PDA

View Full Version : How many of u still use compiz fusion?

snakeeyes
February 4th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I was just wondering this cause I never use compiz fusion on my default kde install anymore cause I have used it for so long that it doesn't feel like a big deal any more.

tigerpants
February 4th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Its nice a nice gimmick. I dont find it very practical for day to day use. Horse for courses though. Still prefer Open/Fluxbox.

snakeeyes
February 4th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I can think of practical uses for it when I show off in front of my friends. I just use it to make them jealous otherwise its usually off.

perlluver
February 4th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I can think of practical uses for it when I show off in front of my friends. I just use it to make them jealous otherwise its usually off.

+1

aeiah
February 4th, 2008, 02:56 PM
i still find it nice for the rotating cube, when moving windows to another desktop and whatnot. it gives a better visual idea of what's going on than the normal multiple desktop situation. i also use the zoom function, for when im sat way back at the other end of my living room or im showing my girlfriend a section of a news article or something, and she's again sat at the back of the room.

Seisen
February 4th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Its nice a nice gimmick. I dont find it very practical for day to day use. Horse for courses though. Still prefer Open/Fluxbox.

+1 I used to get in my moods where I wanted to use Compiz-fusion but now I just use Openbox and now I don't have to worry about Compiz-fusion.

snakeeyes
February 4th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Whats openbox? Ok I know its another window manager, but what does it offer?

PmDematagoda
February 4th, 2008, 03:14 PM
OpenBox is a very light desktop environment, it is really great especially if you have a very old PC with low specifications.

Depressed Man
February 4th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I still use Compiz Fusion.

billgoldberg
February 4th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Compiz fusion is on 24/7.

I coudn't do without the "expo" plugin any more. And I also use the wigdet layer alot.

Dragging stuff to the edge and thus moving it to a new desktop is also one I use alot.

I've also grown very fond of the wobbly windows.

The rest is just for showing off.

tigerpants
February 4th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Tabbing apps negates the need for multiple desktops for me. Never understood why more WM dont feature tabbing. Its the single most useful thing in the world.

deepclutch
February 4th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I use Debian Sid most times and doesnot use compiz-fusion.but I have a Ubuntu gutsy with compiz all enabled installed,just to lure pathetic vista boys and other new Linux users :)

Trail
February 4th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Usually off.

When on, it's some slight effects that I like, where they produce a nice effect but don't tire and intrude. I also like the group tabbing, and mid/right-clicking on the maximize window to maximize vertically and horizontically (that gnome doesn't but kde does), some stuff like that.

But since i also occasionally play fullscreen games, there is that annoying thing that i haven't bothered fixing that shows the gnome panels while in fullscreen.

Those things weighted, i usually turn it off because i can't be bothered.

But it's usually on on my laptop where i don't play games. And on when some friend comes :)

Redenbacher
February 4th, 2008, 03:54 PM
For me, Ubuntu without Compiz-Fusion is like steak without A1. Compiz is always running, I use many of the features it offers.

Desktop cube or wall keeps my desktop organized when working or playing, AWN will take the place of any panel, widgets need a layer, wobbly windows have just become second nature (to be with out them just doesn't look natural).

Skydomes are pleasing to look at when you're rotating, expo is a feature that should never be over looked, and scaling windows makes it easy to navigate through clutter.

The rest (painting fire, etc) is for showing off to my friends!

urukrama
February 4th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I've never used Compiz, Beryl or Compiz-Fusion. :-)

I prefer the speed and flexibility Openbox and other window mangers offers. I don't need to be entertained by my window manager; it just needs to manage my windows well and doing that remain largely unnoticed.

tigerpants: Pekwm also supports tabbed windows.

snakeeyes
February 4th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I used to love Beryl, it had my favorite effect, u know how in Mac OS X when u add a new widget to the desktop it sinks into the screen forming water waves, beryl had that effect for windows right but fusion doesn't due to that wobbly windows looks lame and fusion is boring. Also beryl was way more stable in fusion my kicker panel always crashes after a few hours if I start maximizing and minimizing windows quickly. Thats why its off most of the time.

smartboyathome
February 4th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I use Compiz Fusion with Enlightenment 17 via ecomorph. It is nice to have transparencies and the fade effect (and shadows) without other programs screwing up (Firefox did when XCompMGR was enabled).

deepclutch
February 4th, 2008, 04:32 PM
compiz-fusion=Gnome,for kde,wait for kde4 :p

snakeeyes
February 4th, 2008, 04:33 PM
compiz-fusion=Gnome,for kde,wait for kde4 :p
Actually KDE 4.1, thats when the fun starts!

hyperair
February 4th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Compiz Fusion spoiled me with the scale plugin. I can never use another computer without attempting to access a window via scale again.

Bungo Pony
February 4th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I still use it and heavily rely on the transparency. It's incredibly useful when you're doing work in two windows at once. The point-and-scroll mouse control makes everything even more window-friendly.

alwiap
February 4th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I still use compiz, but I stopped using wobbly windows a while ago. I enjoy compiz mainly due to the transparency, all my drop down menus and windows are transparent. As well, I like the visual representation of the desktop cube although I use the expose setting much more frequently. The only thing that really bothers me about compiz is if I want to return to my desktop from expose (the plugin that shows all the windows from all desktops on one screen) my conky disappears. But overall compiz is great as you can spend way too much time customizing :)

hyperair
February 4th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Point and scroll is not a Compiz Fusion feature, but a feature of X windows, and hence all window managers will be able to show that faeture.

