PDA

View Full Version : Help with PSU connections?

igknighted
February 4th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I am putting together a new server box, and my board is for a dual xeon setup. I have an 8pin cpu power connector and a 4pin connector on the board, and only a single 4/8pin detachable coming out of the PSU. I have plugged it into the 8pin, as from what I gather it should power both CPUs, but when I hit the power switch, it spins up and i get a series of 8 beeps that repeats, but no booting.

Do I need to use the other 4-pin CPU power input on the board? Might I have another issue that is unrelated? The only thing I could think of was it didn't like my raid card, but I pulled that out and nothing changed. Any thoughts would be helpful.

PS... its for my office, we are migrating an old Netware 4 file server over to linux

Lostincyberspace
February 4th, 2008, 04:14 PM
could you take a picture of the problems or put up a link to where we can see it.

Also do you have a server psu if you don't then you might not have the right connector.

~LoKe
February 4th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Read the motherboard manual to find out what the beep codes mean in your case. 8 beeps is usually a video error (bad video card, improperly seated, etc). Pull the card out and see if it boots.

igknighted
February 4th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Read the motherboard manual to find out what the beep codes mean in your case.

It's an OEM board bought online, didn't come with a manual and since I don't know which OEM the board came from, I can't get a manual. Google showed a lot of people asking and no one knowing. It's a gigabyte, so I'm looking for a similar board and what the beep code might mean.

Here's a pic, all connections are along the top. Main power (24pin) in upper right, 8pin in middle (both shown with connections) and in the upper right is the unconnected 4pin.

EDIT: Turns out I can't count, thats 7 beeps. The only bios I can find to offer that many beeps is AMI, where 7 is a virtual mode exception error. No idea what this means.

~LoKe
February 4th, 2008, 04:37 PM
So your PSU has 24pin/8pin/4pin connectors? Why haven't you plugged the 4pin into the mobo next to the CPU?

igknighted
February 4th, 2008, 04:44 PM
So your PSU has 24pin/8pin/4pin connectors? Why haven't you plugged the 4pin into the mobo next to the CPU?

No, its one 8/4 adjustable connector (shown plugged in to the 8pin). I tried it as a 4 pin connector in the 4pin one too. No change.