PDA

View Full Version : Is "beginning game development with python and pygame a good book?

days_of_ruin
February 5th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I am planning on getting and I see it has gotten mixed reviews.
Anyone here have it?

days_of_ruin
February 5th, 2008, 04:21 AM
bump

pmasiar
February 5th, 2008, 04:37 AM
What other Python books you read? You own? What is your skill level? What is your goal to learn?

It might be good book for some people, like city map can be useful to get oriented - but only if it is a map of right city :-)

LaRoza
February 5th, 2008, 04:42 AM
You might want to read the online (free) resources first, to see if it is worth buying a book.

If you know Python already, it might not be worth buying (depending on cost). Many books that I see that involve more than one technology/library want to give background on anything. I saw an Ajax book that was mostly a bad HTML, and JavaScript. In my opinion, a book on Ajax should assume the reader knows XHTML and ECMAScript, and state that. In the same light, this book might be a bad tutorial on Python and a bit on PyGame.

days_of_ruin
February 5th, 2008, 09:35 PM
You might want to read the online (free) resources first, to see if it is worth buying a book.

If you know Python already, it might not be worth buying (depending on cost). Many books that I see that involve more than one technology/library want to give background on anything. I saw an Ajax book that was mostly a bad HTML, and JavaScript. In my opinion, a book on Ajax should assume the reader knows XHTML and ECMAScript, and state that. In the same light, this book might be a bad tutorial on Python and a bit on PyGame.

From what I have read of the pygame book only the first to chapters
are about python.The rest is about pygame.

RawMustard
February 6th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I've played around with a few pygame aps, they're very taxing on your cpu and system. is this the norm? I looked at a media center type app that required pygame and just sitting there idle doing nothing it was using 75% of my cpu. Same goes for the many games I tried that were using pygame.

I'm on a Feisty 64 bit system so maybe that has something to do with it?