PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Quitting the forums and Ubuntu =(

pieisgood4589
February 3rd, 2008, 07:28 AM
Hello everyone. I have decided to give a speech. After using Ubuntu and the forums for a year, I am sadly resigning and switching to MEPIS. Ubuntu was a great starting point for everyone interested in Linux, but something about it wasn't right- so I searched to find the perfect distro. MEPIS took the cake.

I want to say thanks to everyone at the forums, especially to bodhi_zazen, (who still didn't accept my group request :wink:) for really getting me involved, and everyone at the Ubuntuforums-beginners IRC channel for a lot of fun =) I have made my decision and am now moving to the MEPIS forum, which I felt I could lend help on more than using MEPIS and helping Ubuntu. :lolflag:

It's been fun, guys. My username at MEPIS will be "pieisgood4589" as well, in case you want to check in. My website is also below, but has nothing to do with Linux =). Thanks for a great time. Bibi...:-({|=

-pieisgood4589, 2-3-08
www.thelastpage.tk

Ripfox
February 3rd, 2008, 07:37 AM
Well with 114 posts in a year, I'm sure you won't go through withdrawals :rolleyes:

Good luck! :)

hardyn
February 3rd, 2008, 07:39 AM
you could certainly perform some distro infidelity... just becuase you choose to you mepis, no issues there, does not mean you have to give up on us back in ubuntu land; you will be more than welcome to participate in both forums, i promise...

anyway, happy trails.

lespaul_rentals
February 3rd, 2008, 07:40 AM
You can still stay here, you know? But the MEPIS forums are very friendly and while much smaller in number of members, very helpful all the same. MEPIS is a great distro.

Whiffle
February 3rd, 2008, 07:41 AM
I'm all broken up over this...

cya!

lespaul_rentals
February 3rd, 2008, 07:54 AM
I'm all broken up over this...

cya!

No need to be a smart alec about it, he wasn't being rude or anything.

LaRoza
February 3rd, 2008, 07:55 AM
Well, you can still contribute and browse the forums, no matter what you use.

Mepis was good last time I checked it. Have fun and happy computing :)

Whiffle
February 3rd, 2008, 07:57 AM
I'm not. I'm just pointing out in my own little way that people come and go every day, and don't feel the need to make a post about it. Heck, I've come and gone from ubuntu at least three times now and have yet to make a post about it. Maybe I'm behind on my quota?

EDIT: Then again, i'm used to much much rougher forums than this.

Mateo
February 3rd, 2008, 07:58 AM
i don't think i could use any distro other than debian, ubuntu, or fedora, just because i think repository size is a very important part of picking a distro.

GuDoN
February 3rd, 2008, 08:14 AM
:popcorn: okay that was rather sad

I am sorry, but I have started using Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy now, after intensively using SuSE 10.3 - I have migrated to Windows and now again Ubuntu.

I just want to say, enjoy your Linux experience, yes, sometimes you need to move on, but I can tell you from my experience that I think that the top distributions would be Ubuntu and SuSE, just because it is very versatile and adaptable. :guitar:

But I wish you all the best for using your new found toy, may you brought back to all seriousness soon! And switch back to using Ubuntu.:mad:

Haha, and hello, I am Graham, I am a newbie to the forum, actually feel like contributing already, instead of JUST using the forums.

Pleased to meet all you millions! :KS

KiwiNZ
February 3rd, 2008, 08:14 AM
Hello everyone. I have decided to give a speech. After using Ubuntu and the forums for a year, I am sadly resigning and switching to MEPIS. Ubuntu was a great starting point for everyone interested in Linux, but something about it wasn't right- so I searched to find the perfect distro. MEPIS took the cake.

I want to say thanks to everyone at the forums, especially to bodhi_zazen, (who still didn't accept my group request :wink:) for really getting me involved, and everyone at the Ubuntuforums-beginners IRC channel for a lot of fun =) I have made my decision and am now moving to the MEPIS forum, which I felt I could lend help on more than using MEPIS and helping Ubuntu. :lolflag:

It's been fun, guys. My username at MEPIS will be "pieisgood4589" as well, in case you want to check in. My website is also below, but has nothing to do with Linux =). Thanks for a great time. Bibi...:-({|=

-pieisgood4589, 2-3-08
www.thelastpage.tk (http://www.thelastpage.tk)

Have fun with Mepis , its a fine Distro.
Always a place here even for non ubuntu folks

Kingsley
February 3rd, 2008, 08:34 AM
He'll come back ;). I prefer Fedora, but browsing their forum isn't 5% as fulfilling as Ubuntu Forums.

FuturePilot
February 3rd, 2008, 08:48 AM
Well at least you're still using Linux so it's not like you're completely leaving. ;) Don't be a stranger around here, there's nothing that says you have to use Ubuntu to be here ;)

pieisgood4589
February 3rd, 2008, 08:49 AM
BLLLLAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH HH!!!!

Sorry, but I woke today at 2:57AM because I was having Ubuntu forum withdrawal..... I'm switching back...

I dunno why, but the MEPIS forum users just aren't the same as here... Thanks, guys!

Thread name changed :lolflag:

RAV TUX
February 3rd, 2008, 08:50 AM

Sorry, but I woke today at 2:57AM because I was having Ubuntu forum withdrawal..... I'm switching back...

I dunno why, but the MEPIS forum users just aren't the same as here... Thanks, guys!

Thread name changed :lolflag:Welcome back!...I missed you!;)

(Proud to give you the first Welcome Back...what could be more honorable then a Welcome Back from your friendly, fellow ubuntuforums.org member: RAV TUX) ;)

Erik Trybom
February 3rd, 2008, 08:50 AM
Haha, I switched to Debian almost a year ago but I still hang out here because I like the community much better. (And they're more or less the same distributions anyway.)

Stay for as long as you like, whatever distribution you run!

pieisgood4589
February 3rd, 2008, 08:54 AM
It's just the forum and community... They should call it Crackbuntu Forums! LOL. It's so much more satisfying here then at the MEPIS forums... I'll go there once the community level goes up... But until then- I have officially returned!

LaRoza
February 3rd, 2008, 08:55 AM
It's just the forum and community... They should call it Crackbuntu Forums! LOL. It's so much more satisfying here then at the MEPIS forums... I'll go there once the community level goes up... But until then- I have officially returned!

Here is an official welcome back :)

RAV TUX
February 3rd, 2008, 08:57 AM

:lolflag:...Crackbuntu featuring the RatPoison (http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/) WM!

Awesome Idea!

hhhhhx
February 3rd, 2008, 10:06 AM
peace out, you will be missed

RAV TUX
February 3rd, 2008, 11:15 AM
peace out, you will be missedHe's back! ;)

pieisgood4589
February 3rd, 2008, 04:55 PM
He's back! ;)

LOL, that was, like, the 4th time you said that :lolflag:

FuturePilot
February 3rd, 2008, 05:20 PM
Welcome back! :)

yorkie
February 3rd, 2008, 05:30 PM
welcome back, there`s no place like gnome

ice60
February 3rd, 2008, 05:31 PM
i haven't used ubuntu as my main desktop for ages and it doesn't make any difference to the amount i post here. if you don't need help it shouldn't make much difference.

justin whitaker
February 3rd, 2008, 05:34 PM
welcome back, there`s no place like gnome

Other than KDE....

(runs for the door)

pieisgood4589
February 3rd, 2008, 08:12 PM
Other than KDE....

(runs for the door)

I <3 KDE...:KS

Condoulo
February 3rd, 2008, 08:24 PM
Does not matter what distribution you use, some areas of Linux are generally the same. Isn't MEPIS debian based anyway? So its not like things will be 100% different.

pieisgood4589
February 3rd, 2008, 08:26 PM
Does not matter what distribution you use, some areas of Linux are generally the same. Isn't MEPIS debian based anyway? So its not like things will be 100% different.

It used to be Ubuntu based for a couple of releases, but then it switched back to Debian... Why isn't anything Fedora based? Or openSUSE?:confused: Why all Debian?

LaRoza
February 3rd, 2008, 08:36 PM
It used to be Ubuntu based for a couple of releases, but then it switched back to Debian... Why isn't anything Fedora based? Or openSUSE?:confused: Why all Debian?

There are Fedora based distros, I have seen a bunch of them.

(Fedora is Red Hat based)

Condoulo
February 3rd, 2008, 08:38 PM

Me, I'm personally a fan of Debian myself. :) Never really used anything outside of Ubuntu/GNOME though. May give MEPIS a try.

xpod
February 3rd, 2008, 09:20 PM
Ach....i Leave every single day but,i`ll be back.....
Just as soon as i get home from work.

Tea with xfce please dear:)

Me, I'm personally a fan of Debian myself. Never really used anything outside of Ubuntu/GNOME though. May give MEPIS a try.

Pretty much the same myself in the 18/19 months since i discovered Ubuntu but i have dabbled wth a few non *buntu distros along the way.
Gnome is where the heart is though.Even though i`ve been using XFCE on my main pc since November-ish.
Of course though,theres a Gnome powered desktop right next to this atm....just in case.
Gnome sweet Gnome ;-)
Or is it Gnome slow Gnome??..mmmmm

pieisgood4589
February 3rd, 2008, 10:00 PM
Ach....i Leave every single day but,i`ll be back.....
Just as soon as i get home from work.

Tea with xfce please dear:)

Pretty much the same myself in the 18/19 months since i discovered Ubuntu but i have dabbled wth a few non *buntu distros along the way.
Gnome is where the heart is though.Even though i`ve been using XFCE on my main pc since November-ish.
Of course though,theres a Gnome powered desktop right next to this atm....just in case.
Gnome sweet Gnome ;-)
Or is it Gnome slow Gnome??..mmmmm

Definitely "KDE, sweet and lean and fast and magnificent KDE..." :lolflag:

frenchn00b
February 3rd, 2008, 10:07 PM

-pieisgood4589, 2-3-08
www.thelastpage.tk

Good choice !
Mepis has lot of drivers/hardware support/careful programming, and is very stable. It is a distro more professional also.

pieisgood4589
February 3rd, 2008, 11:27 PM
Good choice !
Mepis has lot of drivers/hardware support/careful programming, and is very stable. It is a distro more professional also.

Yup, and it looks a lot sleeker than *buntu!

raul_
February 3rd, 2008, 11:37 PM
I liked the SOLVED tag :D

You didn't need to abandon the forums. I'm not a Ubuntu user myself, but I like hanging out here

SunnyRabbiera
February 3rd, 2008, 11:42 PM

because fedora well... sucks, I really dislike it for the most part (mostly because of YUM)

ubuntu27
February 3rd, 2008, 11:57 PM
So you are back!! I was going to say goodbye to you.. ><

I am a Debian user but I participate in this forum (^^) :KS

Lostincyberspace
February 4th, 2008, 12:21 AM
because fedora well... sucks, I really dislike it for the most part (mostly because of YUM)

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurox)Aurox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurox) Young Polish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poland) distribution with emphasis for multimedia, graphics, localization and education.
Aurora SPARC Linux (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_SPARC_Linux) A distribution that brings a modified Fedora to Sun's SPARC architecture
BLAG Linux and GNU (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLAG_Linux_and_GNU) A Free Software-based distribution designed for basic home computing tasks.
Fox Linux (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Linux) An Italian distribution designed for basic home computing tasks.
K12Linux and K12LTSP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K12LTSP) A distribution for educational purpose. K12LTSP comes with LTSP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Terminal_Server_Project) support.
Linux XP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_XP) Distribution that focuses on ease of installation and use. Last release December 19 2005.
One Laptop Per Child (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Laptop_Per_Child) OS A heavily customized edition of Fedora Core with a special GUI called Sugar.
Yellow Dog Linux (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Dog_Linux) A Fedora-based distribution for the PowerPC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC) platform.
From wikipedia Fedora based distros there are more on distrowatch too.

Linuxratty
February 4th, 2008, 12:44 AM
You can still stay here, you know? But the MEPIS forums are very friendly and while much smaller in number of members, very helpful all the same. MEPIS is a great distro.

You sure can...I'm a Mepis user and I have no problem posting here.

Irihapeti
February 4th, 2008, 03:41 AM

It's enough to make a cat laugh [with reference to your avatar].

Welcome back - or did you even get to leave?

nikoPSK
February 4th, 2008, 04:06 AM
The forum still welcomes you! Did I hear cake? It's a lie... :(:-$:cry:

pieisgood4589
February 4th, 2008, 11:40 PM
It's enough to make a cat laugh [with reference to your avatar].

Welcome back - or did you even get to leave?

LOL, anyone read the Warrior Cats series by Erin Hunter? They are for younger readers, but I'm only 13... (shhhhhh!:lolflag:)

nikoPSK
February 5th, 2008, 12:52 AM
read em. :)

bodhi.zazen
February 5th, 2008, 01:09 AM

-pieisgood4589, 2-3-08
www.thelastpage.tk

LOL pieisgood4589 :)

Welcome back, and we consider you a member of the Ubuntu community no matter what OS you are running. Heck, half of the Beginner Team is probably not running Ubuntu ...

raul_
February 5th, 2008, 02:09 AM

Welcome back, and we consider you a member of the Ubuntu community no matter what OS you are running. Heck, half of the Beginner Team is probably not running Ubuntu ...

are you? :rolleyes:

pieisgood4589
February 5th, 2008, 03:31 AM

Speaking of which.... *cough ACCEPT cough*

(Not trying to be forceful, but after 5 months?) :popcorn:

pieisgood4589
February 5th, 2008, 04:22 AM
LOL. Just thought I'd bump the thread for more fun :KS

bodhi.zazen
February 5th, 2008, 04:26 AM
are you? :rolleyes:

LOL, at the moment, yes I am running Ubuntu with the OpenVZ kernel. Before that I was on fedora.

I play with a lot of OS in Virtualization.

I must say, when you are new I think there is a tendency to distro hop and re-install. To be honest, I find there is not that much different between the distros. Sure they all use a different package manager, but under the GUI the CLI is the same, and they all have config files ...

pieisgood4589
February 6th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I just ordered a free CD from the Fedora freemedia project, and I was accepted! :):):):):KS:KS:KS:KS

I think I'm switching from MEPIS to fedora- I've heard good things...

The freemedia should be more like the Ubuntu shipit! Not just 150-250 accepted, but every one!

odiseo77
February 6th, 2008, 12:45 AM
You can always dual boot Ubuntu+Fedora -or triple boot Ubuntu+Fedora+Mepis if you have enough free space on your HD (I must have like 5 different distros installed in my machine at the moment, and still have some free space for more :D)

pieisgood4589
February 6th, 2008, 01:24 AM
You can always dual boot Ubuntu+Fedora -or triple boot Ubuntu+Fedora+Mepis if you have enough free space on your HD (I must have like 5 different distros installed in my machine at the moment, and still have some free space for more :D)

LOL My HD is 20 GB. What a wimp...:lolflag:

pieisgood4589
February 6th, 2008, 09:44 PM
bump

nikoPSK
February 6th, 2008, 11:06 PM
bump

why bumping... we resolved the issueish. :)

pieisgood4589
February 7th, 2008, 10:34 PM
For more random talk. lol.

PS- I switched back to Ubuntu. Bibi, Fedora!:lolflag: