilliant movie.

Oh wait, where we talking Monty Python? Holy Grail then, I guess, though Meaning of Life also had some hilarious moments (the Grim Reaper part is unforgettable).

Blue Heron
April 27th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Definitively the Holy Grail :)