PDA

View Full Version : is there any program like visual basic for ubuntu?

arvindenrique
February 3rd, 2008, 02:40 PM
is there any program like visual basic for ubuntu?

LaRoza
February 3rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
Visual Basic is a programming language, and yes, there are BASIC like languages for Linux.

Visual Studio is an IDE, which may be what you are asking about. See the stickies in the Programming Talk.

Alx c
February 3rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
You can download WINE wich lets you use any windows programs on ubuntu

webdr
February 3rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
Give GAMBAS a try, if I understood you correctly, you seek a linux based replacement for VB. GAMBAS is a nice fit for that.
ALSO,
I know it may not sound ultra-appealing, but if you take time to learn Python, you'll find it to be well worth it.

I hope you find this helpful.
-Mark Williams

M$LOL
February 3rd, 2008, 03:07 PM
You can download WINE wich lets you use any windows programs on ubuntu

Wine does not let you run any Windows program in Ubuntu, there are quite a few which it will not run, and from what I remember, I think Visual Basic is one of them.

Shin_Gouki2501
February 3rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
u might try eclipse(the best IDE on linux?!) and then use what suites u(PHP, Java etc..):
www.eclipse.org

CptPicard
February 3rd, 2008, 04:35 PM
http://wasteddomain.com/gallery/d/568-1/picard-sigh.jpg

You really should not try to migrate your Windows Experience (tm) as is to Linux. They are different platforms, and if you want to code for MSFT stuff, you should stay on Windows. On Linux it's a whole new world out there, and a better one IMO if you embrace it. Try something like Python, it's far better and about as easy, if not more.

LaRoza
February 3rd, 2008, 04:51 PM
@CptPicard I like it. Mind if I use it someday? :)

CptPicard
February 3rd, 2008, 05:15 PM
Sure, it's out there in the open. It does suit me particularly well though ;)

Really, the thought of Visual Basic on Linux maybe on top of WINE is enough to make Jean-Luc Picard cry. :(

And nobody wants that... right?

pmasiar
February 3rd, 2008, 05:20 PM
lol this is exactly my feelings too. CptPicard, you made my day!

LaRoza
February 3rd, 2008, 05:22 PM
Really, the thought of Visual Basic on Linux maybe on top of WINE is enough to make Jean-Luc Picard cry. :(

And nobody wants that... right?

I think it is a funny concept, if anyone wants to try it, go ahead. Just be sure to make a video of it and put it on youtube so we can all get a laugh.

aks44
February 3rd, 2008, 05:37 PM
Really, the thought of Visual Basic on Linux
Doesn't Mono already provide that?

Ok, I'll get my coat... :p

scorp123
February 3rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Doesn't Mono already provide that? You misunderstand a few concepts here. "Visual Basic under WINE on Linux" means you run a native made-for-Windows application and run it under an emulation (= Wine) on another operating system (Linux in this case). Mono however is a port (= translated to Linux so it will run as native program!) of the C# programming language and ".Net" programming concepts to Linux. Mono is not an emulation! And it has nothing to do with Visual Basic, the language it is based on is C# (C sharp) which shares some similarities with C, C++ and Java.

M$LOL
February 3rd, 2008, 06:14 PM
The connection with Mono and Visual Basic is that VB uses the .net framework/runtime, and a port of that is provided by Mono.

As for Wine, it's not an emulator, it's a compatibility layer, but yes you're right in saying that it's designed to run native Windows applications on linux.

aks44
February 3rd, 2008, 06:20 PM
You misunderstand a few concepts here.
Just in case you didn't notice, it was quite a tongue in the cheek comment...

Now, to *your* misunderstanding of some concepts / facts... ;)

"Visual Basic under WINE on Linux" means you run a native made-for-Windows application and run it under an emulation (= Wine) on another operating system (Linux in this case).
Wine Is Not an Emulator, it is a "compatibility layer for running Windows programs".

BTW as you probably noticed it I took care to leave out the "under Wine" part in my previous quote. ;)

Mono however is a port (= translated to Linux so it will run as native program!) of the C# programming language and ".Net" programming concepts to Linux. Mono is not an emulation! And it has nothing to do with Visual Basic, the language it is based on is C# (C sharp)
Mono is *not* a port of .Net, it is an independent implementation of the CLI (Common Language Infrastructure, which is both an ECMA and an ISO standard), just like .Net is.
Both Mono and .Net are VMs that allow CIL (Common Intermediate Language, which is just a glorified name for "bytecode") programs to be executed (usually through Just In Time compilation, just like the Java VM does BTW). Of course, both also provide a bunch of runtime libraries so that CIL programs can do something useful.
FWIW these bytecode programs can be generated from a number of different languages, including C#, VB.Net, IronPython, ... (again, just like the Java VM which supports the Java language itself, but also Jython and many more).

If I wanted to be picky, I'd say that Windows programs running on Linux thanks to Wine run natively (remember? Wine's implementation of the Win32 API just consists of native Linux libraries) as they execute directly on the CPU without modification (nor intermediate virtualization layer), while Mono and .Net (again, just like Java) actually are virtual machines, IOW emulators.

So there. :D

scorp123
February 4th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Just in case you didn't notice, it was quite a tongue in the cheek comment... Oh :) In that case let's just forget what I wrote up there. :)

Now, to *your* misunderstanding of some concepts / facts... ;) I kept stuff as simple as possible (and maybe even over-simplified stuff) ... because I totally misjudged you. Sorry for that. :)

As for the rest ... I am fully aware of all this. As I said ... I misjudged you and totally missed the nature of your earlier comment. Sorry about that too :)

pmasiar
February 4th, 2008, 02:40 PM
is there any program like visual basic for ubuntu?

to OP:

Do you want to have same syntax and functionality as VB/VS on Windows? Then stay on Windows. Please take no offense, I just want to make your life simple.

Do you want to learn something different, to see how Linux-based tools and solutions are superior to those on Windows? Then obviously you need to learn those tools! :-)

In area of simple but powerful language for programmers who don't want to handle the power and responsibility of using C/C++/C#, there are couple of dynamically typed languages (VB can do that too, but not as flexible). Python is my favorite, see stickies and wiki in my sig for links and training tasks.

clasificado
February 4th, 2008, 09:22 PM
For a simple question, a simple answer:

Try monodevelop, its in repostories.

aks44
February 4th, 2008, 09:28 PM
For a simple question, a simple answer
You're not quite used to this subforum, are you? Don't worry you'll get used to that... :p

(sorry, I couldn't help it... I'll get my coat ;))

skippi90
February 13th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Give GAMBAS a try, if I understood you correctly, you seek a linux based replacement for VB. GAMBAS is a nice fit for that.
ALSO,
I know it may not sound ultra-appealing, but if you take time to learn Python, you'll find it to be well worth it.

I hope you find this helpful.
-Mark Williams

I probably sound like a total **** but should GAMBAS be able to open vbp (visual basic project) files?

I need a program that can work with these file types on Ubuntu for my coursework.

LaRoza
February 13th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I probably sound like a total **** but should GAMBAS be able to open vbp (visual basic project) files?

I need a program that can work with these file types on Ubuntu for my coursework.

No, it shouldn't. I don't know if it can, but it is not VS so it shouldn't try to be.

You are using Visual Studio, and .NET for school? Then use Windows and Visual Studio.

If you don't have Windows at home, use a school computer.

Linux != Windows

ogwilson
February 14th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Now, completely oblivious to THAT guy's (skippi's) intentions, Is GAMBAS just a front end gui designer to many languages (kind of like QT4 or Glade) or does it incorporate its own language? And does Monodevelop exclusively use C#?

LaRoza
February 14th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Now, completely oblivious to THAT guy's (skippi's) intentions, Is GAMBAS just a front end gui designer to many languages (kind of like QT4 or Glade) or does it incorporate its own language? And does Monodevelop exclusively use C#?

http://gambas.sourceforge.net/

Monodevelop doesn't just use C#.

johnboy82
March 1st, 2013, 12:13 AM
I was going to try QT basic. I do not know if it will open vb files.

Drakx
March 17th, 2013, 12:26 AM
http://www.realsoftware.com/realstudio/ failing that MonoDevelop and Mono.

QIII
March 17th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Thank you for sharing. Everyone’s questions are important and answers are valuable.

This zombie has been walking around for two weeks...

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.

Thread closed.