PDA

View Full Version : KDE: Konqueror vs. Firefox - your take?

twoseids
September 24th, 2005, 01:34 AM
I just moved over to KDE after my first few months in Ubuntu using only Gnome. Brand new to Linux. Anyway, it seems that the default browser is Konqueror. In a way, it seems kinda nice, what with all the shortcuts you can type, the fact that it integrates the file browser with the web browser. But Firefox just has so many cool extensions and features too.

I'm wondering - what do most of you KDE users use?

mlomker
September 24th, 2005, 02:07 AM
I'm wondering - what do most of you KDE users use?

Firefox, Synaptic, and Gaim are the best of their breed, just like amaroK is hands-down the best of its kind.

drizek
September 24th, 2005, 02:47 AM
Konqueror has been better(IMO) since KDE 3.4. i am using the 3.5 beta and it is even better now because it also has adblock included. To me, adblock and tabbed browsing were the only two firefox extensions that i would use, so konqueror is more than capable of replacing it. It is faster, more stable and it has MUCH better integration into KDE. I used to be a huge ffox fan when i used windows, but i was disapointed with firefox on linux.

mlomker
September 24th, 2005, 02:51 AM
but i was disapointed with firefox on linux.

I have to admit that I have weird DNS-related problems with Firefox that I don't see with Konqueror, Now and then it'll just decide that it's going to stop going to web pages and I'll have to close it. I just couldn't give up the ad blocking and some of the custom tab behavior. If they'd just rewrite it to use firefox extensions.... :grin:

nrwilk
September 24th, 2005, 06:54 AM
I'm a Firefox guy. Konqueror makes me really mad. I wish I could find some way to replace it. Though, I'm so new to this that there may be a very easy way to replace it, and I wouldn't know where to look.

twoseids
September 24th, 2005, 07:04 AM
I'm a Firefox guy. Konqueror makes me really mad. I wish I could find some way to replace it. Though, I'm so new to this that there may be a very easy way to replace it, and I wouldn't know where to look.
What about Konqueror makes you mad?

nrwilk
September 24th, 2005, 07:13 AM
What about Konqueror makes you mad?

Well, it seems pretty bloated to me. I've never liked built-in browsers, either. I wish I could permanently get rid of the side bar, which takes up space and is useless to me. Also, I have the checkbox checked to make folders open in seperate windows, but it ignores this and always opens folders in a new tab, which I then have to select. Then after browsing through directories, I have to close lots of tabs. It's getting really annoying. I may not have explored it's options enough yet, and it may be very powerful but it just seems that I'll never use most of it.

I could be completely wrong about it, though. As I said, I am new.
8-[

f1dave
September 24th, 2005, 07:31 AM
press F9 to get rid of that sidebar.

aysiu
September 24th, 2005, 07:37 AM
I have a very practical reason for not using Konqueror as a browser. Its settings include file associations, and my associated application for HTML files is Kate, so every time I try to click on a webpage, I'm asked whether I want to save the file, open it with Kate, or cancel. I can't browse websites that way.

Firefox.

drizek
September 24th, 2005, 08:21 AM
konqueror has a cool feature called profiles. once you customize the toolbars and everything the way you like it, go to settings- save view profile(if its greyed out, click "configure view profiles" instead). this saves your settings so the next time you open it, it will look the way you have it set up. that means you can get rid of the sidebar or w/e you want to do.

just uncheck the open folders in new window option, that should fix the problem if i understand it correctly.

@mlomker, konqueror 3.5 will have adblock built in. also there is a project for konqueror to allow it to use ported(or possibly even native) firefox extensions. in addition to this, they are also working on creating a gecko kpart for it, so you can choose whether you want to browse using either the gecko engine or the khtml engine.

DirtDawg
September 24th, 2005, 09:01 AM
I really like the fact you can split the Konqueror window into multiple windows, but I use Firefox (no KDE).

Vulpus
September 24th, 2005, 09:24 AM
When I was a Mandrake user I tended to use mainly Konqueror for browsing as i quite like integrated browsers. However, I cannot say I miss it since moving to Ubuntu. Firefox is adequate for my needs but I am thinking of giving Opera a try.

GeneralZod
September 24th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Konqueror is my absolute favourite File-Manager-And-Swiss-Army-Knife, but I've always just preferred Firefox as a webbrowser. If kfirefox is ever completed, I'll be in heaven :)

Firetech
September 24th, 2005, 11:23 AM
<off topic>

/.../my associated application for HTML files is Kate, so every time I try to click on a webpage, I'm asked whether I want to save the file, open it with Kate, or cancel/.../
You could try to fix that by selecting to use "konqueror" as the main browser in kcontrol > KDE components > Component chooser (might be other words, my KDE isn't English...).
Select "In the following web browser" and type "konqueror" in the box. I'm not sure, but I think that can help.
</off topic>

My main choice of browser is Konqueror, but I have Firefox and Opera (even IE via CrossOver Office) as backups for strange websites...

1. Konqueror
2. Opera (Because it's Qt, and now free too :D)
3. Firefox
10. IE

And no, there's no place 4-9 :P

treris
September 24th, 2005, 02:05 PM
I hardly ever use konqueror, for webbrowsing I have been using firefox for about a year now and have gotten so used to it, that even Opera (which I really like as well) can replace it,
and for browsing my computer I use Krusader, which kind is kindalike total commander (windows) and which it just like because of its simplicity and usability

just my 2p

odrop
September 24th, 2005, 04:55 PM
I used to use firefox exclusively before I started to take a serious look at konqueror. For me, firefox lacks a few things that konqueror has, mainly:

1: A much better Save/Load dialog, I detest the gtk version of this. (maybe its gotten better, I havent looked in so long)
2: System integration, I usually detested this, but konqueror and the KDE guys have done a great job integrating things in a smart way.
3: It's Qt in a Qt world, I dislike using gtk apps a lot in KDE (they still look and feel kind of wrong/different), even though you can fudge it some with the gtk-to-kde thing.
4:When working with saving files from the net or any other mix of file management konqueror does it seemlessly, while when I'm using firefox, I have to switch around a lot, etc.

There's a few things konqueror could improve on:
1: Better plugins, like adblock and some others, and I'm thrilled they're finally getting it.

I guess I only have one grievance, and thats already taken care of :wink:

GeneralZod
September 24th, 2005, 05:03 PM
1: A much better Save/Load dialog, I detest the gtk version of this. (maybe its gotten better, I havent looked in so long)
2: System integration, I usually detested this, but konqueror and the KDE guys have done a great job integrating things in a smart way.
3: It's Qt in a Qt world, I dislike using gtk apps a lot in KDE (they still look and feel kind of wrong/different), even though you can fudge it some with the gtk-to-kde thing.
4:When working with saving files from the net or any other mix of file management konqueror does it seemlessly, while when I'm using firefox, I have to switch around a lot, etc.

Oddly enough, these are exactly the flaws that kfirefox aims to fix. Can't wait for it to be finished!

Edit:

And yes, the GTK File Dialogue is still horrible (in my opinion, at least).

xequence
September 24th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Opera :)

aysiu
September 24th, 2005, 05:19 PM
You could try to fix that by selecting to use "konqueror" as the main browser in kcontrol > KDE components > Component chooser (might be other words, my KDE isn't English...).
Select "In the following web browser" and type "konqueror" in the box. I'm not sure, but I think that can help. I don't have anything like that. Since I upgraded to Breezy, the control center is totally different.

Matchless
September 24th, 2005, 06:19 PM
I expect to be flamed on this airing of my view!
I use Firefox as well as Thunderbird on my Kubuntu and XP PC's, its easy to use and anyone using any of the PC's regardless of the OS can immediately find their way. I find the linux file root and user permissions a real pain in the .... and use Krusader in root mode. Firefox has some excellent extentions such as Translate, Flashgot, Adblock, Forecastfox and IE view.
On a new Kubuntu installation the first thing I do is install Synaptic, then Krusader, Firefox and thunderbird.
First of all KDE is my preference and I do not like Gnome, although I have Gnome, KDE and XFCE installed together and can switch between them. Kubuntu has a much better menu than KDE and looks nicer to the eye.
Kubuntu Hoary suffers from lack of "Dial up modem" interest, KPPP does not work, and there are no modem lights or similar. Synaptic should be part of Kubuntu, same as in Ubuntu, in place of Kynaptic which can hardly do anything.
They say, a product's success is determined by the user's interest, even if the designer spent a lifetime building a perfect item and it is not user friendly or does not attract the user, it could be a forgotten effort.
Thats my view!
Regards
Matchless

Mishura
September 24th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Konquerer on KDE 3.5 is pretty good. Adblock makes it highly desirable as a Web browser.

However, there have been some problems, such as, sometimes images won't load. For instance, this site here: All those little graphics in the Edit Form box, which I am typing in now, only half will show up. A "reload" sometimes fixes this.

