PDA

View Full Version : schools keep usng proprietary software such like Microsoft Office

FastMady123
February 5th, 2008, 01:52 AM
How come schools keep using Microsoft Office? What can I do the fix this problem?

ntowakbh
February 5th, 2008, 01:53 AM
How come schools keep using Microsoft Office? What can I do the fix this problem?

Schools use what they use, and I doubt there is much that can be done about it. I had to use Word through my whole computer class.

bufsabre666
February 5th, 2008, 01:55 AM
i have to use ms office 07 for school but i submitted the idea to drop it and use OOo and it was accepted theyre ganna vote on it at the end of the semester

solitaire
February 5th, 2008, 02:02 AM
the 2 main reasons Schools still use M$ are:

1) The state / region / school district have signed an agreement with M$ to get it cheap (usually bundled with a load of "free" comps or Tech equipment for schools)

2) They think the Support for anything other than M$ Operating Systems and software will cost them far more than the offer from M$.

Basic facts are that School's are stretched for funding and they usually take the "Safe" way out when it comes to spending money. Safe these day's is usually Microsoft as everyone can use it quickly and easily.

days_of_ruin
February 5th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Tell em they can save money.Try to convince them that a lot of people
use FOSS

FranMichaels
February 5th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Schools use what they use, and I doubt there is much that can be done about it. I had to use Word through my whole computer class.

People need to be aware of stuff like this (http://boycottnovell.com/2008/02/01/lockin-method-vs-linux/) and decide whether or not the donations/charity tied to having Windows used is worth it.

Some people have ideas, here is an interesting one, to use lobbying in the other direction (http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/fight_microsofts_lobbying_of_the_worlds_government s_call_to_free_and_open_source_millionaires).

Also, if a computer class is centered around one application, I think the course should be renamed. ;)

manimal347
February 5th, 2008, 04:15 AM
If it bothers you, just run Abiword or OpenOffice off a USB jumpdrive. I'd like to see Linux machines at my school, but it ain't happening yet. We did get limited phone support for a few distros like Ubuntu, CentOS, and Suse, though.