PDA

View Full Version : extensions on startup I have NO idea what I am doing

Ripfox
February 3rd, 2008, 08:42 PM
Ok, so I have an old imac with (well had) os 8.9 on it when I got it. I tried to install os x on it but it said I needed to upgrade the firmware. So, I installed 9.2 on it but when i restarted it, it said After Dark 4.0 was a conflict or something. It said to start up holding shift to disable extensions. That worked but apparently it also disables the DVD player driver, so I cannot load a cd with the firmware upgrade file on it! I tried a usb flash drive as well, no go. So, what do I do? I have NO idea how to remove a specific extension, and when i look into the system folder I see no "After Dark" thing in the extension folder...

HELP?

AlphaMack
February 6th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Use the Extensions Manager control panel to enable/disable extensions. Disable what you think could be giving you problems, but do so one extension at a time.

Ripfox
February 6th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I wound up finding an os 9 cd that would boot, erasing the drive and installing os 9, then updating manually till I hit 9.2, THEN updating the firmware (had to use an external monitor for much of this process) then booting to the os x cd, wipe drive again, then installing os x.

Whew.

Now I am trying to figure out how to switch the refresh rate at 1024x768 down from 75hz...the built-in config tool won't let me do it and it's flickery and shaky. 800x600 looks fine, but it cuts off the sides and top and bottom :(