PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody seen my Gusty disk???

TorqueyPete
February 3rd, 2008, 10:55 PM
Dammit! :(
I always seem to loose any system disks I ever had! Ironically, it's part of the reason that I'm now enjoying Linux for the second time. 8-)

Being a bit of a computing numpty, I didn't get on so well with a handful of Mandrake 9.2 disks that a car forum buddy mailed to me about 3 yrs ago. I installed it in a new PC bought from an ebay seller's shop. But ended up with an ebay xp disk after about 3 months, as I mostly surf and email and mooch around a few forums. I also like to mess around with my digital photos. So xp is simple enough for that, and so am I.
I've lost 2 xp disks and my old 98se disk over the last 3 yrs, and just today I realised that I could do with having the 98se disk handy so I could run a Scalextric track designer that I have from years ago. Doh! ](*,)

I'm slowly trying to sort Gutsy so I can view Youtube (thanx to Nathan's (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=661833&highlight=flash+media) thread), and thought I'd try the 'Envy download for some ATI graphics card drivers' (http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html)
But the installation needs my Gutsy disk, AND I CAN'T FIND IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

I hope one of you lot hasn't hidden it for a joke.
I just might have to, you know, poach your omelette! http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/chashugh/frying-smile.gif

ubuntu-freak
February 4th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Hmm...kinda wierd finding a thread here mentioning my how-to. You shouldn't need the install disc. You didn't follow my how-to fully? In part 3 it tells you how to stop Ubuntu asking for the install disc.

Nathan

bufsabre666
February 4th, 2008, 12:28 AM
system--->software source

deselect the box next to the gutsy cd

try again

ubuntu-freak
February 4th, 2008, 01:01 AM
system--->software source

deselect the box next to the gutsy cd

try again

Didn't see my post?

steveneddy
February 4th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Didn't see my post?

Which one again?

TorqueyPete
February 4th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Wellllll, I may have missed that bit, but that's not the point!! I've lost my disk and want it back!

Okys, I'll go through the how to again. Hey, I'm a beginner, messing up is my job.

Also, dang it, I can't edit this thread title to correct my spelling of Gutsy. :-k

Lostincyberspace
February 4th, 2008, 01:35 AM
BURP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry! I ate it.

euler_fan
February 4th, 2008, 01:43 AM
No.

Seriously though, good luck.

aaaantoine
February 4th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Also, dang it, I can't edit this thread title to correct my spelling of Gutsy. :-k

Let me know when you find your Ubuntoon Gusty Gibson disc.

:D

gn2
February 4th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Ask Shipit nicely and they'll mail you a shiny new one.

ubuntu-freak
February 4th, 2008, 02:44 AM

HA!! Ubuntoon is real! I renamed my icon set (GNUtoon) for Ubuntu to Ubuntoon (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/GNUtoon?content=70206). Edubuntu want to use it and requested I rename it.

Nathan

xpod
February 4th, 2008, 02:49 AM
I`m sure i could send you one down to Exeter if someone has eaten your original.
It only takes me 5 mins to DL and i have far too many blank disks anyway.
Everytime my better half goes out she comes in with yet another spindle it seems:???:

Place your orders @ shipit for 6 week delivery or @ xpod ......if your really desperate for 48 delivery

@Lostincyberspace
You might have managed a 700Mb CD ok but i bet you could`nt do a 4.7G dvd in one sitting:wink:

Lostincyberspace
February 4th, 2008, 05:42 AM
I`m sure i could send you one down to Exeter if someone has eaten your original.
Everytime my better half goes out she comes in with yet another spindle it seems:???:

Place your orders @ shipit for 6 week delivery or @ xpod ......if your really desperate for 48 delivery

@Lostincyberspace
You might have managed a 700Mb CD ok but i bet you could`nt do a 4.7G dvd in one sitting:wink:
Wanna bet!

xpod
February 4th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Wanna bet!

100 beans??
1000 if you can swallow it whole.....

You`ll be gagging for a Coffee me thinks:wink:

TorqueyPete
February 4th, 2008, 10:43 AM
BURP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry! I ate it.

With relish I hope! :)

TorqueyPete
February 4th, 2008, 10:46 AM

Hat to meintoin, but yur slepping is warez then mein.

TorqueyPete
February 4th, 2008, 11:01 AM

Thanks for the offer matey, I'll PM you my addy if that's oky with you?

I have several older PCs here that came free from a clearance of some old council offices or something. So they may be raised from the grave on a cloud of Linux! A friend got the job, but we just had one Luton van. Several trips later we had so much wobbly furniture and ancient hardware that it either got burnt or taken to the recycling compound. It was raining heavily and we had just 6 hours, so lots of the electrical stuff was totally soaked.

TorqueyPete
February 4th, 2008, 11:03 AM
100 beans??
1000 if you can swallow it whole.....

You`ll be gagging for a Coffee me thinks:wink:

I'll bet he uploads it again within a minute !!

TorqueyPete
February 4th, 2008, 11:09 AM
HA!! Ubuntoon is real! I renamed my icon set (GNUtoon) for Ubuntu to Ubuntoon (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/GNUtoon?content=70206). Edubuntu want to use it and requested I rename it.

Nathan

I like it.

By the by Nathan, I didn't go as far as the 'Encrypted DVD Playback' section, as I don't play DVDs on my PC. So that's why I missed that bit. ;)

ubuntu-freak
February 4th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I like it.

By the by Nathan, I didn't go as far as the 'Encrypted DVD Playback' section, as I don't play DVDs on my PC. So that's why I missed that bit. ;)

Ah okay. I guess I can forgive that. ;-)

Nathan

Bruce M.
February 4th, 2008, 11:11 PM

Next time, have her drop by my place first OK?
I wonder if that was the CD I saw rolling down Avda. Roosevelt the other day? I gave up chasing it when a bus ran over it!

@Lostincyberspace

Wanna bet!

Salt & pepper with a little HP Sauce and Lostincyberspace'll eat anything! :lolflag: