PDA

View Full Version : hey, wouldn't it be cool if there couldbe/was amarok gnome edition

barbedsaber
February 5th, 2008, 07:55 AM
this is probobly impossible, but how cool would it be, if there was a gnome edition of amarok, (or amarog) I love amarok, and i love gnome, I tried exail, but it handled my podcasts terribly, and amarok just seems so slow, and I assume that is because I have to load kde stuff for it to run. My computer is like a week and a half ole, and it took over 30 seconds to load amarok, maybe im asking too much, but, how long should it take to play a few tracks, or a podcast?

Would it be possible?

Would it be cool (possible or not)

just seemed like a good idea.

bufsabre666
February 5th, 2008, 08:02 AM
well since its open source it should be completely possible, and i totally support this, i really dont like kde that much but i adore amarok, i end up using rhythmbox becuase of these issues

i really think this is an idea that should be submittable

hellmet
February 5th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I use gnome too, and would love K3B and AmaroK on gnome.. it would be lovely, without having to install those kde dependencies..

SomeGuyDude
February 5th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I use gnome too, and would love K3B and AmaroK on gnome.. it would be lovely, without having to install those kde dependencies..

I never got why people love amaroK so much over other programs. It's nice, but I still think Exaile's a more than adequate version of it and lately I've fallen in love with Banshee.

Circus-Killer
February 5th, 2008, 08:13 AM
if you want something similar to amaroK for gnome, try out Exaile!

sudo apt-get install exaile

barbedsaber
February 5th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I have tried exail, and it seemed pretty good, but amarok handles my podcasts much better. (I listen to a lot of podcasts) with exai, I have to find the exail folder in my home directory, and copy them onto my mp3 player. and the file names are seemingly random numbers and letters, that my mp3 player can read only occasionaly. with amarok, i can drag teh podcast straight to my mp3 player, and i assume, i could drag the podcasts folder if i wanted to. Also, lots of other people preer amarok, i am thinking of them as well.

hyperair
February 5th, 2008, 08:31 AM
+1 for Exaile, but I'm still sticking with Amarok. Exaile's searching feature leaves much to be desired.

DJ_Peng
February 5th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I moved from Amarok to Exaile, but I have to say I prefer Amarok and would love it if it was coded fro Gnome. Amarok's searching is better, plus their library management is better, especially when it comes to compilation albums and ID'ing albums by year of its release. I ended up having both programs installed because sometimes I just want to use some of Amarok's features, although Exaile lives on my AWN dock, Amarok does not.

Circus-Killer
February 5th, 2008, 08:44 AM
One more thing about Exaile! is that it is much "younger" than most other media players, so there will be bugs here and there and new features and enhancements are getting continuesly added.

So whilst Exaile! may not be a viable option at the moment, don't forget to keep trying it out as it progresses. I suspect that once development gets further it will start giving Amarok a run for its money.

DJ_Peng
February 5th, 2008, 09:00 AM
That's a big part of why it lives on my dock. I help test early versions of software from Mozilla and Linden Labs specifically to not just see what's coming up but to see the progression from buggy to (mostly, hopefully) fixed. I look forward to seeing how Exaile "grows up." But I may still dump it in a New York minute if Amarok was to get a Gnome version. ;)

barbedsaber
February 5th, 2008, 09:32 AM
thats waht i think about songbird, people are raving on about how good it is, and its a freaking beta, how good is it going to be when its finsished?

hyperair
February 5th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I couldn't care less about Songbird really. I like my music player and browser to be separate.

Trail
February 5th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Maybe you can try changing the database manager to MySQL. I heard it can improve performance quite a lot at some cases. Search for that thread.

By the way, I myself use amarok on gnome. (No contest between amarok and any other player, amarok is by far a winner). I find it has a slow cold loading time, and a medium hot loading time. Loading time did improve once i fixed my collection, though. But then again, I load it once, leave my computer open for like a week, and amarok is permanently on the system tray (global shortcuts ftw), so i don't actually mind it loading slowly.

Christmas
February 5th, 2008, 12:29 PM
It can be done, however, there should be volunteers who would want to make a GTK frontend to it. On the other hand, being a KDE supporter, I'd like to see GTK applications like XChat with a QT interface. That would be really great.

samwyse
February 5th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I'd like to see GTK applications like XChat with a QT interface. That would be really great.

