PDA

View Full Version : I missed you guys (and some ranting...)

cartisdm
February 3rd, 2008, 09:22 AM
I haven't been on the ubuntu forums for a while because (those of you who remember) I recently got a new fish. With new hobbies comes new obsessions. I got hooked on googling anything I could find on cool fish and tank setups. I found a pretty popular forum called "Monster Fish Keepers." They had tons of good information so I joined and made a few newbie posts asking dumb questions.

Well.....that brings me to my rant. Those friggin' moderators have some monster fish poles stuck up their rears. Every thread I started got moved - which seems normal enough but the feel you get from the private messages just didn't seem nice. Obviously I've had a thread moved, that's what mods do. But twice I had a thread moved with a nice message to going along with it saying "Post in the correct spot"....only to have it MOVED again saying "Post in the correct spot"!!! The friggin' mod put the thread there, don't blame me.

And as a newb I'm bound to ask questions that have already been asked. BUT my post kept getting deleted. Obviously I can look around and see the stickies but when I want to know how long my 10gal tank takes to cycle, reading about a friggin' 500gal tank does me NO GOOD! Solution? Make a post asking some specifics. But Nooooo......stupid mods go and tell me that it's a redundant topic. DUH!! Topics get repeated, otherwise what would people talk about in forums?!! How many times have you all seen some newb ask how to get his wireless working?!!!!! I'm sure they googled it, but they want REAL ANSWERS!:mad::mad::mad:

Anywho, I just wanted to say I love you UbuntuForums and all the mods that are included. Thanks for not being a bunch of pricks and being a welcoming community to anyone who browses within.

RAV TUX
February 3rd, 2008, 09:23 AM
I haven't been on the ubuntu forums for a while because (those of you who remember) I recently got a new fish. With new hobbies comes new obsessions. I got hooked on googling anything I could find on cool fish and tank setups. I found a pretty popular forum called "Monster Fish Keepers." They had tons of good information so I joined and made a few newbie posts asking dumb questions.

Well.....that brings me to my rant. Those friggin' moderators have some monster fish poles stuck up their rears. Every thread I started got moved - which seems normal enough but the feel you get from the private messages just didn't seem nice. Obviously I've had a thread moved, that's what mods do. But twice I had a thread moved with a nice message to going along with it saying "Post in the correct spot"....only to have it MOVED again saying "Post in the correct spot"!!! The friggin' mod put the thread there, don't blame me.

And as a newb I'm bound to ask questions that have already been asked. BUT my post kept getting deleted. Obviously I can look around and see the stickies but when I want to know how long my 10gal tank takes to cycle, reading about a friggin' 500gal tank does me NO GOOD! Solution? Make a post asking some specifics. But Nooooo......stupid mods go and tell me that it's a redundant topic. DUH!! Topics get repeated, otherwise what would people talk about in forums?!! How many times have you all seen some newb ask how to get his wireless working?!!!!! I'm sure they googled it, but they want REAL ANSWERS!:mad::mad::mad:

Anywho, I just wanted to say I love you UbuntuForums and all the mods that are included. Thanks for not being a bunch of pricks and being a welcoming community to anyone who browses within.I also keep fish...but I have never posted in any fish forums. I found talking to people who either own or work at aquarium stores the best...

I have learned some stuff so you should just post your questions here, I am sure there are other ubuntuforums.org members who can also help you....

btw... Welcome Back! I hope the community here can help you with your new hobby.

(& yes the staff here is awesome, & the old & the new mods that have been brought on are awesome people)

LaRoza
February 3rd, 2008, 09:24 AM
Anywho, I just wanted to say I love you UbuntuForums and all the mods that are included. Thanks for not being a bunch of pricks and being a welcoming community to anyone who browses within.

Thread moved, post in the correct forum.

(We love you too, probably :))

cartisdm
February 3rd, 2008, 09:27 AM
Thread moved, post in the correct forum.

