PDA

View Full Version : Looks like a Linux Amazon MP3 downloader is coming

cstudent
February 4th, 2008, 08:40 PM
When Amazon started their MP3 site I left feedback that I would like to see a Linux version of their downloader. Today I got an email. Looks like it will be coming soon. I just thought some people here would be interested to know this.

Below is the content of the email:

Greetings Linux user,

You're receiving this e-mail because you expressed interest in
the Linux version of the Amazon MP3 Downloader.

At launch we'll support Ubuntu 7.10, OpenSUSE 10.3, Fedora 8, and Debian 4.

If you use any of these distributions, live within the United States,
and are interested in testing, please reply to this e-mail and note
your distribution; we'll then provide you with an installation
package and instructions.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Amazon MP3 Team

Neon Lights
February 4th, 2008, 08:42 PM
squeee, that's great to know. <3

fluteflute
February 4th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Great! Along with the announcement they will be going international Amazon looks like it will be my first music downloading website!

Sunflower1970
February 4th, 2008, 08:53 PM
*hops up & down in excitement*

Yay! Can't wait.

argraff
February 4th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I just sent them a message too (hoping they'll let me test too!!!). If anyone else would like to reassure them of the money-making opportunity that Linux fans are, email amazonmp3-feedback@amazon.com (mailto:amazonmp3-feedback@amazon.com)!

I can't wait - this is big! :cool:

aysiu
February 4th, 2008, 10:33 PM
If anyone else would like to reassure them of the money-making opportunity that Linux fans are, email amazonmp3-feedback@amazon.com (mailto:amazonmp3-feedback@amazon.com)!

Or you could just start buying MP3s off Amazon now. I believe the downloader is needed only if you're buying entire MP3 albums, as opposed to individual songs. I know I've bought individual songs off Amazon using Ubuntu.

cstudent
February 5th, 2008, 12:56 AM
The Amazon developers emailed me the .deb file. I installed it and downloaded a couple of albums. It worked great. Amazon asked that I not distribute the deb file, so I will honor their request, but from what I see, it shouldn't be long before it will be publicly available.

Also, aysiu is correct. The downloader is only needed for downloading whole albums, which is usually what I purchase.

shad0w_walker
February 5th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Now if they would just open it up to the rest of the world.

Kingsley
February 5th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I bet those distribution versions will be outdated by the time the downloader is released. Nonetheless, it's good news for MP3-buying Linux users.

Incense
February 5th, 2008, 01:05 AM
That's great news! Good to hear that amazon is doing the right thing. I hope they release a linux compatible version of the audible software next.

tbroderick
February 5th, 2008, 01:20 AM
The Amazon developers emailed me the .deb file. I installed it and downloaded a couple of albums. It worked great. Amazon asked that I not distribute the deb file, so I will honor their request, but from what I see, it shouldn't be long before it will be publicly available.

Also, aysiu is correct. The downloader is only needed for downloading whole albums, which is usually what I purchase.

So what are the dependencies? GTK2, QT, Java, Mono?

zenwhen
February 5th, 2008, 01:36 AM
This is good to hear. I have been buying all of my music from them for a couple of months and I am really satisfied with the quality, the price, and their software for OSX.

cstudent
February 5th, 2008, 02:34 AM
So what are the dependencies? GTK2, QT, Java, Mono?

libgtkmm, libboost-thread, libboost-iostreams, libboost-signals, libboost-date-time, libcurl3, libssl, xdg-utils

corbbz
February 5th, 2008, 01:37 PM
This is great news. I cannot wait until they launch the International store with official Linux support. =D>

Then I will actually buy some online music instead of normal CDs.

capndeathstrike
February 8th, 2008, 05:40 AM
YES! Very cool. Anyone know when we can expect this?

The non-working user interface with Wine is getting old. It's better than nothing right now, I guess.

Ubuntu Joe
February 29th, 2008, 06:07 AM
I pretty much can't wait . . . . I got the same information today from an Amazon rep . . .

DYING to get my mp3s from them!!!

:guitar:

fluteflute
March 2nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
It is here!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/dmusic/help/amd.html

jviscosi
March 13th, 2008, 01:09 AM
It is here!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/dmusic/help/amd.html

I used it for the first time yesterday and it was utterly trouble-free. I'm thrilled that Amazon is supporting Linux in this fashion and don't foresee using my wife's iBook to buy anything from iTunes in the future. (Burning CDs of iTunes music and ripping them to remove the copy protection gets old fast.)

LaRoza
March 13th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I liked Amazon for their policies and DRM free music, but this is a great thing for them to do.

(It seems it is written in C++, and interesting choice)

I have yet to buy music digitally, as I prefer CD's, but maybe I will just for this :)

Crashmaxx
March 13th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Ugh, this is great news and I'd really like to use this, but as long as I can't redownload the songs I buy I don't think I will be buying them here. I just can't imagine spending a bunch of money on mp3's and then loosing them one way or another and having all that money go to waste.

I'll stick to XM for mainstream music and Jamendo for all my downloads. I feel much better switching to independent artists that support a free model of business anyway.

Mateo
March 13th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Ok, but why is it necessary to have a program to download mp3s? Web-browsers already have built in downloaders. This seems like redundancy IMO.

Bubba64
March 13th, 2008, 06:07 AM
You could download mp3s on Amazon before in single song packages this one allows whole files full albums.

graabein
March 13th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I plan to stick to the old CDs for now but I'm interested in the quality they offer? Do they have lossless editions?

They should most definitely offer download history and repeated downloads. Maybe even in different quality, so you can have the hi-def albums on the media center at home and a small version on the portable mp3 player.

Bubba64
March 14th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Before Amazon offered this mp3 down loader I tried DUH to download a whole album and wasn't able to. They allowed me a second per song download of a digitally remastered jazz album from 1964. I have a pretty cheap stereo so it sounds pretty good, I know the audiophiles want ogg lossless and probably other formats. You can download a single songs and you get one free download with the install so that might be a good way to check the audio quality.