Does Konversation lack something?

gn2
February 5th, 2008, 02:54 PM
it took over 30 seconds to load amarok

I have Xubuntu 7.10 64-bit and Amarok opens in five seconds.
That includes loading the required KDE services.

koleoptero
February 5th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I was using exaile for some time now, and it is great, and fits perfectly into gnome. However I started using amarok again cause some things are working better, like how it categorizes collections under various artists, and how it monitors folders much better than exaile. Also exaile was taking up too much ram, while amarok doesn't. But the reason I eas using exaile for some time was that amarok doesn't follow the gtk themes, and when I used a dark theme amarok looked like s***. So yeah if a gnome port of amarok could be made, I'd happily use it.

Eddie Wilson
February 5th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Amarok is a good player but I think that Rythmbox has a better interface for listing your music files. Also Rythmbox has always worked great for me. Of course all I do with it is play music and playlist.

barbedsaber
February 6th, 2008, 07:18 AM
I think the general feeling is that it would be a pretty good thing,and kde has HEAPS of apps that are better than gnome's equvivlent, and come to think of it, im sure there are some kde users that would prefer certain gnome apps, so, raise your hand if you are capeble of doing this (quickly presses both hands to floor and stands on them) if I get no response, then I will submit it somwhere so that hopefully it can be done.

FuturePilot
February 6th, 2008, 07:25 AM
I never got why people love amaroK so much over other programs. It's nice, but I still think Exaile's a more than adequate version of it and lately I've fallen in love with Banshee.

Same here. I like Exaile better.

Shingo [fw]
September 16th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Exaile maybe is a good player, but still I can't find anything better for me than Amarok. I noticed that Exaile uses something about 40MB of memory. I'ts pretty much for me when I have only 512MB on my laptop.

billgoldberg
September 16th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I've used Amarok for a while, whilst using pclinuxos 2007.

What the hell is so great about it? I don't get it.

--

I use exaile/ mpd-mpc-sonata/bmpx or xmms.

I don't use banshee because of mono nor amarok because it's not gtk.

barbedsaber
September 16th, 2008, 08:39 AM
lol, i started this thread ages ago, i use rhythm box now, never the less so many people seem to prefer amrok, so, yeah. (I was gonna say something, got distracted by something shiny.)

DJ_Peng
September 16th, 2008, 12:26 PM
;5798039']Exaile maybe is a good player, but still I can't find anything better for me than Amarok. I noticed that Exaile uses something about 40MB of memory. I'ts pretty much for me when I have only 512MB on my laptop.
I know what you mean. I have about 750MB of RAM and Exaile is so bloody slow it's painful to use. I could listen to almost an entire track in another player while Exaile is loading. It's a shame, too, because I'm pretty sure it's the preferred GNOME audio media player (although Totem is the default in Ubuntu).

I've used Amarok for a while, whilst using pclinuxos 2007.

What the hell is so great about it? I don't get it.

--

I use exaile/ mpd-mpc-sonata/bmpx or xmms.

I don't use banshee because of mono nor amarok because it's not gtk.
The thing I liked so much about Amarok is that it has the shortest learning curve for people who used Windows Media Player. It has fantastic library functions and if I want to put together a playlist of many different artists, or want to use an autoplaylist based on genre, etc., I can do it faster on Amarok. Even if it's the one KDE app on my hard drive and requires so many KDE dependencies.

That said, I fire up MPD/Sonata for most of my listening. So far the one thing I dislike about Sonata is that if I do a search for a song I can't tell which version is which. I often look for an album version of a song only to start the track and find out I picked the live version.

lol, i started this thread ages ago, i use rhythm box now, never the less so many people seem to prefer amrok, so, yeah. (I was gonna say something, got distracted by something shiny.)
Amarok's fast, easy to use, and if you have a library north of 10,000 tracks their cataloging functions beat anything else I've tried. And believe me, I think I've tried them all. I also checked out Banshee and gmusicplayer and found them lacking for how I want to work.

/me loves open source programs. For just about any task there are multiple choices that have something for everyone's prefs

mips
September 16th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Does Konversation lack something?

For me it does although it is kinda cosmetic. I like the separate column for nicks in Xchat, just makes things easier to follow for me.

I see apps like VLC moving to QT and I also saw a running version of Firefox3 QT. I think the trend is going to increase and not the other way round.