(We love you too, probably :))

If I remember correctly LaRoza, I believe I was to refer to you only as a bot ;)

LaRoza
February 3rd, 2008, 09:31 AM
If I remember correctly LaRoza, I believe I was to refer to you only as a bot ;)

I am a bot, written in Lisp.

I don't understand this "love" concept, but it seems to get good results.

Do you mind if I move your thread to the programming talk, so another mod moves it?

cartisdm
February 3rd, 2008, 09:33 AM
Do you mind if I move your thread to the programming talk, so another mod moves it?

Haha if you do that I'll just have to find another forums so that I can rant about this one

LaRoza
February 3rd, 2008, 09:35 AM
Haha if you do that I'll just have to find another forums so that I can rant about this one

I wouldn't do that, don't worry.

What kind of fish do you have? (I don't remember other thread)

cartisdm
February 3rd, 2008, 09:41 AM
It's a bichir named Gary (his full name is Gyarados like the pokemon lol). He's only about 4 1/2 inches now but he grows to be 12 to 15 inches. Here's a pic of some random one I found on google:

LaRoza
February 3rd, 2008, 09:43 AM
It's a bichir named Gary (his full name is Gyarados like the pokemon lol). He's only about 4 1/2 inches now but he grows to be 12 to 15 inches. Here's a pic of some random one I found on google:

Cool.

(I know, Gyarados are cool, but Magikarp are useless, worth training though, not that I know anything about such things...)

cartisdm
February 3rd, 2008, 09:48 AM
You kidding? Once I discovered emulators last year during college (I know, I'm probably a little slow) I got pokemon red (the old school one) and played that for HOURS haha. I'm not kidding, I got literally everyone on my hall to play it.

btw, I promise I'm not a loser I just enjoy the finer things in life......:D

LaRoza
February 3rd, 2008, 09:54 AM
You kidding? Once I discovered emulators last year during college (I know, I'm probably a little slow) I got pokemon red (the old school one) and played that for HOURS haha. I'm not kidding, I got literally everyone on my hall to play it.

I played blue.

cartisdm
February 3rd, 2008, 09:57 AM
I played blue.

And that is why, LaRoza, why you and I will never be in harmony.

btw, notice we're the only two people posting in this thread? You'd think love, ranting, dragon fish, and pokemon would attract a larger crowd....

hhhhhx
February 3rd, 2008, 10:01 AM

btw, notice we're the only two people posting in this thread? You'd think love, ranting, dragon fish, and pokemon would attract a larger crowd....
i've actually been reading the conversation, just haven't posted yet

cartisdm
February 3rd, 2008, 10:05 AM
i've actually been reading the conversation, just haven't posted yet

Good to know we can attract a crowd. I've just been trying to think of anything that can keep me from going to bed considering it's 4am and I'm bored haha

hhhhhx
February 3rd, 2008, 10:08 AM
Good to know we can attract a crowd. I've just been trying to think of anything that can keep me from going to bed considering it's 4am and I'm bored haha
diddo, sept its still only 1 here, im usually on the forums till bout 400-430. :) , also did u notice that laRosa just changed avartars

LaRoza
February 3rd, 2008, 10:08 AM

Actually, we'd need each other to really get them all. (151)

I bet you don't even know how to get Mew.

cartisdm
February 3rd, 2008, 10:12 AM
Actually, we'd need each other to really get them all. (151)

I bet you don't even know how to get Mew.

First of all.....way to trip me out on the avatar change.

Secondly....what was the last one anyway?

Lastly....as for Mew....I used the gameshark myself:D but I remember it had something to do with going back to one of the caves and doing something

LaRoza
February 3rd, 2008, 10:15 AM
First of all.....way to trip me out on the avatar change.

Secondly....what was the last one anyway?

Lastly....as for Mew....I used the gameshark myself:D but I remember it had something to do with going back to one of the caves and doing something

That is Mewtwo probably, Mew can only be gotten by doing something weird.

For the Red/Blue/Yellow series, there was 151 (Bulbasaur to Mew)

There is going to be themed week soon, Monty Python. This is temporary.

cartisdm
February 3rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
That is Mewtwo probably, Mew can only be gotten by doing something weird.

