PDA

View Full Version : How many of you seed torrents?

Jimmey
February 5th, 2008, 12:46 PM
How many people leave their torrent client open, just for seeding?

My share ratio is usually quite good when I download torrents (about .35, usually), but I've never been generous enough to seed. What are your thoughts and practices?

p_quarles
February 5th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I tend to keep seeding, but limit the bandwidth to the point where it doesn't affect anything else. My feeling is that most of my upload bandwidth never gets used anyway.

I do make a point of prioritizing seeds for things that I've had trouble downloading. Most recently, that's the OpenBSD installer image. Average downspeed was 4 kB/s.

hellion0
February 5th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I tend to seed indefinitely, especially with hard-to-get or startup isos.

For torrents from ratio-based places, I seed to about a 4.0 ratio. Otherwise, it's indefinite.

anaconda
February 5th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I usually seed to about 1.5 ratio..

billgoldberg
February 5th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I never seed.

Having a 35gb/limit per month (download + upload) I can't afford it.

Trail
February 5th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I never really get decent speeds with torrent, so when I am forced to download something (usually anime related) upon completion I immediately stop seeding and instead share it on linuxdcpp.

Really, torrents might be good to spread a release for the first few days and to cut on the host's bandwidth costs, but for serious p2p, torrent is the worst possible solution for me.

./shoo --force torrent

(fake command btw)

regomodo
February 5th, 2008, 01:37 PM
i seed everything to at least 1.25 ratio. For things that i had issues downloading (few and intermittent seeders) i leave it going until i decide i've seeded more than i really should do.

escobar_
February 5th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I tend to seed at least 1.50. It depends on the torrent though.

Incense
February 5th, 2008, 01:50 PM
At least 1.5 here as well. It just kind of defeats the purpose if you don't seed IMO. Though I can see bandwidth restrictions as a valid reason....

koleoptero
February 5th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I sometimes seed, especially if the torrent I have has too few seeds, but usually till the ratio hits 0.5, cause I have an adsl with 256kbit upload and seeding is a pain. If I had a symmetric connection I probably would seed well above 1.0 ratio.

bufsabre666
February 5th, 2008, 01:52 PM
i seed till 1.5 or until 2 weeks, which ever comes first

hyper_ch
February 5th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I keep seeding and seeding and seeding...

regomodo
February 5th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I sometimes seed, especially if the torrent I have has too few seeds, but usually till the ratio hits 0.5, cause I have an adsl with 256kbit upload and seeding is a pain. If I had a symmetric connection I probably would seed well above 1.0 ratio.

That's no excuse! Only this year have i been able to seed at ~90KB/s (720kb) Before that upgrade i've had ~30KB (240kbps). I'm fairly sure vmedia cap uploads as i can download at up to 2MB/s.

koleoptero
February 5th, 2008, 01:58 PM
That's no excuse! Only this year have i been able to seed at ~90KB/s (720kb) Before that upgrade i've had ~30KB (240kbps). I'm fairly sure vmedia cap uploads as i can download at up to 2MB/s.

No it wasn't an excuse, just an explanation. If I felt like excusing myself I would go and talk about it to the various torrent sites :P

My max upload is 22kbps, and download 102kbps. I usually cap the upload at 16kbps cause after that, everything else chokes. So if you do a quick calculation you'll see that I spend four times the time I download to upload and reach 0.5 ratio.

hyper_ch
February 5th, 2008, 01:59 PM
No it wasn't an excuse, just an explanation. If I felt like excusing myself I would go and talk about it to the various torrent sites :P

My max upload is 22kbps, and download 102kbps. I usually cap the upload at 16kbps cause after that, everything else chokes. So if you do a quick calculation you'll see that I spend four times the time I download to upload and reach 0.5 ratio.

Why not just keep seeding at 16?

Gigamo
February 5th, 2008, 02:02 PM
My bandwidth limit prevents me to.

koleoptero
February 5th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Why not just keep seeding at 16?

I tried to keep the torrents alive till the ratio was at least 1 one day. The first few torrents got it alright but after several large downloads (like the suse dvd) it took a lot of days to reach 1.

I don't remove the torrent when it finishes downloading. I just seed based on time mostly. Like one or two days of seeding for torrents that download fast.

kpkeerthi
February 5th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I do. But my bandwidth is unlimited only between 2am and 8am. So I seed/download anything during that time only.

amazingtaters
February 5th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I always seed to a 1.0 at the very least, and that's usually only if I'm not upping to anyone more than about .1 kb/s once I get to one. I'd say a 2.5-3 is my average ratio.

Seisen
February 5th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I seed my torrents indefinitely.

Jimmey
February 5th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I seed my torrents indefinitely.

How many torrents? How fast is your internet connection? Doesn't it make using the internet a little slower?

hyper_ch
February 5th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Doesn't it make using the internet a little slower?

If you seed at full speed it makes it slower...

I see at 90% of my total upload - 10kbps for DHT

Freddy
February 5th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I have 8mbits dedicated to seed some of the distros I have tried and liked, my last find is Rav Tux and Rui Pais e17 distro named OzOS. Not that many who have downloaded it yet though :(.

SomeGuyDude
February 5th, 2008, 04:47 PM
University network, so I'm leary of leaving seeds going, unless they're legitimate (I tend to have all of my Linux flavors seeding). That way if they bitch about it, I can just say "hey look, I'm not doing anything illegal" and then make them look like morons. :)

I also on principle refuse to stop seeding until my share ratio hits 1:1. I may not be generous, but I damn well better give as well as I get or else I feel like a jerk.

nilarimogard
February 5th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I seed unlimited all the time because i use private trackers so ratio counts a lot. I can't delete torrents until i reach 1:1 ratio and so on... But i love private trackers :D

aaaantoine
February 5th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I tried seeding the Ubuntu 7.10 AMD64 ISO when I got it, but I noticed my Internet connection kept stalling. I think one or two of the downloaders must have been using Comcast.

bobbocanfly
February 5th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I seed all music, movies that i dont think are worth people paying for and movies that are difficult or stupidly expensive to get a hold of. TV i dont seed as much as i used to because of On Demand services. I always seed the Ubuntu ISOs after they are released for a few weeks.

sagarhshah
February 5th, 2008, 05:09 PM
it depends what torrent it is.

For public trackers:-
If it is hard to find stuff then I seed for a couple of months.
If it is easy to find stuff then I seed for only 2 weeks

For Private torrents:-
It varies depending on what i am seeding like linux stuff I seed more then windows stuff.
other stuff I seed like public torrents

Sagar

insane_alien
February 5th, 2008, 05:14 PM
i seed till 2.0 though i have the latest ubuntu permanently seeding.(gutsy is at 56 just now :P)

Lostincyberspace
February 5th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I seed a lot I generally seed until it reaches a 1:100 ratio or until I reinstall the OS because I get tired of it.

ashmew2
February 5th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Well i personally believe in seeding but i dont think i can do much with a slow a## 256 kbps connection , can I ? But I think that a river is made drop my drop .... So I try to seed as much as i can..Usually I try to maintain the 1:1 Ratio atleast..

hyper_ch
February 5th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Well i personally believe in seeding but i dont think i can do much with a slow a## 256 kbps connection , can I ?
It's better than nothing... imagine if none would seed, where would you be able to leech from?

venator260
February 5th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I seed what I get to at least a 1:1 ratio. However, the only things I use bit torrent for are Ubuntu ISO's and new South Park episodes.

lespaul_rentals
February 5th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I never really get decent speeds with torrent, so when I am forced to download something (usually anime related) upon completion I immediately stop seeding and instead share it on linuxdcpp.

Really, torrents might be good to spread a release for the first few days and to cut on the host's bandwidth costs, but for serious p2p, torrent is the worst possible solution for me.

./shoo --force torrent

(fake command btw)

This is not sharing, and this kind of attitude is killing the BitTorrent world. What if the people who seeded your anime did that? Good luck downloading a torrent with 0 seeders and 100 leechers.

I feel bad whenever I don't seed a torrent I've downloaded. If it's a Linux distro I usually try to give back at least 5 GB.

%hMa@?b<C
February 5th, 2008, 10:10 PM
i seed as much as I can, usually to ~4.5 - 5

juxtaposed
February 5th, 2008, 11:28 PM
My share ratio is usually quite good when I download torrents (about .35, usually),

That's not very good at all...

I never seed.

Having a 35gb/limit per month (download + upload) I can't afford it.

Then don't download :)

Doesn't it make using the internet a little slower?

Seeding doesn't make my internet slower at all.

hhhhhx
February 5th, 2008, 11:46 PM
i tend to seed for as long as it took me to download

agurk
February 5th, 2008, 11:56 PM
i dont think i can do much with a slow a## 256 kbps connection , can I?

A measly 1 KB/s amounts to 2.5 GB in a month.

regomodo
February 6th, 2008, 12:01 AM
How many torrents? How fast is your internet connection? Doesn't it make using the internet a little slower?

Bittorrent, in most cases, doesn't make your internet slower. Keep the upload at about 90% of your limit and you should be fine. That is unless you do online gaming. Turn it off.

awalsh
February 6th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I seed pretty much 24/7 on my home PC which is like 50kbps upload, so on a ubuntu image it takes quite a while to get to 1:1. When a new release comes out I usually grab the ISO's from a fast mirror with my server (on a 100mbps connection) then just let the bandwidth burn for a few days. When gutsy came out I got many of the ISOs (kubuntu, ubuntu, xubuntu, in 64bit and 32bit alternate/live-cd) and seeded them to 100:1 on my server. I went a bit overboard with it last time and got charged £30 (approx $60) in bandwidth overages at my host, but it didn't really bother me.

I think everyone should seed for as long as possible, because someone has spent time seeding to you its only fair to seed back whatever you can. Even if you only put up a small percentage of what you downloaded it all adds up in the end :)

earobinson
February 6th, 2008, 12:44 AM
/me seeds the ubuntu torrents :)

Trail
February 6th, 2008, 09:05 AM
This is not sharing, and this kind of attitude is killing the BitTorrent world. What if the people who seeded your anime did that? Good luck downloading a torrent with 0 seeders and 100 leechers.

I feel bad whenever I don't seed a torrent I've downloaded. If it's a Linux distro I usually try to give back at least 5 GB.

If the people that seeded the anime did that, then I'd find the anime in dc++, so I wouldn't even need to launch torrent and i'd be happier :) I very much prefer dc++ than torrent, personally.

The feeling I get is that the first week that a torrent is out, you'll get, say, 100 seeders and leechers. Fast forward one month, and you have 3-5 seeders and leechers. On dc++, though, any files are pretty much permanently available. There are people with about 6Tb shares. And, you can chat in the hubs :)

On the other hand, though, dc++ usually does not have immediately available the latest torrent releases. So if I want to watch some unlicensed anime I am following, I am forced to use a torrent. Also, there are some pretty rare stuff I am interested in, and I have to switch between dc++, torrent and irc while searching for them.

It's not like I don't share. I always leave my PC on a p2p when sleeping/not at home, and very often I have an empty download queue. And a largely-above-average share size.

rune0077
February 6th, 2008, 09:35 AM
The feeling I get is that the first week that a torrent is out, you'll get, say, 100 seeders and leechers. Fast forward one month, and you have 3-5 seeders and leechers. On dc++, though, any files are pretty much permanently available. There are people with about 6Tb shares. And, you can chat in the hubs :)

Use bigger torrent-sites. You can easily find places where a new torrent has thousands of seeders, in which case the download speed is much better than a direct download from an average server.

RAV TUX
February 6th, 2008, 10:39 AM

My share ratio is usually quite good when I download torrents (about .35, usually), but I've never been generous enough to seed. What are your thoughts and practices?I actively seed the OzOs Torrent (http://cafelinux.org/OzOs/content/ozos-iso-downloads-torrents) the Torrent Client I use is the built in Torrent client in Opera. If I am connected to the internet, Opera is open and the OzOs Torrent (http://cafelinux.org/OzOs/content/ozos-iso-downloads-torrents) is being seeded. ;)

RAV

JT9161
February 7th, 2008, 01:21 AM
I seed as much as I can but that isn't as much as I would like. My ISP (Qwest) throttles BT and blocks encryption and BT always has hogged system recourses

Northsider
February 7th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I only get ~35Kb/s upload...

Pretty useless for seeding.

oldb0y
February 7th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I try to seed at least 5-6 distros all the time, I have 10Mbit upload.

k2t0f12d
February 7th, 2008, 07:05 PM

My share ratio is usually quite good when I download torrents (about .35, usually), but I've never been generous enough to seed. What are your thoughts and practices?

Good practice is common sense. The rule of thumb is to give back as much as you get, always, even if it isn't in the same torrent. This is a problem in some places, particularly New Zealand, whose ISPs have implemented the insane, abusive, and antiquated practice of charging for both service and data. Shame on you Kiwi's for allowing that! Shame on U.S. ISP, Comcast for selectively throtting BT traffic.

Sharing is caring.

bobbocanfly
February 7th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I only get ~35Kb/s upload...

Pretty useless for seeding.

Every little helps. I know if i was downloading something and i got 50kbps instead of 20kbps id be pretty damn happy.

Aquaman420
February 7th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I seed all the time to get my karma in line. It usually depends on the details of the torrent also. I atleast give at an even 1.0 ratio. If I am not downloading anything I usually bump up my bandwidth and get a decent upload of 150kb/s

sniperelite
July 25th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I tend to keep seeding, but limit the bandwidth to the point where it doesn't affect anything else. My feeling is that most of my upload bandwidth never gets used anyway.

I do make a point of prioritizing seeds for things that I've had trouble downloading. Most recently, that's the OpenBSD installer image. Average downspeed was 4 kB/s.

i will seed all torrents mostly upto 1..5 ratio,For less seed torrents if i like that file i will seed until 0 persons downloading
Because it is rare and we are responsible to the torrent became alive in P2P network

snargfish
July 25th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I always give back double what I take. Karma is a bitch, and I want her on my side.

c2006
July 25th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I don't seed, and in fact, I rarely (if ever) use a torrent.

Most ISP's here count both uploads and downloads in the same quota, so it's just not worthwhile (I'll add that our internet speeds are woeful compared to much of the rest of the world).

Gotta love Australia! lol.

Sand & Mercury
July 25th, 2009, 12:00 PM
^ I'll be in the same situation in a month, when I relocate back down under.

Even here I just don't have the bandwidth to seed very much. I try to keep my ratio at least 1:1, but it's difficult.

Wisey
July 25th, 2009, 12:13 PM
You people make me sad. :( I have a measly 256 kbps download(kilobits), the upload is probably equal or lower. I just seed till 1:1 and then remove the torrent. A couple of torrents uploading and I have ridiculous upload speeds for each peer, something like 1 kbps or lesser.
It is better than dial-up I guess.

khelben1979
July 25th, 2009, 12:14 PM
At the present I don't since it slows down my computer and I don't have any storage on my harddrive for it either.

Sealbhach
July 25th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I seed to 1.2. I have unlimited downloads but I don't want to attract too much attention from my ISP.