PDA

View Full Version : Flash plugin woes

igknighted
February 4th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Ok, flash is a proprietary plugin that winds up crashing a lot... nothing we can do about that. Why, though, does it bring firefox down with it every time? It's just a plugin... it shouldn't be able to bring everything down. In other browsers it doesn't. I get the same bug-report window opening in Konqueror and Opera, but they stay open and don't affect my browsing session, while firefox crashes out completely.

And why does every website need some worthless flash movie in some corner to cause these crashes?

mips
February 4th, 2008, 03:26 PM
There is an issue with Konq & Flash and I do not know if has been resolved yet but my workaround was this:
http://mikearthur.co.uk/?p=171

I have no crashes on Arch+Konq. Maybe this can be applied to other browsers as well.

igknighted
February 4th, 2008, 04:00 PM
There is an issue with Konq & Flash and I do not know if has been resolved yet but my workaround was this:
http://mikearthur.co.uk/?p=171

I have no crashes on Arch+Konq. Maybe this can be applied to other browsers as well.

Oh, konq and flash are great. There was indeed an issue, but it has been fixed upstream. Opera and flash are fine too (well... flash crashes often, but the browsers don't ever crash, and reloading the page resolves the issue). In firefox, when flash crashes, the whole browser crashes, that is my gripe.

ice60
February 4th, 2008, 04:25 PM
i have loads of probelms with flash too, i use opera. but, i do have the latest version of firefox (i'm using suse - SUSE/2.0.0.11-3.1 Firefox/2.0.0.11) working perfectly with flash. have you tried compiling firefox from source if you're using an ubuntu firefox?

p_quarles
February 4th, 2008, 05:58 PM
have you tried compiling firefox from source if you're using an ubuntu firefox?
+1 on that idea.

I haven't compiled from source, actually, but I found that a lot of stability issues with Firefox went away when I switched to Swiftweasel (which is compiled more specifically for different CPUs). I've heard of others having no improvement with the same, but it's worth a try at least.

rowanparker
February 4th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Check out: Flashblock (addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/433)

CJ56
February 4th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Have you tried Seamonkey? Silly name, but quick & stable & no Flash problems (that I've noticed) yet....