I don't rely much on the transparency but I'll admit that I use it sometimes. Anyway Metacity now has a compositing manager included (at least in Ubuntu Hardy's build).

Bungo Pony
February 4th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Point and scroll is not a Compiz Fusion feature, but a feature of X windows, and hence all window managers will be able to show that faeture.

I know, and I love it! The transparency compliments it so well.

Eddie Wilson
February 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I use Compiz-Fusion all the time. I have to turn it off for some games but not many. Tried the other so called light window managers and they are just lacking. If you want to bring somebody over to Gnome and Compiz then let them play with Kde4. That will do it.

Eddie

Scarath
February 4th, 2008, 07:01 PM
desktop fanciness (atm its compiz) is immoral, it makes people who seem it want to use it, so they get an ubuntu CD and install it on their machine, and because it doesnt work 'out of the box' they moan and cry and bitch about linux and either tell their friends (or their blog) about how 'gay' linux is because they are too dumb to get it working or just anoy us by posting yet another 'help me i cant read HowTos or use google' ... i should know we can smell our own

Seriously though Ubuntu does have this reputation around half-informed n00bs that its all about the compiz and linux has sooooooo much more to offer than wibbly windows.

Its just disheartening when u hear it sometimes and when people give up ubuntu JUST because compiz wouldnt work.

forrestcupp
February 4th, 2008, 07:07 PM
If the ATI drivers had better aiglx support, I would use Compiz all of the time. The transparency and zoom features are great.

But right now, even though ATI supposedly works with aiglx, it stinks. Videos flicker, OpenGL stuff doesn't work right, and it just slows your computer way down. With effects on, using my mouse wheel in firefox lags. But with compositing turned off, doing the same thing is snappy.

I want to use it, but I can live without until ATI gets some better drivers.

DigitalDuality
February 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM
d

aysiu
February 4th, 2008, 07:59 PM
It held about as much fascination for me as a dreidel or a matchbox car. I spun the cube, maximized and minimized a few windows with the "genie effect" and a few other effects, wobbled a few windows, and then I got bored.

Eye candy for me means using either Thinblack or IceOSX on IceWM.

corney91
February 4th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Scale is the love of my life. That and tab-complete are the reasons I run Linux:)

I found it neat but useless when i had a 1.7ghz celeron and a 128mb vid card. Even then it was clunky. Cool looking, but it didn't really do much for me.
I'm running it on a 1.4GHz Celeron M with integrated memory thingy (I dunno what the technical term is:p) and it runs well. Well enough for most of the useful plugins - not the water one or cube transparency.

SunnyRabbiera
February 4th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I still use it just for the show off factor :D

xpod
February 4th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Still using it here too but i did soon got bored with beryl when thats what i was initially using.The novelty soon wore off.
Only once i began using it again did i start to find the more useful aspects to it all.
I now only use the top left & right mouse gestures for expo & scale along with the wall rather than the cube.....on this pc.

I use a couple of the fancy animations for minamizing windows etc but with another 3 Compiz enabled machines the kids use i think theres more than enough of those flaming Windows & spinning cubes happening around here.

It`s all about the fluidity,and i`m not talking about the silly water effects:)

FuturePilot
February 4th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I still use it. I love it. :guitar:

Borbus
February 4th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I still use it. I have an emerald theme that I made and I use the desktop cube. I find the cube better than normal multiple desktops, I don't know why, it just makes more sense to me somehow. I have the cool window switchers and expo plugins running but to be honest I rarely use these.

snakeeyes
February 4th, 2008, 09:00 PM
It held about as much fascination for me as a dreidel or a matchbox car. I spun the cube, maximized and minimized a few windows with the "genie effect" and a few other effects, wobbled a few windows, and then I got bored.

Eye candy for me means using either Thinblack or IceOSX on IceWM.
do those window managers have any effect? I never used them and u said thats what eye candy is for u so I am just wondering. I don't even know what they look like.

smartboyathome
February 4th, 2008, 09:10 PM
@snakeeyes:
I would say that if you want the most eye candy at the cost for stability, then E17 is for you. Since it is a WM with everything else built in, it doesn't run compiz directly, but modules are being developed to port it over, and some effects have already started working.
I find that IceWM, on the other hand, is very stable, but doesn't have all the effects that you can get with GNOME/KDE/XFCE/recently E17. It is more stable 'n light with a bit of eye candy, than eye candy + more feature rich at the cost of stability.
This is all my opinions from my experiences though. You may like IceWM better than any other window manager, or you may hate it. It is your decision that counts. ;)

rax_m
February 4th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I like having compiz-fusion on, but unfortunately it causes serious crashes on my laptop. I find some of the visual effects nice and the desktop feels more tangible! ;)

macogw
February 4th, 2008, 09:42 PM
i still find it nice for the rotating cube, when moving windows to another desktop and whatnot. it gives a better visual idea of what's going on than the normal multiple desktop situation. i also use the zoom function, for when im sat way back at the other end of my living room or im showing my girlfriend a section of a news article or something, and she's again sat at the back of the room.

Same. I also just think the burning windows are fun. Being able to annotate (ie circle things in red) is nice too. I've been using Fluxbox for the last week though because I'm on an old comp so mine can get fixed. Fluxbox is very nice to use.

aysiu
February 4th, 2008, 09:45 PM
do those window managers have any effect? I never used them and u said thats what eye candy is for u so I am just wondering. I don't even know what they look like.
No, they don't have any effects. IceWM and other window managers tend to be pretty minimalist and just manage windows. They can look good, however.

I've attached screenshots of IceOSX (with iFox Smooth) and Thinblack (with Redshift Black).

Mr. Picklesworth
February 4th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Compiz is more efficient on my computer than Metacity is at the moment, and it has a fantastic window switcher / workspace switcher. I use it not for the bling, but for the power!

That's not to say alpha blur is a bad thing, though :)

snakeeyes
February 4th, 2008, 10:01 PM
No, they don't have any effects. IceWM and other window managers tend to be pretty minimalist and just manage windows. They can look good, however.

I've attached screenshots of IceOSX (with iFox Smooth) and Thinblack (with Redshift Black).
r there any guides for setting up e17, or any of those window managers? I may want to try them out.

aysiu
February 4th, 2008, 10:06 PM
r there any guides for setting up e17, or any of those window managers? I may want to try them out.
I made a guide to setting up IceWM:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/icewm

I don't know about guides to E17, but you can try out gOS, which uses Enlightenment and also has a few special effects enabled:
http://thinkgos.com/

urukrama
February 4th, 2008, 10:12 PM

For Openbox and Pekwm see the links in my signature.

klange
February 4th, 2008, 10:20 PM
As a C-F developer, I always have it running on my laptop. My laptop can handle everything rather nicely and there isn't a noticeable difference between a non composited and a composited desktop.

My desktop on the other hand is extremely lacking in CPU power, so forcing it to draw, refresh, etc. a non composited desktop is just asking for too much. It has a lot more graphics power with my ATI x800, much more so than my laptop, so I use C-F on it as well (and for testing some higher-end things that require faster processing)

Other than that, I feel obligated to use C-F when ever possible, and it's great for showing off.

Andrewie
February 4th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I use it with my KDE, but it's on it's way out once KDE 4.1 comes out

akiratheoni
February 4th, 2008, 10:29 PM
After I broke my Compiz-Fusion installation, I figured I'd actually use OpenBox seriously (I've had it installed but I never really used it because of Compiz-Fusion). Now, I love OpenBox. I reinstalled Compiz-Fusion after a lengthy process (why isn't there simple directions to completely remove Compiz then reinstall it??) and it turns out it's something like version 0.699... or something, it's the bleeding edge version. I dunno. But I can't set keybindings or anything on it and while the wobbly windows works, the cube doesn't... even though it says it's activated. So I'm back to OpenBox, and I love the speed of it; it takes maybe 20 seconds to log in with Compiz-Fusion/GNOME, and only two seconds with OpenBox. So I love Compiz-Fusion, but until I can find a way to reinstall the version that came with Ubuntu 7.10 without having to reinstall Ubuntu itself, I'm sticking with OpenBox.

snakeeyes
February 4th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the links, I will check them out but seriously I can't wait for kde 4.1, then it would be like stability and eye candy both at once.

Bruce M.
February 4th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I'm running a P-III 800MHz machine therfore neither Compiz, Beryl or Compiz-Fusion runs on it. I've never even see a machine with them. Nobody I know uses Linux, let alone Ubuntu.

OpenBox is a very light desktop environment, it is really great especially if you have a very old PC with low specifications.

Yup, that's me: Openbox - something I'm going to look at in the future.

jpittack
February 4th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I'm awaiting proper support from ati. Boo integrated graphics.

regomodo
February 5th, 2008, 12:17 AM
i used it for about a month whilst in edgy. Haven't used it since. Don't care for it.

Ultra Magnus
February 5th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Use compiz all the time - Once I got past the spinning the cube round all day faze I actually found it was pretty useful - expo, annotate, switch shifter and scale are all awesome and wobbly windows are nice too - I have however got rid of emerald because all the transparency was giving me a headache

DjBones
February 5th, 2008, 01:13 AM
i've been using compiz-fusion for a while..
i really like the tilers (dwm/ion) but on my laptop i guess if i'm running a dual core i might as well be using it haha

that and the movable zoom function is great, especially when reading just about anything on the computer (increasing font sizes in firefox is a very unfluid work around in my opinion atleast)

bufsabre666
February 5th, 2008, 01:17 AM
its only really on when im trying to impress people

days_of_ruin
February 5th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Its on 24/7

Arkenzor
February 5th, 2008, 01:30 AM
I always have it on, don't think I could live without scale anymore (well, I somehow manage to on *******, and it feels like I'm sitting in a wheelchair with my spine busted and only able to move my left eyelid...).

I also find smoothing display changes a bit (espially workspace switching) makes the general experience much less tiring to the eye.

Not to mention my xfce is about as fast with compiz-fusion as without. I actually think much of the sluggish feeling I got when I tried it first was basically due to a poor choice in default animations. Now that I totally changed them my desktop feels fast as hell - yet still not aggressive to the eye.

klange
February 5th, 2008, 01:36 AM
After I broke my Compiz-Fusion installation, I figured I'd actually use OpenBox seriously (I've had it installed but I never really used it because of Compiz-Fusion). Now, I love OpenBox. I reinstalled Compiz-Fusion after a lengthy process (why isn't there simple directions to completely remove Compiz then reinstall it??) and it turns out it's something like version 0.699... or something, it's the bleeding edge version. I dunno. But I can't set keybindings or anything on it and while the wobbly windows works, the cube doesn't... even though it says it's activated. So I'm back to OpenBox, and I love the speed of it; it takes maybe 20 seconds to log in with Compiz-Fusion/GNOME, and only two seconds with OpenBox. So I love Compiz-Fusion, but until I can find a way to reinstall the version that came with Ubuntu 7.10 without having to reinstall Ubuntu itself, I'm sticking with OpenBox.
The Git master version of C-F uses the "CCP" configuration backend (CompizConfig), unlike the 0.6.0 release which used GConf and other stuff. From the sound of it, you may need to reinstall CCSM from Git (not from the Ubuntu repos) and make sure that your manager script is set up for ccp. At any rate, you should ask for help if you need it. That's what the forum (http://forum.compiz-fusion.org) is for.