As well, animated gifs sometimes don't animate. This may be a "blessing" for the more annoying animated gifs, but was rather annoying in some other cases.

If both Konqueror and Firefox annoy you, try Opera. I'm starting to really like that browser, now that its free and stuff. Opera is built using Qt, and there is a command line switch that allows Opera to use your KDE theme, so I got it using Lipstik, and it mimics the look and feel of another KDE app well. Just not the File dialogs, which use Qt's and not KDE's.

My beef with firefox was its speed. I recently reinstalled the latest stable using autopackage, instead of the mozilla.org installer, and it does feel faster now. I've also cut down on some of the more useless extensions, and that helped too.

aysiu
September 24th, 2005, 11:31 PM
My beef with firefox was its speed. I recently reinstalled the latest stable using autopackage, instead of the mozilla.org installer, and it does feel faster now. I've also cut down on some of the more useless extensions, and that helped too. You can also try these tips (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1299854/posts)

dc2447
September 25th, 2005, 02:52 PM
The only reason that I don't use Konq for web browsing is that it doesn't cope very well with poorly written HTML, something that I do a lot of :(

Oh and I can't see how to set a minimum font size - but I'm sure that is possible.

I do love it for file browsing - especially remote file systems over ssh/smb and removeable storage.

palsyboy
September 26th, 2005, 09:33 PM
I respect many of Konqueror's features, such as the aforementioned keyboard shortcuts. There's nothing wrong with it as a web browser. I just prefer Firefox because:

1. Gmail isn't yet fully supported by Konqueror.
2. Konqueror doesn't have the Adblock, CustomizeGoogle, GooglePreview, FoxyTunes, Remove It Permanently, and DownTHEMall! extensions that I practically require to use the Internet without screaming.

Unfortunately, these are somewhat akin to saying I'm going back to Windows (never!) because Macromedia Flash works better there; I can see the weaknesses of my preferences. It's the aftermarket support argument: I'm buying a somewhat lesser car that I can build up to be better than its better base competitors through better aftermarket support.

As for Konqueror as a file browser, I dislike it with intensity. I want it to remember that certain directories should always be viewed as icon previews, and others should always be viewed as lists. And don't get me started on inconsistent previewing in the first place.

I'm not too keen on Nautilus, but I'd rather use it for consistency's sake. Unfortunately, I can't find a way to use it without the rest of the GNOME settings kicking in.

GameManK
September 27th, 2005, 03:19 AM
I use opera for web browsing.

I think konqueror is a great application for everything it does (well... I only use it for file browsing), though i agree with palsyboy that there are certain features that need to be worked out like placement of icons.

I don't know if it's been fixed, but before when I tried konqueror on slower machines it did feel bloated and slow. It also didn't support gmail. Stability has improved since kde 3.4.0. As a file browser, konqueror really has all the features of windows explorer but i think a lot are done better. I just hope they don't bloat it too much. (for example, i actually like the built-in make image gallery feature, but i don't think it belongs there)

Firefox just seems less.. modern. Opera has great skins, a good built in email client (I haven't used any others other than outlook express, so I can't really compare), and mouse gestures among other features that make it a nice experience.

Ubunted
September 27th, 2005, 05:58 AM
I am too far down my Firefox hole to ever switch to anything else at this point.

getaceres
September 27th, 2005, 11:24 AM
I use firefox for browsing because:
1. Konqueror doesn't support Gmail.
2. Konqueror tends to open files instead of asking what to do with them. Today, I was trying to download a skz file (karamba theme) and it tried to open it in Kate every time I pushed the link. The same happens sometimes with rar files.
3. Some other pages and forums I visit doesn't work with Konqueror.

I use Konqueror only to download big files because of its integration with kget.

PatrickMay16
September 27th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Personally I'm not keen on KDE because I hate the fact that it has an integrated web browser. I hate the fact that internet explorer is integrated with Windows, and to have something similar going on in the alternative... That's NO GOOD. (http://sonicsez.ytmnd.com/)

So, I'm happier using Gnome.

Segovia
October 10th, 2005, 07:57 AM
I never liked Firefox in Windows. It's the slowest browser you can get for that platform. Feels like I'm web surfing in mud. I don't find it to be much better in GNU/Linux (gnome or kde) either.

I've been using Konq for about a year now and very happy with it for the most part. However, I have seen more than a few sites that do not render properly in Konq, and yet Firefox displays them properly.