For the Red/Blue/Yellow series, there was 151 (Bulbasaur to Mew)

There is going to be themed week soon, Monty Python. This is temporary.

Yeah you're right, it was mewtwo now that I think about it, oh well. Is there a working emulator for NDS? Last I remember when I was trying to find one they didn't work well. I know there's a pokemon diamond and pearl edition I believe and it's only for NDS. Wouldn't mind wasting more hours on that:)

LaRoza
February 3rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
diddo, sept its still only 1 here, im usually on the forums till bout 400-430. :) , also did u notice that laRosa just changed avartars

It is 0418 here.

(LaRoza) Yes, changed my title too.

There is no point in hiding it, for those of you reading this thread, I was a Pokemon player back in the day.

LaRoza
February 3rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
Yeah you're right, it was mewtwo now that I think about it, oh well. Is there a working emulator for NDS? Last I remember when I was trying to find one they didn't work well. I know there's a pokemon diamond and pearl edition I believe and it's only for NDS. Wouldn't mind wasting more hours on that:)

I don't know. I used to play it on my N64 with the game boy pack.

I only have an affinity for the original, and don't really care for the modern versions at all.

cartisdm
February 3rd, 2008, 10:23 AM
It is 0418 here.

(LaRoza) Yes, changed my title too.

There is no point in hiding it, for those of you reading this thread, I was a Pokemon player back in the day.

Sounds like we're in the same timezone. Where you from?

I only have an affinity for the original, and don't really care for the modern versions at all.

As for the pokemon, I hear you on the original stuff. I'm even in the facebook group, "When I was a kid there was only 151 pokemon and life was simple":lolflag:

hhhhhx
February 3rd, 2008, 10:25 AM
i used to collect the pokeman cards, but when i realized that were worth a lot, i sold them all. :(

cartisdm
February 3rd, 2008, 10:28 AM
i used to collect the pokeman cards, but when i realized that were worth a lot, i sold them all. :(

I have a collection too somewhere. Probably at my parents house in their attic collecting dust. I wonder if I could sell 'em anywhere......:lol::lol:

hhhhhx
February 3rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
I have a collection too somewhere. Probably at my parents house in their attic collecting dust. I wonder if I could sell 'em anywhere......:lol::lol:

dunno, i remember that everyone was going crazy because of the infamous holographic cards. haha

cartisdm
February 3rd, 2008, 10:40 AM
Ok all...I'm going to bed. it's way past my bedtime and I have to be up in like 4 hours. I need to get some rest before the superbowl......

I'll be back in the morning I'm sure to pick up where this left off. Adios

hhhhhx
February 3rd, 2008, 10:44 AM
Ok all...I'm going to bed. it's way past my bedtime and I have to be up in like 4 hours. I need to get some rest before the superbowl......

I'll be back in the morning I'm sure to pick up where this left off. Adios
peace out :)

pieisgood4589
February 3rd, 2008, 05:00 PM

Runescape... *drools* :lolflag:

mips
February 3rd, 2008, 06:25 PM
Obviously I can look around and see the stickies but when I want to know how long my 10gal tank takes to cycle...

Why put a fish you want to grow to 15inches in a 10gal tank. From what I recall they won't outgrow their environment and somehow stunt their own growth.

cartisdm
February 3rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
Why put a fish you want to grow to 15inches in a 10gal tank. From what I recall they won't outgrow their environment and somehow stunt their own growth.

He's little now and it's easier to get the hang of taking care of him. I have a 40gal that I'm setting up this weekend for him.

Speaking of which I'd love some ideas on a theme to decorate the tank:) I'm thinking a beach style with like a corona bottle in tank and maybe some palm trees with a hammock

mips
February 3rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
Speaking of which I'd love some ideas on a theme to decorate the tank:) I'm thinking a beach style with like a corona bottle in tank and maybe some palm trees with a hammock

Try and recreate the creatures natural habital, soil, plants & light.

I see enough polution on a daily basis. I do drink corona though ;)