that and the movable zoom function is great, especially when reading just about anything on the computer (increasing font sizes in firefox is a very unfluid work around in my opinion atleast)
One of the older devs has been working on some new zoom options you may find pretty interesting: a magnifying glass and fisheye zoom. While the latter is more of an effect than a useful zooming tool, the customizable magnifying glass is a wonderful replacement for zoom/ezoom.

I've heard some people discussing CPU speed and have to say for the most part it doesn't effect C-F at all. It's all about graphics processing, and even at that the littlest bit will do (Even an old 4mb Radeon will pump out the cube with reflections a skydome). In fact, if you have a slow processor but have an even remotely good graphics chipset, a composited desktop is probably a good idea. My desktop is the perfect example: old damaged AMD Athlon XP 1500 - slow as molasses with Metacity, fast as lighting with Compiz, running off of an X800 at 60+ FPS. CPU isn't slowing it down a bit.

smartboyathome
February 5th, 2008, 01:39 AM

I would recommend using Rui's guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=546746) for setting up e17. It is my favorite version (though others like dunnewind's repos, but they are broken at the moment).

Samhain13
February 5th, 2008, 01:40 AM
My desktop effects are ON all the time. But I haven't done any more customisations in the last few months. I used to change lots of things but I guess I've come to the point where I already have a configuration that I'm comfortable with. :)

sports fan Matt
February 5th, 2008, 01:44 AM
ok..i have found if i disable or uninstall compiz fusion , my desktop shrinks and i cant resize my windows, however id like to use an alternative..can anyone help; me speed up my pc or use something without compiz fusion slowing it downn?

gn2
February 5th, 2008, 03:30 AM
I used Beryl for two days last year and got bored with it.

Never used Compiz-fusion and have no intentions to use it in the future.

raymac46
February 5th, 2008, 03:47 AM
I have a fairly new AMD X2 4600+ system with the 690G chipset and ATI X1250 IGP. To get desktop effects with Gutsy's fglrx driver I had to install XGL-server - which just slowed everything down, even with the basic effects enabled. I turned everything off, deep sixed XGL-server and went back to Metacity. Now I'm flying again.

HermanAB
February 5th, 2008, 03:59 AM
I tried it once many moons ago and played with it for a few minutes.

I think it is about as useful as a fancy screen saver - the kind of thing that runs when you are *not* using the computer...

linux5uper
February 5th, 2008, 04:06 AM
I just went back to ubuntu after buying a new laptop with vista preinstalled... all I can say is that compiz gives me a huge productivity boost, especially the scale feature and transparency controlled by scroll button. This way I can do data/image analysis in Matlab and I can look up/observe processes and numbers in the other windows without minimizing/maximizing current ones.

And most importantly, compiz makes any possibility of mac-envy less real than peter pan :)

CarpKing
February 5th, 2008, 05:41 AM
I have it on all the time. In fact, I started using Beryl almost all the time in Edgy, then the included Compiz followed by Compiz-Fusion in Feisty, and now the included Compiz-Fusion in Gutsy. I used to turn it off to watch videos, but now that has been worked around. I still turn it off when I use TV-out because I've had X die a terrible death on me a couple times when I was fiddling with Xrandr with it on.

I don't use a lot of the effects (some of them are too much for my graphics card), but I've gotten rather used to the ones I do. I find that the animations (not of the garish ones, but ones like zoom and glide) improve the appearance of my computer use significantly. The Desktop Wall gives the same idea as the workspaces with Metacity but with a nice animation to tell you that you changed desktops (instead of all the windows just disappearing). I use Emerald because I now can't stand the ugly aliased corners of Metacity themes. Shadows are another subtle touch that makes things more pleasant. I also depend on it for AWN (which I am addicted to), because that currently needs compositing.

alwiap
February 5th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Not to mention my xfce is about as fast with compiz-fusion as without. I actually think much of the sluggish feeling I got when I tried it first was basically due to a poor choice in default animations. Now that I totally changed them my desktop feels fast as hell - yet still not aggressive to the eye.

I've never thought about using xubuntu with compiz, i prefer xubuntu but have ubuntu with compiz at the moment; does everything play nicely together, and was it a pain to install? i might have to go completely xubuntu :)

hhhhhx
February 5th, 2008, 05:45 AM
i use it daily, but with very light visuals. I thinks its more something that draws people to ubuntu (linux).

kpkeerthi
February 5th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Its part of my everyday desktop. I've gotten used to scale, expo, zoom, switch without even realizing that I'm using it. I do not use any of those extra fancy effects other than the standard minimize/maximize/transparency. With my 7800 gtx, there is no overhead so I keep it running all the time.

SomeGuyDude
February 5th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Of course I use it.

When I open a program, it folds open and appears rather than just "snapping" there. When I minimize it swoops down into my dock. When I open it it "swoops" back up. When I select another window it dodges around. When I move them they act like objects.

