PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Has a presence

Mindless1
February 3rd, 2008, 07:55 AM
Well, I really like ubuntu, and I am proud i found out how great it was, i think the best thing is when someone asks you what OS you use, and your reply is ubuntu. They respond with what is that? and you can have the satisfaction of knowing they don't know what they are missing out on.

i recently took a short term role job in a telemarketing center, before i left for a holiday.

The best thing was, the whole office 2 levels and over 50 computers ALL ran on ubuntu, and used a Native VOIP linux program.

I thought it was excellent, it is great when you see things like that springing up in your work place.

shafin
February 3rd, 2008, 08:21 AM
Thats really encouraging.If only the big corporations started seeing the light!

hardyn
February 3rd, 2008, 08:24 AM
That is great... but i do have some issues with the way that alot of businesses treat free software.

I do feel a little strongly about this... If you are a commercial operation and profiting from the use of "free" software, I believe a certain donation should be made to development of the software that you are conducting you business with. you are financially profiting from software developed by people that arn't.

I do think its great that linux is starting to pick up some steam, but throwing a bit of money back at them would certainly be appreciated (even it pays for beer on the weeknd) and again only speed the development of the product if the developers can take on paid full time staff.

thanks for listening ;)

hhhhhx
February 3rd, 2008, 10:00 AM
that cool! :)

hyper_ch
February 3rd, 2008, 11:26 AM
Thats really encouraging.If only the big corporations started seeing the light!

Some do...

Mindless1
February 10th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I think the company hired out outsources the network setup, so the people who set it up would inturn be responsable to any donations not he company. I think it was still cool to see in the business environment, you don't come across it to often.