PDA

View Full Version : Are these really the same in C++ ??

BuffaloX
February 5th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I was going through a tutorial on C++,
When I got confused by the use of syntax I hadnt seen explained previously.
Then I tried fiddling a bit and it seems that

int* p;
int * p;
int *p;
int*p;

Means exactly the same...
Is this really true, or is it just me that misunderstands something.

CptPicard
February 5th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Yes... they are the same. "int* p" and "int *p" are the most common variants, I'd discourage the use of the others, they sort of "tokenize" * separately and it looks too much like multiplication... personally I use "int *p".

BuffaloX
February 5th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks for confirming, It really confused me.
But now I can read C code a little better.
I think I prefer int *P too, since it most looks like whats really being done.

CptPicard
February 5th, 2008, 10:55 AM
There's a bit of a philosophical difference there that we had a thread of some time ago... they are the same thing but you can think of them slightly differently. If you prefer to read the thing from right to left as "p is a pointer to int" you actually might want to see it as (int*) p, where the * is part of the type of the pointer.

If you prefer to see things from the dereferencing point of view -- considering what *p is when you evaluate it -- you can think of it as "*p is an int", so "int *p" may make more sense then.

Lster
February 5th, 2008, 11:07 AM
If you prefer to see things from the dereferencing point of view -- considering what *p is when you evaluate it -- you can think of it as "*p is an int", so "int *p" may make more sense then.

That is brilliant - I've never visualized it like that before! Somehow I just never thought along that path. Thanks.

CptPicard
February 5th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I think it was aks44 who first explained that to me in that thread a few months ago. It was a bit of a revelation to me too, although I've always used int *p myself -- while always reading it the first way I mentioned -- thinking of it primarily as a type declaration for "p", not "*p" :)

public_void
February 5th, 2008, 03:58 PM
You have to remember your code goes through a lexical analyser and it doesn't care too much how you write it just sees lexemes that map to a token. In each case it reads "i" "n" "t" (int), "*", "p" and ";" and disregards the whitespace. So in each case you have <type><*><variable name><semi-colon> which is syntactically correct so the parser is happy.

c174
February 5th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Many people prefer "int *p", because when you create multiple variables in a single statement like this

int *p1, *p2

then both "p1" and "p2" will be pointers - as expected. If you do like this

int* p1, p2

then "p1" is a pointer, but "p2" is an int. However, personally I prefer "int* p" and also "int& p" e.g. when passing arguments to a function. It emphasizes the type of the variable :)

aks44
February 5th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Many people prefer "int *p", because when you create multiple variables in a single statement like this

int *p1, *p2

int* p1, p2

then "p1" is a pointer, but "p2" is an int.

What those very people often forget, is that a pointer (like any other variable) should be initialized as soon as it is declared, which doesn't mix well with multiple declarations per line (unless one loves messy unreadable code, of course). ;)

I for one prefer to emphasize on the actual type of the variable too. This brings orthogonality to the whole source code, especially when dealing with templates (as any half competent C++ programmer has to).

BuffaloX
February 9th, 2008, 06:56 PM

int *p1, *p2

int* p1, p2

then "p1" is a pointer, but "p2" is an int. However, personally I prefer "int* p" and also "int& p" e.g. when passing arguments to a function. It emphasizes the type of the variable :)

This is really bad in C / C++ syntax, it's so bad I'd call it a bug.
This is good to know, before attempting to read other peoples code.