Compiz changes the desktop from lights flickering on an LCD to objects, making my screen a window to a workspace instead of a bunch of colored pixels. That makes the experience very different indeed.

Heck I prefer Banshee over Exaile in small part because Banshee uses a CD jewel case instead of just a picture.

herbster
February 5th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Compiz is neat as hell. I dig it, but I'm a fluxbox lover, though certainly I will log in to Gnome and bust it out if friends wanna see. And it sure is fun to run a zillion things at once with it on a Q6600 :D

el_ricardo
February 5th, 2008, 10:28 AM
i love compiz fusion, its on all the time on my system, the way i see it is that if the OS is nice to look at, and fun to use, then it will make me use it more! theres also a lot of really useful plugins, like expo, window previews, edge flip on move, desktop zoom etc etc, sure the other stuff isn't functional, its eye candy, but so what! you could say that about half the stuff in vista or mac OSX!

snakeeyes
February 5th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I heard even gnome is now going to add compositing to their desktop like kde, so what effects do they have in mind?

ingvildr
February 5th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I used to have it on with all the effects i could have, but over time i disabled more and more until i just went back to metacity. A nice gtk/metacity theme is enough eyecandy for me.

tact
February 5th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Compiz Fusion spoiled me with the scale plugin. I can never use another computer without attempting to access a window via scale again.

Same here. scale and expo just make me so much more productive.

xpod
February 5th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Great when using Virtual Machines.An OS on each side of your cube(?) can be very handy if you still need those alternative OS`s that are apparently available.:)

I do still like seeing those Windows go up in flames though.:)

pt123
February 5th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I do but it sucks that there is no updated repository for Ubuntu users, before Trevino used to have one for Fesity.

This depletion of a large fan base I believe has stagnated Compiz.

RAV TUX
February 5th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I don't know about guides to E17, but you can try out gOS, which uses Enlightenment and also has a few special effects enabled:
http://thinkgos.com/...or better then gOS you can use a homegrown original from ubuntuforums.org members (Rui Pais, Tux Aubrey, RAV TUX, init1, and others...):

OzOs RC 1.0 64bit (http://cafelinux.org/OzOs/content/ozos-iso-downloads-torrents)

OzOs on LinuxTracker.org (http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=a275c71539d8228e0608528868ebb8029a3d0af4)

for more help with e17 come to the CafeLinux Forum (http://cafelinux.org/forum/index.php).

For Beryl & Compiz-Fusion I grew out of it about a year or more ago about the time I stopped using Sabayon.

e17 is my passion, it is truly the future of Linux and WM's; beauty, polish and stability without the silly effects.

I still enjoy compiz-fusion screenshots, but for practical reasons I still enjoy the minimalism and refinement of e17.

snakeeyes
February 5th, 2008, 11:26 AM
...or better then gOS you can use a homegrown original from ubuntuforums.org members (Rui Pais, Tux Aubrey, RAV TUX, init1, and others...):

OzOs RC 1.0 64bit (http://cafelinux.org/OzOs/content/ozos-iso-downloads-torrents)

OzOs on LinuxTracker.org (http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=a275c71539d8228e0608528868ebb8029a3d0af4)

for more help with e17 come to the CafeLinux Forum (http://cafelinux.org/forum/index.php).

For Beryl & Compiz-Fusion I grew out of it about a year or more ago about the time I stopped using Sabayon.

e17 is my passion, it is truly the future of Linux and WM's; beauty, polish and stability without the silly effects.

I still enjoy compiz-fusion screenshots, but for practical reasons I still enjoy the minimalism and refinement of e17.
Will there be a Hardy Heron version of this?

RAV TUX
February 5th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Will there be a Hardy Heron version of this?Yes, eventually(& a 32bit version). ;)

OzOs will be around for many years to come.

snakeeyes
February 5th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Yes, eventually(& a 32bit version). ;)

OzOs will be around for many years to come.
How long would it take though for a Hardy version?

sebbouckaert
February 5th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Last couple of weeks I really got fed up with the instability of my Gutsy install, and more specific the trouble with Firefox. For some reason, last week it came to a point where Firefox got pretty messed up, crashing on almost on every flash page it opened.

No tip, tweak or tip could help me solve this. Was I the only one to find this Firefox behaviour unacceptable, being Gutsy's main web browser?

Also, I found Ubuntu rather slow and unresponsive ( on a HP dual core 2,66 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7000 series graphical card) compared when booting Windows XP Pro on the same machine.

So last week I decided to uninstall compiz fusion, and guess what? No single Firefox crash ever since, but a swift and stable running OS without the eye candy that is. I wish I could say I didn't miss it at all, :( but naturally I prefer it this way.

hellion0
February 5th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Two of my Linux machines can't even run Compiz Fusion, but the one that can run it, I don't run it on. The effects are nice, but I find I can show off more with my Xubuntu install on my PII laptop than I can with Compiz effects. :P

snakeeyes
February 5th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Last couple of weeks I really got fed up with the instability of my Gutsy install, and more specific the trouble with Firefox. For some reason, last week it came to a point where Firefox got pretty messed up, crashing on almost on every flash page it opened.

No tip, tweak or tip could help me solve this. Was I the only one to find this Firefox behaviour unacceptable, being Gutsy's main web browser?

Also, I found Ubuntu rather slow and unresponsive ( on a HP dual core 2,66 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7000 series graphical card) compared when booting Windows XP Pro on the same machine.

So last week I decided to uninstall compiz fusion, and guess what? No single Firefox crash ever since, but a swift and stable running OS without the eye candy that is. I wish I could say I didn't miss it at all, :( but naturally I prefer it this way.
How about trying Beryl, I heard u can install it on Gutsy.

Jose Catre-Vandis
February 5th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Having fought to get CF running in Gutsy when it first released (ATI card and xgl route), I have just switched all desktop effects off. They were getting in the way. slowing things down and causing a buggy feel to the working of the desktop. Nautilus would either take forever to load or not run at all. Now I am on the bog standard desktop, and I don't miss it a bit. No-one else at home was the slightest bit interested in my eye candy :)

jayde6
February 5th, 2008, 12:45 PM
For me it was the same experience as many, started with all manner of effects enabled and now down to nearly none. I'd probably turn it off all together if I found an alternate way to disable resizing (i'm a bit ocd when it comes to window size, I hate how easy it is to accidently resize a window just by trying to move it).

forrestcupp
February 5th, 2008, 12:51 PM
As a C-F developer, I always have it running on my laptop. My laptop can handle everything rather nicely and there isn't a noticeable difference between a non composited and a composited desktop.

My desktop on the other hand is extremely lacking in CPU power, so forcing it to draw, refresh, etc. a non composited desktop is just asking for too much. It has a lot more graphics power with my ATI x800, much more so than my laptop, so I use C-F on it as well (and for testing some higher-end things that require faster processing)

You're a C-F developer and you're successfully running it well on an ATI card?

Tell us the secret. How do you do it? Xgl sucks and so does aiglx with ATI drivers.

stoodleysnow
February 5th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I :KS love Compiz Fusion
:)

snakeeyes
February 5th, 2008, 01:16 PM
The Git master version of C-F uses the "CCP" configuration backend (CompizConfig), unlike the 0.6.0 release which used GConf and other stuff. From the sound of it, you may need to reinstall CCSM from Git (not from the Ubuntu repos) and make sure that your manager script is set up for ccp. At any rate, you should ask for help if you need it. That's what the forum (http://forum.compiz-fusion.org) is for.

One of the older devs has been working on some new zoom options you may find pretty interesting: a magnifying glass and fisheye zoom. While the latter is more of an effect than a useful zooming tool, the customizable magnifying glass is a wonderful replacement for zoom/ezoom.

I've heard some people discussing CPU speed and have to say for the most part it doesn't effect C-F at all. It's all about graphics processing, and even at that the littlest bit will do (Even an old 4mb Radeon will pump out the cube with reflections a skydome). In fact, if you have a slow processor but have an even remotely good graphics chipset, a composited desktop is probably a good idea. My desktop is the perfect example: old damaged AMD Athlon XP 1500 - slow as molasses with Metacity, fast as lighting with Compiz, running off of an X800 at 60+ FPS. CPU isn't slowing it down a bit.
If u r a fusion developer, can u do me a favor? Please implement that windows sink in effect in Beryl. Remember how in Mac OS X when u add widgets they sink onto the screen causing those water wave splashes. That was my favorite effect.

klange
February 5th, 2008, 01:28 PM
You're a C-F developer and you're successfully running it well on an ATI card?

Tell us the secret. How do you do it? Xgl sucks and so does aiglx with ATI drivers.
The secret is the OSS 'radeon' drivers are wonderful, ATI's frglx stuff is horrid. That's about it...

If u r a fusion developer, can u do me a favor? Please implement that windows sink in effect in Beryl. Remember how in Mac OS X when u add widgets they sink onto the screen causing those water wave splashes. That was my favorite effect.

I wish I knew what you were talking about...

snakeeyes
February 5th, 2008, 01:31 PM
The secret is the OSS 'radeon' drivers are wonderful, ATI's frglx stuff is horrid. That's about it...

I wish I knew what you were talking about...
Remember that effect in Beryl when u would move windows around they would create water waves:

http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/items/spatial_desktop/index.php?lang=

Please watch the second video, its with Beryl and it has that effect.

snakeeyes
February 5th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Did u watch it yet?

orange2k
February 5th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Did u watch it yet?

I know exactly what youre talking about - Ive seen some videos of how it looks like on a mac, but I cant find that video anymore.

It resembles the water effect in beryl but its doesnt look quite the same, somehow its more smooth, tha water-wave doesnt have such a big radius...

snakeeyes
February 5th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I know exactly what youre talking about - Ive seen some videos of how it looks like on a mac, but I cant find that video anymore.

It resembles the water effect in beryl but its doesnt look quite the same, somehow its more smooth, tha water-wave doesnt have such a big radius...
What I don't get is why that effect was removed, that was one of the best effects I used in Beryl.

argie
February 5th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Scale. I can't do without it. Also the fades and window closing glide-out are just really nice. The greying out of dead windows is a nicer alternative to big white smudges where the window should be.

SomeGuyDude
February 5th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Scale. I can't do without it. Also the fades and window closing glide-out are just really nice. The greying out of dead windows is a nicer alternative to big white smudges where the window should be.

I never knew how to use Scale until this post (never really looked at it). Now I agree, this will be indispensable when it comes to switching between multiple windows.

While a LOT of Compiz is just eye candy, to relegate the whole thing to that is unfair. Quite a lot of is is also damn useful.

And let's not forget that it may be the best recruiting tool Linux has. Admit it, how many people here saw some video of someone showing off Beryl/Compiz and went "whoa, I gotta check that out!"?

steveneddy
February 5th, 2008, 04:39 PM
It's fun and it still runs on my lappie, but I rarely turn it on unless someone's looking.

snakeeyes
February 5th, 2008, 04:46 PM
It's fun and it still runs on my lappie, but I rarely turn it on unless someone's looking.
lol

snakeeyes
February 5th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Once gnome and kde as well already have their own 3d effects do anyone think people will bother with fusion?

Superkoop
February 5th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I use it all the time, but only the ones I find useful. Like the cube, and the trail thing. But I do have the wobbly windows on, just because I find it fun. :popcorn:

walkerk
February 5th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I use Openbox with xcompmgr... thats all I need. Compiz Fusion was nice at first...

forrestcupp
February 5th, 2008, 09:17 PM

Oh, I see. I have a Radeon HD 2600, so I'm out of luck.

I bought the thing a while back when I was back to predominantly using Windows. I almost bought a more expensive Geforce card, but decided I'd spend less money because I didn't think I'd be in Linux as much as I used to. That was a stupid move.

klange
February 5th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Remember that effect in Beryl when u would move windows around they would create water waves:

http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/items/spatial_desktop/index.php?lang=

Hmm... I think one of the more experienced devs is working on this, but I can't be sure until I ask. I know we were working on reincorporating some of the extra water effects, I don't remember if this was one on the list...

It's not so much that it was removed as it didn't make the crossover. Nothing was removed in that sense, things from Beryl were ported, some just didn't make it and are being worked on (one thing in particular worth mentioning is "sticky windows stick to screen")

snakeeyes
February 5th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Hmm... I think one of the more experienced devs is working on this, but I can't be sure until I ask. I know we were working on reincorporating some of the extra water effects, I don't remember if this was one on the list...
Can u check it out please? This one was the best.

Aquaman420
February 5th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I use Compiz everyday. I think it is amazing.

Originally Posted by snakeeyes View Post

http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/item...ndex.php?lang=

The window wave is back in compiz fusion, just not in the release in the ubuntu repos.

klange
February 5th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Can u check it out please? This one was the best.
Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure someone was working on it. I'll check to be sure...

snakeeyes
February 5th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure someone was working on it. I'll check to be sure...
Thanks!

snakeeyes
February 5th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I use Compiz everyday. I think it is amazing.

The window wave is back in compiz fusion, just not in the release in the ubuntu repos.
I am not on Ubuntu nowadays, I am on OpenSUSE 10.3.

santiagoward2000
February 5th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I've been using CF all the time since it came out, and I haven't got bored yet! :KS

sub2007
February 5th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I do use it still. Once the initial excitement of it wears off it doesn't seem quite as fun but it's still very useful, I've streamlined it down to just features I use (replaced the rotating cube for Desktop Wall for example). I find expo and scale are really useful and actually increase productivity. Wobbly windows, animations (paper planes and flame effects) and Flip 3D are nice effects. Plus I use AWN and as I like the Compiz effects I might as well use that as my compositing window manager.

It's just kind of annoying having to disable it to do anything full screen really but maybe that's because the open source ATI driver isn't amazing...

sloggerkhan
February 5th, 2008, 10:57 PM
It's only a toy for me. My computer can't work it with 2 1680x1050 monitors so I only use it to demo things in mirror mode. That said, I really do like having the expose style effects. Most of the rest of it is kinda more bling than needed.

Charcoal1981
February 5th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Scale and expo are worth the performance reduction. The rest I can live without...
I used to have an issue running compiz in dapper but since feisty things have been smooth :)

karuzo
February 5th, 2008, 11:39 PM
I tried linux a while back and reverted back to windows. When vista came out, I found on youtube a compiz-fusion and vista features side by side. It was then I decided to move to linux (first sabayon then ubuntu). I love the bells and whistles although I don;t find a real practical use of it.

snakeeyes
February 5th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I tried linux a while back and reverted back to windows. When vista came out, I found on youtube a compiz-fusion and vista features side by side. It was then I decided to move to linux (first sabayon then ubuntu). I love the bells and whistles although I don;t find a real practical use of it.
Why did u move from Sabayon to Ubuntu?

cybergalvez
February 6th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Could not live without it! I love the eyecandy

karuzo
February 6th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Why did u move from Sabayon to Ubuntu?

Well - I found that the distro did not detect everything perfectly on my laptop. I didn't mind to research a bit online how to resolve my problems, but as a parent to 3 coming back home at sometimes 7:00PM this was hard to to. you can imagine the frustration I had when the volume button did not work! (just on example)
In ubuntu I have no problem with the volume. Further more - Ubuntu recognized my laptop
s built-in volume buttons and even indicate volume increase/decrease/mute graphically in the middle of the screen.
Another reason I switched to Ubuntu was that I figured this distro is quite simple to use as a new linux user such as myself.
Sabayon also crashed on me too many times, too often (at least the release I had installed).
Links in evolution e-mails did not activate a web browser although I set it properly.
I can probably go on and on.... but I think you got the idea.
Sincerely,
Doron

toupeiro
February 6th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Used everyday. One of the best desktop enhancements I've ever seen for aesthetics meets functionality. I will admit though that at some point, with no changes to the number of options enabled, it got a little bloated memory wise. Luckily for us, Linux OSes do infinitely superior memory management in comparison to Windows.

of_darkness
February 6th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Well i shall try 2 run cf some more when i have moved my 32bits install to a 64bits install of kubuntu..

Cause i am making my mashine a real system using hog by my habits:P And when running cf i get hardlocks or x crashes or even reboots..

if not it wore 4 that i would be using cf...

Whiffle
February 6th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I open it every once in a while, just for kicks. I've been playing with an exploring AwesomeWM all week and I find that way more interesting (and my mouse is starting to feel left out)

snakeeyes
February 6th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I open it every once in a while, just for kicks. I've been playing with an exploring AwesomeWM all week and I find that way more interesting (and my mouse is starting to feel left out)
Why do u find AwesomeWM more interesting than compiz?

Whiffle
February 6th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Compiz is just effects, animations that play, stuff like that. It only makes it look pretty, slows down my computer and doesn't help me do things better.

Awesome, on the other hand, seems to be a blast to use. Not only is it a completely different way of organizing/managing a desktop (at least in comparision with the gnome/kde/windows/macosx way), its quite customizable.

In short, I find awesome more interesting than compiz because I like to tinker. I can adjust all kinds of things. Compiz doesn't have much tinkering beyond switching out animations for others and changing backgrounds, which doesn't really hold my attention.

snakeeyes
February 6th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Compiz is just effects, animations that play, stuff like that. It only makes it look pretty, slows down my computer and doesn't help me do things better.

Awesome, on the other hand, seems to be a blast to use. Not only is it a completely different way of organizing/managing a desktop (at least in comparision with the gnome/kde/windows/macosx way), its quite customizable.

In short, I find awesome more interesting than compiz because I like to tinker. I can adjust all kinds of things. Compiz doesn't have much tinkering beyond switching out animations for others and changing backgrounds, which doesn't really hold my attention.
Yeah but how is it different in organising or managing a desktop?

NIT006.5
February 6th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Compiz-fusion runs 24/7.

While I know I could live without it, it most certainly makes my life a whole lot easier at work. On a bad day, when I'm dealing with any number of different problems at the same time and have sometimes 30+ windows open, having multiple desktops easily rotating on the cube really helps me to stay a little more organised. As do the expo and scale windows plugins when I flick the mouse to the relevant screen corner. It definitely speeds up my work and therefore my level of efficiency in the work place. But that's just me.

Haven't tried any of the others besides the "defaults" and Beryl (back on 7.04) so maybe there's something else out there. But I'm definitely happy with compiz-fusion.

RAV TUX
February 6th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Compiz-Fusion is as useful as the Spacetime Browser. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=662161)

BobCFC
February 6th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I just figured out on Hardy that you can enable drop shadows just using Metacity... There is an option in gconf to enable compositing

Drop shadows are the only thing that I can't live without.

snakeeyes
February 6th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I just figured out on Hardy that you can enable drop shadows just using Metacity... There is an option in gconf to enable compositing

Drop shadows are the only thing that I can't live without.
so that means there is compositing by default?

Hells_Dark
February 6th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I do.
I use it everyday, and i love it.
Nothing to add.

qazwsx
February 6th, 2008, 12:48 PM
KDE + Compiz fusion = complete mess

It may be usable but then I have to switch between Kwin Compiz fusion to get all the functionality. It just makes no sense. KWin's configurability in KDE 3.5 is pretty good.

I am just waiting for usable KDE 4.1 and new Kwin features.

snakeeyes
February 6th, 2008, 01:03 PM
KDE + Compiz fusion = complete mess

It may be usable but then I have to switch between Kwin Compiz fusion to get all the functionality. It just makes no sense. KWin's configurability in KDE 3.5 is pretty good.

I am just waiting for usable KDE 4.1 and new Kwin features.
Same here!

imT
February 6th, 2008, 01:30 PM
i actually perform various activities on my machine not just media and browsing so extra effects are not practical 4 me.

snakeeyes
February 6th, 2008, 01:44 PM
You know what would be really cool, if all the compiz fusion effects became part of the kde and gnome desktop. I know kde 4 has its effects but compiz fusion's r way cooler.

I don't know if this is true but will kde 4 will also have something similar to wobbly windows called drunken windows?

Biggus
February 8th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Just used it a couple of hours ago to convert three moar dudez to ubuntu.

One of the more technically minded ones was quite stunned to see a transparent spinning cube running on a PC with half a gig of ram using an onboard graphics chip, after having been told that certain other operating systems had much higher requirements for doing a whole lot less.

SomeGuyDude
February 8th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Compiz-fusion runs 24/7.

While I know I could live without it, it most certainly makes my life a whole lot easier at work. On a bad day, when I'm dealing with any number of different problems at the same time and have sometimes 30+ windows open, having multiple desktops easily rotating on the cube really helps me to stay a little more organised. As do the expo and scale windows plugins when I flick the mouse to the relevant screen corner. It definitely speeds up my work and therefore my level of efficiency in the work place. But that's just me.

Haven't tried any of the others besides the "defaults" and Beryl (back on 7.04) so maybe there's something else out there. But I'm definitely happy with compiz-fusion.

Exactly. By making things "objects" instead of pictures, it makes organization a hell of a lot easier. Not to mention scale is one of the most useful things EVER.

snakeeyes
February 8th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Hey is someone working on that effect?

Paqman
February 8th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I definitely use it. I've got used to the desktop being a bit more dynamic. I find machines without it a bit boring to use, tbh.

I never used to use multiple workspaces before, but the cube gives them a more tactile feel (instead of just being an abstract idea) and i've found myself using them to keep organised when i've several things on the go.

I didn't use to think it had any practical value, and was for fun, but i'm inclined to think that the added visual clues actually provide a usability bonus.

Assuming you've set up sensible effects, that is. A lot of the options are just for show.

vishzilla
February 8th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I use it to show off whenever my friends come home :P