PDA

View Full Version : Problem, BlueJ Java environment

Sugz
February 5th, 2008, 12:35 AM
So i was compiling a method tosay in Java when i was faced with the following error.

cannot resolve scanner - class scanner

i had a look around and saw that i perhaps had outdated. JDK or Java runtime environment.

I think i may have got the most recent version. but how do i make BlueJ point to this new JRE or how do i sort anything else out?

I am so confused but i would prefer to get this problem sorted asap.

-Many thanks

-Sugz

jken146
February 5th, 2008, 12:36 AM
What version of java are you using? To find out, open a terminal and type
java -version

Shin_Gouki2501
February 5th, 2008, 01:08 AM
bluJ ... don't know who thinks this is good for java learning.. me not.
well give us details on ur source code and java version and we may be able to help u!

The Cog
February 5th, 2008, 01:24 AM
bluJ ... don't know who thinks this is good for java learning.. me not.
I do.

Did you write a class scanner? If so, check it's not Scanner (capital S) instead.
If not, you probably need to import the package that contains the class, and again, it's probably a capital S.

Sugz
February 5th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Fixed it, i simply downloaded JDK 6, deleted (uninstalled) all remanents of Bluej and then re-installed Blue J pointing to the new version.
Im now running java 1.5.0_13 (if thats the latest one)

Again thanks for the help

JamesUser
February 5th, 2008, 10:43 AM
wait a minute.. you downloaded JDK6, and re-installed BlueJ to point to it. And it shows 1.5? Maybe BlueJ brings with it a JDK too..

Anyways latest JDK is 1.6 while J2EE SDK is 1.5.

jken146
February 5th, 2008, 01:21 PM
BlueJ doesn't bring a JDK with it; the installer asks you to point it to a JDK. On having installed Sun's JDK version 6 from the Ubuntu repositories, you can point the BlueJ installer to /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.03

hfinger
April 24th, 2009, 12:54 AM
bluJ ... don't know who thinks this is good for java learning.. me not.u!

Well, I do. It's used by Monash University and I got a High Distinction and had never programmed before. You can download a version of Netbeans that incorporates BlueJ. You can access the same files from both IDEs simultaneously and each IDE automatically updates its view. A great way to ditch the training wheels gradually.

Regards,
Hedley :cool: