PDA

View Full Version : What Book are you reading now?

chrispche
February 3rd, 2008, 01:49 PM
American Gods By Neil Gaiman.

Never ever read any of his books before. So not sure what to expect. Based on Amazon reviews it seems like it could be good.

LaRoza
February 3rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
I am mostly taking a break from computer programming books and going to H. P. Lovecraft. I have three books full of his works, and should be busy for a while.

popch
February 3rd, 2008, 01:55 PM
The Alien Years by Robert Silverberg

bufsabre666
February 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
php and mysql for dummies was the last book i had in my hands before bed last night

el mariachi
February 3rd, 2008, 02:02 PM
Naomi by Tanizaki

koleoptero
February 3rd, 2008, 02:09 PM
The elven nations trilogy vol.2 "The Kinslayer Wars" by Douglas Niles. I just can't stop reading fantasy books.

CouchMaster
February 3rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
HyperSpace - Michio Kaku
A journey through parallel universes, time warps and the 10th diminsion.

urukrama
February 3rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
(Among other things) TS Eliot's The Waste Land.

Btw, we already have about 4 threads like this:

What are you reading or have recently read? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=631080)

So,what are you reading right now? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=616449)

What book are you reading at the moment? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=443749)

What are you reading (right now)? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=87083)

mysticrider92
February 3rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six (a little different from the other books posted :)).

Wiebelhaus
February 3rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
I am mostly taking a break from computer programming books and going to H. P. Lovecraft. I have three books full of his works, and should be busy for a while.

Get ready for a mind trip.

I'm reading Matt Hughes "Made in America"

vishzilla
February 3rd, 2008, 02:51 PM
Gone Baby Gone -- Dennis Lehane

orange2k
February 3rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Magnus Lie Hetland: Beginning Python - From Novice to Professional

Dan Simmons: Hyperion (sci-fi series)

graabein
February 3rd, 2008, 04:10 PM
Just finished Watchmen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen) and halfway through In Cold Blood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_cold_blood) by Truman Capote.

Bachstelze
February 3rd, 2008, 05:12 PM
Hemingway, For Whom The Bell Tolls

Golyadkin
February 3rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
Hey, what a coincidence, I just finished "The Sun Also Rises" and am now reading "A Farewell to Arms". I read "For Whom The Bell Tolls" a few years ago. If you like Hemingway, try "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac!

Camrygrl
February 3rd, 2008, 05:21 PM
Ubuntu Hacks from the O'Reilly Hack Series.

justin whitaker
February 3rd, 2008, 05:42 PM
Fooled by Randomness-Nassim Taleb.

Specter043
February 3rd, 2008, 06:00 PM
Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay.

Also Just finished Fight Club, and it is my new favorite book of all time.

init1
February 3rd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Cujo by Stephen King

forrestcupp
February 3rd, 2008, 06:24 PM
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
for about the 4th time.

LaRoza
February 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
for about the 4th time.

I've read the series countless times, a master piece.

mostwanted
February 3rd, 2008, 06:29 PM
The Ego and Its Own by Max Stirner

I started reading it because I found several sources saying he was a great inspiration to Nietzsche. Now that I've read about half of the book, I think it's safe to say that this assumption is correct.

bufsabre666
February 3rd, 2008, 06:36 PM
Also Just finished Fight Club, and it is my new favorite book of all time.

its my favorite book and my favorite movie of all time

i though to movie was good but then i read the book and i feel in love

chrispche
February 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Magnus Lie Hetland: Beginning Python - From Novice to Professional

Dan Simmons: Hyperion (sci-fi series)

Excellent book. Hyperion. Don't stop. You have 3 more books to go. I envy you. Those were great reads.

chrispche
February 3rd, 2008, 07:25 PM
(Among other things) TS Eliot's The Waste Land.

Btw, we already have about 4 threads like this:

What are you reading or have recently read? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=631080)

So,what are you reading right now? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=616449)

What book are you reading at the moment? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=443749)

What are you reading (right now)? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=87083)

Maybe we should have a sticky thread like this then? Mods???

orange2k
February 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
Excellent book. Hyperion. Don't stop. You have 3 more books to go. I envy you. Those were great reads.

You may be wrong: there is a fifth - Hyperion 5 - Orphans of the Helix.
Its only 44 pages long - if you`re a fan, you shouldnt miss it...:)

Kingsley
February 3rd, 2008, 07:42 PM
I was reading A Thousand Splendid Suns, but I've gotten sidetracked due to schoolwork and other stuff.

ThinkBuntu
February 3rd, 2008, 07:48 PM
Black Bolshevik: Autobiography of an Afro-American Communist
Confederate Emancipation: Southern plans to free and arm slaves during the civil war (Levine)
Making a New Deal (Cohen)

bufsabre666
February 3rd, 2008, 08:02 PM
right now its my javascript 2 text book

/me sigh

stupid school work

[/being a crybaby]

getaboat
February 3rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
Alan Turing biog

faintscrawl
February 3rd, 2008, 08:15 PM
Bruce Chatwin's In Patagonia. Classic travel lit.

HotShotDJ
February 3rd, 2008, 08:29 PM
Cousins, N. (1979). Anatomy of an Illness As Perceived by the Patient. W. W. Norton: New York.

Dawkins, R. (2005). The Ancestor's Tale: A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Evolution. First Mariner Books: New York.

Shermer, M. (2002). Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confustions of Our Time. W.H. Freeman / Owl Books: New York.

Shermer. M. (2004). The Science of Good and Evil: Why People Cheat, Gossip, Care, Share, and Follow the Golden Rule. Owl Books, Henry Holt and Company: New York.

Shubin, N. (2008 ). Your Inner Fish: A Journey Into the 3.5 Billion-Year History of the Human Body. Pantheon Books: New York.

Books are in alphabetical order by author, not by preference. I completed Dawkins (2005) a few weeks ago. I've nearly completed Shermer (2002). I just started Cousins (1979) and Shubin (2008 ) and will start Shermer (2004) next week after I complete Cousins (1979). I think thats enough for now. :)

Lord Illidan
February 3rd, 2008, 08:32 PM
J.R.R. Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King.

orange2k
February 3rd, 2008, 08:36 PM
Bruce Chatwin's In Patagonia. Classic travel lit.

Can I flog my own ware's? Pollen (http://www.lulu.com/content/288573) --free in Ubuntu spirit.

There's a topic for discussion for linux people: how about public access to all lit? Do you folks pay for books?

There are ways for people to find many books online just the same way people find movies. But I still think its nicer to have the real thing - and there is always e-bay. Some books can only be found online or have limited editions and are hard to find. Would you read something if it was illegally downloaded or would you wait until you found it in a store?:confused:

Information should be accessible but writers should be rewarded.

Condoulo
February 3rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
I'm currently reading Julius Caesar by Shakespeare.

HotShotDJ
February 3rd, 2008, 08:54 PM
But I still think its nicer to have the real thing - and there is always e-bay. Some books can only be found online or have limited editions and are hard to find. Would you read something if it was illegally downloaded or would you wait until you found it in a store?I don't know if you intended this as a general question for everybody, but I hope you don't mind my popping in. Even with books available as e-books, I also prefer the "real thing" in my hand. For hard to find books, I use either my local library or my university library -- both can get just about anything through interlibrary loan. And don't forget Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page) as a resource for titles who's copyright has expired in the United States.

I DO like to buy my own copies whenever possible because I have a habit of making notes in the margins and highlighting interesting parts -- libraries are rather cranky about that kind of thing. :)

orange2k
February 3rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
I don't know if you intended this as a general question for everybody, but I hope you don't mind my popping in.

I don`t mind, but you actually did not answer the question...:-k

Let me rephrase: if you knew about a book that is otherwise unaccessible, would you read the illegally downloaded e-book?

HotShotDJ
February 3rd, 2008, 09:02 PM
I don`t mind, but you actually did not answer the question...:-kOOPS... I guess I didn't -- No, I would not use an illegal download. If I don't want to pay for a book, I'll use the library. There is no excuse for illegal downloads for books.

In your hypothetical situation, I might read an illegally downloaded version. Not if it was just a matter of waiting for a special order, but only if the title was absolutely unavailable by any other method. However, I should add that I can't imagine such a situation -- but that might be a function of where I live. If I can't get a book through the library system, a book store or amazon, I also have access to one of the largest rare books collection in the United States housed at Yale University.

popch
February 3rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
Would you read something if it was illegally downloaded or would you wait until you found it in a store?

I have downloaded software illegally and bought it later. That issue has not arisen with books, so far, but I presume that I would act the same way there.

Yes, there's always the danger of procrastinating. Once I have the content, I could very conveniently forget about the paying bit.

mmb1
February 3rd, 2008, 09:12 PM
A Clockwork Orange

by Anthony Burgess

terribly amazing.

Tenken
February 3rd, 2008, 09:26 PM
The Orc King - R.A. Salvatore

Sidewinder1
February 3rd, 2008, 10:06 PM
The Darkest Evening of the Year - Dean Koontz

20thCenturyBoy
February 3rd, 2008, 10:32 PM
I'm reading a few books at the same time...

The Rise of Christianity by Rodney Stark.

The Knights Templar by Stephen Howarth.

Cracking the Freemasons Code by Robert L.D. Cooper.

Yeah, I'm a history buff. And no, I'm not a conspiracy theorist.

forrestcupp
February 3rd, 2008, 10:34 PM
There are ways for people to find many books online just the same way people find movies. But I still think its nicer to have the real thing - and there is always e-bay. Some books can only be found online or have limited editions and are hard to find. Would you read something if it was illegally downloaded or would you wait until you found it in a store?:confused:

Information should be accessible but writers should be rewarded.

I don't really like e-books anyway. Reading things that in depth on a monitor is hard on the eyes.

orange2k
February 3rd, 2008, 10:38 PM
I don't really like e-books anyway. Reading things that in depth on a monitor is hard on the eyes.

You can always print it...:-\"

h-town
February 3rd, 2008, 10:48 PM
The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff.. very cute book with some deep undertones.

DjBones
February 3rd, 2008, 11:02 PM
Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
Brian Greene's Fabric of the Cosmos
Marcus Aurelius' Meditations

Pekkalainen
February 3rd, 2008, 11:46 PM
The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins
The blabbering gets to be a little too much at points but it's mostly good

HotShotDJ
February 3rd, 2008, 11:56 PM
The God Delusion, by Richard DawkinsExcellent book. I liked it so well, I bought the hard-cover version. :)

forrestcupp
February 4th, 2008, 12:02 AM
You can always print it...:-\"

Like I'm going to download Lord of the Rings or War and Peace and print the whole books out.It would be cheaper just to buy the books. :)

el mariachi
February 4th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Like I'm going to download Lord of the Rings or War and Peace and print the whole books out.It would be cheaper just to buy the books. :)
now that would be stupid.. (downloading and printing xD)

Linuxratty
February 4th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Just finished The Hobbit and N. Chomsky 9-11.
I'm now reading:
The Dispossessed U.K. Leguin
Silicon Snake Oil C. Stoll

DeadSuperHero
February 4th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Hm...books...oh yes, those things you read...

The last book I read was...
hmm...

Well, the last GOOD book I read was an Isaac Asimov collection. Has loads of his stories, excellent stuff.
And then there's stuff like Eragon, Eldest, and that last Harry Potter book.

But, I'm busy writing my own book (With OpenOffice, no less!), and will be published hopefully within the next few years.

regomodo
February 4th, 2008, 01:37 AM
a mixture of 3

The Art of Electronics - Horowitz and Hill
Beginning Python - Hetland
Making Things Talk - Igoe

That last one is really well written.
As you can see i dont like fiction. I think the last fiction book i read was for my GCSEs which would be about 6years ago.

bruce89
February 4th, 2008, 01:52 AM
The GLib reference manual (http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/stable/), a thrilling read.

overdrank
February 4th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Blue Gold by CLive Cussler

EmilyRose
February 4th, 2008, 03:00 AM
I'm reading:

The C Programming Language

The Foreigner's Gift by Foud Ajami

Just finished The Legend of Pope Joan which was very interesting

Koori23
February 4th, 2008, 03:08 AM
A dichotomy for me..

God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
AND.. on the other side of the spectrum

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

Trail
February 4th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Maths2...

graabein
February 5th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I don`t mind, but you actually did not answer the question...:-k

Let me rephrase: if you knew about a book that is otherwise unaccessible, would you read the illegally downloaded e-book?

Isn't that sort of going to the library and lending the book there? More than 2/3 of everything I've read I've rented and I have more than two cases full of bought stuff.

diskotek
February 5th, 2008, 08:16 AM
hasan bülent kahraman - culture never forgives the history (in turkish)

nice book for whom interested in cultural studies.

tosk
February 5th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Star Trek: The Next Generation - Death in Winter by Michael Jan Friedman. It's the first of the TNG relaunch titles so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

fenian
February 5th, 2008, 09:37 AM
White Noise by Don DeLillo

BobCFC
February 6th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Cory Doctorow - Eastern Standard Tribe

a near future hi-tek distopia... think cyberpunk not spaceships.

You can download all Cory Doctorow's books and short stories for free from his website (http://craphound.com/index.php?cat=5) he dual publishes in the Creative Commons' licence

Moving on to Vernor Vinge next... stuff about the impending Singularity.

RAV TUX
February 6th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Shlomo's Stories

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=58873&d=1202296068

You can actual read some of the beginning of the book at amazon; link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1568219601/ref=sib_dp_pt/103-9626535-1332634#reader-link).

From the back of the book:

"The stories assembled in this anthology are among the favorite hasidic tales told by Rabbi Shlomo Carlbach since his career as a teacher, musician, composer and storyteller began in the mid-1950s. Internationally famed as a performer and the father of modern hasidic music, Rabbi Carlebach first emerged as a master in his own right when he established the House of Love and Prayer in San Francisco in 1967. Among the first to draw thousands of young people back to Judaism, he initiated a movement that now extends worldwide. While Rabbi Carlebach is best known for his teachings and his creative talents as a musician/composer, his gift as a storyteller has received acclaim in New Age retreats, storytelling seminars, and concerts throughout the world where Jew and non-Jew alike have been drawn to these stories and to their wisdom"
~Susan Yael Mesinai

hyper_ch
February 6th, 2008, 12:41 PM
currently I'm reading The Dark Tower novels.

regomodo
February 14th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Can now add

Rapid GUI programming with Python and Qt
Digital Image Processing, 3rd edition

I guess the idea of having quiet final semester is out the window now.

Tristam Green
February 14th, 2008, 03:53 PM
About half-way through Sergei Lukyanenko's "Night Watch" -- will be starting "Day Watch" directly following.
Also began reading Seamus Heaney's translation of "Beowulf" again.

I might re-read Piers Paul Read's "The Templars"...I love that book.

stump138
February 14th, 2008, 04:10 PM
"The Brief HIstory of the Dead" - Kevin Brockmeier

tocky
February 14th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I read two books at the same time;

Blink

The undercover economist

Celegorm
February 14th, 2008, 06:22 PM
"Hackers and Painters" -Paul Graham

Visti
February 14th, 2008, 06:59 PM
The Wolves of The Calla - Stephen King

I am HOOKED on his series - I've gotta read some more King, though he mentions that they're not at all like his other books.

public_void
February 14th, 2008, 07:03 PM
2001 A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke

koleoptero
February 14th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Finished the dark tower series by Stephen King, also finished the Starlight and Shadows trilogy, and I am now reading the Second Demon Wars by R.A. Salvatore (finished the first ones too) :mrgreen:

chrispche
February 17th, 2008, 08:24 PM
You may be wrong: there is a fifth - Hyperion 5 - Orphans of the Helix.
Its only 44 pages long - if you`re a fan, you shouldnt miss it...:)

Where can one find it? An anthology I assume.

Nevon
February 17th, 2008, 09:00 PM
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Art of Intrusion by Kevin Mitnick and William Simon
Half Share by Nathan Lowell

popch
February 17th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Helmke: Humor and Moroccan Culture

k2t0f12d
February 17th, 2008, 09:13 PM
The Art of War, Sun Tzu

shashipr
February 17th, 2008, 09:21 PM
The Age of Turbulence: Adventures in a New World - Alan Greenspan

Jay Jay
February 17th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Introducing American Politics - Patrick Brogan & Chris Garratt

cprofitt
February 17th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I am currently between books. My last one was Python Programming: An Introdution to computer science by Zelle... I am currently looking for a good C book and a good book on hacking (cracking actually despite their using the hacking word) as I try to move from Sys Admin to security so I can increase my annual monetary intake.

cprofitt
February 17th, 2008, 10:59 PM
The Art of War, Sun Tzu

Good read.

A similar one I have thought of reading is The Way of the Living Sword: The Secret Teachings of Yagyu Munenori (http://www.amazon.com/Way-Living-Sword-Teachings-Munenori/dp/0595279988/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203285480&sr=1-1)any chance you have read that one?

Presto123
February 17th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I'm currently in the middle of Memories, Dreams, Reflections by C.G. Jung. Interesting character...

fs3rp4
February 18th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Wizard and glass

Stephen King

k2t0f12d
February 18th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Wizard and glass

Stephen King

Great read

lyceum
February 18th, 2008, 01:23 AM
The Design of Everyday Things by Donald A. Norman (for school)

Building Online Communities with Drupal, phpBB, and WordPress by Robert T. Douglass, Mike Little, and Jared W. Smith (for me)

The New Testament by Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Petter, James, Jude, and Paul (for me & Jesus)

amazingtaters
February 18th, 2008, 01:35 AM
A couple actually:

The Conscience of a Liberal by Paul Krugman

Politics and Culture in the Developing World by Richard Payne and Jamal Nassar

Cases in International Relations: Portraits of the Future by Donald Snow

fredfjr
February 18th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

days_of_ruin
February 18th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Beginning Game Development with Python and Pygame
by will mcgugan.

sajro
February 18th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Just finished The Giver and I'm now reading A Complete H@acker's Handbook, 2002 ed. Found for $4.50 at a used bookstore. I'm learning jst a bunch of TCP/IP stuff really. Already knew about port scanning, telnet/ssh SMTP forgery, etc.

cybergal
February 18th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Just finished reading:
U-Turn
What If You Woke Up One Morning And Realized You Were Living The Wrong Life?
by Bruce Grierson

Tenken
February 18th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey - Chuck Palahniuk. One of the weirdest books I've ever read.

leach
February 19th, 2008, 11:03 PM
The Man in the High Castle
Philip K. ****

spupy
February 20th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Just finished the Silmarillion. I wanted to read "The Hobbit" next, but the local library doesn't have it, so i jumped on LOTR.
After that I will finish "The Rise of Endymion".

graabein
March 17th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Just finished In Cold Blood by Truman Capote and ploughed halfway through Innsirkling by the Norwegian author Carl Frode Tiller. Next I'll have another crack at Thomas Mann I think... Or maybe a quick one by that Russian who wrote Master And Margarita.

NightwishFan
March 17th, 2008, 06:37 PM
The Crystal Shard by Rob Salvatore. Bruenor Battlehammer ftw. :)

Kingsley
March 17th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. The is actually very different from the movie.

cerpin
March 17th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Alhazred by Donald Tyson

based on H.P Lovecrafts "Mad Arab" or Necronomicon

great book

justin whitaker
March 17th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Cook with Jaime-Jamie Oliver.

Yep, I've descended into the black morass that is the serious foodie...reading cookbooks is the latest symptom. :)

chucky chuckaluck
March 17th, 2008, 08:11 PM
i've been reading michael pollan's omnivore's dilemna. i had no idea all the things corn is used for and never really thought about how much corn farming has done to 'alter' the environment.

Ultra Magnus
March 17th, 2008, 08:36 PM
The Call of Chtulu and other wierd tales by HP Lovecraft
Sourcery (Disc World) by Terry Pratchet
The great divorce by cs lewis

I have a short attention span so I have to read more than one book at a time

Erik Trybom
March 17th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. It makes a good read if you give it some time, but the language is difficult and it's filled with these ridiculously cultivated characters that make you go mad at times.

fifth
March 17th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Darkly Dreaming Dexter... cause i went cold turkey at the end of the last series :D

L473ncy
March 17th, 2008, 10:23 PM
1984 (for school)

I'm planning to get into Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand (sp?)) and The Spy Who Came in fro m the Cold (Ian Flemming) once my work starts to go down.

LifeSign
March 17th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre

It's a novel about a man who goes insane by one of the more popular existentialist thinkers.

pmgr33r
March 17th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Chuck Klosterman IV - Chuck Klosterman
America - John Stewart
Clockwork Orange - Stanley Kubrick

Linuxratty
March 17th, 2008, 11:57 PM
9/11 N, Chomsky.
The Chinese God-Father Paul Gillette.
The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin.
The Hobbit.(Re read it cause i heard it's being made into a movie.)

Iam138
March 18th, 2008, 02:01 AM
The Complete Works of O.Henry (William Sydney Porter).

uberlube
March 18th, 2008, 02:04 AM
The Whisper in the Darkness

H.P. Lovecraft

Technoviking
March 18th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Now re-reading the original Elric series by Michael Moorcock.

batman01
March 18th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I normally have two on the go at once, just finished Liseys Story by Stephen King and re-reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintanance, which should be required reading for anyone dealing with technology of any kind. Probably going to pick up a Pratchett for light relief as well.

Wizard of Aahz
March 23rd, 2008, 09:10 PM
Doesn't it really depend upon which room of the house you're in at the moment?

Bedroom Stack
David Farland - Worlds of the Golden Queen
Terry Prachett - Guards Guards for the upteenth time just cause I enjoy it.
Casti - The Cambridge Quintet

Office Stack
Brust - Issola
Mythical Man Month
IRB Practices

Living Room
Out of this World - Watt-Evans
The Obsydian Key - Thompson

I certainly read a wide variety at any time.l

popch
March 23rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
Doesn't it really depend upon which room of the house you're in at the moment?

You left out the bathroom and toilet stacks!

cardinals_fan
March 23rd, 2008, 09:22 PM
The Shape Shifter by Tony Hillerman

fela
March 23rd, 2008, 09:28 PM
1) very slowly: CSS, DHTML & AJAX Fourth Edition by Jason Cranford Teague (visual quickstart guide)

2) The Master by T.H.White

3) just finished Kit's Wilderness by David Almond

Ubuntu devels, keep up the EXCELLENT work, it ROCKS :D:D:D:D

Chilli Bob
March 24th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Bedroom:
The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes

Lounge Room:
2010 by Arthur C Clarke

mostwanted
March 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Right now I´m reading Laws Divine and Human by Chinese religious philosopher Laozi (the founder of Daoism) as well as Mao´s little red book. I´m traveling China at the moment so it makes for good bedtime reading :)

Joeb454
March 24th, 2008, 01:56 PM
You left out the bathroom and toilet stacks!

:lolflag: I know what you mean...

linuxisfree
March 24th, 2008, 01:58 PM
After seeing all 3 movies, i am now reading The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy, and The Bourne Ultimatum by Robert Ludlum. (1 at a time, and in order, of course.) :D

amazingtaters
March 24th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Right now for me its

Conscience of a Liberal by Paul Krugman

and

The End of Poverty: Economic Possiblities in Our Time by Jeffery Sachs

derekr44
March 24th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Managing Software Requirements, Second Edition: A Use Case Approach

Yes, I really am...

Ripfox
March 24th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Second book in The Wheel Of Time "The Great Hunt"

Wow...where have I been all this time, what great books!

herbster
March 24th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Lincoln by David Herbert.

PartisanEntity
March 24th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I'm currently reading Kosovo: A Short History by Noel Malcolm

eragon100
March 24th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Whel, I'm not sure if you can call it a book or not, but: http://fanfiction.shurtugal.com/viewstory.php?action=printable&textsize=0&sid=1547&chapter=all

I have just started in it :)

Roc327
March 24th, 2008, 08:23 PM
The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King...Actually need to pick up "Song of Susannah" to start back up.

I would like to check out some C.S. Lewis stuff.

The Bible. (NAS)

Vitamin-Carrot
March 24th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I cant remember if ive already replied.

But im really enjoying the O Trilogy by Maurice Gee.

ITs the shizzzzzz

sanderella
March 24th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Vivian Gray by Benjamin Disraeli. Very funny if you like British satire. :)

cprofitt
March 24th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Managing Software Requirements, Second Edition: A Use Case Approach

Yes, I really am...

Fairly good book; I also liked Coder to Developer as well.

Virtual Honeypots: from Botnet Tracking to Intrusion Detection (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321336321/ref=yml_dp) by Niels Provos and Thorsten Holz

The next book in my que is:

Hacking: The Art of Exploitation (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1593271441/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2SLGVRZ5MBO47&colid=Y39GROA8PE44), 2nd Edition by Jon Erickson

Though to read the hacking book I will need to be further along with my exploration of C and assembly.

odiseo77
March 24th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Short stories and essays by Jorge Luis Borges (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Luis_Borges). Simply awesome! Been reading him for years and I still discover new things in his writings.

Nikolai D.
August 7th, 2008, 01:53 AM
The Pilgrim's Progress (http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Pilgrim%27s_Progress/Part_I/Section_1#THE_Pilgrims_Progress:_In_the_similitude _of_a_DREAM.)

You cant even imagine how really is this book worth reading!
It can turn upside-down all you have ever known.

Riffer
August 7th, 2008, 06:23 AM
The Reaper's Gale by Steven Erikson, 2nd time, a good "read".

Kingsley
August 7th, 2008, 06:33 AM
The Autobiography of Malcolm X. This guy has a very interesting take on race.

Lexicon101
August 7th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Atlas shrugged. Ayn Rand. Amazing, and (imho) mentally gorgeous woman. On the day I've driven even one more mindless human sheep to this mindset, I'll die content.
(J/K. I'll never be content. But I'll always be happy. (There will always be more to accomplish, and accomplishing is what makes a human happy. (or at least... me. (plus, nesting. Nesting makes my posts fun.))))

DarkW0lf
August 16th, 2008, 11:12 PM
The Best of HP Lovecraft : Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre

" Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn "

Cl0ud9
August 16th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Fleeced by **** Morris

david_lynch
August 17th, 2008, 02:20 AM
"Where wizards stay up late - the origins of the internet" by Katie Hafner and Matthew Lyon

david_lynch
August 17th, 2008, 02:22 AM
The Pilgrim's Progress (http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Pilgrim%27s_Progress/Part_I/Section_1#THE_Pilgrims_Progress:_In_the_similitude _of_a_DREAM.)

I liked the pilgrims regress (by C S Lewis)

myusername
August 17th, 2008, 02:31 AM
save me from myself by brian welch (korn)

Motomo
August 17th, 2008, 02:33 AM
The Last Cato......

chrispche
August 17th, 2008, 10:19 PM
If not mentioned already Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton rather good so far. Two thirds in.

DarkW0lf
August 23rd, 2008, 04:10 AM
"Where wizards stay up late - the origins of the internet" by Katie Hafner and Matthew Lyon

Good Book

chrispche
August 23rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
I'm well and truly sorry Peter F. Hamilton but Pandora's Star will have to wait. I have just got Everville by Clive Barker. Sorry Pete but there is no competition on the books of the art.

NWAdawg
August 23rd, 2008, 07:40 PM
I'm reading two books currently
Stalingrad by Beeover
Ubuntu Linux Toolbox by Negus/Caen

kavon89
August 23rd, 2008, 08:13 PM
Linux Administration Handbook (2nd Edition) - Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder, & Trent R. Hein

This book has taught me more solid information about Linux in the first several chapters than I knew from messing around with different distros over a couple of years. I plan to read the whole thing at least once.

artir
August 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Dune- Frank Herbert

karellen
August 23rd, 2008, 08:43 PM
War and peace - Leo Tolstoi

themissinglink1
August 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
Cats Eye - Margaret Atwood
The Plot Against America - Philip Roth
Aldous Huxley - A Brave New World

English Advanced higher dissertation to do on these 3 books..... they are all i have and will be reading repeatedly for the next few months. :( great books tho.... personal fav Cats Eye. On the surface seems an ordinary book but packed full of good characterisation and conflict. Great for essays :)

amazingtaters
August 23rd, 2008, 10:34 PM
I think my sig says it pretty well. After it will follow "The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder" by Vincent Bugliosi

Bachstelze
August 23rd, 2008, 10:48 PM
Amélie Nothomb, Le fait du prince

The French speakers here must know her already, and to everyone else I highly recommend her Loving sabotage, Life of hunger and Character of rain.

hermes0710
August 23rd, 2008, 10:50 PM
The wind-up bird chronicle, Haruki Murakami

Dixon Bainbridge
August 23rd, 2008, 10:52 PM
The wind-up bird chronicle, Haruki Murakami

Excellent book.

Currently reading Amrita (again) by Banana Yoshimoto.

giantoz
August 23rd, 2008, 11:00 PM
Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

Just finished Perdido Street Station by China Melville

First Post! http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/guitar.gif

Bachstelze
August 23rd, 2008, 11:21 PM
First Post! http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/guitar.gif

Welcome ;)

graabein
August 23rd, 2008, 11:35 PM
Short stories and essays by Jorge Luis Borges (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Luis_Borges). Simply awesome! Been reading him for years and I still discover new things in his writings.

Borges is fantastic. Another favourite of mine is D.H. Lawrence.

I've been reading Elias Canetti this summer but I really want to take another stab at "The Magic Mountain" by Thomas Mann.

hsweet
August 23rd, 2008, 11:42 PM
The Yiddish Detective's Union

starcannon
August 23rd, 2008, 11:44 PM
Charles Dickens Bleak House

nrs
August 23rd, 2008, 11:48 PM
Kurt Vonnegut - Mother Night

zmjjmz
August 23rd, 2008, 11:52 PM
I just finished 2061: Odyssey 3, and will take up 3001: The final Odyssey tomorrow.

Lorelei-
August 24th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Very Good, Jeeves - P G Wodehouse

(I'm somewhat of a Jeeves & Wooster nut :P)

Sisteroot
October 18th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Unix System Administration Handbook by Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder, Scott Seebass, Trent H. Hein

mkrahmeh
October 18th, 2008, 08:34 PM
"Linux administrator street smarts" by Roderick Smith

david_lynch
October 18th, 2008, 08:39 PM
"Pushing Ice" by Alistair Reynolds. I like his stuff, he writes hard Sci Fi like David Brin and Gregory Benford.

Maupertus
October 18th, 2008, 10:27 PM
English Law by Smith and Keenan,
Tort by a long list of Authors

and when my exams in, you've guessed it, common law are over I'll get back to Russel Shorto's Island at the Centre of the World which is steadily increasing my Patriotism, for the Dutch could at one time truely sell you everything ;)

eragon100
October 18th, 2008, 10:42 PM
"Python programming for the absolute beginner, second edition".

I am a beginning programmer :wink:

it's 451 pages A4 :D

Kleist
October 18th, 2008, 10:44 PM
The Antichrist by Nietzsche.

Viranh
October 18th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Name of the Wind- Patrick Rothfuss
I'm a sucker for fantasy.

andras artois
October 18th, 2008, 11:24 PM
carpe jugulum by terry pratchett

discworld is the don, forget your ubuntu, it's all about hex.

Prefix100
October 18th, 2008, 11:30 PM
'The Origin of Species' by Charles Darwin, I plan to read 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins after.

My favorite book of all time is '1984' by George Orwell.

Any good books on Evolution or the arguments against Evolution that I should read?

I've been trying to find good arguments against Evolution, but I haven't found one worth considering so far - most are misinformation given and spread around by Creationists and the like - if anyone can point me to a book that actually shows real weakness's in the Evolution theory, please post them.

QwUo173Hy
October 19th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Finishing Teachings of Gurdjieff: A Pupil's Journal (http://www.amazon.com/Teachings-Gurdjieff-C-S-Nott/dp/0140191569) and possibly going on to The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Now-Guide-Spiritual-Enlightenment/dp/0340733500/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224379595&sr=8-1) for the second time!

themissinglink1
October 20th, 2008, 11:52 AM
"We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin (English Translation)
"A Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley
"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy for my english Dissertation....... very good books; recommended. The road will be made into a movie next year...read it b4 the movie comes out :D

Lorelei-
October 20th, 2008, 01:08 PM
carpe jugulum by terry pratchett

discworld is the don, forget your ubuntu, it's all about hex.

woot another Discworld fan. Carpe Jugulum is brilliant though :)

The Mysterious Affair at the Styles - Agatha Christie
Linux Cookbook

handy
October 20th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I'm into the early stages of The Return of the King, 3rd part of LOTR.

Audio books are cool, it is the abridged BBC version with a huge cast, great music. Their version of The Hobbit is brilliant also.

alwez_loner_TZ
October 21st, 2008, 07:43 AM
Wheel of time - Robert Jordan
Tutorials for GIMP

frankleeee
October 21st, 2008, 08:48 AM
Abnormal Psychology: An Integrative Approach David H. Barlow, V. Mark Durand. It is the text book for a psychopathology course.

Chilli Bob
October 21st, 2008, 11:32 AM
"250 HTML and Web Design Secrets" by Molly E. Holzschlag. It's quite good actually.

I'm trying to move from table based layouts to CSS layouts, and this has a few good bits in it.

sisco311
October 25th, 2008, 11:22 PM
just finished The Good Soldier Švejk by Jaroslav Hašek.

rereading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez.

bruce89
October 25th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Morality for Beautiful Girls, the 3rd of the No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith.

sisco311
November 15th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Krakatit by Karel Čapek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karel_Capek)

Grant A.
November 15th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner Second Edition by Michael Dawson (http://www.amazon.com/Python-Programming-Absolute-Beginner-Second/dp/1598631128/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226764332&sr=8-1). I got it on sale and it's pretty good. I'm in while loops right now :)

nandasunu
November 15th, 2008, 04:59 PM
God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

silverglade00
November 15th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Crossroads of Twilight - Robert Jordan.
Book 10 of the Wheel of Time series.

lswest
November 15th, 2008, 05:13 PM
uh... A few lol :P

"Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad (for school)

"The Code Book" by Simon Singh

"The Analyst" by John Katzenbach

metallicamike
November 15th, 2008, 05:18 PM
The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury......holy crap its awesome

s.fox
November 15th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Secret Diary of a Call Girl by Belle De Jour
They Came and Ate Us by Robert Rankin

zmjjmz
November 15th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Rapture for the Geeks by Richard Doole.

Wiebelhaus
November 15th, 2008, 06:19 PM
The Grapes of Wrath written by John Steinbeck.

Go buy it , that's all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grapes_of_Wrath

mostwanted
November 15th, 2008, 06:25 PM
"Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad (for school)

This has got to be some of most painful prose ever written in the English language. Apocalypse Now is a great film, though.

As for me, I'm always reading several books at a time. Currently reading:
"Gödel-Escher-Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas R. Hofstadter (which is making my brain hurt, but I still like it a lot)
"Crime and Punishment" by Dostoevsky
Various books about China and the Chinese language

lukjad
November 15th, 2008, 06:30 PM
The Complete Book To A+ Certification by Mike Meyers

fredscripts
November 15th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I've just finished "Euler, the master of us all". Gorgeous book.

I'm currently reading "Intermediate Perl".

rabid9797
November 15th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Currently House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
and then after that Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

steeleyuk
November 15th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I'm reading Barack Obama - The Audacity Of Hope. Pretty good so far, some of the stories he tells are fantastic and good to know.

Wiebelhaus
November 15th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I'm reading Barack Obama - The Audacity Of Hope. Pretty good so far, some of the stories he tells are fantastic and good to know.

Fantastic book , some highlights are:

The first chapter, titled "Republicans and Democrats"

Chapter five, "Opportunity"

Chapter six, "Faith"

Chapter seven, "Race"

Chapter eight, "The World beyond Our Borders"

steeleyuk
November 15th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I'm on chapter 5 at the moment. I've got Dreams From My Father to read after this one as well...

tom66
November 15th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Computer Programming with Java for Dummies.

Actually for novice programmers, but meh. I do know many a programming languages.

Wiebelhaus
November 15th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I'm on chapter 5 at the moment. I've got Dreams From My Father to read after this one as well...

It's good to see that your educating yourself about what is happening in the US even though your a world apart , Which is the same thing I do here , I just wish more Americans would do the same thing , Kudos buddy.

lswest
November 15th, 2008, 10:59 PM
This has got to be some of most painful prose ever written in the English language. Apocalypse Now is a great film, though.

Don't find the book bad either, might be a bit long-winded, but meh, other than that it's fine.

steeleyuk
November 15th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I've read Heart of Darkness a few years ago. Personally, it was crap. Just one of them books I couldn't get into. I can usually read anything but that was just awful (along with Wuthering Heights as well, hate that book with a passion).

richg
November 15th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Books with paper pages. Some soft cover, some hard cover. Some large, some not so large.

Rich

jomiolto
November 15th, 2008, 11:23 PM
The Bristing Wood by Katharin Kerr. She's a brilliant writer and I'd definitely recommend her books to all fantasy-lovers (and why not others too) :KS

lswest
November 15th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I've read Heart of Darkness a few years ago. Personally, it was crap. Just one of them books I couldn't get into. I can usually read anything but that was just awful (along with Wuthering Heights as well, hate that book with a passion).

Haha, I've read a 1200 page book by James Clavell (not sure which of the asia series it was anymore) but I found it incredibly dull...still read it though :P

Motomo
November 16th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Orwell: The Life by D.J.Taylor

Picked it up off a clearance rack for $2.00

billgoldberg
November 16th, 2008, 04:04 PM
'The Origin of Species' by Charles Darwin, I plan to read 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins after.

My favorite book of all time is '1984' by George Orwell.

Any good books on Evolution or the arguments against Evolution that I should read?

I've been trying to find good arguments against Evolution, but I haven't found one worth considering so far - most are misinformation given and spread around by Creationists and the like - if anyone can point me to a book that actually shows real weakness's in the Evolution theory, please post them.

The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins is a great book.

Phreaker
November 16th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I just finished Transformation by Mary Shelley

starcraft.man
June 23rd, 2009, 10:19 PM
Resurrected! Was about to start my own and ask, when I was pretty sure I'd seen it before.

I'm reading 2 concurrently. My leisure book is the Hobbit, been putting off reading that for a while. A very good book so far, I'd expect no less after reading the LotR trilogy, Tolkien was a gifted writer and makes me jealous. Also, I want to enjoy the book before the movie, did it the other way with the trilogy, took a bit of fun out.

My more uh... work oriented book is A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux by Sobell (link (http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Guide-Ubuntu-Linux-Versions/dp/0137003889/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245791832&sr=8-1)). A fantastic read, I never thought I'd be happy to read a textbook but this one is so well organized and written. I kinda got frustrated reading different tuts on many disparate sites, having a consolidated reference is better (at least to me). At 1200 pages, it's a bit heavy for reading on the go though...

ratcheer
June 23rd, 2009, 11:03 PM
I just finished The Source by James A. Michener. It is awesome. It took me about two months.

Now, I have started a quick, easy read - Folly and Glory by Larry McMurtry.

Tim

SushiR
June 23rd, 2009, 11:23 PM
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

y6FgBn)~v
June 23rd, 2009, 11:48 PM
The Killing Star by Charles R. Pellegrino and George Zebrowski

chaslinux
June 24th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Edgar Rice Burroughs' The Moon Maid. It's a shame libraries always stick his books in the children's section. I guess I'm still a child at heart!

The next book I want to read is Emma Jane Hogbin's Front End Drupal. It just looks interesting.

NightwishFan
June 24th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Currently also reading The Hobbit. I just bought a nice box set of Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit, and a nice game to go with it. (BFME2 in Wine). After that I will probably read some Michael Crichton.

LowSky
June 24th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Generation Kill by Evan Wright
A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

I like to read a few at a time

sharathpaps
June 24th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Oliver's Story by Erich Segal