Patrick: Konqueror's duel duty as a file manager and web browser does not pose the same security risks as IE's integration with Windows.

GeneralZod
October 10th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Patrick: Konqueror's duel duty as a file manager and web browser does not pose the same security risks as IE's integration with Windows.

Indeed. I'd go further and say that this kind of integration, when Done Right as is the case with KDE, is a very useful and beneficial thing.

cowlip
October 10th, 2005, 04:38 PM
I have to admit, I'm an opera lover too, it has more features (mouse gestures, also in firefox) and the preferences panel is so much better. Konqueror is very unwieldy, like the history sidebar that's present in every other browser in a normal form ...it's very strange in konqueror. The profiles thing just does not make sense to me. And middle click (I rely on it) sucks, it pastes, you need a hidden setting to middle clcik-close a tab, etc.

All I can say is thank god for nautilus ;)

philipacamaniac
October 10th, 2005, 04:44 PM
This is what I'm looking for: an alternative KDE browser. I found one at KDE-apps called Tavia, but it was horrid (which is to be expected from any app where the version is 0.2.5). However, it was blazing fast (much faster than anything I'd ever seen before - including Konq) at opening web pages.

I actually really like Konqueror as a filemanager, and all-around main tool within KDE. But, I'm very particular about my web browsing experience. My ideal web browser would have full KDE integration (save/open dialogues, print dialogues). It would use the bookmarks.xml file like every other KDE app, it would even optionally use Konqueror tools (but they would be disabled by default). When a right click a page, it wouldn't give me all the Konqueror filemanager options, like all those bloated servicemenus. Right clicking would instead bring up most options that usually appear on "Edit" menus (copy, paste, etc.). The History would be stored in the Konqueror history format, but the Sidebar would be reworked to only have History, and not all those other KDE options, available.

Basically I'm looking for a lean, mean, KHTML-browsing machine. Something that may look a lot like Firefox, but is clearly a KDE app. It would have a simple default look, without any plugins or tools or extensions. But one could easily add Konqueror/Netscape media plugins, Firefox extensions, and switch the HTML rendering engine. That way I can switch between Gecko and KHTML (and MSHTML through WINE - JUST KIDDING!!). Other than webpages, it would automatically display only appropriate files on the web using Kparts (for PDF, JPG, PNG, etc). Other files (TXT, TAR.GZ, etc) would open in the default KDE app based on mimetype.

So the answer is: I choose Konqueror because of integration with KDE and that KHTML speed, but I choose Firefox because of simplicity, ease of use and that massive extensions database.

landotter
October 10th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Konqui...blech

It's a flagship of KDE and perfectly encapsulates why I strongly dislike the project. Incredibly powerful yet incredibly over-complicated. Why is this opening in that??!! Am I using xx type profile of file management-ftp-webbrowsing, or is the browser set to identify duplicate files?! Oh crap, I hit F6, it's gonna floss my teeth again. Eeek.

KDE I cry for you, so so many features and great code, but such awful usability.

Firefox is a darn good browser with a perfect UI, just wish you were snappier.

YourSurrogateGod
October 10th, 2005, 05:18 PM
I stick to Opera most of the time, but if I had a choice between Konqueror and Firefox, I'd stick to Firefox, I didn't have good experiences with Konqueror when I ran Suse.

Sirin
October 12th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Personally I'm not keen on KDE because I hate the fact that it has an integrated web browser. I hate the fact that internet explorer is integrated with Windows, and to have something similar going on in the alternative... That's NO GOOD. (http://sonicsez.ytmnd.com/)

In your opinion, actually, but the fact is that IE itself is integrated with the OS, not just the file manager, and that it was specifically constructed so that it was easy to access OS-specific functionality, like what to do with a certain type of file. In Konqueror, there are the same kind of file associations, but they get handed off to other user-space programs (e.g. the KParts) through direct invocation, not via RPC calls. (Yes, you read that right - Windows uses RPC calls all over the place instead of direct invocation.) That keeps the execution in user-space. You are perfectly safe running Konqueror on the web. I've been doing so since Konqueror was first released and it is my preferred universal browser, although I am playing with FireFox right now.

Did you know that Nautilus is not only the Gnome file browser, but the Gnome desktop shell as well? But hey, I'm not trying to attack Nautilus and Gnome. Linux itself is way more secure than Windows, but I need Internet Explorer to test my web pages using the intensely outdated Trident engine (Which I hate doing, Mind you :evil:).