PDA

View Full Version : Happy UBirthday to Me!!!

whitefort
February 3rd, 2008, 10:16 PM
Maybe a self-indulgent post, but I just wanted to mark the fact that I've now been using Ubuntu for one full year.

Before that, in the past ten years or so, I tried Linux many times. My longest previous Linux experience lasted about a month, max, before I got fed up with stuff not working and went back to Windows.

Now I have Ubuntu on 4 machines, and love it. I retain 1 XP machine because of a couple of Windows programs I need that don't work properly under WINE (does anything?)

But 95% of my computing is on Ubuntu, and maybe another 1% on Puppy Linux which I keep on a bootable keyring-drive.

My relationship to Windows is like that of a schoolboy to a girlie magazine under his bed. I may... uh, USE it from time to time, but I'm certainly not proud of it! Ubuntu is the operating system you would take home to meet your Mother!

Anyway, here goes year 2 of my GNU/Linux experience. Still LOTS to learn, but still havin' fun!

Happy UBirthday to me!

oldb0y
February 3rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
Congrats!

xpod
February 3rd, 2008, 10:53 PM
Happy UBD:)

It will be 2 years in July since i myself first stumbled across Ubuntu and of course i`ve used it exclusively as my main OS since loading up that first live cd,withXFCE being flavor of the month/s at the moment.
Saying that,it wll also only be only 2 years in March since i first sat down in front of any modern day computer so i never really had tooo many previous years.....months of Windows,clouding my better judgement :).

I`d only just figured out the difference between a DLL and an LOL in Windows and "Ubuntu/Linux" meant absolutely nothing to me whatsoever.
Because of this i had no preconceived ideas about Linux one way or another.

That in itself has been quite an advantage in many ways.

Anyway.....................................enjoy:p opcorn:

hhhhhx
February 3rd, 2008, 11:42 PM
congrats !!:)

Daveski
February 4th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Happy Birthday. Glad you are enjoying Linux now.

I retain 1 XP machine because of a couple of Windows programs I need that don't work properly under WINE (does anything?)

Some things do work - and it is amazing that anyone can reverse-engineer a proprietory API like the Win32 API at all. Which applications are you using?