PDA

View Full Version : anybody who likes Gimmie?

vishzilla
February 3rd, 2008, 01:10 PM
I just installed Gimmie...its quite a good alternative Panel for GNOME. I dont see many people talking about it...anybody out there who likes Gimmie?

23meg
February 3rd, 2008, 01:24 PM
* raises hand *

I haven't got used to it to the point of using it full time, but I do experiment with it from time to time. It's promising.

Krydahl
February 15th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Just found and added it, so it's too early to say for sure, but it looks promising.

It doesn't seem to want to open tomboy notes at the moment. Anyone else having that problem?

aaaantoine
February 15th, 2008, 05:07 PM
It's crashed on me twice. Both times, I was dealing with the People section of the bar. But at least it has a crash notification tool...

It looks like it would be a good replacement for the Gnome panel and Avant. But only when it's usable.

Mazza558
February 15th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I had 2 major problems with it:

-Speed - it was too unresponsive as a menu for me to use efficiently
-It spawns a window for the window list or AWN when clicking on it.

aaaantoine
February 15th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Okay, I was using 0.2.7 before. I just tried 0.2.8 and it isn't nearly as crashy, but it still needs quite a bit of work.

- A lot of icons are scaled up from much-smaller-than-default 48x48. Ugly.
- No auto-hide. Madness!
- No scaling. Only made worse by the fact that there is no auto-hide.
- Come to think of it, there aren't really any visible configuration options to speak of.

ahood
February 16th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I just installed it yesterday. Been playing around with it and I have had no problems thus far. I run compiz-fusion and it seems to do okay. It is there in my top panel. Is it meant to replace the 'Applications, Places, System' that is in the panel?

I probably would prefer the first tab say System rather than Linux, but this is just me.

Configuration is pretty sparse, but maybe it is meant to be so.

Overall, I like it.

Sukarn
February 18th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Is it meant to replace the 'Applications, Places, System' that is in the panel?

Yes, its meant as a replacement for that.

23meg
February 18th, 2008, 08:12 PM
As well as the panel itself completely. It can work as a panel applet, or standalone.

FuturePilot
February 18th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I like it. It's a nice menu. Though I've found the standalone to be a bit buggy. It always crashes on me.

theburningor
September 19th, 2008, 08:12 PM
No one has yet figured out how to make it not spawn a window whenever you click on it? I use Avant and the fade in/fade out is really obnoxious

Therion
September 19th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Used the Gimme "menu" for a long time under Feisty, then went back to the standard Gnome Panel when I upgraded to Gutsy, then found Gimme again shortly after upgrading to Hardy and used it for a long time... Now I'm back to the standard Gnome Panel.

Gimme is nice enough, I guess, I like it a lot; it just doesn't offer enough to convince me to switch over permanently. Same thing with Gnome-Do, which I dearly loved until I figured out how to actually USE the... oh geez... the icon that looks like a fireball... Can't think of what it's called now! The "Deskbar" applet I think it's called.